PDA

View Full Version : In the Service of the Black (IC)

Toxic Mind
2014-08-03, 10:57 PM
Debts of Old

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130414172243/warhammer40k/images/2/28/Battlefleet_Koronus.jpg

The Viresa Tergo Abraham
The Navigator swears up and down that it wasn't their fault. The storm was impossible to detect, it was claimed, and besides, their Gellar Fields remained intact. So everything had gone according to plan, more or less. But Lord-Captain Avery Abraham knew differently. What should have been a short jump in the Calixis sector from Port Wander to Footfall landed them somewhere that even the experienced Rogue Trader, with all his charts, had no idea. The stars in the Augur Arrays were unfamiliar to the Trader, who had rarely ever been outside the Calixis Sector in his life. But the command staff does not wait for long. Long range scans have picked up a structure, impossibly large and intricate. And apparently, not uninhabited. The vox crackles to life. ++Rogue Trader Vessel, you have entered Restricted Voidspace. Power down your engines and prepare your command crew for transport. If you do not comply, we will be forced to destroy you. In the name of the Holy Inquisition, I charge you to obey++ The speaker does not identify himself, but whoever spoke, it is clear that they are one of authority, used to having their orders obeyed without question. Even as you look to the augur crews, contemplating returning to the warp, they shake their heads. The weapons trained from the station are more than enough to vaporize a ship 3 times the size of your frigate. Already, the ship sensors pick up a Lander, Aquila class, heading towards the ship, likely to retrieve the command crew. You have mere moments before it arrives and so as the senior officers walk to the docking port, you have a moment of silence to speak among yourselves.

If you have vitally important things to say, say them now. The Lander will be here in moments.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120603233847/warhammer40k/images/0/07/Omega_Vault.jpg

The Watch Fortress
Secondment to the Deathwatch was always a great honor, and proof enough that you were one of the finest among the battle brothers of your chapter. Yet the circumstances surrounding your secondment were nigh unheard of. Specifically requested by the Watch Commander himself from your chapters, when you arrive at Watch Fortress Erinoch, already your reputation is cemented. There is no trial, no test, no period of waiting. You are received as long-lost companions even as you disembark. The Serf that meets you takes you immediately to the Omega Vault where you will make your Oath to the Master of the Vigil. New Oaths are almost always attended by numerous Watch Captains, and occasionally battle-brothers from the same Chapter, but as your reach the massive door carved with the ancient Terran symbol for the End, Omega, you are greeted by only one individual. In other circumstances, it would have been a slight to your honor, but the man standing before you is none other than Watch Commander Mordigael. The Watch Commander, a Blood Angel before he undertook his Watch, is well known as both an unyielding warrior and a sound tactician. He motions for you both to kneel before the vault and take your Oath.

The Nature and Words of your Oath are yours to speak.

Tychris1
2014-08-04, 03:19 AM
Thanator glanced at the space marine to the side of him, he had never spent a considerable amount of time with a Space Marine outside of his chapter, atleast not with one he wasn't trying to kill. As a matter of fact, Thanator didn't really recognize the Chapter that his fellow Astartes harkoned from, but he didn 't pay it much attention. It was unimportant in the grand scheme of things anyway, much like the Astartes himself. He kneeled before the Watch Captain, his bronze shield laid before him as a sign of deference, and with his ceremonial decorative spear gripped tightly in hand he began to recite his oath.

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death or release. I shall take no aid from my chapter, hold no lands, and consort with no xenos. I shall wear no crowns and seek glory only for the Emperor. I shall live and die at my post. I am the spear in the darkness. I am the watcher in the void. I am the fire that burns against the foul Alien, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the unenlightened, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Deathwatch, for this night and all the nights to come."

DrK
2014-08-04, 03:56 PM
Maximillan knelt beside the other marines in the vaulted chamber. The faint smell of incense in the air as he stands by the doors to the fabled Omegae vault and in the presence of one of the most famed Watch Captains in the mysterious Deathwatch Chapter. He had watched as he had entered, wondering which of the brothers he had served alongside in his time in the Jericho Reach. A long 4 decades of warfare with the Subjugators now at end with the request to join the Deathwatch. His Company Commander wishing him the Emperor's blessing alongside a task to uphold the honour of the chapter.

Taking a knee he speaks the Apocryphon Oath as he knelt in supplication. Hark ye, who are pure in the eyes of the Emperor. Hark now, as I, your loyal Orator, recite this, the Apocryphon Oath, of one of His most holy Space Marines.

Let it be known by all dominions, powers and authorities, I, Brother Maximillian of the Subjugators, take this the most sacred Apocryphon Oath, and will be seconded to the Deathwatch until such time of my death, or until the specifics of my oath shall be considered and proclaimed to be discharged.
On the honor of my chapter, my Primarch, and the Emperor, I am sworn to destroy the Alien, confront the myriad enemies of the imperium, and obey the most solemn vows of the Apocryphon Conclave. I will watch in the dark places, I will safeguard the night, and annihilate the vile xenos and bring unto them the judgment of mankind. I will stand as the bulwark upon which the Imperium persists, from now, unto the ending of the universe.
I, the bearer of this oath will be accorded the utmost honor in word and deed. Let all know that the gaze of the Emperor and the blessed Primarchs shall follow me wherever I deign to tread, so that even in death, they shall know my name.
So it is sealed, by word, blood and deed, by the grace of the Apocryphon Conclave, the Deathwatch, and the Senatorum Imperialis.
To be Unclean that is the Mark of the Xenos
To be Impure that is the Mark of the Xenos
To be Abhorred That is the Mark of the Xenos
To be Reviled That is the Mark of the Xenos
To be Hunted That is the Mark of the Xenos
To be Purged That is the fate of the Xenos
To be Cleansed For that is the fate of all Xenos
We bring justice by sword, by shell, by flame. In his name, suffer not the alien to live!

Toxic Mind
2014-08-04, 04:31 PM
The Omega Vault

The Watch Commander simply nods, and you know that the words satisfy. Ignorance is a virtue in the Imperium, and so you do not question the lack of other battle-brothers of the Deathwatch. Though soon enough, the reason for this absence becomes clear. The Watch Commander bides you rise, and face him. His voice is solemn and deep as he explains to you the strange nature of your coming. "Though you wear still the raiment of your Chapters, you are now of the Deathwatch. You alone among all your brothers, among the many Chapters, were chosen to serve me in this most sacred of tasks. When I spoke to the your Chapter Masters, without hesitation they placed you as the most faithful of all in the Chapter, the most fervent guards against corruption, and the most steeled against the false promises of the Ruinous Powers. You will need these skills for what lies ahead." The next words out of the Watch Commander's mouth shake you to your very core. "There is something dark festering in the heart of the Deathwatch. It hides itself, but I can feel it. You have been called here, you who had no prior ties, to root out this evil, and to see it purified in His Light, before it consumes us all. This is the task set before you. Choose those you trust wisely, for no one is above suspicion. You will be tasked with missions by myself, as would any other serving his Watch, but each one will hopefully bring you closer to the evil within. Speak now, for once we leave this room, I will show no favoritism, no sign of this beyond the missions you are given. If you fail, we may all fall."

The Watch Commander falls silent, as if he knows that only that silence would allow you to utter words.

Seriously though. Ask now, because after this, he's going to CIA you and disavow all knowledge.

ArcturusV
2014-08-04, 07:07 PM
"I am but a humble servant."

Jonah didn't have as much warning as he would have liked. A rough transition to real space, a simpering apology from the Navigator Lord's minions... and a threat from an unidentified enemy. Only claiming to be Inquisition. Meaning something very scary, or something very stupid. In either case, Jonah Cruz, savior of Separis Prime, Torchbearer of the Emperor's Light into dark spaces, came out the ship's temple dressed in his robes. No weapon on him, no sacred carapace armor. It remained on it's racks, weapons that had served the EMPRAH to inspire the faithful.

... in any case he doubted that anything that could turn the vessel into dust was going to be taken over by a single priest on a mission from the Emperor.

Moving through the corridor he nodded at the Ratings who flashed the Aquila at him. Only fitting as he wore his Ecclesiarchal Robes. Left, right, through the corridors, linking up with the other members of the Command Cadre of the Lord Captain. Jonah was flexing his fingers slowly at his sides, and after a long wait he finally said, "The Emperor guide our souls," not much of a prayer, but he was a simple man who was used to preaching to simple people. Flashing the Aquila. "So, whatcha thinking?" he asked the others, wondering just what forces were waiting for them. Heretics, Xenos, Daemon Cultists, seperatists... who knows?

Arutha
2014-08-04, 08:45 PM
Rhobahr was... less than pleased with The Lord navigator and even though he said it was not his fault that some throne-dammed warp storm had deposited the ship emperor knows how many systems away from where profit and fame awaited, Rhobahr thought that it had to be someones fault, and the navigator was supposed to be the one responsible for navigating. And then when the loud, authority filled voice commanded the command crew to stand down and await transport, Rhobahrs day got even worse.

And so it was, that Rhobahr was standing at the docking port, wearing only his body glove and leather duster inscribed with prayers to the god-emperor, his holsters empty, and his gloved hands carefully whittling a pice of Glasswood with his knife taken from a long dead xeno. Whatever happened, he was as ready as he could be for dealing with the Inquisition.

TGFV
2014-08-05, 12:44 AM
Svril stalked down the corridors leading from the Navigators Enclave on board the ship. He had spent the last few minutes composing himself after assisting Navigator Adept Y'rink with the last while of the voyage. Usually either of the two navigator adepts can navigate the ship easily themselves for even long journeys for their shifts. But this had been something different. Minutes after the warning cipher had been sent out, Svril had arrived and taken charge of the navigation, having both Y'rink and Novice T'ttul assist to merely survive the end of the trip and re-entry.

Currently the whole of the Navigation staff, all 4 of his clan-kin onboard, as well as the attendending staff, Astro-adepts and menials were poring over star charts and trying to decipher where they were and how they had arrived here with the exception of Y'rink who was currently on bedrest.

He was still musing over possible causes for such a severe and unwarranted storm when the lift door hissed open and he stepped out into the loading dock. He looked at the few faces already gathered, and seeing their accusing looks, he merely looked down on them. He was a Lord Navigator, one of the council of his clan, and they had no clue what it took to navigate a ship through even the simplest safest route. Let them judge. He re-arraigned his mesh armour and hellpistol under his ornate robes, finding a place to stand and lean on his staff of office.

"Did the transmission mention who it was that we were being met by per chance?

DrK
2014-08-05, 01:00 AM
Watch Station

Maximilian nods at the words. Worried inwardly by the suggestion that evil may lie within the Deathwatch itself. As thou command Captain. I shall be the instrument of your will. None who worship the dark powers shall escape our wrath. Command me."

After that he awaits his first command.

Tychris1
2014-08-05, 03:07 AM
Thanator looked the Watch Captain over, standing fully erect as his hand moved to retrieve the ceremonial shield and slide it back into its rightful place. He also took the time to look his partner over more thoroughly, taking in his build, stature, and tone as he addressed the Watch Captain. He may not have had any pertinent questions to ask, but Thanator was determined to be prepared for whatever threat he was forced to deal with.

"I have but a few questions to ask. Captain. Namely, what is the nature of this evil that we are being assigned to vanquish? Is it of Xenos, Heretical, or Daemonic origin. Secondly, will we be empowered to use any force necessary to eliminate this threat within the Deathwatch's ranks, up to and including deadly measures, or will a level of tact be a prerequisite. Furthermore, are the parties present the only ones aware of this threat, and if so how did you come upon this information. Lastly, will this objective comprise the entirety of the mission for our secondment to the Deathwatch?"

dupersudi
2014-08-05, 10:47 AM
Roused far too rapidly from his sleep, even as he rushes to the bridge his servants are trying to correct his disheveled appearance. He comes roaring into the bridge, sees the message, orders a quick response message to be sent. "We will immediately comply. Power down the engines safely, do not make any sudden actions, but see if you can get a bearing on where we are exactly. Lord Navigator, join me in welcoming our esteemed guests, yes yes I understand the Warp took you by surprise. It tends to do that." Giving his servants a moment to finish correcting his appearance, he races off to the landing dock where the shuttle is arriving. His appearance is impeccable now, wearing a highly detailed, and extremely high quality, Imperial Admirals uniform over his cunningly designed and fitted Light Carapace which is very difficult to notice, with a utilitarian Plasma Pistol and Power Sword strapped to his sides and a large Xeno pelt functioning as a cape. One of his servants behind him holds his helmet. He stands stock still waiting for the shuttle and orders all crew in the bay to form an honor guard as befitting Inquisitorial visitors. He subtly activates his vox and orders several squads of ship security to take positions around the hanger, just in case.

ArcturusV
2014-08-05, 12:01 PM
Parade Formations and Such

Jonah watched curiously. The man himself was hardly "presentable". His own large bulk and scar tissue openly worn on his face made him closer in appearance to a hiver dreg gang enforcer, marked by difference only for the Ecclessiarchal robes that he wore clearly marking out his status among the Missionary Galaxia. He discretely nudged the captain, giving a glance to the Lord Captain and the other command staff that have arrived, "Sends the wrong message, to be armed when seeing the Inquistion?" he asked. Granted, Jonah was always armed in a fashion, but you did what was best. He wasn't looking for a fight against a holy Ordos. He shrugged, it was a simple suggestion to be taken or left as needed. Tensions were clearly high all around. While he knew sometimes you had to crack a skull, or at least appear to be willing to, sometimes you had to seem more calm and serene.

Toxic Mind
2014-08-05, 12:03 PM
Before the Vault

The Watch Commander looks approvingly to Maximilian. "Your fervor is commendable, brother, but do not let that blind you. Those you hunt will be just as fervent in their beliefs, misguided and false though they may be." Modrigael then turns to Thanator. "As to the nature of the Evil, I know only that it comes from within the Deathwatch itself. An ancient prophecy revealed to me from within the Vault itself spoke of this day, and gave a grave warning of a doom that could only be averted if the corruption at the heart of the Watch was found and brought to light. When dealing with your brothers, you must use tact and stealth. Were you to attack and slay one of your brothers without evidence of his fault, I would be forced to discharge your oath, and have you declared Excommunicae. As of yet, only we three know of this doom. The Omega Vault was very clear on hiding the prophecy from all but the Watch Commander. It revealed itself in such a way that none but me would discover it. This is your mission in its full entirety, though I suspect by the time this is over, you will have served far longer than most." Modrigael makes no overt sign, but must have clicked his subvox, because the exterior doors slide open, and a chapter serf bows once then enters. "Take our new brothers to the Hall of Glory and see that they are outfitted as befitting those of the Deathwatch." The serf bows once more, and motions for you to follow him.

The Hanger

The Lander arrives quickly enough even as you make the preparations, which finish just as the bay doors open and the man sent to collect you walks down them. Though, to claim him as just a man would be like claiming Khorne to be "a little angry". The man sent to collect you is none other than one of the Adeptus Astartes, the Emperor's Space Marines. His armor is black, and his shoulder is silver. Upon his right arm is a silver band of runes, a Clavis. He carries a large halberd easily, as if he was so familiar with the weapon it was little more than an extension of himself. Most of the crew simply stare in stunned silence. Even having not been appraised of the situation, simply seeing one of the Astartes cowed most of them to silence. "Lord-Captain Abraham. Come with me. Your Officers may join, should they wish. Your crew will remain here. I will answer your questions on route, as best I may." The Astartes stands to the side, motioning the Captain and his Officers into the Lander. He seems utterly unconcerned by their armaments, and given what you know of the Astartes, he is well within his rights to not be concerned. The gilding on his armor alone would proclaim him a veteran, without even mentioning the Clavis.

dupersudi
2014-08-07, 12:41 AM
Avery is incapable of concealing his surprise, he has never witnessed an Astartes before. He recovers quickly however, and performs a well practiced bow. "But of course we will join you, noble Astartes. And I know that I, at least, will have quite a few questions."

Tychris1
2014-08-07, 03:28 AM
Thanator looks to the Watch Captain, giving him a curt nod in recognition before following the Serf, and as befitting of a Minotaur barely paying the serf any attention at all. His focus was far more vested in this Astartes that was assigned with him in a Kill team. Thanator knew next to nothing of him, other then that he was deemed worthy enough of serving side by side him in this mission. And yet considering its nature, none were above suspsicion, and so Thanator would have to test his mettle.

Eventually.

