PDA

View Full Version : Erudite Unique Powers Per Day Question

TeslaJr
2014-08-03, 11:21 PM
Unique Powers per Day: An erudite manifests psionic powers, paying for each manifestation with an expenditure of power points. Unlike a psion, an erudite is limited to manifesting a certain number of unique psionic powers of each level per day from, the repertoire of powers he knows, according to his class level.

Does this mean an Erudite has a certain number of powers he can use for each power level, or a total number of powers he can use per day? Take a 20th level Erudite. The Table says he has 11 UPPD, so does this mean he can manifest 11 different 1st level powers, 11 different 2nd level powers, and so on, or does it mean he can only manifest 11 different powers total?

Rubik
2014-08-03, 11:25 PM
Does this mean an Erudite has a certain number of powers he can use for each power level, or a total number of powers he can use per day? Take a 20th level Erudite. The Table says he has 11 UPPD, so does this mean he can manifest 11 different 1st level powers, 11 different 2nd level powers, and so on, or does it mean he can only manifest 11 different powers total?It depends on the definition they mean of the word 'level.' It's either per power level or per character- or class-level. If it's the former, they get 99 powers they can use per day at 20th level. If it's the latter, they get 220 powers they can use per day at 20th level. In no possible interpretation of the text can they only have 11 powers they can manifest per day at level 20.

TeslaJr
2014-08-03, 11:35 PM
Okay, that makes more sense. I got the 11 per day number from a thread I read while researching Erudites, and I guess I got tripped up by the table.

Rubik
2014-08-03, 11:40 PM
Okay, that makes more sense. I got the 11 per day number from a thread I read while researching Erudites, and I guess I got tripped up by the table.Since the text says "powers of each level," I'm certain that it means "power level," rather than the other one. Others aren't so sure, though I'm not sure why.

Flickerdart
2014-08-03, 11:49 PM
I'm personally convinced that the writers meant to say 11 unique powers per day total (matching with the Wilder's powers known progression). 11 powers per power level per day (or even more ridiculous, per character level per day) just doesn't seem like any sort of limit at all.

But RAW is RAW.

HunterOfJello
2014-08-04, 12:36 AM
The table implies that you get a total of 11 unique powers per day total. This is also what was most likely designed to be the mechanic for the class anyway.

It makes no sense for the Wilder to have 11 unique powers per day (since that's all they know), the Psion to have 36, and the Erudite to have 99 (or 220).

Text does trump table, but for most DMs the RAI for Erudite heavily trumps their RAW. It would be cool if there was some sort of appropriate version of the Erudite that operated like a Spirit Shaman does (something like 2-3 unique powers per day per level), but that's how things were set up.