PDA

View Full Version : Camouflage Netting = Hide in Plain Sight?

Kevingway
2014-08-04, 02:49 PM
So, in looking through Heroes of Battle, I found this nifty little device, as I'll call it, that allows you to hide as long as you don't move more than 5 ft.

That's it. That's all it says. Of course, you need the right blanket draped over your head at all times for the particular climate and whatnot, but that's easy enough to manage.

As the title implies, does this mean that this 25gp blanket is essentially a free Hide in Plain Sight that can be used on any turn you wish as long as you haven't moved? (I'd even argue you can attack and do it just because you haven't used a move action in that turn.)

Zombimode
2014-08-04, 02:58 PM
Using a Camouflage Netting removes the need for cover or concealment for hiding - nothing else. You still need to be unobserved.

as long as you don't move more than 5 ft.

Wrong. ANY movement will break the cover.

Darrin
2014-08-04, 03:00 PM
As the title implies, does this mean that this 25gp blanket is essentially a free Hide in Plain Sight that can be used on any turn you wish as long as you haven't moved? (I'd even argue you can attack and do it just because you haven't used a move action in that turn.)

Two problems with this:

1) It's terrain-specific. Forest camo won't work in a desert, or underground, etc.

2) You still can't hide if you're being observed. This netting takes care of the cover/concealment requirement, but you still need to break LOS to your target in order to make a Hide check.

Hamste
2014-08-04, 03:06 PM
Use the bluff skill to make them look away and then when they look back you are hiding underneath a random blanket. No one will ever think to look under it. Bonus points if it isn't even camouflage netting, you just put a blanket on your head.

Kevingway
2014-08-04, 03:07 PM
Wrong. ANY movement will break the cover.

I associate "remaining stationary" with standing still. The example they provide means that even if you move as little as five ft., you break the concealment. That's a hard one to decipher.

A simple bluff check can cover the observation issue.

Zombimode
2014-08-04, 03:14 PM
A simple bluff check can cover the observation issue.

How, exactly?

Edit: ah, its a use of the Bluff skill. That takes a standard action.

Shinken
2014-08-04, 03:17 PM
Use the bluff skill to make them look away and then when they look back you are hiding underneath a random blanket. No one will ever think to look under it. Bonus points if it isn't even camouflage netting, you just put a blanket on your head.

Obviously, you should use a cardboard box.

Curmudgeon
2014-08-04, 03:41 PM
Ever since Monty Python's Flying Circus, I've thought the portable bush was the best accessory if you're working on How Not to be Seen. (Just beware of artillery.) :smallbiggrin:

Kevingway
2014-08-04, 06:34 PM
For practical applications, what would be some ways that one could distract his opponents other than bluff? Specifically distracting them for the purposes of hiding in plain sight, that is.

Chronos
2014-08-04, 07:01 PM
If you have a good source of concealment and a high enough Hide check, you don't even need the distraction: Start the encounter hidden, accept the penalty while attacking or otherwise acting to remain hidden, and you'll never be observed because nobody ever sees you to begin with.