PDA

View Full Version : Pimp my Mage

Dhavaer
2007-03-04, 04:14 AM
I hate picking out spells/day, so I'm looking for help deciding on a standard load out for both a 'standard day' and a day with the expectation of combat. This is in Modern, so there are some different base assumptions:

Touch Defence (AC) is generally higher than in D&D, but normal Defence (AC) is slightly lower, due to class defence bonuses and the lack of armour.
Base saves are generally lower, because Modern base classes use the Medium save progression instead of the Good progression. However, abilities are slightly higher.
Neither of the above apply to creatures without class levels.
There are no spells higher than fifth level.
Medium damage multiple times is preferable to one large amount of damage, due to the massive damage threshold being equal to Constitution.
Telekinesis is a 4th level spell for some reason.
The character has the following spell slots per day, from 1 to 5: 9/8/7/7/6. She prepares spells, and her casting is Int based.

She has a Spellpool ability similar to that of the MotAO from Complete Arcane, and can call up to 3rd level spells.
Her caster level is 13.
She has 36 Intelligence, so any spell affected by a high Int (i.e. Steeldance, Telekinesis) is very much welcome.
She can lose any fourth level spell to cast Telekinesis or Dimension Door (I might change these spells for something else).
She can lose any spell to gain either a Dodge bonus to Defence (AC) equal to twice the spell level or to deal damage dependant on the spell to anyone touching her. Both of these effects last for 13 rounds.
Her metamagic feats are Extend Spell and Maximise Spell.
She spends a fourth level spell slot each day on Extended Improved Biofeedback, causing up to 26 damage from any effect to become nonlethal damage (effectively healing it, due to the way Modern handles nonlethal damage) lasting for 26 hours.Spells from any 3.5 or Modern source are welcome. Sorcerer/Wizard spells would be most fitting, but similar classes (i.e. Wu Jen) are good too.

Turcano
2007-03-04, 05:01 PM
What sort of tactics are you planning on using? Are going for battlefield control, direct damage, save-or-X, debuffing, or a combination of those? Also, I think that Empower Spell might be better in most circumstances than Maximize Spell, if you're still in the character-creation phase.

Dhavaer
2007-03-04, 05:08 PM
I get Maximise as a class feature.
My original thought for tactics was to spend the first round drawing two no-dachis (2d8, 20/x2 crits) and casting Steeldance, then use the second to activate Elemental Armour (the double spell level to Defence ability) and use Telekinesis to grapple for 1d4+13 damage a round, which would normally be enough to force a massive damage save. So probably that would count as direct damage and battlefield control.

Turcano
2007-03-04, 08:55 PM
As far as combat goes, these spells should serve you well in a variety of situations:

1: color spray, fist of stone, grease, ray of clumsiness, ray of enfeeblement, shield, true strike
2: glitterdust, greater slide, mirror image, ray of stupidity, web
3: dispel magic, fly, greater mage armor, haste, magic circle against X, ray of exhaustion, spiderskin, stinking cloud
4: burning blood, confusion, enervation, fear, greater invisibility, orb of X, solid fog, stone sphere
5: baleful polymorph, hold monster, wall of stone

If wind wall protects you from bullets, go with that too. If you get weapons of spell storing, you can put combust and lesser orb of X in them as well. Also, since saves are lower, save-or-X spells become that much more attractive.

General utility spells are very situation-dependent, but divination spells are always handy. Some good non-divination spells are charm person, create magic tattoo, dimension door, and teleport.

Dhavaer
2007-03-05, 02:02 AM
Unfortunately, Fly, Teleport, Magic Circle and Baleful Polymorph aren't available, for various reasons. I'm pretty sure Wind Wall does work against bullets, though. Her weapon is a +3 Skilful Sadistic No-dachi, so there's no room for spell storing, unfortunately (Modern weapons only go up to +6, instead of +10).

Keeping in mind your recommendations, I have the following spell list for combat:

1- Feather Fall, 2x Grease, 2x Colour Spray, 4x empty
2- 2x Wind Wall, 1x Web, 2x Levitate, 3x empty
3- 2x Dispel Magic, 1x Haste, 1x Stinking Cloud, 3x empty
4- Extended Greater Biofeedback, 2x Wirewalk, 2x Greater Invisibility, 2x Enervation
5- 2x Hold Monster, Wall of Stone, Mind Probe, 2x Fate of One

Wire Walk is a teleportation spell that works via phone lines, and Mind Probe is memorised for interrogations. Empty slots are for the Spellpool ability.

