PDA

View Full Version : [Week 5] Which is the Playground's favorite monster?! - Mom! I want some JELL-O!

Yael
2014-08-03, 12:06 AM
Here is the point: We all put here our favorite creature/monster, and then at the end of each day "this" post will be updated with a table containing which creature has been selected and how many people do love it. At the end of the week we will see which monster is your favorite of the selected type or subtype. Every type and subtype will be randomly selected (by me, or at the forum dice, taking suggestions from you, fellow playgrounders,) or it could be in order, we'll see if this gets crowded enough. Remember that this isn't a competition, it is just a little game, so don't try to convince others to change their choices as they have their favorite monsters as you have yours. I'm not planning to show every nickname, so I want to order it from books/sources where they are found, also I will make a top 5 if we reach enough votes.

This week type/subtype is:

Ooze Type!
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140209033425/rollplaydnd/images/8/80/Gelatinous_cube.jpg

My vote: Gelatinous Cubes, just please. Also, the Summoning Ooze is just an HYPERMEGA PLEASE!

Creature
Source

Votes

Flesh Jelly
Monster Manual II, p104

Genius Loci
Epic Level Handbook, p190

Living Spell
Monster Manual III, p091

Ooze, Acuatic (Bloodbloater)
Fiend Folio, p016

Ooze, Arcane
Monster Manual III, p009

Ooze, Black Pudding
Monster Manual I, p201

Ooze, Brine
Sandstorm, p177

Ooze, Gelatinous Cube
Monster Manual I, p201

Ooze, Gray
Monster Manual III, p009

Ooze, Obsidian
Wizard's Article (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20031123a)

Ooze, Summoning
Monster Manual III, p169

Ooze, White Pudding
Frostburn, p147

Reason Stealer
Monster Manual II, p178

Teratomorph
Monster Manual II, p194

The date to finish the count will be Sathurday, August 9nd; from that point on, no vote will be added to the popularity table, but feel free to keep commenting your favorites.

The sources you can use to pick your favorite are on the list below, also if you have more than one favorite, don't hesitate to show it to us! No creature whose entry wasn't originally of the selected type is allowed (for example: if the week's monster type is: Dragon, no Dragonwrought Kobold is available, just creatures with the Dragon type as their base creature are allowed, in this case; DW Kobold got it fom a feat.) At the same time, no creatures that obtained their subtype are allowed to be chosen (for example, Dragonblood subtype week, no dragonborn human is allowed, because human wasn't originally intended to have dragonblood subtype, but its subtype is "dragonblood" because of the Dragonborn template; however Silverbrow human is allowed because its original subtype IS dragonblood.) Also, when a creature is based on a template (such as the Lich, the Vampire, or the Zombie) the template is allowed to be selected as your vote; however, you cannot specify a creature with its own entry adding an alien template. TL;DR: You can select the Skeleton Creature as your favorite Undead, but not a T-Rex Skeleton (using two creatures.)

• Any 3.0 Edition sourcebook.
• Any 3.5 Edition corebook & sourcebook.
• Any Dragon Magazine (add issue number.)
• DragonLance Campaign.
• Eberron Campaign.
• Forgotten Realms Campaign.
• Kingdoms of Kalmar Campaign.
• Legend of the Five Rings Campaign.
• No Pathfinder.
• No homebrewed material.
• Official online material allowed (include your link.)
• World of Warcraft RPG Edition.
[Week 1] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?359801-Week-1-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster&p=17712990#post17712990) Aberration Type.
[Week 2] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?361173-Week-2-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster-Dungeons-and-_______&p=17748761#post17748761) Dragon Type.
[Week 3] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?362428-Week-3-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster-Obey-the-Law(ful)!&p=17787914#post17787914) Lawful Subtype.
[Week 4] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?363934-Week-4-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster-Vote-from-the-grave&p=17834771#post17834771) Undead Type.
[Week 5] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?364977-Week-5-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster-!-Mom!-I-want-some-Jell-o!&p=17874220#post17874220) Ooze Type.

Vhaidara
2014-08-03, 12:42 AM
Well, you've already named the two best. I'll probably do some sourcebook crawling tomorrow. I'm sure there's at least one more good one. However, nothing will beat the majesty of a gelly cube moving at 45 (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060922a). Also, you gelly?

