PDA

View Full Version : MtG - You Make the Card III: Wrath of the Khans

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Jormengand
2015-03-25, 10:25 AM
Mox Amethyst 0
Artifact - Promo
T: Add one purple mana to your mana pool.

This card combines two things: purple, and Moxen. One is a horrible concept, which tears apart the fundamental nature of Magic, and gives abilities that make it far too easy to cast spells unless your opponent does the same. The other, of course, is a new colour of magic.

:smalltongue:

LaZodiac
2015-03-29, 10:21 AM
Myrrex, the Mana-king 10

Legendary Snow Artifact Creature - Myr Shaman Druid MR

Indestructible

If Myrrex, the Mana-king would become untapped, and it has one or more fatigue counters on it, instead remove one fatigue counter from Myrrex, the Mana-king and it remains tapped.

X,T: Add twice X mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool. You gain X life and draw up to X cards. Put three times X fatigue counters on Myrrex, the Mana-king.

5/5

Okay so...if one ignores the missmash of creature types and supertypes, this is an interesting card. I actually kind of like the idea of Fatigue counters. I also think the kind of "Gain and draw X, add twice of X, then put three times of X" cycle on the card, it's neat.

That said, this card crashes and burns flavor wise. Oh my god why. The drawback also seems a little violent considering it's a Mythic Rare and should be decently powerful without much of a major drawback.

SteelWeb Engine {5}
Artifact Creature - Spider Golem U
When this enters the battlefield, if {R} was spent to cast ~, its next ability you activate this turn costs T less to activate.
Deathtouch
{G}, T: ~ Deals 1 damage to target creature with flying.
2/3

Pseudo-haste (tm)!

Now this is really neat. 2/3 for 5 is a little rough, but it's got that "paid colored mana" effect that's really great. I like the ingenuity of pseudo-haste, though I think it's a little clunky to read. For awhile I thought it made any ability you activate this turn cost that. I also like the combination of deathtouch and having a ping effect, very strong and spider-y.

What's interesting flavorwise is that this is in the two colors that get the least amount of artifact enjoyment, which I think is pretty cool. It's RedGreen's attempt at making a big cool robot to match their style. It's got Pseudo-Haste, but it also has Pseudo-Reach as well.

Burning Sigil 4
Artifact Creature - Construct R
T, Sacrifice Burning Sigil: Burning Sigil deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is the number of red mana in your mana pool.
"The philosophers can go debate justice until the sun burns out, for I am blessed by God and will destroy all who oppose me."
2/3

This is a really interesting card. I like the idea that it cares about your mana pool (not many things do, so it's a nice untapped space for potential). The ability also fits red quite nicely because to maximize it, it requires you to do the incredibly silly "Tap out all of your lands" thing. My only real complaint (and it's a bit of a big one) is that I really don't see this as a creature. It's...a robot sign, essentially. This could easily be just an artifact, and as such I think it's a little bit of a flavor flop. From being a construct and the flavor text I feel like it'd fit in Conspiracy, I'm just not sure it's super fitting.

Iron Angel-4

Artifact Creature-Angel

Flying

1W-Other Artifact Creatures you control gain +1/+1 until the end of the turn.

A warleader for the artificer's armies, there is no better figurehead than a divine herald.

4/4

Ooh, I like this. A 4/4 for 4 is pretty dang powerful, ESPECIALLY with flying. The ability to pump everyone on your team up is also really strong. No rarity so I can't really judge that, but I'd have to imagine this is a Rare. I like the flavor of a mechanical angel, though it PURELY being an Angel type kind of implies it's not really constructed by someone? Basically the way the card reads right now, I don't see it as a robot, I see it as a Mirrodin angel lady. Ways to get around this would be by adding Golem or Construct to it's creature types, or by going a silly route and saying "it costs 3W but it has the Ghostflame ability of 'this card is colorless' which would of been neat and inventive" but that being said, this is all a minor point. Good card, clockwork angel of team buff.

Yorn Kaylix, Eater of Suns 9
Legendary Artifact Creature - Praetor MR
Sunburst
As long as another creature you control has flying, Yorn Kaylix, Eater of suns has flying and creatures your opponents control lose flying and cannot gain flying. The same is true for first strike, double strike, deathtouch, haste, hexproof, indestructible, infect, lifelink, reach, trample, and vigilance.
4/4
All that is not Phyrexia is weakness. We will show them their failiure.

Oh, now this is interesting. A colorless Praetor has a lot of interesting design possibilities, and I think you've gone with one that is almost on level with the destructiveness of the other Praetors. This card is good and very powerful, has the ability to be a 9/9 for 9 (sunburst is pretty cool and seeing it used here is interesting). If you can get it's ability to work, you're going to just overwhelm your opponent. But...the big problem with this guy is that you need creatures other then him to make his effect work. With someone like Elesh Norn, even if you don't have any other creatures, she wrecks your opponent. Jin-Gitaxis literally consumes their entire hand and forces them into a top deck war they can't win. All this guy does is be huge if cast by himself. You're likely to have other creatures that have the abilities you want to quash for your enemy and give to your team, but it's far easier to remove THOSE guys then your card, and thus it has a bit of a problem there.

Kalmorog, the Infinity Wyrm 12
Legendary Enchantment Creature- Spirit Wyrm MR
Indestructible, Hexproof
If your Devotion to Blue is 8 or more; Creatures you control have G/U- Fateseal X and Scry X, where X is your devotion to Green
If your Devotion to Green is 8 or more; Creatures you control have G/U; Proliferate and Populate
"I am beyond your petty restrictions and classifications mortal. I am magic itself. The more you try to understand me, the more you cannot."
8/8

Ugh...okay. Fateseal is a garbage and awful mechanic and no one likes it. First of all. Secondly, Proliferate and Populate aren't...100% fitting with Theros (Proliferate maybe, but certainly not populate. They don't give a crap about tokens from all that we've seen). The devotion numbers are basically impossible to get to. It's an 8/8 for 12 which isn't even really that good in the grand scheme of "things that cost 12". It's still just kind of a mess.

That said I like that it's a colorless Enchantment creature. That could have some interesting design space.

Herald of Eldritch Visions 8
Creature - Eldrazi (M)
Whenever a player draws a card, that player puts the top three cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
{2/U}: Draw a card. Any player may activate this ability.
6/9

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Herald%20of%20Eldritch%20Visions_zpsz1vgcroa.jpg

Now this, this is a card I like. It really gets the feeling across of some kind of nasty Eldrazi beast that simple heralds the coming of a Titan. It's global effect is nice because it can either work into your strategy of milling them out (though that reduces their reason for paying the mana to it). It's also something you can use obviously, and if you're running some kind of black blue deck that wants cards in the grave, I think this would be a nice addition as a massive wall to keep enemies down while you win with your control deck, and as a big ole beater to throw at them when you're ready to win.

My only problem with this is just my general dislike of effects that hurt myself, and I don't think this provides enough of a card advantage. Comparing it to say, Tormenting Voice, that's draw 2 discard 2 (discard as part of casting Tormenting Voice, then ditch the Voice). This is essentially draw 1 discard 3, and that's strong, but I'm not sure how it measures up. Though as I mentioned above in a pure mill deck this guy is bonkers.

Spirit of the Earth

Legendary Land Creature - Elemental Spirit MR

Spirit of the Earth enters the battlefield tapped.

Spirit of the Earth cannot attack or block unless you control 7 or more lands.

T: Add one mana of any colour to your mana pool.

WUGRB: Land creatures you control get +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the number of lands you control.

3/4

Now this is interesting. I've been wondering for ways on how to work Land creatures for awhile, and I think this is a fairly balanced way to make one. It can't do anything unless you have 7 lands, so it's essentially a 3/4 for 8 (which...is actually kind of bad. Also it costs 8 mana since I'm counting itself since it takes up a land drop). That said, it's ability is really strong, and it implies lots of other land creatures in the set which is something I really like! I always design cards as if they're part of a set so seeing hints of the set in the design is cool to me.

The only problem I can see with this card right now is that it's interactions with Commander are a little wonky. No matter how many times you kill it, it still gets to come into play for the exact same cost: nothing. That's powerful, arguably more so then it's Woogurb ability.

Ravnican Rebels 5
Creature-Human Rebel
When ~ enters the battlefield, add WUBRG to your mana pool.
They fought the guild pact, but they still needed the help of magic.
4/4

No rarity so I can't judge that, but from it's ability I kind of thing it's a Rare. This is an interesting card in that it's not an artifact creature and doesn't have any colored mana to it. Which is good, I wanted something like that to test people's ability to make good flavor for it! The only problem is...I'm not seeing any real flavor FOR this. Best I can see is that...you just use colorless mana to call a group of colored dudes and they each give you some of their own mana in return? Eh. It's alright, and things that refund their cost like Peregrine Drake are really cool, I just feel like this one lacks the flavor it needs to be really good.

Transplanar Oracle 3
Artifact Creature - Construct R (Exists only in a for-fun environment with Conspiracy-like or silver-bordered cards)
WUBRG, T, Sacrifice Transplanar Oracle: Open target unopened booster pack you own or in the prize pool, reveal it and note its contents. You may put any number of cards from that pack into your hand. Return the pack and those cards to their owner at the end of the game.
It's only madness if it isn't true.
3/1

Figures that the only person who goes the root of "~ is colorless" is someone making a joke card that's not for entry. Dangit people! Anyway, your card.

I like this. It's some nice silly Draft card fun in a Conspiracy like set and I like that. It's a nice, funny sort of effect and one I can get behind (imagine opening up a mythic rare in the prize pack with this and suddenly the tournament gets a lot more intense as everyone shoots for the money card). My only problem with this is that it's waaay too hard to keep track of all the cards involved.

Stat wise it's a 3/1 for 3 which is a little fragile, and not much else I can say about it.

Chromatic Blighterfly 6
Artifact creature - Insect U
Sunburst, Flying, Infect
Such beautiful colours underlie such deadly venoms.
0/0

This is really elegant. Just a very simple card. At max it's a 5/5 for 6 which is one up on a basic dragon for the same cost, though typically this'll be a 3/3 for 6. It's flying and infect kind of counteract that somewhat weakness. The name is a pun that I JUST got right as I was writing this, and my only wish is that they actually printed a Chromatic Butterfly in Mirrodin so it could fit more. I can easily imagine this being part of a set that HAS that though. Really good card.

This was a tough one folks. Quite a few good cards. But I think in terms of a winner, we need to go with...

Mystic1110 for her pseudo-spider!

Runner ups are Firedaemon33 with his Iron Angel, Onasuma with his Blighterfly (love the pun) and Blue Ghost with his nasty ole Eldrazi.

Ionbound
2015-03-29, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I did base it on the Platinum Angel. Glad you liked it! I keep forgetting to add rarities, but it would have been Rare or Mythic, yeah.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-03-30, 07:25 AM
Now this is interesting. I've been wondering for ways on how to work Land creatures for awhile, and I think this is a fairly balanced way to make one. It can't do anything unless you have 7 lands, so it's essentially a 3/4 for 8 (which...is actually kind of bad. Also it costs 8 mana since I'm counting itself since it takes up a land drop). That said, it's ability is really strong, and it implies lots of other land creatures in the set which is something I really like! I always design cards as if they're part of a set so seeing hints of the set in the design is cool to me.

The only problem I can see with this card right now is that it's interactions with Commander are a little wonky. No matter how many times you kill it, it still gets to come into play for the exact same cost: nothing. That's powerful, arguably more so then it's Woogurb ability.
I dunno if saying it's a 3/4 for 8 is exactly right. Assuming a land drop each turn, you can play it on turn 1, use it as a mana source turns 2-6, then attack from turn 7 and still have mana to spend.

I hadn't considered Commander though, so good catch there. Maybe it needs an extra rule line saying you must pay an extra cost to play it from the command zone.

mystic1110
2015-03-30, 08:07 AM
Oh. . . cool! Next challenge is:

This week's contest shall be, Create a multi-colored Common.

Ionbound
2015-03-30, 08:11 AM
Izzet Reactor-4

Artifact-C

2: Add UR to your mana pool.

"Where do they get those wonderful toys..."

I realize this stretches the definition of 'multicolored', but it's part of an conceptual set for a Phyrexian invasion of Ravnica.

Warmatt
2015-03-30, 08:19 AM
Smug Pug (B/W)
Creature- Pug C
Extort
Smug Pug can't attack
T- Extort
"Pugs, small and lazy, but expert beggars."
0/2

Like above, a bit of a stretch, and might be stretching a common a bit, but over all, it's a lazy little dog that is really good for Extort decks

CantigThimble
2015-03-30, 10:55 AM
Colfenor's Draught 1BG
Sorcery C
Target player discards 2 cards, for each land discarded this way you may put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.

Colfenor is a black/green treefolk, treefolk interact with land, it's not complicated.

Hero's Path WG
Sorcery C
Search your library for a land card, reveal it and put it into your hand. Shuffle your library. If a basic land was revealed this way you may put 2 +1/+1 counters on target creature.

LaZodiac
2015-03-30, 11:45 AM
Wojek Painkiller WR
Creature - Goblin Cleric (C)
When ~ enters the battlefield under your control, deal 1 damage to target creature or player. You gain 1 life.
Goblin healing magic is still goblin magic.
2/1

Fable Wright
2015-03-30, 11:55 AM
Elvish Eyeblight {B/G}
Creature - Elf Rogue (C)
Prowl 2{B/G}
When ~ enters the battlefield, if its Prowl cost was paid, destroy target creature.
The Faultless hate everyone, but the Blighted hate everyone equally.
2/1
This should be uncommon; Doomblade and similar effects are uncommon, as are 2/1s for C. Two powerful effects together decreasing the rarity is... strange.

LaZodiac
2015-03-30, 11:58 AM
This should be uncommon; Doomblade and similar effects are uncommon, as are 2/1s for C. Two powerful effects together decreasing the rarity is... strange.

Yeah, I was going to go over it. I can't make it the normal Eyeblight's Ending (destroy non elf, which is common) because flavor wise it's an elf that is blighted, so it only killing non elves would be kind of weird. And making it only kill elves period might be too WEAK. I don't know...I'll try it out. Maybe also bump the mana costs up.

Or do something different, we'll see.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-31, 12:46 AM
Ambusher il-Kor {W/B}U
Creature-Kor Rogue; C

Shadow
If Ambusher il-Kor is attacking or blocking, you may put a -1/-1 counter on target attacking or blocking creature.

Just because she can't touch you doesn't mean she can't hurt you.
-Zalqali en-Kor

1/1

AgentPaper
2015-03-31, 01:30 AM
Ambusher il-Kor {W/B}U
Creature-Kor Rogue; C

Shadow
When Ambusher il-Kor attacks or blocks, put a -1/-1 counter on target attacking or blocking creature.

Just because she can't touch you doesn't mean she can't hurt you.
-Zalqali en-Kor

2/1

I think it's worth noting that with the way it's worded, when you attack with this, you need to put a -1/-1 counter on one of your attacking creatures, since there are no blockers yet.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-31, 01:35 AM
You're right. It should be 'you may' put that counter.

Mystic Muse
2015-03-31, 04:40 AM
Decaying Sliver BG

Creature - Sliver (C)

Sliver creatures you control Have wither. (They deal damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters)

Even their weakness they adapted into a weapon.

2/2

(Going by new sliver rules, but if you prefer the old 'all slivers' assume it says that instead.)

Beacon of Chaos
2015-03-31, 09:14 AM
Warp Strength 2BG

Sorcery - C

Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn and creatures you don't control get -1/-1 until end of turn.

onasuma
2015-03-31, 10:47 AM
Ghostly Prize 2GW
Creature - Beast Spirit C
1W: Exile ~. At the beginning of the next end step, return it to play, tapped.
A prize claimed once cannot be claimed again
4/2

Fable Wright
2015-03-31, 11:10 AM
Warp Strength 2BG

Sorcery - C

Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn and creatures you don't control get -1/-1 until end of turn.

Zealous Persecution shows that this effect is worth CMC 2 at instant speed, and it with Profit//Loss shows that this is an uncommon-complexity ability.

Ghostly Prize 1GW
All creatures able to block ~ must do so.
Whenever ~ becomes blocked, exile it.
2/2

Prized Unicorn effects are uncommon-complexity. Exiling itself and bleeding the color pie does not decrease the rarity.

Mystic Muse
2015-03-31, 11:16 AM
Would you say mine is acceptable, DM?

Fable Wright
2015-03-31, 11:23 AM
Would you say mine is acceptable, DM?

Wither's a keyword that was printed on common-level equipment, as are keyword ability granting slivers can also be common. Seems fine.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-03-31, 11:56 AM
Zealous Persecution shows that this effect is worth CMC 2 at instant speed, and it with Profit//Loss shows that this is an uncommon-complexity ability.
Huh. I searched Gatherer but I'm pretty sure neither of those cards came up. No matter, I'll find something else. Thanks.

Jormengand
2015-03-31, 04:25 PM
Devour Soul WB
Sorcery - C
You gain 3 life and target player loses 3 life.
What the Orzhov can't force you to give, they take.

Blue Ghost
2015-04-01, 11:10 AM
Midnight Hunt 1BG
Sorcery
Target creature you control gains lifelink until end of turn. It fights target creature you don't control.

Saposhiente
2015-04-01, 08:26 PM

Still doesn't fix the problem of being unable to ever -1/-1 an opponent's defending creature.

mystic1110
2015-04-02, 09:17 AM

It should be "blocked or is blocked"

braveheart
2015-04-02, 12:26 PM
Siphon to Strength 2UG
Instant - C
counter target spell
Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature
Why just stop them when you can use their power as well

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-04-02, 05:10 PM
It should be "blocked or is blocked"

Yeah, you guys are right. The way I wanted it to work was to let it attack, then when the defending player blocks, you get to put a counter on one of their blockers. But I've come to realize there's no way to do that without making a card that's just way too complex for a common (because Shadow is basically unblockable). I need to rework it.

