PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane in a Your Hands [PrC]

ArmorArmadillo
2007-03-04, 02:26 AM
Why build a prestige class around a single, generally underpowered weapon? Because you throw it, and it comes back to you.

Boomerang Artist

Requirements:
Base Attack Bonus: +4
Skills: Sleight of Hand 4 Ranks
Weapon Proficiency: Any Boomerang
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Point Blank Shot, Weapon Focus (Any Boomerang)

Hit Die: d10
Class Skills: (4 + Int Modifier) Per Level. Clas Skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Jump, Listen, Knowledge (Local, Dungeoneering, Nature, Tactics, and Architecture) Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Swim, Profession (Any), Tumble

Boomerang Artist
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0|Boomboxing, Crescent Throw

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0|Echo Strike, Weapon Specialization (Boomerang)

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1|Hurricane Strike[/table]

Boomboxing: You may prefer to fight at a range, but a sharp whack will do in a pinch. A Boomerang Artist can use a boomerang as a melee weapon with no penalty to his attack roll.

Crescent Throw: Even when the flight path of his favorite weapon is interrupted, a Boomerang Artist can still control the flight path of his weapon. A Boomerang always returns to a Boomerang Artist's owners hand, even if his attack was successful or otherwise interrupted.

Echo Strike: What goes around, comes around. Especially when it's literally a boomerang. Once per round, if a Boomerang Artist of at least 2nd level misses a ranged attack with a boomerang weapon, he may immediately attempt the same attack again, taking a -5 penalty to that attack. Effects that require a character to succeed on an attack roll (such as Hurricane Strike) may still take effect if the second attack succeeds.

Weapon Specialization: At 2nd level, Boomerang Artists gain Weapon Specialization for whichever Boomerang weapon he has Weapon Focus as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the pre-requisites. If he already has this feat, he may choose any other feat for which he qualifies instead.

Hurricane Strike: It's impossible to tell where the Boomerang is going to land. Unless you're fighting the Boomerang Artist; in that case, your nose is a pretty good bet. At 3rd level, Before making your first attack in a round, you may declare any number of opponents within thirty feet. If your first attack in that round is successful, you may immediately roll another attack on the next declared opponent. You may repeat this process until you miss an attack or until you attack every declared opponent once, whichever comes first. You take a cumulative -2 penalty on these attacks for every opponent beyond the first that you've declared this round.

starwoof
2007-03-04, 02:42 AM
Awesome. I love it. I dont think its overpower, as well, boomerangs suck, but I dont think its underpowered either... as you can get quite a few attacks. I may use this prestige class. :smallbiggrin:

Stick_Ninja
2007-03-04, 09:03 AM
This looks really neat, I like the idea of taking a, lets face it, kinda pathetic weapon and making an awesome prc for it

good job AA!

flawed.Perfection
2007-03-04, 03:02 PM
Sweet idea indeed!

One thing though; In the description of Dextrous Throw you wrote:

A Boomerang Artist can apply his Dex modifier to his Attack Roll rather than his Str Modifier on thrown weapon attacks.

Don't you mean Damage Roll instead of Attack Roll?

Also, I suggest moving Dextrous Throw to level 2, to spread out abilities a bit. Having something nice at nearly each level is the best motivation in a certain class.

Collin152
2007-03-04, 04:35 PM
Yeah, Im rather sure all thrown weapons use Dex for attack rolls.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-03-04, 08:18 PM
Ok, that was a mistake, I confused how they work. I've ditched the ability now that it's redundant.

Icewalker
2007-03-04, 10:38 PM
it's a very cool idea and class, but horribly underpowered for a PrC. All it really lets you do is make sure you get your boomerang back (which you get with some magic items) and help you hit multiple people and similar things, not to mention only mediocre saves and ok hit die. I suggest filling in levels 2 and 4, and giving them a new capstone at least.

I suggest modeling a capstone after the title of this thread. Hurricane Throw, or some such thing.

crazedloon
2007-03-04, 11:04 PM
I also like the class and I also believe you should add a few more abilities including a cap stone that gives hurricane ability.

Perhaps have an ability that allows the boomerang to effect a person hit as if they were hit by a Whirlwind spell however they are only effected (i.e. picked up) until your next turn and you must hit them again in order to continue the effect. However you would need to place a rule that if hit again on the turn after being hit and failing reflex save (i.e. they were picked up) they do not receive the extra 3d6 but instead take only 1d8 and a -2 on reflex save to stave of being picked up again.

You could also give it a ability that deals 1d6 at level 1 2d6 at 3 and caps with the above ability at 5.

(just my .02 I realy like the class otherwise)

starwoof
2007-03-04, 11:06 PM
Maybe at level 5 the boomerang creates hurricane force winds?