Sir Chuckles
2014-08-03, 01:06 AM
Genius Loci.
Taking "Ooze World" to a whole new level.

Krakard Vakurt
2014-08-03, 01:08 AM
Black Pudding, primarily due to the food-like name.

"Hey, watch out for Black Puddings down there!"

"Black Puddings? Ooo, I didn't know there'd be food lying about!"

"That's...that's not what they...Serenrae damn it, why'd they name a deadly creature after a dessert-esque food?"

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-03, 01:49 AM
I'll agree that a Gelatinous Cube is a great choice, due to its usefulness at all party levels. You can put it at the bottom of a pit trap so it automatically engulfs anyone who falls in, so it can even be a challenge for higher level parties. However, this is not my personal favorite.

Arcane Ooze (MM3) deserves mention, it's a superb monster and a very unique type of challenge.

My favorite has to be the Living Spell template (MM3), which creates a living ooze version of one or more spells. Between endless possibilities for spell combinations, the widest possible CR range, and the possibility of having an entourage of living beneficial spells via the Slime domain, it just brings more to the table than any other creature of the ooze type.

Yael
2014-08-03, 01:57 AM
My favorite has to be the Living Spell template (MM3), which creates a living ooze version of one or more spells. Between endless possibilities for spell combinations, the widest possible CR range, and the possibility of having an entourage of living beneficial spells via the Slime domain, it just brings more to the table than any other creature of the ooze type.

So that's where the template was from! Thanks!

2014-08-03, 02:11 AM
A tie between Gelatinous Cube and Flesh Jelly. Gelatinous Cube for all the reasons above, and Flesh Jelly for the "eww" factor.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-03, 02:33 AM
Obsidian Ooze (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20031123a) is also amazing, especially if you advance it and/or throw multiples of them as trash mobs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?322346-Volcanic-mountain-cavern-style-dungeon-as-red-dragon-lair#2).

Inevitability
2014-08-03, 04:08 AM
Gelatinous Cube. The things you can do with it...

Eldan
2014-08-03, 04:28 AM
'nother vote for Living Spell.

Socksy
2014-08-03, 04:32 AM
Gelatinous Cube!
Arcane Ooze as my next favourite. :D

Pan151
2014-08-03, 07:59 AM
Does Living Spell count? (it's technically a template)

If so, something like a Living Meteor Swarm is about as badass as an ooze can be.

And no ooze is scarier than a Living Soul Bind...

Shieldbunny
2014-08-03, 10:00 AM
Gelatinous Cube for me as well, unless Living Spell is available.

Forrestfire
2014-08-03, 10:40 AM
Living Spells are one of my favorite D&D monsters, so I'm gonna go with that. If that's not allowed, then the iconic Cube.

Irk
2014-08-03, 10:54 AM
Another vote for Living Spell.

PraxisVetli
2014-08-03, 11:03 AM
Gotta give this one to the Cube.
My very first character was a Draegloth Duskblade who fears nothing.
But is rather cautious near oozes.

arclance
2014-08-03, 11:07 AM
Living Spell then Gelatinous Cube.
You can even get a Gelatinous Cube mount (Arms and Equipment pg.85).

HunterOfJello
2014-08-03, 11:15 AM
What did you say about Jello?

*Hunter of Jello slowly pulls out his +1 Ooze Bane Dwarvencraft Greatsword*

Tvtyrant
2014-08-03, 11:27 AM
I am going to go with Living Spell. Especially if said spell is Reverse Gravity, as it basically lets you fluff the ooze as punching the enemy into the sky.

The Viscount
2014-08-03, 01:02 PM
My favorite is the Bloodbloater, for having one of my favorite pieces of art in the game.http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GxlcLaehAN8/UW6e3T7TY3I/AAAAAAAAEIk/lIxCYZkRjZQ/s400/50178.jpgA close second is the reason stealer. It's one of the few oozes that can be smart, and it does so by ruinously draining your mental stats.

Leviting
2014-08-03, 03:48 PM
Living Spell, though I also like how the Grey Ooze turns metal to biomass. Still, it isn't as cool as living prismatic spray

Cowardly Griffo
2014-08-03, 04:04 PM
Dropping in a vote for Living Spell so hard.

