PDA

View Full Version : Calvin And Hobbes

AMFV
2014-08-03, 04:02 PM
In a previous thread we were discussing how to model Calvin and Hobbes, however, that thread again went down the extensive discussion of the Alexandrian Article about Aragorn. I'm interested to see how people might model Calvin and Hobbes, I mean they make some pretty high powered shenanigans but in their own world they are pretty low powered (Calvin gets beaten by Moe regularly).

Calvin has demonstrated the ability to duplicate himself, teleport through time, shapechange, and potentially other abilities, most of which I can't remember now. Of course his mother (or his teacher) appear able to dispel those abilities without a save, so we must assume they are more powerful.

How would people model this in D&D or Pathfinder? What classes would you use? I'm not going to say that there's any wrong answer here, actually I'm looking for as many diverse models as far as power level, actual level and build goes, I'm interested to see how many different things people will come up with.

Irk
2014-08-03, 04:07 PM
Max out Lucid Dreaming.

AMFV
2014-08-03, 04:09 PM
Max out Lucid Dreaming.

That'd definitely work. I was trying to construct them as though the imaginary stuff was real and the world was just ridiculously high powered, which could be loads of fun as well.

Zombulian
2014-08-03, 04:10 PM
Max out Lucid Dreaming.

Basically this. If he ever manages to get someone within his own domain (his imagination) then he has ultimate power. Otherwise he's quite weak. His Tiger animal companion doesn't even exist outside the dream world.

AMFV
2014-08-03, 04:12 PM
Basically this. If he ever manages to get someone within his own domain (his imagination) then he has ultimate power. Otherwise he's quite weak. His Tiger animal companion doesn't even exist outside the dream world.

Well quite weak, comparatively, as an important side note. It's possible that his world is just ridiculously high powered. Although I think that is probably the most accurate way to model it, it's not quite the most ridiculous.

Edit: As an important note, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with that choice of modeling, I'm just interested to see how a diverse a model we can develop, since there is a lot of different options for diversity of modeling here.

Irk
2014-08-03, 04:52 PM
I think you could also peg Calvin as a deity with Alter Reality, though.

Gemini476
2014-08-03, 05:01 PM
I personally wouldn't stat out a six-year-old unless I wanted the players to be able to kill them.

Maxed out ranks in Craft(Imagination), though. I'm pretty sure that he's just imagining 90% of what is happening.

Slithery D
2014-08-03, 05:06 PM
his tiger animal companion doesn't even exist outside the dream world.

heresy!!!!!

Malroth
2014-08-03, 05:24 PM
Pathfinder Summoner with the tiger as his Edilion

Vaz
2014-08-03, 06:03 PM
Commoner 1. With a Wizard BBEG mindraping him.

I'm honestly scared at how often this is considered an answer to a question and no-one really bats an eyelid.

Zombulian
2014-08-03, 06:13 PM
heresy!!!!!

Or hey, maybe Hobbes is an epic illusionist with selective viewing for Calvin. Heck, we could say that this entire time Calvin was just a Commoner 1 and Hobbes was just creating what Calvin wanted to see while keeping it a secret from everyone else. Like putting True Seeing on Calvin and then casting a bunch of Invisible Major Images.

Arbane
2014-08-03, 08:08 PM

I'm honestly scared at how often this is considered an answer to a question and no-one really bats an eyelid.

It's the answer to ALL questions. ALL OF THEM.

Irk
2014-08-03, 08:13 PM

This makes a horrifyingly large amount of sense. He does it by casting through the TV. It's kinda like a scrying pool.

Arbane
2014-08-03, 10:12 PM
You guys have it backwards.

Hobbes is real. Calvin is a figment of his imagination.

Chronos
2014-08-03, 11:00 PM
No, Calvin and Hobbes are both real. Bill Waterson, however, is a figment of their collective imagination.

Leviting
2014-08-03, 11:13 PM
I just remember reading a Calvin and Hobbes Comic where Calvin, believing he trying to escape the Aliens, makes so much noise his dad comes down to see what was going on, only to find Calvin tightly bound in rope to a chair, apparently tied very tight. The dad is of course confused, wondering how it happened. How would that be emulated? (aside from, natural 1/natural 20)

Zombulian
2014-08-03, 11:20 PM
Or hey, maybe Hobbes is an epic illusionist with selective viewing for Calvin. Heck, we could say that this entire time Calvin was just a Commoner 1 and Hobbes was just creating what Calvin wanted to see while keeping it a secret from everyone else. Like putting True Seeing on Calvin and then casting a bunch of Invisible Major Images.

