PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Ki Pool rogue talent question

Susano-wo
2014-08-01, 07:10 PM
The Ki Pool rogue talent says "This ki pool is similar to a ninja’s ki pool, but the rogue’s ki pool does not grant any extra attacks." I read this, given that they only called out "no extra attack ability," as granting all the abilities of the Ninja Ki Pool class feature(with an additional ability of using a Ki point to boost speed by 10ft.) Is my reading correct?

A rogue with this talent gains a small ki pool. This ki pool is similar to a ninja’s ki pool, but the rogue’s ki pool does not grant any extra attacks. The rogue gains a number of ki points equal to her Wisdom modifier (minimum 1). These ki points replenish at the start of each day. If she already has a ki pool, or gains a ki pool later, she gains half her Wisdom bonus (minimum 1) as bonus ki points to her ki pool. She can spend a ki point to gain a +10-foot bonus to movement until the end of her turn.

and

At 2nd level, a ninja gains a pool of ki points, supernatural energy she can use to accomplish amazing feats. The number of points in the ninja’s ki pool is equal to 1/2 her ninja level + her Charisma modifier. As long as she has at least 1 point in her ki pool, she treats any Acrobatics skill check made to jump as if she had a running start. At 10th level, she also reduces the DC of Acrobatics skill checks made to jump by 1/2 (although she still cannot move farther than her speed allows).

By spending 1 point from her ki pool, a ninja can make one additional attack at her highest attack bonus, but she can do so only when making a full attack. In addition, she can spend 1 point to increase her speed by 20 feet for 1 round. Finally, a ninja can spend 1 point from her ki pool to give herself a +4 insight bonus on Stealth checks for 1 round. Each of these powers is activated as a swift action. A ninja can gain additional powers that consume points from her ki pool by selecting certain ninja tricks.

The ki pool is replenished each morning after 8 hours of rest or meditation; these hours do not need to be consecutive. If the ninja possesses levels in another class that grants points to a ki pool, ninja levels stack with the levels of that class to determine the total number of ki points in the combined pool, but only one ability score modifier is added to the total. The choice of which score to use is made when the second class ability is gained, and once made, the choice is set. The ninja can now use ki points from this pool to power the abilities of every class she possesses that grants a ki pool.

grarrrg
2014-08-01, 09:04 PM
I read this, given that they only called out "no extra attack ability," as granting all the abilities of the Ninja Ki Pool class feature(with an additional ability of using a Ki point to boost speed by 10ft.) Is my reading correct?

Yes?

Argument in favor: It says "similar to Ninja Ki Pool, but no extra attacks", which implies it lets you do whatever else the Ninja Ki Pool does (Acrobatics, movement, Stealth bonus).

Argument opposed: It ends by saying "spend a Ki to gain +10ft. movement", but the Ninja Ki Pool lets you spend a Ki to gain + 20 movement. If you got both, that would make the Rogue's +Movement COMPLETELY WORTHLESS, which would imply you should NOT get the Ninja powers. As why give a strictly worse ability when you already get the better version?

Personally, it's a weak enough Talent 'as-is' that I would allow the basic Ninja stuff as well (Acrobatics, 20 movement, and Stealth).

Psyren
2014-08-02, 07:58 AM
By RAI it might not give you anything else, but by RAW the only thing you don't get is the extra attack. Thus you should indeed get the other three things grarrrg mentioned.

I would say enjoy it until they figure out how "powerful" it is and issue a FAQ to nerf it :smalltongue:

Susano-wo
2014-08-02, 05:43 PM
well, my DM/Wife will enjoy it on the NPC I was helping her stat if she chooses its, but yeah. :smallbiggrin:
thanks, glad I'm not crazy :smallwink: (though I did miss the movement bit. You are probably right about RAI, but that is pretty weak, just to get access to Ninja archetype talents.)