Toxic Mind
2014-08-07, 11:59 AM
The Hall of Glory

As you enter the Hall of Glory, it becomes quickly clear that whatever your estimates of how long the Deathwatch had served, it was woefully inaccurate. The walls were covered with names, carved carefully by cherub sevitors, which even now flew overhead. As you watch the strange machines, the serf motions you to a devotional in the wall, two side by side. Both contain the left shoulder and arm of an Astartes Power Armor, but this is silver, and marked with the emblem of the Deathwatch. Reverently, the serf and others like him remove your left shoulder plate and replace it with the silvered one. The removed piece is set into the devotional, for you to retrieve once your Watch is finished, or your Chapter to retrieve, should you fall.

As it was done, your armor is painted black, though the markings of your chapter are left intact. Soon enough, there is little enough to overtly distinguish between you an your companion, beyond the make of your armor. The serf bows deeply. "The forge master requests your presence in the Training Grounds. Shall we depart, my lords?" he says softly, though his voice is strangely toned, as if a long ago wound troubled him, or more likely, a malfunction of an implant.

The Lander

The Battle Brother simply nods, and ushers you aboard, the remainder of the command crew either unable, or likely awed into unwillingness, to speak anything further. As you strap yourselves in, the black-clad Astartes takes his place at the controls and you lift smoothly into the Void. If you crane your neck, you can see out of the front voidscreen, to the massive structure you are headed towards.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111116224736/warhammer40k/images/b/b9/Watch_Fortress_Erioch.jpg"]http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111116224736/warhammer40k/images/b/b9/Watch_Fortress_Erioch.jpg

A massive space station looms, and the more experienced eyes among you note that the boast of being able to destroy the frigate was not made in jest. Innumerable weapons bristle along the station, and you even note a few weapons that bear striking resemblance to Nova Cannons. Whatever else he might claim, the man that hailed you clearly had power and influence.

Over the ship's vox, the Atartes answers your unasked question. "Watch Fortress Erinoch. It has been here longer than the Emperor has lived in this universe. But you had questions. I will answer what I can, before we arrive." His tone is not friendly, but it is at least cordial.

ArcturusV
2014-08-07, 12:50 PM
On Route to Watch Station Liefeld :smallbiggrin:

Jonah remained silent as he boarded the vessel. There was a sort of stoic grimness to the set of his movements and expression as he had strapped in and the Lander launched. He had seen quite a bit in his time. He had been in plenty of fights where he was outclassed and outnumbered. He had seen things, a man of faith able to punch a daemon into critical existence failure, stabbing someone with a flaming brand and making them explode. Miracles and more.

The view of the station, and of the Angel of Death, were not miracles. It reminded him more of the forces of darkness, always touting superior power as a trade for righteousness. Maybe if he followed the Machine God he would have thought differently. Maybe if he was a Techno-Warrior who relied on advanced weapons and many of them. But his ministry as a Missionary was spent on worlds where if you were lucky the Bow had been invented. He fought tooth and claw against enemies, or with simple implements. He annihilated a Chaos Invasion with nothing more at his side then men of faith and simple stone axes.

Granted, he wasn't going to point this out to the SPESS MEHREEN... but it was still running in the back of his mind what a truly ricockulous amount of guns was hiding.

DrK
2014-08-07, 03:13 PM
Hall of Glory

Following the serf the Subjugator walks in silence contemplating the Watch Captain's words. A truly worrying development if there is indeed a rot within the heart of the Deathwatch itself. He had faced the traitor and renegade astartes before. And he had nothing but white hot hatred and contempt for them. Eyeing up the Minotaur alongside him he wonders if the Astartes beside him will be up to the task.

In the Hall of Glory he takes a moment to pray to honour the glory of the Deathwatch before reverently placing his shoulder plate in its place. At the words he nods. "Lead on. I will see the Forgemaster."

dupersudi
2014-08-07, 03:40 PM
"Lord Astartes, my first question is what is your name? My second is where are we? A Warp Storm threw us far off course, and we have yet to locate our position. My third question is who, or what are you taking us to? And my fourth question is how can it be older than the Emperor? He walked Holy Terra before man ever left it."

Toxic Mind
2014-08-07, 05:27 PM
The Forgemaster

The Serf bows once more and leads them onwards. The fastest way to the Training Grounds was through the Ossuary, but out of respect for the Librarian, the Serf takes a slightly longer route. Even from this distance, the Subjugator Librarian can feel the psychic screams of anger and rage emanating from the room. The spirits of many unquiet Xenos rested there. Though almost all screamed incoherently, the Librarian was sure if he tried hard enough, he could listen in on the few that whispered.
Hard (-20) Psyniscience Test or Focus Power for Short Range Telepathy

Soon enough, the bones were behind them, and they reached the Training Grounds that served the Deathwatch. Waiting for them was the Forge Master. "I am Forge Master Dragos Ferral. I have been instructed to provide you with weapons and armor for your missions, which will take you far from the comfort of Erinoch. But first, you must prove yourself adept enough to me. I do not care who seconded you, or what you have done before. Choose your weapons, and the test will begin." The Forge Master was an imposing man, with the coal black skin and red eyes of the Salamanders Chapter. He wore no armor, and the implants gleamed coldly, as much instruments of destruction as they could be of creation. Behind the Forge Master sits a veritable armory of weapons, almost anything the Space Marines could ever want. It was clear that before the Forge Master would equip them, they would need to satisfy his own knowledge of their skill. The form that test would take, they could only guess at. All that was left was to choose their weapons, and prepare for the worst.

The Lander

"I am Apothecary-Keeper Gordian. As for where you are, you are in the Jericho Reach, a sector once lost to the Imperium, now newly found to them, and in dire need of the Emperor's Grace. As for the who, I will leave that for when you arrive. The station before you is Watch Fortress Erinoch, home of the Deathwatch. We are bpth part of, and separate from, the Ordo Xenos. The Jericho Reach is our area of operations, and we guard it from all who do not serve the Emperor. As for the last, the truth lies far beyond what you could comprehend. But whatever or whoever created the fortress left it here for us, as if they knew we were coming. The secrets of Erinoch are many and deep, and not easily found out." The Space Marine is not unfriendly, an odd quality in the Astartes, and seems more than willing to talk, within reason. But the journey is not so long, and soon enough you find yourselves beneath the shadow of the massive fortress, headed for one of the landing bays that dot the surface. The lander touches down, and the hatch door opens. The hanger is empty. Keeper Gordian ushers you all down the ramp and motions to follow him. "If you can ask and walk, do so, otherwise do not fall behind. The fortress tends to swallow those who wander unescorted." It might have been a joke but for the lack of humor in the Keeper's voice. "I will take you to the one you seek." The Keeper begins walking deeper into the fortress, and you have little choice but to follow him, unless you wish to remain in the hanger.

DrK
2014-08-07, 05:38 PM
Passing near the ossuray the librarian halts. The whispers at the walls around his mind a mixture of fear and chaos but... The Watch Captain had said to be wary and the hallowed echoing halls of the Ossuary may have seen many things.
Lowering his mental defences slightly he reaches out...

Focus WP test, fettered [roll0] TN 82

Toxic Mind
2014-08-07, 05:52 PM
A voice that was soft and soothing reaches out to the Librarian. "I know something of what you seek. Return, when you think there is no light left." The voice is gone almost as quickly within the roiling mass of anger and hate. Yet from this one, you sensed only peace. A mystery for another time, perhaps. The spirits of the dead were fickle at best, and to press one further could earn its ire with little gain.

ArcturusV
2014-08-07, 06:35 PM
On Board the Station

Jonah didn't have too much trouble keeping up. He was quite a tall man, for a human, with a long stride and above average speed. A few quick steps here and there to keep up with the pace of the Power Armored SPESS MEHREEN, but he didn't seem to be having too much trouble. It was an odd sort of grace and agility for someone who seemed like such a bruiser. His bare left arm exposed with his sleeve rolled up, revealing the twisted scar tissue of years past. His broken and burned face. His Ecclessiarchal robes more accustomed typically to lard butts who count their tithes than the missionaries who bring the light of the Emperor to battle.

"Seems simple enough. Place is Xenos," Jonah said, the first words he had uttered in the SPESS MEHREEN'S presence. His voice was soft with a slow drawling quality that made it easy to listen to. After all, logic, if this predated humanity, period, then it was not human made. Still there was a lack of accusation in his tone that someone might have expected out of the typical firebrand redemptionist thugging priest that he may have resembled. Merely a comment with the same tone he might have said towards stating a simple fact.

dupersudi
2014-08-07, 10:50 PM
"I see, so Watch-Keeper Gordian, how long has this sector been lost to the Emperor's light? I don't recall reading about it during my time at the Naval Academy." Avery maintains pace with the Astartes, almost jogging to do so. "I suppose that is possible, Father Cruz, I have heard of the Holy Ordos using Xenos technology."

DrK
2014-08-08, 03:57 PM
Astartes

The librarian pauses staring into the vaulted halls of the ossuary. Making a mental note he tries to work out which skeleton was the one that spoke before moving after the serf, disturbed slightly by the strength of mental message...

Seeing the towering Forge Master Maximillian walks over to the wall of weapons. He dare not pick up a force sword yet, the imperative to channel his will through the force blade would be strong and better to not take the risk. For the purposes of the training he resorts to simpler weapons. A simple mono-sword and combat shield should suffice...

For training just a mono sword and a combat shield will suffice.

Toxic Mind
2014-08-08, 05:47 PM
The Station

"The Missionary is right, in part. The Fortress itself was built while the Emperor still walked the stars, but it was built around an artefact, which had been waiting here since time immemorial. That artefact is irrefutably beyond human design or comprehension yet it sustains and aids us. Another mystery of Erinoch. As to your questions. The Jericho Reach was lost to the Imperium during the Age of Apostasy, yet the Deathwatch remained, the Long Watch being rather longer and more dangerous during that time. Records of that time are few, but we have endured, and with the coming of the Achilus Crusade, the sector stands one more within the Imperium's sight, if not within its control. You would not have heard of it in the Academy. The existence of this place is a rather closely guarded secret. You traveled here by unheard-of ways, ways we thought relegated only to those fallen to the Ruinous Powers. Part of which, I suspect, explains our Order's interest in you." The Marine leads them to a door, rather unimposing given its location. "The Tower of Brass, wherein lies the Inquisition, and where you will meet the Watch Commander, and I suspect others. You must save further questions for them."

The Keeper opens the door with a wave of his Clavis, bypassing the security altogether. He ushers them inside, whereupon they see another Space Marine, this time without a helmet. If Gordian was imposing, the aura of command radiating off this man was awe-inspiring. Next to him stands a woman wearing the garb of an Inquisitor of the Ordo Xenos. Simply the fact that she stands next to the man you can only assume to be the Watch Commander gives you an idea of her station. "Rogue Trader Abraham and crew. Come in and sit. Would you like some amasec?, its quite a fine bottle." the woman inquisitor speaks first, gesturing to chairs which have been prepared for you. A servant, for serf he could not be called, appears from the shadows with the mentioned bottle. The Inquisitor's voice is friendly and welcoming, like meeting old friends rather than an Explorer who was forced into compliance. You notice that Keeper Gordian takes a position near the door, now silent and grim.

Astartes

Maximillian thinks he might have been able to identify roughly the area of the voice, but with so many bones, further accuracy is impossible without detailed exploration.

The Forge Master looks at the choice. "Don't hold back now. I have permission to see you dead, and if you are unworthy of the armor you bear, you will be." Whatever the nature of the test, the Forge Master seems unconcerned that his own safety is in question.
Please give me a perception roll, just basic awareness

Tychris1
2014-08-08, 09:53 PM
Astartes

Thanator eyes the Forgemaster, creening his head ever so slightly. Throughout his life as an Angel of Death he had slain his traitorous kin, wading through them with the fury of the Emperor and the High Lords of Terra. If this was truly his challenge, then it would be no different then any battle he had been in before. Striding forward, Thanator grabbed a hold of a Power Axe and a Power Sword, swinging the heavy blades in tandem as he prepared himself for whatever the Forgemaster had in mind.

Perception Roll:[roll0]

TGFV
2014-08-08, 10:37 PM
Giving a nod towards the astartes and the Inquisitor, S'vril takes the offered seat and nods towards the servant. His voice comes out in a distorted rasp, as if there were more than one of his voice speaking at once, each one ever so slightly off tune to the others.

"My thanks. The last few hours have been.... stressful, to say the least."

He seems to be acting casual, if a little aloof towards the others in the room as he lowers the hood of his robe, baring his head as he looks out towards their 'hosts'.

"If you don't mind me asking, do you know what sector and segmentum we are located in? My adepts and novices are currently trying to locate us by the astronomicon but they are back aboard Master Avery's ship and I am here."

ArcturusV
2014-08-09, 12:54 AM
Jonah seemed somewhat proper, his manners a bit rough, his bow and Aquila not quite up to regal audience standards. But his robes, his body, and the markings on his clothing should have done a decent job to those with the knowledge of the Ecclesiarchy in explain it. A torchbearer who spent more time with Savages than in cultured Shrine Worlds and massive cathedrals. He was quite used a bit rougher sort of company than the current audience.

Still, he offered a polite smile and held up his left hand to signal that he didn't want the amasec, "But if you have some well brewed recaff, something lighter, I would love some," he took a seat giving the center position to the Lord-Captain himself, letting him sit between S'vril and Jonah. A twisted third eye mutant and an ugly lump of man. Quite an odd honor guard.

Toxic Mind
2014-08-09, 10:32 AM
The Tower of Brass

"Jericho Sector, Segmentum Ultima. If needed, our Navigators can show you the Astronomicon before you leave. But back to the matter at hand. What do you remember about your journey here. Take me through the events of the last few weeks." The Inquisitor is all buisness now, though the servant nods at Jonah's request, as if it was expected, and another servant brings forth the requested drink.

There are no wrong answers, so this is a chance to flush out your back story a bit.

The Astartes

You can hear the sound of claws on stone, coming from... below you? Yet the floor beneath you is solid and worked.

dupersudi
2014-08-09, 12:39 PM
"I will of course accept some fine Amasec, thank you for your gracious hospitality." He waits a moment for the servant to pour his glass and begins to partake. "The last few weeks were fairly uneventful. We were venturing into the Koronus expanse from Port Wander, we had intended to arrive at Footfall for any necessary repairs. Unfortunately we ran afoul of a warpstorm, that my Navigator claims appeared from nowhere. Prior to that, lets see, about three weeks ago I came to the conclusion that I would follow my Uncles footsteps as an adventurer, rather than the typical Merchant Rogue Traders past holders of my families warrant have been. I decided I wanted to go on adventures and put my naval training to good use. I appointed a trusted lieutenant to operate my families vast assets in my absence and prepared my Uncles old vessel, the Viresa Tergo Abraham. That is what I have been doing in the last few weeks, lots of paperwork, and then a bad trip through the warp."

ArcturusV
2014-08-09, 02:27 PM
Jonah Cruz - "Lets do the Time Warp Agaaaaaain."

Jonah smiled at the servant and gave him a nod of thanks as he took up the cup of recaff in both hands. There was a slight suggestion of what his early life might have been like as there was a measure of formality to how he delicately drank and savored it, rather than chug it down like the brutish thug he might have looked like.

He kept his eyes on the Lady Inquisitor, paying attention to her as the Lord-Captain spoke, occasionally drinking from his cup as the Lord-Captain spun a tale for the Inquisitor. He arched an eyebrow slightly at one part of the tale and had a skeptical look on his face.

"Fascinating... but it does not link up with my memory, Lord-Captain," Jonah pointed out when he finished, setting down the cup of Recaff carefully on the table. He pressed his hands together, leaning forward so his elbows rested on his knees, looking first at the Lord-Captain, then at the Inquisitor Lady, then back to the Lord-Captain again.

"I was with the Missionarus Galaxia. I had worked my way through the Expanse for years, tending to the lost souls of humanity who have been without the Emperor's Guidance for far too long. On Separis Prime I went through a war for the souls of men against one of the deluded followers of Chaos. A long battle but in his name we triumphed. As per the usual protocol I set the beacon to inform my masters in the Ecclessiarchy that this world was ready for integration into the faith and the Imperium, the ground work set up."

"That was about 2 months ago. Hard to keep track of the time with all the void travel, you know how it is, right, lack of sun rise and sun set, warp travel and all that? Anyway, I've been on the ship since then. I tend to the souls of the crew, advise the Lord-Captain on matters of Faith, lead a few purges of unruly underdeck mutants, as sadly happens of course, always a shame when pure men fall to corruption. It has been routine and I've lacked a true trial since Separis Prime," there was a way he said that which suggested both that he looked on that world and event with a measure of pride for what was accomplished, and a hint of trauma still over what he had to endure there. The real reason that he hasn't been quick to pressure the Lord-Captain into carrying on his Missionary Work, exploring worlds and converting the heathens with words, fists, or flame as needed. He needed these quiet past few weeks, to tend to souls, remind and refocus himself on what he was supposed to be doing and get his center back.