EDIT: I may have just solved it, actually. Let me know what you think.

Blue Ghost
2015-04-02, 05:22 PM
Yeah, you guys are right. The way I wanted it to work was to let it attack, then when the defending player blocks, you get to put a counter on one of their blockers. But I've come to realize there's no way to do that without making a card that's just way too complex for a common (because Shadow is basically unblockable). I need to rework it.

Doesn't work, because the wording now indicates an activated ability with no cost rather than a triggered one. Also, even if you could make it work, it's dubious at common, as it's potentially repeatable creature kill and greatly complicates combat.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-04-02, 05:28 PM
Yeah, you're right. It's not saveable, I don't think. Eh. I'll come up with something else.

Fable Wright
2015-04-02, 05:34 PM

It does not work. Attacking is a status that persists until the end of the combat phase, and is triggered when it's declared as an attacker. Perhaps "Whenever one or more creatures you control block or become blocked, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature," though this would be too powerful and complex for common.

Perhaps, instead, add first strike and wither to the creature, which is more or less what your original draft is trying to do. Alternatively, "Whenever ~ blocks or becomes blocked, put a -1/-1 counter on target attacking or blocking creature", though this is still a bit too complex and powerful for common

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-04-02, 05:41 PM
Prospector Gnomes 3
Artifact Creature - Gnome C
Prospector Gnomes is all colors.
T, sacrifice Prospector Gnomes: search your library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.
They have real eyes for gems and real gems for eyes.
1/3

Tom the Mime
2015-04-02, 08:17 PM
Run like the Wind 1RU
Enchantment C
Whenever a creature with haste enters the battlefield under your control, it gains flying until end of turn.
They run to join the fray so fast that their feet do not touch the ground

CantigThimble
2015-04-02, 08:40 PM
Run like the Wind 1RU
Enchantment C
Whenever a creature with haste enters the battlefield under your control, it gains flying until end of turn.

It might be better as 'Whenever a creature enters the battlefield it gains flying until end of turn.' Only hasty guys can use the flying anyway.

Zaydos
2015-04-03, 06:24 PM
Final Whisper (G/B)U
Sorcery C
Exile target creature from any graveyard.
Draw 2 cards.
The last whisper of a soul before it is lost to the aether is the most valued.

Fable Wright
2015-04-03, 06:44 PM
Final Whisper (G/B)U
Sorcery C
As an additional cost to cast ~ exile a creature from any graveyard.
Draw 2 cards.

Not sure you can have a cost exiling something from another player's graveyard. Making it a target effect would work, though; you can't cast the spell if you don't have a legal target.

Zaydos
2015-04-03, 07:03 PM
Not sure you can have a cost exiling something from another player's graveyard. Making it a target effect would work, though; you can't cast the spell if you don't have a legal target.

I know of at least one card which does (Night Soil), but you're right target works just as well here (though with target they can exile it while this is on the stack to counter it) and is simpler/more in keeping with a modern format.

I may have left it a cost from when I had it as "from your graveyard" :smallredface:

CantigThimble
2015-04-03, 10:30 PM
Jotun Grunt has Cumulative Upkeep - Put a card from an opponent's graveyard on the bottom of it's owner's library, so I think you can use that kind of interaction as a cost. But you could also have it target a card in a graveyard since you can't cast a spell with no target. The only difference is it can be countered if it's target is no longer legal.

Saposhiente
2015-04-03, 11:17 PM
I'm not sure it could become unlegal--aren't costs paid instantly?

Zaydos
2015-04-04, 02:41 AM
I'm not sure it could become unlegal--aren't costs paid instantly?

That's the key (mechanical) difference. Costs are paid instantly. If it targets the target must still be legal when it resolves. Power wise it's a common it can probably be more interactive. In other regards it's a common and being targeted makes it simpler in ways, and is more normal for modern magic. So while there are examples of the cost being done that way, they are the exception not the rule (compare Night Soil to Necrogenesis).

TiaC
2015-04-04, 04:07 AM
Erratic Epiphany UUR2
Sorcery C
Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a nonland card, place the revealed cards on the bottom of your library, then draw cards equal to that card's converted mana cost.
"Wait! I have it! Or maybe I don't. But if I..."

Ninjaman
2015-04-04, 04:09 AM
Drain Knowledge - 1UB
Sorcery - C
Target player discards a card.
Draw a card.
Decades of research, stolen in the matter of seconds.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-04-04, 04:33 AM
Gather Minds 3{U/G}

Sorcery - C

Shuffle your hand into your library, then draw a card for each creature on the battlefield.

Fable Wright
2015-04-04, 09:09 AM
First, I'd like to apologize for repeatedly popping up with 'but this isn't a common-level effect!' posts. That said, NWO design is pretty clear on lines between common and uncommon, and seeing the line disregarded is... frustrating.

Erratic Epiphany UUR2
Sorcery C
Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a nonland card, place the revealed cards on the bottom of your library, then draw cards equal to that card's converted mana cost.
"Wait! I have it! Or maybe I don't. But if I..."
This is too complex for common, and draw 3+ card effects without a drawback (discard a card, usually, or something to that effect) are kept from common for power reasons. Consider revising.

Gather Minds 3{U/G}

Sorcery - C

Shuffle your hand into your library, then draw a card for each creature on the battlefield.
Wheel effects are strictly uncommon or above. Can you imagine this in limited at common? It would be far too available for the right deck, and worthless to everyone else. Again, this is uncommon.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-04-04, 09:36 AM
Wheel effects are strictly uncommon or above. Can you imagine this in limited at common? It would be far too available for the right deck, and worthless to everyone else. Again, this is uncommon.
Whatever. Don't care.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-04-04, 02:37 PM
New card! That other one, while interesting, just couldn't be made to work the way I wanted it to and remain a common.

Favor of the Riotlord RB
Instant; C

Target creature you control gets first strike and deathtouch until end of turn.
Hellbent-If you have no cards in hand, that creature also gets trample until end of turn.

"Arise, and set the world alight, my friend."
-Exava, Rakdos Anarchomancer

TiaC
2015-04-04, 04:51 PM
First, I'd like to apologize for repeatedly popping up with 'but this isn't a common-level effect!' posts. That said, NWO design is pretty clear on lines between common and uncommon, and seeing the line disregarded is... frustrating.

This is too complex for common, and draw 3+ card effects without a drawback (discard a card, usually, or something to that effect) are kept from common for power reasons. Consider revising.
No, you're quite right. Trying again.

Stolen Might GB2
Instant C
Target creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn.
Target creature gets -3/-3 until end of turn.

r2d2go
2015-04-04, 08:25 PM
Crashing Krasis 1UG
Creature - Krasis C
Mutate 1, UG
If ~ is Mutated, it gains -0/-2 and trample.
2/2

Mutate X, (cost): You may pay cast ~ for its mutate cost. If you do, it enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters and is Mutated.

Eh, I don't expect to win this, just playing around with Mutate.

Zaydos
2015-04-04, 08:45 PM
@r2d2go: Note the challenge is a common (which is why having the effect in line with the rarity is extra important).

r2d2go
2015-04-04, 10:07 PM
@r2d2go: Note the challenge is a common (which is why having the effect in line with the rarity is extra important).

Oh. Right. :smallredface: I somehow forgot that between conception and typing up a post...

Fixed :smalltongue:

mystic1110
2015-04-08, 12:58 PM
Judging will be up tomorrow. :smallsmile:

Fable Wright
2015-04-08, 01:45 PM
Bala Ged Guardian UG
Creature - Surrakar Ally
Landbond (You may pair this creature with an unpaired land when either enters the battlefield. They remain paired for as long as you control both of them.)
As long as Bala Ged Guardian is paired with a land, both have protection from Eldrazi.
2/2

LaZodiac
2015-04-08, 01:48 PM
Turntimber Guardian 1G
Creature - Human Ally
Landbond (You may pair this creature with an unpaired land when either enters the battlefield. They remain paired for as long as you control both of them.)
As long as Hada Pathfinder is paired with a land, both have protection from Eldrazi.
There are few safe havens left in Zendikar. So long as I draw breath, this is one of them.
2/2

Cough.

I'm sure you noticed, just pointing it out :smallamused:

Fable Wright
2015-04-08, 01:52 PM
Cough.

I'm sure you noticed, just pointing it out :smallamused:

Well, that and the fact that it was mono-colored in a multi-colored contest. This is why I should use ~s. *facepalm.*

CantigThimble
2015-04-08, 02:33 PM
Bala Ged Guardian UG
Creature - Surrakar Ally
As long as Bala Ged Guardian is paired with a land, both have protection from Eldrazi.
2/2

It feels like this should prevent them from being sacrificed, because of Annihilator. Up to you of course.

Fable Wright
2015-04-08, 02:43 PM
It feels like this should prevent them from being sacrificed, because of Annihilator. Up to you of course.

The problem is that preventing sacrifice effects is a Rare event, as evidenced by Sigarda and Tajuru Preserver's rarity, and because Annihilator is all permanents, the protection wouldn't be relevant unless they were the last handful of permanents left on the battlefield. As it is, the line of text would rarely come up, almost always only deprive you of options, and add in rules questions that probably don't belong at common. I considered it, but ultimately it's just a not good idea.

Blue Ghost
2015-04-09, 01:19 PM
Bala Ged Guardian UG
Creature - Surrakar Ally
2/2

Why would a land need protection from Eldrazi? Are you envisioning a bunch of Eldrazi that target lands? That might be a cool idea, depending on how you go from there.

Also, I just want to say that I do appreciate the feedback that you're giving.

Fable Wright
2015-04-09, 01:41 PM
Why would a land need protection from Eldrazi? Are you envisioning a bunch of Eldrazi that target lands? That might be a cool idea, depending on how you go from there.
The idea was that there may be lands that have special effects when they're bonded to creatures, including animating. Given the manland nature of Zendikar, protection from Eldrazi would be useful on that front on its own. The Eldrazi are also likely to pack some hate for the pesky adventurer-havens and giant pieces of angry terrain; Lorthos effects, perhaps, or returning them to hand/depriving them of abilities, but that metagame element isn't guaranteed. It is interesting to consider, though.

Thank you. :smallsmile:

Zaydos
2015-04-09, 01:59 PM

Thank you. :smallsmile:

Just wanted to say that Blue Ghost isn't alone in appreciating it. It's useful.

mystic1110
2015-04-09, 09:52 PM
Judging will be up tomorrow. :smallsmile:

And by tomorrow I meant Friday morning (stupid job :smallannoyed:, not letting me grade magic cards)

mystic1110
2015-04-10, 08:41 AM
Izzet Reactor-4

Artifact-C

2: Add UR to your mana pool.

"Where do they get those wonderful toys..."

I realize this stretches the definition of 'multicolored', but it's part of an conceptual set for a Phyrexian invasion of Ravnica.

Yeah this stretches multicolor . . . a lot. That said, this card isn't that good. 4 mana for color fixing instead of actual mana production sounds terrible. Why would anyone ever play this?

Smug Pug (B/W)
Creature- Pug C
Extort
Smug Pug can't attack
T- Extort
"Pugs, small and lazy, but expert beggars."
0/2

Like above, a bit of a stretch, and might be stretching a common a bit, but over all, it's a lazy little dog that is really good for Extort decks

What does T: Extort mean? Does it mean T: "target opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life" or "T: this card has two instances of extort"? Either way, this seems too efficient for a common. Extort was one of the more powerful keywords, and giving them a faster extort card, that double extort one way or another seems too good.

Colfenor's Draught 1BG
Sorcery C
Target player discards 2 cards, for each land discarded this way you may put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.

Colfenor is a black/green treefolk, treefolk interact with land, it's not complicated.
]

This is a good common - simple and efficient. Might be redflagged in NWO due to making the opponent make a choice, but NWO allows 20% redflagged commons. Either way, I like it.

Wojek Painkiller WR
Creature - Goblin Cleric (C)
When ~ enters the battlefield under your control, deal 1 damage to target creature or player. You gain 1 life.
Goblin healing magic is still goblin magic.
2/1

Another good common, that is extremely efficient at what it does. I don't get the flavor however. . . how does dealing damage to someone else heal you? For some reason i would have thought a "goblin magic" healing ability would do damage to your own creature, while preventing damage from an opponent's source. But outside that flavor question, its a good card.

Decaying Sliver BG

Creature - Sliver (C)

Sliver creatures you control Have wither. (They deal damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters)

Even their weakness they adapted into a weapon.

2/2

(Going by new sliver rules, but if you prefer the old 'all slivers' assume it says that instead.)

No complaints . . . this is a sliver. I don't know if I want wither to come back, but if it ever does while in a set with Slivers. . . i expect this card to show up.

Ghostly Prize 2GW
1W: Exile ~. At the beginning of the next end step, return it to play, tapped.
4/2

Jeez. . . that flicker ability is strong. . . even flickering spirit will probably no longer be printed at common today (last it was printed was in time spiral) and its flicker cost was much steeper. This card is just too good to be common.

Midnight Hunt 1BG
Sorcery
Target creature you control gains lifelink until end of turn. It fights target creature you don't control.

This is extremely clever and I love it. When its written out you might want to put in reminded text at common explaining what fight is and how lifelink works so newer players understand that you'll gain life from the fight.

Siphon to Strength 2UG
Instant - C
counter target spell
Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature
Why just stop them when you can use their power as well

All hard counters are required to have UU in their cost (this is a semi-hard rule. . . i'm sure there is an exception or two). That said . . . this seems to be an appropriate cost, and is a card, I would not mind existing. It can be a common - but in limited it'll probably be a trap common since its too expensive for an effective counter and the bonus isn't that much.

Prospector Gnomes 3
Artifact Creature - Gnome C
Prospector Gnomes is all colors.
T, sacrifice Prospector Gnomes: search your library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.
They have real eyes for gems and real gems for eyes.
1/3

The all colors effects from Transguild courier is an uncommon wording.. . . that said I can see a set where a couple commons have it. Other than that - the effect seems costed fine. . . the only comparison I have with it (a tap sacrifice for basic land) is Embodiment of Spring. The difference is the tap cost is moved to the casting cost. I mean I could say that this is much better than Embodiment of Spring, but I think it is still acceptable.

Run like the Wind 1RU
Enchantment C

This is a build around be uncommon in my opinion. You really don't want such a narrow card running around at common. It's either worthless and a dead card to a lot of people, or it enables too well a UR haste deck.

Final Whisper (G/B)U
Sorcery C
Exile target creature from any graveyard.
Draw 2 cards.

I think have the exile is fine as a cost. However this is a 2 mana draw 2 spell with a minimum draw back. Other draw backs included the opponent drawing a card, or sacrificing a permanent. This drawback is sometimes even a positive. I'm afraid this is just too good of a card. And not just for common. . . I think this is just too good of a card for modern even. Run 8 discard, 8 kill spells, 4 filter cards like anticpate, 4 copies of this, 16 creatures, 20 lands. . . and that would be an actually decent deck. . .

Drain Knowledge - 1UB
Sorcery - C
Target player discards a card.
Draw a card.
Decades of research, stolen in the matter of seconds.

If Brainbite is 2UB at common, this is definitely costed correctly. This is actually a card I'm surprised hasn't been printed before.

Gather Minds 3{U/G}

Sorcery - C

Jeez this is strong. . . I think as a rule that a common can't provide or provide the potential for more than 2 CA. I doubt thats a hard and fast rule. . . in fact I can name some commons that do, but it is highly disfavored. This card is just too good at what it does. . . it refuels decks in limited beyond what any other card can do. Additionally wheel effects aren't on commons anymore.

Favor of the Riotlord RB
Instant; C

Target creature you control gets first strike and deathtouch until end of turn.
Hellbent-If you have no cards in hand, that creature also gets trample until end of turn.

"Arise, and set the world alight, my friend."
-Exava, Rakdos Anarchomancer

This is effectively a bad version of terminate. . . which. . . is fine in my opinion. I don't think terminate would be accepted as a common nowadays, but I think a worse version of it would be good. That said. . . realize how good this card it. . . its the ultimate combat trick. Which might mean that wizards would make it an uncommon to make it less likely that RB decks will have this in hand all the time.

No, you're quite right. Trying again.

Stolen Might GB2
Instant C
Target creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn.
Target creature gets -3/-3 until end of turn.

This would be red-flagged in NWO as it affects multiple permanents and can create a complex board state - but as said before it is allowed to have 20% commons be redflagged. As it was this card is a really good board trick and a really good removal spell, but at 2GB it looks to be costed appropriately. I would love to play this card in limited.

Crashing Krasis 1UG
Creature - Krasis C
Mutate 1, UG
If ~ is Mutated, it gains -0/-2 and trample.
2/2

Mutate X, (cost): You may pay cast ~ for its mutate cost. If you do, it enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters and is Mutated.

Eh, I don't expect to win this, just playing around with Mutate.

Mutate . . . is weird. . . but the complex effect of getting its power reduced and being saved by the plus one counter is extremely complex for a common. Also why would you ever play this unmutated. . . if the opponent is only playing 1/1's

Bala Ged Guardian UG
Creature - Surrakar Ally
2/2

I don't like Landbond as it implies that there will be a lot of LD effects in limited . . . otherwise whats the point of it. And LD is extremely out of favor. Even if Eldrazi are running around . . . I just don't see what this mechanic will do other than let you ignore Annihilator. What other effects will bonded creatures have? In order for it to be a good mechanic the opponent needs a way to unbond the two. . . and that means either kill the creature or the land. . . and its not really fun to only have the choice of killing the creature. . . . Sorry: I feel really bad about this since you were a great help this round . . . but I really just don't like this mechanic.

Third Place - Thisisacat : great card - simple effects that combine into a great combat trick or work as good removal and finisher. Might be too efficient as a common though.

Second Place - Blue Ghost : Loved the card . . . only reason you lost is I literally can't believe Ninjaman's card hasn't been printed.

