PDA

View Full Version : AMiH Sidequest: Vladimir's New Day

inexorabletruth
2014-08-01, 11:01 PM
You have a very pleasant night’s sleep in the blessed garden of the druids and wake up with Celia snuggling up to you in a tangled mess of limbs and leafy hair. The soft rhythm of her breathing is broken by a loving coo sound she makes as she shifts her weight onto you when you try to get up. “Don’t go to work today,” she whispers as she drapes a woody leg and arm around you. She doesn’t seem fully awake yet and may have drifted back to sleep, but the birds have begun chirping and the squirrels are hopping about from limb to limb in the beautiful forest garden. It’s definitely time to start the day.

Lexin
2014-08-07, 06:04 AM
Vlad lies on his back remembering how the yesterday went. Usually his days are not that ...interesting. That said, in a city slowly succumbing to madness it was somewhat to be expected.
He sighs quietly, trying not to wake Celia too early and begins his morning as usual.
"Sleep sleep."
Disentangling from Celia's limbs, quick bath in a nearby river, choosing the somewhat-clean clothes etc.
Before he goes out he wakes up Celia.
"I promised to help out some of my friends and Mr. Grundy today. I will try to come back earlier than yesterday, and I am starting teaching again from tomorrow. DO you want to do anything fun tonight?"

...how much would a theater ticket cost?

inexorabletruth
2014-08-07, 06:52 PM
Celia smiles and stretches her long slender limbs while issuing a luxurious yawn. “Well, Pumpkin is giving birth to her litter today. We’re all very excited. We’re going to throw them a birthday party.” her eyes light up at the thought and she snaps her fingers with excitement. “The Shimmerlings could handle the lights and the Petals could handle the decorations!” she says with an adoring laugh.

Celia has a tendency to name every creature in the Druid’s sanctuary, so it is sometimes hard to keep up with all the names. But you recall that Pumpkin is a chubby little chipmunk with an orange hue to her striped fur.

“I bet I could convince Volup to play the pipes too. It’s been too long since we’ve heard her play.”

Tickets to the Master’s Theater vary in price from a single copper to a gold piece depending on where you wish to sit. However, the distance would be a stretch for Celia, since Dryad’s can’t stray more than 300 yards from their tree.

Lexin
2014-08-08, 06:43 AM
Vlad quickly adjusts to the situation despite his brain still being half asleep.
"Hmm, it would be fun." as any way to spend time with her is...
"I could ask mother, if she knows anyone who would like to come here and sing a couple songs." she had a few contacts among local bards
"Do you think it is a good idea." ... the inhabitants of the Respite could be a private bunch, it was better to ask.

inexorabletruth
2014-08-08, 09:59 AM
A grig hops onto Celia's outstretched hand, then crawls up her arm, tickling her and making her laugh merrily. "Of course! The more the merrier... so long as they don't mind throwing a birthday party for chipmunk pups." Her smile is warm as she begins to head toward the spring. "Care to join me for a bath before you go?" Celia never really understood what it was like to be in a rush. Her sole responsibility was to protect a small cluster of trees that is basically guarded by an army of druids... so occasionally, she had to "convince" someone to put out their campfire. Her days are usually spent laughing, dancing and languishing with the other creatures of the garden.

Lexin
2014-08-09, 11:10 AM
Hesitation can be clearly seen in Vlad's face, but in the end he says.
"I already bathed and I need to help my new friends I am afraid."
"Next time for sure." he says, more to convince himself that he should go than anyone else.
"I will ask, and even if for nobody else, they could sing for us." he shrugs "I will try to find someone then." he says and nods.

He walks to Celia and kisses her with passion "Have a nice day." he says to her before going. The smile stays on his face for a long time.

Lexin
2014-08-11, 06:28 AM
If Vlad wanted to go to find his mother to talk about the chipmunk party... should I do it here and now. Or after the group IC part for this day is done?

inexorabletruth
2014-08-11, 11:27 AM
That is up to you. Do you wish to visit your mother, or do you wish to go to the forge?

Lexin
2014-08-11, 02:02 PM
He would look for his mother. (It is more likely that she is in her apartment now than in the evening...)

inexorabletruth
2014-08-12, 05:46 PM
Your path leads you through the exciting streets of the Tourist District, where peddlers and street vendors try to sell any variety of meats, spices, nonmagical medicines, trinkets, souvenirs, gadgets, gizmos and luxury items. Fire-breathers, dancers, acrobats, gamers and musicians begin to set up and perform on nearly every street corner and adventurers, merchants, globetrotters and dignitaries meander out of peppered in hotels to meet the new day.