After all, he was only a man.

Toxic Mind
2014-08-09, 05:02 PM
The Tower of Brass

At the Missionary's words, the Inquisitor looks at the Space Marine. It is a look full of knowing, and lacking entirely of confusion that would normally be present. Whatever she knows, this Inquisitor seems entirely unworried about the two stories not matching up. "Let me tell you a story. Two months ago, long range augur arrays picked up an oddity near the Hadex Anomaly, a massive Warp Storm. A ship, a frigate, making its way out of the Anomaly under its own power. More troubling, however, it appeared to be making a series of short, predictable warp jumps, leading it towards the Erinoch system. The ship was hailed, but it was silent, no response received. It was not until just earlier today that we received a response from that ship, just before we would have been forced to destroy it. You claim to have departed only yesterday from the Calixis Sector, yet we have been following your ship for two months. You understand my skepticism." None of you have ANY memory of this. As far as you are concerned, your story is the only one that's true.

Now the Space Marine speaks. "The only reason you are all alive is that the Deathwatch owes a great debt to the Abraham dynasty. You were brought here to ascertain your usefulness to us. Many voices urged for your destruction in spite of this debt, but I am not a man to take such matters lightly. So here you stand. Not corrupted, or you would never have made it to this room, yet clearly influenced by the warp." The thin veneer of civility fades from him as he looks down at you, as if staring into your souls. This man holds your life in his hands, even here.

ArcturusV
2014-08-09, 05:45 PM
Jonah Cruz in... The Plot Hook Discovery!

Two months. Those words rattled around in Jonah's mind, and it was hard for him to hide the fact that it rattled him to hear that. It didn't make sense to him. But it also wasn't the first time that something along those lines had happened to him. Missing time, vast changes in his reality. Getting taken from his home before he even knew what was happened and tossed aside like so much refuse across the galaxy... oh, he had been there.

Did this Inquisitor Lady know or suspect something about it? He wondered a bit too late to hide the paleness that came to his face and the slight shiver that passed through his body that it might have been a ruse just to get a reaction out of him and discover some hidden heresy.

"If what you say is true, it is clearly the providence of the Emperor," Jonah said softly as he composed himself, "Bringing us to his Angels and breaking whatever... event... was happening to us as we safely arrived here." There was still of course the hint of doubt in his voice at the events as she relayed it to them. It didn't play up with his memory of events at all. None of these stories made sense. Hadex Anomaly? Calixis Sector? He had been in the Expanse for YEARS, since he washed up on Footfall.

He turned to look over his shoulder towards the SPESS MEHREEN now that he had spoken up, a frown still on his face, "Well Sir.... SPESS MEHREEN... sorry, never caught your name. Or the lady's for that matter," Jonah frown a bit and shrugged it off, "I've proven my purity many times, and the strength of the Emperor flowing through my spirit. One more won't hurt. Maybe you should arrange for one of the doubting SPESS MEHREENS to see the truth of my purity for themselves. Like I've done on countless worlds. Two men enter the arena. No weapons, no armor, beyond their faith and convictions. I'm sure your fellows would see the truth then, no matter the result." Jonah seemed... oddly confident at the idea of taking on a SPESS MEHREEN. Maybe because he thought this might all be a trick and they weren't really SPESS MEHREENS... or maybe because he had an ace up his sleeve. Probably his right one as his left was still rolled up to his shoulder. Or maybe he was just too used to dealing with the feral tribesmen of worlds who needed to see strength of arms to understand the strength of the Emperor. "Then once we find out the truth of the situation, then perhaps we can move forward without that shadow cast over us." He gave a little smile, not a cocky one, just an easy grin that belonged more on the face of some noble relaxing on a Paradise World than a man suspected of Heresy in the heart of a fortress full of heavily armed musclebound stunted adolescents on a hair trigger.

Toxic Mind
2014-08-09, 09:01 PM
The Tower of Brass

"If we believed you to be tainted, you would already be dead. Your faith, Jonah, is in no question. The vagaries of the Warp are known to us, and somehow, you have come away unharmed. The Emperor smiles on you. Yet you have seen our Fortress. Protocol demands that you die to preserve our secret, or that you never again leave this place. But such a fate is not for you. Instead you will serve us, and in return, you will be free to forge your own destiny in this new sector, to make your own fortune." The Watch Commander was not a man to mince words, and while the Inquisitor seemed shocked that he would lay out the facts so bluntly, he seemed not in the least bit bothered by it. There was no quarter in his voice. The words he spoke were simply facts now.

dupersudi
2014-08-09, 09:28 PM
"Fortunes you say? What such opportunities lie in this sector? And what would you require of us noble Astartes? My crew and I, we are of course yours to command, but we possess no knowledge of this region of space."

Arutha
2014-08-09, 10:04 PM
For the first time since leaving the ship, Rhobahr spoke.Fortune is all well and good, but I have real scars to go with these missing memories, and... People I have met. And my knife, I found a month and a half ago. After fighting xenos under the captains cousin, it was. And that lasted time enough. By my reckoning, I would have been plucked out of a ground war. How... he stops, considering and appealing to wise minds to explain.

ArcturusV
2014-08-09, 10:37 PM
Jonah Cruz

"I serve the Emperor, always have, always will," he smiled at the SPESS MEHREEN. He seemed a little less tense now that it at least didn't seem to immediately go to Pistols/swords at 10 paces right away to prove something to the warrior or about the Lord Captain and his crew. He got up, picking up his recaff in his right hand, and walked towards the Lord-Captain, putting his large left hand on Captain's left shoulder as Abraham addressed the rather large warrior who still hadn't introduced himself. "Call if you need me, but I'll leave the finer points of negotiation to you," he offered with a smile, and went around the table to get a closer seat to the Inquisitor.

He settled down and took a sip, giving a moment for his presence to sink in there, keeping his eyes on the Inquisitor. "It sounds like this station hasn't seen visitors in a long time, if everyone who arrives is either killed or detained," he offered, sounding perfectly polite and chatty, like two old acquaintances gossiping over Recaff. "It must have been a long time since you've properly had your soul tended to by one who bears the light of the Emperor. Do you require any confession, benedictions, or blessings?" It seemed an odd question to ask perhaps. But he gave the line with sincerity and calmness. He had heard that the SPESS MEHREENS did not revere the God-Emperor as all men should (HERETICS!). He doubted they truly had a Priest here, and while SPESS MEHREENS would be perfectly happy with their Heresy, a true member of the Imperium, such as an Inquisitor, one who might have Seen Things and such, could use the comfort and tending to the soul of a proper priest.

DrK
2014-08-10, 12:56 AM
Glancing at the floor with an expression of slight concern Maximilian nods to the forge master, As you say. Before changing to force sword and storm shield. Crackling lightning playing around both. Looking to his Minotaur companion he nods, I stand ready. Begin.

Toxic Mind
2014-08-10, 04:10 PM
The Tower of Brass

Oddly enough, it is the Inquisitor who replies, not the Commander. "This sector of space is wracked by war, but opportunities present themselves for those who know where to look. Whatever you choose to pursue, the Jericho Reach can offer it. As for your task, the Watch Commander and I have discussed this matter. We believe it would be best to have a semi-permanent detail of Deathwatch Marines assigned to your ship. They will travel with you, and you will assist them in their missions, and they will assist you in your endeavors. A mutually beneficial agreement, to reflect the respect and deference both our organizations should have for each other. As to your memories... When we examined your ship we found that all your chronos, and anything that might indicate the passage of time, were four months late. For all intents, we believe that you were stuck in some kind of localized stasis field on-board the ship. Beyond that, we do not know. If you would like, an astropath or a Librarian can be made available to sift through your memories, though I understand if you find wariness to such things." The Inquisitor sits back down, and directly addresses Jonah. "Your offer is appreciated, but the Chaplains of the Deathwatch serve me well enough. I am less active then I once was, and most of my time is spent here, directing the Inquisition within the Reach. Though rest assured that I will keep your offer in mind."

The Watch Commander, meanwhile, speaks again. "Rogue Trader Abraham. Do you accept these terms? You will have access to our library, so that your officers may familiarize themselves with this sector. In addition, we may be able to direct you towards planets that would serve both our purposes, if we knew what those interests were?"

The Trial of the Forge

The Forge Master simply nods once, a signal to someone unseen, and the floor beneath your feet drops. The fall is not long, hardly enough to inconvenience you, armored as you are. However, what lies below is much worse. The cavern that you have fallen into consists of metal hallways, obviously recreated to look like the interior of a space hulk. You can hear the sounds of chitinous claws moving across the metal all around you, though whether this is indicative of the number of foes, or simply echoes to disguise the true nature of the threat is unknown. Above you, the rock seals shut. Whatever the outcome, if you fail the Forge Master clearly is unwilling to put the station at risk. The passage ahead is torn apart, holes dotting the floor and the ceiling, possibly from some imagined calamity. Behind is more stable, but some air ducts run along the ceiling.

What do you do?

dupersudi
2014-08-10, 06:50 PM
"I seek to test my mettle against the Imperium's foes. I seek to expand the Imperium and make my House and name known throughout the Galaxy. I seek not fortune, my family already possessed this. I believe it is not an end in itself, merely a means. If this sector was lost to the Imperium, then it must now be reclaimed." He drinks some more Amasec. "How many Astartes would be aboard my ship? And whom would command whom? The latter is the only caveat I have, while aboard my ship, I intend to not be second guessed or have my orders countermanded. More details can be worked out after I and my staff have looked over information about this sector. Though liberating the Emperor's people is certainly a priority."

Toxic Mind
2014-08-10, 08:08 PM
The Tower of Brass

The Watch Commander grins, an almost feral expression. "You will find plenty of the Emperor's foes in this sector. The Achilus Crusade fights on three fronts against Tyranid, Tau, and Heretic, enduring countless threats from Orks and other xenos filth as well. Two Battle Brother will be stationed aboard your ship. They will receive their orders from me, and given the nature of their mission, act accordingly. If great haste is required, your concerns may be put on hold, but I suspect most of their missions will coincide with your own desires. When they are not actively on assignment, they will assist you as need be. Naturally, aboard your ship you are in command, though I would give them your ear, as they are both veterans of countless wars. You will command your people, and they will be responsible for themselves. If you earn their trust and loyalty, they will be a valuable asset to your dynasty."

dupersudi
2014-08-11, 12:45 AM
"This sounds like a magnificent arrangement Lord Gordian. I will of course value any advice such noble warriors of the Imperium have to give. At what point will I meet with your men? And can your tech adepts transfer basic information about the sector to my ship?" He pauses for another sip of amasec. "The sooner we can depart the better. The Emperor's foes don't die quickly enough on their own."

Toxic Mind
2014-08-11, 08:46 AM
The Tower of Brass

"Actually you can meet them now. I would not ask a member of such an honored dynasty to simply take my word. They will prove you their worth." The Inquisitor whispers worriedly "is this really necessary?" but the Watch Commander ignores her comment. "Keeper Gordian will take you there now. He will stay with you, to ensure that you are in no harm at any time."

With that, the meeting is done. It was only after leaving that you realized that at no point did either the Commander or the Inquisitor introduce themselves. Given the secrecy of the place, and the Inquisition as a whole, it was not altogether unsurprising though. Keeper Gordian leads you away from the Tower, deeper into the fortress. You pass a massive hall filled with bones, and eventually reach a large blast door, clearly designed to hold back anything from small arms to a battle cruiser. Gordian raises his Clavis and the door slides open silently, the lack of sound belying its hefty bulk. As you walk through the crack in the doors, you notice that the door itself is about as thick as the armor on the Viresa. When you reach the other side, you look around. You are in a large room which appears to be designed like a spaceship. The door behind you slides shut with finality.

Gordian now turns to you all, his vox little more than a whisper. "We are in the training grounds now. The two Astartes who will be traveling with you are here as well. Be warned. The training grounds are very real, and very deadly. I will remain here to ensure that you are protected, but..." It becomes clear that Gordian is unhappy that you have been placed in this situation. "If something goes wrong, you should be able to defend yourselves." Gordian pulls a flamer from his side, and hands it to the Jonah. His bolt pistol goes to Rhobahr, and his Astartes combat knife, large as a short sword, goes to the Captain. He keeps his massive glaive for himself, as none of you could even hope to wield it effectively. The navigator is apparently left to use his own abilities.

What do you do?

TGFV
2014-08-11, 09:25 AM
With a slight sigh, S'vril finishes his Amasec. It was such a fine vintage to finish in a quick swallow, but oh well. As it was he had enough to deal with. He should have known about the emergence and re-entry into the warp multiple times, he had been through enough warp anomalies in his time to have discerned wether he was passing through the warp or an area of the warp bleeding through into reality. And now a test.... atleast it couldn't get any worse.

"What are the Astartes we are going to be meeting training agaisnt, if you may ask? Since this seems to be a live training scenario." He askes the watch commander in his multi-tonal voice while lowering his hood incase of necessity.

Toxic Mind
2014-08-11, 09:35 AM
The Tower/The Grounds

The Commander only answers one word as you leave, but even that is enough to chill you to the bone. "Tyranids"

dupersudi
2014-08-11, 09:51 AM
"Very well Lord Modrigael, my crew and I will go meet them." He notes the inquisitors concern, and is worried by whatever could scare an agent of the Imperial Inquisition.

Avery turns extremely pale at the mention of Tyranids but otherwise maintains his composure. "I see, well, thank you for the weapons. We should move quickly though, the sooner we find them, the better. Safety in numbers and all that. Can you raise them on your vox Lord Gordian? He hefts his new weapon, giving it a few swings to test it's weight and balance. He mutters quietly to himself, "Wish I had my beasties."

Toxic Mind
2014-08-11, 12:09 PM
The Training Grounds - The Crew

"Moving into the passageways themselves may be unwise. This position is easily defensible. Vox channels will be down for this exercise unless specific order is relayed. I suspect that they now know of our presence. The choice is yours, however. If you wish to venture in, I will accompany you." Gordian's voice has little emotion one way or another, and no emotion colors his opinion, at least none you can tell.

The Training Grounds - Astartes

A voice crackles over the vox. "Welcome to your test. Valuable cargo has been marked on your nav. Mission priority is protection of valuable cargo and elimination of Xenos presence. Vox range is limited to 30m for this mission." The Forge Master's voice crackles off the vox, and four waypoint markers begin blinking, indicating the direction of the cargo. The fastest path leads down the scarred hallway, though you suspect that the other hallway may also lead that way.

dupersudi
2014-08-11, 01:28 PM
"Very well, if you would advise staying here we shall do so. Svris, you stay in the rear and use your gifts to support us, Jonah, Robhar, take up firing positions with clear lines of sight through that portal. Lord Gordian, you and I will be the Vanguard should any hostiles come and make it through their fire and bolter." He sighs heavily. "I only wish I had my Beasts with me."

ArcturusV
2014-08-11, 03:42 PM
'nyds and SPESS MEHREENS

Jonah took the offered Flamer quietly. It wasn't a weapon he normally used, but he was trained in it. Fire was always a tool of the wandering priest, just the lack of promethium on most of the savage worlds he went to meant it wasn't part of his standard kit.

Still, he worked in silent competence, giving it a quick field check after the SPESS MEHREEN handed it to him, making sure the proper machine spirit appeasements were uttered, the rituals of Ignition and Firing prepared properly, until he felt the flamer leap to life, ready to dispense the Emperor's Fury.

He took a position near what little cover existed, he was a man of faith, but he was a Warrior of Faith, and knew the old parable "The Emperor Protects... but he protects me better in Carapace Armor". His Flamer was shoulder and held in a comfortable position, pressed against his left shoulder, pointed down at the moment but easily swung up as needed.

He had no armor, only one short ranged weapon, though a hell of a weapon it was, and he seemed quite confident, be it foolish bravado or the bearing of his Faith. Perhaps the latter as he was being competent rather than cocksure. But it seemed like it was a simple holdout, standfast while the Cavalry came to get them.

"... just like Separis Prime..." he muttered and gave a smile.

DrK
2014-08-11, 04:05 PM
Astartes

The librarian looks at the Minotaur beside him. "The direct route? Waypoint to waypoint? If you take point I can provide ranged support. You were an assault specialist?" Taking the acceptance as granted he begins to stride purposefully forwards weapons ready, the auto senses in the helmet easily penetrating the darkness as natural and psychic senses seek to penetrate the darkness surrounding them.