TheOOB
2007-03-05, 02:17 AM
Hmm, protection from arrows would be useful in a modern setting, it works agienst guns too. Solid Fog is always a good spell, in a gun fight the target thats unable to move usually is a dead target, also never underestimate evard's black tentacles, especially in modern where high str enemies are rarer since ranged combat is more prolific.

Dhavaer
2007-03-05, 02:55 AM
I'd say the fact that Solid Fog blocks ranged attacks would make up for lack of mobility, it's more a spell to take someone out of the fight for a few rounds. Protection from Arrows is good, but DR is fairly easily obtained from a magic item (Bulletproof Shirt). Evard's is good too, but I'm strapped for 4th level slots as it is. Perhaps I should drop a Hold Monster and apply Extend to a Greater Invisibility.

alchemy.freak
2007-03-05, 11:17 AM
If you need your mage pimped out i suggest platform boots and a cadillac, LOL.

also did you look into that synchronicity spell, its the one that makes your life go perfect just for a day, the only rules benefit is a huge binus on drive cheks, but a good GM may extend other benefits as well

Fax Celestis
2007-03-05, 11:33 AM
If you're going to be fighting with two weapons, Daggerspell Stance would be a good choice, since it's a fire-and-forget booster.

Unfortunately, my knowledge of Modern is limited, but if you can get access to a variety of other sources, might I recommend Cloud of Knives and/or Smiting Spell metamagic? Those tend to be my two standbys.

EDIT: And you'll probably want the Somatic Weaponry feat.

paigeoliver
2007-03-05, 11:45 AM
I'm not sure if your modern DM will let you take prestige classes from Complete Arcane, but if you can then you might want to think about a level of Effigy Master. Being able to create a whole bunch of robot bodyguards would certainly pimp you out quite a bit.

Shatenjager
2007-03-05, 12:44 PM
Wait, you are fighting with 2 no-dachis? Did I miss something? I can't find them in the SRD, but no-dachis are 6 foot long katanas (basically). Fighting with 2 of them (while really cool) is ridiculous as hell. Double check to make sure they aren't 2 handed weapons.

Dhavaer
2007-03-05, 04:15 PM
Wait, you are fighting with 2 no-dachis? Did I miss something? I can't find them in the SRD, but no-dachis are 6 foot long katanas (basically). Fighting with 2 of them (while really cool) is ridiculous as hell. Double check to make sure they aren't 2 handed weapons.

They are two-handed weapons, and I'm only fighting with one of them. I have an extra two to use the Steeldance spell.

I'm not sure if your modern DM will let you take prestige classes from Complete Arcane, but if you can then you might want to think about a level of Effigy Master. Being able to create a whole bunch of robot bodyguards would certainly pimp you out quite a bit.

Classes are already set, the only things I need are spells. Also, it doesn't matter what the DM allows, because I'm the DM.

If you're going to be fighting with two weapons, Daggerspell Stance would be a good choice, since it's a fire-and-forget booster.

Unfortunately, my knowledge of Modern is limited, but if you can get access to a variety of other sources, might I recommend Cloud of Knives and/or Smiting Spell metamagic? Those tend to be my two standbys.

EDIT: And you'll probably want the Somatic Weaponry feat.

Daggerspell Stance requires you to fight with two daggers, and her melee weapon is a No-dachi. I think that also means Somatic Weaponry is unecessary. I don't have any feats left for Smiting Spell.

If you need your mage pimped out i suggest platform boots and a cadillac, LOL.

Thigh-high leather boots and a Mercedes. The boots give a very nice ability, too.

also did you look into that synchronicity spell, its the one that makes your life go perfect just for a day, the only rules benefit is a huge binus on drive cheks, but a good GM may extend other benefits as well

Synchronicity only lasts 10 minutes/level, but yes it is good for day-to-day activities. I'll probably put it in the non-combat list.

PnP Fan
2007-03-06, 01:16 AM
Just a thought, and slightly away from your original topic, but you might want to consider more spell lists than the ones you've mentioned. There are a lot of situations that don't occur in normal D&D that could occur in Modern.

1 Traveling spell list: I usually bump up on my area effect spells for medieval travel, because its typically via wilderness. But you don't necessarily have that option in say, an airplane, or a train. Even in a car, throwing that bit of bat guano at something when you've got a 50 mph breeze blowing past you is going to be difficult.
2. Loud clubs: No bard ever imagined cranking out the volume of modern clubs. This will affect your spellcasting (it ought to require a concentration check at least).
3. Incognito: Not sure about the nature of magic in your setting, but if you are supposed to be secretive (a la World of Darkness), obviously you need to drop the flashy spells sometimes, and focus on other things. If you are in an Urban Arcana setting, then it doesn't matter too much.
4. Law enforcement probably frowns upon deadly spells, or spells with a fire/electricity component to them, for protection of the public good.