I would totally have a Living Color Spray as a pet IRL. Or a living Prestidigitation, then it could be adorable and clean the floor. :D

2014-08-03, 06:30 PM
No more love for the Flesh Jelly? *sniff sniff* :frown::confused:

Deicidal1
2014-08-03, 09:03 PM
The Teratomorph, because I have a weakness for anything involving randomness, particularly spells. Also the ooze's very existence unravels reality and tears holes in the fabric between the planes, which is just straight-up awesome.

Svata
2014-08-03, 10:15 PM
Gel Cube and living spell for me as well.

Yael
2014-08-05, 07:03 PM
Yeah, obligatory image rain.

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac192/Uchiha_Ace/haha.png~original

No more love for oozy jell-os?

ArqArturo
2014-08-05, 07:12 PM
Well, you've already named the two best. I'll probably do some sourcebook crawling tomorrow. I'm sure there's at least one more good one. However, nothing will beat the majesty of a gelly cube moving at 45 (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060922a). Also, you gelly?

Monk Gelatinous Cube?.

Also, The Enrichment Center is required to remind you that the Weighted Gelatinous Cube cannot talk. In the event that it does talk The Enrichment Centre asks you to ignore its advice.

But, however, my vote goes to the Black Pudding... Although I really like Brine oozes because they desiccate, and there's no escaping that.

bjoern
2014-08-05, 07:23 PM
Gelatinous cube.

Had a guy make a captain America type guy. He did a good job and was so proud of his shield. First session we encounter a cube bychance (DM was not metagaming him) his first attack he hit the cube wwith his shield and it was gone. It was both hilarious and we felt bad for him at the same time. Kind of like a trauma to the groin. The rest of us weren't very optimized so we had to run away since we couldn't deal with it (the DM never intended for us to engage it, just to see it and leave it alone, but we were dumb lol)

Threadnaught
2014-08-05, 07:26 PM
Woohoo Templates allowed, I choose Living Spell because why not?

My favourite is Disjunction, but there are many others.

Vhaidara
2014-08-05, 07:30 PM
Woohoo Templates allowed, I choose Living Spell because why not?

My favourite is Disjunction, but there are many others.

Living Time Stop ftw

Wait, could you make a Living Spell out of a Psionic Power because of transparency? If so, imagine making a Living Spell out of Hypercognition. IT KNOWS. EVERYTHING.

nyjastul69
2014-08-05, 07:39 PM
Too bad green slimes are hazards and not oozes. Those things are nasty. My vote goes to the gelatinous cube. Special mention goes to the black pudding. Imagine Bill Cosby doing a spot for Jell-O Black Pudding Pops.

Yael
2014-08-05, 10:38 PM
Also, The Enrichment Center is required to remind you that the Weighted Gelatinous Cube cannot talk. In the event that it does talk The Enrichment Centre asks you to ignore its advice.

I have a certain theory (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5w6ieaTxGA) in mind (not mine) that might counter your argument. Maybe they could talk, maybe they have living things inside! (Of course it has living things inside, they are being eaten :P)

ArqArturo
2014-08-05, 11:08 PM
I have a certain theory (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5w6ieaTxGA) in mind (not mine) that might counter your argument. Maybe they could talk, maybe they have living things inside! (Of course it has living things inside, they are being eaten :P)

Ok, now this seems interesting XD.

Threadnaught
2014-08-06, 06:06 AM
Woohoo Templates allowed.

I gotta say, I enjoy Living Spells. My favourite is Disjunction, but it's just fun to have something to whack a Mage with their favourite Spell over and over.

Second vote would be Aoa, because they're also cool. Living Spells are better (imo) though.

Yael
2014-08-06, 06:20 AM
Woohoo Templates allowed.

I gotta say, I enjoy Living Spells. My favourite is Disjunction, but it's just fun to have something to whack a Mage with their favourite Spell over and over.

Second vote would be Aoa, because they're also cool. Living Spells are better (imo) though.

Living Spell is fine, however Aoa is an Outsider, isn't it?

NeoPhoenix0
2014-08-06, 06:23 AM
white pudding from frostburn.

because why not.

Threadnaught
2014-08-06, 07:11 AM
Living Spell is fine, however Aoa is an Outsider, isn't it?

So it is. Stupid ooze shaped Outsider.

Darrin
2014-08-06, 07:34 AM
Orthagonel Velodrake (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=16886796&postcount=204) votes for Gelatinous Cube.