Awareness [roll0] TN 58
Warp sense [roll1] TN 53

Tychris1
2014-08-11, 04:16 PM
Hiding was for cowards and traitors, grinding his Power Axe against his Sword, the Minotaur strode forward with aggressive purpose. Headed towards the torn and holey passage in front of him, Thanator hadn't even bothered to turn his head to answer the question, far too intent on the area in front of him. "Yes, I am an Assault Specialist. We'll spearhead our way through these vile beasts and be done with it." And with that Thanator took point, holding his Axe out in front of him with his left hand and supporting it with his sword mere inches behind it.

Awareness:[roll0] vs TN 58

Toxic Mind
2014-08-11, 05:23 PM

You do not wait long. Drawn by heat, or scent, or perhaps even ushered in my whatever unseen hand controlled the environment, a swarm of creatures pours from the passage in front of you. Obviously xenos in origin, individually they would likely provide little threat. But together they form a seething mass of teeth and claws, a mass headed right for you, intent on devouring all in its path. Keeper Gordian moves to the front, his power glaive held ready. "Keep them away from you at all costs. They will rip through flesh and bone like nothing." As the creatures notice you, they seem to seethe and roil at the prospect of food, which in this case, is you.

Roll Initiative
[roll0]
[roll1]

Horde is Massive (+30) and 30m away.

The Training Grounds - Astartes

As you walk down the hallway, eyes and senses searching for any sign, you notice something moving in the ducts. It appears to be staying ahead of you, and as holes in the ceiling show its shadowy shape moving along, always just ahead of your progress. Tracking. Monitoring. Whether due to lack, or simply the situation, Maximillian cannot sense anything with his mind. You close the distance towards your targets quickly, despite your shadowy stalker, until you reach a room, which might have once been the mess hall in a space ship. The room opens up, and while your nav shows that you are 100m from your target, you must cross this room to continue. There are tables bolted to the floor in various states of decay. Shadows cling to the walls and in the dim light of your auto-senses, you can see, and practically feel, movement around you.

ArcturusV
2014-08-11, 06:37 PM
Jonah Cruz

He brought up his flamer, business end pointed towards the enemy, holding his fire until they got into range, ready to bathe the area in sacred promethium. No hiding, they knew they were there already. He seemed to practically be quivering with a holy fervor for battle seeing the Xenos appear in his sights. His first Tyranids, but nothing but righteous contempt for the impure in his heart and those of his allies!

"In the name of the God-Emperor, we stand and fight!" he shouted out as a defiant battle-cry, empowering his faith and channeling the favor of the Emperor upon this battle.

Initiative is at 8.
Uses a half action move, if necessary, to be able to flamer the horde in such a way not to incinerate the Captain, and the SPESS MEHREEN.
Using a Standard Attack Action. I don't technically have to state a contingency for it, but it's the Horde getting into range of the Flamer.
Flame Rules against Hordes:
Hits 1/4th times rounding up (20m range on a Flamer so 5 hits) + [roll0] times.
5/6 shots in clip.

Using "The Emperor Protects". I spend a Fate Point, myself and 4 (My WP Bonus) Allies gain Immunity to Fear and Pinning, additionally Weapon Skill and Ballistics Skill Tests against them are at -10. So coincidentally all the RT guys and the SPESS MEHREEN are protected by the EMPRAH and my faith. :smallbiggrin:

And people don't like Missionaries.

dupersudi
2014-08-11, 07:12 PM
"Let your aim strike down the Emperor's foes Rhobahr, Emperor knows that is what I pay you for!"

"Gordian I will move to their flank to aid our strikes should it come to that."

Rhobahr gets a +10 to BS from the RT special ability.
[roll0]

Arutha
2014-08-11, 09:00 PM
emperor dammed xeno scum
Rhobair takes aim and shoots

Aim half
Shot semi auto half
[roll0] roll under 92
[roll1] + 5
[roll2] + 5

DrK
2014-08-11, 11:14 PM
Maximilian grunts at the large empty room feeling the presence of "something". We are being stalked. Letbus spring thus trap and kill it". Favouring the most direct approach he strides forward kicking ruined things out the way and generally making some noise, all the while the subtle crackling of the storm shield following him.

March forwards senses alert
[roll0] TN 58
Int [roll1]

TGFV
2014-08-11, 11:35 PM
Whatever you do, please try not to look back behind yourselves at me. It may not be the best for your health or sanity...

S'vril warns his fellow crewmen and the Astartes infront of him as he opens his third eye and prepares to stare down the oncoming Tyranid horde.

White and red light roll out of the center of his third eye coming out as if a cloud swirling about until it is a few feet from him. As if somehow aware and seeing the swarm of Xenos the "light" rushes towards the alien filth as Svril roars at them "feel the power of the Astronomicon!"

dupersudi
2014-08-12, 10:04 AM
"Plasma take you XENOS!" Avery screams at he unleashes two blasts from his plasma pistol into the rushing horde. His sword in his left hand, his pistol in the right and the combat knife affixed to his back.

Toxic Mind
2014-08-12, 04:48 PM
The Training Room - The Crew

Attacks slam into the Ripper Swarm even as it moves forward. Of the most damaging is the Warp-Powers leveled by the Navigator, which twist and rend a great swathe of the xenos into a bloody pulp. Yet the Horde itself moves implacably onward towards you, the gaps in its numbers already filling with more of the slavering beasts. Soon enough, they will be upon your position, and if the sounds they make are any indication, your brief success has only made them angrier.

Magnitude Remaining: 31/49
Size (Massive) [+30]
Distance: 15m

Apothecary Gordian moves towards the swarm, but then, impossibly, horribly, his head jerks up and he looks at the ceiling above the swarm. He dives, throwing himself in front of Jonah just as a storm of barbed hooks thunk into the Space Marine's armor, hooks that, had he been any slower, might have torn the brave missionary apart. Yet these are no detached spines, but flesh hooks, shot from a Lictor that was lurking above the battle. Jonah stares at the Space Marine for a moment that seems to stretch into eternity as the man looks down at him. "Find my brothers" he says as the hooks jerk him backwards towards the Tyranid creature. Ceasing to fight the tension, Gordian flies towards the Lictor with a furious cry and the two disappear into the ducts above you. Just as quickly as he had been there, the Space Marine was gone, leaving you to face down the swarm of creatures alone.

The Training Room - The Astartes

The noise accomplishes its purpose, though perhaps not to the pleasure of the two Astartes. As Maximilian kicks over a table, the aging and rusted bolts giving way to his armored strength, he notices too late the hole beneath the table, and the creature within it. The Tyranid Ravener bursts from the floor in a savage display, its claws rending across Maximilian's armor, leaving terrible gashes along his Leg, the closest piece of the Space Marine that the creature could attack. Yet before the creature can once again retreat, Maximilian grabs it and bodily throws it away form its bolt-hole. The creature leaps to its feat, hissing menacingly.

Damage: 3x - 26,31,31 (Before Reduction by TB/Armor)
You may dodge/parry as normal.

The Ravener is 5m away because of the throw
It is Fear (3) so make any appropriate Tests

Order is Ravener, Maximilian

Need Initiative Roll from Thanator, will wait on this before posting.
Damage:

dupersudi
2014-08-12, 04:59 PM
Avery screams "DAMN YOU FILTH!" and fires another salvo of plasma bolts at the horde.

[roll0] TN 104
Rolls cause I want to
[roll1]
[roll2]
8 DoS and a Righteous fury....

Arutha
2014-08-12, 06:07 PM
Fraking xenos

Free:Drop astartes bolt pistol
Free: draw my bolt pistols
Half: aim
Half: multi shot semi auto
[roll0] under 92
[roll1]+5
[roll2]+5
[roll3]+5
[roll4]+5

Toughness counts once, two extra magnatude loss on hit.

TGFV
2014-08-12, 10:58 PM
"Huh... Well that was truly unexpected...."

Spitting out a mouthfull of blood and seeing the Astartes get ripped into the ceiling, the incoming horde seems actually menacing, even with the vast swathe of them that the warp had rendered into ichor and gibblets. Hoping he is acting quick enough, he quickly opens his eye up quickly, allowing an unobstructed view into the warp itself for the horde to gaze into as the Tyranids bear down on him and his companions.

ArcturusV
2014-08-13, 02:06 AM
Jonah Cruz

Maybe it was the fury of the battle, or the oddly surprising sacrifice play the SPESS MEHREEN had made for him. Still, Jonah stayed to his cover with the Flamer in his hands, warmed up and dispensing the wrath of the righteous. He seemed in a good mood... oddly. Outnumbered, the SPESS MEHREEN who was there to chaperone them off dragged into the darkness. Warp Power driving people mad and liquifying people, the burning xenos, bolter shots ringing out, etc.

And Jonah was singing the whole time, not well, but it was loud and proud as he fought:

"We must hold them on the line, they must not advance, so if you would be legends boys, this is your chance!"

As he shot out another devastating gout of promethium and death into the mass of Xenos to try to keep it at bay.

Half Action, Single Shot with the Flamer, because that's what it does.
Horde Damage: 5 + [roll0] Magnitude Damage.
4/6 rounds in the "clip"... canister... thing. :smallbiggrin:
And just an untrained Perform (Singer) test, because fluffery, not like I'm using it to inspire against fear, the EMPRAH already makes us fearless.
Untrained Fellowship means I got a TN of 27: [roll1]

Tychris1
2014-08-13, 04:55 AM
Thanator's axe rose to meet the challenge of the deadly ravener as it tussled with Maximilian. Rushing forward, the raging minotaur began to swing his axe around wildly before lunging and slamming his weapon down with all the force he could muster, and shouting.

"GRAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

[roll0] vs 97 TN
Damage:[roll1]

Toxic Mind
2014-08-13, 05:54 PM

Once again the powerful and unrelenting fire takes its toll on the mass of tyranid rippers. Bursts of holy promethium and plasma fire rake across the xenos, leaving only ashes in their wake. Bolter shells slam mercilessly into the mass, their detonations spraying gore and viscera across the durasteel. Yet it seemed still that the horde, diminished though it was, would reach you until the Navigator cracked open the fabric of reality, and a piece of the Immaterium faded into your world, the mere sight enough to scar any creature. And the Rippers were no exception. Had they been guided by a synapse creature, they might have ignored such an attempt, but without such guidance, they simply stared, frozen in whatever passed for horror amongst their race.
Tyranid Rippers have been known to Metamorph into higher order Tyranid beasts given enough time. Given Gordian's surprise at the presence of the Lictor, you suspect that this may be occurring somewhere within the Grounds.

Magnitude: 9
Condition: Stunned

The Training Grounds - The Astartes

Thanator's charge is vicious, but the Ravener is prepared. Bony plates of armor shift and impossibly, the Ravener seems to move around Thanator's attack, the power axe missing by mere inches. The Ravener returns the favor with the same ferocity that it showed Maximilian, vicious talons lashing out, striking the Assault Marine with a bestial fury. [Damage in OOC] Yet for all it may have seemed like a mindless beast, the Ravener was clearly more aware, for even as Maximilian roared in to strike the beast's unprotected flank, it disengaged from the Minotaur, lithely avoiding the Force Blade's strikes.

dupersudi
2014-08-13, 06:44 PM
Avery bellows "FINISH THEM MEN!" before rushing the horde with his powersword. He swings wildly and even lets off a shot from his Plasma pistol into its midst.

So going for lightning attack with powersword, and a single shot from my plasma pistol, which will put me at 5 shots left in the magazine/power doohickey.
First the melee each hit deals 2 magnitude damage what with power fields
[roll0] TN 98 if still massive sized
[roll1] TN 98 if still massive sized
[roll2] TN 98 if still massive sized
Plasma pistol time
[roll3] TN 94 if still massive sized

DrK
2014-08-14, 12:54 AM
Astartes

Maximillian curses as he leaks blood onto the decks, even more so as he sees his companion doing the same. Leaping forward he swings with a single mighty blow, all his hate pouring into it!

1 fate = killing strike no dodge or parry
All out attack/charge [roll0] TN 96
Damage [roll1] PEN 5
Focus Test [roll2] TN 92 Vs ravener [roll3] TN ??
-- For each DoS take a D10 ignoring TB [roll4] (d10s as required)

EDIT: How did he get 3 hits from 1 attack roll? Is Deathwatch not lightning attack is 3 normal rolled attacks? I know black crusade has lightning attack as a "full auto" attack but even that would have been 2 hits from that result?

Arutha
2014-08-15, 01:53 AM
Ah, so these beasts do know fear, all the better.

Half action aim
Half action shoot
[roll0]
[roll1] +5
[roll2] +5
[roll3] +5
[roll4] +5
Two extra magnatude loss. Although it looks like it might actually be four. I won't matter at this point.

ArcturusV
2014-08-15, 04:07 AM
Jonah Cruz

Jonah ducked back more fully behind what cover he had, seeing the Captain and the gunner working to polish off the last of the little wormy crawly xenos things. They seemed to have the things well in hand and nearly routed. So instead of wasting a shot of the precious promethium on something soon sent to the Emperor's Crematorius in the Heavens, he swept his eyes down towards where their "Chaperone" went off. Frankly he expected to see him crawling back all covered in Xenos goop muttering about how someone was a cheeky bastard and Jonah owed him one or something.

Not much to say here, hugging cover and throwing an Awareness Test to get eyes back on the Apothecary Here!
Awareness: [roll0] vs a total of 36 (Perception stat, trained but not doubled up on my training or anything).

Tychris1
2014-08-15, 02:20 PM
Astartes

Blades in each hand, Thanator swept one of the foul Xenos' blades away with a deft stroke of his blade, but soon stumbled back as the creatures assault continued. It's blades clattered against his armor, glancing his frame but only just so. Taking a second to realize how close to a fatal wound he was, Thanator redoubled his efforts, bellowing a guttural roar of ferocity as his armored body transformed into a whirlwind of crackling power and flashing steel, sword darting in and out before ceasing. Like the lightning that comes after thunder, Thanator's mighty axe fell down to finish the deed his sword had begun.

Lightning Attack Power Sword:[roll0] vs 57
Damage:[roll1] Pen 6
Damage:[roll2] Pen 6
Damage:[roll3] Pen 6

Standard Axe Attack:[roll4] vs 57
Damage:[roll5] Pen 6

Toxic Mind
2014-08-15, 03:20 PM

It could at least be said for the Tyranids that they did not shy from death. They fed themselves willingly into the meat grinder, a primal kill or be kill instinct driving them. Yet it was not their claws that wee victorious that day. Before the might of those faithful to the Emperor, they held no purchase. To the last, they were wiped out in hails of plasma and bolter fire, and powerful swings of the blade.

The hall is suddenly quiet as the last screams of dying Rippers fade into nothingness. Of the Keeper, there is no sign. The hallway looms before you. It leads in the same direction as the ventilation shaft might, but you cannot know for sure.

What do you do?

The Training Ground - The Astartes

The Ravener is a cunning beast, and despite Thanator's fury, most of his strikes found naught but air. Yet the Emperor is merciful, and watches over his sons. For one strike found not air, but the talon of the Ravener, attempting to turn it aside. The beast was unprepared for the power field, and screamed in rage as one of its claws was shorn through by the power blade, spraying the area with blood and other fluids. In that instant, Thanator lashes out with his axe, landing a mighty blow on the Ravener, crushing and rending through its hide and tearing a great chunk of flesh out.

In a blood fueled rage, the Ravener lashes out at the nearest thing, which happens to be the Librarian, sword raised to strike down. The Ravener, no less dangerous for its injuries, howls with fury as it attempts to cut the Space Marine down.

Claws find purchase in old scars in the Librarians armor and rend a massive gash, cutting through armor and into flesh. But it is too late that the Ravener realizes that it has overextended. With only one functioning talon, now buried in the Librarian's shoulder, it has left itself wide open, a chance the Librarian does not miss. Force blade crackling with the energy of his mind, Maximilian brings the blade up in one swift motion, turning his parry of the first blow into a vicious slash, in one stroke taking the Tyranid's head clean off. The truncated body falls to the floor, blood and ichor oozing from its severed neck. It looks like you have your first skeleton to add to the Ossuary, if you choose.

With the Ravener defeated, the path to your contact re-opens. The signals were stoically set, but are now milling around slightly. What do you do?

ArcturusV
2014-08-15, 04:44 PM
Jonah Cruz

He walked out from his cover, now that the swarm was boltered to hell and back, and power sworded into oblivion, a few of them still cooking in promethium, the oversized SPESS MEHREEN Flamer still in his hands. Jonah seemed pretty comfortable as he strolled forward, no armor but Faith in the Emperor, no weapon but the holy flames of the SPESS MEHREEN, and his own body. He drew up closer to the Lord-Captain, "Seems our watcher got taken," Jonah said, spitting at one of the bloated flaming corpses of the Rippers, sending out a sharp little sizzle as the stream of spittle vaporized on the flames.