WINNER - Ninjaman. Again . . . I was shocked that your card didn't already exist.

LaZodiac
2015-04-10, 09:11 AM
The flavor of my card is that (due to it being Wojek) it is a Boros goblin. But it's still gonna goblin at things, so it uses a special sort of clerical blood magic where it hits things and uses their pain to heal pain. It uses pain to kill, and is itself a killer of pain. It's a very Boros mechanic, in that red deals damage and white gains life, so I figured combining that with a goblin and a punny name would do well.

That said, congrats to the winner!

Ninjaman
2015-04-10, 09:22 AM
New challenge:

Make a rare removal spell

Jormengand
2015-04-10, 09:56 AM
Devour Soul WB
Sorcery - C
You gain 3 life and target player loses 3 life.
What the Orzhov can't force you to give, they take.

Why do people always miss me out? :smallfrown:

Price of Failure B
Instant - R
Destroy target creature you control. It can't be regenerated.
Draw a card.
You have failed me. Who's next?

LaZodiac
2015-04-10, 10:02 AM
Necatoriasis 3BG
Instant - (R)
Destroy target creature. Put X 1/1 green and black Worm creature tokens onto the battlefield, where X is the creature's toughness.
"Do struggle. Hookworms love a strong host." - Cevraya, Golgari shaman

mystic1110
2015-04-10, 11:06 AM
Why do people always miss me out? :smallfrown:
]

Ah Sorry !! I have no clue why I missed you. Probably to do with the multi-quote limit :smallfrown:.

But to judge your card - its a WB lightning helix except a little worse since it can only target players. . . I think it is too strong for a common now a days due to them upping the cost of direct damage to players and drain effects. Today I think your hard would cost 1WB.

Ninjaman
2015-04-10, 02:53 PM
Price of Failure B
Instant - R
Destroy target creature you control. It can't be regenerated.
Draw a card.
You have failed me. Who's next?

That's not a removal spell.

Jormengand
2015-04-10, 03:12 PM
That's not a removal spell.

Isn't destroying things you don't want alive what removal is?

mystic1110
2015-04-10, 03:16 PM
Ætherical Transmogrification UBR
Sorcery R
Destroy target creature. It can't be regenerated. Its controller reveals cards from the top of his or her library until he or she reveals an instant or sorcery card. That player exiles that card, then shuffles all other cards revealed this way into his or her library. Until end of turn that player may cast a card exiled this way without paying its mana cost and as if it had flash.

Ninjaman
2015-04-10, 04:31 PM
Isn't destroying things you don't want alive what removal is?

Getting rid of your own things isn't removal no.

Fable Wright
2015-04-10, 04:37 PM
Getting rid of your own things isn't removal no.

Then what do you call the means you use to dispose of Act of Treason'd creatures or things like Abyssal Persecutor?

Jormengand
2015-04-10, 04:40 PM
Abyssal Persecutor?

Which is what I had in mind.

CantigThimble
2015-04-10, 04:46 PM
If you want to call it removal that's fine, but how does this rare match up to Altar's Reap, a common.

Ninjaman
2015-04-10, 04:52 PM
Then what do you call the means you use to dispose of Act of Treason'd creatures or things like Abyssal Persecutor?

Depends on the card, but for instance I wouldn't call viscera seer removal.

Jormengand
2015-04-10, 04:54 PM
If you want to call it removal that's fine, but how does this rare match up to Altar's Reap, a common.

It... uh, doesn't.

I could make it cost zero. Not sure that would even be too good, even though it sounds silly.

Ninjaman
2015-04-10, 04:58 PM
It... uh, doesn't.

I could make it cost zero. Not sure that would even be too good, even though it sounds silly.

Not to mention (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=24124)

But all that still doesn't change the fact that it's not a removal spell, it's a sac outlet, even though it techniqually doesn't sac (just like skull clamp)

Jormengand
2015-04-10, 05:20 PM
Yeah. Let's go for:

Blood for Blood B
Instant - R
Destroy target creature you control and target creature you don't control.
An eye for an eye isn't the worst of your problems.

Empathic Obliterator 4BB
Sorcery - R
Destroy target creature and each creature that shares a name with it.
The enemy of your enemy is dead.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-04-10, 06:09 PM
Searing Truth 1RRWW
Instant; R

Purify all creatures. (Exile all permanents attached to those creatures, remove all counters from those creatures, and all effects lasting until end of turn end immediately.) For each creature purified, Searing Truth deals 1 damage to target creature or player and you gain 1 life.

"And you shall know the Truth, and the Truth shall make you free."
-Forenzad, Wojek Inquisitor

Tom the Mime
2015-04-10, 07:11 PM
Sorcery R
Destroy target creature. It can't be regenerated. Its controller reveals cards from the top of his or her library until he or she reveals an instant or sorcery card. That player exiles that card, then shuffles all other cards revealed this way into his or her library. Until end of turn that player may cast a card exiled this way without paying its mana cost and as if it had flash.

A cascade effect with no cmc limit and targets only a specific type seems really abusable. Draw in your opening hand, get a creature out and if you have no instants or sorcery's other than Transmog and the target in your deck, you can have a 50%+ chance to get 2 big dragons out turn 3 with something like dragonstorm. And if it hits transmog instead of the target, you can probably try again next turn or the turn after (maybe even making storm more effective by then). The land requirement makes it a bit tougher but still.

Does temporary removal still count? If so:

Chain of Time 1U
Instant - R
Exile target non-land permanent and put three time counters on it. If it doesn't have suspend, it gains suspend. That permanents controller may return a land they control to their hand. It that player does, he or she may copy this spell and may choose a new target for the copy.

Ninjaman
2015-04-10, 09:34 PM
Does temporary removal still count? If so:

Chain of Time 1U
Instant - R
Exile target non-land permanent and put three time counters on it. If it doesn't have suspend, it gains suspend. That permanents controller may return a land they control to their hand. It that player does, he or she may copy this spell and may choose a new target for the copy.

Three turns is long enough that I will allow it. I would not for instance allow an unsummon effect.

Fable Wright
2015-04-10, 10:11 PM
A cascade effect with no cmc limit and targets only a specific type seems really abusable. Draw in your opening hand, get a creature out and if you have no instants or sorcery's other than Transmog and the target in your deck, you can have a 50%+ chance to get 2 big dragons out turn 3 with something like dragonstorm. And if it hits transmog instead of the target, you can probably try again next turn or the turn after (maybe even making storm more effective by then). The land requirement makes it a bit tougher but still.

On the other hand, look at Polymorph (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=191380) and Spellshift (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=122459). Same type of effect, more abusable. (For example, in Modern, W/U Tokens running Blue primarily for a set of Polymorphs and 1-2 Emrakuls was a thing.) Getting a big spell instead of a big creature seems fairer, especially given the color restrictions.

onasuma
2015-04-11, 01:52 AM
Acidic Smog 2BB
Sorcery R
You may pay 5 life. If you do, destroy target non-black creature. Then exile acidic smog with 1 time counter on it. It gains suspend.

mystic1110
2015-04-11, 01:45 PM

If polymorph can get you Emrakul for 3U, I think my card is allowed for . . . at best enter the infinity. And even then you could run a polymorph deck with no other creatures and token generators. . . with my card you'll have a much harder problem running a deck with no other spells. In legacy you do have a 3 card combo of Creature + My card + personal tutor for UURB + and then some spells to allow you to go off with all the cards in your hand, but I'm unsure that will even be that good.

Warmatt
2015-04-11, 01:51 PM
Kin Slaying Wind 3(B/R)(B/R)
Sorcery R
Target Creature fights another creature controlled by the same player
Kicker (B/R)(B/R)(B/R); Target Players creatures fight each other, and lose regeneration, persist, undying and indestructible until the end of the combat

Fable Wright
2015-04-11, 02:03 PM
Gorgon's Glance B
Tribal Instant - Gorgon R
Put a petrification counter on target non-Gorgon creature.
As long as Gorgon's Glance is in your graveyard, creatures with petrification counters on them are colorless artifacts in addition to their other types, cannot attack or block, and lose all abilities.

CantigThimble
2015-04-11, 04:54 PM
Mistform Claim UG
Instant R
Exile target creature or planeswalker. It's controller puts a 2/2 blue and green creature token that is all creature types onto the battlefield. As long as it remains exiled you may cast it and spend mana as if it were mana of any color to cast it.

I'm in the market for a better name if anyone has one.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-04-11, 05:30 PM
Enlightened Command 1UURW
Instant; R

Choose two:
* Counter target spell.
* Enlightened Command deals 4 damage to target creature or player.
* Purify target player or permanent. (Exile all permanents attached to it, remove all counters from it, and all effects lasting until end of turn end immediately.)
* Target creature gains flying and lifelink until end of turn.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-04-12, 01:32 AM
Redesign 3UW
Sorcery - R
Exile target creature, then Manifest it. (Put it onto the battlefield face-down under your control. It's a 2/2 creature. Turn it face up at any time for its mana cost. Remember not to steal the card in real life.)
This beast doesn't fit well into our new world order, but we might be able to re-introduce it after a little tweaking.

bryn0528
2015-04-12, 10:31 PM
Lethaean Trellis 2WU
Creature — Wall R
Flying, Defender.
{U}{U}; Fateseal 1. (To fateseal 1, look at the top card of an opponent's library, then you may put that card on the bottom of that library.)
When ~ blocks a creature, put target permanent on top of its owner's library.
Through space and time, all again becomes forgotten.
0 / 3

*Since I'm not terribly certain, I really hope that this qualifies as removal.
**Also it's been a while, so this is probably ridiculous one way or another and I'd like to apologize for that now.

braveheart
2015-04-13, 11:12 AM
Nature's Reign 1RG
Instant- R
Destroy target artifact or enchantment, deal damage equal to its converted mana cost to target creature or player

Gandariel
2015-04-14, 05:43 AM
Corpse blast 1RB
Sorcery R
~ Deals 4 damage to target creature.
If that creature dies this turn, it deals 2 damage to all creatures.

Jormengand
2015-04-14, 06:08 AM
Corpse blast 1RB
Sorcery R
If it dies this turn, it deals 2 damage to all creatures.

Can anyone tell me if the wording is right? Thanks :)

Corpse blast 1BR
Sorcery R
If that creature dies this turn, it deals 2 damage to each creature.

...Is the correct wording

Gandariel
2015-04-14, 07:41 AM
Thank you Jormengard! Corrected.

CantigThimble
2015-04-14, 09:35 AM
"it deals 2 damage to each creature"

Does that mean using that on a Typhoid rats is a wrath?

Jormengand
2015-04-14, 09:40 AM
"it deals 2 damage to each creature"

Does that mean using that on a Typhoid rats is a wrath?

A wrath that costs 1BBR and two cards for no discernible reason, and doesn't stop them being regenerated?

Yeah. It is.

Gandariel
2015-04-14, 10:00 AM
A wrath that costs 1BBR and two cards for no discernible reason, and doesn't stop them being regenerated?

Yeah. It is.

Yeah, I made it so it does have some very slight Johnny combo potential, but I don't really see anything game breaking.

(Because if you want a Wrath, Damnation just does it better)

Jormengand
2015-04-14, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I made it so it does have some very slight Johnny combo potential, but I don't really see anything game breaking.

(Because if you want a Wrath, Damnation just does it better)

Though, Vampire Nighthawk or something with Basilisk Collar or Willing could be hilarious.

Fortuna
2015-04-14, 09:51 PM
Cruel Culling 2BB
Sorcery - R
Each player chooses a creature he or she doesn't control. For each creature chosen in this way, that creature's controller sacrifices it.

r2d2go
2015-04-15, 01:25 AM
Mana Overload XUR
Sorcery - R
Target creature gets +X/-X until end of turn. If that creature dies this turn, flip a coin. If heads, deal X damage to target opponent. If tails, add X+1 mana to your mana pool divided among red and blue, and you may cast this spell from your graveyard until end of turn.
Overload XX1UR
Too... much...

Beacon of Chaos
2015-04-15, 03:32 PM
Mirror Blast 2BB

Sorcery - R

Destroy target creature and each creature with the same power as that creature.

Blue Ghost
2015-04-16, 12:56 PM
Riddle with Arrows 1R
Instant (R)
Riddle with Arrows deals 3 damage to target creature.
Tactics (As this spell resolves, you may exile it on target creature you control. Whenever that creature attacks, you may pay this card’s mana cost to cast a copy of it.)

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Riddle%20with%20Arrows_zpsv1axuzjr.jpg

Ninjaman
2015-04-17, 12:11 PM
Yeah. Let's go for:

Blood for Blood B
Instant - R
Destroy target creature you control and target creature you don't control.
An eye for an eye isn't the worst of your problems.

Empathic Obliterator 4BB
Sorcery - R
Destroy target creature and each creature that shares a name with it.
The enemy of your enemy is dead.

This is wastly overcosted, take a look at sever the bloodline.

Sorcery R
Looks alright, though I think it would have been cleaner if it said: "Destroy target creature. It can't be regenerated. Its controller exiles cards from the top of his or her library until he or she exiles an instant or sorcery card. That player may cast that card without paying it's mana cost. Put the exiled cards on the bottom in a random order."

Necatoriasis 3BG
Instant - (R)
Destroy target creature. Put X 1/1 green and black Worm creature tokens onto the battlefield, where X is the creature's toughness.
"Do struggle. Hookworms love a strong host." - Cevraya, Golgari shaman
Cool spell, unsure about the powerlevel, but it seems fine.

Chain of Time 1U
Instant - R
Compared to delay it seems fine without the chain clause, or at U, since it need to keep it's rarity.

Acidic Smog 2BB
Sorcery R
You may pay 5 life. If you do, destroy target non-black creature. Then exile acidic smog with 1 time counter on it. It gains suspend.
Interesting card. Certainly has potential, and I think the life loss is steep enough to make it fair.

Kin Slaying Wind 3(B/R)(B/R)
Sorcery R
Target Creature fights another creature controlled by the same player
Kicker (B/R)(B/R)(B/R); Target Players creatures fight each other, and lose regeneration, persist, undying and indestructible until the end of the combatThis should not be black, the kicker tries to do much, and regenetation doesn't work like you think it does.

Gorgon's Glance B
Tribal Instant - Gorgon R
Put a petrification counter on target non-Gorgon creature.
As long as Gorgon's Glance is in your graveyard, creatures with petrification counters on them are colorless artifacts in addition to their other types, cannot attack or block, and lose all abilities.
This is a really interesting and unique spell. Only critique I can come up with is that Tribal isn't really done anymore.

Mistform Claim UG
Instant R
Exile target creature or planeswalker. It's controller puts a 2/2 blue and green creature token that is all creature types onto the battlefield. As long as it remains exiled you may cast it and spend mana as if it were mana of any color to cast it.

I'm in the market for a better name if anyone has one.
Seems way too strong compared to Reality Shift. Also it they way it's worded it seems as if the card cares for the token being exiled.

Enlightened Command 1UURW
Instant; R

Choose two:
* Counter target spell.
* Enlightened Command deals 4 damage to target creature or player.
* Purify target player or permanent. (Exile all permanents attached to it, remove all counters from it, and all effects lasting until end of turn end immediately.)
* Target creature gains flying and lifelink until end of turn.
I like the idea of tripple colored commands, through I don't think it should be more focused on one color than the others. Flying and lifelink seems very weak compared to the other abilities, it could probably give first strike as well. I am not a fan of Purify.

Redesign 3UW
Sorcery - R
Exile target creature, then Manifest it. (Put it onto the battlefield face-down under your control. It's a 2/2 creature. Turn it face up at any time for its mana cost. Remember not to steal the card in real life.)
This beast doesn't fit well into our new world order, but we might be able to re-introduce it after a little tweaking.Cool effect, though UW don't get unconditional removal, this should have some restriction or splash black.

Lethaean Trellis 2WU
Creature — Wall R
Flying, Defender.
{U}{U}; Fateseal 1. (To fateseal 1, look at the top card of an opponent's library, then you may put that card on the bottom of that library.)
When ~ blocks a creature, put target permanent on top of its owner's library.
Through space and time, all again becomes forgotten.
0 / 3

*Since I'm not terribly certain, I really hope that this qualifies as removal.
**Also it's been a while, so this is probably ridiculous one way or another and I'd like to apologize for that now.
Not really a removal spell. Fateseal wasn't printed more for a reason, it is a really annoying mechanic, especially if your opponent can spam it for UU.

Nature's Reign 1RG
Instant- R
Destroy target artifact or enchantment, deal damage equal to its converted mana cost to target creature or player
Seems fair, though I'm not sure if this rare material.

Corpse blast 1RB
Sorcery R
If that creature dies this turn, it deals 2 damage to all creatures.
At first I thought this was too strong, but at rare it might be alright, though I would have preffered it if it was Corpse Blast did the damage and not the creature, because it brings up some wierd situations, (It seems wierd that exploding a typhoid rats would kill all creatures, and that shooting an abzan guide will get your opponent lots of life. But most of all it seems silly that the pyroclasm get's around protection by being the color of the creature you shoot.).

Mana Overload XUR
Sorcery - R
Target creature gets +X/-X until end of turn. If that creature dies this turn, flip a coin. If heads, deal X damage to target opponent. If tails, add X+1 mana to your mana pool divided among red and blue, and you may cast this spell from your graveyard until end of turn.
Overload XX1UR
Too... much...
This is just too random and wierd for no real reason.

Cruel Culling 2BB
Sorcery - R
Each player chooses a creature he or she doesn't control. For each creature chosen in this way, that creature's controller sacrifices it.
Sweet card, obviously intended for multiplayer but that's not a bad thing.

Mirror Blast 2BB

Sorcery - R

Destroy target creature and each creature with the same power as that creature.
Interesting. Difficult to evaluate but at four mana and sorcery speed it won't be too good. Probably fine.

