PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Ways of Actually Pulling Off "Sir Bearington"

supersonic29
2014-08-04, 04:44 PM
I'm sure most everyone here knows the story (http://imgur.com/r/195/6aGwHqf). Maybe not a bear exclusively, but how efficiently do you think you could pull off the sir bearington thing? I always felt, while I loved the story, it had to be embellished or leniently DM'd. I think you'd have to

A.) Pull off the disguise reliably from level 1
B.) Avoid outright using a disguise/alter self spell (including magical speaking like tongues)
C.) Maintain being something you could play off as a night, not a full on caster or anything like that

Heck, what animals might be better than bear?

Post some rough build ideas I guess, I'm sure it'll be fun to compare them :smallsmile:. Bonus points for actually pulling it off while being a Knight/Fighter or something similar instead of a Rogue like the original guy did.

Sith_Happens
2014-08-04, 04:55 PM
First off, you need to either be Awakened or otherwise have your Intelligence raised past 2, since INT 3 is the minimum for almost everything you need to actually be a player character. As a bonus, by the rules anything with INT 3+ can speak at least one language unless specified otherwise, so you don't actually need the interpreter.

AMFV
2014-08-04, 05:00 PM
I'm sure most everyone here knows the story (http://imgur.com/r/195/6aGwHqf). Maybe not a bear exclusively, but how efficiently do you think you could pull off the sir bearington thing? I always felt, while I loved the story, it had to be embellished or leniently DM'd. I think you'd have to

A.) Pull off the disguise reliably from level 1
B.) Avoid outright using a disguise/alter self spell (including magical speaking like tongues)
C.) Maintain being something you could play off as a night, not a full on caster or anything like that

Heck, what animals might be better than bear?

Post some rough build ideas I guess, I'm sure it'll be fun to compare them :smallsmile:. Bonus points for actually pulling it off while being a Knight/Fighter or something similar instead of a Rogue like the original guy did.

Well the first problem is that "Faking a language" isn't actually a use of bluff as far as I can see. So we'd need to figure out the DC of that, and I assume we'd been into epic level usage right there (which is attainable pre-epic) just not easily.

Also you'd have the problem that even with a Rogue's skills a bear's bad Int is going to be very, very hard to overcome, so literally at the end all you have is those skills. It's probably better just to take a template that gives you tongues.

Probably the best bet is to take 1 skill rank in Speak Language (Common), which Bears are allowed to take, since there is no prohibition against it.

Vhaidara
2014-08-04, 05:12 PM
Well the first problem is that "Faking a language" isn't actually a use of bluff as far as I can see. So we'd need to figure out the DC of that, and I assume we'd been into epic level usage right there (which is attainable pre-epic) just not easily.

Well no, you lie to them that you're speaking common. Doesn't put them in any harm, so they get no bonus :smalltongue:

Segev
2014-08-04, 05:15 PM
Perhaps play a Druid with a Bear animal companion, and as the druid, you play the butler? Though a bear is still out of reach for a level 1 druid...

AMFV
2014-08-04, 05:16 PM
Although it's later level I feel I should plug my favorite Prestige Class of all-time, The Sentinal of Bharrai, not only do you get to be a bear, but a talking bear, for as long as you want, as many times a day as you want.

Invader
2014-08-04, 07:12 PM
Although it's later level I feel I should plug my favorite Prestige Class of all-time, The Sentinal of Bharrai, not only do you get to be a bear, but a talking bear, for as long as you want, as many times a day as you want.

Also one of my favorites if for nothing else but calvary of dire bears I just wish the class wasn't so bad overall.

CombatOwl
2014-08-04, 07:15 PM
Well no, you lie to them that you're speaking common. Doesn't put them in any harm, so they get no bonus :smalltongue:

Totally valid interpretation of bluff.

Anachronity
2014-08-04, 07:56 PM

This is exactly the sort of nonsensical logic that allows a bear to disguise itself as a human in the first place, so I like it. Half the charm of Sir Bearington is that he can't actually speak common.

Our bear is a 1st level binder, and binds Naberius: He can take a 10 on Bluff checks and use Disguise Self at will. He can also make a pretty hefty number of untrained profession checks as though trained due to his high constitution modifier. While Naberius is bound his voice is deeper (as if anyone would notice) and if he makes a bad pact he craves the spotlight (doesn't he already?). Disguise self will be hard-pressed to do the job by itself, but it goes a long way towards helping (we all know that bears can walk bipedal, so the body type doesn't need to be changed :smallbiggrin:).

