PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Persistomancer?

heavyfuel
2014-08-02, 03:31 PM
Is there a way to become a Psionic Persistomancer by reducing the cost of Persistent Power (http://dndtools.eu/feats/psionics-handbook-30--46/persistent-power--2138/)?

No specific class required, but preferably a StP Erudite. I don't think StP Erudite can qualify for classes like Spelldancer, but I could be wrong.

Cheese is ok, but try to keep it to a healthy non-constipating dosage.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-08-02, 04:50 PM
Because of the way psionics work you can either reduce the cost of the power or increase your ML. This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?127103-Raising-ML) should provide a good start.

Werephilosopher
2014-08-02, 05:34 PM
If you can craft psionic items, you can try making a power link shard that doesn't require you be kalashtar (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=10296.0).

Rubik
2014-08-02, 07:22 PM
An erudite with the mantled erudite ACF can take any PrC that requires the ability to cast spells, but not arcane or divine spellcasting without some finagling, such as using Southern Magician and levels in geomancer. So use those, then start going into any arcane or divine PrC you want and otherwise qualify for.

Doc_Maynot
2014-08-02, 10:41 PM
Is Dragon Magazine allowed in this discussion?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-02, 11:10 PM
Note that an Erudite's 'unique powers per day' do not get advanced by any prestige class that adds '+1 level of existing class' because they all specifically only advance manifester level, power points, and new powers discovered, but not "any other benefit a character of that class would have gained" which includes those unique powers per day. An Erudie 5/ PrCs 15 who is effectively an Erudie 20 for powers known, highest level powers, and power points can only manifest three unique powers every day.

In any case, be sure to get Midnight Augmentation + Bestow Power to refill your power points after you persist all your buffs.

What level do you want this to be able to start persisting powers?

Psyren
2014-08-02, 11:20 PM
If you can craft psionic items, you can try making a power link shard that doesn't require you be kalashtar (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=10296.0).

FYI - in Eberron, Elans contain quori spirits too and thus they can use these shards as well. There is also the Quori Mindhunter PrC that lets anyone contain a Quori sprit.

heavyfuel
2014-08-03, 10:07 AM

Can you elaborate on this? I'm rather new to Psionics and didn't really understand what you meant. Sorry..

An erudite with the mantled erudite ACF can take any PrC that requires the ability to cast spells, but not arcane or divine spellcasting without some finagling, such as using Southern Magician and levels in geomancer. So use those, then start going into any arcane or divine PrC you want and otherwise qualify for.

That's a good idea. If I can't make this work with StP Erudite I'll do it with Mantled

Is Dragon Magazine allowed in this discussion?

Lets say yes. Just for the sake of argument, because I'll probably won't use it.

Note that an Erudite's 'unique powers per day' do not get advanced by any prestige class that adds '+1 level of existing class' because they all specifically only advance manifester level, power points, and new powers discovered, but not "any other benefit a character of that class would have gained" which includes those unique powers per day. An Erudie 5/ PrCs 15 who is effectively an Erudie 20 for powers known, highest level powers, and power points can only manifest three unique powers every day.

In any case, be sure to get Midnight Augmentation + Bestow Power to refill your power points after you persist all your buffs.

I'll try to keep that in mind, though I'll probably only dip Mindbender as far as PrCs goes.

I haven't though about refilling PP as a way to persist everything. This does solve a lot of problems. Thanks!

No level specifically. Just being able to do it is fine.

Vaz
2014-08-03, 10:30 AM

You have manifesting, not arcane manifesting or divine manifesting. Unless they advance any PrC's spellcasting, it is unlikely to work.

Ardent 10 with Subsitute Powers ACF and Time Mantle Dominant Mantle (Synchronicity on the Time Mantle) can pick up Bestow Power, Linked Power and Meta-Linked Synchronicity. These combined trade your standard action for effectively 1pp return. It isn't persisting, but it is a PP regen tactic. It is fairly resource intensive, not accessible until l10, so DM's should have less issue with it, and the limited powers known means that it isn't as broken as it could be.

Taveena
2014-08-03, 01:00 PM
Midnight Augmentation (Incarnum), Earth Power, Metapower, and Psychic Rush (Action Points) all reduce the power point cost of a power to augment. The first can be very good with a Soulmanifester build, the middle two are usable by anyone, and the latter relies on a system most games don't use.

Gemini476
2014-08-03, 04:10 PM

A quick correction - it's "unique powers per level per day". So you're limited to 3 9th, 3 8th etc. rather than just 3 total.

