PDA

View Full Version : Magnetism Spells

j_spencer93
2014-08-02, 11:02 PM
Am working on making a character based on magneto (sorcerer) but a few spells of magnetism belong to the Wu Jen alone. IS there a way for the Sorcerer to learn them fairly? a feat or anything?

Forrestfire
2014-08-02, 11:13 PM
Ask the DM. The sorcerer specifically has a passage about learning off-list spells:

These new spells can be common spells chosen from the sorcerer/wizard spell list, or they can be unusual spells that the sorcerer has gained some understanding of by study.

Alternatively, the Extra Spell feat allows you to get them later on.

malonkey1
2014-08-02, 11:15 PM
Ask the DM. The sorcerer specifically has a passage about learning off-list spells:

These new spells can be common spells chosen from the sorcerer/wizard spell list, or they can be unusual spells that the sorcerer has gained some understanding of by study.

Alternatively, the Extra Spell feat allows you to get them later on.

Man, you have no idea how many arguments that excerpt has started.

SowZ
2014-08-02, 11:17 PM
Screw it. Your concept is Magneto? Just talk to your DM. I'd wager more than half would allow it.

j_spencer93
2014-08-02, 11:26 PM
I actually see both sides of the argument about that passage. It is strangely worded, well not strange but not clear enough. And i am the DM.

Psyren
2014-08-02, 11:28 PM
Man, you have no idea how many arguments that excerpt has started.

While true, most of those arguments concern sorcerers that want to learn divine spells or homebrew new ones from whole cloth. I would say Wu Jen spells, by virtue of being arcane and able to be studied, would be much fairer game.

SowZ
2014-08-02, 11:40 PM
I actually see both sides of the argument about that passage. It is strangely worded, well not strange but not clear enough. And i am the DM.

If Wu Jen spells don't apply, what would? Otherwise, as a fellow DM, I say this. Whenever there is an iffy rules question, rule on the side of what's most fun. After all, that's the whole point.

j_spencer93
2014-08-02, 11:55 PM
Ok, i was curious about that clause allowing it but was not 100% what others would think. Anything i allow for an NPC goes for my players, and crafting new spells will add some more fun to play a sorcerer.