PDA

View Full Version : One! *cough* Hit point left! *crit*

SangoProduction
2014-08-03, 04:39 AM
Anyone notice that a person damn near death, with 50 arrows in em, and is bleeding from wounding attacks is still just as capable as a fully healthy person? Of course you have.
How about when people always fight to the death, no matter how certain their death is? Is the off chance of killing someone really worth your life, when they have already slain the other 10 people in your squad.
What about when you buy a ladder, break it, and sell back the poles for a profit? No, you didn't see that, because the vendors are the smart NPCs who aren't actually useless.
But regardless, what other ridiculous idiocies do you find happening in all of your games?

Psyren
2014-08-03, 04:45 AM
Rules Dysfunctions Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?333789-Dysfunctional-Rules-Thread-V-Dysfunctions-All-the-Way-Down)

Spore
2014-08-03, 05:34 AM
How about when people always fight to the death, no matter how certain their death is? Is the off chance of killing someone really worth your life, when they have already slain the other 10 people in your squad.

NPCs also have a sense of honor. If they die avenging their brethren with a single kill then they will do so. But not all NPCs are like that and the other things are better covered in the thread Psyren linked.

Chronos
2014-08-03, 07:24 AM
Fighting to the death as opposed to what? Surrendering? Maybe your enemy will have mercy on you if you surrender, maybe not. Fleeing? Maybe they're faster than you, or can pepper you with arrows as you retreat. Yes, trying to continue fighting is risky, but it just might, depending on the circumstances, actually be the least-risky option you have left. Also, they won't necessarily want to avenge their comrades because of honor-- Maybe it's just blind rage. I know that if someone had just killed three of my friends, I'd be pretty pissed off.

Now, sometimes they do choose to flee or surrender. That does happen in games, too. But it shouldn't be every time.

Firechanter
2014-08-03, 07:31 AM
Anyone notice that a person damn near death, with 50 arrows in em, and is bleeding from wounding attacks is still just as capable as a fully healthy person? Of course you have.

Of course. At least in my group that's a running gag.

"Guys, just to let you know I'm down to 7 Hit Points."
"That's cool, it's still 6 more than you need."

Zombimode
2014-08-03, 08:06 AM

Since it was your choice to frame that situation in that particular way, it is your own fault for regarding it unbelievable.

They do? Find a better DM, then? Anyway, not a problem of the system.

What about when you buy a ladder, break it, and sell back the poles for a profit? No, you didn't see that, because the vendors are the smart NPCs who aren't actually useless.

Because no-one wants to buy a broken ladder?