View Full Version : Roleplaying Raise Land Ritual

Tvtyrant
2014-08-03, 12:10 AM
The Raise Land ritual is meant to create an Earth Mote or Forgotten Realms style Wizard enclave. It is also un-Pelorly expensive, and it makes me wonder if anyone has every actually cast it or used it in a campaign?

Kimera757
2014-08-03, 08:03 AM
The Raise Land ritual is meant to create an Earth Mote or Forgotten Realms style Wizard enclave. It is also un-Pelorly expensive, and it makes me wonder if anyone has every actually cast it or used it in a campaign?

I'm afraid not. It's basically an NPC ritual. Given its level, the PCs are about to retire even if they ever get to that point. For a really long-running campaign, PCs could raise money to create a floating city. A giant ground-based army might prompt this.

Dimers
2014-08-03, 09:44 AM
Generally speaking, nobody of less than 30th level can even learn the ritual. Compared to what you can do without rituals but with the right features ... say, the Planeshaper ED capstone that can create floating solids as a minor action ... it can actually be kinda underwhelming. If you're aiming for the whole "flying city" thing you'll probably end up homebrewing something lower level with your DM so that it can see play for a span of time greater than one level.

My answer to the original question is No -- I've never had a campaign reach nearly that high a level as a play or DM.

masteraleph
2014-08-03, 01:04 PM
Or, alternatively, use it as a reward with lots of extra arcane ritual components about to expire- "hey, you defeated Orcus, now you can build that floating castle to retire to if you wish, but if you don't now, that chance will go poof..."

Dimers
2014-08-03, 06:55 PM
Or, alternatively, use it as a reward with lots of extra arcane ritual components about to expire ...

I love doing that with ritual components. "The urn the mummy was carrying has a bunch of myrrh in it. You could sell it for about 140 gp, but this much incense could also power about five Speak With Dead rituals. Ironically, it could also be used for around 70 castings of Gentle Repose."

Yakk
2014-08-03, 09:55 PM
Was the ED that let you cast a ritual as a standard action errata'd?

Dimers
2014-08-03, 10:22 PM

Magister is the one that springs to mind. That still allows a ritual as a standard action twice per day. I don't know if that's a change from the original printing.

Inevitability
2014-08-04, 01:32 AM

They errata'ed it to make it unable to say, cast imprisonment as a standard action and swipe the battlefield clean faster than an optimized ranger.

However, I believe this could still be done. I am not sure though, as I have neither the errata nor the original class nor this particular ritual in front of me now.

Kimera757
2014-08-04, 08:14 AM
The Magister power

Magic's Master (30th level): Twice per day, you can perform any ritual you have mastered as a standard action. The ritual you perform cannot directly affect an enemy. For example, you could perform Raise Dead and revive an ally who could then rejoin the fight. However, you could not perform Imprisonment, which directly affects an enemy.

Planeshaper stuff

Shape Reality (30th level): Your transcendent understanding of the universe empowers you with the ability to bend and warp your environment. You gain an aura 10 that allows you to reshape reality as you see fit. During your turn, you can alter the environment in any of the following ways by spending a minor action:
• Change the temperature. Creatures that start their turns within your aura automatically take 15 cold damage or 15 fire damage (your choice). You can spend another minor action to return the temperature to normal, eliminating this damaging effect.
• Permanently transform any squares of difficult terrain within your aura into normal terrain.
• Permanently transform any squares of normal terrain within your aura into difficult terrain.
• Create breathable air in any or all squares.
• Fill 9 unoccupied squares with a solid surface, such as stone or wood. If you fill a square with a solid surface that is not attached to another surface (in other words, you create a stone slab 5 squares up in the air), the surface hovers in place.

Tvtyrant
2014-08-04, 05:11 PM
I don't think the casting time is nearly as big of a problem as the cost of casting the ritual. Making an island larger then Taiwan in a 6 second period isn't much stronger than making it in an hour or even 24 hours, it is the tremendous cost that does it in.

Also I did not realize how gigantic the size of the land from Raise Land could be. It maxes out at 40,000 square miles!

Yakk
2014-08-05, 08:24 AM
The trick is to kill some catfolk.

Raise land a 200 mile by 200 mile area. In 6 seconds, it goes how far?

Then drop it.

Boom.

Neither directly effect the creatures *on* the land you lifted.

Dimers
2014-08-05, 10:58 AM
Um, not that I'm belittling the power to do so, but ... the version of the ritual I see affects at most an area 10 miles by 10 miles by 5 miles. :smallconfused: Also there's no way to drop it ... or move it at all, aside from it moving up 10' per round to a maximum of 10 miles.

Tvtyrant
2014-08-05, 02:23 PM
Um, not that I'm belittling the power to do so, but ... the version of the ritual I see affects at most an area 10 miles by 10 miles by 5 miles. :smallconfused: Also there's no way to drop it ... or move it at all, aside from it moving up 10' per round to a maximum of 10 miles.

10 mile radius makes it a 314 square mile area. It is explicitly a radius of 10 miles. My earlier number was from me leaving the computer midway through a post and not starting over. As for dropping it, there is always move earth mote.

Dimers
2014-08-05, 02:32 PM
10 mile radius makes it a 314 square mile area. It is explicitly a radius of 10 miles.

Good point. The first two lines said "squares" but then it switches to non-square-based distances. :smallredface:

As for dropping it, there is always move earth mote.

There's always who now? :smallconfused: EDIT: Okay, found the Shift Mote ritual. I hadn't been familiar with the concept of "earthmote". The Compendium doesn't give much more info, but I think I got the basic idea. Well, if I were DMing for you, I'd definitely let you ritually move your floating chunk of land, and I'd also brew up ways to make and move floating fortresses without demented gold piece costs.