He looked out over the rest of them, seemingly unharmed, the Emperor's guidance was powerful indeed today... unless you were an Apothecary. He didn't recognize the Apothecary as "Saving" him. Not because he was fatalistic. Just because he figured if something dragged him off into a shaft he'd go kick it in the face until said face exploded. It was just how he handled issues like that in life and he had no reason to doubt it would work. Ignorance, blissful, wise ignorance.

"I say we run down that fat one that took him, burn it down, and go drag Gordian's carcass back, they probably want it. Sound good Captain?" Jonah at least, seemed to be setting down groundwork for that plan as he started to circle the area, looking for trail markings, signs of regular passage, etc, that might suggest where the Xenos came from, and what direction they might make whatever lair they dragged the Apothecary off to.

Throwing a Tracking Test to find the trail of our good Apothecary and the Xenos that tore off with him.
Tracking: [roll0] vs 33 Int, +10 Training for a 43 before conditional modifiers.
I have Survival Master which lets me re-roll a failed Survival, Tracking, or Wrangling Test, so in case I failed: [roll1] vs the same 43.

Toxic Mind
2014-08-15, 05:59 PM
Tracking the Beast

Normally the trail to follow a Lictor would be hidden beyond the abilities of almost any who had not lived in a particular area their entire life. And even despite the circumstances, Jonah had a difficult time spotting the faint signs of the Lictor. Yet once he found it, the signs became more and more obvious as it became clear that Gordian, wherever he was now, had not gone quietly. The ventilation shaft was wide enough for even a space marine, provided he was bent double, or in this case dragged, and while it split quickly into two separate paths, Jonah could smell the coppery tang of blood down one. A more thorough investigation showed signs of struggle, with Tyranid blood mixed with the Space Marine's. You think you can follow the trail, if you want.

Barely Passed on the Re-roll, and only because you saw where he got dragged, which made it (+30)

dupersudi
2014-08-15, 07:04 PM
"Did you see where that thing went Jonah?"

ArcturusV
2014-08-15, 07:41 PM
Jonah Cruz and the hunt for the Red October

Jonah nodded in answer to the Captain, "Yeah. Seems that guy is something of a scrapper. Must have dinged up the creature before getting dragged off, see, right there?" he pointed out to the combination of SPESS MEHREEN and Xenos blood marking a faint trail through the ducts, and showing where they branched off.

"I don't know if those things are necessarily heading back to some sort of nest to digest the guy, or what. But it clearly has something in mind for him." Jonah gave an unconscious shudder that was noticeable if only because of his bare arm, his robes doing a decent job of being poofy and fancy enough to hide the rest of it.

Throwin' a Forbidden Lore (Xenos) Test, any information I may have had about that particular strain of Xenos, what it might do to a captive, etc.
Forbidden Lore (Xenos): [roll0] vs a 33 Int, and Trained, no other modifiers.

TGFV
2014-08-16, 04:26 PM
Leaning on his staff, the navigator looks over the scene.

"He also mentioned finding the other marines... Perhaps we should look for them aswell? The Lictors existence seemed a shock to the Astartes, and as these little 'creatures' can evolve over time with the proper conditions, it stands to reason that more of these may have done so. Having some Astartes meat to shield us may stand to benefit us in finding our way out, surviving and bringing the corpse back to his brothers."

For actions doing Psynscience and awareness, both free actions.
Psyniscience: [roll0] VS 88 (perception 60+20)
Awareness: [roll1] VS 88 (perception 60+20)

Toxic Mind
2014-08-16, 04:54 PM
While Jonah cannot seem to identify any more information on the Tyranid beast, The Navigator can sense a pulse of psychic energy down one of the tunnels. In addition, he can sense another pulse 100m's in the opposite direction, which seems to be much stronger, and less alien. There appears to be another psyker in the Training Grounds, though his identity is not clear. as for the beats, you assume it is the closer of the two, and the weaker as well.

TGFV
2014-08-16, 05:16 PM
Looking around, S'vril addresses Avery.

"M'lord, there seems to be an alien Psychic presence polluting existence down this way, while another, less alien and possibly human presence down a different tunnel, and much closer. Just felt like I should inform you. Incase you wanted to know."

DrK
2014-08-17, 12:34 AM
Maximilian dropped to one knee, resting as he focused his mind on the pain ravaging his body from the great rents in his chest and helm armour. Drawing on reserves of strength he nods to the Minotaur. Come, let us continue. I shall not let a flesh wound slow us down.

Last 2 fate points on healing [roll0]
Awesome.... I've now got 7 wounds

dupersudi
2014-08-17, 08:31 PM
"Then we must purge the Xeno, and find out what happened to Lord Gordian. Come men, follow me!"

Tychris1
2014-08-18, 12:55 AM
Thanator scoffs as he looks at the decapitated head of the Ravener, picking it up with one hand so that he could hold it up to his face. Grumbling to himself, he sheathes his power axe and shoves his fist into the alien's neck, transforming it into an impromptu shield. "It may be wise for us to avoid another encounter such as this one. A distraction such as that may cause us to lose sight of the objective. These signals seem capable of movement, and there is no telling how many different winding routes their may be in this foul subterranean cage."

1 Fate Point to heal:[roll0]

Toxic Mind
2014-08-19, 11:39 PM
The Astartes

Worse for the wear, but still very much alive and very much deadly, you move towards the signals displayed in your helmet. Oddly enough, they seem to be moving away from you, though not as if they were running. It will take you just under 5 minutes of running to reach them if you are willing to throw caution to the winds, or 10 if you take a more cautious approach. The way forward is the same terrain as before, pitted and pocket marked with holes and other pitfalls that may lay in the shadows. What do you do?

The Crew

As you move down the tunnel, it is the smell that you notice first. Like rotted plants, but far too organic and fleshy for simple flora. If there is a destination, you are getting closer to it. The shaft is wide enough that you can move with little difficulty, and shows no signs of narrowing. It looks like the journey to find the apothecary may be more uneventful than you thought, though obviously what lies at the end will be far from uneventful. You hear no sounds of a struggle, but whether this indicates victory or defeat for the erstwhile Apothecary, you can only guess.

This is your opportunity to make any checks for lore or awareness or to prepare any specialized gear or weapons before you reach the Apothecary.

ArcturusV
2014-08-20, 05:24 AM
Jonah Cruz

Jonah took the rear of the group, due to well, not being armored, and his flamer ready to cook, and not wanting to blast people if he was in the middle when things went to hell. He kept his eyes moving, checking behind them, and checking the ground that they walked over, watching for creatures sneaking up on them, and checking the passage for signs of recent traffic, trying to get an idea of the numbers or variety of creatures that may pass through here.

Throwin' my dice here.
First up, an Awareness Test: [roll0] vs 36 Trained Awareness.
Then a Tracking Test, looking for trails and signs of recent passage, etc: [roll1] vs 43 for Tracking +10.
And my Survival Master Re-roll if I need it: [roll2] vs 43 for Tracking +10.
And if I find any new/unusual tracks, IDing them with Forbidden Lore (Xenos): [roll3] vs 33 for Trained in Forbidden Lore (Xenos)

dupersudi
2014-08-20, 11:38 PM
Avery strides forward confidently, his pistol and sword out and at the ready. He gazes around briefly, but his eye is untrained. Much more used to tactical readouts and cogitator screens.

[roll0] TN 21 Untrained perception of 41
Going to delay a Semi-Auto Plasma burst for any hostiles that pop up.

TGFV
2014-08-21, 11:32 PM
Walking in the middle of the pack and leaning on his staff for support, S'vrill keeps his warp and natural senses open, the smell assailing his nose both an affront to all that is holy as well as an indicator of a possible greater danger.

Psyniscience test: [roll0] VS 88
Awareness test: [roll1] VS 88
Xenos (Tyranids/nests) test: [roll2] VS 66

DrK
2014-08-25, 06:46 AM
It appears the target is moving Maximilian mutters as he slowly walks forward. Each step still leaving a pool of blood behind as even his superhuman battled to stem the massive rents. There are clearly beasts of some power here, a cautious approach would be best perhaps?" he suggests beginning to stick to the shadows.

Stealth [roll0] TN ~ 55

Toxic Mind
2014-08-25, 09:37 AM
The Crew

The smell is overwhelming now. It chokes your mouth and nose with its noxious fumes, which sting and burn and claw at your body, not unlike the beasts you suspect they originate from. You can gauge your progress by how much harder it becomes to breathe. For most of you, the air is simply too laden to distinguish anything. For S'vril, however, some vagrancy of his form allowed him greater ability than his companions. Through the haze and the toxins, S'vril can smell the faint odor of promethium coming from ahead. Far more than should be emanating from Jonah's flamer. There may be a larger system at work here that S'vril is picking up on.

The duct system ends, and while you have seen no signs of the Lictor beyond the obvious struggle that took place, you know you are headed in the right direction simply because of the smell. You drop out of the vent system, carefully scanning the hallways both in front and behind you. Behind you the hallway stretches out into darkness but in front of you are two blast doors. They are sealed, though whether this was the doing of the Tyranids or the Deathwatch remain to be seen. However, it is clear that the source of the stench is behind that door. It is also clear that such an environment is almost invariably toxic, as the fumes leaking out already cause your nose and eyes to water and make breathing difficult.

S'vril can tell that the human mind signature is 50m behind them, moving slowly but steadily forward. The other signature, the Xenos, is behind the door, somewhere. This is the final step. What do you do?

The Astartes

Your cautious approach pays off time and time again, as the floor falls out just ahead of you, as you notice trip-wires connected to grenades designed to cut a man off at the knees. Progress has been slow, but you have avoided any serious pitfalls. Suddenly, something incredibly unexpected happens. The vox crackles to life. The Forge Master returns, but the news he brings is not good. "Your cargo has gone exploring, and has reached the Tyranid nest before you. If they enter that room without you, they will be torn to shreds. The path is clear. MOVE SPACE MARINES." It was not, you felt, in the Forge Master's nature to lie to lure you into mines or other traps. The passage ahead certainly seems clear, and the cargo's signature is 50m ahead in a straight line. If you ran, truly ran, throwing caution to the winds, you could be on them inside of 2 minutes. What will you do?

ArcturusV
2014-08-25, 05:17 PM
Jonah Cruz

The foul stench of Xenos was thick in the air, and as they stopped before the Blast doors Jonah set down his flamer for a moment, ripping at his right sleeve of his robe. It wasn't a rebreather, but he used that torn bit of cloth to form a simple mask to block out the scent and some of the particulate matter that had to be getting into his nose now, tying it nice and tight. A real filter? No, but it at least helped keep the smell out. He took up the flamer again once he was done with that very basic precaution.

An odd thought occurred to him, as the Xenos Beasts he had seen so far seemed, well, bestial. He knelt down a little, looking over at the Blast Doors and where they joined with the floor/wall. Had they really the basic capability to really open and close the door, or was this just a trap to try to get them to open the door for them?

"You sure you have the right signature?" he asked the Navigator as he looked over the place for signs of recent movement or at least that the blast door itself hadn't been sealed for the Emperor knows how long, if dust was settled, disturbed, etc. "Doubt those beasts know how to operate door controls. Might just be wanting us to crack open some sealed up nest for it, you think?"

Because Double Checking:
Awareness Test to spot signs of recent movement of the door, etc. Disturbed dust, wear marks, etc:
[roll0] vs 36 Perception, Trained in Awareness.
Tracking Test to make absolutely certain that the Xenos Beast and Apothecary Here actually came through the door:
[roll1] vs 33 Intelligence, +10 Tracking Skill for 43 total.
[roll2] Survival Master Re-Roll if needed.

DrK
2014-08-27, 01:57 PM
Maximilian curses under his breath before lumbering forwards on great treads. Sword and shield ready, mind already firmimg a great blast of lightning at any opponent..

I run

TGFV
2014-08-27, 03:07 PM
With a heavy sigh Svril looks back at the missionary. Am I sure that te a started is inside here? No, I have no clue if he is or isn't. I just now that a strong Xeno psychic field is in there, like the kind tyranids generate. I also know that a human signature is incoming and could possibly be the marines we were told about. Now can I look around?

With that said and done, the navigator sharply turns away and starts to inspect the hatchway.

Awareness: [roll0] bs 88
Psyniscience: [roll1] vs 88

dupersudi
2014-08-27, 05:46 PM
"I don't believe that we can proceed without the proper equipment here. These fumes are already making me lightheaded, let us double back and attempt to locate the other entity you detected Svril. If you are right and they are Astartes, it is much more likely that they can proceed past this point"

With that Avery slips past his companions and takes the lead going in the other direction.

Untrained Awareness
[roll0] Perception of 41

Tychris1
2014-08-27, 06:01 PM
The Minotaur paused for a second, unsure of whether or not this was some sort of a trap put forth by the Forgemaster, a test to see how foolhardy they were in accomplishing the task. "I do not believe rushing towards the unknown is the wisest-"

Well, if it was a test in that nature, his zealous companion seemed to have instantly failed it. Sighing, Thanator lugged his decapitated trophy shield infront of him to protect his head, rushing forward to try and keep pace with Maximilian.

ArcturusV
2014-08-28, 02:36 AM
Jonah Cruz

He shrugged as the captain lead away. Faith sustained him as needed. Power Armor? Ha! That was for Heretics, clearly.

Nonetheless, he had his duty to the Lord-Captain, once again taking up the rear guard position, keeping his eyes towards the blast doors, in case they open up and another swarm of things came out of it right into his Flamer's arc of DOOM.

Toxic Mind
2014-08-28, 11:22 PM
The Group

Your faith in the Emperor providing is rewarded with two Astartes, somewhat worse for the wear, appearing from the tunnel behind you. S'vril is sure this is the other signal, the human one. One of the two marines is a psyker. As for your examinations of the door, it reveals only that the key-pad could only have been used to open or close the door by either a human hand, or a remote trigger. As for the Astartes, your HUD tells you that behind the doors is a high level of toxicity, such that only those wearing environmentally sealed armor or suits could hope to navigate for long without complications. Still, there is nothing that says you have to fight the xenos in their own territory. Enrage them enough, and they might come to you... Still, all points are moot until the door is openned, and it seems the Tyranids are more than willing to wait.

What do you do?

TGFV
2014-08-29, 01:37 AM
"It appears I was right, yet again. I do really seem to like this feeling..."

Spitting out a mix of blood and saliva and starting to lean on his staff a little less, S'vril addresses the rest of the crew and the approaching astartes.

"The door seems to be only openable by human hand or remote, so either they have humans of some sort working with them or another way in. Do we blast it open and let the Calvary go in swinging? Or does anyone else have ideas to possibly save the astartes life and body inside?

Forbidden lore Xeno (concerning humans working with tyranids): [roll0] vs 68 w/unnatural Int
Psyinsciene (examining the marines): [roll1] vs 86

ArcturusV
2014-08-30, 02:55 AM
Jonah Cruz

He looked over the Astartes that had come. Just two of them, and from the look of it, battered badly and having had a rough time of it. Clearly the SPESS MEHREENS were cursed in this place, a lack of faith leading to their downfall? Who knows.

The man stood before them holding an oversized Astartes flamer, dressed in nothing but the robes of a Missionary, no armor, no protective doodads, no weapons other than the flamer. His body was scarred and twisted, bulky and seemingly used to a life of violence. His left sleeve had been rolled up to his shoulder, exposing his scarred and twisted arm that held the flamer, his right had the bottom third of the sleeve apparently roughly and freshly torn off, fitted as a simple, crude mask over his nose and mouth. Probably not going to save him against the Tyranid stench and whatever it carried on it, but better than just breathing it in openly after all.

"Your comrade was pulled away by one of those... things..." he said to explain more clearly what was going on to the newcomer SPESS MEHREENS. "Seems he was still alive and fighting the whole way. Tracked him to that door."

"Now we've been of the inclination that we are going to go save that fellow, either dragging him off to the medicae, or by puttin' a bolter in his head and giving him the Emperor's Mercy. Depending on what shape he's in of course. You seem in pretty poor shape to me, so I'd understand if you want to sit this one out. After all, you've done all you can, barely managed to get here in one piece from the looks of those rends in your armor."

"Or you can remember that you are the Emperor's Fury, let me patch you up, and go in there and send these Xenos to the Emperor as burning, blasted chunks," Jonah seemed confident, standing certain and tall, not shirking before the power armored SPESS MEHREENS.

