PDA

View Full Version : Statting the Elder Evils (need advice)

2014-08-02, 05:34 PM
Many of you know the strange Aboleth quasi-deities, also known as the Elder Evils. These five entities were mentioned in Lords of Madness and, so say the amazon reviews, a FR book, and do not appear in the last 3.5 book, known as The Elder Evils. This was a letdown for a lot of people, because just about everyone wanted them statted. That letdown ends now! We shall stat the Elder Evils, but first we need to cover a few basics.

1) What special abilities should Y'chak and Bolothamogg have?

2) Just HOW much damage should the Elder Evils do with their basic attacks?

3) Should they even BE killable? Not to the extent that Amkii is immortal, but should they be able to be killed by shooting fire or whacking it with a metal stick enough times?

4) Should the Elder Evils have creatures following, helping, or, in some cases, guarding them?

Thank you for replying and I hope we get to finally remove the curse of the unstatted quasi-deities from the world.

AuraTwilight
2014-08-02, 06:12 PM
Well, if they're Elder Evils in the sense that the others are, can't you answer atleast 2, 3, and 4 by comparing and contrasting?

2014-08-02, 06:23 PM
Well, if they're Elder Evils in the sense that the others are, can't you answer atleast 2, 3, and 4 by comparing and contrasting?

*sigh* They have nothing to do with that book. that's what people mad about. The title was misleading.

Zaydos
2014-08-02, 06:39 PM
Just going off of Lords of Madness

1) idk

2) Dependent upon the party you're making them for. Otherwise dependent upon what level you want to use them at.

3) They're fluffed as likely to outlive the gods, so I'd say they should be really tough to kill and not just through simple combat.

4) I'd say they'd end up with some even if they didn't care and Y'chak would cultivate some.

Tvtyrant
2014-08-02, 06:45 PM
They sound like awesome binds to me.

I would not stat anything you don't want killed and/or abused.

2014-08-02, 07:08 PM
They sound like awesome binds to me.

I would not stat anything you don't want killed and/or abused.

Well, the problem is, they're here to be killed and/or abused. Let's face it, the Elder Evils just scream "plot hook." On the bright side, though, I got some conceptual ideas for them.

Holashner-The perfect "worm" monster, he has amazing hit points and swallow whole damage. He's so big, he eats purple worms like purple worms eat humans, and his mouth can't bite a medium creature.

Piscaethces- The living aboleth generator, all of her attacks create them in some way. Constantly surrounded by a swarm of aboleths.

Network
2014-08-02, 07:40 PM
The problem is that there appear to be two kinds of elder evils : the first are really ancient beings that originate from a long forgotten distant past (Atropus, Pandorym, the five ones from LoM and possibly Leviathan), the second are just big monster bent on killing the gods (pretty much all the others).

Personally, I don't think the five elder evils from LoM should be killable. Seriously, look at what they can do according to aboleth folklore:
*Bolothamogg: keeps people (and even gods) from leaving the Multiverse. Said to be the darkness between the stars.
*Holashner: One of the few elder evils to exist fully in the physical world, and it actively eats everything it can. Except it is so slow that his bowels turn to stone faster than its progress through the deeps (whatever that means, but I'm assuming it is very slow).
*Piscaethces: Creates aboleths continuously, said to be travelling the probabilities between infinite realities. The aboleths do not expect her to return.
*Shothotugg: No comment on this one.
*Y’chak: Anyone that sees its inner form invites destruction on its body and soul.

Personally, I think that if you are to stat these fives, you'd better make the statted creature only an aspect of a much more powerful creature. Much like how you can kill the hulks of Zoretha, Sertrous or the Worm that Walks, but not Atropus, Leviathan, or Pandorym (Atropus is a particularly funny case : it's head alone is the size of a moon. Oh, and it created the gods).

2014-08-02, 08:08 PM
The problem is that there appear to be two kinds of elder evils : the first are really ancient beings that originate from a long forgotten distant past (Atropus, Pandorym, the five ones from LoM and possibly Leviathan), the second are just big monster bent on killing the gods (pretty much all the others).

Personally, I don't think the five elder evils from LoM should be killable. Seriously, look at what they can do according to aboleth folklore:
*Bolothamogg: keeps people (and even gods) from leaving the Multiverse. Said to be the darkness between the stars.
*Holashner: One of the few elder evils to exist fully in the physical world, and it actively eats everything it can. Except it is so slow that his bowels turn to stone faster than its progress through the deeps (whatever that means, but I'm assuming it is very slow).
*Piscaethces: Creates aboleths continuously, said to be travelling the probabilities between infinite realities. The aboleths do not expect her to return.
*Shothotugg: No comment on this one.
*Y’chak: Anyone that sees its inner form invites destruction on its body and soul.

Personally, I think that if you are to stat these fives, you'd better make the statted creature only an aspect of a much more powerful creature. Much like how you can kill the hulks of Zoretha, Sertrous or the Worm that Walks, but not Atropus, Leviathan, or Pandorym (Atropus is a particularly funny case : it's head alone is the size of a moon. Oh, and it created the gods).

I dunno, I would rather put some sort of advanced, cryptic soul-locked template on these guys that make them unkillable by everything except one way, and give them such amazing stats that they will kill epic-level characters before they even come into melee range.

AuraTwilight
2014-08-02, 08:32 PM
...Then what's really the point of statting them out? You might as well just give them qualities and abilities like "Immortality (Ex): The subject cannot die or be harmed in any way except for this singular method" or "Aura of 2Cool4U (Ex): Any creature with less than 90 HD automatically dies when they get within one mile of the aura's owner. No save."

2014-08-02, 08:42 PM
...Then what's really the point of statting them out? You might as well just give them qualities and abilities like "Immortality (Ex): The subject cannot die or be harmed in any way except for this singular method" or "Aura of 2Cool4U (Ex): Any creature with less than 90 HD automatically dies when they get within one mile of the aura's owner. No save."

First off, the Immortality ability you just said is almost exactly what I was going to do, and the aura isn't a good choice, because there are uses for them other than instakill buttons.