What few skillpoints he has will need to go towards Bluff and Disguise. The type of bear is unspecified, but Polar is the best since more hit dice means more skill points and feats. However, a brown bear fits the concept better.

For feats...
-Nymph's Kiss at 1st level is entirely justifiable (forest creature) and a perfect pick. That's a +2 on Cha-based checks and an additional skillpoint per level after intelligence penalties, meaning he gets 2 per level.
-Deceitful gives a +2 to both our skills, and we're pretty hungry for bonuses.
-Skill Focus (Disguise) is probably preferable to Bluff, since Naberius makes the Bluff checks more consistent.

Since a monster's class skills are arbitrarily determined based on need it is clear that, as a covert agent animal, Sir Bearington needs Bluff and Disguise, making them class skills. That puts his modifiers at...

Bluff (10 ranks): +12 (can take a 22 even if stressed/threatened)
Disguise (7 ranks): +12 (+22 with disguise self) that's a 23 minimum check

He can also make checks as though trained in Knowledge (nobility) and three profession skills of his choice.

All of this is for a standard bear. We all know Sir Bearington is most certainly extraordinary, so an Elite array should knock both Bluff and Disguise up another two points.

The only real flaw is the abysmal DC on Disguise Self, but physical contact wouldn't be too common, I would imagine. Unfortunately NPC aristocrats have Will as a high save, but that's still a 35% chance to keep the disguise. The best part is that unless he rolls terribly he can probably keep up the disguise even without disguise self.

The Random NPC
2014-08-04, 08:00 PM
Another hole in the plan, your race is a single Knowledge (Nature) roll away.

Anachronity
2014-08-04, 08:02 PM

not much of a hole.

1st: what sort of aristocrat has knowledge: nature?
2nd: how are they going to make the knowledge check through the illusion?

Vhaidara
2014-08-04, 08:03 PM

False! Bears do not fall under Knowledge(Nature), they fall under Knowledge(Bear Lore)

Actually False: Bluff check. "No, I'm not a bear, are you mad?

Doc_Maynot
2014-08-04, 08:15 PM
False! Bears do not fall under Knowledge(Nature), they fall under Knowledge(Bear Lore)

Actually False: Bluff check. "No, I'm not a bear, are you mad?

Don't you mean, "Bluff check. 'Rawr, rawr rawr, rawr?'"

jiriku
2014-08-04, 08:19 PM
Perhaps play a Druid with a Bear animal companion, and as the druid, you play the butler? Though a bear is still out of reach for a level 1 druid...

Better still, play a bear druid with a "human companion" ACF. He shall be your butler.

Vhaidara
2014-08-04, 08:20 PM
Don't you mean, "Bluff check. 'Rawr, rawr rawr, rawr?'"

I inserted the butler's translation for simplicity.

SoraWolf7
2014-08-04, 08:29 PM
Don't fake a language. Get Drow Sign Language instead. Make your Butler a lesser Drow, and now it's a legit translator.

Vhaidara
2014-08-04, 08:34 PM
Don't fake a language. Get Drow Sign Language instead. Make your Butler a lesser Drow, and now it's a legit translator.

You miss the point of Sir Bearington. If you speak a language, it isn't Sir Bearington.

It defeats the purpose in the same way that using Pun-Pun to accomplish any build in the game does: Ignoring one of the major goals.

AMFV
2014-08-04, 08:39 PM
Also one of my favorites if for nothing else but calvary of dire bears I just wish the class wasn't so bad overall.

It's not bad, Warlocks can qualify for it easily. It advances casting but requires none. A three level dip for a melee is pretty amazing. It works wonders as a disguise since it can remain in bear shape indefinitely (that combined with a few casting hiding Sleight of Hand tricks can hide you quite well). Nature's Veil is an untyped Bonus to hide, which stacks with a Polar Bear's untyped bonus to hide in wintery areas. It gets a ton of skill points per level, and has a really good skill list which includes UMD. Best of all it loses absolutely no casting.

supersonic29
2014-08-06, 04:28 PM
This is exactly the sort of nonsensical logic that allows a bear to disguise itself as a human in the first place, so I like it. Half the charm of Sir Bearington is that he can't actually speak common.