Not far outside the Lutes and Liars, Master Silverwater has set up some housing for some of his higher ranking guild affiliates. In spite of being right next to the second biggest attraction in the tourist district, it’s cul de sac design and high archway pass makes it feel warm, quiet and secluded. You make it to a beautiful two story house with an ivy-draped awning. The prestigious house of your mother.

You can hear her talking to her roommate over breakfast on the other side of the door.

http://th02.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2013/283/9/a/medieval_town_by_shutupandwhisper-d6q07yv.jpg

Lexin
2014-08-13, 10:02 AM
Vlad thinks for a moment if he should interrupt the conversation... but then it is his mother's house, and he was always welcome here.
He knocks to the door and waits patiently.

inexorabletruth
2014-08-14, 06:18 PM
Your mother opens the door and her eyes brighten noticeably when she sees you. “Vladimir!” She wraps you in a warm hug and pulls you inside. “It’s so good to see you. Come in, sit down! We’ve got some tea on if you’re thirsty.”

Lexin
2014-08-18, 02:13 PM
Vlad smiles and walks in "I would love to, though I am here just for a moment. I promised to help out some of my friends." he says.

"Just by the way, though. Do you know anyone who wouldn't mind performing for a bunch of pixies, fey and other forest tenants?"
*pause*
"On a chipmunk birthday party?" now he waits patiently to see her expression.

inexorabletruth
2014-08-18, 04:07 PM
Her face is unreadable at first, but in spite of her remarkable effort to take your offer seriously, her eyebrow invariably raises in an expression of mirth and confusion. “Did I hear you correctly when you said ‘chipmunk birthday party’? Is that a slang you kids are using?”

Lexin
2014-08-25, 02:22 PM
Vlad smiles slightly "No slang here. You remember Celia? My girlfriend. I did mention her last time I came to see you...
Well, it seems dryads make all kinds of friends." he adds, as if that explained everything.

inexorabletruth
2014-08-27, 09:38 AM
She gives you a mother’s smile, puts her hands on your shoulders and sighs a bit, then nods. “I’d love to. It would be nice to finally meet Celia. The way you go on about her, she must be an absolute delight. What kind of birthday songs do chipmunks like? I’ve never performed for rodents, though I’ve played for rats and vermin,” she says with a wink. “I imagine they enjoy thoroughly different tunes though.”

"I can help you pick out a playlist, dearie," her roommate says with a bit of mirth. It's always impossible to tell if her roommate is being sincere or taunting, because of the joviality in her tone and expression, but everyone always seems to just assume she means well, because she's never been anything less than kind.

Lexin
2014-09-02, 07:53 AM
Vlad decides to consider her offer as sincere, he wouldn't suspect anyone of any wrongdoing without a proof or previous experience after all.
"Than you. Both of you." he says only with a wide smile on his face.
He joins them for a tea, but after inviting his mother for this special birthday party his mind wanders much closer to the problems from the previous day.
Well, he promised to help and he will... just after a tea with his mother, it would be rude to leave just after coming here...

inexorabletruth
2014-09-04, 09:52 AM
Your mother pours you a cup of hot tea and places a small pastry on a plate in front of you, then sits down. “So how are things at your new job? Have you made some new friends?”

Due to your semi-draconic appearance, your mother has a history of worrying about you getting along with others. While Ibra Down is a generally open-minded and tolerant city, kids can still be cruel, and your mother has had a few run-ins with guards for bashing a lute against another parents head for allowing their child to mock you. Still, maturity and an overabundance of fines, has settled her down more. And since you’re an adult now, she assumes you can take care of herself. It doesn’t stop her from worrying about her baby though.

Lexin
2014-09-09, 12:21 PM
"The job at master's Grundy's place? It was just a temporary thing, I am not a smith, and probably never would be. That said, I still teach the children in the afternoons at the Respite and am thinking about starting an alchemist business after I save up enough to rent a lab. The job at the smithy wasn't a waste of time though, I met a bunch of people who seem nice. We event went all together to grab a beer yesterday." then he remembers what exactly happened yesterday "Hmm... after all maybe it would be better to talk about something else. How was your week?"

inexorabletruth
2014-09-09, 08:01 PM
“Well, the guild has been in a frenzy lately. Mister Silverwater is constantly meeting with the courtiers in the Royal District to protect the rights of spell casters, and due to the guilds public stance as arcane sympathizers, attendance at the theater has been on the decline. But as long as the aristocracy continues to fund us, the guild and the theater will remain strong.” She takes a sip of her tea. “Jenny and I were thinking about going on a vacation.” she nods over at her roommate, Jenny, to indicate her. “It’s been ages since I’ve slung a pack on my shoulders and put the road behind me, and I think I could use a break from city life for a while. I was actually thinking about inviting you along. I was about your age when I went on my first adventure.”

