PDA

View Full Version : optimization

Anbu002
2014-08-03, 09:33 PM
Is it possible to over optimize a pc

torrasque666
2014-08-03, 09:38 PM
it kinda is, but those are typically TO(Theoretical Optimization) builds. Why do you ask young fey?

Anbu002
2014-08-03, 09:51 PM
I'm at work right now sorry when I get home I'll explain the situation in detail I hope you can reply then at your convenience

gooddragon1
2014-08-03, 09:58 PM
Optimization is relative to the group, but nobody likes an arms race.

Hecuba
2014-08-03, 10:13 PM
Is it possible to over optimize a pc

Yes. Pulling your punches can often avoid this, but there are (murky and often unclear) limits.

If the level of optimization you are using results in either your character mechanically out-performing the other PCs or in the level of mechanical intricacy for your character's actions regularly exceeding the rest of the actions taken at the table, you are likely over-optimized for your group.

By the same token, it is possible to under-optimize: if you are consistently unable to contribute to challenges or your turns seem pointless and irrelevant when compared to the rest of the PC turns, you might try to up your system mastery to a level closer to that of the ready of the table.

nedz
2014-08-04, 02:27 AM
IMHO the best games are where the party is fairly balanced. Now this can be hard to achieve in 3.5 beyond about level 5; and having one character optimised to a point where the whole game revolves around them is bad for the group and the game. Having the more powerful character hold back doesn't really cut it as far as I am concerned because I want to challenge the whole group at the table.