You guys have it backwards.

Hobbes is real. Calvin is a figment of his imagination.

Um. Sir. Please read the truth.

Inevitability
2014-08-04, 01:37 AM
I just remember reading a Calvin and Hobbes Comic where Calvin, believing he trying to escape the Aliens, makes so much noise his dad comes down to see what was going on, only to find Calvin tightly bound in rope to a chair, apparently tied very tight. The dad is of course confused, wondering how it happened. How would that be emulated? (aside from, natural 1/natural 20)

Latent telekinetic abilities?

Bronk
2014-08-04, 07:12 AM
Maybe: Calvin has maxed lucid dreaming, but Hobbes is an awakened plush golem who plays dead whenever other people are about. That would explain why he's always so clean and in one piece after all of their real world adventures.

Spore
2014-08-04, 07:33 AM
I personally wouldn't stat out a six-year-old unless I wanted the players to be able to kill them.

May I sig this?

Gemini476
2014-08-04, 08:49 AM
May I sig this?

Sure thing. "If you stat it, they will kill it" doesn't only apply to gods, you know. Things like babies (AC 10; HD 1-3; HP 1; MV 5'; #AT 1; D 1; AL N; XP 1) should probably be left to DM fiat.

AMFV
2014-08-04, 08:51 AM
Sure thing. "If you stat it, they will kill it" doesn't only apply to gods, you know. Things like babies (AC 10; HD 1-3; HP 1; MV 5'; #AT 1; D 1; AL N; XP 1) should probably be left to DM fiat.

Well this is more of a thought exercise than anything to be used in an actual game. Also I'm not sure if you'd want to grant babies plot immortality in all instances. For certain games children and young people being actually imperiled is something that people might want (although those would be some very, VERY dark games).

Shining Wrath
2014-08-04, 10:21 AM
Neither Calvin nor Hobbes are real. They are illusions sent by a combined effort of Garl Glittergold and Olidammarra to help us be happy.

Hand_of_Vecna
2014-08-04, 10:58 AM
My gut instinct is to make all of these different characters especially Spaceman Spiff because hes so well developed and Calvin the god who was of at least Overdeity status from one Sunday Strip. A PF Summoner Calvin would be fun, but there is the whole issue of the mystery of the nature of Hobbes. Now that you've got me thinking about it I think I'd like to make him a Shadowcraft Mage that isn't in control of his abilities. Something like Imaginary Larry from Confessions of D-list Supervillian, though that's probably more obscure that shadowcraft mages or any given strip of Calvin and Hobbes.

This was my take on what's really a Calvin inspired character.

The problem with teating many of his daydreams as canon is that not only are they dismissed, but they're consequences are undismissed, people are unkilled and buidlings are dedestroyed when he's awakened. In my view this has three answers.

1. Those fantasies didn't happen at all outside his imagination.

2. The authority figures use diety powers to undo the damage instntly when they dismiss his "fantasies".

3. More interestingly, after manifesting his power he pauses to fantasize about using it and he's "defeated" during these pauses.

Outside these fantasies, I'm now leaning towards an Artificer that usually blows his entire craft reserve on a single item right after leveling.

Oh, good addition to the original list: Create a duplicate that is only his good side.

PaucaTerrorem
2014-08-04, 11:45 AM

Ummmm.... I attack the baby with my Heavy Flail.

YossarianLives
2014-08-04, 11:57 AM

Or maybe Calvin is the epic level illusionist and Hobbes is his familiar.

Brookshw
2014-08-04, 12:01 PM

I can't imagine wanting to play in a game where this was happening. No not even then.

Ehcks
2014-08-04, 03:06 PM
Don't forget. He has epic levels in Craft: Snowman.

AMFV
2014-08-04, 04:00 PM
I can't imagine wanting to play in a game where this was happening. No not even then.

Well at this point we're moving in one of two directions, Grim Dark (which I'm not fond of) or something more absurdist and cartoon-like, where hitting somebody with a flail would result in a <Thwap> sound and no damage to the struck individual. Those are usually the two genres where attempting to hit a baby with a heavy flail would prove appropriate.

Although in a cartoon variation, attempting to hit the baby would probably cause the flail to wrap around your head and then strike you instead.

Irk
2014-08-04, 04:03 PM
Ooh, good call.

