PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Help with Summon Ideas.

Dunsparce
2014-08-02, 10:16 AM
My DM likes giving our Characters custom abilities. Last session my level 13 Paladin wished to have better spellcasting, so he was given the law domain of a cleric of his paladin level (so right now he has the level 1-7 spells). Law Domain was chosen by the DM because I not only worship St. Cuthbert but I have Law Devotion as a feat. There were some changes, namely Protection from Chaos was replaced by a homebrew lawful version of Bless Weapon and Dispel Chaos was replaced by Lawful Sword. At level 17 I'll get access to Summon Monster IX, and I want some ideas on what to summon with it, since I'm stuck with Lawful, non-Evil creatures only.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-02, 10:24 AM
Summon Monster IX gets creatures in the CR 10-13 range, so maybe make it a custom version that only summons a Justicator from MM3. That's a bit more powerful than the evil outsiders it could summon, but it's the same CR as the fiendish colossal spider, and limiting it to always summon the same creature removes a lot of its versatility. Barring that, multiple Celestial Dire Bears wouldn't be a bad idea.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-08-02, 10:24 AM
The Summoner's Desk Reference (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?255219-The-Summoner-s-Desk-Reference-D-amp-D-3-5) has a list of all summons with alignments listed, along with recommendations on what to summon.

Dunsparce
2014-08-02, 10:39 AM
Okay, according to that list, these are my options:

Summon Monster VII (1d4+1 Creatures)
-Celestial Elephant
-Archon, Justice
-Formian, Armadon

Summon Monster VIII (1d3 Creatures)
-Celestial Dire Bear

Summon Monster IX (1 Creature)
-Couatl
-Archon, Owl
-Archon, Sword
-Formian, Observer
-Unraveler

Too bad Hammer Archon has a racial limitation.

Are any of the SMVI or earlier options worth it or should I just stick to SM VII-IX options to get the most out of the spell?