Our bear is a 1st level binder, and binds Naberius: He can take a 10 on Bluff checks and use Disguise Self at will. He can also make a pretty hefty number of untrained profession checks as though trained due to his high constitution modifier. While Naberius is bound his voice is deeper (as if anyone would notice) and if he makes a bad pact he craves the spotlight (doesn't he already?). Disguise self will be hard-pressed to do the job by itself, but it goes a long way towards helping (we all know that bears can walk bipedal, so the body type doesn't need to be changed :smallbiggrin:).

What few skillpoints he has will need to go towards Bluff and Disguise. The type of bear is unspecified, but Polar is the best since more hit dice means more skill points and feats. However, a brown bear fits the concept better.

For feats...
-Nymph's Kiss at 1st level is entirely justifiable (forest creature) and a perfect pick. That's a +2 on Cha-based checks and an additional skillpoint per level after intelligence penalties, meaning he gets 2 per level.
-Deceitful gives a +2 to both our skills, and we're pretty hungry for bonuses.
-Skill Focus (Disguise) is probably preferable to Bluff, since Naberius makes the Bluff checks more consistent.

Since a monster's class skills are arbitrarily determined based on need it is clear that, as a covert agent animal, Sir Bearington needs Bluff and Disguise, making them class skills. That puts his modifiers at...

Bluff (10 ranks): +12 (can take a 22 even if stressed/threatened)
Disguise (7 ranks): +12 (+22 with disguise self) that's a 23 minimum check

He can also make checks as though trained in Knowledge (nobility) and three profession skills of his choice.

All of this is for a standard bear. We all know Sir Bearington is most certainly extraordinary, so an Elite array should knock both Bluff and Disguise up another two points.

The only real flaw is the abysmal DC on Disguise Self, but physical contact wouldn't be too common, I would imagine. Unfortunately NPC aristocrats have Will as a high save, but that's still a 35% chance to keep the disguise. The best part is that unless he rolls terribly he can probably keep up the disguise even without disguise self.

I really like this because after the first level of Binder you can roll into whatever knight appropriate class you please - Knight, Fighter, Paladin, etc. Using illusion for the disguise is sad because it takes away the comedy of people falling for a bear wearing armor being a hairy man, but when the abysmal skill points come in combined with a desire to take one of the aforementioned classes, it can't be passed up now can it? :smallsmile:

Fax Celestis
2014-08-06, 04:39 PM
I really like this because after the first level of Binder you can roll into whatever knight appropriate class you please - Knight, Fighter, Paladin, etc. Using illusion for the disguise is sad because it takes away the comedy of people falling for a bear wearing armor being a hairy man, but when the abysmal skill points come in combined with a desire to take one of the aforementioned classes, it can't be passed up now can it? :smallsmile:

A level of Factotum will give you all skills as class skills, which you can use to beef up your Disguise somewhat. Take another one and you can use your Arcane Dilettante to get disguise self.

Kurald Galain
2014-08-06, 04:47 PM
Our bear is a 1st level binder, and binds Naberius:

Please tell me you meant Nabearius...

squidpope
2014-08-06, 04:55 PM
Perhaps I'm way off base here, as I'm rather new to this game in general, but couldn't we just cast awaken on a bear to get his INT and CHA up to snuff?

AMFV
2014-08-06, 04:57 PM
Perhaps I'm way off base here, as I'm rather new to this game in general, but couldn't we just cast awaken on a bear to get his INT and CHA up to snuff?

Yes, but it's kind of a "cheap" way to do it, and it kind of winds up being something different. The point here is that Sir Bearington is just a really talented bear, awakening makes him into a magical talking bear, which is something different altogether.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-06, 05:01 PM
Wouldn't wishing a regular bear to get a +1 INT do it? Or giving it a collar of comprehend languages and a tome of clear thought +1?

#moneySolvesAllProblems

supersonic29
2014-08-06, 05:09 PM
Wouldn't wishing a regular bear to get a +1 INT do it? Or giving it a collar of comprehend languages and a tome of clear thought +1?

#moneySolvesAllProblems

I think the moment you let a bear take class levels like Binder you can assume he comprehends languages, he just doesn't have the physical ability to speak them.

Edit: Also, I was mulling over the int issue, since he's a PC he rolls ability scores, even with -8 int you just drop an 18 there and bam 10 int, no penalty.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-06, 05:14 PM
I think the moment you let a bear take class levels like Binder you can assume he comprehends languages, he just doesn't have the physical ability to speak them.