Just for flavoring, Intimidate Test to piss them off by questioning their courage and get them to Hate the Xenos who have punked them out and left them barely capable.
[roll0] Intimidate, vs my 64 Strength, +20 Intimidation Training, and Inspire Wrath Talent for +20 to Piss People Off.
I'm not saying it has to impact them, because I'm generally not in favor of Social Skills used against PCs, just a reference point.
I do have Medicae Trained for First Aid if you need/want it. .... oddly reading the Rules as Written in the game... I can spam Medicae Tests to First Aid you to full health. They did not include a Dark Heresy style "Only first aid a single damage source once" thing (so 1 Medicae Test per time you were damaged), or a "First Aid only once every 24 hours" like Only War...
Huh... so theoretically I can just roll dice all day, there's no penalty to failure, until you have full health. Interesting. I'll wait for the DM to weigh in on that.

dupersudi
2014-08-30, 11:53 AM
Dressed in finery splattered with Xenos blood Avery walks up to the Space Marines

"I'm assuming you are the marines who will be joining us, I am Avery Abraham, Rogue Trader. Your Lord Gordian was dragged off by a large Tyranid organism, we have tracked them to here, but there are indications of extremely toxic fumes beyond this door that we cannot bypass without enivro suits. You can."

DrK
2014-09-02, 12:54 AM
Maximilian looked at the heavy door. Uncaring of the toxic fumes beyond in his protective shroud of ceramite plating. Looking at the mortals he appears an image of death. Looking at the mortals he speaks softly so as not to startle them. I am Brother Maximilian of the Deathwatch. Medical assistance would be welcome, though you may find our biology unknown to you. Then you may step back and my Brother and I shall cleanse this nest of evil.

How much do you heal us for?

ArcturusV
2014-09-02, 05:44 PM
Jonah Cruz

"Well... it never hurts to at least make the attempt, the Emperor guides us all in subtle and sublime ways... if only you have the courage to try," Jonah offered, he waited for the SPESS MEHREEN to give him some good clear access to see and tend to the wounds, cleaning it out the best he could, bandaging it, putting all his feral world, "I got **** for supplies", cunning to the test, along with a few litanies and prayers to the God-Emperor.

He took about a minute to look over both of the SPESS MEHREENS, given acceptance by them and access to work.

Well, Medicae Tests are Full Round Actions. So it takes 5 seconds per test, meaning 12 tests for a minute.

These will be applied in order of success first to to guy most likely to go inside, due to helmet wearing, Maximilian, then to our Cow Puncher after Max is fairly well topped off, if he is. Most likely this means only Max is getting Medicae. As he's Lightly Injured, he gets Intelligence Bonus (+3) per successful test.

Base Intelligence is 33, +20 Medicae Training, -20 for SPESS MEHREEN anatomy... some Super Soldier they are, can't even be healed effectively. If someone is trained in Medicae and wants to assist me (I don't think anyone is though) that'd be an extra +10... but as is I'm throwing 33.

Test 1: [roll0] vs 33
Test 2: [roll1] vs 33
Test 3: [roll2] vs 33
Test 4: [roll3] vs 33
Test 5: [roll4] vs 33
Test 6: [roll5] vs 33
Test 7: [roll6] vs 33
Test 8: [roll7] vs 33
Test 9: [roll8] vs 33
Test 10: [roll9] vs 33
Test 11: [roll10] vs 33
Test 12: [roll11] vs 33

... may the Emprah guide my virtual forum dice...

Tychris1
2014-09-02, 11:59 PM
Astartes

Thanator stared at the array of mortals arranged around him, his face seemingly neutral, yet holding a sense of arrogant hatred that is signature to every Minotaur made. His eyes were like two sentries, bulwarks on the stormy sea of his retina. Finally they fell upon the man that offered him and Maximillian medical attention. Seeing as his brother submitted to the treatment, and recognizing that they were most likely the beacons he was sent after, Thanator grumbles and permits the man to look his body over. Resting the decapitated Xenos head on his lap, Thanator stares at Jonah as he tries to perform first aid. Once the process is finished, he scowls and stands up, placing one massive metal finger on Jonah's chest as he pushes him slightly.

"Do not test me child."

Toxic Mind
2014-09-03, 01:11 PM
Aid rendered, it is time to create your plan of attack. Do you send in both marines, hoping to overwhelm the enemy, or attempt to find a more clever way to defeat the Tyranid menace behind the doors. And what of Gordian, the apothecary? He almost certainly lay beyond the doors, but in what state, no one could say. Either way, you need to make a plan and move forward. If the Apothecary lives, ever minute you delay wastes his life.

ArcturusV
2014-09-03, 08:26 PM
Jonah wasn't such a hardcore badass he didn't step backwards from the push, and have to catch himself, but he did glare back at Thrantor's eyes, leveling a steely gaze of his own. "A time and place, SPESS MEHREEN, you go rescue your fellow, and we'll settle it later under the eyes of the Emperor," he promised. Too used to dealing with feral tribesmen who needed pecking orders settled out by fists, flame, or sword, his initial reaction to the push being to counter back like he would have with any number of hundreds of feral warriors that he had run into during his missionary work over the prior years. He wasn't the type to back down from a blatant challenge, all that got you in his experience was stabbed in the back.

He took up his borrowed flamer again, checking it over best he could, ready to fire free, offering prayers to the God Emperor and the Machine Spirit to burninate some Xenos and awaken the fire within the Flamer. He took a few steps over towards the captain, lining up behind him, "Well sir, I think we're about ready."

Arutha
2014-09-03, 09:18 PM
I say we strike at the xenos from range, and ideally we can wipe out a large group. Once we see Gordian, we must bring him out of the room. It ain't right to have him in there, and the longer he's in there, the longer the fumes will have to effect him. We have the astartes up front, providing living cover for us mere mortals. I'm sure they can take it. Focus on the big things first, and once we have Gordian, we try to shut the doors. Any objections?

DrK
2014-09-04, 12:30 AM
Maximilian takes a deep breath, exploring the state of his now patched and bandaged chest and ribs. Looking at the Minotaur he nods to signify readiness. Have a care with your weapons. We do not want to set off an explosion. When he has a nod of release from everyone he will attempt to open the door...

TGFV
2014-09-04, 08:27 PM
His three eyes rolling at the insufferable Astartes, he looked at the one who has the psychic resonance and nods towards him.

If the arrogant marines want to go in without back up after being just patched up, S'vrill sees no reason to stop them. Humility is the greatest of teachers after all.....

"Perhaps we should step back a ways captain, there may be a blast of whatever toxic fumes are within when the door opens." he says as he walks away a ways.

Toxic Mind
2014-09-05, 09:47 AM
Maximillian finds the keypad easy to navigate, another reminder that this is not a true space hulk, and rather a training ground. The door slides open heavily, and the reason it hiccups time and again becomes obvious. The interior of the room looks more like a jungle than any room in a ship. At one point, it might have been set up as an engine room, but now organic tendrils wrap around the main reactor in the middle, seeking warmth or easy purchase.

The air that billows out from the nest is far more potent than what leaked out from between the blast doors. Immediately those without rebreathers begin feeling an acidic burn in their lungs, and eyes water as you squint against the pain.

Yet even these horrors pale before the sight you see. Apothecary Gordian is pinned to the wall, two spikes driven through his armor just below his sternum and into the wall behind him. The Apothecary's axe lies near him, fallen from his hands only a short distance away. You cannot immediately tell if he lives, but even if he does, he is not moving. It is a -20 Awareness or a +0 Medicae test to determine if he lives. Obviously the Medicae must be done in person.

As for your foes, the rippers you faced earlier have been busy. Now, the creatures have become hormagaunts, vicious Tyranid creatures easily capable of bringing down a fully grown man. They swarm around the base of the reactor, presided over by the true foe, the Lictor. Even now it is hard to focus on it, as it shimmers and fades. However, Gordian did not go down without a fight, and the gaping wounds he inflicted make it possible for you to track the beast as it moves.

The Gaunts have noticed your presence, and begin massing in one concerted group, roiling and hissing.

Ballistic Skill Checks are at -20
Anyone inside the doors not sealed takes 1d5 toxic damage on failed toughness test.
Can make Tech-Use test to determine if enivironment can be used to advantage.
Horde Size is Massive.

ArcturusV
2014-09-07, 05:17 AM
Jonah didn't really feel like going in there, at least not at the moment. He took up the Flamer, standing clear of the door, and aiming the business end at the gap. It should serve to funnel them in nice and tight for Flamer-y DOOM!

"The Emperor protects!" he called out, not much of a prayer, but it would have to do, time being of the essence on a smash and grab against such a large group of enemies, and he screamed it out with conviction as he was ready to show the other side of the coin, the Emperor burninating.

Need an Initiative I imagine:
[roll0] +4 Agility Bonus.
Uses "The Emperor Protects", spent a Fate Point. But myself and 4 other allies (Lord Captain, Rhobarb, Thanator, and Maximilian) are Immune to Fear/Pinning and WS/BS tests are -10 against them.

Arutha
2014-09-09, 06:06 AM
Rhobair saw the chamber, and the lictor, and knew his target. Hearth and Forge were in his hands, somehow having made the trip from his holster to his hands. His eyes picked out the wounds on the lictor, and he aimed his burning wrath to follow them.

free action to draw my plasmas, half action aim, free action awareness test, half action shoot with my plasmas,

Rolls: awareness [roll0] 47 or lower
Shooty shoot [roll1]under 92 plus range mods.
[roll2]
[roll3]

Edit: the plasma is pen six

dupersudi
2014-09-09, 09:11 AM
"Finish them quickly. The Apothecary doesn't look good." Having said that the captain raises his plasma pistol and lets two blobs of plasma fly into the horde.

[roll0] TN 74

Tychris1
2014-09-09, 09:48 AM
Power sword in hand, Thanator wordlessly rushes forward, his seething anger clogging his throat too much for any discernible sound to come out of it. This test had gone on for long enough, and now he would end it, once and for all. Swinging the blade down in an air sundering slash, he threw himself upon the Lictor.

Toughness Test:[roll0]
Again:[roll1]

Weapon Skill Test:[roll2]
Damage:[roll3]

DrK
2014-09-09, 12:32 PM
Maximilian gestured as his fellow charged in as a great crackling stream of lightning flowed from his body! Lightning arcing towards the lictor and the mass of hormogaunts...

Focus [roll0] TN ~ 85
- dam [roll1] pen 5 blast 5
- 1+5 = 6 magnitude to the horde

ArcturusV
2014-09-09, 02:09 PM
Jonah's weapon was short ranged, and frankly people were running into the place. So he set his flamer to his shoulder, nice and tight, finger near the trigger waiting. He wouldn't open fire unless something other than SPESS MEHREEN came out the doorway, ready to bathe it in holy promethium as needed. His lips were constantly moving as he locked in, starting to recite Litanies for the warriors and himself:

"Smite the foe, smash the enemy, for the Emperor we bring death!"

Delaying action, trigger: Enemy moves into the doorway. Response: Standard Action shot with the flamer at them.

TGFV
2014-09-10, 01:30 AM
Seeing the near fear inspiring horde of chattering chitinious creatures, Svril decides the his grand idea of standing behind the rest of the crew and the Astartes was not just prudent, but downright sensible in any and every sense of the word.

"Well atleast they aren't Ygmarl beasts..."

With that, he wearily draws himself up and prepares to unleash the powers of the unfiltered warp on the xenos filth.

Toxic Mind
2014-09-10, 02:07 PM
It shouldn't be alive. That's the first thought that all of you have. The space marines realize it first after the hateful volleys smash into the tyranids. Gaunt bodies evaporate in explosions of lightning and hails of plasma fire. And as the gaunts swarm out of the doors, scores die in a promethium inferno from the missionary. And just as fast as they had seemed to roil, the horde breaks, various Tyranid gaunts running for bolt holes and safety. And the damage the Lictor was taking was much worse. Too bloodied for its natural stealth to work, it took round after round, strike after strike. The Lictor slips by the lightning from the Librarian, which puts it directly into Thanator's path, and he brings his Power Sword down on the hateful creature, too fast even for it to dodge. The plasma bolts slam into the creature, the first being absorbed by its hide and the second searing flesh.

But impossibly, it stood.

Until the Navigator unleashed his power. At the moment the raw energies of the warp ripped through the last of the gaunts, it hit the Lictor, and revealed the true horror that you faced. The last vestiges of the Lictors natural camouflage dropped, and you can see what was hidden. Though some of the wounds were clearly made by the Apothecary, the majority form a symbol on his chest, a symbol that glows with malevolent power. Forbidden Lore - Daemonology, Chaos or equivalent to identify. Whatever else it may be doing, it appears to give the Lictor strange powers to endure blows that would have normally brought such a creature down.

More troubling perhaps, is how such a creature came to being, as this was a Training Exercise. But such questions would have to wait, because now the fight was on, and hesitation could spell death.

The Lictor, despite the space marine in front of it with the power sword, seems drawn to the Librarian, as if the usage of the powers of the warp drew it. Perhaps a strange quirk of the heretical symbol carved into its flesh? Whatever the reasons, whatever the questions, this enemy is far more dangerous than even the Ravener that the Marines had faced earlier. It had to be brought down quickly, or it would certainly kill all those present.

[roll0]
Damage in OOC

Lictor Wounds: 20/50 (After AoO)

Gordian is alive. You can detect the faint signs of life, though he is clearly gravely injured, his fight with the warp-tainted predator taking a grievous toll on him.

ArcturusV
2014-09-11, 04:55 AM
"Whatever it is... it is an abomination to the Emperor!" Jonah said with some steel in his voice. It wasn't fear, it was righteous defiance leading him from one prayer into the next. With the SPESS MEHREENS engaged in melee he didn't have a clear shot, not without flamering the faces of them off.

Bracing again to try to use the holy flames to break another 'gaunt charge through the doorway, he continued to pray:

"Great God-Emperor, Watch over Your Servant, And bestow upon him the skill and the patience, To time the moment, And make the kill."

Second verse, same as the first, holding my fire unless the Gaunt Horde comes through. I'm guessing I don't have either the range or a clear shot at Lord Fatass the Daemonhost Xenos at the moment, so not taking it.

dupersudi
2014-09-12, 01:13 PM
"Put that damned thing DOWN!" Avery screams. He fires off another duo of shots at the Lictor.

Semi Auto fire
[roll0] TN 74
[roll1] Pen 6
[roll2] Pen 6

DrK
2014-09-12, 09:22 PM
Maximilian continues to exert his will upon the beast, focusing the arcing lightning on the monster in a great shower of explosive sparks and crackling discharges. Even within his suit he could feel the hrat and see the shimmer of ozone. But his will was it on as he sought to cleanse this place.

Another psychic smite [roll0] TN ~85
- phenomenon if needed [roll1]

Damage [roll2] PEN5

Toxic Mind
2014-09-12, 09:56 PM
Just as the last of the gaunts that haven't fled throw themselves onto Jonah's flamer in a holy pyre to the Emperor's glory, Avery fires off two shots from his pistol, and, by the grace of the Emperor, a third is belched forth by the weapon's machine spirit. The shots do little enough damage, as the creature's hide seems to absorb the worst of the blasts, but it does distract the Lictor long enough for Maximilian to fire off a blast of lightning from point blank range. The Lictor explodes in half, gore and vile ichor flying everywhere, splattering Maximilian. The inside of the Lictor is a festering pit of maggots and other unmentionable creatures of disease and decay. How it managed to live this long is baffling. Still, as the Lictor twitches in its death throes, the Reactor Room falls silent.

Apothecary Gordian remains impaled on the spine. It seems that the source of the toxin in the air may have been the Lictor itself rather than the Tyranid Nest, as already the air seems less foul. Almost as if the Lictor had been polluting and corrupting the air around it, and now that it was dead, the corruption begins to cease. And slowly, ever so slowly, the mark carved into the Lictor fades to simple scars, no longer glowing with the malevolence it once possessed. Yet it seemed as though whatever lived within the mark tried to hold on to this world as long as it could.

The vox crackles to life. "...Hear me? I repeat, can anyone hear me? If you are hearing this, get out of there now! Something has gone horribly wrong!" The Forgemaster's voice can be heard over the vox, but it seems that he is unsure if anyone is receiving.

ArcturusV
2014-09-13, 11:41 PM
With the air clearing, Jonah approaches the doorway. His flamer just about empty, true, he could feel the canister feeling quite a bit lighter. But he saw that he had one last duty to do. Raising up the flamer at near point blank range to the corpse he gives it an extra blast, making sure to get the diseased pile of maggots, worms, and other vermin.

"Blighted from his sight, purified by holy flame, begone foulness of the Darkness, you have no place here! AVE IMPERATOR!" Jonah calls out as he burninates the pile to cleanse the filth away, counting on the holy promethium, and his own makeshift "Mask" to supplement his faith in the Big Man on the Shiny Chair to protect him as he purified.