Riddle with Arrows 1R
Instant (R)
Riddle with Arrows deals 3 damage to target creature.
Tactics (As this spell resolves, you may exile it on target creature you control. Whenever that creature attacks, you may pay this card’s mana cost to cast a copy of it.)

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Riddle%20with%20Arrows_zpsv1axuzjr.jpg
This seems really strong, especially on something with hexproof. Tactics is a lot like cipher, but I guess that's okay, since I'm guessing it will be white/red. The card is difficult to evaluate, but I think it should at least have been a sorcery.

There were a lot of really great entries:
DMofDarkness - Gorgon's Glance
This card was really unique and interesting while also being balanced.

Fable Wright
2015-04-17, 04:41 PM
Thank you, Ninjaman.

For the next contest, suppose Wizard made an Archenemy-themed draft format in the vein of conspiracy. Instead of Conspiracies, packs contained Schemes that could be drafted and put into or withheld from the archenemy's Scheme deck for a given round. Instead of a city of secrets, the theme is a city of superheroes and supervillains. Design a card or scheme for this super(hero/villain)-themed set.

EDIT: For clarification on how this draft would work:

Each booster pack will contain one Scheme in the land slot, and a few additional Schemes in Common or Uncommon slots. The Archenemy in each of the 4-person games will be the player who has the highest number of Schemes at the start of the game. (If there is a tie, the Archenemy is randomly decided from among the players with the most Schemes.) If they have less than 10 schemes in their scheme deck, each other player going clockwise order must contribute one scheme to the Archenemy's deck until either the Archenemy has 10 schemes or there are no more schemes left among the players.

Blue Ghost
2015-04-17, 04:57 PM
Archenemy draft? That's certainly an interesting idea, and one that I'm quite interested in playtesting, but I'm not sure it would work out without significant alterations to the archenemy rules.

How is the archenemy decided? Is it determined before the draft starts?

Is there one scheme per pack? How would an archenemy be able to draft a functional 40-card deck along with the schemes they need? What happens if they don't get enough schemes?

I foresee a draft with multiple players teaming against one will have complications. The heroes, if they're skilled enough at drafting, can easily gang up on the archenemy and cut them off from viable decks. This would result in nobody having a playable deck, which would not be fun.

I suppose the cards we design for the contest could be aimed at mitigating some of those issues, but those considerations should be built into the rules to start with.

Ionbound
2015-04-17, 05:04 PM
Those You Love Shall Join Me!

Ongoing Scheme

At the beginning of your turn, declare a player. You control that player during their next turn. Abandon this scheme when the player you would control or a permanent they control deals damage to you.

Fable Wright
2015-04-17, 05:21 PM
Archenemy draft? That's certainly an interesting idea, and one that I'm quite interested in playtesting, but I'm not sure it would work out without significant alterations to the archenemy rules.

How is the archenemy decided? Is it determined before the draft starts?

Is there one scheme per pack? How would an archenemy be able to draft a functional 40-card deck along with the schemes they need? What happens if they don't get enough schemes?

I foresee a draft with multiple players teaming against one will have complications. The heroes, if they're skilled enough at drafting, can easily gang up on the archenemy and cut them off from viable decks. This would result in nobody having a playable deck, which would not be fun.

I suppose the cards we design for the contest could be aimed at mitigating some of those issues, but those considerations should be built into the rules to start with.

Then, for clarification:
Each booster pack will contain one Scheme in the land slot, and a few additional Schemes in Common or Uncommon slots. The Archenemy in each of the 4-person games will be the player who has the highest number of Schemes at the start of the game. (If there is a tie, the Archenemy is randomly decided from among the players with the most Schemes.) If they have less than 10 schemes in their scheme deck, each other player going clockwise order must contribute one scheme to the Archenemy's deck until either the Archenemy has 10 schemes or there are no more schemes left among the players.

Thus, the archenemy can go unhidden until the start of a game, preventing them from being choked off, and they will be guaranteed a scheme deck. Likely, many of the cards in the set affect each opponent or have Overload (or some new Overlord mechanic that functions for the archenemy only?) to help keep a player who did not plan on becoming the archenemy from losing outright due to a lack of planning. Do you feel this alleviates your concerns?

Ongoing Scheme

At the beginning of your turn, declare a player. You control that player during their next turn. Abandon this scheme when the character you would control deals damage to you.
What is a character? And in what situation would 'you would control' come up? Is it solely the purview of direct-damage decks to escape this?

Blue Ghost
2015-04-17, 05:26 PM
Then, for clarification:

Thus, the archenemy can go unhidden until the start of a game, preventing them from being choked off, and they will be guaranteed a scheme deck. Likely, many of the cards in the set affect each opponent or have Overload (or some new Overlord mechanic that functions for the archenemy only?) to help keep a player who did not plan on becoming the archenemy from losing outright due to a lack of planning. Do you feel this alleviates your concerns?

That is quite well thought out. Yes, that does eliminate most of the obvious problems with the setup.
Is this a project you are actually working on? I would be quite interested in it if that's the case.

LaZodiac
2015-04-17, 05:44 PM
Behold! My True Form!!
Scheme
When you set this Scheme into motion, exile target creature you control. If you do, put into play a creature or Planeswalker in your cardpool. If it's a creature it gains Haste, if it's a Planeswalker you may activate one of its loyalty abilities once this turn as though none of its loyalty abilities have been activated this turn.

Written the way it is because of Chain Veil, though I'd prefer to write it differently. That said

Fable Wright
2015-04-17, 06:34 PM
That is quite well thought out. Yes, that does eliminate most of the obvious problems with the setup.
Is this a project you are actually working on? I would be quite interested in it if that's the case.
No, I was just watching Daredevil recently, and 'superhero' seemed like a fun theme for a week. And then I mentioned scheme as a card type by accident and it seemed to fit, so I tried to figure out how it would actually work as a set. I'm glad it sounds fun, but I'm sorry to disappoint you.

Behold! My True Form!!
Scheme
When you set this Scheme into motion, exile target creature you control. Put into play a creature or Planeswalker in your cardpool. If it's a creature it gains Haste, if it's a Planeswalker you may activate one of its loyalty abilities once this turn as though none of its loyalty abilities have been activated this turn.

Written the way it is because of Chain Veil, though I'd prefer to write it differently. That said
As written, this grants you the creature/planeswalker even if you have no creatures to exile.

LaZodiac
2015-04-17, 06:51 PM
No, I was just watching Daredevil recently, and 'superhero' seemed like a fun theme for a week. And then I mentioned scheme as a card type by accident and it seemed to fit, so I tried to figure out how it would actually work as a set. I'm glad it sounds fun, but I'm sorry to disappoint you.

As written, this grants you the creature/planeswalker even if you have no creatures to exile.

Ah, yes. My mistake, fixing that.

Also considering the superhero theme, mine is uh...clearly more manga based, hopefully it still fits :smalltongue:

Ionbound
2015-04-17, 07:02 PM
What is a character? And in what situation would 'you would control' come up? Is it solely the purview of direct-damage decks to escape this?

That would be a typo. I meant to say player. *goes to reword*

Saposhiente
2015-04-17, 07:08 PM
Behold! My True Form!!
Scheme
When you set this Scheme into motion, exile target creature you control. If you do, put into play a creature or Planeswalker in your cardpool. If it's a creature it gains Haste, if it's a Planeswalker you may activate one of its loyalty abilities once this turn as though none of its loyalty abilities have been activated this turn.

let me just fetch my blightsteel colossus real quick

LaZodiac
2015-04-17, 07:24 PM
let me just fetch my blightsteel colossus real quick

It has to be in the card pool for the draft. That's the entire point of this set after all.

Saposhiente
2015-04-17, 09:38 PM
It has to be in the card pool for the draft. That's the entire point of this set after all.

Still pointing out the principle of not giving out +unlimited CMC and especially not with haste. That how you get table flip drafts.

LaZodiac
2015-04-17, 10:20 PM
Still pointing out the principle of not giving out +unlimited CMC and especially not with haste. That how you get table flip drafts.

I think it's balanced. You require a creature (which isn't always possible given you're being ganged up on every combat) and the main benefit of this card is having a good card to use...and not having it in your deck. I think it's interesting since it helps patch up the idea of "oops, draft led to having a card I can't play but wish I could" type scenarios, so you can surprise your opponents (which also feels kind of good for a Superhero vs Supervillian set).

Additionally, it's certainly splashy enough to be a Scheme. But I'll keep your suggestions in mind.

Tom the Mime
2015-04-18, 08:55 PM
I think this is worded poorly but I think the idea comes through. Given it's a draft format where anyone can become archenemy at the start of the game it could work there but there'd probably be more issues with playing it in a different archenemy format.

Identity theft
Scheme
You may pay half your life total, rounded down, to have target opposing player gain control of the scheme deck. If you do, they become the new archenemy, their life total is set to twice the average life total of their opponents and may destroy half your creatures, rounded down.

You think your friends will believe you when you wear my face?

CantigThimble
2015-04-18, 10:35 PM
Indomitable Hero 3W
Creature - Human Mutant U
Protection from Schemes
Whenever a scheme is set in motion put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
3/2
"Ha HA! It will take more than that to subdue Ludvig the Magnificent!"
-Charlie Lee, Chemistry Teacher

Hmm, I need to remove an ability or make this rare. I'd rather keep it an uncommon.

Indomitable Hero 3W
Whenever a scheme is abandoned put a +1/+1 counter on Indomitable Hero.
2/2

This gives him more synergy with the archenemy's deck. Heroes in a villain's deck doesn't make the MOST sense but that's unavoidable here.

onasuma
2015-04-19, 01:51 AM
You won't like me when I'm angry 2RG
Enchantment R
Whenever you take damage, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
Creatures you control with 3 or more +1/+1 counters have trample.
Creatures you control with 6 or more +1/+1 counters are indestructible.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-04-19, 04:12 PM
We're Putting a Team Together 3W

Enchantment - R

When ~ enters the battlefield, if you are not the archenemy, each nonarchenemy player may put a hero counter on a creature he or she controls. Those creatures have protection from schemes.

When ~ enters the battlefield, if you are the archenemy, put a villain counter on up to 3 creatures you control. Each time a scheme is set in motion, put a +1/+1 counter on each of those creatures.

When ~ leaves the battlefield, remove all hero and villain counters from each creature.

Warmatt
2015-04-19, 04:27 PM
Dissension in the Ranks
Ongoing Scheme

When a creature controlled by a non-archenemy player attacks, it's controller must pay X, where X is equal to the number of creatures on the field, or it fights target creature of the Archenemies choosing instead.
Abandon this scheme if a non-archenemy has Devotion to any color 10 or higher.

LaZodiac
2015-04-19, 05:04 PM
I'd write that as "Devotion to any color" just so it's clear what Devotion is :smalltongue:

Warmatt
2015-04-19, 05:17 PM
Thank you, new to the format, so wanted something that showed dissention in the ranks, but also unity.

Fable Wright
2015-04-19, 05:32 PM
Dissension in the Ranks
Ongoing Scheme

When a creature controlled by a non-archenemy player attacks, it's controller must pay X, where X is equal to the number of creatures on the field, or it fights target creature of the Archenemies choosing instead.
Devotion to 10+ does not happen in drafts without an extremely dedicated deck for archetypes that this format may not support. Keep that in mind.

I have no idea if schemes can even be countered. I've never played this format before. Thoughts?
I'm going to allow that schemes can be countered, but bear in mind that they're the biggest tool that the archenemy has in his arsenal. Putting hero tokens on three saprolings and denying the Archenemy any schemes for three turns kinda seals most games.

Also, bear in mind that this draft format is one where you might unexpectedly be forced into the role of archenemy at the start of the game, with this still in your deck. Perhaps consider how the archenemy's villainous team of loyal minions and treacherous turncoats might function?

Zaydos
2015-04-19, 08:04 PM
Wrench in the Works 2UU
Instant - R
Counter target scheme.

2U, Discard ~: Draw 2 cards. Activate this ability only if you played a scheme this turn.

Sometimes there is nothing better than the unexpected.

Ninjaman
2015-04-20, 01:26 AM
Knowledge Spill - 2UR
Sorcery - R
Each player who isn't the arcenemy draws two cards.
Villanous - If you are the archenemy, Knowledge Spill deals damage to each opponent equal to the number of cards in that player's hand.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-04-20, 03:06 AM
I'm going to allow that schemes can be countered, but bear in mind that they're the biggest tool that the archenemy has in his arsenal. Putting hero tokens on three saprolings and denying the Archenemy any schemes for three turns kinda seals most games.

Also, bear in mind that this draft format is one where you might unexpectedly be forced into the role of archenemy at the start of the game, with this still in your deck. Perhaps consider how the archenemy's villainous team of loyal minions and treacherous turncoats might function?
Ah, fair point. Alright, I'll change some things.

mystic1110
2015-04-20, 08:44 AM
Slanderous Chronicler 1W
Creature - Human Townsfolk U
If you are the Archenemy, this creature's activated abilities cost up to {2} less to activate.
{2W}, {T}: Tap target creature. That creature doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
"My god, he was a hero. He truly was an asset to this city. He was... No! He was ... a criminal! That's who he is! A burglar! A cretin!"
1/1

braveheart
2015-04-20, 10:59 AM
Cut Off the Head - 3B
Instant-U
Each opponent sacrifices the creature they control with the highest power
...and the body shall wither

This should be useful in a lot of multiplayer formats, and especially strong when used by the archenemy

Jormengand
2015-04-20, 11:12 AM
Pass the Buck
Scheme
Target opponent who hasn't been targeted by this effect yet chooses Honour or Glory. If that player chooses Glory, that player becomes the Archenemy (they use their own scheme deck, with cards donated to make 10 if necessary as normal) and you stop being the Archenemy. If they choose Honour, repeat this process. If you can't, nothing happens.

Blue Ghost
2015-04-21, 05:10 PM
Hostage Situation
Ongoing Scheme
When you set this scheme in motion, choose target player.
Whenever damage would be dealt to you, it is dealt to the chosen player instead.
When the chosen player is targeted by a spell or ability, abandon this scheme.
"It would be so unfortunate if your friend were to have an accident. None of us would want that, would we?"

Fortuna
2015-04-22, 07:21 PM
Plans Upon Plans 2UU
Sorcery - R
If you are not the archenemy, Plans Upon Plans costs 3 more to cast.
Set the top card of the scheme deck in motion.

Fable Wright
2015-04-26, 05:36 PM

Ongoing Scheme

At the beginning of your turn, declare a player. You control that player during their next turn. Abandon this scheme when the player you would control or a permanent they control deals damage to you.
This is is a bad idea. Bear in mind that direct damage to a player is not a common effect. If this scheme is played on a White, Blue, or Green player, that effectively perma-locks them onto the archenemy's side, and they have absolutely no outs for it. That's a feel-bad effect that's impossible to break, and that's the opposite of what Magic should be.

Behold! My True Form!!
Scheme

It's a interesting idea. This card comes down early, and it doesn't do anything based off a lack of creatures. On turn 3 or so, though, getting out a late-game fatty that was designed to subdue 3 players at once is hard to get out of, and player-based 'destroy target creature' effects are likely to be hard to come across as a way to give a boost to the archenemy. Lategame, it just gives versatility to the archenemy's plans, which is pretty nice. Only problem mechanically is that your cardpool includes your deck and exile, which... could cause some complications with rules questions.

I think this is worded poorly but I think the idea comes through. Given it's a draft format where anyone can become archenemy at the start of the game it could work there but there'd probably be more issues with playing it in a different archenemy format.

Identity theft
Scheme
You may pay half your life total, rounded down, to have target opposing player gain control of the scheme deck. If you do, they become the new archenemy, their life total is set to twice the average life total of their opponents and may destroy half your creatures, rounded down.

You think your friends will believe you when you wear my face?
This... has rules questions. How does the transition to archenemy happen? Given that the archenemy's opponents' share a turn, this leads to some very awkward questions of how to proceed. Aside from that, this is a very feel-bad experience. The archenemy just destroyed your hand and board, then suddenly you are the archenemy? And there's nothing you can do about it? That's just about the worst feeling.

Indomitable Hero 3W
Whenever a scheme is abandoned put a +1/+1 counter on Indomitable Hero.
2/2

This gives him more synergy with the archenemy's deck. Heroes in a villain's deck doesn't make the MOST sense but that's unavoidable here.
You get bonus points for actually making a creature.

Aside from that, this is actually rather weak. As it's only triggered when a scheme is abandoned, it only works with ongoing schemes, which there isn't even a guarantee of getting in your pool. Tapping out for a 2/2 creature that may or may not grow by 1 or 2 counters doesn't seem like a good deal, either for the archenemy or the heroes. Still, nifty concept.

You won't like me when I'm angry 2RG
Enchantment R
Whenever you take damage, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
Creatures you control with 3 or more +1/+1 counters have trample.
Creatures you control with 6 or more +1/+1 counters are indestructible.
I like this. It naturally powers itself up in the archenemy's deck, and the effects are much more useful for the archenemy for the player, but never to the point where it's useless in any deck. My sole complaint is how hard it is to get trample or indestructible given the archenemy's need to buff their whole team.

Well, that and the fact that the name wouldn't fit in the text box at the top of a card.

We're Putting a Team Together 3W

Enchantment - R

When ~ enters the battlefield, if you are not the archenemy, each nonarchenemy player may put a hero counter on a creature he or she controls. Those creatures have protection from schemes.

When ~ enters the battlefield, if you are the archenemy, put a villain counter on up to 3 creatures you control. Each time a scheme is set in motion, put a +1/+1 counter on each of those creatures.

When ~ leaves the battlefield, remove all hero and villain counters from each creature.
This is fun and flavorful. My biggest complaint is that it costs a bit too much for the heroes. Most schemes don't directly impact creatures, and paying 4 to protect against the rare wrath or control effect might be a bit too much. Other than that, though, solid entry.

Dissension in the Ranks
Ongoing Scheme

Nope. Devotion 10+ will never happen, and the effect is too damn strong.

Wrench in the Works 2UU
Instant - R
Counter target scheme.

2U, Discard ~: Draw 2 cards. Activate this ability only if you played a scheme this turn.

Sometimes there is nothing better than the unexpected.
I like this in concept, but the biggest problem I have is the downgrade the card gets. It goes from counter target scheme, a huge effect, to an instant-speed divination that you can only cast on your turn. If it was draw 3 cards, then you'd be cooking with petrol. As it is, it's okay.

Knowledge Spill - 2UR
Sorcery - R
Each player who isn't the arcenemy draws two cards.
Villanous - If you are the archenemy, Knowledge Spill deals damage to each opponent equal to the number of cards in that player's hand.
My biggest complaint is that this kneecaps the archenemy a lot for its cost. Regardless of what happens, the archenemy's opponents gain massive card advantage; usually 6 cards; while the archenemy is flailing behind. If it was all players drawing the cards, it wouldn't be as bad, but as it is, this is backbreaking.

Slanderous Chronicler 1W
Creature - Human Townsfolk U
If you are the Archenemy, this creature's activated abilities cost up to {2} less to activate.
{2W}, {T}: Tap target creature. That creature doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
"My god, he was a hero. He truly was an asset to this city. He was... No! He was ... a criminal! That's who he is! A burglar! A cretin!"
1/1
Bonus points for making a creature. I like the concept. It costs a lot to keep the archenemy down, but subdoing a couple of the players' creatures is not so big a deal. It's also more playable in other formats. On the whole, not bad.

Cut Off the Head - 3B
Instant-U
Each opponent sacrifices the creature they control with the highest power
...and the body shall wither

This should be useful in a lot of multiplayer formats, and especially strong when used by the archenemy
This is the kind of card I like to see. Useful regardless of who gets it, and a strong effect besides. My only complaint is that this is an instant and an uncommon. If it was one or the other, it would be fine, but this is just a bit too much power for both.

Pass the Buck
Scheme
Target opponent who hasn't been targeted by this effect yet chooses Honour or Glory. If that player chooses Glory, that player becomes the Archenemy (they use their own scheme deck, with cards donated to make 10 if necessary as normal) and you stop being the Archenemy. If they choose Honour, repeat this process. If you can't, nothing happens.
This card, as Tom the Mine's, raises issue of who goes next, given that the archenemy's opponents share a turn. This is the kind of scheme you'd want to donate to the archenemy, because really, it does nothing of benefit for them. The only time they'd say yes is when it's certain that they'd be able to win, and that's just not going to lead to good gameplay.

Hostage Situation
Ongoing Scheme
When you set this scheme in motion, choose target player.
Whenever damage would be dealt to you, it is dealt to the chosen player instead.
When the chosen player is targeted by a spell or ability, abandon this scheme.
"It would be so unfortunate if your friend were to have an accident. None of us would want that, would we?"
I like this. It's useful in every stage of the game, and will often have a significant cost to achieve, and gives the archenemy a chance to actually set up their boardstate. Unsure if it's too strong, but I like the concept.

Plans Upon Plans 2UU
Sorcery - R
This is a very, very interesting card in its possibilities. I like it. My only complaint is that it's worthless outside of Archenemy.

Lots of interesting cards, but special mention goes to Blue Ghost, Random_person, mystic1110, and braveheart.

The winner, though, is Random_person, for a card that is uniquely tailored to the format and fits on so many levels. Congratulations!

CantigThimble
2015-04-26, 11:16 PM
Ah, my bad, I was under the impression that a scheme being discarded for any reason was 'abandoning' it, so it would grow once a turn or less.

Warmatt
2015-04-26, 11:17 PM
I knew I should have worded as "If the Devotion to any color among all non-archenemies are 10+" :smallfrown:

Eh, always next week.

LaZodiac
2015-04-26, 11:22 PM
Good match all around. I didn't realize it card pool meant your deck and exile zone, huh.

Fable Wright
2015-04-26, 11:26 PM
Good match all around. I didn't realize it card pool meant your deck and exile zone, huh.

That's why it's usually worded as 'cards you own from outside the game.' Your card pool is simply the word used to describe every card you took in a draft or opened in sealed. However, wording it as cards from outside the game leads to... silly things, in regular Archenemy.

EDIT:

I knew I should have worded as "If the Devotion to any color among all non-archenemies are 10+" :smallfrown:

Eh, always next week.

That... would not have helped much, as the vast majority of the time, people are going to go into different colors. Hitting devotion 5 in draft was not easy in Theros block, and two players hitting devotion 5 for the same color? Noooo.

Perhaps, in the future, consider using keywords other than devotion, or at least choosing much, much lower thresholds?

LaZodiac
2015-04-26, 11:28 PM
That's why it's usually worded as 'cards you own from outside the game.' Your card pool is simply the word used to describe every card you took in a draft or opened in sealed. However, wording it as cards from outside the game leads to... silly things, in regular Archenemy.

Yeah. I also figured using Card Pool would work since since it's a Draft set? Maybe I could of phrased it like "cards you drafted that aren't in the game."

But yeah, this was a fun contest. Excited to see the next one.

Saposhiente
2015-04-27, 01:48 AM
That... would not have helped much, as the vast majority of the time, people are going to go into different colors. Hitting devotion 5 in draft was not easy in Theros block, and two players hitting devotion 5 for the same color? Noooo.

Perhaps, in the future, consider using keywords other than devotion, or at least choosing much, much lower thresholds?

I think he wanted "devotion to any" rather than "devotion to any one color", as in where you count all of your colored mana symbols and add em up. Probably not possible with current rules (short of spelling it out).

Beacon of Chaos
2015-04-27, 07:43 AM
Plans Upon Plans 2UU
Sorcery - R
Forgive me, but as I mentioned I'm not very familiar with Archenemy. Does this mean that the player who casts this plays the scheme as though they were the archenemy? If so, how does that work for the cards that ask "self or others"? If not, why would you use it?

Not trying to be difficult or anything, just not actually sure how the card works. :smallsmile:

Fable Wright
2015-04-27, 09:20 AM
I think he wanted "devotion to any" rather than "devotion to any one color", as in where you count all of your colored mana symbols and add em up. Probably not possible with current rules (short of spelling it out).

That's still extremely hard to get for one person barring the extreme lategame, and if it was among all permanents the non-archenemy controlled, then it's a meaninglessly small restriction. There's a reason Wizards is extremely careful when, where, and why they ever do threshold mechanics. One if them is that they never ask for your opponents to fill a keyword threshold.

Forgive me, but as I mentioned I'm not very familiar with Archenemy. Does this mean that the player who casts this plays the scheme as though they were the archenemy? If so, how does that work for the cards that ask "self or others"? If not, why would you use it?

Not trying to be difficult or anything, just not actually sure how the card works. :smallsmile:

It's played as written on the card. For example, from Surrender your Thoughts:

When you set this scheme in motion, target opponent chooses self or others. If that player chooses self, he or she discards four cards. If the player chooses others, each of your other opponents discards two cards.
So the Archenemy is targeted, and chooses Self (in which case, they discard 4) or Others (in which case, no one discards anything). Make sense?

Beacon of Chaos
2015-04-27, 04:18 PM
Yeah, that does make sense. Thanks.

Fable Wright
2015-04-30, 10:20 PM
As Random_Person does not appear to be showing up, should we move to the second-place winner, mystic1110?

LaZodiac
2015-04-30, 10:26 PM
I'm okay with that as long as the new contest gets posted.

mystic1110
2015-04-30, 11:01 PM
Victory ! (Sort of) :smalltongue:

Ok how about make a card that includes in its text a number that is seven or higher: this could be a mana cost, devotion, formidable, or anything else as long as a number seven or higher in number or text form appears in the rules text.

LaZodiac
2015-04-30, 11:56 PM
Seance of Qadat 4R
Sorcery (R)
Each player exiles the top seven cards from their library. Until the end of your next turn, they may play those cards.
"When seeing visions in the magma, snatch them quickly least they turn to ash in the sky."

onasuma
2015-05-01, 06:36 AM
Snow White 5W
Legendary Creature - Human R
When ~ enters the battlefield, put seven 1/2 red dwarf tokens into play.
Dwarf you control have vigilance.
2/2

It was low hanging fruit, Ill admit.

Warmatt
2015-05-01, 06:49 AM
Nurgle, Lord of Decay 3BBGG
Legendary Enchantment Creature- Demon God MR
Indestructible, Infect
As long as your devotion to Black and Green is less then seven, Nurgle, Lord of Decay is not a creature
Non-White and Non-Blue creatures you control have Lifelink, Wither and Absorb X, where X is your devotion to black
Whenever a creature with a -1/-1 counter on it is destroyed, place a 2/2 Green/Black Nurgling Demon Enchantment Creature token into play
7/7

As the Chaos god whose number is 7, Nurgle looked like a good choice.

CantigThimble
2015-05-01, 01:10 PM
Dance with Obilivion 3BB
Sorcery - R
Target player searches their library for 7 cards and exiles them face down. Exile that player's library. The next time they would draw a card shuffle the face down pile and put it on top of their library.

Edited to remove insta-win mill combos.

Jormengand
2015-05-01, 01:56 PM
Choose Your Death 2WUBRG
Sorcery - R
Target opponent may exile 7 permanents they control, put cards from their library into their graveyard until there are 7 left, put a 14/14 green beast creature token with trample and reach onto the battlefield under your control, or have Choose Your Death deal 21 damage to them. If they don't, you search their library for up to 14 cards and exile them
Being allowed to choose the method of your own execution is a small mercy to the convicted.

Fable Wright
2015-05-01, 02:03 PM
Choose Your Death 2WUBRG
Sorcery - R
Target opponent may discard 7 cards, exile 7 permanents they control, put the top 28 cards of their library into their graveyard, or put a 14/14 green beast creature token with trample and reach onto the battlefield under your control. If they don't, Choose Your Death deals 21 damage to them.
Being allowed to choose the method of your own execution is a small mercy to the convicted.

The effects are meant to be B, W, U, G and R respectively. Not sure if 21 damage/28 cards is too much, but they can always avoid it by doing something else (even if it's letting you get your hands on a beast that'll kill them anyway.

The discard 7 cards bit is problematic. As written, they can only take that option if they have 7 cards in hand, meaning this will almost never be a possible option, but if they could discard when they have less cards in hand, then this is just a harder-to-cast Wit's End. Perhaps choose another option for black?

Jormengand
2015-05-01, 02:22 PM
The discard 7 cards bit is problematic. As written, they can only take that option if they have 7 cards in hand, meaning this will almost never be a possible option, but if they could discard when they have less cards in hand, then this is just a harder-to-cast Wit's End. Perhaps choose another option for black?

I considered 7 poison counters, but that's useless if you don't have the synergy for it. Not sure what else I could do for black.

Warmatt
2015-05-01, 02:27 PM
Maybe "Seven creatures target controls gains Cumulative Upkeep; Gain a -1/-1 counter"?

Jormengand
2015-05-01, 02:29 PM
Maybe "Seven creatures target controls gains Cumulative Upkeep; Gain a -1/-1 counter"?

Way too complicated plus memory issues.

Fable Wright
2015-05-01, 02:33 PM
I considered 7 poison counters, but that's useless if you don't have the synergy for it. Not sure what else I could do for black.

Kicked Sadistic Sacrament effect? Sacrifice 7 creatures? You draw 7 cards and they lose 7 life? Get 7 demons or perhaps imps or minions? You tutor 7 cards from your library to hand?

Also, with regards to blue: Right now, this is easily the effect that's most likely to be chosen in any format but limited. Perhaps change it to 'exiles all but 7 cards from the top of their library'?

Jormengand
2015-05-01, 02:37 PM
Kicked Sadistic Sacrament effect? Sacrifice 7 creatures? You draw 7 cards and they lose 7 life? Get 7 demons or perhaps imps or minions? You tutor 7 cards from your library to hand?

Also, with regards to blue: Right now, this is easily the effect that's most likely to be chosen in any format but limited. Perhaps change it to 'exiles all but 7 cards from the top of their library'?

Sadistic sacrament (only 14 instead of 15) and all but 7 cards seem like good ideas.

Zaydos
2015-05-01, 03:06 PM
Seven Year Prophecy 2U
Sorcery C
Scry 7 (Look at the top seven cards of your library, then put any number of them on the bottom of your library and the rest on top in any order.).
What use is it to see what effects your actions will have upon the morrow when they will not truly be felt until years have passed?

Blue Ghost
2015-05-01, 10:54 PM
Phantom Hand Jack 1UR
Legendary Creature - Goblin Rogue (M)
When Phantom Hand Jack enters the battlefield, exile the top seven cards of your library face down. (You may look at them.)
At the beginning of your upkeep, exile your hand face down, then put all other cards exiled with Phantom Hand Jack into your hand.
3/2

TiaC
2015-05-03, 01:07 AM
Desperate Sacrifice B
Sorcery R
As an additional cost to cast Desperate Sacrifice, pay 7 life.
Destroy all creatures.

bryn0528
2015-05-03, 11:08 PM
Promised Seedling G
Creature—Elemental U
Defender, Shroud
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control seven or more forests, ~ loses defender and shroud.
Landfall—Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
1 / 1

mystic1110
2015-05-08, 10:47 AM
Judging will be up later tonight. Stragglers . . . feel free to post. :smallsmile:

Fable Wright
2015-05-08, 05:21 PM
Flash of Omnipotence B
Instant - R
Flash of Omnipotence deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is the one plus the number of spells on the stack. You gain life equal to the damage dealt this way. If that number is 7 or more, you win the game instead.
One moment of omnipotence is easy. The hard part is stretching that moment into an eternity.

enderlord99
2015-05-08, 07:25 PM
Flash of Omnipotence B
Instant - R
Flash of Omnipotence deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is the number of spells on the stack\. You gain life equal to the damage dealt this way. If that number is 7 or more, you win the game instead.
One moment of omnipotence is easy. The hard part is stretching that moment into an eternity.

...When a spell resolves, the number of spells on the stack is zero. Therefore, as written, this spell doesn't do anything.

If you add "when ~ is cast" where I put the bolded backslash, then it might work as intended.

Saposhiente
2015-05-08, 07:48 PM
...When a spell resolves, the number of spells on the stack is zero.

No, it's the number of spells already on the stack when you played it.

enderlord99
2015-05-08, 08:15 PM
No, it's the number of spells already on the stack when you played it.

Yeah, I don't know why I thought that. Oops.

mystic1110
2015-05-08, 11:29 PM
And by tonight I meant tomorrow - work exploded today :smallannoyed:

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-05-09, 07:58 PM
Well, I guess in that case...

Unforgivable Offense 5BB
Sorcery - R
Destroy 7 target creatures and/or planeswalkers.
One is an accident. Four hundred ninety is a statistic. But seven? You'll never hear the end of it.

Ninjaman
2015-05-09, 08:44 PM
Fiery Damnation - 2R
Sorcery - U
Feiry Damnation deals 7 damage to target creature.
"They say few fates are worse than being burned alive. Want to try?"
- Tibalt, the Tormented.

mystic1110
2015-05-10, 10:49 PM
Arg, really sorry everyone - I double promise that this will be done tomorrow!!

LaZodiac
2015-05-11, 12:31 AM
It's quite alright.

mystic1110
2015-05-11, 08:53 AM
Snow White 5W
Legendary Creature - Human R
When ~ enters the battlefield, put seven 1/2 red dwarf tokens into play.
Dwarf you control have vigilance.
2/2

It was low hanging fruit, Ill admit.

Pretty vanilla for a rare - this also seems to be above the curve and a little boring. This is essentially a 9/16 vigilance creature for 5W. Good stats and you can probably do crazy things with the tokens - but it costs too much to combo with, so it's really only going to be a beater and their are better ones out there (although I think this would be the strongest in standard right?)

Seance of Qadat 4R
Sorcery (R)
Each player exiles the top seven cards from their library. Until the end of your next turn, they may play those cards.
"When seeing visions in the magma, snatch them quickly least they turn to ash in the sky." I like that it's until the end of your next turn and not until end of turn. That said - this will be used as past in flames 5-8 if such a thing is ever needed. Or maybe I'm wrong - since this actually can set up a combo and lets you see new cards!

Nurgle, Lord of Decay 3BBGG
Legendary Enchantment Creature- Demon God MR
Indestructible, Infect
As long as your devotion to Black and Green is less then seven, Nurgle, Lord of Decay is not a creature
Non-White and Non-Blue creatures you control have Lifelink, Wither and Absorb X, where X is your devotion to black
Whenever a creature with a -1/-1 counter on it is destroyed, place a 2/2 Green/Black Nurgling Demon Enchantment Creature token into play
7/7

As the Chaos god whose number is 7, Nurgle looked like a good choice.

There is WAY too much going on in this card. Even ignoring that the text wont fit into a box, you have Wither AND Infect on one card. Absorb only tied to Devotion for Black but Godhood tied to Devotion to Black and Green.

Dance with Obilivion 3BB
Sorcery - R
Target player searches their library for 7 cards and exiles them face down. Exile that player's library. The next time they would draw a card shuffle the face down pile and put it on top of their library.

Edited to remove insta-win mill combos.Wonder how this works with Laboratory Maniac? Do you win before or after this cards effect places a card in exile on top of your library? Either way this just seems like a more complicated Doomsday - with memory issues. Why not put the exiled cards immediately into the library like dooms day does?

Choose Your Death 2WUBRG
Sorcery - R
Target opponent may exile 7 permanents they control, put cards from their library into their graveyard until there are 7 left, put a 14/14 green beast creature token with trample and reach onto the battlefield under your control, or have Choose Your Death deal 21 damage to them. If they don't, you search their library for up to 14 cards and exile them
Being allowed to choose the method of your own execution is a small mercy to the convicted.Another card with too much going on. Already doubtful that this much text can fit into the box, but the two choices are hard to figure out: It think its 21 damage and 14 cards exiled versus exile 7 permanents, only 7 cards in library, and up against a 14/14 trample with reach (why reach?). While most punisher cards are bad - I struggle to see how this isn't broken. Casting it should win you the game pretty much all the time. . . . such cards should cost 10+ (if they exist at all - which I don't think they should)

Seven Year Prophecy 2U
Sorcery C
Scry 7 (Look at the top seven cards of your library, then put any number of them on the bottom of your library and the rest on top in any order.).
What use is it to see what effects your actions will have upon the morrow when they will not truly be felt until years have passed?This is genius. I don't think it will be a common due to complexity and time issues, but its a very solid card. I also think the card is very bad (not that that's a bad thing, trap cards are good for drafts) since it doesn't actually provide Card Advantage. All in all - great job.

Phantom Hand Jack 1UR
Legendary Creature - Goblin Rogue (M)
When Phantom Hand Jack enters the battlefield, exile the top seven cards of your library face down. (You may look at them.)
At the beginning of your upkeep, exile your hand face down, then put all other cards exiled with Phantom Hand Jack into your hand.
3/2Ah so you switch between hands each turn - might have been fin to do so each turn not just each of your turns. Not much to say other than this is a very interesting card - it provides sort-of-CA, since you see and use 7 cards down, but you don't use them or use them with difficulty in tandem with your other cards. I do worry that good players will figure out that this is essentially a Draw 7 with a 3/2 body. . .

Desperate Sacrifice B
Sorcery R
As an additional cost to cast Desperate Sacrifice, pay 7 life.
Destroy all creatures. I don't think that 7 life justifies making Damnation cost 1 mana - sorry :smallfrown:. It is a huge life investment - but this would be the best 1 mana removal for a long time. Removing True Name Nemisis and every other creature for only 1 mana. Granted this wouldn't go into control decks. . . but combo decks would love this card.

Promised Seedling G
Creature—Elemental U
Defender, Shroud
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control seven or more forests, ~ loses defender and shroud.
Landfall—Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
1 / 1I like this card a lot. Probably should have been a 0/X where X is the amount of forests you control (see Treefolk Seedlings) since the landfall which triggers with any land doesn't jive well with the ability which only triggers based on forest control. Additionally keep in mind that while shroud was much better than hexproof in terms of balance it is a retired keyword and should not be used. Also this might be undercosted - compare to Slithering Shade (for it's offensive capabilities) or Traproot Kami (for its size)

Flash of Omnipotence B
Instant - R
Flash of Omnipotence deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is the one plus the number of spells on the stack. You gain life equal to the damage dealt this way. If that number is 7 or more, you win the game instead.
One moment of omnipotence is easy. The hard part is stretching that moment into an eternity.Including split second cards only 23 cards mention the stack so this is in rough waters already - but its a rare so that's forgivable. If hightide figures out how to make black mana - they would love this card since you only need to cast 8 instant spells including this minus whatever an opponent cast. . .. Other than that - treating this card as a burn spell. . . . outside the instawin combo I guess this will at most only do 1 or 2 damage. 1 damage is underpowered but 2 is pretty good. However the hoops necessary makes this tricky. Good card overall.

Well, I guess in that case...

Unforgivable Offense 5BB
Sorcery - R
Destroy 7 target creatures and/or planeswalkers.
One is an accident. Four hundred ninety is a statistic. But seven? You'll never hear the end of it.

So Hex plus 1 plus but includes PWs? That seems fine. You get bonus points for ALSO using 7 words in the rules text. :smalltongue:

Fiery Damnation - 2R
Sorcery - U
Feiry Damnation deals 7 damage to target creature.
"They say few fates are worse than being burned alive. Want to try?"
- Tibalt, the Tormented.
As far as red removal goes I am sure this is acceptable in terms of power level . . . but judging removal is so set specific I have no clue if this is powerful for a limited format. That said - I believe this card is perfectly acceptable.

bryn0528 - Probably too powerful to be 1 mana, and some issues in my mind due to it caring about landfall and forests, and use of shroud kept this from winning.
Blue Ghost - An almost perfect rare - only reason this didn't win was due to the winner's use of beautiful simplicity.
Zaydos! As I said, i think its a bad card, but GREAT card design. Its simple and interesting and at invites brews. I am not sure if it would be a common however.

LaZodiac
2015-05-11, 09:00 AM
Congrats to the winner! I feel like I got close this time, darn :smallamused:

Jormengand
2015-05-11, 09:04 AM
Target opponent may exile 7 permanents they control, put cards from their library into their graveyard until there are 7 left, put a 14/14 green beast creature token with trample and reach onto the battlefield under your control, or have Choose Your Death deal 21 damage to them. If they don't, you search their library for up to 14 cards and exile them.

They only have to choose one of the effects. They can tank 21 to the face if they have that many hit points (Lifelink? Commander?), or they can mill for all but 7, or they can fight a big green beast, or they can exile 7 permanents they control. If they don't, you drop an effect worth slightly under 7BBB (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=195632) on them. The fact that they get to choose is what drops the cost so much.

mystic1110
2015-05-11, 09:12 AM
Target opponent may exile 7 permanents they control, put cards from their library into their graveyard until there are 7 left, put a 14/14 green beast creature token with trample and reach onto the battlefield under your control, or have Choose Your Death deal 21 damage to them. If they don't, you search their library for up to 14 cards and exile them.

They only have to choose one of the effects. They can tank 21 to the face if they have that many hit points (Lifelink? Commander?), or they can mill for all but 7, or they can fight a big green beast, or they can exile 7 permanents they control. If they don't, you drop an effect worth slightly under 7BBB (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=195632) on them. The fact that they get to choose is what drops the cost so much.

Ah! sorry! Didn't realize that they may choose one of all those options - for some reason I read it as a choice between two options. If that's the case . . . then my criticism would have been that the modes are really disproportionate. Fighting a 14/14 beast with no hexproof or protection is easy by turn 4-5 for most decks (bounce, sac, targeted removal) - milling all but seven has no effect on the board state and will probably be chosen if the opponent thinks they can win in seven turn or less. Compare those two modes to 21 damage. . . Although you are right that in other formats that might be chosen more often, for the same reason people would choose mill . . . it doesn't matter if they are already going to win.

Warmatt
2015-05-11, 09:22 AM
Should have just stuck with wither :smallsigh:

But, the reason why the abilities were tied to black, is because of the token generator, which was a greenish effect. Still, it requires devotion, gives a set of abilities to creatures you control that aren't blue or white, only one of which is tied to devotion, and if something dies with a -1/-1 counter? You get a 2/2 token for it.

Jormengand
2015-05-11, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I figured that you'd be hiding a lava axe/archive trap/swiftfoot boots in your hand, depending on which Death you guessed your opponent was going to Choose, so you can make it a bit killier.

Tom the Mime
2015-05-11, 09:39 AM
Looking at it, how would shroud go on Phantom Hand Jack to prevent any flicker shenanigans?

Zaydos
2015-05-11, 10:20 AM
I was torn between Common and Uncommon and decided to err on the side of it's not good make it a common.

And as for the next challenge... make a card that would fit into the original Alara block.

LaZodiac
2015-05-11, 10:43 AM
Ajani, Slayer of Bolas 3RGGW
Planeswalker - Ajani (Loyalty: 4) (MR)
+1: Put two 2/2 white Cat creature tokens onto the battlefield. They gain haste and vigilance until the end of your turn.
-2: Target creature you control fights target creature you don't control. Gain 2 life.
-8: Gain an Emblem that says "At the end of your turn, put an 8/8 red white and green Beast creature token onto the battlefield"

Warmatt
2015-05-11, 10:53 AM
Shaman of Blood and Hunger 2BRG
Creature- Goblin Shaman MR
Goblins you cast have Devour 2 (When they enter play, you may sacrifice any number of creatures. For each creature sacrificed, place 2 +1/+1 counters on it)
When a goblin is placed into the graveyard, place X 1/1 Red Goblin creature tokens into play, where X was the number of +1/+1 counters on the destroyed goblin.
"He preaches a sacrament of blood and power, and his tribe has grown strong on the meat of their kin."
3/3

Don't know much, but while complex, he fits in with Jund. He gives other goblins Devour, and rewards you with life for it. And when they go to the graveyard? You get a swarm of little tokens, that in turn can be devoured and continue the cycle.

LaZodiac
2015-05-11, 10:55 AM
The only problem with that is that it needs to stay within the confines of the Alarra block, and it didn't have multicolored goblin tokens (I think). That's why my cat tokens only temporarly have haste and vigilance, instead of just having them outright. Alarra only had 2/2 white Cat tokens.

Warmatt
2015-05-11, 11:02 AM
Fixed, that, and now hoping my Tribal Lord does better then my Deamon God from last week.

CantigThimble
2015-05-11, 11:42 AM
The shaman would need to say: whenever you cast a goblin creature spell it gains devour X, like bloodlord of vasagoth I think.

Blue Ghost
2015-05-11, 11:46 AM
Does it need all those abilities? Any one or two of those would be a fine card in itself; having three abilities is kind of overkill complexity-wise.

mystic1110
2015-05-11, 11:56 AM
Wrong Answer B
Instant U
Choose a number. Target opponent guesses whether you have less than that number of artifacts in your hand. If the player guessed wrong, you may reveal your hand and target creature gets -X/-X where X is equal to the amount of artifacts in your hand.
"Being Foolish is a greater Offense than Being Evil" - Sharuum the Hegemon

Saposhiente
2015-05-11, 03:50 PM
Wrong Answer B
Instant U
Choose a number. Target opponent guesses whether you have less than that number of artifacts in your hand. If the player guessed wrong, you may reveal your hand. Target Creature gets -X/-X where X is equal to the amount of artifacts in your hand.
Needs an "and".

CantigThimble
2015-05-12, 12:44 PM
Etherium Shambler 1U
Artifact Creature - Zombie C
Unearth 1B
2/2

onasuma
2015-05-12, 03:39 PM
Touch of Bolas XRBU
Sorcery U
Draw X cards. Then, each player discards 3 cards.

CantigThimble
2015-05-12, 04:15 PM
That card might be a bit strong, breakthrough is already a decent card, and this adds on a free mindstab at the cost of 1 colorless becoming (B/R), it deserves to be a mythic as is I think.

Blue Ghost
2015-05-13, 06:33 PM
Asha, Reborn Archangel 3GWU
Legendary Creature - Angel (M)
Flying
When Asha, Reborn Archangel enters the battlefield, draw cards until you have seven cards in your hand. You gain 2 life for each card drawn this way.
"I have returned. Bant shall be whole again."
6/6

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Asha%20Reborn%20Archangel_zpsku830z8u.jpg

Ninjaman
2015-05-14, 09:36 AM
Grixis Deathlord - 2UBR
Creature - Zombie Knight - R
Deathtouch
Whenever a creature you control becomes exiled, target opponent loses 1 life.
Unearth 1UBR
4/5

Zaydos
2015-05-14, 10:05 AM
Just a warning, I'm going to be gone most of/all of this weekend, so judging might not show up until Monday or possibly even Tuesday.

Jormengand
2015-05-14, 10:33 AM
Scattershards 1R
Instant R
Scattershards deals 2 damage to target creature for each colour it is. (Colourless creatures take no damage)
When the world shatters in five, those who stand on the fewest shards shall be rent into the fewest pieces.

CantigThimble
2015-05-20, 04:18 PM
*cough cough*

Zaydos
2015-05-20, 04:19 PM
:smalleek::redface: Sorry had 4 hours of car sleep when I got back and forgot all about this. Give me 1-2 hours.

Edit: And judgment.

Ajani, Slayer of Bolas 3RGGW
Planeswalker - Ajani (Loyalty: 4) (MR)
+1: Put two 2/2 white Cat creature tokens onto the battlefield. They gain haste and vigilance until the end of your turn.
-2: Target creature you control fights target creature you don't control. Gain 2 life.
-8: Gain an Emblem that says "At the end of your turn, put an 8/8 red white and green Beast creature token onto the battlefield"

I like this, it feels Naya, but I'm not sure I'd ever use it. 4 power of creatures (with Vigilance and Haste to boot) is nice, but as a 7 drop, tri color card it feels like it lacks a bit of punch. Then again I'd love this in Commander. My old (and cheap) Mayael deck would squeal over it in fact.

Shaman of Blood and Hunger 2BRG
Creature- Goblin Shaman MR
Goblins you cast have Devour 2 (When they enter play, you may sacrifice any number of creatures. For each creature sacrificed, place 2 +1/+1 counters on it)
When a goblin is placed into the graveyard, place X 1/1 Red Goblin creature tokens into play, where X was the number of +1/+1 counters on the destroyed goblin.
"He preaches a sacrament of blood and power, and his tribe has grown strong on the meat of their kin."
3/3

3/3 for 5 with an interesting effect. It does feel Jund and Mythic, if a bit too tribal for Alara.

Wrong Answer B
Instant U
Choose a number. Target opponent guesses whether you have less than that number of artifacts in your hand. If the player guessed wrong, you may reveal your hand and target creature gets -X/-X where X is equal to the amount of artifacts in your hand.

:smallbiggrin: I don't like artifacts, but this is a really clever effect. It's a fun uncommon, requires you to have artifacts in hand, have more than a few to be good, and mostly screws with the opponent's head. Not sure I'd ever use it, but it's complicated enough to need to be an Uncommon and sometimes uncommons are bad.

Etherium Shambler 1U
Artifact Creature - Zombie C
Unearth 1B
2/2

Nice, simple I could see using it until I look at Gatherer and see several better options at Common for an unearther (2/1 but only costs black and B unearth, Kathari Screecher for 1 more both times but one color and flying) I think I'd have preferred it as a 3/3 for 1 more each time (not good in constructed but have a place in sealed).

Touch of Bolas X R/B U
Sorcery U
Draw X cards. Then, each player discards 3 cards.

So if you're top decking it's 2 mana everyone else discards 3. If you're not (and you're blue you shouldn't be) it's 5 mana everyone else discards 3, and you get to draw 3 then discard 3. And if you have more than 5 mana you can afford to burn it gets crazy. It is definitely too good for an uncommon, probably even a rare.

Asha, Reborn Archangel 3GWU
Legendary Creature - Angel (M)
Flying
When Asha, Reborn Archangel enters the battlefield, draw cards until you have seven cards in your hand. You gain 2 life for each card drawn this way.
"I have returned. Bant shall be whole again."
6/6

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Asha%20Reborn%20Archangel_zpsku830z8u.jpg

Ooh lore soaked. It encourages you to top deck, potentially giving you draw 7 and gain 14 life. It's definitely fun, but doesn't actually scream Bant to me mechanically. Or Green. I mean ETB card draw is a G and/or U effect, life gain on card draw is a WU effect, flying is White or Blue... also I would have liked to see Vigilance and First Strike on a card representing Asha (which are also both white effects, which makes sense with Asha's Favor being a mono-white card).

Grixis Deathlord - 2UBR
Creature - Zombie Knight - R
Deathtouch
Whenever a creature you control becomes exiled, target opponent loses 1 life.
Unearth 1UBR
4/5

Might have liked to see 5/4 over 4/5 (R and B both being at the time high Attack low Toughness colors and high Attack low Toughness going with Grixis's unearth so well), but with deathtouch it doesn't need high attack power and I love the effect. It'd be so much fun in an unearth deck.

Scattershards 1R
Instant R
Scattershards deals 2 damage to target creature for each colour it is. (Colourless creatures take no damage)
When the world shatters in five, those who stand on the fewest shards shall be rent into the fewest pieces.

So in block this might be 2 mana for 6 damage to target creature with good regularity, outside of it you're lucky to get 2 mana for 4. It's an instant which helps (Mizzium Mortars is a sorcery), but ultimately it just doesn't feel like a rare. Of course in block it wouldn't have worked as an uncommon either. Honestly I think this would have worked better in R2R as an uncommon Izzet card (maybe even common). All in all not a bad card. I must also add nice flavor text.

The choice is hard. I want LaZodiac's Slayer of Bolas because Naya is my playground on the fractured plane and it'd be fun in Commander. Cantig and Mystic have some well made relatively common cards, either of which could be really fun, but I'm going to have to give it to Ninjaman because I just really like the effect and would love to combine him with Sedris.

Ninjaman
2015-05-20, 07:36 PM
Glad you liked it.

Challenge: Make something with the fight mechanic (two creatures deal damage to eachother equal to their power)

LaZodiac
2015-05-20, 07:57 PM
Laws of Nature 3G
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a Beast creature enters the battlefield, put two +1+1 counters on it. Then, it fights target creature it's controller doesn't control.
"Let them fight." - Dr Serizawa

That Movie With The Soap
Legendary Land - (UnR)
T: Target creature you control and target creature you don't control deal damage to each other
If you break the rules, sacrifice ~
You know the rules.

CantigThimble
2015-05-20, 08:52 PM
The main selling point on my card was intended to be the fact that it was an artifact that could ETB twice. I like double-tribal commons.

Wild Slayer 2G
Creature - Human Assassin U
Frenzy 3 (Whenever this creature attacks and isn't blocked it gains +3/+0 until end of turn.)
1B: Wild slayer fights target creature.
1/4
Furious anger, tempered by purest hatred into a ruthless killer.

Ionbound
2015-05-20, 11:16 PM
Furious Cathar-1WG

Human Warrior-C

T: ~ fights target non-human creature.

Her heart burns with vengeance for those unfortunate victims of the night.

2/3

Blue Ghost
2015-05-20, 11:40 PM
Cursepuncher 1G
Creature - Human Warrior (R)
1G: Target enchantment becomes a 1/1 creature in addition to its other types until end of turn.
T: Cursepuncher fights target enchantment creature.
"Leave the exorcism mumbo-jumbo to the witch doctors. I just punch 'em in the face."
2/2

Mystic Muse
2015-05-20, 11:43 PM
Ungoliant 3BRG

Legendary Creature - Spider

Reach, protection from white

Whenever Ungoliant or another spider enters the battlefield under your control, you may have Ungoliant fight target creature you don't control.

When Ungoliant is the only creature on the battlefield, sacrifice it.

8/8

Protection from white, because Ungoliant feasted upon white, and the final ability because, the theory goes that in her eternal and ever growing hunger, she eventually devoured herself.

mystic1110
2015-05-21, 08:17 AM
Ah! Almost did a back to back :smalltongue:! Darn it, but Congrats to Ninjaman!

Rakshasa's Whim 3BGU
Sorcery M
Choose target creature target opponent controls, then search target opponent's library for a creature card and put that card onto the battlefield under your control. Those two creatures fight each other. Then that player shuffles his or her library.
Flesh Merchant, Slave Merchant, Death Merchant, Soul Merchant - a Rakshasa is all of these things.

Ashiok's Edict UB
Sorcery R
Put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of target creature, except it's a Nightmare in addition to its other types. That creature and the token fight each other.
Fear is the great Equalizer

Jormengand
2015-05-21, 10:30 AM
Champion Caspar 2WRG
Legendary Creature - Human Soldier R
When Champion Caspar enters the battlefield, he fights any number of target creatures (You choose the order)
T: Return Caspar to your hand.
Normally, champions are only supposed to fight one opponent in honourable combat. Some kings just don't get the message the first time.
4/5

Beacon of Chaos
2015-05-21, 10:36 AM
Enraged Dragon 3BRR

Creature - Dragon - R

Deathouch, Flying

Whenever Enraged Dragon attacks, it fights another target creature.

Enraged Dragon attacks each turn if able.

5/4

Ninjaman
2015-05-21, 03:41 PM
Mystic1110, you card should be either

Rakshasa's Whim 3BGU
Sorcery M
Choose target creature an opponent controls, then search target opponent's library for a creature card and put that card onto the battlefield under your control. Those two creatures fight each other. Then that player shuffles his or her library.
Flesh Merchant, Slave Merchant, Death Merchant, Soul Merchant - a Rakshasa is all of these things.

Or

Rakshasa's Whim 3BGU
Sorcery M
Choose target creature target opponent controls, then search that opponent's library for a creature card and put that card onto the battlefield under your control. Those two creatures fight each other. Then that player shuffles his or her library.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-05-21, 11:50 PM
Take It 1G
Leave It 3B

Sorcery - U
Sorcery - U

Target creature you control fights target creature you don't control.
Draw a card for each creature that died this turn.

Fuse (You may cast both sides of this card by adding the mana costs together.)

somethingrandom
2015-05-24, 03:28 PM
Incarnation of Rage 8RR
Creature - Spirit R
When Incarnation of Rage enters the battlefield it fights each creature.
10/1

Fable Wright
2015-05-25, 12:20 PM
Paladin of Vengeance 1WBR
Creature - Human Paladin
Paladin of Vengeance cannot attack or block.
Whenever a creature deals damage to you, Paladin of Vengeance fights that creature.
5/5

Warmatt
2015-05-25, 12:33 PM
Fight Club
Legendary Enchantment Land MR
Shroud
2- Target creature fights target creature. Any player may activate this ability.
"The first rule of Fight Club; Nobody talks about Fight Club."

Zaydos
2015-05-25, 12:36 PM
Fight Club 5
Shroud
2- Target creature fights target creature. Any player may activate this ability.

Lands don't have mana costs. If you want a land to cost mana to play it needs an ability that says "when this land enters the battlefield pay 5 mana or sacrifice it"

Warmatt
2015-05-25, 12:57 PM
It was more along the lines of I started it off as an enchantment, but tweaked it into a land near the end, and forgot about the mana cost.

TiaC
2015-05-25, 04:15 PM
Underground Arena 2RR
Enchantment -R
At the beginning of your upkeep, target creature you control fights target creature you don't control.

braveheart
2015-05-26, 01:09 PM
Gladiator Champion WR2
Creature - Human, Warrior - R
Whenever Gladiator Champion fights another creature, put a +1/+1 counter on it, and regenerate it
WR1T: Gladiator Champion fights target creature you don't control
"I have slain 10,000 men in the pits, and I will slay 10,000 more"
3/2

onasuma
2015-05-26, 02:40 PM
Spirit of the Mob 3RR
Creature - Avatar MR
~ has power and toughness equal to the number of creatures you control.
At the beginning of your upkeep, ~ fights target creature you dont control. If it can't, sacrifice it.
One only ignites the flame of hatred when they can keep it burning.
*/*

CantigThimble
2015-05-30, 02:27 PM
I can has judgement?

enderlord99
2015-05-30, 02:40 PM
I can has judgement?

Sure, why not. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=220139):smallwink:

Ninjaman
2015-05-31, 02:58 AM
Furious Cathar-1WG

Human Warrior-C

T: ~ fights target non-human creature.

Her heart burns with vengeance for those unfortunate victims of the night.

2/3

Seems like a nice innistrad card, but it should uncommon due to the repeated removal nature of it.

The main selling point on my card was intended to be the fact that it was an artifact that could ETB twice. I like double-tribal commons.

Wild Slayer 2G
Creature - Human Assassin U
Frenzy 3 (Whenever this creature attacks and isn't blocked it gains +3/+0 until end of turn.)
1B: Wild slayer fights target creature.
1/4
Furious anger, tempered by purest hatred into a ruthless killer.

It feels like if it fights a creature it shouldn't deal combat damage to the player.

Laws of Nature 3G
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a Beast creature enters the battlefield, put two +1+1 counters on it. Then, it fights target creature it's controller doesn't control.
"Let them fight." - Dr Serizawa

That Movie With The Soap
Legendary Land - (UnR)
T: Target creature you control and target creature you don't control deal damage to each other
If you break the rules, sacrifice ~
You know the rules.

Beast tribal isn't really a thing outside commander, that said this card would be really good in a commander beast deck. And it's possuble it would spawn a standard deck. I like how it is "mirrored"

Cursepuncher 1G
Creature - Human Warrior (R)
1G: Target enchantment becomes a 1/1 creature in addition to its other types until end of turn.
T: Cursepuncher fights target enchantment creature.
"Leave the exorcism mumbo-jumbo to the witch doctors. I just punch 'em in the face."
2/2

It's nice. It can destroy a lot of enchantments given time, but it does so slow, so it's probably fine.

Ungoliant 3BRG

Legendary Creature - Spider

Reach, protection from white

Whenever Ungoliant or another spider enters the battlefield under your control, you may have Ungoliant fight target creature you don't control.

When Ungoliant is the only creature on the battlefield, sacrifice it.

8/8

Protection from white, because Ungoliant feasted upon white, and the final ability because, the theory goes that in her eternal and ever growing hunger, she eventually devoured herself.

I didn't think I would say this about a fatty, but it might just be too strong. It can pretty certainly smash a creature when it enters the battlefield, and at that point it's a different version of Atarka, which is fine. But if your can play a single spider afterwards it becomes really really good. I think the thing that holds this down the most as that there are almost no good spider, but even then you can play the second Ungoliant and fight twice. (Realized that doesn't work, which is good news for the fairness of the card.)

Ah! Almost did a back to back :smalltongue:! Darn it, but Congrats to Ninjaman!

Rakshasa's Whim 3BGU
Sorcery M
Choose target creature target opponent controls, then search target opponent's library for a creature card and put that card onto the battlefield under your control. Those two creatures fight each other. Then that player shuffles his or her library.

Ashiok's Edict UB
Sorcery R
Put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of target creature, except it's a Nightmare in addition to its other types. That creature and the token fight each other.
Fear is the great Equalizer

I'm really unsure what to do with this card. It is a removal on creatures with more power than toughness, triggering ETB and dies. It is a better phantasmal image against creatures with more toughness than power. The second "mode" might be stronger since you can attack and then make the token post combat to get good trades.

Champion Caspar 2WRG
Legendary Creature - Human Soldier R
When Champion Caspar enters the battlefield, he fights any number of target creatures (You choose the order)
T: Return Caspar to your hand.
Normally, champions are only supposed to fight one opponent in honourable combat. Some kings just don't get the message the first time.
4/5

I feel like the tap ability has no business being on the card. Other than that I like the card, it feels like a mini Atarka.

Enraged Dragon 3BRR

Creature - Dragon - R

Deathouch, Flying

Whenever Enraged Dragon attacks, it fights another target creature.

Enraged Dragon attacks each turn if able.

5/4

Deathtouch seems out of place. It would be fine without it.

Take It 1G
Leave It 3B

Sorcery - U
Sorcery - U

Target creature you control fights target creature you don't control.
Draw a card for each creature that died this turn.

Fuse (You may cast both sides of this card by adding the mana costs together.)

It shouldn't have fuse, you Take it or Leave it. Other than that Leave it is overpriced as a sorcery.

Incarnation of Rage 8RR
Creature - Spirit R
When Incarnation of Rage enters the battlefield it fights each creature.
10/1

So basically a sweeper? Which is fair fore ten mana, actually pretty weak, but wizards have been very careful to steer around creatures that sweep, because they can be recurred easily. (Most are required to be cast from your hand to work)

Paladin of Vengeance 1WBR
Creature - Human Paladin
Paladin of Vengeance cannot attack or block.
Whenever a creature deals damage to you, Paladin of Vengeance fights that creature.
5/5

I have no idea if this is good, but my gut says it isn't that useful. It can hit creatures with evasion, and goes around hexproof and shroud too, and after that it kill a guy or two (the second killing himself). You could probably get away with the ability being may, which would make him a lot more useful. To be fair, even then he would still just be a horrible No Mercy.

Fight Club
Shroud

Lands tap for mana in the new world order. It shouldn't have shroud, that is way too strong. The last ability is worded wrong, since you can get two of your opponents creatures to fight.

Underground Arena 2RR
Enchantment -R
At the beginning of your upkeep, target creature you control fights target creature you don't control.

You could probably get away with it costing 1RR or maybe even 2R.

Gladiator Champion WR2
Creature - Human, Warrior - R
Whenever Gladiator Champion fights another creature, put a +1/+1 counter on it, and regenerate it
WR1T: Gladiator Champion fights target creature you don't control
"I have slain 10,000 men in the pits, and I will slay 10,000 more"
3/2

I am a bit unsure if this works or not, but if it does it is too strong, if it doesn't it is quite weak. Also red/white usually don't regenerate.

Also formating is wrong, colorless should be before colors.

Spirit of the Mob 3RR
Creature - Avatar MR
~ has power and toughness equal to the number of creatures you control.
At the beginning of your upkeep, ~ fights target creature you dont control. If it can't, sacrifice it.
One only ignites the flame of hatred when they can keep it burning.
*/*

2 seems like an appropriate cost for a Scion of the Wild that can fight stuff, but it should probably be just a rare. Also I would like the card better if it instead of "If it can't, sacrifice it" had "Whenever no opponent controls a creature, sacrifice Spirit of the Mob."

LaZodiac - Laws of Nature

LaZodiac
2015-05-31, 11:19 AM
Oh wow I won. Okay, next challenge shall be...

Make a Legendary creature for a creature type that does not have a legendary creature yet. Or baring that, for a creature type that has few legendary creatures.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-05-31, 04:48 PM
Arcturus the Reborn 4R

Legendary Creature - Phoenix MR

Flying

Whenever ~ or another creature enters the battlefield from a graveyard, you may put 3 +1/+1 counters on it and have it gain haste until end of turn.

5RR: Return ~ from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate this ability only during your upkeep.

3/3

onasuma
2015-06-01, 07:24 AM
She Who Devours All BB
Legendary Creature - Worm MR
1, exile a creature from a graveyard: Put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
1, exile an artifact from a graveyard: Draw a card.
1, exile a non-creature, non-artifact card from a graveyard: Regenerate ~.
She eats bodies and grows mighty. She eats magic and remains strong. She eats treasures and poops them out.
1/1

CantigThimble
2015-06-01, 06:46 PM
Harashaz, Hunter of Men GG
Legendary Creature - Cat
Hexproof, Double Strike
Whenever an opponent casts a spell Harashaz, Hunter of Men loses double strike until end of turn
3/2
"Be ready, always. She stalks these woods and if you are caught unprepared nothing on this earth can save you."
-Sheb Tracker

The mechanics are supposed to represent surprise.

There are a bunch of cat legends but they're all cat-people, no actual cats. If this doesn't count I can change it.

LaZodiac
2015-06-01, 07:08 PM
I'd say it's alright, except Shroud is bad and should feel bad.

Ionbound
2015-06-01, 08:02 PM
Tolvar, Monodronen Alpha-3GR

Creature-Legendary Werewolf-MR

Non-human Werewolves you control can't transform.

Landfall: Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control during your turn, untap all creatures you control and after this phase, there is an additional combat phase followed by an additional main phase.

After the incident at Hollowhenge, the Monodronen's bloodlust only grew as they sought further territory to defile.

4/4

mystic1110
2015-06-01, 08:38 PM
Blibp, the Metamorphic Tongue 3UG
Legendary Creature - Frog Lizard M
Flash
When Blibp enters the battlefield you may destroy target creature. It can't be regenerated. That creature's controller may put a 3/3 green blue frog Lizard creature token onto the battlefield.
Blibp has +3/+3 for each other frog and lizard on the battlefield.
3/3

Fable Wright
2015-06-01, 09:35 PM
Tolvar, Monodronen Alpha-4RU

Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, you may take an additional combat phase. This may only happen once per turn and only during your turn.

This seems over-costed and in the wrong colors, but I cannot tell without a power and toughness.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-06-02, 12:01 AM
Well, there is one existing pirate, but it's not very interesting. There are also zero legendary sirens, even though many of the non-legendary ones have pretty interesting effects. Hmm...

Savina of the Damned Isle 2UB
Legendary Creature - Siren MR
Deathtouch. While Savina of the Damned Isle is tapped, it can block as though it were untapped.
T: Target creature attacks this turn if able.
1/6

Savina Heartjacker UR
Legendary Creature - Siren Pirate MR
Flying, Haste
2UR, T: Untap target creature and gain control of it until end of turn. It gains haste until end of turn.
Whenever a creature you control that you don't own deals combat damage to a player, you may draw a card.
0/2

Savinia DePietro 2RU
Legendary Creature - Siren Pirate MR
Flying, Haste
RU, T: Untap target creature and gain control of it until end of turn. Until end of turn, it gains haste and, "Whenever this creature deals combat damage, you may draw a card. If you do, discard a card."
2/2

Savinia etc. 1UU
Leg Cree, Sire Pie Murr
Flying
1RU, T: Threaten plus, "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may draw a card."
1UB, T: Threaten plus, "When this creature dies, you may draw a card."
- Moved some of the cost from Casting to Activation, so she's still a wind drake if you can't afford to do anything else.
- In the interest of letting her run the other legendary pirate in her deck, I tried to expand her color identity a bit by adding another ability. This was a poor life choice. As such, I changed the name to distance her from that chump.
- Changed the curiosity effect to affect all creatures you control but don't own. She wants to be in a theft deck.
- Changed her to a 0/2 and raised the cost of the ability once again.
- ...yeah, she has to basically just be Overtaker in order to be balanced at all. Overtaker already exists, so this would have been a pretty boring entry.

Savinia DePietro 3U
Flying. While Savinia DePietro is tapped, it can block as though it were untapped.
1B, T: Target creature attacks this turn if able. When that creature dies this turn, draw a card.
R: Savinia gains First Strike until end of turn.
3/1

Savina DePietro 2UB
Deathtouch. While Savina is tapped, it can block as though it were untapped.
1(u/b), T: Target creature attacks this turn if able.
1/4
- Gave her ability an overhaul to more closely resemble existing Sirens.
- Blocking while tapped represents the old, "Damsel in Distress," routine. It also lets me restrict the Taunt ability to once per turn without much extra text.
- First strike makes her more like her pirate relation, but makes the card more cluttered, so switched to Deathtouch instead.
- Took out Flying. She's not a Theros siren anymore, and the extra stats make her more dangerous.
- ...wound up raising her cost a bit anyway. A 1/4 deathtouch vigilance is worth more than the sum of its stats.
- Realized how bonkers the extra-value last ability was and took out the free card draw. Since she now just lures victims to their deaths without looting them, I took away her pirate card.

Maexxna 2BGG
Legendary Creature - Spider R
Reach, Deathtouch, Poisonous 2
Other spider creatures you control have deathtouch and poisonous 1.
2G: Put a 1/3 green spider creature token with reach onto the battlefield.
2/7

- This one doesn't have much reason to be legendary; it's just a big momma spider except for the Poisonous ability, and that's not supported anymore.

Duschevna, Ethereal Emissary 1UU
Legendary Creature - Thalakos Wizard MR
Shadow (this creature can only block or be blocked by other creatures with shadow)
2U: Put a Shadow counter on target creature. That creature has shadow for as long as it has a Shadow counter on it.
2U: Target creature with Shadow gains Hexproof until end of turn.
2/1

- Hexproof is evil. Shroud would have made more sense here, but that's not supported anymore.

The Flesh Contract 3BB
Creature - Thrull
Haunt (When this creature dies, Exile it haunting target creature.)
When the creature this haunts dies, return this and that creature to the battlefield and you lose 3 life.
3/3

- This has no reason not to be a zombie or spirit, and things aren't supposed to come back from exile anyway. It could just bring back the haunted creature, but then why would it be legendary?

Jormengand
2015-06-02, 05:37 AM
Mayor Jonathan 1U
Legendary Creature - Human Citizen (http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Citizen#Token_specific_creature_types) R
Whenever you would vote (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&text=+[Will]+[of]+[the]+[Council]), you vote three times instead.
1/2

Ionbound
2015-06-02, 09:37 AM
This seems over-costed and in the wrong colors, but I cannot tell without a power and toughness.

Added power/toughness, but I'm not sure how it's the wrong colors. Red/blue is the one that grants additional combats as well as being something that keys off of instants and sorceries.

CantigThimble
2015-06-02, 10:12 AM
Added power/toughness, but I'm not sure how it's the wrong colors. Red/blue is the one that grants additional combats as well as being something that keys off of instants and sorceries.

Sure, but there are no blue werewolves and lots of green ones.

Ionbound
2015-06-02, 10:13 AM
Yeah, but it doesn't really fit green, does it? I'd love to make it GR, but I don't think his abilities fit Green, as much as they fit Tolovar's lore.

Saposhiente
2015-06-02, 07:59 PM
His abilities don't fit GR because they don't make sense for a Werewolf. You can't have it both ways.

Fable Wright
2015-06-02, 08:13 PM

The problem is that Blue was designed to be the anti-werewolf color, as it's casting spells once or twice per turn, including opponents turns. That has serious antisynergy with the werewolf strategy.

What I would instead recommend is to go R/G (as Red is really the only color that grants additional combat phases), drop the cost down to 5, and make the trigger for the extra combat phase something like landfall that doesn't require a spell being cast. Actually, landfall might work, flavored as bloodlust whenever the pack discovers new hunting grounds. As for closeness to source material... unless you're absolutely sure that the judge knows the material well and will appreciate the reference, skip it and go with more archetypal than specific flavor.

Ionbound
2015-06-02, 08:20 PM
Yeah, that sounds cool. I'm trying to figure out something that makes sense for the Monodronen.

EDIT: Changed the card, I actually really like how that feels. Thanks DM.

Fable Wright
2015-06-02, 09:09 PM
Yeah, that sounds cool. I'm trying to figure out something that makes sense for the Monodronen.

EDIT: Changed the card, I actually really like how that feels. Thanks DM.

This is strong and interesting mechanically, but I have no idea what happens when I cast Harrow (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=180408) with this guy out.

Blue Ghost
2015-06-03, 12:28 AM
This is strong and interesting mechanically, but I have no idea what happens when I cast Harrow (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=180408) with this guy out.

Or if you play a land during an opponent's turn. Probably best to be limited to once per turn, and only during your second main phase or something.

Zaydos
2015-06-03, 12:41 AM
Kyrie the Gnome King 3
Legendary Artifact Creature - Gnome R
Whenever an artifact enters the battlefield under your control you may Scry 1.
Sacrifice a gnome: Add 1 to your mana pool, use this mana only to play artifact spells or activate the abilities of artifacts you control.
1, T: Put a 1/1 colorless Gnome artifact creature token onto the battlefield under your control.
2/2

Warmatt
2015-06-03, 09:10 AM
I don't think there are any legenady fogs or walls, so lets see how this does.

The Ebon Mist 2UUBB
Legendary Creature- Fog Wall MR
Wither, Shroud, Defender, Flying, Protection from Creatures
Whenever a -1/-1 counter is placed on another creature, place a +1/+1 counter on ~
Creatures with -1/-1 counters are Exiled instead of sacrificed when they have toughness 0
"It creeps in, a dark mist, unseeable and unseeing, cloaking though who foolishly charge inside in darkness, rarely to be seen again."
1/1

Ionbound
2015-06-03, 07:44 PM

I believe the order would be (assuming it's cast during main phase 1) Main 1->Lands Sacrificed->Land 1 enters battlefield->Second combat begins->Land 2 enters battlefield->third combat begins

Or if you play a land during an opponent's turn. Probably best to be limited to once per turn, and only during your second main phase or something.

I mean, presumably you'd take another combat phase in the middle of their turn. But yeah, probably needs to be only during your turns.

Fable Wright
2015-06-03, 09:07 PM
I believe the order would be (assuming it's cast during main phase 1) Main 1->Lands Sacrificed->Land 1 enters battlefield->Second combat begins->Land 2 enters battlefield->third combat begins

In response to your removal spell on my upkeep, I will cast Harrow. Is the spell countered when phases change? After that, both enter simultaneously, meaning there are two effects on the stack forcing me to immediately change the phase. Is one of those triggers removed from the stack, or does the combat phase immediately end?

And if I cast this in the middle of my combat phase, where is the nearest judge to figure out how to track the attackers and blockers for each combat phase within a combat phase and oh god why would you do this.

Also, Tolvar doesn't untap the creatures that attack as most extra attack step effects do. Is this intentional?

It's much simpler to just make it 'untap all creatures you control and after this phase, there is an additional combat phase followed by an additional main phase.' Really. Just... do yourself a favor, and don't introduce nested combat phases into the game.

Ninjaman
2015-06-04, 06:49 AM
I was quite surpriced to find out this hadn't been done before (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&subtype=+[%22Devil%22]&type=+[%22Legendary%22])

Dinjaral - 1RB
Legendary Creature - Devil - M
Wither
Dinjaral can't be blocked by creatures with -1/-1 counters on them
1BR: Dinjaral deals 1 damage to target creature.
3/1

braveheart
2015-06-04, 04:09 PM
Slize Bladetail 3R
Legendary Creature - Viashino - R
First strike, haste
~'s power is equal to the number of Viashinos you control.
T:put a 2/1 Red Viashino token with First strike onto the battlefield under your control.
*/3

Blue Ghost
2015-06-05, 01:32 AM
Citizen Dawn 3WW
Legendary Creature - Human Citizen (R)
Citizen Dawn has indestructible as long as it is untapped.
W, T: Put two 1/1 white Citizen creature tokens onto the battlefield.
"The world belongs to the Citizens of the Sun!"
5/4

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Citizen%20Dawn_zpsoh60cunu.jpg

TiaC
2015-06-06, 05:27 AM
Nick-ti the Maddening 1BB
Legendary Creature — Imp
Flying
T:Put a rage counter on target creature. Play this ability as a sorcery.
All creatures with rage counters on them attack each turn if able. At the beginning of each end step, destroy each of those creatures that didn't attack this turn, then put a +1/+1 counter on Nick-ti the Maddening for each creature destroyed this way.
2/1

LaZodiac
2015-06-08, 04:13 PM
Oops sorry this is a day late, got distracted by babysitting stuff I had to do.

Arcturus the Reborn 4R

Legendary Creature - Phoenix MR

Flying

Whenever ~ or another creature enters the battlefield from a graveyard, you may put 3 +1/+1 counters on it and have it gain haste until end of turn.

5RR: Return ~ from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate this ability only during your upkeep.

3/3

Ooh, this one is interesting. I like how it's secretly a 6/6 if you're willing to throw it the mana you need. It also feels very red to pay all that cost before you even draw. I like how it helps out other reviving things, and I could see phoenixes (and other such cards) really liking it. Phoenix is also a really good choice for a legendary since they're basically dragons, so they should of gotten a legendary by now. My only major problem is that I feel, based on how it's written, not every Phoenix card benefits from it. Like Ashcloud Phoenix, I don't know if it actually benefits or not. This is really just a rules missunderstanding from me, though and won't effect your ranking.

She Who Devours All BB
Legendary Creature - Worm MR
1, exile a creature from a graveyard: Put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
1, exile an artifact from a graveyard: Draw a card.
1, exile a non-creature, non-artifact card from a graveyard: Regenerate ~.
She eats bodies and grows mighty. She eats magic and remains strong. She eats treasures and poops them out.
1/1

It's...certainly interesting. I like how it has an action for basically everything that could be in the grave. It seems a little silly though, and not a fan of the flavor text. That said I like it. She eats everything.

Harashaz, Hunter of Men GG
Legendary Creature - Cat
Hexproof, Double Strike
Whenever an opponent casts a spell Harashaz, Hunter of Men loses double strike until end of turn
3/2
"Be ready, always. She stalks these woods and if you are caught unprepared nothing on this earth can save you."
-Sheb Tracker

The mechanics are supposed to represent surprise.

There are a bunch of cat legends but they're all cat-people, no actual cats. If this doesn't count I can change it.

This is cool. It's a straight up cat, which is honestly something I think Magic is missing due to having all it's cat men. I'm not sure how it loses double strike when a spell is cast, but it's a good balancing tool. Maybe it'd be more flavorful if it lost Double Strike when the CONTROLLER cast a spell, since they're "giving away it's position"? Or maybe it loses hexproof instead, so you can't safely Giant Growth this.

Tolvar, Monodronen Alpha-3GR

Landfall: Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control during your turn, untap all creatures you control and after this phase, there is an additional combat phase followed by an additional main phase.

After the incident at Hollowhenge, the Monodronen's bloodlust only grew as they sought further territory to defile.

4/4

I have nooo idea what you're referencing with this, but it does seem quite good. I don't really "get" the landfall ability at all and it seems kinda clunky? I could see it leading to something ridiculous with certain cards that pop lands into play, or let you play more lands (like say explore). Overall I kind of like Immerwolf better for my "werewolf lord" options.

Blibp, the Metamorphic Tongue 3UG
Legendary Creature - Frog Lizard M
Flash
When Blibp enters the battlefield you may destroy target creature. It can't be regenerated. That creature's controller may put a 3/3 green blue frog Lizard creature token onto the battlefield.
Blibp has +3/+3 for each other frog and lizard on the battlefield.
3/3

This is adorable. He does the simic version of pongify when he enters the battlefield, and the idea is that he's just some horrible mutant that spreads his froglizard-ness to others. He also gets REALLY huge when other froglizards are out, so that's an interesting strategy I can see forming. I like this guy a lot. Only problem is the name is (obviously intended to be) hard to pronounce, and there aren't really many frogs or lizards to take advantage of things.

Well, there is one existing pirate, but it's not very interesting. There are also zero legendary sirens, even though many of the non-legendary ones have pretty interesting effects. Hmm...

Savina of the Damned Isle 2UB
Deathtouch. While Savina of the Damned Isle is tapped, it can block as though it were untapped.
T: Target creature attacks this turn if able.
1/6

Interesting. I like how it's abilities all mesh together well. I think it's tap ability could be a paid ability instead and you could just drop the fake vigilance though and it'd feel a lot more mythic and a lot less clunky. Nice try on making a cool Siren though! Weird that it's not an enchantment creature but I guess it's not from Theros.

Mayor Jonathan 1U
Legendary Creature - Human Citizen (http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Citizen#Token_specific_creature_types) R
Whenever you would vote (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&text=+[Will]+[of]+[the]+[Council]), you vote three times instead.
1/2

Okay, this is kind of cute. Not sure why he's blue though, he feels more white to me (like Brago's vote influencing stuff). I do like that he's a citizen, I think that's cute.

Kyrie the Gnome King 3
Legendary Artifact Creature - Gnome R
Whenever an artifact enters the battlefield under your control you may Scry 1.
Sacrifice a gnome: Add 1 to your mana pool, use this mana only to play artifact spells or activate the abilities of artifacts you control.
1, T: Put a 1/1 colorless Gnome artifact creature token onto the battlefield under your control.
2/2

Okay, gnomes in magic are really weird, but I like it. Basically this guy is a factory of future sight potions and you just bust open gnomes all day to get magic to get a sniff of it. Really cute, and could work well in some kind of twisted sacrifice heavy deck. I'm not the biggest fan of it, just because I'm not a really huge fan of sacrificing creatures, but it fits the creature type very well, and works as a good legendary lord.

I don't think there are any legenady fogs or walls, so lets see how this does.

The Ebon Mist 2UUBB
Legendary Creature- Fog Wall MR
Wither, Shroud, Defender, Flying, Protection from Creatures
Whenever a -1/-1 counter is placed on another creature, place a +1/+1 counter on ~
Creatures with -1/-1 counters are Exiled instead of sacrificed when they have toughness 0
"It creeps in, a dark mist, unseeable and unseeing, cloaking though who foolishly charge inside in darkness, rarely to be seen again."
1/1

Defender invalidates the wither. Protection from Creatures doesn't really DO anything when it also had Defender. Shroud is bad and should feel bad. I feel bad about not liking this card because you've got a lot of really good ideas going for it! Getting stronger as things get weaker is cool, and although the way you've got it written doesn't allow it to really work, I like the idea of "yeah no this card makes things that die from Withering abilities just vanish into dust" a LOT. So overall, this is something that...could be good but isn't. Also waaay to expensive.

I was quite surpriced to find out this hadn't been done before (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&subtype=+[%22Devil%22]&type=+[%22Legendary%22])

Dinjaral - 1RB
Legendary Creature - Devil - M
Wither
Dinjaral can't be blocked by creatures with -1/-1 counters on them
1BR: Dinjaral deals 1 damage to target creature.
3/1

This is nice and simple. I kind of wish he also pinged a dude when he came into play just to like, fit that synergy of "pay my cost and I Wither a dude". I'm not a big fan of his name because it feels more like a name a Djinn might have, but that's just nitpicking. Really solid card, and I like it. He's just a rude as hell devil.

Slize Bladetail 3R
Legendary Creature - Viashino - R
First strike, haste
~'s power is equal to the number of Viashinos you control.
T:put a 2/1 Red Viashino token with First strike onto the battlefield under your control.
*/3

Well this is...interesting. A legendary Viashino would be really cool, and I like the tribal synergy with his creature type. But...Viashino have basically never done tokens, and the way his power ability works would fit more with White then Red. Good idea, but somewhat faltering execution.

Citizen Dawn 3WW
Legendary Creature - Human Citizen (R)
Citizen Dawn has indestructible as long as it is untapped.
W, T: Put two 1/1 white Citizen creature tokens onto the battlefield.
"The world belongs to the Citizens of the Sun!"
5/4

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Citizen%20Dawn_zpsoh60cunu.jpg

Now, knowing the flavor of what you're going for, I can say this is a VERY cute way of using creature types. Very clever. She's also, quite clearly, exceedingly powerful. The only problem I have with her is that she doesn't give any bonuses TO citizens. I get that like, where you're coming from flavor wise she just brings the Citizens out and they help each other and her, but I think even if she gave like, a flat +1+1 to citizens she might synergize a little more.

Nick-ti the Maddening 1BB
Legendary Creature — Imp
Flying
T:Put a rage counter on target creature. Play this ability as a sorcery.
All creatures with rage counters on them attack each turn if able. At the beginning of each end step, destroy each of those creatures that didn't attack this turn, then put a +1/+1 counter on Nick-ti the Maddening for each creature destroyed this way.
2/1

This is a really cool concept, but executed poorly. The way you've written it, they HAVE to attack if able. So the trigger of destroying them will never hit on things except Defenders, which I guess this is a good way of getting rid of defenders, but I can tell that's not what you're going for since he gets such a small bonus for it. Also, I feel like this should be red, seeing as how he roils up their emotions like this.

The runner ups: Zaydos with Kyrie the Gnome King, Ninjaman for Dinjaral.

And our Winner is: Diego Havoc with Arcturus the Reborn!

Beacon of Chaos
2015-06-08, 05:29 PM
Thank you! I'm really glad you liked it, I was quite proud of it. For the record, Ashcloud Phoenix will come into play as a face down creature with 3 counters on it (so, 5/5).

For our next challenge: Design a non-creature card themed around food, drink, or cooking.

LaZodiac
2015-06-08, 05:47 PM
Ayagor, the Dragon's Bowl
Land (R)
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
{T} Add R or G to your mana pool
Formidable - RG, T, sacrifice a creature: Put two +1/+1 counters on target creature. Activate this ability only if you control creatures with total power 8 or more.
Many sit at Atarka's table. Few get to eat.

TiaC
2015-06-08, 06:18 PM
This is a really cool concept, but executed poorly. The way you've written it, they HAVE to attack if able. So the trigger of destroying them will never hit on things except Defenders, which I guess this is a good way of getting rid of defenders, but I can tell that's not what you're going for since he gets such a small bonus for it. Also, I feel like this should be red, seeing as how he roils up their emotions like this.
That wording is intentional on my part. It's an old imp theme. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&subtype=+[%22Imp%22]&text=+[attack]+[if]+[able]) The idea is that you'll find some way of tapping their creatures to stop them attacking. However, if I were to write the card again, I would change it to "All creatures with rage counters on them attack each turn if able. At the beginning of each end step, destroy each of those creatures that didn't attack this turn. Whenever a creature with a rage counter on it dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Nick-ti the Maddening."

Cannibal Stewpot 2
Artifact -U
Whenever a creature dies, you may put a +1/+1 counter on target creature that shares a creature type with it.
"Grag makes a great stew." "I know, I'll sure miss him."

Jormengand
2015-06-08, 06:34 PM
Curse of Intoxication 4RRR
Enchantment - Aura Curse R
Enchant Player.
Whenever enchanted opponent would choose a target, flip a coin. If you win the flip, choose a target randomly instead. (Otherwise the target is chosen normally).

braveheart
2015-06-10, 01:15 PM
Still of the King
Land - C
T: (1)
(1)T: tap target creature
None would pass on the Kings finest ale, and many a time this fact has turned the tide of battle.

Ionbound
2015-06-10, 07:24 PM
Cannibal's Stewpot-4

Artifact-U

B: Sacrifice a creature; You gain life equal to the sacrificed creature's toughness.

Saposhiente
2015-06-10, 09:21 PM
Cannibal's Stewpot-4

Artifact-R

T, 1B: Sacrifice a creature; You gain health equal to the sacrificed creature's toughness.

unplayable
life doesn't matter

Fable Wright
2015-06-10, 09:49 PM
unplayable
life doesn't matter

Actually, no. It's unplayable because 'health' isn't a defined game attribute. Otherwise, this card has nothing that prevents its play.

Bear in mind that the power of cards is not necessarily a concern in this contest, that Disciple of Griselbrand was decent in limited (though it and this are most certainly not rare-worthy cards), and that cards like Voracious Wurm exist that do turn lifegain into a quantifiable advantage.

Also, life points matter greatly to burn decks, to many aggro decks running burn for the reach, for decks that run cards like Voracious Wurm, Path of Bravery, or Serra Ascendant, and so on. They definitely are a thing that is relevant in the game.

That said, Bubbling Cauldron is much better in nearly all respects, so some redesigning may be in order.