PDA

View Full Version : Best Class for "Standard Array" Stats

inertia709
2014-08-02, 06:28 PM
Let's say you're given the standard array for stats, i.e. 10 10 10 11 11 11 in any order. Which class would suffer the least from their terrible stats? This is meant to be relative to their normally-stated counterparts (say with 25 point-buy), who follow a similar build and have a similar level of optimization, but may take advantage of their better stats when making choices. Obviously this may vary by level, so feel free to include that in your analysis.

Sian
2014-08-02, 06:31 PM
Warlock (and hence likely also Dragonfire Adept) is fairly imfamous for being very solid, no matter how sucky their stats is.

Druid (and prehaps even Wildshape Ranger) might likely be up their as well due to their ability to buff their physical stats far with Wildshaping into something scary

Hamste
2014-08-02, 06:32 PM
Let's say you're given the standard array for stats, i.e. 10 10 10 11 11 11 in any order. Which class would suffer the least from their terrible stats? This is meant to be relative to their normally-stated counterparts (say with 25 point-buy), who follow a similar build and have a similar level of optimization, but may take advantage of their better stats when making choices. Obviously this may vary by level, so feel free to include that in your analysis.

A Lesser Aasimar Druid, with items you can get the casting stats you need at each level and you can make up for your physical stats with wildshape seems pretty good.

sideswipe
2014-08-02, 06:32 PM
warlock has no ability dependencies. it can have 3 in all stats (though a 10 in dex is highly advised) and still be a very playable character. most of its powers need no skills. most of the invocations do not require saves, so a high charisma really doesn't help. and as long as you can hit touch AC your eldrich blasts are fine.

swordsaged

eggynack
2014-08-02, 06:33 PM
Druid, man. The answer is always druid. If you keep up with your periapts, you get full magic access at every level except for three, wild shape allows your physical stats to be awesome despite the fact that they suck, and the animal companion's stats are completely unrelated to what you're pulling in on that count. Also, you can run something like anthropomorphic bat, likely dragonborn, and end up with 17 wisdom and 13 constitution, which is pretty awesome stat-wise.

Firechanter
2014-08-02, 06:43 PM
If PF classes are fair game, then add Summoner to the list. Your Eidolon is not contingent on your stats, at all.

inertia709
2014-08-02, 06:45 PM
Druid, man. The answer is always druid. If you keep up with your periapts, you get full magic access at every level except for three, wild shape allows your physical stats to be awesome despite the fact that they suck, and the animal companion's stats are completely unrelated to what you're pulling in on that count. Also, you can run something like anthropomorphic bat, likely dragonborn, and end up with 17 wisdom and 13 constitution, which is pretty awesome stat-wise.

That was going to be my vote, but I wanted to leave it up to the peanut gallery. :smallbiggrin:

Gemini476
2014-08-02, 07:28 PM
Oh yeah, add the Wild Monk and Wildshaping Ranger to the list. They like Wis, sure, but since they replace their physical stats they don't need to care about those. They won't have easy access to combat feats, though.

Basically, any class with innate polymorphic abilities not locked behind an ability score prerequisite works fine with the standard array.

Also, if you choose the right races you can still get decent-ish stats to shore up with some of the SAD classes. Dragonborn Mongrelfolk Dragonfire Adepts, for instance.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2014-08-02, 07:33 PM
Any caster with the VDK cheddar ought to work fine.

eggynack
2014-08-02, 07:38 PM
Any caster with the VDK cheddar ought to work fine.
Or even no cheddar of any kind. That thing about a caster with an 11 having the ability to cast their spells at all levels but three applies to everyone, rather than just druids, and while I don't think wizards have an anthropomorphic bat, gray elf is plenty to get you to perfect casting. Really, the best classes for the standard array are just the best classes in general.

Marlowe
2014-08-02, 07:55 PM
Warlock, DFA, and any of the Polymorphers, as mentioned, will be fine.

Somebody suggested that a Warblade heavy in certain Diamond Mind maneuvers might be able to manage, although its not something I'd try myself.

Malroth
2014-08-03, 01:38 AM
I Iron Heart Surge my stat array!

Silva Stormrage
2014-08-03, 02:01 AM
Artificer might be pretty good too, WBL abuse still works