PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Lichfiends

Thurbane
2014-08-03, 04:15 AM
Hey all,

Just reading Libris Mortis, and came upon the section on Lichfiends. This allows an evil outsider to gain the Lich template. This would make an awesome MBEG for a game I am running, and would fit perfectly with the storyline/theme.

To qualify, it must be an evil outsider with at least 5 at will SLAs, at CL 11 or higher. The samples they give include balor, glabrezu, marilith, nalfeshnee, succubus, bone devil, horned devil, ice devil, and pit fiend.

I'm wondering what other creatures would qualify, especially Devils or other LE outsiders. The lower the CR, the better for my purposes.

Can anyone come up with more? I had a quick look in Fiendish Codex II - the only ones that qualified were Paeliryon (CR 18), Pleasure Devil (CR 11) and Xerfilstyx (CR 15).

Bone Devil is CR 9 - just wondering what others I might have missed?

Cheers - T

The Viscount
2014-08-03, 01:17 PM
From Monster Manual II the Zovut (demon) is CR 9, the Jarilith (demon) is CR 13, the Kelvezu (demon) is CR 18, and the Arcanoloth is CR 17.

From Fiend Folio the Farrastu is CR 11, the Kelubar is CR 13, and the Shator is CR 16 (all three are demodands). For demons the Alkilith is CR 14, the Klurichur is CR 25, a Maurezhi who has consumed enough to increase its HD is CR 11, the Myrmyxicus is CR 21, and the Wastrilith is CR 17.

From MMIII the Nycaloth is CR 10. They forgot to give him a caster level but with 14 HD it's bound to be 11 or more. The Ultroloth is CR 13.

A Barghest who has consumed enough to increase its HD would also qualify, but there isn't a method of recalculating its CR given, so I suppose still CR 5?

Those are all that spring to mind right now.

Vaz
2014-08-03, 01:19 PM
CL defaults to HD if not mentioned IIRC.

SaintRidley
2014-08-03, 03:37 PM
Half-Fiend or Unholy Scion to anything with 11 HD and one or more at will spell-likes. Or to a level 12 Warlock. Or just an evil Tiefling Warlock 12 (or if you really want to screw with the players' expectations, an evil Aasimar Warlock 12.

Thurbane
2014-08-04, 03:43 AM
Thanks everyone - looks like Bone Devil is still going to be my best bet (I specifically want a Devil of some kind for my purposes). I might advance it's HD if I need to, or add some class levels.

hamishspence
2014-08-04, 06:23 AM
From Monster Manual II the Zovut (demon) is CR 9, the Jarilith (demon) is CR 13, the Kelvezu (demon) is CR 18, and the Arcanoloth is CR 17.

From Fiend Folio the Farrastu is CR 11, the Kelubar is CR 13, and the Shator is CR 16 (all three are demodands). For demons the Alkilith is CR 14, the Klurichur is CR 25, a Maurezhi who has consumed enough to increase its HD is CR 11, the Myrmyxicus is CR 21, and the Wastrilith is CR 17.

From MMIII the Nycaloth is CR 10. They forgot to give him a caster level but with 14 HD it's bound to be 11 or more. The Ultroloth is CR 13.

A Barghest who has consumed enough to increase its HD would also qualify, but there isn't a method of recalculating its CR given, so I suppose still CR 5?

Those are all that spring to mind right now.
Keep in mind that a lot of the CRs were revised in FC1 and FC2.

Thurbane
2014-08-17, 08:35 PM
Keep in mind that a lot of the CRs were revised in FC1 and FC2.

This is true. I've done some pretty extensive searching, and at CR11, the Bone Devil Lichfiend looks like my best option. I'm going to give it a couple of the Devil specific feats from FC2 to spice it up, and maybe throw Evolved Undead on there is the party gets near level 12 before they encounter it.