Just a few things I thought you might want to consider.

Dhavaer
2007-03-06, 01:29 AM
Just a thought, and slightly away from your original topic, but you might want to consider more spell lists than the ones you've mentioned. There are a lot of situations that don't occur in normal D&D that could occur in Modern.

1 Traveling spell list: I usually bump up on my area effect spells for medieval travel, because its typically via wilderness. But you don't necessarily have that option in say, an airplane, or a train. Even in a car, throwing that bit of bat guano at something when you've got a 50 mph breeze blowing past you is going to be difficult.
2. Loud clubs: No bard ever imagined cranking out the volume of modern clubs. This will affect your spellcasting (it ought to require a concentration check at least).
3. Incognito: Not sure about the nature of magic in your setting, but if you are supposed to be secretive (a la World of Darkness), obviously you need to drop the flashy spells sometimes, and focus on other things. If you are in an Urban Arcana setting, then it doesn't matter too much.
4. Law enforcement probably frowns upon deadly spells, or spells with a fire/electricity component to them, for protection of the public good.

Just a few things I thought you might want to consider.

1. Wire Walk would take care of most transportation, but if something else is required a list made ahead of time might be a good idea. Probably, though, it would just be the day-to-day list with the open slots filled with extra defensive and utility spells.
2. I don't think clubbing is something that really requires its own list. It probably would need Concentration checks to cast, but by level 16 that's not too much of a problem.
3. I'm in Urban Arcana, so the Veil covers this quite nicely.
4. Again, the Veil should mostly take care of this. Being a Mage in Urban Arcana is like having a weightless, invisible, intangible rocket launcher up your sleeve. :smallamused:

Behold_the_Void
2007-03-06, 01:31 AM
Just a note, you're the DM and can rule however you want but I seriously doubt that a Wind Wall could stop a bullet (I rule against it being able to in my own campaign). Just something to think about.

Collin152
2007-03-06, 10:25 PM
How does your mage feel about being pimped? Cause Bigby's Slapping Hand might be coming your way some time soon, buddy.

Dhavaer
2007-03-07, 04:12 PM
Just a note, you're the DM and can rule however you want but I seriously doubt that a Wind Wall could stop a bullet (I rule against it being able to in my own campaign). Just something to think about.

Modern doesn't seem to have a rule regarding the effects of wind. Looking at Wind Wall, it seems that bullets would just have a 30% miss chance, which seems reasonable enough.

alchemy.freak
2007-03-08, 12:21 AM
Being a Mage in Urban Arcana is like having a weightless, invisible, intangible rocket launcher up your sleeve. :smallamused:

that much is true, i am planning a modern military campaign with urban arcana. i got to tell you, when you can blow up a tank while stark naked holding nothing. things can get pretty ridiculous pretty fast

Dhavaer
2007-03-08, 07:34 AM
that much is true, i am planning a modern military campaign with urban arcana. i got to tell you, when you can blow up a tank while stark naked holding nothing. things can get pretty ridiculous pretty fast

If you get Modern Magic, there's a spell that quite literally gives you a weightless, intangible, invisible rocket launcher. It's even called rocket launcher. Best tankbuster there is.

alchemy.freak
2007-03-08, 10:12 AM
here is another one, would synchronicity apply if you are driving a tank, if so, god help everyone else.

as far as my modern campaign goes, my mage is planning to take high ranks in drive(i reworked the skill rules a little) so he may or may not end up driving a tank. the player has played as a sorcerer many times before, and his fav spell is fire ball.

i think my campaign will turn out to be very interesting

Fax Celestis
2007-03-08, 10:45 AM
PS: If the mage in question is the one in your sig, Dhavaer, I'm not pimping her. I'm keeping her for myself.

KoDT69
2007-03-08, 01:14 PM
You only need a few things, even if they're mundane, to pull this off. Have a tailored purple suit, a top hat, a big gold (or gold colored) chain, a cain, and a very ornate carriage with low-rider wheels. You can even have purple dyed leather barding for the horse(s) to match. Hire 4 henchmen as bodyguards and dress them in black. Male or female, no difference. As we all know, pimpin' ain't easy! :smalltongue:

Dhavaer
2007-03-08, 02:26 PM
PS: If the mage in question is the one in your sig, Dhavaer, I'm not pimping her. I'm keeping her for myself.

That's her, Fax, but she's already taken.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-08, 02:48 PM
That's her, Fax, but she's already taken.

Curses. Foiled again.