PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Artificer Crafting Clarification

DragonSinged
2014-08-04, 07:45 PM
I'm playing a heavily crafting-focused artificer in a game with some friends, as documented here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?346305-Journal-of-Alistair-Rhodes
and I wanted to make sure that I'm actually applying my cost reductions in the correct order. I've read through the Cost Reduction Handbook (multiple times) but while that does a good job of listing lots of different reductions, it doesn't really say much about how they really apply, or provide examples.

My character, Alistair, is currently a 4th level human artificer, and the feats he has that apply are Legendary Artisan and Extraordinary Artisan, which say

When determining your XP cost for creating any magic item, reduce the base cost by 25%.
And

When determining the gold piece cost in raw materials you need to craft any item, reduce the base price by 25%.

Now I'm not certain if this is the most relevant page to quote, but the DMG page 283 says

Magic supplies for items are always half of the base price in gp and 1/25 of the base price in XP. For many items, the market price equals the base price. For example, a cloak of elvenkind has a market price (and base price) of 2,500 gp. Making one costs 1,250 gp in raw materials plus 100 XP.

Now, as an example, if I were crafting a Magic Bedroll, which has a base cost of 500gp, would I reduce the base price by 25% (dropping it to 375gp) and then divide that by 2, for a total of 187.5gp, or would I figure out what all the percentage reductions of the base price equal to, and then subtract them all from the base price? For example 25% of 500 being 125, 50% being 250 for a total reduction of 375, leaving the cost paid at 125gp.

I get the feeling that the second formula, while more beneficial to me, is not the correct way to do it, as it would not work when it comes to the price in XP.
Or is there a third way that I'm just not thinking of?

Thanks for any help!