PDA

View Full Version : How does being a Hoar fit in ?

CyberThread
2014-08-03, 01:26 AM
In Trynnay of the Dragons, you have the order of the gauntlet which have the gods Tyr, Helm, Torm, and Hoar .

Respectfully

Tyr: God of justice. Lawful Good.
Helm: God of guardians, protectors, protection.
Torm: God of duty, loyalty, obedience, paladins
Hoar (also called Assuran): God of revenge, retribution, poetic justice

One of these things is not like the other.

Does this seem designed to give players an outlet to play the anti-hero>

akaddk
2014-08-03, 02:18 AM
Someone's a thread hoar...

I think it's just an amalgamation of paladinic gods for paladin players. I don't think the actual portfolios necessarily need to be aligned given that they're an organisation bringing together their members for a cause that is uniting disparate organisations such as the Harpers and Zhentarim. The ultimate aim trumping any other need or goal.

Balyano
2014-08-03, 09:20 AM
Your right, Torm just doesn't fit.

You have Tyr, justice (punish criminals, restore the wronged).

Helm, protection (protect the innocent from criminals).

Hoar, retribution (punish criminals).

And Torm, obedience (obey, do as you are told......)

Three make sense as part of a legal system and as proactive opposers of crime, the remaining one can fit such a character, but to a lesser degree.

rlc
2014-08-03, 01:02 PM
...god of the duty to be a good paladin and care for people?

Balyano
2014-08-03, 01:12 PM
...god of the duty to be a good paladin and care for people?

I didn't mean that it didn't make sense for a paladin, just that the other three fit together thematically.

rlc
2014-08-03, 01:16 PM
no, i know. i was trying to think of ways that it fit.
duty to kill bad things, maybe?

Balyano
2014-08-03, 01:26 PM
no, i know. i was trying to think of ways that it fit.
duty to kill bad things, maybe?

Duty to exact justice, to the victims (restoration), and to the victimizers (punishment), Loyalty to the innocent, Obedience to the laws and protocols handed down from heaven (doing the ''right thing'' the ''right way'').

Kuulvheysoon
2014-08-11, 10:58 PM
Wait, does this mean that Hoar is confirmed to be "back"? I was saddened to see that he wasn't in the PHB leaks, as he was one of my favorite gods from the Realms.

Person_Man
2014-08-12, 07:59 AM
Not sure what the meta rationale is. But back in the 80's when I read every Forgotten Realms book I could find in the New York public library system, it seemed like every novel and supplement published created at least one new god, at lest one new knightly order or cult or tribe or guild, and at least 4 new main characters. Last time I looked it up on the wiki, there was something like 300+ different gods. So there's probably a god for literally everything you can think of, and all sorts of organizations that don't make any intuitive sense.

If I had to guess, I would say that Tyr and Torm are both Lawful Good and Helm and Hoar are both Lawful Neutral, and their followers have an uneasy truce/order dedicated to upholding the Law against the many Chaotic forces of the Realm (Tempus, Talos, Cyric, etc). I also wouldn't be surprised if there was a corresponding Chaotic organization (oxymoron much?) of some kind that opposes it, which makes even less sense.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-12, 08:14 AM
You are aware that the Oath of Vengeance exists, right?

Hoar is the perfect patron god for that Oath.

Gracht Grabmaw
2014-08-12, 09:56 AM
Revenge is justice outside of the law. If someone has wronged you but you can't get at them legally for whatever reason, you pray to Hoar.
Paladins of Hoar would be the black-ops branch of the Gauntlet, the guys who are sent into situations where the system has failed and they're the only ones who will do the right thing. Note that the right thing isn't necessarily the good thing.

CyberThread
2014-08-12, 11:20 AM
Grey knight:D

Kuulvheysoon
2014-08-12, 01:00 PM
You are aware that the Oath of Vengeance exists, right?

Hoar is the perfect patron god for that Oath.

I'm well aware, yes (and will probably play as one of my first characters). I'm just saying that in the photos of the leaked 5e PHB, Hoar is not among the listed dieties of Faerun. Then CyberThread mentioned that in Tyranny of Dragons Hoar is explicitly called out as 'returning' (I didn't read all of the 4e novels/materials, but I remember that Hoar was an Exarch of Bane during 4e). I was wondering if he could confirm that yes, Hoar is back in 5e.

Also, anyone else having mixed feelings on the return of Leira (and Mask changing alignments to CN)?

CyberThread
2014-08-13, 06:29 PM
Goddess of Illusion is a big issue right now over at candlekeep also, they are trying to figure it out without having a huge plot hole and they can't. The only thing that works is that cyric is impersonating her again.

As for mask, his always been a bit more CN then CE or NE. Then again he was newly remade from the perspective of his chosen , so that could also make him more concerned with less evil tasks.