Marcotic
2007-03-04, 11:10 PM
This class reminds me of mystery men,... but thats completely erelivant

ArmorArmadillo
2007-03-05, 02:40 PM
Ok, I saw the opinions and I think that people were right saying that the class was underpowered. I upped the hit die (as it's a primarily martial class,) but I didn't want to add more abilities as that tends to make the class very busy (and unintuitive.)
I thought about the point of the class: to make the Boomerang a playable weapon. And to that point, I realized that I only really wanted the PrC to be a dip class before continuing on with your original class. So, I've kept the abilities but reduced it to a 3 level PrC, so it's easier to level through.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-05, 02:50 PM
I'm envisioning a Rogue/Boomerang Artist/Master Thrower right now. Mmmmmm.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-05, 03:02 PM
I'm thinking this might work equally well if you merely expanded the Exotic Weaponmaster Prc to have some Boomarang abilities. That's probably just me looking at the 3 levels thing though.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-03-05, 05:16 PM
It's hard to change an existing PrC. If a player wants to be a Fighter/Boomerang Artist/Exotic Weapon Master/Master Thrower, I think that's fine. If a character wants to completely focus himself on a single weapon, I think that's fine.

I like the way the class looks right now; so I'm sigging it, but I'm still open to comments or ideas.

Xandu Hotep
2007-03-06, 11:24 PM
Why weapon finesse? Precise Shot seems more fitting, here, since this is not a melee oriented class. Also, look at your saves. These should be +2+0/+3+0/+3+1.

I'm also in favor of renaming the capstone ability to Hurricane Strike. "Aerial Triangulation" seems kinda "meh."

All in all, a very cool class. I've always liked the idea of making a boomerang fighter, but the suckatude of the weapon made it pretty much unviable. Thank you, I might try and play one. :smallsmile:

ArmorArmadillo
2007-03-06, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the note on the saves.

The weapon finesse was meant to go with Boomboxing (I thought the class should be able to move swiftly between range and melee as a bonus), but I will reconsider switching it to a Ranged Combat feat.

As for the name of AeTr, I may change it. It does seem kind of bad in retrospect.

Collin152
2007-03-06, 11:35 PM
Is not Weapon Focus restricted to Fighters? That makes this... Kind of restricted.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-03-06, 11:45 PM
Nope, only Specialization

Collin152
2007-03-06, 11:48 PM
Uhuh... so rogues can take it, too then. Ho-kai then. Carry on.

jlousivy
2007-03-07, 02:56 AM
the triangle one.... it says on your first attack, so once it misses... you can continue to make the rest of the attacks?

This (following idea, not the class) is probably highly overpowered but maybe improve cresent throw to that it attacks all opponents in a line max of # range increments? ( i don't have any of the stats on a boomerang)

ArmorArmadillo
2007-03-07, 02:27 PM
You can attack opponents until you miss an attack. Also, you take massive penalties for multiple attacks.

crazedloon
2007-03-07, 04:13 PM
how does echo strike work with Hurricane Strike? Does the Hurricane Strike end when you miss or do you get the chance to hit again with the echo strike and continue the attack and if so does the -5 apply to all the rest of the attacks?

ArmorArmadillo
2007-03-07, 11:04 PM
If you hit on the Echo Strike, you may continue your Hurricane Strike, and the -5 applies to the first attack. (It seems overpowered at first glance, but to succeed on an Echoed Hurricane Strike against 3 opponents, you have to make an attack at -9.)

I've edited to make it clearer.

Dragonus45
2007-03-07, 11:20 PM
I like it, i think it would make for a good random npc rogue villan in forrest.

SpartacusThe2nd
2007-03-18, 10:34 AM
I like it very much.
But I think adding the Boomernag's info will be the right thing to do..

Dolphin Safe
2007-12-29, 12:39 AM
Oh man! Someone's gotta use this in a Sokka build for the Avatar D20 Project! It's perfect for it.

Jack Zander
2007-12-29, 01:04 AM
Give it a stunning fist ability usable only with the boomerang so us Zelda fans can have a Linkgasim.

Cieyrin
2007-12-29, 01:58 AM
Frankly reminds me of the Rich's Skiprock Champion but I liked that class, and this class is nifty as well. A job well done.

ForzaFiori
2007-12-29, 02:29 AM
Awesome class.

Although i had this image in my head of a guy chunking a boomerang, and like 2 minutes later, after knocking out everyone, it comes back.

and then i was like "dude, its CAPTAIN AMERICA! in a PRC! only with a boomeran instead of shield"

I'm way to much of a geek.

edit: before anyone asks, yes, i know CA has more skills than just his shield throwing. but that is the one thing that almost everyone seems to know about.

Hecore
2007-12-30, 09:28 PM
Shouldn't Echo Strike be once a round? For example - a Boomerang Artist attempts a Hurricane Strike versus two opponents. He misses the first attack and uses Echo Strike, then hits. It moves on to the next opponent and misses. They attempt Echo Strike a second time - this counts as a different attack on a new opponent.

Obviously this isn't a life or death issue - the minuses will rack up very quickly either way.