Lexin
2014-09-24, 07:10 AM
Vlad thinks on that for a moment "I might take you up on your offer. I always wanted to see a bit more of the world than this city... I will need to think about it though... and talk it out with Celia. It's such a shame she cannot leave the Respite..." he says with a pang of sadness, but then changes the topic.
"Ah, it would also be good if you watched out for yourself on the streets... and everywhere else probably too. Just yesterday we met a group of... arcane hunters, for lack of a better word. They seem to hunt everyone who seem even remotely gifted and there is someone funding them in the city, I am afraid."
He says, concern on his face.

inexorabletruth
2014-09-25, 03:14 PM
Jenny's look goes from playful to serious and she crosses her arms defensively. Your mom adjusts her posture as well and clasps her tea with both hands.

"Actually, that's part of why we thought now might be a good time to get on the road. Rumors tell that the plague is only affecting Hepmonaland. This just isn't a safe place for arcane types to settle down any more. We don't want to sit here and wait for an assassin's arrow, or the madness to claim us. I've been growing restless for years in these city walls anyway... and I prefer to face my enemies with a weapon in my hand, if I may be frank." There is a pause. "You have your Celia, and I don't want to keep you from her. We will most likely leave at the end of the month, or sooner if unfortunate situations arise. If you wish to come with us, I will of course wait for you or leave earlier than planned to suit your own schedule. You know I never was the type to hold fast to a plan anyway," she says with a sad laugh.

Lexin
2014-09-29, 07:51 AM
Vlad simply nods after hearing that, agreeing silently.
"A month, huh? At least I have a lot of time to think about it." he says.

"Sorry for spoiling the mood." he adds after a moment.
"Well, it was nice talking to you, but I am afraid I got to go now."

I don't know what more to talk with them... that said, it isn't really likely that I will join the main thread now...
No idea what to do next.

inexorabletruth
2014-09-30, 06:59 AM
OOC:

It's a sandbox. The world is your oyster. If you wanted, you could convince her to go now. She's your mom, and chaotic in nature anyway. Knowing her, she probably has her adventuring pack ready. Or you could head back to the the respite and go hang out with the druids. You could hit up a bar and get into some trouble, or go take a bounty at Krusk Irontusk's Mercenary Guild. You could take in some entertainment at the master's theater. You could offer your services to the city guard and start patrolling Ibra Down's border... or heck. You could just derail and leave town.

Or you could do any number of more mundane things. You could rededicate yourself to becoming a teacher at the respite, or help Grundy at the forge, or just get a job, marry Celia, have some kids and grow old and fat. It's up to you. But the story goes in whatever direction it goes in based on the choices you make. The fate of Oerth turns on the whims of you and your group.

Lexin
2014-10-21, 01:02 PM
I've checked the date. Over 3 weeks and it is the first time I can post. No point in prolonging it. Let's say that Vlad went for a big adventure with his mother and I would drop out as a player.

Maybe from time to time I would read the IC, because it is fun.
I hope that in the future, when my life stabilizes, and there would be one of your games on the forums you would let me join.

Have fun with the game, and good luck in general. :smallsmile:

inexorabletruth
2014-11-02, 08:05 AM
Ok. You will be missed. When/if you rejoin, please contact me first, so we can figure out what level your character would be and we can hash out, in summary, what your adventures were.

I'm thinking some oversea travels, or perhaps even some trans-dimensional adventures. Oerth doesn't have as many draconic lands as does Dragonlance setting. Perhaps your mom takes you to see some of your heritage in the Dragon Isles of Krynn. :smallwink:

In case you aren't familiar with the setting, here's a summary excerpt:

Dragon Isles
The Dragon Isles (incorrectly called the Isle of Dragons in certain sources) are the ancestral homes of the good dragons, where many of them dwell by choice. These Isles serve as their home after their self-imposed exile from Ansalon during the Age of Might and early Age of Despair.

It's a little something to think about for when your life settles down and you wish to rejoin the campaign. Take your time though. I'm really busy too and haven't had much time for D&D either.