PDA

View Full Version : Transmuting weapon property and regeneration

molten_dragon
2014-08-02, 07:29 AM
This is a question that I expect to come up in our game soon, so I thought I'd ask it ahead of time.

Does the transmuting weapon property (MiC pg 45) allow you to bypass a creature's regeneration?

We're going to be fighting a Solar soon, which has both DR and regeneration which are bypassed by epic, evil-aligned weapons. One of the guys in our party has a weapon with the transmuting property.

The key parts of the transmuting weapon property entry are:

"At the start of your next turn, however, the weapon transforms, taking on the properties required to overcome that creature's damage reduction."...

..."A transmuting weapon does not gain any other benefit of the properties it takes on, and it always deals normal damage."

The "does not gain any other benefit of the properties it takes on" leads me to believe that it doesn't bypass regeneration. But is that what the "always deals normal damage" part is referring to? Or something else.

How would you rule?

Chronos
2014-08-02, 07:50 AM
You could interpret "always deals normal damage" as a yes or a no. On the one hand, you could say it always deals normal, never subdual, and thus it bypasses regeneration... But on the other hand, you could say that it deals normal damage, not (in this case) epic and evil damage, and so it doesn't. Given the "no other benefits" clause immediately preceding, I'm inclined towards the latter.

Your party had better invest in a +4 angelbane weapon and cast Curse Weapon on it. Even if they're not planning on using it during the fight, it'd let them Coup de Grace the solar after they knock it out.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-08-02, 08:57 AM
It lets you overcome DR, and nothing else. At least that's my interpretation.

Also, unless you fight angels all the time it's probably more efficient to just buy some Trollbane (DS), if you aren't already carrying some as part of your standard adventuring kit.

molten_dragon
2014-08-03, 04:49 AM
Usually when we run into something with regen we can't beat, we just beat it unconscious and drown it.