PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Refluff That Build!

Arkhaic
2014-08-03, 10:30 PM
What is this, you ask? Welcome to Refluff that Build, where posters present builds for other posters to refluff! There isn't much more to it than that.

Rules:

Builds may be as simple or complex as desired, ranging from "Undefined LA 0 Race Ranger 1/Fighter 3" to a full character sheet.
Keep in mind that simpler or lower leveled builds are easier to give a self-consistent source.
Assume that Antimagic Fields do not exist—aside from mechanical differences involving AOOs and (sometimes) dispelling, there is no need to differentiate between Spell-like, Supernatural, and Extraordinary abilities.
If a class has selectable abilities of a widely varying nature, specify at least generally which abilities were chosen. Wizards and sorcerers, I'm looking at you.

Sample Build:

Paladin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/paladin.htm) 3/Evolutionist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?240717-The-better-man-There-is-no-such-thing-base-class) 3 (Mutations chosen from the Ancient and Construct lists)

Sample Fluff:

Sepas is quite literally without a soul-or, as those who named him argue, he /is/ one, in corporeal form. At a glance he appears human--and most of the time he physically is. He was designed as a secret weapon, an untraceable being that can walk into any place, unarmed, reshape his body into the needed equipment and complete his assigned task. He can even inject a quasimagical alchemical cocktail into others to provide healing if need be--or drain sustenance from others to feed himself (proboscis, lay on hands). Sepas fears nothing, and his unusual form provides a resistance against most forms of attack, be they magical or physical. But eventually, he was defeated and captured by a witch of the crueler persuasion. She cursed him, but allowed Sepas to keep his abilities--if he followed a strict, legalistic do-gooder code that she designed. Worthless to his former masters, Sepas wanders the world hoping to eventually find a cure to the Paladin Code.

Forrestfire
2014-08-03, 11:28 PM
I guess I'll kick off the thread with its first build:

Beguiler 1 (with Versatile Spellcaster)/Warlock 1/Binder 1 (Improved Binding)/Anima Mage 10 (advancing Warlock), using the interpretation of Complete Arcane's metamagic rules that allows free metamagic to be applied to SLAs.

torrasque666
2014-08-03, 11:45 PM
...using the interpretation of Complete Arcane's metamagic rules that allows free metamagic to be applied to SLAs.

Where does it say that? Everything I'm seeing is that SLAs can't benefit except from the Sudden line of metamagicks.

But my contribution:

Warforged(Adamantine Body) Fighter 5(Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush)/Juggernaut 5

Forrestfire
2014-08-04, 12:01 AM
This is a human combat mage, specializing in long-lasting magic that passively improves his physical abilities. His main weapon is a "suit" of razor-sharp force fields that are constantly shifting around him, allowing him to strike at enemies just by closing distance with them (armor spikes). He also has various toughness-increasing transmutation effects active at all times, and will often emit close-ranged pulses of force to knock enemies around. His combat style and enchantments let him stay in the thick of combat, tanking most blows through clever positioning of his force fields and controlling the area around him through the aforementioned force pulses.

Sudden Metamagic Feats: These metamagic feats don’t require modified spell slots, and so they work as well with spell-like abilities or invocations as they do with spells ...

Other Metamagic Feats: Except as noted above, metamagic feats can’t generally be used to modify spell-like abilities or invocations.

Emphasis mine. You can read that passage as "Sudden Metamagic feats work with SLAs because they don't affect spell level" or "Sudden Metamagic feats work arbitrarily." The passage could be interpreted either way, but I think that the RAW is that it works (I'm almost certain that it's not RAI though).

bekeleven
2014-08-04, 01:34 AM
Gestalt Warlock 12//Servant Soul (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?362608) 12. My interpretation, as seen on this old character sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=722851), was a woman who just couldn't stop making contracts.

heavyfuel
2014-08-04, 03:13 PM
Can anybody refluff not a build, but a class. The Spelldancer is a mighty powerful class when combined with Persistent Spell, but it has the major downside of being frilly.

It could be that I'm just uncreative as they come, but I think this will quite the challenge.

torrasque666
2014-08-04, 03:16 PM
well Forrestfire did basically just refluff Juggernaut.

Arkhaic
2014-08-04, 04:10 PM
Can anybody refluff not a build, but a class. The Spelldancer is a mighty powerful class when combined with Persistent Spell, but it has the major downside of being frilly.

It could be that I'm just uncreative as they come, but I think this will quite the challenge.

The Spelldance itself could be refluffed as a ritual that draws the magic from an area—movement is necessary to find other pockets of magic to continue fueling the spell. Enthralling, sleep and confusing dance would be an extension of the same principles—the spelldance performed there would be movement to find enough magic to sustain the spell. Cooperative Dance is just another individual performing motions to guide the magic towards.

Note that while Perform (dance) is needed to qualify, the perform checks you make can be whatever you want—talk the DM into using perform (ritual) or whatever.

This one isn't really a major refluff, really—just changing spelldancing into something other than dance. (Evasion makes perfect sense—the rituals require motion, so you would be accustomed to ducking and weaving even in the midst of combat).

Forrestfire
2014-08-04, 07:52 PM
To refluff spelldancer, use Perform (Yelling) and disguise self. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwrHGO7ljR0)

Cooperative Dance (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0uQor_juqE) can just be Perform (Dance), though.