Gildedragon
2014-08-06, 08:32 AM
Living Spells for sure

Inevitability
2014-08-06, 09:40 AM
I already voted, but I just like the idea of a Living Prestidigitation. I could easily imagine an elderly wizard having a bunch of these (possibly awakened) float around in his home cleaning his house, cooking his food and cleaning his furniture... all by engulfing it or slamming into it. Requires minor RAW bending to allow the living spells' effects being used on objects, but other than that it seems pretty neat to me.

Ah, I'm just going to stat them up.

Awakened Living Prestidigitation (CL 1)
Medium Aberration (Augmented Ooze)
1d10+3 (8 hp)
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Initiative: -2
Armor Class 8 (-2 dexterity); touch 8; flat-footed 8
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/+0
Attack: Slam +0 (1d4, 20/x2 + spell effect)
Full-Attack: Slam +0 (1d4, 20/x2 + spell effect)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell Effect, Engulf
Special Qualities: Spell Resistance 11, DR 10/magic, Blindsight 60 ft., Ooze Traits (no immunity to mind-affecting effects)
Saves: Fort +0 Ref -2 Will +0
Abilities Str 10, Dex 7, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Use Magic Device +3, Knowledge (arcana) +3, Spellcraft +2
Feats: Toughness
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: -
Alignment: TN
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

A human-sized blob slowly makes its way towards you. It pulses softly, calmly changing colors.

Awakened Living Prestidigitations are slightly smaller than a human, and weigh next to nothing. They are generally helpful by nature, enjoying using their ability to make other's life easier.

Awakened Living Prestidigitations speak common.

Combat

When attacked, an Awakened Living Prestidigitation often tries to flee. If cornered, they strike at their foes with their amorphous bodies, generating uncomfortable heat or cold in an attempt to scare their assailant away.

Engulf (Ex): Engulf (Ex): An Awakened Living Prestidigitation can flow around creatures that fit within its space as a standard action. It cannot make a slam attack during a round in which it engulfs. The Awakened Living Prestidigitation merely has to move over the opponents, affecting as many as it can cover. Opponents can make attacks of opportunity against the Awakened Living Prestidigitation, but if they do so they are not entitled to a saving throw. Those who do not attempt attacks of opportunity must succeed on a Reflex save (DC 10) or be engulfed; on a success, they are pushed back or aside (opponent's choice) as the Awakened Living Prestidigitation moves forward. Engulfed creatures are subject to the full normal effect of the spell each round on the Awakened Living Prestidigitation's turn, and are considered to be grappled.

Spell Effect (Su): A creature hit by an Awakened Living Prestidigitation's slam attack is subjected to the normal effect of the spell making up the creature, as if it were within the area or effect of the spell itself. Saves apply as normal for the spell; the DC is 10.

Hm... I am kind of itching to create a thread where people can show of their weird living spells now. Anyone else who'd like to have something like that?

arclance
2014-08-06, 10:32 AM
I could easily imagine an elderly wizard having a bunch of these (possibly awakened) float around in his home cleaning his house, cooking his food and cleaning his furniture... all by engulfing it or slamming into it. Requires minor RAW bending to allow the living spells' effects being used on objects, but other than that it seems pretty neat to me.
To bad Anthropomorphic is Animal only, I can just see a lonely old wizard making Anthropomorphic Awakened Living Spells to talk to.
A Anthropomorphic Awakened Living Comprenend Languages would be a great Translator NPC.

Inevitability
2014-08-06, 11:16 AM
To bad Anthropomorphic is Animal only, I can just see a lonely old wizard making Anthropomorphic Awakened Living Spells to talk to.
A Anthropomorphic Awakened Living Comprenend Languages would be a great Translator NPC.

You can always fluff the living spells as being vaguely humanoid. In some cases it would be appropriate.

And I just got the idea of an Awakened Awaken (consisting off all the various 'awaken' variants there are). It recently learned how it is to become self-aware and wishes to share the experiences with as many beings as he can.

Leviting
2014-08-06, 12:07 PM
with psionics/magic transparency on, would it be possible for there to be a living time regression? Or imagine the horror of a living mind seed...

Cowardly Griffo
2014-08-06, 01:04 PM
You guys do know that targeted spells (including personal-range spells) can't be living spells, right? A lot of what you guys are suggesting doesn't work by RAW. :smalltongue: