PDA

View Full Version : MtG - You Make the Card III: Wrath of the Khans

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Androgeus
2014-11-29, 10:34 PM
Wow thanks for the win, and sorry for the delay in responding, started doing night shift and it's messed up my internet checking.

So for a contest how about:
Design a card that is linked to a Legendary/Planeswalker

LaZodiac
2014-11-29, 10:54 PM
Tibalt's Baleful Act 3RR
Sorcery (R)
Each creature deals damage equal to its power to a creature of its controller's choice.
"It's time for a party, and I've brought enough punch for everyone!" - Tibalt

Ionbound
2014-11-29, 11:21 PM
Sorin's Wrath-4WWBB

Sorcery-MR

Destroy all Creatures and Planeswalkers on the battlefield you don't control, then exile all Creatures on the battlefield you don't control.

Enjoy your immortality in my prison. I'll be back in oh, a millennium or so to make sure you haven't gone totally insane. ~Sorin Markov, to an unknown foe.

Retuned the card a bit to make it more black and make the flavor-text more wrathful.

Mystic Muse
2014-11-30, 12:22 AM
Avacyn's Paladin 1W

Creature - Angel Knight (R)

Protection from Black, flying

Creatures you control with indestructible gain flying and vigilance.

Those defended by the angel of hope were lifted on Herons' wings to safety.

2/2

Basically, it works really well if you have out Avacyn, works really well in Knight Tribal, and isn't particularly overpowered for a rare, as the big ability requires you have some very specific cards to make it work. Otherwise, it's an easy to cast 2/2 with flying and protection from Black, which won't exactly stir up any drafts I don't think.

The other reason is that it works really well with Knight exemplar, which is one of my favorite lords.

EDIT: Further justification. These are currently the only non-rare ways to feasibly grant creatures you control indestructible in the game as far as I can see.

http://magiccards.info/som/en/134.html
http://magiccards.info/c13/en/179.html
[http://magiccards.info/m15/en/11.html
http://magiccards.info/bng/en/127.html
http://magiccards.info/rtr/en/19.html

Given that they haven't printed a way to make creatures you control indestructible in draft too easily (Boro charm is the easiest way) short of pulling another rare, I think its power level is safe at rare. Most of the time, it should just be a 2/2 with flying and protection from black.

r2d2go
2014-11-30, 02:37 AM
Koth's Fury 3RR
Sorcery - R
Mountains you control become 4/4 red elemental creatures until end of turn.
Untap target Mountain.
Storm
"When I speak to the mountain, it speaks for me."
- Koth of the Hammer.

Mystic Muse
2014-11-30, 02:40 AM
Koth's Fury 2RR
Sorcery - R
Mountains you control become 4/4 red elemental creatures until end of turn. (It's still a land.)
Untap target Mountain.
Storm (When you cast this spell, copy it for each spell cast before it this turn. You may choose new targets for the copies.)

Is this supposed to be

"Target mountain you contrl becomes a 4/4 red elemental creature until end of turn"

Or

"Mountains you control become 4/4 red elemental creatures until end of turn."

I'm not quite sure which, given that you gave it storm.

r2d2go
2014-11-30, 02:42 AM
Is this supposed to be

"Target mountain you contrl becomes a 4/4 red elemental creature until end of turn"

Or

"Mountains you control become 4/4 red elemental creatures until end of turn."

I'm not quite sure which, given that you gave it storm.

It's exactly what the text says, so the second one. Storm makes the second ability more relevant. Turning your mountains into 4/4s multiple times does nothing after the first time, unless they were Snakeformed or something like that between storm castings.

That said, I'm still fiddling with it.

Androgeus
2014-11-30, 04:10 AM
Tibalt's Baleful Act 3RR
Sorcery (R)
Every creature fights another creature of it's controller's choice.
If all creatures on the battlefield where destroyed by ~, you may put a creature that was destroyed this turn onto the battlefield under your control.
"It's time for a party, and I've brought enough punch for everyone!" - Tibalt, in his soon to be most favorite tavern.

This doesn't work, well at least the rider doesn't. Fight causes damage and damage doesn't kill creatures, state based actions do, which aren't checked until a spell resolves.
Not really sure on a good way to rework the rider maybe "At the beginning of next end step. if all creatures dealt damage this way died this turn, you may one of those creatures onto the battlefield under your control." It's not perfect but meh.

Jormengand
2014-11-30, 10:00 AM
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=74644

That Which Is Given 2WB
Sorcery - R
Exile each permanent with a divinity counter on it.
The gods have no power here.

LaZodiac
2014-11-30, 10:20 AM
This doesn't work, well at least the rider doesn't. Fight causes damage and damage doesn't kill creatures, state based actions do, which aren't checked until a spell resolves.
Not really sure on a good way to rework the rider maybe "At the beginning of next end step. if all creatures dealt damage this way died this turn, you may one of those creatures onto the battlefield under your control." It's not perfect but meh.

I'll work on it. My very first idea was a mass Act of Treason but that already exists. So trying to think of something chaotic and extremely backfire-y if I can (cause that's basically Tibalts thing).

mystic1110
2014-11-30, 09:45 PM
Darien's Herald W
Creature - Human Courtier Soldier C
Whenever a legendary permanent enters the battlefield under your control, put a 1/1 white Courtier creature token onto the battlefield.
The more victories the good king claims, the more sycophants gather at his heels
1/1

r2d2go
2014-12-01, 02:16 AM
I'll work on it. My very first idea was a mass Act of Treason but that already exists. So trying to think of something chaotic and extremely backfire-y if I can (cause that's basically Tibalts thing).

Simpler version (works as intended instead of triggering only at the end step, works within current rules): "Each creature on the battlefield fights another target creature of it's controller's choice.
Then, if there are no creatures on the battlefield, you may put target creature targeted by this spell onto the battlefield under your control."

Pros: Simplest
Cons: Creatures that summon things on-death make the second effect not happen. I think.

"Each creature on the battlefield fights another target creature of it's controller's choice.
Then, if each creature affected by this spell died, you may put target creature that took damage from this spell onto the battlefield under your control."

Pros: Closest to original intent, I think
Cons: "Affected by this spell" is weird, but making it "each creature targeted" is also bad because then any creature that isn't targeted by a fight will technically not be counted.

"Each creature on the battlefield fights another target creature of it's controller's choice.
Then, if each creature damaged by this spell died, you may put target creature that took damage from this spell onto the battlefield under your control."

Pros: Closer to original intent than option 1, no problems whatsoever with Magic syntax or diction.
Cons: If something fights a creature with 0 power, it isn't counted.

Take your pick? :smalltongue: Or something else, I guess.

Edit @below: ...Or you could just cut out the rider effect entirely! :smalltongue: Also an option.

LaZodiac
2014-12-01, 02:17 AM
Simpler version (works as intended instead of triggering only at the end step, works within current rules): "Each creature on the battlefield fights another target creature of it's controller's choice.
Then, if there are no creatures on the battlefield, you may put target creature targeted by this spell onto the battlefield under your control."

Cons: Creatures that summon things on-death make the second effect not happen. I think.

Then, if each creature affected by this spell died, you may put target creature that took damage from this spell onto the battlefield under your control."

Cons: "Affected by this spell" is weird, but making it "each creature targeted" is also bad because then any creature that isn't targeted by a fight will technically not be counted.

Then, if each creature damaged by this spell died, you may put target creature that took damage from this spell onto the battlefield under your control."

Pros: Closer to original intent than option 1

I've gone with something else. Thanks for the help though :smallamused:

Saposhiente
2014-12-01, 02:48 AM
"Deals damage"
Well how much damage eh?

LaZodiac
2014-12-01, 02:50 AM
"Deals damage"
Well how much damage eh?

Oops, my bad. Thanks for that :smallredface:

Beacon of Chaos
2014-12-01, 08:51 AM
Slobad's Ingenuity 4R

Enchantment - Aura R

Enchant Artifact Creature

Sacrfice an artifact: Put two +1/+1 counters on enchanted artifact creature.

RR: Move ~ to another artifact creature you control.

Androgeus
2014-12-01, 01:06 PM

Pros: Closer to original intent than option 1, no problems whatsoever with Magic syntax or diction.

Edit @below: ...Or you could just cut out the rider effect entirely! :smalltongue: Also an option.

None of your suggestions work for the same reason the original didn't. Damage doesn't kill creatures, state based actions do, which aren't checked until after the spell resolves.

Blue Ghost
2014-12-01, 02:17 PM
Devotee of Emrakul 2B
Creature - Human Cleric (U)
Sacrifice a creature: Add {1} to your mana pool.
While the world braced itself against the encroaching void, some desperate souls threw themselves headlong into it.
2/2

tgva8889
2014-12-02, 01:29 AM
Ugh, I had two really cool ideas! I guess I'll go with this one because it's more obvious what it's supposed to reference.

Guardian's Sural 3
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature gains indestructible and "Prevent all damage that would be dealt to this creature."
3: Target planeswalker you control becomes a creature with power and toughness equal to the number of loyalty counters on it. It's still a planeswalker. Attach Guardian's Sural to it.
Equip 3

Cosmic Traveler
2014-12-02, 07:41 AM
Informant of Bolas 1U/RB
Creature - Human Rogue - (U)
Hexproof
When ~ deals damage to a player, Planeswalker or legendary creature, draw a card, then discard a card.
Information is only as useful as its pertinence

CantigThimble
2014-12-03, 01:27 PM
Follower of Daxos 2WU
Creature - Human Soldier R
Whenever a player casts a spell, if it was cast from exile, put 2 +1/+1 counters on ~.

Remove a +1/+1 counter from ~: Target creature gains indestructible until end of turn.
2/2
He finds strength in the wisdom of oracles, in that strength he shelters the faithful.

Edited to remove insane flashback synergy!

r2d2go
2014-12-04, 01:05 PM
None of your suggestions work for the same reason the original didn't. Damage doesn't kill creatures, state based actions do, which aren't checked until after the spell resolves.

Actually, I specifically avoided that, using wording frequently used in magic ("If a creature that took damage from ~ dies..."). See many vampires, including the classic Sengir Vampire. If you actually read my suggestions, they only refer to "damaged by this spell", which is perfectly valid by Magic terminology. State based actions are checked whenever priority would be, which includes my use of the word "then". Please try to actually read the things you are criticizing (which, I might add, was completely unnecessary considering LaZodiac already decided to cut the rider).

Fable Wright
2014-12-10, 05:07 AM
Nahiri's Forge 3WW
Enchantment Artifact
Whenever a player casts a noncreature spell from their hand, counter that spell. If you do, that player exiles it and put an X/X colorless creature token onto the battlefield, where X is the countered spell's converted mana cost.

tgva8889
2014-12-12, 06:13 PM
DMofDarkness, did you intend for Nahiri's Forge to give its controller all the tokens? As written now, if you have Nahiri's Forge in play and I cast a noncreature spell, you get the token.

Fable Wright
2014-12-12, 06:41 PM
DMofDarkness, did you intend for Nahiri's Forge to give its controller all the tokens? As written now, if you have Nahiri's Forge in play and I cast a noncreature spell, you get the token.

Thanks for the catch.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-12-14, 05:40 PM
Autumn's Guardian 2G
Creature - Unicorn U
2G: Target creature gains hexproof until end of turn.
2/3

Ninjaman
2014-12-15, 03:12 AM
Karador's Harald - 1WBG
Creature - Spirit Bear - R
When Karador's Harald enters the battlefield, put the top five cards of your deck into your graveyard.
Whenever you cast a creature spell from a graveyard, draw a card.
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield from a graveyard under your control, draw a card.
2/2

mystic1110
2014-12-22, 03:09 PM
Bump? :smallconfused:

Beacon of Chaos
2014-12-27, 12:40 PM
Okay, well, while we wait for Androgeus to return I'm commandeering the thread to keep it alive.

Design a Christmas/New Year's card.

You can also do Chanukah/Kwanzaa if you want but I don't know anything about them really.

Ionbound
2014-12-27, 01:09 PM
Kris Kringle-2WGR

Legendary Creature-Human Advisor

T, 1RG; Each player selects a permanent in their hand and places it on the field under their control, then exiles a permanent they control.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

0/1

Fable Wright
2014-12-27, 02:46 PM
Relic of Ages 0
Legendary Artifact - R
Indestructible
At the beginning of your end step, if there are no creatures on the battlefield, put an Eon counter on Relic of Ages.

Tap two untapped Artificers you control, remove an Eon counter from Relic of Ages: You may cast target face-up exiled card this turn without paying its mana cost.

Not strictly a new year's card, I know, but it is based on the theme of years passing.

Jormengand
2014-12-27, 03:54 PM
Realisation of Disbelief UUU
Sorcery- R
Destroy each illusion you control. For each illusion destroyed in this way, draw a card.
There comes a time when we must put away such childish things, and focus on the reality we see before us.

Some of us don't do Christmas.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-12-28, 03:10 AM
Auld Lang Syne 2WWGG
Enchantment - MR
When Auld Lang Syne enters the battlefield, exile all other nonland permanents.
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player may put a permanent card from his or her hand onto the battlefield.

AgentPaper
2014-12-28, 03:25 AM
Giving Gifts 2UU
Sorcery R
Starting with you and moving clockwise, each player transfers control of a non-land permanent they control to the player to their left.

CantigThimble
2014-12-29, 04:04 PM
Christmas Special 1UR
Sorcery - R
Exile the top 8 cards of your library. You may cast a nonland card with the lowest or tied for the lowest converted mana cost from among the nonland cards exiled this way without paying it's mana cost, put all other cards exiled this way on the bottom of your library in a random order.
It's never quite as good as you had hoped...

Revealing more cards makes this card weaker, which is kinda funny for this style of effect.

mystic1110
2014-12-29, 05:41 PM
White Elephant 3U
Sorcery
Each Player searches his or her library for a card and reveals it. Then, starting with you, each player chooses a card revealed this way that they themselves didn't reveal. Then, starting with the last player whom got to choose a card this way, each player may cast the card he or she chose without paying its mana cost, choose another card, or end the turn (If a card a player choose is cast or chosen by another player, that player can't cast that card. This effect continues until each player cast a card or the turn has ended.)

Yes it's a mess - but so is white elephant

onasuma
2015-01-02, 06:18 AM
Christmas Culling 2G
Sorcery
As an additional cost to play ~, sacrifice a forest.
Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a non-land permenant. Put it into play, then shuffle the rest into your library.
I didn't even put socks in this deck...

Zaydos
2015-01-02, 06:24 PM
Silent Night 2WW
Instant R
Until end of turn prevent all damage that would be dealt, players cannot win or lose the game, and all permanents gain Indestructible.
Silent Night Holy Night|All is calm all is bright

Mystic Muse
2015-01-02, 06:34 PM
Santa's Workshop

Legendary Land

{T}: Add 3 to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast artifact spells, or on spells or abilities that produce artifact tokens.

((I Know, probably too powerful, but flavorful, and it's the only idea I had.))

Fable Wright
2015-01-02, 06:38 PM
Santa's Workshop

Legendary Land

{T}: Add 3 to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast artifact spells, or on spells or abilities that produce artifact tokens.

((I Know, probably too powerful, but flavorful, and it's the only idea I had.))

This is stronger than arguably the strongest card in Vintage (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=1075).

Probably too powerful, yes.

LaZodiac
2015-01-02, 06:49 PM
Mistletoe Instigator 4{R/G}{R/G}
Creature - Vampire Treefolk (U)
When ~ enters the battlefield, two target creatures fight each other.
As in Love, so too in War.
2/4

Gandariel
2015-01-02, 06:54 PM
Secret Santa 2W/U
Sorcery - R

All players reveal cards from the top of their library until they reveal an artifact or creature. Then, each player puts that card into play under an opponent's control. Each player then puts all other revealed cards on the bottom of their library in any order

Didn't we agree on twenty bucks max?

Horrible wording, i know.

Mystic Muse
2015-01-02, 07:37 PM
This is stronger than arguably the strongest card in Vintage (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=1075).

Probably too powerful, yes.

Darn.:smalltongue:

I got a better idea anyway, so I'll edit my post after FNM tonight.

Blue Ghost
2015-01-02, 11:11 PM
Herald of Salvation 4W
Creature - Angel (R)
Flying, lifelink
When Herald of Salvation enters the battlefield, you may return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
Miracle W
"I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people."
2/5

Fortuna
2015-01-03, 12:55 AM
Turn of the Year 1GG
Sorcery R
Untap all lands you control.
As winter gave way to spring, the land rejoiced.

I figure the easiest comparison point is extra turn effects. This doesn't draw another card, nor get an extra combat phase, nor trigger any upkeep effects or untap nonland permanents. So three mana seems like the right point to me.

Fable Wright
2015-01-03, 02:28 AM
Turn of the Year 1GG
Sorcery R
Untap all lands you control.
As winter gave way to spring, the land rejoiced.

I figure the easiest comparison point is extra turn effects. This doesn't draw another card, nor get an extra combat phase, nor trigger any upkeep effects or untap nonland permanents. So three mana seems like the right point to me.

1GG is indeed the right point. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=early+harvest) Though Early Harvest only affects basic lands...

Fortuna
2015-01-03, 03:28 AM
1GG is indeed the right point. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=early+harvest) Though Early Harvest only affects basic lands...

It's only basics, but it's also at instant speed. I think it's about right, all told.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-01-03, 01:00 PM
Sorry, gonna be honest, I'm not in the mood for reviewing the cards. I'm giving the win to AgentPaper.

AgentPaper
2015-01-03, 03:48 PM
Fair enough. Though if you do get in the mood to do it later, I'm sure many would appreciate it. No big deal though.

Anyways, the next contest is: Create a card based on this picture:

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs50/i/2009/275/1/4/Concept_Art__Landscape_by_Delun.jpg

Saposhiente
2015-01-03, 04:34 PM
Journey Through the Wasteland UG
Enchantment R
At the beginning of your upkeep, exile the top card of your library. If it's a land, put a quest counter on ~.
Remove three quest counters from ~ and sacrifice it: Put all nonland permanents it exiled onto the battlefield under your control.

I like this type of challenge.

LaZodiac
2015-01-03, 04:55 PM
Drained Sea
Artifact Land (R)
{T}, Sacrifice an Island: Search your library for two Plains cards and put them onto the battlefield tapped. Shuffle your Library.
Lumengrid, former site of the Knowledge Pool, drained to serve a higher purpose.

I figure the spike things look that weird metal sea spire stuff. Also, it'd obviously be part of a cycle of "Phyrexian overlords eat Mirrodin landmarks for mana" cards.

Zaydos
2015-01-03, 05:23 PM
Twist the Countryside 2B
Sorcery U
Destroy target land. That land's controller may search their library for a land which does not share a subtype with the destroyed land and put it onto the battlefield tapped.

Fable Wright
2015-01-03, 09:18 PM
Drained Sea
Artifact Land (R)
{T}, Sacrifice an Island: Search your library for two Plains cards and put them onto the battlefield tapped. Shuffle your Library.
Lumengrid, former site of the Knowledge Pool, drained to serve a higher purpose.

I figure the spike things look that weird metal sea spire stuff. Also, it'd obviously be part of a cycle of "Phyrexian overlords eat Mirrodin landmarks for mana" cards.

This looks ridiculously good with Hallowed Fountain, not going to lie. Sac and Island, get two tapped Islands for free.

Fortuna
2015-01-03, 09:30 PM
Bound In Earth 2WG
Enchantment - Aura R
Flash
Enchant creature with toughness 3 or greater.
When Bound in Earth enters the battlefield, it loses "Enchant creature with toughness 3 or greater" and gains Enchant land.
Enchanted permanent is a land with "T: Choose colourless or a colour of this permanent. Add one mana of the chosen type to your mana pool."
Sacrifice Bound In Earth: Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn.

Those tower-y things look kind of like hands, so.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-01-04, 01:18 AM
Reef Mists 0
Enchantment - Aura R
Reef Mists is blue.
Flash, Enchant Land
Enchanted Land is an island.
Echo U

Ionbound
2015-01-04, 11:32 AM
Phyrexian Spires-5

Artifact-R

(R/P)(B/P), T: Lands you control have 'T: Deal 1 damage to target creature or player' until the end of the turn.

mystic1110
2015-01-04, 04:23 PM
The Result of Hubris 1WRB
Enchantment R
Creatures you control get +2/+2
Sacrifice three lands you control: Destroy The Result of Hubris. Only any opponent may activate this ability, and only during his or her upkeep.
This is what remains of the Conquered. Ruins and Ghosts.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-01-04, 05:15 PM
Ruins of Neeva

Land R

~ enters the battlefield tapped.

T: Add U to your mana pool.

T, U, Exile a card in your hand: Cast a spell with the same mana cost as the exiled card without paying its mana cost (mana cost includes colour).

"What arcane mysteries lie buried here?"

CantigThimble
2015-01-05, 01:28 AM
In Emrakul's Wake 6
Tribal Enchantment - Eldrazi R
Colored spells cost 2 more to cast.
None could have predicted the effects of Nahiri's magic on the titan.

AgentPaper
2015-01-13, 05:10 PM
Judging time!

Journey Through the Wasteland UG
Enchantment R
At the beginning of your upkeep, exile the top card of your library. If it's a land, put a quest counter on ~.
Remove three quest counters from ~ and sacrifice it: Put all nonland permanents it exiled onto the battlefield under your control.

I like the flavor here: walking through the endless wastelands, encountering things and people along the way, and then once you reach the end, you can use the things and allies you've gained to help you out. Not necessarily the kind of card you build a deck around, and the unreliability probably means it won't see play in competitive decks, but it's the kind of cool rare that casual players can throw into a deck and have fun with.

Probably my biggest problems with it would be the mana cost. You seem to have been trying to cost it very aggressively. This doesn't seem like the kind of card you want showing up in competitive play, due to the large amount of randomness involved, so costing it 1-2 mana higher would have kept it fine for casual play (where games tend to go on a lot longer), while ensuring that it doesn't accidentally enter the meta-game and mess up competitive play.

Also, while green makes sense for this card (it has some similar-ish things), blue is more of a stretch. It could work, but more importantly, since this works best as a throw-in card to spice up casual play, you want it to be usable in as many decks as possible. For that reason, and the reasons I mentioned in the paragraph above, I think a mana cost of 3G would be a more appropriate cost, allowing plenty of casual decks to throw it in for a bit of spice, while keeping it well out of casual play and potential unexpected abuse.

Drained Sea
Artifact Land (R)

This is really, really strong. Mana acceleration doesn't get much better than this, and while it requires you to jump through a few hoops to really take advantage of it, those hoops aren't especially difficult, even without dual lands. With dual lands, it just becomes absurd.

I really like the flavor here, and it fits the image perfectly, but that power level just ruins it, and worse, I'm not sure how it could be fixed without fundamentally changing the card.

Twist the Countryside 2B
Sorcery U
Destroy target land. That land's controller may search their library for a land which does not share a subtype with the destroyed land and put it onto the battlefield tapped.

Hm, land destruction that only works against mono-color decks? Would also work against dual lands that have both types. I guess you could also use it to snipe a color the enemy is low on, but that seems like a colossal waste of a card. Overall I'm not really sure what purpose this card is meant to play.

Bound In Earth 2WG
Enchantment - Aura R
Flash
Enchant creature with toughness 3 or greater.
When Bound in Earth enters the battlefield, it loses "Enchant creature with toughness 3 or greater" and gains Enchant land.
Enchanted permanent is a land with "T: Choose colourless or a colour of this permanent. Add one mana of the chosen type to your mana pool."
Sacrifice Bound In Earth: Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn.

Interesting take on what's going on in the image, but I'm afraid to say that the card itself is a mess. Between the awkward wording swap and type change, the toughness restriction, and the sacrifice clause, there's just too much going on in the card to accomplish too little. In the end it just feels like Path to Exile's awkward stepchild.

Reef Mists 0
Enchantment - Aura R
Reef Mists is blue.
Flash, Enchant Land
Enchanted Land is an island.
Echo U

Nifty, but changing land types has never been an especially interesting effect, and at the cost of a card, it's not worth it. While not every card needs to be tournament-level strong, you need at least one person to love it, and I don't know who would love this card. As it is, it's a lot of words for nothing really happening.

Phyrexian Spires-5
Artifact-R
(R/P)(B/P), T: Lands you control have 'T: Deal 1 damage to target creature or player' until the end of the turn.

Red and black mana fits the effect of the card, but not the picture. This seems very strong, but at 5 mana it's probably fair, mostly because the mana used means it'll be next turn before you can start using it. Once it does get going though, it'll be hard to stop, and I can see this being used as a finisher in many control decks.

The Result of Hubris 1WRB
Enchantment R
Creatures you control get +2/+2
Sacrifice three lands you control: Destroy The Result of Hubris. Only any opponent may activate this ability, and only during his or her upkeep.
This is what remains of the Conquered. Ruins and Ghosts.

Not sure what the flavor is meant to be here, or why it's the colors it is. White makes sense, but red and black don't. Why does hubris make you stronger? And how does your enemy blowing up their lands stop it?

Ruins of Neeva
Land R
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add U to your mana pool.
T, U, Exile a card in your hand: Cast a spell with the same mana cost as the exiled card without paying its mana cost (mana cost includes colour).
"What arcane mysteries lie buried here?"

This is crazy broken with the right deck. Throw four of these and four of all of the strongest spells you can think of (Omniscience, Time Stretch, Tutors, etc.), and mulligan aggressively for Ruins of Neeva, and you can probably win on turn 2 most of the time, and shortly after the rest of the time. With the right selection, all you need is a single Ruins and two of any of your game-changing spells.

In Emrakul's Wake 6
Tribal Enchantment - Eldrazi R
Colored spells cost 2 more to cast.
None could have predicted the effects of Nahiri's magic on the titan.

I like the simple elegance of this card. Hard to say whether this is balanced or not, I don't know of any similar effects to compare it to, but it seems close enough that I'll assume it's fine. The flavor is nice as well, reality-warping monstrosity rocks through, leaving devastation in it's wake, and now everything is harder to do.

The only really bad thing ic an say is that the effect and card is a bit bland. Simple is good, but there doesn't seem to be much interaction built into this card, and it seems like it would only serve to bog the game down, rather than pushing it forwards.

Runner ups are:

Journey Through the Wasteland, by Saposhiente

Phyrexian Spires, by firedaemon33

In Emrakul's Wake, by CantigThimble

These three stood out as the best, most well-rounded cards of the pack. They all have their issues, but those issues are generally small and easily worked around compared to the rest. However, there can only be one winner...

Journey Through the Wasteland, by Saposhiente

http://i.imgur.com/OQqJl9z.jpg

Of all of the cards, this one seemed to strike the best balance of fitting the flavor of the card while also being unique and fun in it's own way. This also seemed to be the card that most clearly knew what it wanted to do, which is to provide a fun, silly adventure for the player as they dig through their deck each turn.

I like the tension each turn as you flip over another card, watching the pile get bigger and never quite knowing when it will all come down. It's the good kind of random as well: Drawing lands is good because it means you get to put stuff into play sooner, but drawing non-land permanents is good too, since it makes the eventually payoff that much greater.

I still think the mana cost could be improved, but it's mostly a meta-design thing and doesn't really hurt the card in any specific game, but more how the card it used and viewed overall, so it's a forgivable mistake.

LaZodiac
2015-01-13, 05:17 PM
Congrats to the winner. I had a feeling the powerlevel of my card was absurd but I had no idea how to fix it. Maybe make it saccing a blue creature or something, but then that messes with the flavor as you said.

Excited for the next contest!

mystic1110
2015-01-13, 05:28 PM
Win or lose, I am just happy this contest is still ongoing :smallbiggrin:

LaZodiac
2015-01-13, 05:53 PM
Win or lose, I am just happy this contest is still ongoing :smallbiggrin:

This too! Glad it's still going.

Saposhiente
2015-01-13, 08:53 PM
Nice! The picture inspired me to write an adventure, and I really liked how it came together as an experience. I chose blue-green because it's not just about the wild, but about exploration and the pursuit of the unknown.

For the next contest: Make a card with exactly two mechanics (lines of rules text), that are strongly linked together.
Journey Through the Wasteland would fit this inspiration, but would not be ideal because the mechanics play out more like a single mechanic of "Exile from the top of your library, one card per turn, until you exile 3 lands, then play the nonland permanents." I want to see cards where the two mechanics work simultaneously to create an interesting effect.
I'd provide some examples, but I'm not sure how to search for such a card.

LaZodiac
2015-01-13, 09:35 PM
Breeder of the Orthodoxy 1{W/G}{W/G}
Creature - Elf Wizard (U)
Whenever a creature token enters the battlefield under your control, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.
2GW: Populate
2/2
The Selesnya were first, their unity flawed. A flaw soon corrected.

EDIT: Changed my card to something else~

Saposhiente
2015-01-13, 10:13 PM
Did you mean to say "it gains suspend <permanently>"? Otherwise the second ability doesn't function.

LaZodiac
2015-01-13, 10:24 PM
Did you mean to say "it gains suspend <permanently>"? Otherwise the second ability doesn't function.

The idea is to use the ability (and other things) to get the card out immediately. I'll admit it's a really bad effect, and I'm probably gonna change it, it's just that the friends I have help me balance out cards I make say this would make it more balanced since it prevents it from being "Jhoira but better".

mystic1110
2015-01-14, 09:00 AM
Reluctant Executioner BG
Creature - Zombie Townsfolk U
Dethrone (Whenever this creature attacks the player with the most life or tied for most life, put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
Undying (When this creature dies, if it had no +1/+1 counters on it, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control with a +1/+1 counter on it.)
"He did sanction the murder of my village. . . but on the other hand he has some really progressive ideas about the undead."
2/2

changed my card to avoid NWO issues - now I picked two mechanics that are linked, BUT are linked antagonistically. IDK if that still goes with the contest - but here you have an efficient card that can grow powerful - but if you do it before he dies at least once, you lose undying ability.

Jormengand
2015-01-14, 09:07 AM
Kiseth, Bringer of the Plague 2BG
Planeswalker - Kiseth MR
+2: Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.
-10: Destroy each creature with a -1/-1 counter on.

CantigThimble
2015-01-14, 12:22 PM
Soulsplitter 1UG
Creature - Mutant Shaman R
T: Move a counter from one target permanent to another target permanent that shares a type with it.

Whenever you cast a creature spell, Proliferate.
1/2

Ionbound
2015-01-14, 01:12 PM
Kessig Herdguard-2WG

Creature-Human Soldier-R

Whenever this creature blocks, it gains a +1/+1 counter and deathtouch until the end of the turn.

WW: This creature gains 'Protection from Creatures' until the end of the phase

Sometimes, a brave soul volunteers to watch the fields. And a few, through Avacyn's grace, survive. And even fewer keep surviving, becoming stronger by defending our flocks.

2/2

Blue Ghost
2015-01-14, 08:00 PM
Sultai Battlemage 2B
Creature - Human Wizard (U)
{1}{U}, {T}: Target player puts the top three cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
{3}{G}, {T}: Target creature gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the number of creature cards in your graveyard.
2/2

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/SultaiBattlemage_zps877209ff.jpg

Saposhiente
2015-01-15, 01:17 AM
Kessig Herdguard-2WG

Whenever this creature blocks, it gains a +1/+1 counter and deathtouch until the end of the turn.

Sometimes, a brave soul volunteers to watch the fields. And a few, through Avacyn's grace, survive. And even fewer keep surviving, becoming stronger by defending our flocks.

Card type? Stats?

Ionbound
2015-01-15, 10:12 AM
Oops. I made that about 5 minutes before going to class. Thanks for the catch.

braveheart
2015-01-15, 04:06 PM
Sturdy mutant-3G
Creature-Mutant-U
evolve
persist
you can try to kill it, but it just keep's coming back
2/5

Fable Wright
2015-01-15, 04:58 PM
Breeder of the Orthodoxy 1{W/G}{W/G}
Creature - Elf Wizard (U)
Whenever a creature token enters the battlefield under your control, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.
2GW: Populate
2/2
The Selesnya were first, their unity flawed. A flaw soon corrected.

EDIT: Changed my card to something else~
You do realize that W/G is not particularly known for their use of -1/-1 counters, right? 1{W/G}{B} is a much better suited cost.

Guillotine Scarecrow 3
Artifact Creature - Scarecrow U
Dethrone (Whenever this creature attacks the player with the most life or tied for most life, put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
Persist (When this creature dies, if it had no -1/-1 counters on it, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control with a -1/-1 counter on it.)
Traditionally placed behind the royal throne, to whisper never-ending: "you too are mortal."
2/2

Remember that +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters cancel each other out :smallwink:

Sturdy mutant-3G
Creature-Mutant-U
evolve
persist
2/5

Do note that Wizards of the coast makes it a rule not have +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters appear in the same block, let alone on the same creature, just because the average player does not necessarily know about those rule interactions. Just saying, there's a reason why this design space is currently underutilized.

LaZodiac
2015-01-15, 05:04 PM
You do realize that W/G is not particularly known for their use of -1/-1 counters, right? 1{W/G}{B} is a much better suited cost.

Thanks, I just thought it was appropriate since it's Phyrexian. Point taken, however.

mystic1110
2015-01-15, 05:34 PM
Do note that Wizards of the coast makes it a rule not have +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters appear in the same block, let alone on the same creature, just because the average player does not necessarily know about those rule interactions.

I know about and understand wizards policy. But I thought it was a fun interaction - and even in NWO wizards allows for some complex cards. As a one of - in a set with very little counters in the first place - I can see this card. Hell, sometimes they even make notes about unusual interaction in the prerelease packet. I remember for Torment, they made a note RE: the whole - kill it the nightmare in response trick.

braveheart
2015-01-15, 05:41 PM
I was not previously aware of that policy actually, although I suppose a card like that may warrant a reminder text at least to avoid confusion

Fable Wright
2015-01-15, 05:46 PM
I know about and understand wizards policy. But I thought it was a fun interaction - and even in NWO wizards allows for some complex cards. As a one of - in a set with very little counters in the first place - I can see this card. Hell, sometimes they even make notes about unusual interaction in the prerelease packet. I remember for Torment, they made a note RE: the whole - kill it the nightmare in response trick.

In NWO, there is a justification for complex cards, but the number of non-evergreen mechanics in a set is restricted. Given the aversion to +1/+1 counters and -1/-1 counters in the same setóto the point where they nixed Persist in Dark Ascension because +1/+1 counters existed in InnistradóDethrone and Persist would never exist together in the same block. And if they're not both block mechanics, then there's no way they would both be printed on the same card in a block. It might happen in a Commander set, but those also tend to avoid +1/+1 and -1/-1 counter interactions, and it isn't really a justified inclusion when it doesn't push the Commander set's theme or act as a card too powerful to be printed in regular sets.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-01-15, 08:51 PM
Helixcaster 1RW
Creature - Human Wizard Cleric R
Lifelink
T: Helixcaster deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
War is kind of a twisted pleasure for some people.
2/2

bryn0528
2015-01-16, 01:23 AM
Spring's Supplicant 2WG
Enchantment CreatureóNymph U
ConstellationóWhenever ~ or another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
InspiredóWhenever ~ becomes untapped, you gain life equal to the number of +1/+1 counters on it.
0/1
"Miracles come in the everyday. You only have to look for them."

Zaydos
2015-01-16, 01:30 AM
Shepherd of Wolves 3GG
Creature - Elf Warrior R
At the beginning of your upkeep if you control the most creatures draw a card.
2GG, T: Put a 2/2 green Wolf token onto the battlefield.
The wolves are the ears and mouth of the forest, and I know to listen to their words
3/3

Fortuna
2015-01-16, 01:31 AM
Spring's Supplicant 2WG
ConstellationóWhenever ~ or another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
InspiredóWhenever ~ becomes untapped, you gain life equal to the number of +1/+1 counters on it.
0/0

This won't work; before the triggered ability resolves, the 0/0 creature will be put into the graveyard as a state-based effect. You'd need to make it enter the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter, or more simply, give it base toughness higher than 0.

mystic1110
2015-01-16, 09:02 AM
In NWO, there is a justification for complex cards, but the number of non-evergreen mechanics in a set is restricted. Given the aversion to +1/+1 counters and -1/-1 counters in the same setóto the point where they nixed Persist in Dark Ascension because +1/+1 counters existed in InnistradóDethrone and Persist would never exist together in the same block. And if they're not both block mechanics, then there's no way they would both be printed on the same card in a block. It might happen in a Commander set, but those also tend to avoid +1/+1 and -1/-1 counter interactions, and it isn't really a justified inclusion when it doesn't push the Commander set's theme or act as a card too powerful to be printed in regular sets.

I get what you're saying - just thought it was an interesting rules interaction that made for an interesting Custom card. If it get's nixed from the contest for this reason - so be it :smallsmile:

edit - nvm changed the card

Beacon of Chaos
2015-01-20, 01:26 PM
Contract in Blood 3B

Enchantment - R

Whenever an opponent draws a card outside his or her draw step, that opponent loses 2 life.

At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player draws a card.

Saposhiente
2015-01-22, 01:37 AM
Judging time!

Reluctant Executioner BG
Creature - Zombie Townsfolk U
Undying (When this creature dies, if it had no +1/+1 counters on it, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control with a +1/+1 counter on it.)
"He did sanction the murder of my village. . . but on the other hand he has some really progressive ideas about the undead."
2/2
Hm, often plays as anti-dethrone where you want to avoid attacking the life leader until it has died. Interesting, though I'm not sure that's a good thing. Still, I compare this to Geralf's Messenger (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=243250) and Strangleroot Geist (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=262671), which are like this except instead of Dethrone they deal 2 damage to face, and they have 1 less health, and Geralf additionally enters tapped. So if you don't activate Dethrone, it's 1 health for 2 face damage, which is often a good deal. Meanwhile, all other Dethrone creatures start with 1/1 less stats than their mana, so if you don't activate Undying then this is a superb deal. It's also a zombie, and it's at uncommon. Overall, neat concept, but should have been a 1/1.

Kiseth, Bringer of the Plague 2BG
Planeswalker - Kiseth MR
+2: Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.
-10: Destroy each creature with a -1/-1 counter on.
A 3-turn timebomb that gives -1/-1 and gains 2 health each turn. Creates an interesting effect where the targeted creatures are marked for death, and the opponent wants to get rid of them. Fair, but not as good as other planeswalker options that also let you quickly make them worth the mana if you don't have solid board control. The connection is strong but straightforward; giving -1/-1 counters and an ability that explicitly cares about -1/-1 counters is a rather formulaic recipe for interaction. Overall, it's reasonable, but uninspired.

Soulsplitter 1UG
Creature - Mutant Shaman R
T: Move a counter from one target permanent to another target permanent that shares a type with it.

Whenever you cast a creature spell, Proliferate.
1/2
Interesting. You spread your counters around so that you can proliferate efficiently. Sadly, this is far too powerful. Inexorable Tide (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=194363) gives proliferate for each spell (without creature restriction) for five mana, and is considered good. This is that and some more benefits for only three mana.

Kessig Herdguard-2WG

Creature-Human Soldier-R

2/2
Your writing needs work; it's unclear whether this is supposed to say "gets +1/+1 [...] until end of turn" or "put a +1/+1 counter on it, and it gains deathtouch until end of turn".
The abilities add up to WW, T: Destroy target attacking creature, and also get a +1/+1 counter that does not contribute to the interaction. People will pay 2W and a card to do that. Way overpowered.

Sultai Battlemage 2B
{1}{U}, {T}: Target player puts the top three cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
{3}{G}, {T}: Target creature gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the number of creature cards in your graveyard.
2/2

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/SultaiBattlemage_zps877209ff.jpg
Very interesting. The first ability can be used either to offensively mill your opponent or to mill yourself to power the second ability. The costs and the multicolor requirements give it a fair power level. The only shaky part of the card is the flavor: It doesn't really match the Sultai tone of ruthlessness, and so far Sultai cards unconditionally mill yourself, and do not give +/+. Also, the second ability anti-combos with Sultai Delve, which removes the cards you need to power it (though I suppose you could only Delve non-creatures). This is however only a quibble. The colors are all appropriately chosen. Overall, I like the card.

Sturdy mutant-3G
Creature-Mutant-U
evolve
persist
2/5
Firstly, do try to improve your grammar. Basic capitalization and apostrophe rules go a long way to make your card look professional.
This definitely needs some reminder text; the interaction here is not obvious from the keywords alone. Indeed, the interaction probably does not work like you think it does: if it has +3/+3 when it dies, it forgets the counters and comes back with -1/-1, not +2/+2.
Strongly resembles Experiment One (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=366441), but much weaker.
Overall the card is more confusing than it needs to be for its effect, and doesn't have the impact it deserves for four mana.

Helixcaster 1RW
Creature - Human Wizard Cleric R
Lifelink
T: Helixcaster deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
War is kind of a twisted pleasure for some people.
2/2
Simple but effective interaction; doesn't feel contrived. I like the idea and flavor, but it's simply too powerful; compare Cunning Sparkmage (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=201563).

Spring's Supplicant 2WG
0/1
Alright. Grows in a constellation, and this growth fuels its inspiration ability. The constellation power is about on par with Forgeborn Oreads (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=380422), so with 0/1 base stats we want about 4-5 stats worth of power from the inspired ability. Inspiriation abilities are often a very big deal, like drawing a card. Instead, we get... delayed lifelink. Nobody cares enough to justify the card at 4 mana. This card would have been much more exciting with an impactful inspired ability, and would have been more interesting if the constellation effect naturally supported the inspired effect, such as with temporary evasion, rather than giving counters and then caring about counters.

Shepherd of Wolves 3GG
Creature - Elf Warrior R
At the beginning of your upkeep if you control the most creatures draw a card.
2GG, T: Put a 2/2 green Wolf token onto the battlefield.
The wolves are the ears and mouth of the forest, and I know to listen to their words
3/3
Simple, and all around reasonable. The interaction is merely to try to maximize your creature count; the process isn't very involved; either you have enough creature production or you don't. It's a solid card, but its simple gameplay leaves it lacking for spark in my eyes.

Contract in Blood 3B

Enchantment - R

Whenever an opponent draws a card outside his or her draw step, that opponent loses 2 life.

At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player draws a card.
A doubled Underworld Dreams (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=191343) that also gives each player some cards, for one more mana but less color strictness. It's too powerful, but not ridiculously so; would probably be fine at BBBB or 4B. The synergy is simple, though I like the deckbuilding possibilities that a bigger impact Underworld Dreams gives. It has some excitement to its play, but is marred by imbalance.

Blue Ghost, with Sultai Battlemage

Sultai Battlemage 2B
2/2

Out of all the cards that were reasonably well balanced, this one is the most interesting to me. It provides the player with many different strategic options and could serve different purposes in different decks, while giving appropriate costs for all its abilities.

LaZodiac
2015-01-22, 01:42 AM
Awe, you forgot mine. It's okay though :smallbiggrin:

Congrats to the winner! Excited to see the next contest.

Zaydos
2015-01-22, 01:57 AM
I forgot I'd made one for this, it was uninspired.

And Blue Ghost's card was great. It's balanced but still the kind of card I'd be excited to get in my pack as an Uncommon.

Blue Ghost
2015-01-22, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the compliments, and a round of applause for everyone who participated. :smallsmile:

Next contest: Make a card that evokes a feeling of camaraderie.

Saposhiente
2015-01-22, 02:19 AM
Awe, you forgot mine. It's okay though :smallbiggrin:

Whoops, didn't scroll high enough. At a glance, it's undercosted, and the connection is good but nothing special.

LaZodiac
2015-01-22, 02:24 AM
Two Headed Assault 2RRRWWW
Sorcery {MR}
Your team mate may pay mana in order to cast this spell.
After your team's combat phase this turn, untap all creatures you both control. There is an additional combat phase this turn.
SMASH AND BASH!

Saposhiente
2015-01-22, 02:30 AM
Stalwart Protector 2WW
Creature - Soldier U
Soulbond
As long as ~ is paired with another creature, both creatures have "(W/P)(W/P), T: Regenerate the creature that is paired with this creature."
I've got your back.
2/2

Zaydos
2015-01-22, 02:31 AM
Grace of Martyrs 1WW
Enchantment R
W, Sacrifice a creature: Regenerate target creature.
W, Sacrifice a creature: The next time a source of your choice would deal damage to another player, this turn prevent that damage.

LaZodiac
2015-01-22, 02:31 AM
@Saposhiente: ...are those P's meant to be phyrexian mana?

Because if so, that flavor text takes on a WHOLE new meaning and it's really creepy and awesome, actually.

Saposhiente
2015-01-22, 02:40 AM
@Saposhiente: ...are those P's meant to be phyrexian mana?
Precisely. Normally I'd be fancy and write ϕ with the background color of the mana, but since the background is normally white that would be confusing.

LaZodiac
2015-01-22, 02:48 AM
Precisely. Normally I'd be fancy and write ϕ with the background color of the mana, but since the background is normally white that would be confusing.

Aah, okay. Cool, was just making sure :smalltongue:

Mystic Muse
2015-01-22, 04:01 AM
Saposhiente, what the heck is your avatar, if you don't mind my asking?

Saposhiente
2015-01-22, 04:40 PM
Why, it's murdershy, of course.

mystic1110
2015-01-22, 06:17 PM
Army Coordinator 1W
Other Soldiers you control have "T: Target soldier has "T: Target soldier gains protection from everything until end of turn.""
The Army is more than just a sum of its parts
2/2

Beacon of Chaos
2015-01-22, 06:30 PM
D'oh! I forgot Underworld Dreams was a thing.

Gondor Calls for Aid 2WW

Instant - C

Put two 1/1 white ally creature tokens onto the battlefield under target player's control. If that player was not you, those tokens get +1/+1 and have first strike until end of turn.

Jormengand
2015-01-22, 07:17 PM
Constant Companion WW
Creature - Human Commoner U
Constant Companion gets +1/+1 for each other creature you control.
It's dangerous to be walking around these parts alone. Let me show you the way.
0/2

Mystic Muse
2015-01-22, 07:36 PM
Why, it's murdershy, of course.

...Do I want to know what that means? Is there like a cupcakes thing going on?

Anyway.

In all but blood 2WW

Enchant Creature Mythic Rare

When ~ enters the battlefield, choose another creature other than the target. While ~ is in play, both creatures are indestructible, and spells and abilties your opponents control cannot cause them to be sacrificed.

We are brothers...

((Probably doesn't quite work, but I like the idea.))

onasuma
2015-01-23, 04:52 AM
Brother's Bond 2R
Tribal Enchantment - Goblin U
All goblins have "1, sacrifice another goblin: ~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn"
I never liked my brother.

Gandariel
2015-01-23, 07:28 AM
Return of the Prodigal 1WW
Sorcery - R
Choose a creature type. If you control two or more creatures of that type, gain control of a creature of that type.

No matter what happened, if you repent you will always have a home with us.

basically, white steal-a-creature, but it's conditional.

I don't know exactly how conditional it might be, but I suppose it would have some uses (since your creatures probably have more than one type, it's sort of likely that you can make this work.

But overall, i made this card because I like the idea of a Goblin, Human, Elf , or whatever which joins the rest of his kind.

Ninjaman
2015-01-23, 08:45 AM
@Gandriel: That effect might not be as original as you think (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=39629)

Gandariel
2015-01-23, 10:02 AM
Grumblegrumble

Edit: fixed my card, same flavour but a bit different effect.

CantigThimble
2015-01-23, 04:18 PM
Firefury Twins 3RW
Creature - Human Monk R
Soulbond
As long as this creature is paired both creatures have prowess.
When ~ enters the battlefield put a 2/2 monk token onto the battlefield with soulbond and "As long as this creature is paired both creatures have double strike."
2/2

Ionbound
2015-01-24, 08:09 PM
Geist Companion-2WU

Creature-Spirit-U

Soulbond

As long as ~ is paired with another creature, they both have hexproof and the bonded creature has +1/-1.

"Abigail! Come back! I'm not done playing with you!"

2/2

Blue Ghost
2015-01-29, 03:57 PM
Time for the judgment!

Two Headed Assault 2RRRWWW
Sorcery {MR}
Your team mate may pay mana in order to cast this spell.
After your team's combat phase this turn, untap all creatures you both control. There is an additional combat phase this turn.
SMASH AND BASH!
Two-headed giant does need more love. Iíd love to see a supplemental two-headed giant product some time. The idea of spells that your teammate can help pay for is a nice one.
The execution needs a little work. The effect is fine, but I think the cost needs to go down, and not be so color intensive. You donít want to force both players to have to play the same colors. And this effect is fair at 4 mana in one-on-one; if youíre roping your teammate into helping pay for it, I think there should be a discount. Donít want to have to have both players spend all their mana on an effect that a single player could have achieved alone. Also is not white. Iíd cost it at 4RR.

Stalwart Protector 2WW
Creature - Soldier U
Soulbond
As long as ~ is paired with another creature, both creatures have "(W/P)(W/P), T: Regenerate the creature that is paired with this creature."
I've got your back.
2/2
Why does this use Phyrexian mana? Iím confused.
Besides that, I like it. The gameplay really invokes the idea of comrades looking out for each other. Tapping one creature to protect its partner is a brilliant execution.

Grace of Martyrs 1WW
Enchantment R
W, Sacrifice a creature: Regenerate target creature.
W, Sacrifice a creature: The next time a source of your choice would deal damage to another player, this turn prevent that damage.
Pretty decent idea. I only caught that the second ability couldnít affect yourself on the second reading, and I bet a lot of people reading this card would miss that as well, and be disappointed when the card doesnít do what they thought it did. I donít see it coming up very often that you would want to sacrifice a creature to protect another player. What if you made it a single ability that could prevent damage to any target? I think it would both read and play better that way.

Army Coordinator 1W
Other Soldiers you control have "T: Target soldier has "T: Target soldier gains protection from everything until end of turn.""
The Army is more than just a sum of its parts
2/2
So if Iím reading this right, you can tap two soldiers to give one soldier protection? Thatís fine, but the wording of this card is way too confusing. You want cards to be comprehensible on first reading.

Gondor Calls for Aid 2WW

Instant - C

Put two 1/1 white ally creature tokens onto the battlefield under target player's control. If that player was not you, those tokens get +1/+1 and have first strike until end of turn.
This is interesting. In multiplayer, itís quite a potent combat trick when you use it to help another player, and you get the benefit by taking out a potential threat. One concern is that even a pair of 2/2 first strikers might not be big enough to take out some of the threats floating around in multiplayer. But if youíre not playing battlecruiser Magic, itís great. And quite good in two-headed giant. I like it.

Constant Companion WW
Creature - Human Commoner U
Constant Companion gets +1/+1 for each other creature you control.
It's dangerous to be walking around these parts alone. Let me show you the way.
0/2
So a Crusader of Odric for 2 mana with -1/+1? Eh, I think I like the original better.

In all but blood 2WW

Enchant Creature Mythic Rare

When ~ enters the battlefield, choose another creature other than the target. While ~ is in play, both creatures are indestructible, and spells and abilties your opponents control cannot cause them to be sacrificed.

We are brothers...

Granting two creatures indestructible? I guess thatís fine, though I donít think itís splashy enough for mythic. Could use some cleaner templating, and Iím not quite sure whatís the best way to get the effect you want (aura or global enchantment?), but gameplay-wise, itís pretty good.

Brother's Bond 2R
Tribal Enchantment - Goblin U
All goblins have "1, sacrifice another goblin: ~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn"
I never liked my brother.
Silly goblins. This would read a lot better if the ability were on the enchantment itself rather than granted to the goblins. Not as flavor-resonant as some of the others, and not sure how often itíll be useful; sacrificing even a 1/1 for a temporary +1/+1 boost doesnít strike me as a very good deal. But it works.

Return of the Prodigal 1WW
Sorcery - R
Choose a creature type. If you control two or more creatures of that type, gain control of a creature of that type.

No matter what happened, if you repent you will always have a home with us.

This is still a blue ability. Gameplay is narrow, and while I like the flavor idea, the effect doesnít match it.

Firefury Twins 3RW
Creature - Human Monk R
Soulbond
As long as this creature is paired both creatures have prowess.
When ~ enters the battlefield put a 2/2 monk token onto the battlefield with soulbond and "As long as this creature is paired both creatures have double strike."
2/2
Two 2/2 double strike prowess creatures for 5 mana? The power level really concerns me there. As does the complexity; soulbond is already quite a complex ability, and I donít know how I feel about a card, even at rare, making two soulbond creatures with different abilities.

Geist Companion-2WU

Creature-Spirit-U

Soulbond

As long as ~ is paired with another creature, they both have hexproof and the bonded creature has +1/-1.

"Abigail! Come back! I'm not done playing with you!"

2/2
A soulbond that grants hexproof is decent. I donít really see why the +1/-1 is necessary.

This was a close call, but the winner is Diego Havoc, with Gondor Calls for Aid, for a great multiplayer design that evokes camaraderie between players.
Saposhienteís Stalwart Protector is a close runner up.

Thanks for playing everyone! See you in the next contest!

Beacon of Chaos
2015-01-29, 05:05 PM
Thank you very much! (had to look up what you meant by battlecruiser Magic, but I see exactly what you meant now)

I'm in the mood for a good fight! Design a card with a martial arts theme.

mystic1110
2015-01-29, 05:10 PM
Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique B
Sorcery U
Place a death counter on target creature that was dealt damage this turn. At the beginning of your next upkeep exile each creature with a death counter on it.

Jormengand
2015-01-29, 05:23 PM
Lee Sin, the Blind Monk 2UR
Legendary Creature - Human Monk MR (Un)
Indestructible, reach, doublestrike
You can't look at your graveyard, your exile zone or the battlefield. (You have to remember whether actions you take have valid targets. If they don't, the action is resolved as though it did nothing. You can ask your opponent to show you anything that they need to claim they have on the battlefield.)
Lee sin is a ranged melee tanky DPS assassin mage tank support jungler. He excels at everything. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2XB2iIecXI)
6/6

LaZodiac
2015-01-29, 05:36 PM
Pagoda of Five Hells
Legendary Land - (MR)
(T): Add {B}, {R}, or {G} to your mana pool
BRG, (T): Target creature you control fights another target creature. If a creature dealt damage in this way dies this turn, the other target gets a +1+1 counter. If either card was Legendary, it gains two +1+1 counters.
The prize at the top means nothing. The fight is enough. - Diary of Jun-fan, Champion of Kamigawa

Yo I heard you like The Game Of Death so here is my silly card!

Fortuna
2015-01-29, 11:10 PM
You can't look at your graveyard, your exile zone or the battlefield. (You have to remember whether actions you take have valid targets. If they don't, counter them. You can ask your opponent to show you anything that they need to claim they have on the battlefield.)
Lee sin is a ranged melee tanky DPS assassin mage tank support jungler. He excels at everything. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2XB2iIecXI)
6/6

What happens if you attempt an action which you can't perform? You say you counter them, but in normal play, they can't even go on the stack - this matters in particular for heroic and the illusion ability. Also, if your memory is even halfway decent, this guy is insane - a 6/6 for 4, with indestructible, reach, and double strike?

Pagoda of Five Hells
Legendary Land - (MR)
BRG, (T): Target creature you control fights another target creature. If a creature dies from this effect, the surviving creature gets a +1+1 counter. If either card was Legendary, it gains two +1+1 counters.
The prize at the top means nothing. The fight is enough. - Diary of Jun-fan, Champion of Kamigawa

Yo I heard you like The Game Of Death so here is my silly card!

Creatures don't die from damage. You want "If a creature dealt damage in this way dies this turn, the other target..."

Masterful Throw 1W
Instant - U
Convoke
Tap target attacking creature and remove it from combat. That creature deals damage to itself equal to its power.

LaZodiac
2015-01-29, 11:44 PM
What happens if you attempt an action which you can't perform? You say you counter them, but in normal play, they can't even go on the stack - this matters in particular for heroic and the illusion ability. Also, if your memory is even halfway decent, this guy is insane - a 6/6 for 4, with indestructible, reach, and double strike?

Creatures don't die from damage. You want "If a creature dealt damage in this way dies this turn, the other target..."

Masterful Throw 1W
Instant - U
Convoke
Tap target attacking creature and remove it from combat. That creature deals damage to itself equal to its power.

It's an Unhinged card, it's literally not supposed to be able to work.

As for the help with my card, thanks I keep on forgetting this!

onasuma
2015-02-02, 05:39 AM
Martial protagonist 1ww
Enchantment aura c
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1for each creature your opponents control and -1/-1 for each other creature you control.
You have made the mistake of attacking me with a dozen thugs while I am alone and unarmed

Blue Ghost
2015-02-02, 07:35 PM
Flowing Stream Technique 1U
Instant (U)
Exchange the base power of two target creatures until end of turn.
"Feel the enemy's movements, and use his own strength against him."

Mystic Muse
2015-02-02, 07:38 PM
8 Trigrams 128 palms WWUU

Instant - Mythic Rare

Split second

Until end of turn, your opponents can't activate abilities that aren't mana abilities

Until end of turn, your opponents can't cast spells.

(Basically, Neji's technique that completely blocks chakra abilities, albeit only for a temporary period of time.)

CantigThimble
2015-02-02, 07:46 PM
Blindness 2W
Enchantment - Aura C
Enchant Creature
When ~ enters the battlefield Choose One:
-Put a +1/+1 counter on enchanted creature and it gains vigilance.
-Enchanted creature can't attack or block.

How are blind guys always so good at martial arts!
The modal part was to set it apart from existing cards with similar effects, the counter is to help with memory issues and as a bonus, those two make it fit nicely in tarkir.

Zaydos
2015-02-02, 08:06 PM
Way of the Empty Hand 2RW
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gains +2/+2 and Double Strike as long as it does not have any equipment attached.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-02-04, 12:47 AM
I'm actually liking Blindness... I feel like it could use some tweaking for flavor purposes, but the idea is just neat.

Barkfist Initiate 1G
Creature - Human Monk C
Barkfist Initiate gets +1/+0 for each forest you control.
His training is not complete until he can identify his own handprint on every tree.
0/2

The_Tentacle
2015-02-04, 07:06 PM
Vulcan Death Grip {B}
Sorcery - R
Flip a coin. If it is heads, destroy target creature.
"There's no such thing as the Vulcan Death Grip!"

Probably will put something else up, but this for now.

Saposhiente
2015-02-04, 08:00 PM
Did you mean to make that an un-card? (Otherwise the randomness is ridiculous and unfun)

mystic1110
2015-02-04, 08:14 PM
Blindness 2W
Enchantment - Aura C
Enchant Creature
When ~ enters the battlefield Choose One:
-Put a +1/+1 counter on enchanted creature and it gains vigilance.
-Enchanted creature can't attack or block.

How are blind guys always so good at martial arts!
The modal part was to set it apart from existing cards with similar effects, the counter is to help with memory issues and as a bonus, those two make it fit nicely in tarkir.

The choice doesn't really make sense.... Maybe make it:

"Enchanted creature can't attack or block. If enchanted creature is a monk, it has +2/+2 and vigilance instead"?

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-02-04, 11:44 PM
I was going to suggest something along the lines of, "At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control enchanted creature, you may transform/flip Blindness." Then you could just put the buff on the other side.

CantigThimble
2015-02-05, 10:10 AM
Ok, replacement entry:
Sightless Meditation WU
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant Creature
When ~ enters the battlefield tap enchanted creature.
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 had vigilance, shroud and 'This creature does not untap during its controller's untap step.'
2W: Untap enchanted creature.

So, modal through tappedness, shroud prevents most outside untap effects and fits the hermit flavor.

Blue Ghost
2015-02-05, 06:57 PM
Did you mean to make that an un-card? (Otherwise the randomness is ridiculous and unfun)

Why would being an un-card change that?

Saposhiente
2015-02-05, 07:23 PM
As an un-card the randomness is at least justifiable, though probably still unfun.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-02-07, 11:30 AM
mystic1110

Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique B
Sorcery U
Place a death counter on target creature that was dealt damage this turn. At the beginning of your next upkeep exile each creature with a death counter on it.
This was from Kill Bill, yes? I like the flavour of it. Fits perfectly into black, too, as a cheap but restrictive kill card. I like it.

Jormengand

You can't look at your graveyard, your exile zone or the battlefield. (You have to remember whether actions you take have valid targets. If they don't, the action is resolved as though it did nothing. You can ask your opponent to show you anything that they need to claim they have on the battlefield.)
Lee sin is a ranged melee tanky DPS assassin mage tank support jungler. He excels at everything.
6/6
Thanks for linking the video, that was funny! As for the card, I like the idea, but I'm not sure how you'd implement it. Setting up a book or DM screen in front of you, I guess. Seems fun but awkward. Maybe if you forced the player to wear a blindfold instead it would work better. :smalltongue:

LaZodiac

Pagoda of Five Hells

Legendary Land - (MR)
BRG, (T): Target creature you control fights another target creature. If a creature dealt damage in this way dies this turn, the other target gets a +1+1 counter. If either card was Legendary, it gains two +1+1 counters.

The ability is solid, but I'm not sure why this is black. Fight is pretty solidly red/green. I get the feeling this is referencing something, maybe? Still, it seems playable.

Random_person

Masterful Throw 1W
Instant - U
Convoke
It's perhaps a little too strong. Kiku's Shadow does the almost same thing for BB and as a sorcery. Admittedly the creature doesn't have to be attacking, but still. It's very themeatic though.

onasuma

Martial protagonist 1ww
Enchantment aura c
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1for each creature your opponents control and -1/-1 for each other creature you control.
You have made the mistake of attacking me with a dozen thugs while I am alone and unarmed
I like it, though for the full flavour, the creature should probably get the ability to block more creatures for that true one vs. many feel. :smallsmile:

Blue Ghost

Flowing Stream Technique 1U
Instant (U)
Exchange the base power of two target creatures until end of turn.
"Feel the enemy's movements, and use his own strength against him."
Now this is interesting. Has anything like this been done before? It works really well as a blue combat trick, and it's very thematic, both for the colour and for the martial artsy name. I like this.

Mystic Muse

8 Trigrams 128 palms WWUU

Instant - Mythic Rare

Split second

Until end of turn, your opponents can't activate abilities that aren't mana abilities

Until end of turn, your opponents can't cast spells.
I've never really been a fan of anything that prevents all spells/abilities from being played. Counterspells are annoying enough. Still, it's got a tricky cost and is MR, so there's some balance, but I'm afraid I just don't like it.

Zaydos

Way of the Empty Hand 2RW
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gains +2/+2 and Double Strike as long as it does not have any equipment attached.
Ah, something for the bare-handed fighter! Yes, this is strong and flavourful.

Dr.Gunsforhands

Barkfist Initiate 1G
Creature - Human Monk C
Barkfist Initiate gets +1/+0 for each forest you control.
His training is not complete until he can identify his own handprint on every tree.
0/2
It's... fine. Not hugely exciting, I'm afraid.

The_Tentacle

Vulcan Death Grip {B}
Sorcery - R
Flip a coin. If it is heads, destroy target creature.
"There's no such thing as the Vulcan Death Grip!"
I, personally, like this. Coin flips are a little odd for black though (Tavern Swindler is the only one I know of). I'm not too sure about the theme though, but I'm not that great at Star Trek lore. Didn't the vulcan grip just paralyse people?

CantigThimble

Sightless Meditation WU
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant Creature
When ~ enters the battlefield tap enchanted creature.
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 had vigilance, shroud and 'This creature does not untap during its controller's untap step.'
2W: Untap enchanted creature.
I like how the ability ties into the theme. You play the spell and your creature "meditates", and then you bring them out of it with the extra mana. I'm not sure of the flavour of casting it on an opponent's creature though. You force them to meditate?

Winner:
Blue Ghost and Flowing Stream Technique!

2nd place to mystic1110 and Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique.

3rd place will go to Jormengand and Lee Sin, which quite amused me.

LaZodiac
2015-02-07, 11:33 AM
My card was a reference to The Game Of Death, Bruce Lee's final movie (I even used a variant of his name for the quoted character). I figured putting black in would give it a more "accurate" feel since the card is very "Jund" to me, even on Kamigawa.

Anyway, congratulations to the winner!

Beacon of Chaos
2015-02-07, 11:38 AM
Ahh, I see. I've seen very few of his films, sadly, and those I have were a long time ago and I don't remember them.

Blue Ghost
2015-02-07, 10:23 PM
Thank you! *bows*

New contest: Design a card that gives an opponent a choice.

mystic1110
2015-02-07, 10:31 PM
grrr so close. . . oh well :smallbiggrin:

Invest or Waste 1BB
Sorcery U
Target player reveals their hand. Separate those cards into two piles. That player chooses one pile and places it into their graveyard, and places the rest back into their hand.

LaZodiac
2015-02-07, 10:44 PM
Beauty or Blighted 2{G/B}
Instant (U)
Target opponent may sacrifice a creature. If he/she does, draw a card. Otherwise, return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
In the day their radiance scatters, and at night it brings them safety.

onasuma
2015-02-08, 06:16 PM
Cake or Death 2B
Sorcery - U
Target opponent may pay 7 life. If they do not, search your library for a card and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
"Uh, death, please. No, cake! Cake! Cake, sorry. Sorry..."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-02-09, 09:47 PM
Omen of Stasis 2BB
Enchantment - MR
Whenever a permanent untaps, its controller loses 1 life.
Each permanent's controller may choose not to untap it during his or her untap step.

CantigThimble
2015-02-10, 01:29 PM
Powers Untapped 2B
Sorcery - R
As an additional cost to cast ~ sacrifice a creature and pay 5 life.
Choose up to 4 cards you own from outside the game with different names. An opponent chooses 2 of them. Put the cards that were not chosen into your hand.

I might make the rest of these, glories unearned and fires unquenched perhaps?

Glories Unearned 2W
Sorcery - R
Search your library for up to 4 creatures with converted mana cost 1 or less and different names, an opponent chooses two of them, put the chosen cards on the bottom of your library and the others onto the battlefield under your control then shuffle your library.

Fires Unquenched 2R
Sorcery R
Choose up to 4 target instants or sorceries in your graveyard with converted mana cost 3 or less and different names, an opponent chooses 2 of them, exile the the chosen cards and return the others to your hand. Exile Fires Unquenched.

Jormengand
2015-02-10, 06:40 PM
Tempt with Artifice 2WU
Sorcery - R
Tempting Offer - Search your library for an artifact and put it into your hand. Each opponent may search their library for an artifact and put it into their hand. For each opponent that does, search your library for an artifact and put it into your hand.

Saposhiente
2015-02-10, 10:33 PM
Tortuous Dilemma BB
Sorcery U
Choose a creature. Its controller may sacrifice it; if they do not, destroy all other creatures they control.

Would you sacrifice your lover to save your people?

Ninjaman
2015-02-11, 07:40 AM
Beyond Mortaility - 1BG
Sorcery - R
Target opponent chooses a creature card in you graveyard, return that card to the battlefield under your control, then put a +1/+1 counter on it for each creature card in your graveyard.

Mystic Muse
2015-02-11, 07:49 AM
Food run 3G

Sorcery R (Un)

You and your opponent leave the game in progress and go get something to eat. Your opponent gets to choose where.

"But I had pizza for lunch!"

"Well, whose fault is that?"

Beacon of Chaos
2015-02-11, 07:57 AM
Darkpact Demon 5BB

Creature - Demon R

Intimidate, Protection from green, Protection from white

Skip your next turn: Exile Darkpact Demon. Only an opponent may activate this ability.

7/7

Saposhiente
2015-02-11, 07:58 PM
Food run 3G

Sorcery R

You and your opponent leave the game in progress and go get something to eat. Your opponent gets to choose where.

Should be an un-card.

Zaydos
2015-02-11, 08:01 PM
Devilish Tutor 1BB
Sorcery - U
Any opponent may have you draw 3 cards, if none do you may search your library for a card and put it into your hand.

Ionbound
2015-02-11, 08:22 PM
Cruel Decision-RBBU

Sorcery-R

Target Player discards 3 Cards, or loses 7 life, or, if they control a creature, sacrifices all creatures they control.

So many ways I could torment you...Why don't you decide?

Mystic Muse
2015-02-11, 08:31 PM
Should be an un-card.

That was the idea. I thought it was obvious from what it did. How do I make it an un-card?

Saposhiente
2015-02-11, 08:35 PM
There's no standard way, but it has to be denoted. I like the style of putting (Un) after the rarity.

Fable Wright
2015-02-11, 09:39 PM
Cruel Decision-2RUB

Sorcery-R

Target Player discards 3 Cards, or loses 5 life, or sacrifices a creature.

This is severely overcosted. 1RBU is a much fairer cost, and even then, I would bump the options up to lose 7 life or sacrifice two creatures. When you're giving an opponent a choice between three things, then each option needs to be effects more powerful than you can get from the base cost. I'd never pay 5 mana to make a player sacrifice one creature, and paying just RBU to make a player sacrifice one creature is just on the edge of playability, even assuming that it's a modal spell or has good riders. Two creatures is powerful enough to bump the cost up to 1RBU, though, even with the other options available.

Ionbound
2015-02-11, 09:45 PM
Mmm. Manacosting is a bit weird, especially when you're basing it on something like Cruel Ultimatum.

Fable Wright
2015-02-11, 11:05 PM
Mmm. Manacosting is a bit weird, especially when you're basing it on something like Cruel Ultimatum.

Sacrificing all creatures actually makes the effect weaker, just as a head's up. You can't select the 'sacrifice one/two creatures' mode if you control no creatures, and would be forced to take the discard (if you had 3+ cards in hand) or the life hit. When it's sacrifice all creatures, then control decks can just choose to sacrifice their entire board... of 0 creatures.

As for the cost, if you want it reminiscent of Cruel Ultimatum, I'd stick with RBBU. That costing is unique and reminiscent of Cruel Ultimatum, while being acceptably powerful and cheap for its effect.

Saposhiente
2015-02-11, 11:37 PM
", or, if they control a creature, sacrifices"
Dubious wording.

Blue Ghost
2015-02-15, 01:56 PM
Judgment!

mystic1110:

Invest or Waste 1BB
Sorcery U
Target player reveals their hand. Separate those cards into two piles. That player chooses one pile and places it into their graveyard, and places the rest back into their hand.
I like this. Elegant use of pile splitting for a powerful but balanced discard spell. Think it would have been better if your opponent split the piles and you chose, to anchor to Fact or Fiction more strongly, but itís pretty good as is. Would watch the mana cost on this one; I think this is a good amount better than Mind Rot.

LaZodiac:

Beauty or Blighted 2{G/B}
Instant (U)
Target opponent may sacrifice a creature. If he/she does, draw a card. Otherwise, return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
In the day their radiance scatters, and at night it brings them safety.
This really doesnít feel green at all. But as a monoblack card, itís pretty cool. Edict with cantrip and reanimation are both pretty strong, but giving the opponent the choice means itís gonna be really hard to make this work. I feel like it would go best in a reanimator type deck, when you always have good targets for the second effect, but then the opponent would always choose the first. Does a reanimator deck want a cantripping Edict? Maybe. I donít know.

onasuma:

Cake or Death 2B
Sorcery - U
Target opponent may pay 7 life. If they do not, search your library for a card and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
"Uh, death, please. No, cake! Cake! Cake, sorry. Sorry..."
Very reminiscent of Browbeat, offering the opponent the choice between taking damage or giving you card advantage. With Browbeat, taking the 5 damage was the correct option most of the time, but you closed the power gap quite a bit here. It seems that the decks that most want the first effect (aggro) are the ones that would least want the second (combo), and vice versa, but there are plenty of decks that can make use of both. It offers an interesting and meaningful choice that rewards game knowledge. I like it.

Dr. Gunsforhands:

Omen of Stasis 2BB
Enchantment - MR
Whenever a permanent untaps, its controller loses 1 life.
Each permanent's controller may choose not to untap it during his or her untap step.
Now having flashbacks to playing against Stax. :smalleek: I hate this kind of card. But there is a target audience for it, and it doesnít seem THAT much worse than Static Orb. That said, itís really oppressive, and I donít think I would want to see this card printed in a modern environment.

CantigThimble:

Powers Untapped 2B
Sorcery - R
As an additional cost to cast ~ sacrifice a creature and pay 5 life.
Choose up to 4 cards you own from outside the game with different names. An opponent chooses 2 of them. Put the cards that were not chosen into your hand.
I havenít played with Gifts Ungiven, but I know itís extremely powerful, and banned in commander. This has a bigger cost than Gifts Ungiven, but the effect may be more powerful, since you donít have to take up library space with the cards you want to search. Iíd be really wary of printing something like this, considering the power level of its predecessor. Also, why the ones that were not chosen? Much more awkward wording for an identical effect.

Jormengand:

Tempt with Artifice 2WU
Sorcery - R
Tempting Offer - Search your library for an artifact and put it into your hand. Each opponent may search their library for an artifact and put it into their hand. For each opponent that does, search your library for an artifact and put it into your hand.
How often do opponents actually go for the offer with Tempting Offer cards? As you can build your deck around artifacts, this one will give you significantly more advantage than your opponents. Canít envision many scenarios where your opponents would want to take the offer. But itís a fairly costed artifact tutor with applicability in multiplayer, so itís decent. I donít think it needs to be multicolored; monoblue is good.

Saposhiente:

Tortuous Dilemma BB
Sorcery U
Choose a creature. Its controller may sacrifice it; if they do not, destroy all other creatures they control.

Would you sacrifice your lover to save your people?
Iíve seen this design proposed elsewhere. I liked it then, and I like it now. Itís much stronger than an Edict when the opponent has more than two creatures, while being completely useless when they have only one. It gives the opponent a meaningful choice a good portion of the time itís played. Looks really fun to play with and against. You will want to clean up the templating a bit.

Ninjaman:

Beyond Mortaility - 1BG
Sorcery - R
Target opponent chooses a creature card in you graveyard, return that card to the battlefield under your control, then put a +1/+1 counter on it for each creature card in your graveyard.
I canít decide if I like the second clause or not. On the one hand, it makes the card play very differently by having you focus on the quantity of your cards rather than quality, and increases the choice for your opponents. On the other hand, a reanimator where your opponent chooses the target is a really cool idea that I believe hasnít been done before, and adding on another effect to it detracts from the main idea. It also makes the power level harder to manage. This is already quite undercosted for a reanimator; adding extra power to the creature brought back might push it too much.

Mystic Muse:

Food run 3G

Sorcery R (Un)

On the one hand, it would be really annoying to have to leave to get food in the middle of a game. On the other, it could be a really good way to bond with the people youíre playing with. It could be problematic when people are leaving their cards in the shop while they go to get food, so youíd have to find some way to manage it. Thereís a seed of an idea there, but it needs refinement.

Diego Havoc:

Darkpact Demon 5BB

Creature - Demon R

Intimidate, Protection from green, Protection from white

Skip your next turn: Exile Darkpact Demon. Only an opponent may activate this ability.

7/7
So this is a black Time Warp for 7 that can be answered by non-white creature removal. Thatís fair, but not really all that exciting.

Zaydos:

Devilish Tutor 1BB
Sorcery - U
Any opponent may have you draw 3 cards, if none do you may search your library for a card and put it into your hand.
Both effects fulfill the same function, so the choice the opponent has isnít as meaningful. And as the opponent doesnít get to see the cards you draw or tutor, they wonít be able to get feedback on whether they made the right choice, which negates a lot of the appeal of this type of card, IMO.

firedaemon33:

Cruel Decision-RBBU

Sorcery-R

Target Player discards 3 Cards, or loses 7 life, or, if they control a creature, sacrifices all creatures they control.

None of these effects are really worth the cost or such a heavy color commitment. Having three disparate choices weakens the card a lot, as the opponent is almost always going to be able to take one of them without too much loss. This can be done just as well in monoblack. Cruel Ultimatum could have too, but the multicoloredness there was partially justified by power level, where here it is not.

Winner:

Saposhiente, for an elegant removal card that offers a meaningful choice while preserving utility.

A lot of good designs this time around. This is a fairly underexplored design space, and one that's rather difficult to do well, but you've hit on a lot of great ideas here. Good job, and see you next time!

Saposhiente
2015-02-15, 09:10 PM
Thanks!

For the next challenge, design a card based on this image:
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs8/i/2005/347/6/7/Valley_of_the_Mind_by_jeffhoppdotnet.jpg

LaZodiac
2015-02-15, 09:56 PM
Mind of the Ink-Treader 2RGWU
Enchantment (MR)
Whenever a player casts an instant or sorcery spell, if that spell targets only one creature, copy the spell for each other creature that spell could target. Each copy targets a different one of those creatures
As it breathes, the world corrupts, a twisted world of chaos.

CantigThimble
2015-02-16, 01:20 AM
On powers untapped, I wondered the same thing about the not chosen part, I realized it's to prevent just picking 2 cards with different names and forcing your opponent to give you both or if you needed 4 targets, to prevent the spell from fizzling on a small library when you had already started searching. It makes it seem more complex but actually makes resolution simpler. With this card, if you had a small sideboard you could abuse it without this wording.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-02-16, 02:18 AM
Warp Kami 3RRR
Creature - Spirit MR
Whenever you cast a spirit or arcane spell, each player shuffles a permanent he or she controls into his or her library, then reveals the top card of his or her library. Each player then puts all permanent cards revealed this way onto the battlefield and the rest into his or her graveyard.
7/4

Jormengand
2015-02-16, 07:47 AM
Warp Storm 2RR
Sorcery - R
Warp Storm deals damage equal to the number of cards in exile divided as you wish between any number of target creatures or players.
"I will tear your world asunder and split your skies in two."
- Johannas Waize

Ionbound
2015-02-16, 08:52 AM
Hand of Madness-1UB

Sorcery-R

Flip a coin: If head, draw two cards. If tails, target opponent discards two cards.

Madness brings inspiration and ruin in equal measures.

Fable Wright
2015-02-16, 10:11 AM
Hand of Madness-2UB

Sorcery-R

Flip a coin: If head, draw two cards. If tails, target opponent discards two cards.

...This costs at least {2} too much. Divination costs 2U, Mindrot 2B. Why would a worse version of them (due to a loss of control over their options) as a Rare cost more?

Ionbound
2015-02-16, 10:19 AM
Because I'm bad at pricing things? It seemed like the versatility and the 'No matter what happens, it's good for you' would mandate a higher cost. But yeah, what you said makes sense.

Lord Ruby34
2015-02-16, 11:21 AM
Gift of the Mad God 3UR
Enchantment R
Whenever you cast a non-creature spell you may draw a card. If you do each opponent may draw a card.

The blessings of the Mad God are never straightforward, and always come with a cost.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-02-16, 11:54 AM
Pseudoplanar Landscape

Land R

Pseudoplanar Landscape enters the battlefield as a copy of target land and gains "Pay 1 life: Return this land to your hand".

Fable Wright
2015-02-16, 12:32 PM
Reality Failure X
Enchantment R
Sunburst (this card enters the battlefield with a charge counter on it for each color of mana spent to cast it.)
Remove a charge counter from reality failure: Until the beginning of your next upkeep, players may play noncreature cards from graveyards they don't own. If an instant or sorcery is cast this way, exile it as it resolves until the beginning of your next upkeep.

CantigThimble
2015-02-16, 08:39 PM
DM of darkness you might want to add a clause to exile the spells or put them on the bottom of their owners deck.

Field of Chromatization WUBRG
Enchantment MR
At the beginning of your upkeep, exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a colored card. Until end of turn you may play that card without paying its mana cost. Put the other exiled cards on the bottom of your library in a random order.
At the beginning of your upkeep if your devotion to each color is at least 6 you win the game.

Blue Ghost
2015-02-19, 06:31 PM
Fruit of Reverie 2UG
Enchantment (R)
Whenever one or more cards are put into your graveyard from the top of your library, you may return one of those cards from your graveyard to your hand.
ďDreams are fleeting and elusive, but for those who can grasp it, the fruit they bear is beyond compare.Ē óAshiok, dreamsage

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/FruitofReverie_zps71af150d.jpg

mystic1110
2015-02-19, 06:34 PM
Dreamscape
Land M
T: Add three mana of any color to your mana pool. Spend this mana only on costs that contain {X}.

Ninjaman
2015-02-20, 02:21 AM
Unbound Enthropy - 5RRR
Sorcery - M
Shuffle your library. Then exile the top five cards of your library. Until end of turn, you may cast cards not named "Unbound Enthropy" exiled this way without paying their manacost.

Fable Wright
2015-02-20, 03:26 AM
Fruit of Reverie 2UG
Enchantment (R)
Whenever one or more cards are put into your graveyard from your library, you may return one of those cards from your graveyard to your hand.
ďDreams are fleeting and elusive, but for those who can grasp it, the fruit they bear is beyond compare.Ē óAshiok, dreamsage

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/FruitofReverie_zps71af150d.jpg
This... seems a bit overpowered. Splinterfright/Curse of the Bloody Tome/self mill in general aside, this makes Fact or Fiction, Intuition, and Gifts Ungiven unbelievably powerful. Out of color, Entomb suddenly becomes a one-mana instant-speed Demonic Tutor. It's a very cool idea, but the effect might just be too strong.

Blue Ghost
2015-02-21, 02:16 AM
This... seems a bit overpowered. Splinterfright/Curse of the Bloody Tome/self mill in general aside, this makes Fact or Fiction, Intuition, and Gifts Ungiven unbelievably powerful. Out of color, Entomb suddenly becomes a one-mana instant-speed Demonic Tutor. It's a very cool idea, but the effect might just be too strong.

That is a point. Would it be better if I changed it to only working for cards sent to the graveyard from the top of the library? It can still generate a lot of card advantage with self-mill as intended, but would reduce some of the more broken interactions.

Fable Wright
2015-02-21, 03:08 AM
That is a point. Would it be better if I changed it to only working for cards sent to the graveyard from the top of the library? It can still generate a lot of card advantage with self-mill as intended, but would reduce some of the more broken interactions.

This might work, actually. It'll still be extremely strong with Ghoulcaller's Bell and Codex Shredder (which do see play in a deck called 'Top Control'), but those cards are niche enough that it might not be that big a concern. It would definitely go a long way toward making this card printable.

Saposhiente
2015-02-26, 01:28 AM
With no further delay, Judging time!

Warp Kami 3RRR
Creature - Spirit MR
Whenever you cast a spirit or arcane spell, each player shuffles a permanent he or she controls into his or her library, then reveals the top card of his or her library. Each player then puts all permanent cards revealed this way onto the battlefield and the rest into his or her graveyard.
7/4
The only red thing about this card seems to be that it has much more attack than toughness, and that it's highly random. Further, most decks interested in this effect would rather have less attack for less mana, and in any case this is a game coin flip that you would need blue scrying to have any control over. I can see the idea for the image connection, but I don't agree with the coloring or design.

Warp Storm 2RR
Sorcery - R
Warp Storm deals damage equal to the number of cards in exile divided as you wish between any number of target creatures or players.
"I will tear your world asunder and split your skies in two."
- Johannas Waize
Exile matters, interpreting the land as chaotic exile. Very interesting, but I'm afraid it's too easy to get a lot of cards into exile: just Dredge aggressively and then use one of various exile-all-in-graveyard effects and Warp Storm the opponent for lethal. This needs to at best be a combo board wipe, or possibly be finite-target with lower mana cost.

Hand of Madness-1UB

Sorcery-R

"Heads I win, tails you lose. I almost thought this was some crazy overpowered enchantment until I realized you had misused the colon (it looks like a cost). It's shocking to see a coin flip card not be red. At the same time, you can't print this in mono-red. Therefore perhaps you could have made it RUB with additional upside, perhaps like a cheaper Madness cost (how fitting).
I suppose the titular hand refers to the hand spiraling around the tree? It feels uninspired to me; flipping a coin and gaining card advantage either way is not what I'd call madness, nor the level of chaos present in the image. For a card with "Madness" in the title, this is far too sane.

Gift of the Mad God 3UR
Enchantment R
Whenever you cast a non-creature spell you may draw a card. If you do each opponent may draw a card.

The blessings of the Mad God are never straightforward, and always come with a cost.
Five mana for slow Prosperity (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=376460) that can't even mill your opponents out? Nobody will play it.
Further, you say the Mad God's blessings are never straightforward, but from where I stand drawing a card is about as straightforward as it gets. This card's mechanic is simply not exciting enough for its flavor.

Pseudoplanar Landscape

Land R

Pseudoplanar Landscape enters the battlefield as a copy of target land and gains "Pay 1 life: Return this land to your hand".
Strictly better than the excellent Vesuva (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=287332). The flavor is fitting, but does not carry the card.

Reality Failure X
Enchantment R
Sunburst (this card enters the battlefield with a charge counter on it for each color of mana spent to cast it.)
Remove a charge counter from reality failure: Until the beginning of your next upkeep, players may play noncreature cards from graveyards they don't own. If an instant or sorcery is cast this way, exile it as it resolves until the beginning of your next upkeep.
An excellent choice for flavor, this card captures the image well. It concerns me however that this is would be the only non-Artifact non-Eldrazi card with no colored mana involved anywhere in it other than Karn Liberated (which some people said should have been an artifact for flavor). This could realistically be cast for one mana of any color, which would imply that this ability fits every color individually, which it does not. I do not think this card is printable, and "breaking the rules is part of the flavor" doesn't justify it to me either.

Fruit of Reverie 2UG
Enchantment (R)
Whenever one or more cards are put into your graveyard from the top of your library, you may return one of those cards from your graveyard to your hand.

A much calmer interpretation than most other entries so far, appropriate for its calm effect. This card effectively embodies an aspect of the image, with an interesting effect that is costed appropriately. Calling cards fruits is a stretch to justify green mana, but this point is minor when the important blue mana is present.

Dreamscape
Land M
T: Add three mana of any color to your mana pool. Spend this mana only on costs that contain {X}.
I fail to see the strong connection between dreaming and making your variable-power spells boatloads more powerful. With all the hoops you have to jump through just to get two mana from a land this may be too much even with its restriction. In any case, this card is a fairly generic interpretation of the image; it does little to spark the imagination.

Unbound Enthropy - 5RRR
Sorcery - M
Shuffle your library. Then exile the top five cards of your library. Until end of turn, you may cast cards not named "Unbound Enthropy" exiled this way without paying their manacost.
Good implementation of the chaos interpretation, but even for a Timmy rare this feels like too much to me. I compare it to Omniscience (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=omniscience) and shudder; sometimes it's a great 2 mana discount that maybe lets you access more cards than you had in hand, and other times you cry because you invested your game plan in the top 5 cards of your deck with no chance for mulligan.

Blue Ghost, with Fruit of Reverie!

Fruit of Reverie 2UG
Enchantment (R)

This card was the clear winner with the best combination of interestingness, flavor, and printability.

LaZodiac
2015-02-26, 01:32 AM
Forgot my card. Silly quote system, dropping quotes :smalltongue:

That said, congrats to the winner. Sure looks familiar to the last one :smallamused:

Saposhiente
2015-02-26, 02:12 AM
Damn it, I made the exact same mistake. Note to self: double check I have all the entries.
Your card had good flavor, but usually boiled down to "{X}: Draw X cards for each creature, then your opponent wipes the board to prevent you from casting Act of Aggression (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=230076). If your opponent has no removal saved, GG, but the same can be said of most 6 mana cards." It had a shot at being a runner-up, but I would have likely given it to Blue Ghost for having more focus on a clearer interpretation.

LaZodiac
2015-02-26, 02:17 AM
Damn it, I made the exact same mistake. Note to self: double check I have all the entries.
Your card had good flavor, but usually boiled down to "{X}: Draw X cards for each creature, then your opponent wipes the board to prevent you from casting Act of Aggression (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=230076). If your opponent has no removal saved, GG, but the same can be said of most 6 mana cards." It had a shot at being a runner-up, but I would have likely given it to Blue Ghost for having more focus on a clearer interpretation.

Understandable. And yeah my idea for the card was just "these four colors are most prominent in the picture, so here's a random Nephilim World Enchantment. But not actually a World Enchantment since those don't exist."

CantigThimble
2015-02-26, 10:29 AM
Speaking of missed entries... :smalltongue:

Blue Ghost
2015-02-26, 12:33 PM
Thanks! I wanted my card to be monoblue, but blue doesn't do graveyard recursion (though it may have been acceptable bleed in this case, as it just turns mill into draw), and green seemed more fitting than black.

Next contest: Design a hybrid card.

LaZodiac
2015-02-26, 12:50 PM
Howling Scarecrow {2/U}
Artifact Creature - Scarecrow (U)
When ~ enters the battlefield, if {U} was paid, target player puts the top three cards of his or her library into the graveyard. Otherwise, put a +1+1 counter on it.
1/1
At least the birds stay away.

Fable Wright
2015-02-26, 01:04 PM
Howling Scarecrow {2/U}
When ~ enters the battlefield, if {U} was paid, target player puts the top three cards of his or her library into the graveyard. Otherwise, put a +1+1 counter on it.
2/2

This is either a 2/2 for U or a colorless 3/3 for 2. This does not seem to be properly balanced.

LaZodiac
2015-02-26, 01:12 PM
This is either a 2/2 for U or a colorless 3/3 for 2. This does not seem to be properly balanced.

True. Hmm...I'll lower it to 1/1, I wasn't sure which way it should of gone. Thanks.

mystic1110
2015-02-26, 01:14 PM
Haha . . I made a filler card and totally forgot to update it!

On the other hand:

White Prism Elemental (W/U)(W/B)(W/R)(W/G)
Creature - Elemental U
Flying, Lifelink, Firststrike, Vigilance
3/3

Jormengand
2015-02-26, 02:22 PM
Millhouse Manastorm 1(U/R)
Legendary creature - Gnome Mage R
When Millhouse Manastorm enters the battlefield, during target opponent's next turn, that player can cast instant or sorcery spells for 0 (If they have an X in their casting cost, X is 0.)
Prepare to face the might of Millhouse Manastorm!
4/4

Yes, this is kind of a placeholder. I'll make something more sensible later.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-02-26, 09:03 PM
The Mercenary {R/W}{R/W}{RP}{RP}{WP}{WP}
Legendary Creature-Praetor; MR

Metalcraft-Creatures you control have infect.

Long exiled, he values only blood and darksteel. Each is as good as the other.

3/3

Fortuna
2015-02-26, 09:22 PM
Gruesome Might G{G/B}
Instant - U
Target creature gets +4/+4 until end of turn. If you spend B to play this spell, that creature also gets deathtouch until end of turn.

Saposhiente
2015-02-26, 11:38 PM
Metalcraft-Creatures you control

You want "Creatures you control with Metalcraft" "Metalcraft: ..."

Lord Ruby34
2015-02-26, 11:42 PM
You want "Creatures you control with Metalcraft"

Are you sure? Because the way he worded it is also an ability.

LaZodiac
2015-02-26, 11:48 PM
Technically, it should read "If you control three or more artifacts, creatures you control have infect."

Remember, it's not an ability, it's just a reminder word. It's like Ferocious and Raid :smallamused:

Ninjaman
2015-02-27, 03:39 AM
Goblin explodomancer - 1(U/R)(U/R)
Creature - Goblin Wizard - R
Sacrifice Goblin Explodomancer: Copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
Sacrifice Goblin Explodomancer: You may choose new targets for target spell.
1/1

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-02-27, 10:14 PM
Tenure 1(u/w)
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature can't attack or block and has, "2, T: draw a card."

Saposhiente
2015-02-27, 10:16 PM
Technically, it should read "If you control three or more artifacts, creatures you control have infect."

Remember, it's not an ability, it's just a reminder word. It's like Ferocious and Raid :smallamused:

Oh, derp, he just meant to use a colon rather than a hyphen.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-02-27, 10:26 PM
Actually, no. Metalcraft uses a hyphen. Why, I have no idea. Check out Ardent Recruit (http://magiccards.info/mbs/en/2.html).

LaZodiac
2015-02-27, 10:57 PM
Actually, no. Metalcraft uses a hyphen. Why, I have no idea. Check out Ardent Recruit (http://magiccards.info/mbs/en/2.html).

It uses a hypen because like Raid and Ferocious, it's a...I forget the term Magic uses, but the basic idea is that it's a word that means "Yo remember this card does a thing based on a thing"

I think they called it an Ability word.

Blue Ghost
2015-02-27, 11:06 PM
It uses a hypen because like Raid and Ferocious, it's a...I forget the term Magic uses, but the basic idea is that it's a word that means "Yo remember this card does a thing based on a thing"

I think they called it an Ability word.

Ability word is correct.

"Creatures you control with Metalcraft" does not work with the rules, since ability words are not recognized by the game.

onasuma
2015-02-28, 01:58 AM
Passionbloom 2(R/G)
Creature - Fungas U
Whenever an opponent plays a spell during your turn, put a spore counter on ~.
Remove 3 spore counters from ~: put a 1/1 saproling token into play.
Remove 3 spore counters from ~: draw a card.
1/2

Beacon of Chaos
2015-02-28, 06:32 PM
Minotaur Swordbreaker 2(W/R)(W/R)

Creature - Minotaur Warrior U

Whenever ~ blocks or becomes blocked by a creature, destroy all equipment attached to that creature.

3/3

Zaydos
2015-02-28, 06:55 PM
Flux Storm 1(R/U)(R/U)
Instant R
If Red was spent to cast this spell you may copy target sorcery or instant, you may choose new targets for the copy.
If Blue was spent to cast this spell you may counter target non-creature spell.
(If both were spent do both.)
Reality exists not only in one state but in many.

CantigThimble
2015-02-28, 08:21 PM
Bloodtalon Pirate 2(U/R)
Creature - Viashino Rogue C
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player you may draw a card, if you do, discard a card.
3/1
A Viashino is only as clever as his claws, and a member of the Bloodtalon sea-clan can slice a mans belly with the same ease he slices a purse.

Lord Ruby34
2015-03-01, 03:44 AM
Bloodcrazed Rhinoceros 3{R/G}{R/G}
Creature -- Rhino U
Trample
When Bloodcrazed Rhino attacks, untap each creature defending player controls. Those creatures must block ~ this turn if able.
You can't run, you can't hide, you can only hope it picks someone else first.
4/4

Fortuna
2015-03-05, 07:24 PM
Judging time?

Blue Ghost
2015-03-06, 02:32 AM
Judging time!

Howling Scarecrow {2/U}
1/1
Colorless hybrid mana is a design space that hasnít been explored much. Artifacts with different effects depending on what colors you paid for them is an interesting idea, but in practice, you donít have full control over what mode you play it in, because to play it for its colorless mode, you have to have two mana outside its main color. This design is a bit complex, and would be red-flagged as common, but I still think I would rather see it in common than uncommon, because as an uncommon, this is just disappointing. The immediate comparison that comes to mind is Ainok Guide, which also gives you a choice between a 2/2 and a 1/1 with marginal upside, and is not a very exciting card. A 1/1 is not worth a card, and milling for 3 doesnít make up for it. A 2/2 colorless is fine, but not exciting, especially if youíre playing it in a blue deck and canít pay blue for the 2/2 mode. This is a very low-power card. And itís fine to have low-power commons, but this card wants to be part of a cycle, and itís hard for me to imagine other designs in the cycle that would be good enough to play.

White Prism Elemental (W/U)(W/B)(W/R)(W/G)
Creature - Elemental U
Flying, Lifelink, Firststrike, Vigilance
3/3
Cute design, with the white/other color keyword thing going on. Appeals to my Melvin sensibilities. But a card is judged on how it plays, not how it reads. The unique costing does have some gameplay significance in deckbuilding, in that the more colors you have, the less heavily you have to be in white to play this. But once the game starts, the cost has little impact on the game, and seems to be there just to be cute. And the card itself is a keyword soup, which is pretty powerful, but doesnít create much unique gameplay. This card also wants to be rare rather than uncommon, for both power and complexity reasons.

Millhouse Manastorm 1(U/R)
Legendary creature - Gnome Mage R
When Millhouse Manastorm enters the battlefield, during target opponent's next turn, that player can cast instant or sorcery spells for 0 (If they have an X in their casting cost, X is 0.)
Prepare to face the might of Millhouse Manastorm!
4/4

Yes, this is kind of a placeholder. I'll make something more sensible later.
You forgot to make something sensible. :smalltongue:
Millhouse Manastorm is a bad card in Hearthstone, and in Magic, itís probably worse. Spells in Hearthstone tend to be responsive rather than proactive (speaking from an arena perspective, since I hardly ever play Hearthstone constructed), so free spells for a turn usually wonít put you too far behind. In Magic, instants and sorceries have much more potential to completely blow you out. And if your opponent happens not to have any instants and sorceries, a 2-mana 4/4 is much more difficult to deal with in Magic than in Hearthstone (at least in limited; I think itís fair to say that a Magic 4/4 is roughly equivalent to a Hearthstone 6/6). All in all, Millhouse is much too swingy.

The Mercenary {R/W}{R/W}{RP}{RP}{WP}{WP}
Legendary Creature-Praetor; MR

Metalcraft-Creatures you control have infect.

Long exiled, he values only blood and darksteel. Each is as good as the other.

3/3
Convoluted mana costs are a big warning sign. Theyíre very seldom justified by the gameplay, and add a significant degree of comprehensional complexity to a card for not much gain. As for the gameplay, I have a hard time seeing what kind of deck wants this. A finisher in an artifact-centric deck, maybe? Granting infect to creatures is powerful, but the setup cost is very high, and for the same mana cost, Iíd rather play something like True Conviction (to give an example from Mirrodin).

EDIT: I failed to realize that you can pay life instead of mana for this. See what I mean about comprehensional complexity? :smalltongue:
I wouldn't want to see this played for 2 mana. Especially in an infect format, where the life loss isn't that significant a downside.

Gruesome Might G{G/B}
Instant - U
Target creature gets +4/+4 until end of turn. If you spend B to play this spell, that creature also gets deathtouch until end of turn.
This does not need to be hybrid. The design would be much cleaner as 1G. Also, in what circumstance would you need to grant deathtouch along with +4/+4? Iím sure such situations do come up occasionally, but theyíre so marginal that I can say itís not worth the extra text on the card.

Goblin explodomancer - 1(U/R)(U/R)
Creature - Goblin Wizard - R
Sacrifice Goblin Explodomancer: Copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
Sacrifice Goblin Explodomancer: You may choose new targets for target spell.
1/1
So itís a one-time Twincast or Redirect on a stick. I donít think Redirect has been done in red before, but I guess itís close enough to copying that it wouldnít be that big a color pie violation to give red access to it. I think itís a fine card. Something about the aesthetics of it doesnít sit right with me though. Two separate activated abilities with a self-sacrifice cost and nothing else just rubs me the wrong way. I would prefer this as a modal instant.

Tenure 1(u/w)
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature can't attack or block and has, "2, T: draw a card."
This is not a hybrid card. The first clause is strictly white, and the second is strictly blue. I donít like cards that give mixed signals as to what to do with the card. This is a bad removal spell, and slightly better as a draw engine, but either way you play it, youíre either giving your opponent a major benefit or giving up your own creature, and both are very feel-bad.

Minotaur Swordbreaker 2(W/R)(W/R)

Creature - Minotaur Warrior U

Whenever ~ blocks or becomes blocked by a creature, destroy all equipment attached to that creature.

3/3
Red and white both do artifact destruction, so this is a perfectly acceptable hybrid design. How relevant it is will obviously depend a lot on how prevalent equipment is in its format. For a format that needs answers to equipments, this is a pretty neat one.

Passionbloom 2(R/G)
Creature - Fungas U
Whenever an opponent plays a spell during your turn, put a spore counter on ~.
Remove 3 spore counters from ~: put a 1/1 saproling token into play.
Remove 3 spore counters from ~: draw a card.
1/2
This is also not hybrid. Red does not make saproling tokens, nor get straightforward card draw. (Green doesnít get this kind of card draw either, actually.) Fungi get spore counters on upkeep for a reason, and having one with a different trigger adds a significant amount of complexity.

Flux Storm 1(R/U)(R/U)
Instant R
If Red was spent to cast this spell you may copy target sorcery or instant, you may choose new targets for the copy.
If Blue was spent to cast this spell you may counter target non-creature spell.
(If both were spent do both.)
Reality exists not only in one state but in many.
This is beautiful. A Shadowmoor-style hybrid that cares about colors spent, that highlights the different ways that red and blue, the two spell colors, interact with spells, with beautiful symmetry. It reads like it would play very well as well. You can use it as a Reverberate, Redirect, or straight-up counter, and can on rare occasions copy your own spell and counter your opponentís at the same time. I love it. My only nitpick would that maybe you would want the blue mode to counter only instants or sorceries, to match up with the red mode even more tightly.

Bloodtalon Pirate 2(U/R)
Creature - Viashino Rogue C
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player you may draw a card, if you do, discard a card.
3/1
A Viashino is only as clever as his claws, and a member of the Bloodtalon sea-clan can slice a mans belly with the same ease he slices a purse.
I like it. Looting is a thing that red and blue do equally well, and an aggressive creature that loots on combat damage is a very elegant design. I would definitely expect to see a card very similar to this in the next hybrid set. I also really like the picture of a viashino pirate, and the placement of pirates in blue/red hybrid. (Though Iíd want to see some black there as well.)

Bloodcrazed Rhinoceros 3{R/G}{R/G}
Creature -- Rhino U
Trample
When Bloodcrazed Rhino attacks, untap each creature defending player controls. Those creatures must block ~ this turn if able.
You can't run, you can't hide, you can only hope it picks someone else first.
4/4
This effect is more commonly seen in green, but looking through cards, it seems that red does get it as well. Itís a powerful fatty that can kill a thing every turn, and might kill multiple things in a turn. It does seem quite a bit more powerful than other cards with similar abilities, so I would want to playtest it and make sure itís not broken before putting it in a set.

The contest goes to Zaydos, with Flux Storm!

LaZodiac
2015-03-06, 02:44 AM
Congrats Zaydos! Looking at all the cards, you definitly deserved the win. I'd play that card in my Jhoira deck like crazy :smallbiggrin:

Zaydos
2015-03-06, 02:59 AM
Thank you both. I went back and forth on whether it could counter non-instants/sorceries and finally decided that with 2 colored mana and 3 cost it probably should be full negate. And I guess I should pick a contest before I go to bed and forget. I will not go with my knee jerk idea (I'm making a Simic Initiate (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=107441) class so that's reinforcing it... so instead.

New Challenge: Make a card which uses Devotion in some way.

LaZodiac
2015-03-06, 03:35 AM
Dakara, the Matron 3GU
Legendary Enchantment Creature - Merfolk Cleric (R)
Constellation - When ~ or another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, put a 0/3 blue and green Kraken creature token onto the battlefield.
If your devotion to blue and green is 7 or more, put a 7/7 blue and green Kraken creature token with Trample onto the battlefield instead.
2/4
"Our little children grow up so fast. Clearly the work of Kiora."

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-06, 01:57 PM
Pyroclasmic Crescendo 2R
Instant; R

Add X red mana to your mana pool, where X is your devotion to red.
If your devotion to red is 9 or greater, creatures you control get "R: This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn" until end of turn.

Jormengand
2015-03-06, 02:07 PM
Knowledge Devotee 2UU
Creature - Human Wizard R
Your devotion to blue is increased by the number of cards in your hand.
3/3

Peace Devotee 2WW
Creature - Human Cleric R
Your devotion to white is increased by the number of cards in exile.
3/3

Death Devotee 2BB
Your devotion to black is increased by the number of creatures you own in graveyards.
3/3

Rage Devotee 2RR
Creature - Human Barbarian R
Your devotion to red is increased by the amount of damage dealt this turn.
3/3

Power Devotee 2GG
Creature - Human Hunter R
Your devotion to green is increased by the number of +1/+1 counters on creatures you control.
3/3

CantigThimble
2015-03-06, 02:23 PM
Call of Erebos B
Instant U
Choose a target colored creature. If your devotion to black is greater than or equal to the creature's controller's devotion to any of its colors destroy that creature.

mystic1110
2015-03-06, 03:16 PM
Flame-Devoted Templar WW
Creature - Human Knight R
First strike
R: ~ has +2/+0 until end of turn. You may only activate this ability x times a turn, where x is equal to your devotion to red.
"If god is what vanquishes shadows, what god is more powerful than fire?!"
2/2

Blue Ghost
2015-03-06, 04:21 PM
God-Forged Hammer 3
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equipped creature gets +X/+X, where X is your devotion to red. If your devotion to red is 5 or more, equipped creature has trample.
Equip {3}
In ages past, the gods of Valla bestowed to humanity the weapons with which to drive back the giants. These weapons still call to those on whom the godsí favor rests.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/God-Forged%20Hammer_zps3bxppc72.jpg

(Valla being the plane (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=198084) from Planechase.)

Beacon of Chaos
2015-03-09, 06:02 AM
Sword of Strength and Glory 2

Artifact - Equipment R

Equipped creature gets +2/+2.

When equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, if your devotion to green is 5 or greater, put three +1/+1 counters on equipped creature.

When equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, if your devotion to white is 5 or greater, you may search your library for an aura card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.

Equip 2

Ninjaman
2015-03-09, 06:16 AM
Brightscales - 1W
Enchantment - Aura - U
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +X/+X where x is your devotion to white.
Few things shine brighter than the glory of fighting for a just cause.

braveheart
2015-03-11, 12:17 PM
Chromatos, the First God WUBRG
Legendary Enchantment Creature - God MR
Indestructible
As long as your total devotion to all colors is less than 10 Chromatos, the First God is not a creature
At the beginning of your upkeep, gain life equal to your devotion to white, you may pay (X) and draw X cards where X is your devotion to blue, Target opponent loses life equal to your devotion to black, and deal damage to target creature equal to your devotion to red, target creature gets +Y/+Y until end of turn where Y is your devotion to green
6/6

Lord Ruby34
2015-03-11, 09:53 PM
Okyanus, the Tide Ensouled 2UU
Legendary Creature - Elemental R
Islandwalk
Okyanus has power and toughness equal to your devotion to blue.
When Okyanus deals combat damage to a player you may return target permanent that player controls to its owner's hand.
*/*

onasuma
2015-03-12, 06:47 AM
Deitific Intervention 2RW
Sorcery U
~ deals damage to target creature equal to your devotion to red. You gain life equal to your devotion to white.

enderlord99
2015-03-12, 06:47 PM

...That looks like an em-dash to me. Not a "hyphen."

r2d2go
2015-03-15, 05:04 AM
Shrine of Theros 3
Artifact - R
Your devotion to each color is increased by 2.
T - Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

Lord Ruby34
2015-03-15, 04:40 PM
So, Judging should be up soon?

Zaydos
2015-03-15, 05:25 PM
Yes, just was busy today and yesterday. But free at last so it will be up soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Dakara, the Matron 3GU
Legendary Enchantment Creature - Merfolk Cleric (R)
Constellation - When ~ or another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, put a 0/3 blue and green Kraken creature token onto the battlefield.
If your devotion to blue and green is 7 or more, put a 7/7 blue and green Kraken creature token with Trample onto the battlefield instead.
2/4
"Our little children grow up so fast. Clearly the work of Kiora."

I'd have liked it better to see the tokens as mono-blue because 7/7 Blue Kraken tokens are already a thing. That said this ends up being multiple 7/7 tramplers for 5 mana which is probably too much.

Pyroclasmic Crescendo 2R
Instant; R

Add X red mana to your mana pool, where X is your devotion to red.
If your devotion to red is 9 or greater, creatures you control get "R: This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn" until end of turn.

Red burst mana that requires a previous build up, and can eventually turn into pump. I like it, though would have liked to see the additional ability at a lower devotion.

Knowledge Devotee 2UU
Creature - Human Wizard R
Your devotion to blue is increased by the number of cards in your hand.
3/3

Neat effect a devotion enabler instead of a card that uses devotion directly. Probably should have been Uncommon.

Call of Erebos B
Instant U
Choose a target colored creature. If your devotion to black is greater than or equal to the creature's controller's devotion to any of its colors destroy that creature.

I really like this. A nice little design that I like to see.

Flame-Devoted Templar WW
Creature - Human Knight R
First strike
R: ~ has +2/+0 until end of turn. You may only activate this ability x times a turn, where x is equal to your devotion to red.
"If god is what vanquishes shadows, what god is more powerful than fire?!"
2/2

2/2 First Strike with limited super firebreathing. Ultimately it just strikes me as off. I do like that you used devotion to a different color, however.

God-Forged Hammer 3
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equipped creature gets +X/+X, where X is your devotion to red. If your devotion to red is 5 or more, equipped creature has trample.
Equip {3}
In ages past, the gods of Valla bestowed to humanity the weapons with which to drive back the giants. These weapons still call to those on whom the godsí favor rests.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/God-Forged%20Hammer_zps3bxppc72.jpg

(Valla being the plane (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=198084) from Planechase.)

Have I mentioned I love Blanchwood Armor? Seems about properly costed, good power in a mono-red deck, and like it could be quite fun.

Sword of Strength and Glory 2

Artifact - Equipment R

Equipped creature gets +2/+2.

When equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, if your devotion to green is 5 or greater, put three +1/+1 counters on equipped creature.

When equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, if your devotion to white is 5 or greater, you may search your library for an aura card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.

Equip 2

It's a sword :smalleek: It's a... pretty balanced sword. I would have made the devotion actually lower in this case (4), but it's an ambitious card. Auras and +1/+1 counters are two of my favorite things.

Brightscales - 1W
Enchantment - Aura - U
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +X/+X where x is your devotion to white.
Few things shine brighter than the glory of fighting for a just cause.

Very similar to the God-Forged Hammer. I like the effect, but I think of the two I prefer the hammer. They both have different roles and purposes, though.

Chromatos, the First God WUBRG
Legendary Enchantment Creature - God MR
Indestructible
As long as your total devotion to all colors is less than 10 Chromatos, the First God is not a creature
At the beginning of your upkeep, gain life equal to your devotion to white, you may pay (X) and draw X cards where X is your devotion to blue, Target opponent loses life equal to your devotion to black, and deal damage to target creature equal to your devotion to red, target creature gets +Y/+Y until end of turn where Y is your devotion to green
6/6

This card just seems too busy. It does half of its devotion on its own which is so-so, but the bigger thing is the Blue devotion is much better than any of the other four.

Okyanus, the Tide Ensouled 2UU
Legendary Creature - Elemental R
Islandwalk
Okyanus has power and toughness equal to your devotion to blue.
When Okyanus deals combat damage to a player you may return target permanent that player controls to its owner's hand.
*/*

Against a non-blue opponent this is pretty useful, especially with blue's enchantments to make things into islands, against someone playing blue it's definitely too much. The fact that it bounces lands is problematic, and probably should have the non-land clause.

Deitific Intervention 2RW
Sorcery U
~ deals damage to target creature equal to your devotion to red. You gain life equal to your devotion to white.

Simple, basic. I don't dislike it, but it doesn't wow me. It probably should have been RW like Lightning Helix, as is it's heavily overcosted. In fact you could probably have made it (R/W)(R/W) since to gain the Red effect you need Red permanents and for the White effect you need White permanents.

Shrine of Theros 3
Artifact - R
Your devotion to each color is increased by 2.
T - Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

I really like this as a concept. Only worth it if you're playing multicolored things that care about devotion, but could be fun then. Definitely seems like less than a rare, however; maybe an uncommon, or even common depending upon the set.

Diego Havoc. While Blue Ghost and r2d2go were strong competitors I like the ambitiousness here.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-03-15, 06:34 PM
Me? Oh, thank you very much!

Some say the best defence is a good offence. I'm not so sure.

Design a creature card with defender.

LaZodiac
2015-03-15, 06:42 PM
Doran, The First Kin-Tree 2WBG
Legendary Creature - Treefolk Shaman (MR)
Defender
Outlast {2}
Each creature you control with a +1+1 counter on it assigns combat damage equal to its toughness rather than its power.
0/7

In a pretend fantasy world this is an Abzan Doran card, if that wasn't clear.

onasuma
2015-03-16, 03:54 AM
Fortress Walls 2WG
Creature - wall
Defender
Creatures you control without defender have hexproof.
0/3

CantigThimble
2015-03-16, 11:11 AM
Puzzle Shield 1U
Creature - Illusion U
Defender
When Puzzle Shield dies you may draw a card.
2U, Sacrifice Puzzle Shield: Draw a card.
0/3
The solution is hidden behind tireless effort and thought, or you can just hit it.

Jormengand
2015-03-16, 01:58 PM
Shieldbearer 3WW
Creature - Angel Soldier R
Defender, Flying, Guardian for humans (When a human you control is the target of a spell or ability, you may change the target to Shieldbearer.)
2/4

Blue Ghost
2015-03-16, 03:23 PM
Lightning Wall 2R
Creature - Elemental Wall (U)
Defender
"Furt, you go first."
6/1

braveheart
2015-03-16, 07:04 PM
Eternity Maze 3WWW
Creature - Wall - R
Defender
Creatures that damage Eternity Maze are exiled
When Eternity Maze leaves the battlefield return all permanents exiled by Eternity maze to the battlefield under their owner's control
0/4

Warmatt
2015-03-16, 07:51 PM
Civil Bureaucrat 3{W/B}{W/B}
Creature- Human Horror R
Defender, Extort
Devotion to White 8; Whenever you Extort, place a +1/+1 token on Defenders you control
Devotion to Black 8; Whenever a Defender you control Blocks, you may Extort
Devotion to Black and White 8; Defenders you control gain First Strike and Extort
2/3

Fortuna
2015-03-17, 06:35 AM
Patchwork Fortifications 2WW
Creature - Wall R
Defender
1, put a -1/-1 counter on Patchwork Fortifications: Put a +1/+1 counter on another Wall you control. (+1/+1 counters and -1/-1 counters cancel out.)
1, put a -1/-1 counter on another Wall creature you control: Put a +1/+1 counter on Patchwork Fortifications. (+1/+1 counters and -1/-1 counters cancel out.)
0/5
"Sir, attackers from the east!" "Quick, break down the west wall!"

Duck999
2015-03-17, 03:30 PM
Defensive Formation 3WW
Enchantment- R
W- Place a 1/1 White Human Solider Token with Defender into play
If your Devotion to White is 8 or more, all Defenders you control gain +2/+2, First Strike and may block any number of attackers.
"All it takes to beat back the hordes of darkness is a good solid defensive formation, and the brave men and women or fight in it."

That is not a creature with defender.

Shackled Maniac 2G
Creature-Human Werewolf U
Defender
At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, transform Shackled Maniac.
2/2
He was chained to protect the town from him.
/////////////////////////////
Shackled Beast
Creature-Werewolf
Defender
At the beginning of each upkeep, if a player cast two or more spells last turn, transform Shackled Beast.
5/5
They didn't expect him to protect the town from invaders.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-03-17, 03:34 PM
That is not a creature with defender.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxmd5y48iu1r3poogo1_500.png

Zaydos
2015-03-17, 03:48 PM
Solitary Guard W
Defender
~ gains +1/+1 for each other creature you control that is not attacking or blocking.
1/1
He stands alone on the path so his friends don't have to.

Warmatt
2015-03-18, 10:31 AM
I had missed the creature part the first time around to be honest, had a bit of sleep deprivation going on. So, changed it from the Enchantment, to a W/B Human Horror called the Civil Bureaucrat :smallbiggrin:

mystic1110
2015-03-18, 05:34 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxmd5y48iu1r3poogo1_500.png

Well then:

Build a Castle XXW
Sorcery U
Put X 0/5 white wall creature tokens with defender and "this creature can block any number of creatures" onto the battlefield.
"I would rather make than tear down. Too build walls than to kill men.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-18, 11:33 PM
Fangorn 4GGG
Legendary Creature-Treefolk Warrior Shaman; MR

Defender
Other Treefolk creatures you control get +3/+0.
GG: Treefolk creatures you control lose defender and get trample until end of turn.
3G, T: Put two 0/3 green Treefolk creature tokens with defender onto the battlefield.

"Treebeard, some call me."

6/10

Fable Wright
2015-03-19, 12:00 AM
Arel, Unseen Whisperer GGR
Legendary Creature - Human Shaman R
Arel, Unseen Whisperer can't attack unless you control an Island.
Other Shamans you control have Hexproof.
Formidable - U{G/R}, {T}: Arel, Unseen Whisperer deals 8 damage to target creature with Flying. Activate this ability only if creatures you control have total power 8 or greater.
She lies in wait, gathering support for the day when the Temur may free themselves from Atarka's rule.
4/5

Beacon of Chaos
2015-03-22, 07:02 PM
Judging time. Apologies in advance for my dull commentary.

Doran, The First Kin-Tree 2WBG
Legendary Creature - Treefolk Shaman (MR)
Defender
Outlast {2}
Each creature you control with a +1+1 counter on it assigns combat damage equal to its toughness rather than its power.
0/7

In a pretend fantasy world this is an Abzan Doran card, if that wasn't clear.
This is a pretty cool card. Useful as a treefolk lord, similar to the previous Doran but still balanced with it. Good on defence but can help your offense with other high toughness mosnters. I like it.

Fortress Walls 2WG
Creature - wall
Defender
Creatures you control without defender have hexproof.
0/3
I do like the flavour here, with the wall protecting your other creatures. Could definitely see it being played in a defensive deck, though Priveleged Position is only one mana more for a better effect.

Puzzle Shield 1U
Creature - Illusion U
Defender
When Puzzle Shield dies you may draw a card.
2U, Sacrifice Puzzle Shield: Draw a card.
0/3
The solution is hidden behind tireless effort and thought, or you can just hit it.
Nice theme, I like the flavour text. Card seems pretty well balanced, good for many blue decks. Not much else to say.

Shieldbearer 3WW
Creature - Angel Soldier R
Defender, Flying, Guardian for humans (When a human you control is the target of a spell or ability, you may change the target to Shieldbearer.)
2/4
Ahh, reminds me of the old flagbearer cards. The ability is pretty useful, I'd say. You could probably get away with having this as uncommon.

Lightning Wall 2R
Creature - Elemental Wall (U)
Defender
"Furt, you go first."
6/1
Yup. That's what a red wall should be like.

Eternity Maze 3WWW
Creature - Wall - R
Defender
Creatures that damage Eternity Maze are exiled
When Eternity Maze leaves the battlefield return all permanents exiled by Eternity maze to the battlefield under their owner's control
0/4
May be a little overcosted (there are no other 6 mana walls), though I note that the way it's worded you can use it to permanently exile a creature, which is a powerful effect.

Civil Bureaucrat 3{W/B}{W/B}
Creature- Human Horror R
Defender, Extort
Devotion to White 8; Whenever you Extort, place a +1/+1 token on Defenders you control
Devotion to Black 8; Whenever a Defender you control Blocks, you may Extort
Devotion to Black and White 8; Defenders you control gain First Strike and Extort
2/3
Okay, little bit complicated, got a lot going on here. Having 3 devotion abilites to track on one card seems like a pain. The black ability is interesting, allowing you to extort outside the normal circumstances.

I could be picky about the wording, but I understood what you meant here.

Patchwork Fortifications 2WW
Creature - Wall R
Defender
1, put a -1/-1 counter on Patchwork Fortifications: Put a +1/+1 counter on another Wall you control. (+1/+1 counters and -1/-1 counters cancel out.)
1, put a -1/-1 counter on another Wall creature you control: Put a +1/+1 counter on Patchwork Fortifications. (+1/+1 counters and -1/-1 counters cancel out.)
0/5
"Sir, attackers from the east!" "Quick, break down the west wall!"
A sort of wall lord. Neat. Not overly exciting, but neat.

Shackled Maniac 2G
Creature-Human Werewolf U
Defender
At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, transform Shackled Maniac.
2/2
He was chained to protect the town from him.
/////////////////////////////
Shackled Beast
Creature-Werewolf
Defender
At the beginning of each upkeep, if a player cast two or more spells last turn, transform Shackled Beast.
5/5
They didn't expect him to protect the town from invaders.
Pretty nice, a "wall" that gets bigger if you don't cast spells. On its own, not too special, but I'm sure a werewolf deck could use it well.

Solitary Guard W
Defender
~ gains +1/+1 for each other creature you control that is not attacking or blocking.
1/1
He stands alone on the path so his friends don't have to.
Interesting. I like that your other creatures can still attack, but he'll get the boost on the opponent's turn anyway. Not much else to say.

Well then:

Build a Castle XXW
Sorcery U
Put X 0/5 white wall creature tokens with defender and "this creature can block any number of creatures" onto the battlefield.
"I would rather make than tear down. Too build walls than to kill men.
Well it definitely adheres to the spirit of the competition. As a spell it's fine. Not too exciting, but well costed and balanced.

Fangorn 4GGG
Legendary Creature-Treefolk Warrior Shaman; MR

Defender
Other Treefolk creatures you control get +3/+0.
GG: Treefolk creatures you control lose defender and get trample until end of turn.
3G, T: Put two 0/3 green Treefolk creature tokens with defender onto the battlefield.

"Treebeard, some call me."

6/10
Treebeard! Good theme. The card is pretty strong, but that's what I'd expect from this kind of legend.

Arel, Unseen Whisperer GGR
Legendary Creature - Human Shaman R
Arel, Unseen Whisperer can't attack unless you control an Island.
Other Shamans you control have Hexproof.
Formidable - U{G/R}, {T}: Arel, Unseen Whisperer deals 8 damage to target creature with Flying. Activate this ability only if creatures you control have total power 8 or greater.
She lies in wait, gathering support for the day when the Temur may free themselves from Atarka's rule.
4/5
I'm not seeing the word "defender" here. Still, this seems like a pretty strong card. I've never played with formidable, so I'm not sure how balanced the ability is, especially if you're playing blue, which has ways to give enemy creatures flying.

Winner:
LaZodiac and Doran, The First Kin-Tree!

2nd place: Jormengand
3rd place: Duck999

LaZodiac
2015-03-22, 07:10 PM
Oh sweet I won!

This week's contest shall be, create a colorless creature that uses colored mana in some way! Note that this means "colored mana appears on the card" ad doesn't mean it specifically USED mana. You can figure it out.

enderlord99
2015-03-22, 09:08 PM
Myrrex, the Mana-king 10

Legendary Snow Artifact Creature - Myr Shaman Druid MR

Indestructible

If Myrrex, the Mana-king would become untapped, and it has one or more fatigue counters on it, instead remove one fatigue counter from Myrrex, the Mana-king and it remains tapped.

X,T: Add twice X mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool. You gain X life and draw up to X cards. Put three times X fatigue counters on Myrrex, the Mana-king.

5/5

LaZodiac
2015-03-22, 09:25 PM
You're right, I've put that up as a clarification.

mystic1110
2015-03-23, 11:54 AM
SteelWeb Engine {5}
Artifact Creature - Spider Golem U
When this enters the battlefield, if {R} was spent to cast ~, its next ability you activate this turn costs T less to activate.
Deathtouch
{G}, T: ~ Deals 1 damage to target creature with flying.
2/3

Pseudo-haste (tm)!

Jormengand
2015-03-23, 12:16 PM
Burning Sigil 4
Artifact Creature - Construct R
T, Sacrifice Burning Sigil: Burning Sigil deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is the number of red mana in your mana pool.
"The philosophers can go debate justice until the sun burns out, for I am blessed by God and will destroy all who oppose me."
2/3

Ionbound
2015-03-23, 12:48 PM
Iron Angel-4

Artifact Creature-Angel

Flying

1W-Other Artifact Creatures you control gain +1/+1 until the end of the turn.

A warleader for the artificer's armies, there is no better figurehead than a divine herald.

4/4

CantigThimble
2015-03-23, 01:12 PM
Yorn Kaylix, Eater of Suns 9
Legendary Artifact Creature - Praetor MR
Sunburst
As long as another creature you control has flying, Yorn Kaylix, Eater of suns has flying and creatures your opponents control lose flying and cannot gain flying. The same is true for first strike, double strike, deathtouch, haste, hexproof, indestructible, infect, lifelink, reach, trample, and vigilance.
4/4
All that is not Phyrexia is weakness. We will show them their failiure.

Warmatt
2015-03-23, 02:29 PM
Kalmorog, the Infinity Wyrm 12
Legendary Enchantment Creature- Spirit Wyrm MR
Indestructible, Hexproof
If your Devotion to Blue is 8 or more; Creatures you control have G/U- Fateseal X and Scry X, where X is your devotion to Green
If your Devotion to Green is 8 or more; Creatures you control have G/U; Proliferate and Populate
"I am beyond your petty restrictions and classifications mortal. I am magic itself. The more you try to understand me, the more you cannot."
8/8

Mystic Muse
2015-03-23, 04:29 PM
Warmatt, I'm sorry to say it, but your card doesn't actually function within the rules, and has a few other problems.

First of all, the way you have devotion on the card doesn't actually follow templating rules.

Second, if you have the devotion to actually pull off any of his abilities, you're probably well enough ahead you've won anyway.

Third, devotion to all isn't a thing.

Fourth, it's way too long to actually print that as its rules text.
Fifth, if you have the devotion to pull off any of its abilities, they're all pretty overpowered, except for maybe the green one.

Last, no deck that uses colored mana will ever be able to cast it, and it's not even worth it if you CAN cast it. For 15 mana, I can cast Emrakul instead, who works better in decks with colorless ramp, and will generally win you the game. He's practically immune to removal himself, without being indestructible with hexproof and protection from all colors.

Blue Ghost
2015-03-23, 04:52 PM
Herald of Eldritch Visions 8
Creature - Eldrazi (M)
Whenever a player draws a card, that player puts the top three cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
{2/U}: Draw a card. Any player may activate this ability.
6/9

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Herald%20of%20Eldritch%20Visions_zpsz1vgcroa.jpg

Beacon of Chaos
2015-03-23, 05:12 PM
Spirit of the Earth

Legendary Land Creature - Elemental Spirit MR

Spirit of the Earth enters the battlefield tapped.

Spirit of the Earth cannot attack or block unless you control 7 or more lands.

T: Add one mana of any colour to your mana pool.

WUGRB: Land creatures you control get +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the number of lands you control.

3/4

Duck999
2015-03-23, 05:41 PM
Ravnican Rebels 5
Creature-Human Rebel
When ~ enters the battlefield, add WUBRG to your mana pool.
They fought the guild pact, but they still needed the help of magic.
4/4

Warmatt
2015-03-23, 05:50 PM
Warmatt, I'm sorry to say it, but your card doesn't actually function within the rules, and has a few other problems.

First of all, the way you have devotion on the card doesn't actually follow templating rules.

Second, if you have the devotion to actually pull off any of his abilities, you're probably well enough ahead you've won anyway.

Third, devotion to all isn't a thing.

Fourth, it's way too long to actually print that as its rules text.
Fifth, if you have the devotion to pull off any of its abilities, they're all pretty overpowered, except for maybe the green one.

Last, no deck that uses colored mana will ever be able to cast it, and it's not even worth it if you CAN cast it. For 15 mana, I can cast Emrakul instead, who works better in decks with colorless ramp, and will generally win you the game. He's practically immune to removal himself, without being indestructible with hexproof and protection from all colors.
Fixed that, was torn between the Theros Red/Blue and Blue/Green, but went with something more 'Infinite' that builds off devotion.

Blue Ghost
2015-03-23, 09:00 PM
Fixed that, was torn between the Theros Red/Blue and Blue/Green, but went with something more 'Infinite' that builds off devotion.

Still a few glaring issues.
Indestructible, hexproof, and protection from all colors together are a bad idea. Even something like Progenitus or Emrakul needs SOME weaknesses.
There's no clause preventing you from cheating this out from your graveyard.
Fateseal is a terrible mechanic, and should never be used.
Proliferate X and populate X are not things, and neither is that use of devotion.
And the text is still far too long. You're not going to have room for flavor text.
That's not getting into the balance issues.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-03-24, 09:24 PM
Ghostfire Adept 2R
Creature - Human Wizard C
Ghostfire Adept is colorless.
When Ghostfire Adept enters the battlefield, it deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
Fwoosh.
2/1

Mox Amethyst 0
Artifact - Promo
T: Add one purple mana to your mana pool.

Transplanar Oracle 3
Artifact Creature - Construct R (Exists only in a for-fun environment with Conspiracy-like or silver-bordered cards)
WUBRG, T, Sacrifice Transplanar Oracle: Open target unopened booster pack you own or in the prize pool, reveal it and note its contents. You may put any number of cards from that pack into your hand. Return the pack and those cards to their owner at the end of the game.
It's only madness if it isn't true.
3/1

onasuma
2015-03-25, 07:59 AM
Chromatic Blighterfly 6
Artifact creature - Insect U
Sunburst, Flying, Infect
Such beautiful colours underlie such deadly venoms.
0/0