PDA

View Full Version : Original System Rounds/Turns/Actions Idea - Looking for opinions

RedWarlock
2014-08-02, 02:55 PM
So this is an idea on how to handle combat rounds in my WarCraft-setting d20-oid 3e/4e hybridized system.

The basics goeth thusly:

Each round, you roll initiative. What follows is three phases that operate on this initiative order. (in my games, the players would hand in cards with the number written in. I would probably also have three check-boxes that I would use to mark off the actions used so far that round.)

For each phase, you take either your Standard, Move, or Verbal action. You cannot delay or hold an action for later in the phase, but see the paragraph below about Readying. Some abilities use multiple actions, like a spell with verbal and gesture (standard action) components, these abilities split actions across phases, with the ability activating once the actions have all been spent. (Think of it as like having the verbal to 'activate' a spell, and then standard action to 'fire' it, with the ability to hold a charge as desired. You could even split an ability activation across turns) Once you've used your S, M, or V actions, you can't use anything that costs that action until the next round.

Now, in addition to the S/M/V, which are equally weighted, you also have a Boost action. (the verbal and boost are a split of 3e's swift, 4e's minor, and 5e's bonus action.) The Boost action can be spent on any of the three, for actions that are beyond basic functionality, such as boosting a basic attack into a charge (like a 4e charge or 3e surprise-round charge), getting an off-hand basic attack, turning a normal move into a sprint for double speed, or applying a metamagic effect to a spell (like 3e psionics).

Now, we get to Readying. You can choose to not spend actions, granting you a boon (basically my terminology for a stackable extra-d20-take-best-result, ala 5e advantage) to the next round's initiative roll. This can be stacked up to three times (like any boon or burden, capping at three bonus dice) for a best-possible roll of 4d20-best1.

Because delaying doesn't exist, spending actions off-turn is a lot more sparse, to practically non-existent. (One of my other ideas is that, rather than getting a free Opportunity Attack on someone, when they cross your threatened area, just remember that they did, so then when your next phase comes around, you can make an attack on them, at normal action cost, even if they've finished their move outside of your range. Basically, the actions are near-simultaneous. Multi-action spells can likewise be disrupted by preventing them from using their next phase's action to finish the spell.)

So, now, some examples of Verbal actions:
Verbal components of spells, obviously
Command shout effects, warnings, and the like (think stuff like Marshal auras and such)
Purely mental effects (because it is *damn* hard to speak one phrase and think an entirely different one. Better to relegate that to a higher-level ability.)
Bite or horn attacks, some other head-based effects like gaze attacks, as long as it doesn't involve the whole body to use. A rhino or T. Rex with major attacks has to use most of their body to make the attack, so that probably still counts as a standard.)

Does this make sense? Anybody see any glaring issues? It looks complex to start, but as far as I can see, in-play it winds up simpler (quicker phases helps keep players engaged), but also more strategic.

Glimbur
2014-08-02, 03:29 PM
What if I want to move up to someone and then hit them? In the old system this was fine, but in the new one apparently they could move away because it takes two separate actions to do what I wanted to; and I have to remember that they moved away so I can hit them a bit later in the round. I could use my Boost to charge, but that's not exactly equivalent to the old system.

Also, now you have to keep track of 'which actions have I used in this round?'

And expect a fair amount of not spending Verbal actions to get a boon. If your enemy is next to you, maybe you get two boons next round. Not sure that's what you are going for.

All in all, it seems to add complexity without adding fun. But I might be misunderstanding it.

RedWarlock
2014-08-02, 03:59 PM
What if I want to move up to someone and then hit them? In the old system this was fine, but in the new one apparently they could move away because it takes two separate actions to do what I wanted to; and I have to remember that they moved away so I can hit them a bit later in the round. I could use my Boost to charge, but that's not exactly equivalent to the old system.
Hm. Good point. I had been considering the benefit of an engage/breakway action. Needs a little consideration.

Edit: Though I will add, there are a couple factors I've got in my rule set that affect things differently. One is that martials get extra non-action-eating OAs, from spending a per-round resource. Second, due to this, melee control, trips and snare effects and stances that hinder foes in reach, all exist. Another is, because this is WoW-based, taunts will also exist as a mechanic for drawing (and keeping) attention.

Also, now you have to keep track of 'which actions have I used in this round?'

And expect a fair amount of not spending Verbal actions to get a boon. If your enemy is next to you, maybe you get two boons next round. Not sure that's what you are going for.

All in all, it seems to add complexity without adding fun. But I might be misunderstanding it.
In my game (which this is admittedly tuned to) I think increasing the engagement of the players will increase the fun they have. That's been a complaint around the table when we do both 3e and 4e, too much action shuffle, but the inverse, reducing everything to a single action per turn, doesn't work great either.

Edit: I mention this above, but the shouts and taunts will likely prove better boons to players, especially given that those can affect the ATTACK roll, not just one's init.