Course, without a vox, implant, bead, etc, tuned to the Watch Station on him, Jonah didn't hear the Forgemaster and his desperate cries. He kept his eyes on the smoldering corpse, planning to hit it with the flamer's last shot if there was a sign of crawling corruption left there.

dupersudi
2014-09-14, 12:42 AM
Avery responds to the forge master's call on his Micro-Bead. "This is Rogue Trader Avery Abraham. Apothecary Gordian is severely wounded, as are both of the other Astartes, and one of the Xenos looked heretical. Send medical personal and someone to purify the area."

"Good Father, continue to cleanse the area." Having said that he moves closer to inspect the Apothecary.

Awareness
[roll0]

Toxic Mind
2014-09-14, 12:49 AM
It appears that Gordian is alive, and you may be able to remove the spine from his chest. However, if medical personnel arrive, they may prefer you leave Gordian. The choice is yours. "Hold position, Lord-Captain. Help is on the way. Is anyone else wounded?" The ForgeMaster speaks over the vox.

DrK
2014-09-14, 03:34 AM
Maximilian speaks into his vox, A mixture if heresy and xenomorph. A vile combination now dead. Brother Gordian is near death. Will you send an aporgecsrt to us or shall we bear him to you?

Looking at the mortals the armoured form gicesca salute with his force blade. Your bravery does you credit. Perhaps you would have made worthy aspirants

ArcturusV
2014-09-14, 08:04 AM
Jonah turned to look at Max as Max congratulated them on getting out of this without a scratch, and his brow furrowed suggesting a clear frown that was hidden by the simple mask he wore around his nose and mouth. He nodded towards the SPESS MEHREEN to gesture towards his armor. Armor covered in Ick from the Daemonhost Xenos Beast thing.

"You might want to take that off before whatever ichor that beast held corrupts your armor, and you underneath. Put it down to get Fireblasted into purity perhaps?" Jonah offered. It might just be blood and guts... and it might very well be HERESY waiting to happen. A missionary didn't mess around with HERESY contamination.

Toxic Mind
2014-09-14, 12:35 PM
"Heresy?!?" The surprise in the Forgemaster's voice told you everything you needed to know. Something had gone horribly wrong. Whatever you were meant to fight, it certainly wasn't a daemonhost corrupted xeno. "A purification team and Apothecary are on the way now. They should arrive at your location momentarily."

The purification team was something to behold. Two Deathwatch brothers in Terminator Armor, armed with Heavy Flamers. The Apothecary with them scans Gordian, and then in one savage motion, rips the spine out of his chest. He motions to a group of servitors, who together pick up Gordian's motionless body and bear it away, with the other Apothecary already beginning treatment. "Stand Back" from the Purification Team as they begin incinerating everything within the room. The Promethium does its work well, and soon nothing organic remains in the room to show what horrors occurred here. As they finish their task, quickly enough, they turn. "The Forgemaster and Watch-Captain await your presence. Come."

You follow the two Armor-clad brothers out, your purpose accomplished. You are lead through the fortress by a different way this time, to the Quarters of the Watch Commander. Modrigael is waiting for you, as well as the Forge-Master. He dismisses the Purification team with a nod. "It appears my fears were not unfounded. Can you relay to me exactly what occurred in the Training Ground?"

1200xp each for our opening sequence. Be sure to update character sheets accordingly in the OOC.

Arutha
2014-09-14, 01:56 PM
Rhobair was stood out of the way. "They always said the emperors judgment was swift. But the only time I've seen anything close to that fast was on Tranch. Brings back memories." And it did that in more was than one.

DrK
2014-09-14, 03:28 PM
Maximilian watches with some satisfaction as the flames consume the room. The heat casting a flicker of red shadows across the black armour plates. Heading up through the fortress he continues to watch and observe trying to piece together the Watch Station's internal layout.

Seeing the Watch Captain he salutes, Captain. The training was eventful. Apothecary Gordian was taken. We retrieved him but the beast was a blend of xeno and heretic. He continues to relate the tale before asking Will the apothecary survive his wounds?

Toxic Mind
2014-09-14, 03:39 PM
"Gordian is not so easily killed, or he would not be trusted with such responsibilities. He will live, though he will need Medical care for some time. But this beast is what worries me. You said it was a blend of xeno and heretic, but the Forge-Master has assured me that no such creature was meant to be in the testing grounds. I am inclined to believe him. Which means one thing. The matter we spoke of earlier has become more urgent. Someone in Erinoch, someone we believed we could trust, has betrayed us, and they tried to have you, and the Lord-Captain, killed." Modrigael's face is angelically cold, but even the officers could see the rage beneath the surface. "We must find who turned that beast into the abomination you fought. They will be made to answer for their heresy, and may lead us to further compatriots."

ArcturusV
2014-09-14, 04:59 PM
Traitors? Among the SPESS MEHREENS? It was the first that Jonah had heard of it. And it did cause him to have a moment of shock come across his face. Sure they were filthy heretics who didn't believe in the divinity of the God-Emperor, but outright Heresy and trafficking with the Dark Powers was something else entirely.

Sadly, Heresy is something that Jonah knew a bit about, and musing out loud he said, "Well, it should be a short list of potential traitors. The man we were with originally seemed... surprised... that the rather large Xenos with the grappling hook barb things was there. I presume that means it was not supposed to be there. And similarly with the markings of Darkness."

"Heretics by their nature are a cowardly lot, filled with mistrust, for how can you work with someone who by their very nature cannot be trusted? My instinct would say that it is more likely the work of a single person, or a single figure who has cowed weaker people under his thumb than a true cabal of equals."

"Meaning we are looking for a ringleader who both knows Xenobiology to create such a creature, and the fell arts to add the extra corruption of the Darkness to it. I am sure that there are not many here who have lore in both of these disparate fields, correct?"

He frowned a bit, unseen behind the simple mask again, "A field inquisition of that list of people may be in order."

Tychris1
2014-09-14, 09:04 PM
Thanator scowled as he contemplated this entire mess. It only went to further prove the purity and necessity of the Minotaurs task, to eradicate their heretical brethren wherever they may spawn, at whatever stage of corruption they are in. It was clear now that the Emperor had sent Thanator here to ensure that his guiding hand and presence could be felt in such ominous times.

"While a list of such known sources of data is useful, it may prove wholly unnecessary. The traitorous vermin are known to lurk in the shadows, hiding their power at all costs, lest the forces of Holy Terra smite them where they stand. Were their names be so easily accessed on a list, I would believe their involvement within our ranks would come to a violent end far before this time....."

Thanator mused on the subject, trying to contemplate how to get around this own problem he had presented. His mind scoured years of war, battles across the stars, until one memory was plucked. A memory of a battle long fought by him and his fellow Minotaurs against a different traitor. They still held sympathy for the human inhabitants upon their homeworld, and so the Minotaurs proceeded to butcher their lands so as to goad the traitors out of their fortress monasteries and into the open fields where they could be slaughtered with ease. Yes, this memory would do just nicely.

"To catch this predator..... We require bait."

Toxic Mind
2014-09-14, 10:02 PM
"I will not sacrifice more of our brothers to these heretics unless I have no other choice." Modrigael says, almost a snarl. "Gordian was a friend and a brother. We will find the one who did this to him, and bring the Emperor's Justice to them. I am sending you to Rheelas, one among the worlds Quarantined by Lord Commander Ebongrave for what he believes is Tau sympathies." Modrigael's tone makes it clear of his opinion on the matter, that Ebongrave was a fool, and possibly still is. "Inquisitor Ezu Ghraile of the Ordo Xenos is there now. She has firsthand and expert knowledge of Tyranid biology, and could easily instruct one of her acolytes to accomplish this task in her stead. Her obsession over the Tyranids borders on heresy itself, and she may have lost herself in a bid to force us to take the threat more seriously. If she is not responsible, she could almost certainly be of help in discovering the culprit. She is investigating a cult on Rheelas now that she believes is a genestealer colony. True or not, you must find her, and attempt to ascertain what she knows about this incident. If she is innocent, assist her in her mission and bring her back here. If she is not, gather all that she knows, and then end her."

"The warp path from Erinoch to the Fortress World of Spite is well documented. However, if you choose to anchor there, be sure that none know your destination. If word gets back to Ebongrave, he will almost certainly have you arrested, if not executed."

DrK
2014-09-15, 01:04 AM
Maximilian looks at the Watch Captain, Arrest a Son of Dorn... he savours words, a puzzling concept. It would be unwise for a man to try that. Are we to travel with the Captain here? he asks in his deep voice, beaked helm facing the Rogue Trader. He showed bravery. I would find him acceptable. Do you have a data file on this woman?

dupersudi
2014-09-15, 02:11 AM
"Does this station have no pict recorders? Especially in training areas? And what exactly WAS supposed to be in the training exercise, who supplied it, and how long has it been on the station?" Avery shakes his head. "In any case, we could do with more supplies, I believe we shall stop off at Spite and attempt to gather resources briefly before getting involved with Tau and Genestealers. May I request that some data on these Xenos be sent to my ship? Neither are common in the Calixis sector. Also any information on this Ghraile and whatever retinue she has would be must conducive for our survival." Turning towards Maximillian Avery responds. "Yes, you are, circumstances behind this decision are mysterious but I suppose that is standard procedure for the Inquisition. But I don't believe we have been properly introduced, quite understandable given the circumstances. I am Avery Abraham, Rogue Trader. Tales of the Astartes combat prowess do not do you or your companion justice."

Toxic Mind
2014-09-17, 02:29 PM
"Yes. The file on the Inquisitor will be made available to you onboard the ship. The Lord-Captain has agreed to see you safely to your destinations, and in return, you will assist him in the operations of his dynasty, so long as it does not impact your missions." Modrigael says to the Space Marines. "Your requisitioned armor and weapons have already been loaded onto the ship, as well as serfs to maintain them. You may not return to Erinoch for some time, so considerations have been made. Fight well, space marines. For death and glory."

The Forge Master answers Avery. "The nature of the training exercise was kept closely secret. We are looking into it. Your ship has been restocked for the journey, and relevant information on the Tau suspected within the Quarantined World of Rheelas has been sent to you, as well as some information on Genestealers and signs of their infestation. If the Inquisitor found Genestealers, though, she has almost certainly seen them destroyed. She is very thorough."

ArcturusV
2014-09-18, 12:30 AM
"... speaking of losing themselves, what of the Inquisitor we met earlier? Would it not be more likely if there was an Inquisitor who had stared too deeply into Heresy and lost themselves to it, that one who has access to this place would be more likely to sabotage this place, than one at least a few Warp Jumps away?" Jonah asked, clearly skeptical of the implication that an obsessive person, much less one worlds away and most likely fully in the throws of their obsession, struck at the SPESS MEHREENS and a random Rogue Trader's crew.

None the less, he recognized that the Watch Commander seemed to be a stubborn man, with his own thoughts. It was a sort of anger and blindness that normally was to be cultivated in the Servants of the Imperium, but no so much in its shepherds.

"She had the access, and knew of us. If not a brother of yours, who else?" Still he had to try to make sure that at least people were covering their bases, particularly if he ever planned on coming back to this base and not seeing it overrun with Daemonic Xenos Bug Critters.

Turning to the Lord-Captain he gave a short, clipped bow, "If we are done here, I believe we should return to the ship and attend to our purity. The taint of HERESY is insidious, while we avoided injury, it might still linger around us. The sooner I can get you to the proper shrines to be overlooked by the Saints and cleared, the better." Part medicine, part spiritual, he wanted to make sure that HERESY didn't take root in either body or soul. SCIENCE!? That's heresy! Faith maintains purity.

Toxic Mind
2014-09-18, 12:36 PM
"I will look into the possibility out of respect for your service, but I pray to Him that you are wrong. If the Lady Inquisitor is truly corrupt, then we have far greater worries than simply our lives." Modrigael turns, clearly indicating that the meeting was over, and to take your leave and return to your ship.

Toxic Mind
2014-09-19, 12:42 PM
A pair of serfs lead you back through the halls of the Watch Fortress. The Astartes are lead a different way, to clear out their few possessions of import from their current quarters that they might transfer them onto the ship. They meet back with you shortly enough in the landing bay. Another Deathwatch Keeper is waiting, Gordian still being in the med bay. "Your crew are not to be told of the existence of this station." His grim countenance made the consequences for disobeying this order abundantly clear. He steps out of the way, and the Lander opens its hatch, allowing you to leave.

The flight back to the ship is easy enough. Halfway between the fortress and the ship, the vox crackles to life. "Lord Captain, is that you? We have been under lockdown for the past few days, and until just a few hours ago, there were men of the Inquisition moving things onto the ship. Orders sir?" You recognize the voice of one of the bridge crew. Clearly the Inquisition has not been idle in your absence.

The Lander docks and you can clearly see an honor guard in attendance, leaving you the awkward task of explaining the two grim-faced Astartes now with you that you clearly did not have before.

What do you do?

DrK
2014-09-19, 01:07 PM
Maximilian looks about eyes scanning the ship. Lord Captain we will require rooms for meditation. A shrine for our armaments and a training space to hone our skills. Until then do you have an observation dome. I would watch the void.

dupersudi
2014-09-19, 04:11 PM
Avery responds quickly to the transmission. "Of course it is me. Maintain visual and sensor lockdown and prepare the vessel for warp transit. Inform the Navigator we are heading to the Fortress World of Spite. I want the bridge prepared for my arrival."

Turning towards his fellow passengers. "Now then, seeing as the Inquisition would likely frown upon us revealing where we just were, I would suggest that we say we encountered a Xeno infested ship that the Inquisition had sent a team to clear, we assisted and as a token of gratitude the Astartes have been assigned to us."

Upon landing the Captain strides out purposefully, surprising the honor guard with how fast he passed them, when one of his stewards comes up he orders "Get all crew to warp stations. We will be leaving shortly. I will be on the bridge."

"But of course Lord Astartes. I will order the arrangements made immediately. Unfortunately this vessel does not possess and observation dome, the largest viewports we have are on the bridge." Avery taps his micro-bead and sends a message to one of his stewards. "The Astartes need rooms, place them near the bridge. Have an armaments shrine set up for their weapons and armor adjacent to their rooms."

ArcturusV
2014-09-19, 06:00 PM
And Jonah stepped off the lander looking, well, much like he had when he first arrived in the Lord-Captain's employ. Torn robes, scarred skin, and with a swagger derived from success and faith as he stepped down the ladder.

"Services in 30 minutes to rebuke the Warp and ask for the Emperor's Divine Will to protect us during transit," he announced to the gathered honor guard, so that they could spread the word as the group broke up. All routine and expected, what voidsman would traverse the Warp without getting their prayer on after all?

"Lord-Captain, I take it you will want a private service 2 hours from now. Surely a pious man such as yourself would want to commune with the Emperor before we are too far adrift in the sea of the immaterium." He gave the Lord Captain a blank expression as he said that, his voice carefully neutral, and his stride never breaking as he continued away from the lander.

There was no thought of changing his torn robes for the service, or hiding his arm. The crew needed to know that their Master of the Faith would be willing to go to bat and punch Heresy in the Taint as needed. He liked to foster the image of him not just as a Priest but as a Warrior for that reason. His mind continued to work as his feet carried him to 'his' shrine. Not a proper shrine as he would hope for on a Voidship. Some had truly grand cathedrals in them. But it was a space he repurposed from whatever it was supposed to be, probably crew quarters, for the Faithful to gather and praise the God-Emperor.

There was a lot on his mind, and he wasn't paying too much conscious effort, letting the muscle memory take over as he headed into that Shrine and set up materials for the services of the Faithful.

Toxic Mind
2014-09-22, 12:40 PM
Chapter 2: The Heresy of Pride

The Astartes settle into their quarters, close to the bridge, but far enough to not be bothered by the comings and goings of the bridge crew. The file on Inquisitor Ghraile in a data burst, transmitting directly to the logic engines in the Captain's cabin and to the Astartes. A targeted data burst that would bypass the ship's own defensese was almost impossible, speaking to the skill with which Erinoch was run. Another data burst followed, delivering the information on Genestealer Nests to the Captain. Embedded in the burst was a much smaller message, carefully encoded in Deathwatch Ciphers.

Tread carefully. The Inquisitor is known to use unorthodox and borderline heretical methods to accomplish her purpose. She will not hesitate to attempt to use and discard you, even if she is not guilty of this larger heresy. If you suspect her of this heresy, you must interrogate her before her death. We must know the extent of this treachery.

The second message was noticed by a communications officer, who dutifully pointed it out to the Captain. Without the knowledge of the ciphers, however, it was unreadable, at least for the moment. Jonah's sermons were well received by the crew, who had, over the past few days, had quite enough of secrecy and longed for the simple devotion to the Emperor.