Thanatosia
2014-08-04, 04:15 PM
Hobbes is clearly a Raksasha shaping a young impressionable mind into a force of wild chaos, turning him into a tool for future mass destruction. How so? Let's just say the complete destruction of the us economy (http://www.cracked.com/article_20347_5-fan-theories-that-make-classic-movies-even-better.html).

Brookshw
2014-08-04, 08:43 PM
Hobbes is clearly a Raksasha shaping a young impressionable mind into a force of wild chaos, turning him into a tool for future mass destruction. How so? Let's just say the complete destruction of the us economy (http://www.cracked.com/article_20347_5-fan-theories-that-make-classic-movies-even-better.html).

Sometimes I think cracked needs a warning more than tvtropes, that's two hours down the drain.

atemu1234
2014-08-04, 10:08 PM
I'd say Factotum with high intelligence, low wisdom and max ranks in Lucid Dreaming. He has a level of spirit shaman, (Spirit Guide is a Tiger) and carries around a toy version of it. Possibly make it an animated construct.

PaucaTerrorem
2014-08-05, 01:57 AM
Well at this point we're moving in one of two directions, Grim Dark (which I'm not fond of) or something more absurdist and cartoon-like, where hitting somebody with a flail would result in a <Thwap> sound and no damage to the struck individual. Those are usually the two genres where attempting to hit a baby with a heavy flail would prove appropriate.

Although in a cartoon variation, attempting to hit the baby would probably cause the flail to wrap around your head and then strike you instead.

If you stat it...

Phelix-Mu
2014-08-05, 02:11 AM

I like to think of them as two Thrallherds that each have the other as their thrall. If we mix in some psionic sandwich, we can even get them both to be inanimate constructs that each exist only in the (non-existent) mind of the other, in a kind of hall-of-mirrors paradox.

*brain explodes*

Extra points if they are using Lucid dreaming to allow them to have repeatedly true mind switch suicide-chained each other's bodies inside a dreamscape. In fact....

Ouch. I am actually hurting myself with this.

Brookshw
2014-08-05, 06:14 AM

I wasn't going to reply to this but then the idea of playing a game where we're anthropomorphic cats and mice out to do one another in, preferably in absurd manners, while there's some baby with plot armor we're/the universe are sorta watching out for lest the parents come home and we're out in the cold sounded like a great beer and pretzels game.

Inevitability
2014-08-05, 08:11 AM

Also the Craft Construct feat. In one story, his snowmen animate and start attacking people. Heck, it even is on the cover.

EDIT: http://stonergirlsguide.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/attack_of_the_deranged_mutant_killer_monster_snow_ goons.jpg?w=610

Arbane
2014-08-05, 01:30 PM
I wasn't going to reply to this but then the idea of playing a game where we're anthropomorphic cats and mice out to do one another in, preferably in absurd manners, while there's some baby with plot armor we're/the universe are sorta watching out for lest the parents come home and we're out in the cold sounded like a great beer and pretzels game.

It is! It's called "Toon" (http://www.amazon.com/Toon-The-Cartoon-Roleplaying-Game/dp/1556341970).

Debatra
2014-08-05, 03:53 PM

Maxed out ranks in Craft(Imagination), though. I'm pretty sure that he's just imagining 90% of what is happening.

Well this is more of a thought exercise than anything to be used in an actual game. Also I'm not sure if you'd want to grant babies plot immortality in all instances. For certain games children and young people being actually imperiled is something that people might want (although those would be some very, VERY dark games).

Movement: Gets away if you let it.
Saving Throws: Miraculously survives all accidents.
Armor Class: You hit.
Hit Points: Congratulations, Baby-Killer.
Special Qualities: I hope you can live with yourself.

Brookshw
2014-08-05, 04:13 PM
Movement: Gets away if you let it.
Saving Throws: Miraculously survives all accidents.
Armor Class: You hit.
Hit Points: Congratulations, Baby-Killer.
Special Qualities: I hope you can live with yourself.

Oh come on, you didn't even give The Giant credit for that!

Debatra
2014-08-05, 04:35 PM
Oh come on, you didn't even give The Giant credit for that!

I'd assumed (and apparently I was correct, if perhaps a bit forward) that it would be recognized.

mr_odd
2014-08-05, 10:11 PM
It is! It's called "Toon" (http://www.amazon.com/Toon-The-Cartoon-Roleplaying-Game/dp/1556341970).

I have it. It's absolutely absurd and fun.