Edit: Also, I was mulling over the int issue, since he's a PC he rolls ability scores, even with -8 int you just drop an 18 there and bam 10 int, no penalty.

Oh, no, I was meaning in getting a generic, straight-from-the-MM bear to get the ability to take class levels.

ddude987
2014-08-06, 06:30 PM
I have always liked the idea of sir bearington did the story actually originate on 4chan?

tis a sad day when the arts and oc of 4chan end up on reddit and is imgur

Oddman80
2014-08-06, 08:00 PM
According to RAW bears are animals, and all animals have INT = 2. Not sure if its RAW or not, but I've always played that a PC cannot have any single ability less than 3. Having scoured through all the 1st party templates, it looks like the only way to achieve this is to make the bear be a Voidmind (mind flayer victim). This adds 2 to the INT score, and the bear gets to stay an animal. Other than 4 small holes in its head (concealed by hat or helmet), nobody would notice anything other than a normal bear...

The voidmind being in charge of it even provides the fluff behind Sir Bearingtons elaborate, non-bear-like plan.

malonkey1
2014-08-06, 08:40 PM
According to RAW bears are animals, and all animals have INT = 2. Not sure if its RAW or not, but I've always played that a PC cannot have any single ability less than 3. Having scoured through all the 1st party templates, it looks like the only way to achieve this is to make the bear be a Voidmind (mind flayer victim). This adds 2 to the INT score, and the bear gets to stay an animal. Other than 4 small holes in its head (concealed by hat or helmet), nobody would notice anything other than a normal bear...

The voidmind being in charge of it even provides the fluff behind Sir Bearingtons elaborate, non-bear-like plan.

Or, you could just be the subject of a friendly Druid's awaken (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/awaken.htm) spell.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-06, 09:23 PM
Or like I said: collar of comprehend languages and a tome of clear thought +1.

malonkey1
2014-08-06, 09:25 PM
Or like I said: collar of comprehend languages and a tome of clear thought +1.

You have to be literate to read, and you have to read the tome of clear thought +1, and you have to be sentient to be literate.

AMFV
2014-08-06, 09:30 PM
You have to be literate to read, and you have to read the tome of clear thought +1, and you have to be sentient to be literate.

Wait do you have to be sentient to be literate? I'm not sure that's explicitly spelled out. You should be able to get a magical + competency item that would give you a bonus to Speak Language, that should make you literate. Then you can read the tome, and function without the item.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-06, 09:33 PM
The comprehend languages spell:

You can understand the spoken words of creatures or read otherwise incomprehensible written messages. In either case, you must touch the creature or the writing. The ability to read does not necessarily impart insight into the material, merely its literal meaning. The spell enables you to understand or read an unknown language, not speak or write it.

supersonic29
2014-08-07, 01:01 AM
Oh, no, I was meaning in getting a generic, straight-from-the-MM bear to get the ability to take class levels.

Bearington being a PC would just roll at a -8 though, right? What you're going for sounds like a bassline NPC Bearington, which sounds like more difficulty.

Zombimode
2014-08-07, 01:51 AM
Bearington being a PC would just roll at a -8 though, right? What you're going for sounds like a bassline NPC Bearington, which sounds like more difficulty.

No, a standard bear is simply not possible to take as a player race because of Int 2.

But really, this is not the only hole in this admittedly amusing concept. It is debatable if "faking to speak a language" is actually a valid use of the bluff skill. There is no DC given for a bear disguising as a humanoid creature, but changing height/weight by 11% 25% imposes a -25 penalty, anything above its -50.

Communication is also an issue. The trick of having an translator doesn't work since bears don't speak a language. Thus, nobody can simply learn Speak Language (Bear) because there is no such language.

And thats just from a cursory glance at the subject. I'm sure there are more holes if you look more closely.

CommandTortoise
2014-08-07, 02:00 AM
There is no DC given for a bear disguising as a humanoid creature, but changing height/weight by 11% 25% imposes a -25 penalty, anything above its -50.
Ah, but what if he just skipped that step so as to disguise himself as an exceptionally large and heavy human male? A gentleman should have a certain gravitas, after all. Disguising as another race is just a -2.

This logic is, of course, ridiculous. But that's fitting, I'd say.

Zombimode
2014-08-07, 02:06 AM
This logic is, of course, ridiculous. But that's fitting, I'd say.

Maybe I misunderstood the purpose of the thread, but since it is titled "ways of actually pulling off sir bearington" I thought it was about how to do it without ignoring or bending any rules. Because if rules don't matter, the original concept is fine.

AMFV
2014-08-07, 08:16 AM
No, a standard bear is simply not possible to take as a player race because of Int 2.

But really, this is not the only hole in this admittedly amusing concept. It is debatable if "faking to speak a language" is actually a valid use of the bluff skill. There is no DC given for a bear disguising as a humanoid creature, but changing height/weight by 11% 25% imposes a -25 penalty, anything above its -50.

Communication is also an issue. The trick of having an translator doesn't work since bears don't speak a language. Thus, nobody can simply learn Speak Language (Bear) because there is no such language.

And thats just from a cursory glance at the subject. I'm sure there are more holes if you look more closely.

All we need to do is get the intelligence to 3, at which point it can take standard skills. Then it can understand common (which Sir Bearington was able to do), and it communicates, not by bluffing to people around it, but by bluffing to it's translator, since communicating a secret message is not language dependent. Sir Bearington himself is just stoic and quiet.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-07, 08:59 AM
...which is what I've been doing.

AMFV
2014-08-07, 09:09 AM
...which is what I've been doing.

Right, I was responding to the claim that the whole thing was impossible. So far I think we've got a tome of clear thought, either through Comprehend Languages or through a skill boosting item of Speak Language.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-07, 09:51 AM
Or a targeted wish.

AMFV
2014-08-07, 10:14 AM
Or a targeted wish.

Well we're still in mid level ranges, we should probably try to get it as low as possible by having the monetary value be lower. I think what we could do is immediately before he reaches level four, so we start with a black bear (which helps since we also can have a lower disguise check since black bears are within the range of believable human weight.

We then work with the bear till he is a few experience away from level four, at this point we give the bear a potion of fox's cunning (this would have to written into a backstory since bears do not qualify as player characters), however once he drinks the potion he think has an intelligence of 7 and qualifies as a player character. At this point the player then takes over the bear and does whatever is necessary to level him before the potion wears off. Since he still qualifies as a player character at this point the player can raise his intelligence (to temporarily 8, then as he crashes, his intelligence will remain 3, allowing him to remain a player character despite not being truly awakened).

So now we have an intelligence bear with 4 HD, which is pretty snazzy. However Sir Bearington has no levels of bear, he has levels of rogue, so we need to get rid of those. Fortunately level drain does not remove ability gains for hit dice... which means that we can safely level drain Sir Bearington to 1 Bear HD, and then go from there as a Player character.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-07, 10:21 AM
Well we're still in mid level ranges, we should probably try to get it as low as possible by having the monetary value be lower. I think what we could do is immediately before he reaches level four, so we start with a black bear (which helps since we also can have a lower disguise check since black bears are within the range of believable human weight.

The price of one casting of wish is (Spell Level * Caster Level * 10) + (XP Cost * 25)

(9*17*10) + (5000*25)
or
126530gp

...which is substantially more than a tome of clear thought +1 (27500gp) plus a custom item of continuous comprehend languages (Spell Level * Caster Level * 2000 * Duration Modifier, or 1*1*2000*1.5, or 3000gp).

Muggins
2014-08-07, 10:31 AM
In case anybody isn't aware, Sir Bearington is an Awakened Bear Rogue (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=9788572&postcount=716) from our very forums. He predates the 4chan post. :smallwink:

Moving on from that, there's the question of how to actually make him work as a character. A good enough disguise check would let him pass himself off as a humanoid, and a good bluff check would let him pass off his growling as an unintelligible language. Truthfully, I don't even see the bluff check as being necessary; you're still disguised as a human.

As you were.

AMFV
2014-08-07, 10:37 AM
The price of one casting of wish is (Spell Level * Caster Level * 10) + (XP Cost * 25)

(9*17*10) + (5000*25)
or
126530gp

...which is substantially more than a tome of clear thought +1 (27500gp) plus a custom item of continuous comprehend languages (Spell Level * Caster Level * 2000 * Duration Modifier, or 1*1*2000*1.5, or 3000gp).

