PDA

View Full Version : Chain spell Metamagic rod and material components

Hiro Quester
2014-08-02, 12:36 AM
If I have a Metamagic rod of chain spell (lesser) and use it to cast a spell with a semi-expensive material component, how many components do I need?

Nothing in the feat description nor in the description of metamagic rods seems to give guidance.

For instance, I plan on casting a chained nerveskitter to give our whole party +5 initiative. Do I need the material component (a gold die worth 20 gp) for each recipient, or just once?

iTreeby
2014-08-02, 12:45 AM
pretty sure you pay just the once.

Macros
2014-08-02, 01:03 AM
... there's a spell component for nerveskitter? :smallconfused:

But anyway, you only need material components once.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-02, 01:14 AM
You're only casting it once, even though it targets multiple creatures, so you only need one component unless the spell specifically says you need that component per target.

For example, Animate Dead requires components per creature animated, but Hold Monster requires only a single metal bar or rod even if you chain spell it to multiple targets.

Nerveskitter does not have any material component according to the official version in Spell Compendium. It's based on a spell called Kaupaer’s Skittish Nerves from Magic of Faerun, which also did not have any material component. You don't need any material component at all to cast it, regardless of whether or not it's chained.

squiggit
2014-08-02, 01:17 AM
Yeah, the gold die worth 20 gp is Insight of Good Fortune.

Hiro Quester
2014-08-02, 10:35 AM
Thanks all.

Yes the die was for insight of good fortune, which I also want to be able to chain.