Also, rather than Persistent Power you could also take a look at the CPsi Nomad 5 power Temporal Reiteration. For the cost of a swift action and 9 power points, you add +1 round duration to pretty much all effects that are active on you.

The classic wombo combo is Nomad 5/Metamind 10, since getting what is pretty much Persistent Font of Power is awesome. Erudite 10/Metamind 10 could do the same thing, but you need to be careful with not ever getting more levels in other psionic classes than you have in Erudite unless you want to lose your ability to learn everything ever. You also won't get 9th level powers unless you go Ardent instead, since you lose five ML through Metamind.

Or you could just heap on ML increasers and PP reducers and laugh and laugh and laugh as you persist everything four levels below your max. It's not like restoring PP is hard, of course.

Werephilosopher
2014-08-03, 06:13 PM
Can you elaborate on this? I'm rather new to Psionics and didn't really understand what you meant. Sorry..

No prob. The cardinal rule of psionics is that the number of power points you spend on any one power - whether those points go towards the standard cost of the power, augmenting the power, or paying for metapsionic feats - cannot exceed your manifester level. So a level 10 psion can never spend more than 10 PP on any one power at once. There are ways to increase your manifester level - things that raise caster level could work, and the Overchannel feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#overchannel) works - but the only way to actually EXCEED your manifester level in power points spent on a power is with power link shards. As a free action, you can add two (per shard, if you wish) PP to a power, three times/day, even if doing so causes the number of PP spent to exceed your ML. The problem is, you need to be bonded to a quori to use them, and so must be kalashtar, Inspired, or as Psyren pointed out (thanks Psyren) an elan or quori mindhunter. The page I linked to extrapolates the cost of a power link shard without racial prereqs.

Rubik
2014-08-03, 06:39 PM
Note that an Erudite's 'unique powers per day' do not get advanced by any prestige class that adds '+1 level of existing class' because they all specifically only advance manifester level, power points, and new powers discovered, but not "any other benefit a character of that class would have gained" which includes those unique powers per day. An Erudie 5/ PrCs 15 who is effectively an Erudie 20 for powers known, highest level powers, and power points can only manifest three unique powers every day.There are exceptions. The legacy champion and uncanny trickster PrCs advance any class feature you have (including unique powers per day), and bloodline levels will advance them as well.

Doc_Maynot
2014-08-03, 06:52 PM
Wizard/Erudite/Mindmage
At second level of Mindmage they get an ability called Compensation that lets them use PP to fuel Metamagic or spell slots to fuel Metapsionics. Mitigating the point cost by 2 for every spell level spent.

The PrC gives you a nice array of options that really blur the lines between psionics and vancian casting.

Werephilosopher
2014-08-03, 08:08 PM
Wizard/Erudite/Mindmage
At second level of Mindmage they get an ability called Compensation that lets them use PP to fuel Metamagic or spell slots to fuel Metapsionics. Mitigating the point cost by 2 for every spell level spent.

The PrC gives you a nice array of options that really blur the lines between psionics and vancian casting.

I've always wanted to play a Mind Mage; problem is, there's never a campaign available when it's on my mind... :smallfrown: Plus, I think it has quite a hefty feat tax, to both get in and make the meta- compensation worth it.

Doc_Maynot
2014-08-03, 08:30 PM
I've always wanted to play a Mind Mage; problem is, there's never a campaign available when it's on my mind... :smallfrown: Plus, I think it has quite a hefty feat tax, to both get in and make the meta- compensation worth it.

I like to enter in with Harden Energy + Bull Blast, but that's just me. I like to use it when I can play a Spell Point Sorc (With or Without vitalizing)/Egoist, and even then it's mostly for the Focus of Discipline and to inflate ML/CL.

heavyfuel
2014-08-27, 09:20 AM

I've reached the conclusion that I won't be able to build the persistomancer I want with StP Erudite, so how would it work for qualifying for Spelldancer with a Mantled Erudite (you can disregard the skills requirement)?

Rubik
2014-08-27, 10:53 AM
I've reached the conclusion that I won't be able to build the persistomancer I want with StP Erudite, so how would it work for qualifying for Spelldancer with a Mantled Erudite (you can disregard the skills requirement)?There's no problem with that, since neither the PrC nor Combat Casting require arcane or divine. A Magic Mantled erudite/wilder/ardent/psywar with 3rd level powers qualifies, so long as the feats and skills are also available.

Do note, however, that spelldancing's DC depends on the spell level (modified by the feats you want to apply), but except for Heighten and a few others, metamagic and metapsionic feats don't alter a spell's level.