Which is still more expensive than one Potion of Fox's Cunning and losing a fight with a vampire. That's probably doable at level one depending on the LA of a bear.

ddude987
2014-08-07, 12:07 PM
In case anybody isn't aware, Sir Bearington is an Awakened Bear Rogue (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=9788572&postcount=716) from our very forums. He predates the 4chan post. :smallwink:

Next you'll tell me giantitp forum has greentext

>never knew there was greentext
>finds out greentext
>has life crisis
>lifewasted

lytokk
2014-08-07, 12:11 PM
I don't know if its been mentioned, but Sir Bearington's Butler should always be in full uniform, including a top hat. If the butler is not wearing his hat, sir bearington will not even speak with the butler, only growl at him, until the hat is put on. The hat is a magic item of continuous "speak with animals" cast on it. Low level spell, so it shouldn't be too expensive to make. No new language learning required.

supersonic29
2014-08-07, 12:58 PM
Hm. We've run through a lot of ways to magically alter the bear itself permanently, templates and tomes and whatnot, to give it the int boost. What if you had the bear stumble into a magic item, say a helmet, which gives an int boost while worn. That'd be a good backstory too imo, rather than a bear was given a potion that let him level and take a level and boost his int or a potion that let him read a book, etc.

Oddman80
2014-08-07, 01:05 PM
the problem i have with relyingon spells being cast on the bear is that... WHY? it requires another npc to do something for the bear, and a pc can't rely on that.

as far as the super expensive items that grant the higher intelligence, how is the bear gaining the higher levels of WBL if he cannot take adventuring classes? he would be stuck as a 1 RHD bear in perpetuity.

I am still assuming that without an INT score of 3 he cannot take a class level. The Mindflayer and Vampire attacks are possible - and a little more likely than just hoping a druid casts a spell on him. But what is in a bear's nature? If we go grizzly bear (brown bear), then it would not be out of the realm of possibilities that he may attack a sleeping camper. might such a camper be wearing a +2 headband of wisdom, the bear could accidentally end up with it on its head...

the potion of fox's cunning is only good, if it allows him in the time that it is active to think ofa way to maintain that level of intelligence. otherwise, as soon as it wears off - he's just a bear again...

story/fluff thoughts?

supersonic29
2014-08-07, 01:17 PM
The headband thing is basically what I figured. He could also find the headband, helmet, or whatever he stumbles into on a corpse of some fallen adventurer in the woods.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-07, 01:24 PM
A temporary magical effect (like a headband of intellect +2) wouldn't give him languages, though. Well, it's sort of a gray area, but since it's not a permanent adjustment he wouldn't learn any new languages (just like a wizard with 18 int that puts on a headband of intellect +4 doesn't gain 2 new languages).

AMFV
2014-08-07, 01:43 PM
The headband thing is basically what I figured. He could also find the headband, helmet, or whatever he stumbles into on a corpse of some fallen adventurer in the woods.
Also the headband is temporary, and requires more gold as opposed to the potion, then use stat boost at level.

supersonic29
2014-08-07, 02:11 PM
I wasn't suggesting it would give language, but the requirement to be a PC is just int 3+, correct? And also the gold is not preferable at all, the headband was an alternate idea proposed for it's higher plausibility :smallsmile:

Hazrond
2014-08-07, 02:14 PM
Guys, make the butler an artificer cohort with a pearl of speech (bear) from MiC

AMFV
2014-08-07, 05:57 PM
I wasn't suggesting it would give language, but the requirement to be a PC is just int 3+, correct? And also the gold is not preferable at all, the headband was an alternate idea proposed for it's higher plausibility :smallsmile:

The problem is that the headband costs 4k Gold, and has to be found and purchased. A potion of fox's cunning costs 300 Gold. And black bears (the bear with the lowest HD) are one level before having four HD worth of levels at which point they can gain an attribute point.

So you give the bear the potion before it levels, so then it can be a player character at that point, the player assigns the attribute point to intelligence. Then the potion isn't necessary any more, after it wears off the player still has the character since it has over 3 intelligence (well exactly 3).

At this point the player then gets into a fight with a wight or a vampire, which drains three levels. He voluntarily fails the saves. Now he's appropriate as a second level character (I assume that a bear is worth at least LA: 1, although playing with the normal array would offset that quite a bit). Basically the point is to write this into your backstory, since it works RAW. So now you have a bear that has 1 bear HD (You're stuck with that), and can advance as a player character, it also retains it's 3 intelligence, since level drain does not remove ability score jumps.

Guys, make the butler an artificer cohort with a pearl of speech (bear) from MiC

Once the bear has intelligence it can bluff to communicate a message, that's a fixed DC and isn't speech dependent so you don't need the pearl at that point. Also once the bear has intelligence it can RAW understand common.

Hazrond
2014-08-07, 06:12 PM
Once the bear has intelligence it can bluff to communicate a message, that's a fixed DC and isn't speech dependent so you don't need the pearl at that point. Also once the bear has intelligence it can RAW understand common.

The thing is, he can bluff to make them think he's speaking common but they can't understand him, it's why he has the butler translator

Oddman80
2014-08-07, 06:23 PM
I don't think that is how it works. The potion would last less than ten minutes. But the bear can't take its first adventuring level until it has enough XP to level up based on ECL. An out of the book brown bear has 6RHD. So it wouldn't be able to take its first adventuring level until gaining 21,000 XP. And you can't have him gain XP without being a pc, and he can't be a PC unless he has 3 INT.

That's why we are suggesting things that, while not inherent bonuses, still provide continuous INT bonuses (e.g., headband, etc)

AMFV
2014-08-07, 06:29 PM
I don't think that is how it works. The potion would last less than ten minutes. But the bear can't take its first adventuring level until it has enough XP to level up based on ECL. An out of the book brown bear has 6RHD. So it wouldn't be able to take its first adventuring level until gaining 21,000 XP. And you can't have him gain XP without being a pc, and he can't be a PC unless he has 3 INT.

That's why we are suggesting things that, while not inherent bonuses, still provide continuous INT bonuses (e.g., headband, etc)

That's why I suggested the black bear...

Oddman80
2014-08-07, 06:58 PM
That's why I suggested the black bear...

Ok.... ( though everyone knows sir bearington is brown bear)... But the problem hasn't changed. You still need the bear to gain 6000 XP before the potion wears off (10 minutes!) in order to gain a level.

So, how exactly is finding a potion, drinking it, and earning 6000 XP in 10 minutes, a better/more easy to believe background than the bear found a headband of intelligence, and it got stuck on his paw... So long as he has it, he's a playable character.

malonkey1
2014-08-07, 07:39 PM
Anybody realize that the story of Sir Bearing ton plays out almost exactly like a "Chicken Boo" short from Animaniacs?

AMFV
2014-08-07, 08:27 PM
Ok.... ( though everyone knows sir bearington is brown bear)... But the problem hasn't changed. You still need the bear to gain 6000 XP before the potion wears off (10 minutes!) in order to gain a level.

So, how exactly is finding a potion, drinking it, and earning 6000 XP in 10 minutes, a better/more easy to believe background than the bear found a headband of intelligence, and it got stuck on his paw... So long as he has it, he's a playable character.

The idea is that the character has earned the experience as an NPC or as a cohort... Then it's given the potion immediately to prior to leveling. Bears after all can still earn experience they just aren't allowed to be player characters, nothing forbids them from being cohorts or what-not, or from earning experience.

Suichimo
2014-08-07, 09:13 PM

I just read through this thread and, as a connosieur of fine puns, am saddened that no one has commented on this brilliant fish pun in a bear thread.

That's all, I have nothing to actually contribute other than my disappointment.

AMFV
2014-08-07, 09:17 PM
I just read through this thread and, as a connosieur of fine puns, am saddened that no one has commented on this brilliant fish pun in a bear thread.

I'm sorry sir, none of us would rise to that clear attempt to bait us.

malonkey1
2014-08-07, 10:07 PM
I'm sorry sir, none of us would rise to that clear attempt to bait us.

Don't say "master baiter", Don't say "master baiter", Don't say "master baiter", Don't say "master baiter", Don't say "master baiter", Don't say "master baiter", Don't say "master baiter", Don't say "master baiter", Don't say "master baiter", Don't say "master baiter", Don't say "master baiter", Don't say "master baiter", Don't say "master baiter", Don't say "master baiter", Don't say "master baiter", Don't say "master baiter", Don't say "master baiter"

Yes, well your concerns about that have been a-baited.

supersonic29
2014-08-07, 10:30 PM

Unintended, but not unappreciated.

Immabozo
2014-08-08, 12:05 AM
Anthropomarphic Brown Bear, bearbearian (bear totem barbarian), bear warrior, with a bear mount, bear animal companion, with vow of poverty, because you only need the bear essentials, fighting with nothing but your bear hands and the only thing that that truly drives you, is fighting for your right to bear arms. And you only talk in bear puns, it bears repeating, only bear puns. Your group will bearly stand it. You will bearly be able to contain your laughter as your group groans, bearly able to take your puns.