The warp charts for S'vril arrived momentarily, showing the clear path to the Fortress world of Spite. And so, without any further delay, the crew sets out. Adventure and fortune await for some, and for others, a bloody death. Such is the fortune of those who serve the Imperium.

Roll Awareness for the Astronomicon
The Journey is Easy (+20) due to the charts.
After which, roll Nagivation (Warp) for the standard battery.
Will update with specifics if you need them when I'm home (4hrs)

TGFV
2014-09-25, 02:43 PM
Inside his navigation chamber, Svril and his kin stand around a wine filled chalice. Splaying out a deck of priest-flesh Emperor's Tarot, the head navigator starts the traditional ritual, playing out ley lines for each of the stages of travel according to the prime 7 dimensions they will hopefully be afloat in.

Within minutes the wine is smoking and smouldering, red smoke rising off and curling around the navigators as they chant litanies in High Gothic. The tarot complete and consulted, Svril crawls his way through the smoke to his throne and links into the ships holy machine spirit.

"Captain, translation will occur momentarily. Any pre-translation preparations should be taken care of within the next 10 minutes to reach the entry point at the best point of flow"

Toxic Mind
2014-09-25, 09:31 PM
The warp is a fickle creature, and ever it attempts to seize and trap the unwary in its jaws. But today the Emperor's light shown upon the crew of the Vireso, and saw them through. It was music, pure artwork, and even the crew and officers most hardened against the mutant could not help but admire the navigator's prowess as he deftly sidestepped dense pockets of Immaterium, warp shoals that would rip the ship apart, and other unseen horrors that the crew could never imagine at. Halfway through the journey, there was almost an incident, but fortunately, S'vril's deft manipulation of the Emperor's Tarot warned him in time to avoid it. A massive shape, many times larger than that of the largest Imperial Grand Cruiser, moved by the ship, and the Vireso shuddered in its wake. The Leviathan was massive, so massive in fact that it took no notice of the ship passing near it. S'vril's orders to the helmsman kept the ship well away, and the beast passed them by for parts unknown.

The translation back to realspace shared all the same signs of the blessed voyage. The Vireso emerges within easy distance of the Fortress World of Spite. It is at that moment, when the crew sang the praises of the Emperor with Jonah triumphantly leading them, that the message came. The ship's astropath transcendent, an elder man, wizened by the burdens of his task and walking with the heavy aid of his staff of office, approaches the Captain and the officers on the command deck. "Lord Captain. We have received a relay from one claiming to be of a loyalist faction on Rheelas. The message is as follows. "To any Imperial ships, this is Colonel James Anders of the 35th Rheelasian Infantry. We require medical supplies and food. Anyone willing to run the blockade to provide these would be rewarded handsomely, and would have our loyalty. Emperor Protects." The Astropath Trasncendent looks at you, his expression grim. "They transmitted that openly. To do so likely killed the Astropath sending it." With a nod, the elder man shuffles back to his sanctum.

Spite is easy travel away, should you wish to embark there, though the jump to Rheelas could also be made.

What do you do?

ArcturusV
2014-09-26, 12:10 AM
As the Navigator was Navigating it up with his spooky warp witchery and the like, Jonah was down in one of the ship's Shrines to the God-Emperor. As the Navigator did his rituals, he lead the ratings of the ship in the litanies to invoke the God-Emperor's protection against the churning eddies of the warp.

Voices rose together as he chanted in the Low Gothic of the ship, so that all the voices might understand his words and join into the prayers and invocations. The Profession of Faith, the Ophelian Creed, Litanies for Protection Against the Warp, and Invocations of the Emperor's Protection over the vessel.

A thousand voices chanting in unison, lead by the pure faith of a man who believed wholly in every word of it, willing to throw his complete body and soul into the trust of the Emperor. He stalked across the pulpit of the shrine like a caged beast. His Chainsword in hand, reminding them that the robed figure was not just a preacher, but someone who stood against HERESY with nothing but a weapon and the Power of Faith. He'd rev the sword to emphasize points of the prayers, gesturing strongly with it, working up a sweat and getting red in the face as he practically turned to screaming out the litanies against the warp in the pure hatred of the Imperial Creed.

DrK
2014-09-30, 12:56 AM
Maximmilan looks at the ships captain. His face stoic and impassive but... A son of Dorn and a devotee of Sigismund he could not ignore the call of righteous crusade.
My lord captain, is Rheelas a long jump? We can not allow enemies of the Emperor to flourish.

Toxic Mind
2014-09-30, 07:58 AM
I can answer that, Lord Astartes. One of the ship's creewmen spoke. Rheelas should only be a 2 day journey In the warp from Spite.

dupersudi
2014-10-01, 09:54 AM
NOW

"Set course for Spite. We will endeavor to leave Spite as quickly as possible Lord Astartes. The enemies of the Emperor will meet his retribution." Having said that Avery leaves the bridge and places a call to his Seneschal. "Rufus, we need a contact and information base, we are flying blind currently, except for the grace of the Inquisition. When we set down on spite I want you to try and start an information network, visit some information brokers, acquire agents, get as much information about the situation in the sector as you can. And spread the word that the Abraham's are here to fight the Emperor's foes."

WHENEVER

Avery is waiting in his private quarters, contemplating his small shrine to St. Drusus when Jonah arrives. "Come in Father, let us pray to St. Drusus, and St. Macharius as well as the God Emperor today." After the prayers have been done thoroughly, and Avery has watched Jonah perform the prayers with no signs of distress or discomfort, Avery turns towards the priest. "I am concerned Father. This witchery in the warp is most upsetting. I want you to keep a weather eye out for corruption among the crew. Especially the ones who claim to have experienced different pasts." He hesitates before continuing. "I am also afraid. The only time I remember having heard of Xenos corrupted by the Arch Enemy was with the Yu'vath. And from what I hear the Tyranid are even more of a threat on their own." He pauses again. "I want you to arrange the scouring of the ship after every warp translocation and planetfall. Take as many armsmen as you need and make sure Clerics participate in the sweeps. You will have full access to the vessel and authority over the rest of the crew. Make sure this ship remains pure and holy Father. I feel like steering her into places of corruption is in our future, and I will not allow us to fall."

Toxic Mind
2014-10-01, 02:57 PM
Spite stretches before you. A world designed to be the lynchpin upon which a crusade would stand the world of Spite is a place of order, and oppression. Where other world practice their own interpretations of the Creed, there is only one on Spite. Any deviation or heresy is purged, no matter how small. From Spite, hundreds of thousands of Imperials leave every day for distant battlefields, to fight and die for the Emperor, often never knowing that they were half a galaxy away from their home.

Spite is ruled by General Stavros Tullius in the stead of Lord Commander Ebongrave, who is off world. The proper Imperial codes transmitted and received, you are directed to one of the many orbital stations around the planet, which provide the only way onto the planet. As the Vireso docks, you are met by a regiment of the planetary guard, who bear the standard of the planetary governor. If the guardsmen are phased by the presence of two of the Adeptus Astartes, they do not show it, and their commander speaks with a cool tone. "General Tullius has requested your presence to welcome you to Spite, Lord-Captain Abraham. You are welcome to bring your officers should you choose, or they can meet you planetside." The stormtrooper motions to follow him to his landing craft. Those who follow are taken to the surface with all haste, whereas those left behind take one of the Vireso's landers to the surface to accomplish their own tasks.

The ride to the Governor's palace is short, and not altogether uncomfortable. The Lander takes you to the highest spire of the largest Hive on Spite, Hive Averon. Averon sprawls across the planet's face, but such concerns are quite literally beneath you for now. You are met by the Governer-General himself, and he extends his hand in greeting. "Lord-Captain Abraham. I have heard of your exploits and been told to extend to you all courtesies while you are here. You come at a fortuitous time, as there is much work to be done in reclaiming this sector for the Emperor, and there are far too few who are truly loyal." The Governer General is a hard man to read, scarred by war and combat, and not made soft by his job as administrator. He looks like he could step back onto the field in an instant.

What do you do?

Those of you that end up with the Captain can play from here, if you went somewhere else, simply roleplay that and what you are looking for/to do, and I will post accordingly. If you need any information, post in OOC

ArcturusV
2014-10-02, 06:35 AM
Jonah in the Whenever

Jonah did seem troubled when the Lord-Captain finished giving his orders.

"Sir, you know I joined this crew how I did. My duty to the God-Emperor has always been chief, and not being raised upon this ship, or your holdings, I have viewed you in a certain light. Not quite as a superior, but a figure of destiny to be certain. Ever since we met on Separis Prime. I mention this as there are things I must speak to you about now, not as your servant, but as a peer who's advice you should take seriously."

He closed his fists and stood up, stalking a bit with nervous energy. He was always one to stalk about when preaching or speaking, finding it hard to sit and be "civilized" as some might. His eyes looked to the shrines, then back to the Lord-Captain.

"... do not blindly trust these warriors from the station." He leveled a hard gaze upon the captain. "The Astartes are the heralds of the God-Emperor's wars, true. But they are also flirting on the edge of Heresy, almost constantly as my fellows in the Ecclessiarchy's higher levels know well."

"As you know, Faith in the God-Emperor is truly the only defense against Corruption and Heresy. No matter how hard your training, no matter how hard your willpower may be, everyone is but a Man, not a God, and is flawed. Corruption will batter upon you endlessly, seeking out even the tiniest of flaws to take root in. And once that happens the only response is death, there is no cure from Heresy."

"So we must put our faith in the God-Emperor and his chosen Saints. Those who truly hold their faith fast can move through even a sea of filth and come out pure. I know you have seen such miracles, fighting alongside me over the years, and felt the steely resolve of that faith keep your mind and soul pure."

"... These Warriors have no faith. They say the God-Emperor is but a powerful man, or even a Witch. They deny his divinity. And this is why figures such as myself, or His Daughters can channel his boundless power against corruption... and they cannot."

"By their very nature and flirtation with the Heresy of denying the God-Emperor, they are weak to corruption and madness. They will be lured in by Heresy. It is inevitable. Never be alone with them. Never trust them. Never rely upon them."

"If you do not believe me... merely ask how such Heresy as a Xenos tainted by The Enemy could appear on a station filled with such Holy Knights as the Adeptus Astartes. They may claim but a single sabotuer or cultist among their peasants. But it is a symptom of their deeper heresies."

"That said, I will do all I can to keep the ship pure in his eyes. However I do not believe it is possible as long as these Warriors are on board. Their weakness is a festering breeding pool."

After Spite Arrival

Waiting to see if Lord-Captain wants me to be there or not to determine what I may or may not be doing.

DrK
2014-10-02, 01:37 PM
Maximilian watched everything spending 23 hours per day on the bridge, only retiring to meditate and pray for a short time. His black armoured form casting long shadows as he prowled the command deck.

Reaching Spite he nodded and agreed to the captain's request. Storm bolter and force blade at his side and helm on to become to oppressive face of the Astarte's. Sitting in the lander he watched the hive beneath, again the feeling if being apart from man. The mystery how billions could exist like vermin in a nest scurrying about with meaningless lives.

As they landed he strode through the corridors staring with contempt at the desk bound officers and generals. Soldiers and leaders should leas from the front. The general however scarred from war earns a grudging nod. The enemies of the Empire shall be crushed and we shall be part of that avenging fist.

dupersudi
2014-10-03, 04:29 PM
ON THE SHIP
Avery chuckles wryly. "Not as a superior? I am quite certain I should be offended on behalf of my Dynasty at that. Frankly however how you view me is not as important as how well you do your job and follow my orders. Social niceties are... necessary when you are in such a politicized role as a Rogue Trader, especially in civilized areas. In private however, well I enjoy getting to know my confidants."

Now it is a matter if I can trust this man, his origins, mysterious, but he is a disciple of the god emperor, surely that means he is pure? If the question has to be asked, suspicion is the only appropriate answer. But he could be an ally if the Astartes turn on me. Keep the priest's nose to the grindstone then, so busy he can't cause trouble, but constantly working for me. He does raise interesting questions about the Astartes, but they are the children of the Primarchs. Again the question has to be asked. So suspicion. I really need to get someone I can trust.

Italics denote thoughts

"I can't proclaim to know the mysteries of the Astartes Jonah, but if you don't trust them I will be sure to keep an eye out. As for them contaminating my vessel, well if they attempt to, or we suspect them I will take action. On planet I want you to accompany me, at least through the initial meet and greet, the Astartes will also hopefully accompany us. Afterwards you can roam the planet freely, but the presence of a priest of the God-Emperor tends to lend support to Rogue Traders in the eyes of the Imperium."

ON PLANET

"Then let us meet the good General!" On the ride over Avery discusses general topics with the commander, attempting to get information through casual conversation about the planet and its populace.

The usual meet and greet. Hopefully it won't take too long, as much fun as military leaders are I do want to get business done rapidly

Believe it would be Charm
[roll0] TN 93

Upon arriving at command Avery shakes the generals offered hand and begins to talk. "I'm sure my exploits don't even begin to measure up to yours General. If you have the time this evening I would enjoy swapping tales of derring-do over a repast or glass of amasec. Before that however, business. I'm afraid I need to make a number of request of your generous hospitality. I've only arrived recently in this sector and what information I have at my disposal is quite incomplete and in some cases completely false, if I could get access to Sector trade data, unclassified military information, warp routes, and other such information it would make spreading the Emperor's will in the sector much easier. That is one of the reasons we've stopped here after all, jumping blind into the sector would limit what good we could do. Another reason is supplies, but those I will endeavor to acquire on my own, I wouldn't even dream of imposing that on you. But would you happen to know where the nearest Bazaar or trading union is? And any suggestions as to where to begin assisting the Imperium to reclaim this sector would be most appreciated."

How respectful of him, I suppose I don't hate him. Lets see how he responds when I make some requests. I need to start up a whole new network here after all, Throne this will take work. Lets see how much intelligence he is willing to disclose first, then compare with what the inquisition gave me.

AFB right now but initial impressions can be affected by charm correct?
First Impression Charm
[roll1] TN 93
Trying to get him to go along with my requests charm
[roll2] TN 93

ArcturusV
2014-10-03, 07:37 PM
On Ship

Just going to presume he agrees to go and heads on down. I don't like Time Paradox RPage if I can help it.

Down the Planet, Out in the Streets

Jonah once again traveled apparently unarmed. Though this time he did wear armor. Resplendent armor, carapace that bore the markings of purity and righteous war and hate of the Imperium, blessed by the Saints, handed down through countless generations, and now in the hands of this large priest who wore it like a second skin, his Aquila Necklace hanging openly as if it were a target on the chest for some distant enemy... and a sign to his friends that he did not fear that enemy.

He let the Lord-Captain take the lead with the Planet's General, eyes watching both of them, interested, listening, clearly approachable in his own way, but standing aside to let the two figures do their part until the Lord-Captain stopped, a faint smile on his face.

"Of course, while here I'm sure we will do what we can to help your position here as well, no true faithful child of the God-Emperor would deign to choose to abandon those who need them, unless more pressing matters present themselves. While the Lord-Captain will undoubtedly be a busy man in the short term, there is most likely something the rest of us may do. New sermons to lift the souls of your weary men perhaps? There is a tendency for the weak of Faith to... grow numb to the same preachers, the same stories, over and over."

"And I'm sure we could arrange for some of the crew to assist in some labor, perhaps the creation of necessary earth works, or the appeasement of the Emperor's Lasguns, and other such minor tasks that may free up some of your personnel for other, more important and intricate assignments."

It was the role of the 'underling' after all, to be cocky and impulsive, to suggest grander things so the bosses could be more reasonable by comparison, even if they used some of those ideas. Should have been expected from a military man such as the General, or anyone in that position. And should help settle him into the normal dance of diplomacy and negotiation.

Throwing down some Assistance on the Lord-Captain's Charming, which gives him a +10 to his TN, or +1 DoS I suppose on all those successes.

TGFV
2014-10-04, 12:45 AM
On Ship

His ritually blessed armour donned, Sv'ril walks from the navigator's enclave towards the lift to meet with the bridge crew. Normally he would refrain from social meetings, but something of this magnitute may require his presence, and while his contract does not force him to always be at the Captains beck and call, he does prefer to go above and beyond in fulfilling every one he has partaken in.

Leaving the other navigators and their clan servants, guards and staff, he soon takes his place near the captain and boards the ship.

On the "Ground"

Taking the room and the General in, Sv'ril quickly assesses the aether of the room, making sure it is clean, and takes himself a seat doing the best to keep his bodies slightly off way of moving as unnoticeable as possible, quite content to leave the talking to the other, more diplomatic, command staff members until he is needed.