PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help Me Design a Fortress-Temple

Altaria87
2014-08-04, 09:53 AM
So my PCs have just got a quest to steal a Ring of Avernus (gives the wearer various war-themed evil powers, contains a fragment of Bel's own power) form the general of an Archdevil-worshipping kingdom. After getting past the border and stopping for some side activities, they're nearing the fortress where the ring is held. Now I realise I'm drawing a complete mental block on how to design the place.

The basic idea is that it's a standard castle atop a hill, except inside the castle walls is a secondary set of walls, inside which is a temple of Bel, doubling as the castle's keep. Inside the outer walls are just a few normal things to have in a castle, as well as a few avenues into the temple itself, such as a bridge from the outer to the inner walls, a sewer system and a point on the walls where someone carelessly left a ladder. So what I need is interesting rooms, puzzles, traps or other forms of obstacle to put inside the temple. Ideally, these rooms could have different contents depending on the situation, whether the party are undetected, if the alarm's been raised, or if the party are coming back after a first attempt where they raised the alarm, so the fortress is on higher alert.

Edit: Forgot to mention party power to put it into context. We're playing Legend, so roughly equivalent to 3.5 Tier 3 power levels. Party is level 7, and consists of, in 3.5e terms, a Paladin of Io, a Vampire Rogue, a Killoren Necromancer, a Warforged Barbarian and an Elf Favoured Soul (healbot-style).

I would appreciate any help or ideas, thanks in advance!