PDA

View Full Version : MtG - You Make the Card III: Wrath of the Khans

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Zaydos
2015-06-10, 10:07 PM
Mead Hall
Land - U
T: Add 1 to your mana pool.
G, T: Target creature must attack this turn if able.
R, T: Target creature cannot block this turn.

CantigThimble
2015-06-10, 10:29 PM
Habanero Sauce R
Sorcery - U
Target creature gains haste until end of turn. If it’s blue or white deal 2 damage to it. If it’s green or red it gains +2/+0 until end of turn.
AAAAAAAAAUUUUGGGHHHH!
-Gideon Jura, Loser of the 214th Wojek Iron Chef Competition

mystic1110
2015-06-10, 10:52 PM
Wine 3U
Instant U
Target creature gets -3/-0 until end of turn. That creature doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
//
Dine 1G
Instant U
Target creature gets +0/+3 until end of turn. That creature's controller gains 3 life.
//
Fuseback 4UG (You may cast both halves of this card from your graveyard. Then exile it.)

bryn0528
2015-06-11, 10:40 PM
Macar's Gilded Kylix (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kylix_(drinking_cup)) {B}{B}
Enchantment Artifact (R)
Constellation—Whenever Macar's Gilded Kylix or another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, each opponent draws a card.
Artifacts you control are Enchantments in addition to their other types.
Fools drink from King Macar's cups, thinking the wine will bring them riches.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-06-16, 06:15 AM
Ayagor, the Dragon's Bowl
Land (R)
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
{T} Add R or G to your mana pool
Formidable - RG, T, sacrifice a creature: Put two +1/+1 counters on target creature. Activate this ability only if you control creatures with total power 8 or more.
Many sit at Atarka's table. Few get to eat.
I've never played with formidable, but this seems like a decent card for token decks. Get 8 or more 1/1s out, then start using them as fodder for better creatures, never worry about losing the total 8 power. It's certainly something I'd consider in my saproling deck. :smallsmile:

Cannibal Stewpot 2
Artifact -U
Whenever a creature dies, you may put a +1/+1 counter on target creature that shares a creature type with it.
"Grag makes a great stew." "I know, I'll sure miss him."
Heh, I like this. Perfect for a goblin deck, though any tribal deck can make use of it. Flavour text made me chuckle. :smallbiggrin: Strangely, I think I'd quite like this in my golem deck, and golems aren't known for their taste. :smallwink:

Curse of Intoxication 4RRR
Enchantment - Aura Curse R
Enchant Player.
Whenever enchanted opponent would choose a target, flip a coin. If you win the flip, choose a target randomly instead. (Otherwise the target is chosen normally).
I really want to like this. The flavour of cursing your opponent with drunkeness makes me smile, and coin flips certainly work in that theme, but I hate randomly choosing targets. It's just a pain to do, especially in multiplayer.

Still of the King
Land - C
T: (1)
(1)T: tap target creature
None would pass on the Kings finest ale, and many a time this fact has turned the tide of battle.
It's okay, just not all that interesting. Sorry.

Cannibal's Stewpot-4

Artifact-U

B: Sacrifice a creature; You gain life equal to the sacrificed creature's toughness.
Hmm. Probably quite good in a reanimator deck, actually. Or any deck that uses creatures that vanish. Works well in the theme.

Mead Hall
Land - U
T: Add 1 to your mana pool.
G, T: Target creature must attack this turn if able.
R, T: Target creature cannot block this turn.
Heh, drunken Viking brawling, eh? Nice. Certainly seems useful in most green or red decks. My problem is the green ability. "Attacks this turn if able" is a red ability or sometimes blue. Green uses "blocks this turn if able" instead.

Habanero Sauce R
Sorcery - U
Target creature gains haste until end of turn. If it’s blue or white deal 2 damage to it. If it’s green or red it gains +2/+0 until end of turn.
AAAAAAAAAUUUUGGGHHHH!
-Gideon Jura, Loser of the 214th Wojek Iron Chef Competition
Made me laugh, good work. :smallbiggrin: Perfect thematically, too. Mechanically, it's okay. Not much else to add.

Wine 3U
Instant U
Target creature gets -3/-0 until end of turn. That creature doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
//
Dine 1G
Instant U
Target creature gets +0/+3 until end of turn. That creature's controller gains 3 life.
//
Fuseback 4UG (You may cast both halves of this card from your graveyard. Then exile it.)
Now this is an interesting one. Two halves that are almost mirrors of each other, that work well together. Fuseback is an interesting mix of mechanics, though you could probably get away with costing it at 3UG, IMO. Wine and Dine is a great split card name too.

Macar's Gilded Kylix (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kylix_(drinking_cup)) {B}{B}
Enchantment Artifact (R)
Constellation—Whenever Macar's Gilded Kylix or another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, each opponent draws a card.
Artifacts you control are Enchantments in addition to their other types.
Fools drink from King Macar's cups, thinking the wine will bring them riches.
O...kay? I'm not sure why anyone would play this card. I think I'm missing some context here. It lets you play artifacts in an enchantment deck. Yay? And then your opponents get to draw cards? I guess if you're playing a mill deck that's useful, but then why is this black instead of blue?

Sorry, maybe I've just missed something obvious, but what is this card meant to do?

And the winner is...
mystic1110 with Wine//Dine!

mystic1110
2015-06-16, 11:51 AM
Oh wow! Full disclosure - Fuseback was not created by me. . . or any other human . . . it was thought up by a recurrent neural network! Behold the end of times! (http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/612057-generating-magic-cards-using-deep-recurrent-neural?page=18). The card itself was mine, but the brilliant mechanic was brought to you by the same program that gave us: Tromple and Mointainspalk.

On that theme - make a card inspired by the concept of Artificial Intelligence

Zaydos
2015-06-16, 12:04 PM
Self-Improving Nanite Generator 5
Artifact MR
T: Put a 1/1 colorless Robot artifact creature token with "T, Sacrifice ~: Put a copy of this token onto the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it where X is the highest power among Robot creatures you control" onto the battlefield.
"We did not dream they would advance so quickly, had we known we mig- oh god they've breached the..." Last Transmission from the Mana Refinement Plant on Epsilon Zeta 7

Beacon of Chaos
2015-06-16, 03:24 PM
Oh wow! Full disclosure - Fuseback was not created by me. . . or any other human . . . it was thought up by a recurrent neural network! Behold the end of times! (http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/612057-generating-magic-cards-using-deep-recurrent-neural?page=18). The card itself was mine, but the brilliant mechanic was brought to you by the same program that gave us: Tromple and Mointainspalk.
That's amazing and hilarious :smallbiggrin:

bryn0528
2015-06-16, 11:08 PM
O...kay? I'm not sure why anyone would play this card. I think I'm missing some context here. It lets you play artifacts in an enchantment deck. Yay? And then your opponents get to draw cards? I guess if you're playing a mill deck that's useful, but then why is this black instead of blue?

Sorry, maybe I've just missed something obvious, but what is this card meant to do?

I probably should have linked King Macar, the Gold-Cursed (http://magiccards.info/jou/en/74.html), which is the obvious parent inspiration. It's supposed to synergize with other cards in the Theros blocks, namely Fate Unraveler (http://magiccards.info/bng/en/68.html) and similar (I am sure there are other Black-theme milling strategies out there). It shares a thematic concept with Master of the Feast (http://magiccards.info/jou/en/75.html), which is also part of the same set as King Macar.

The idea is you trick out Macar so that he's tapping/untapping and you're removing enemy creatures and getting artifact tokens which are now enchantment artifact tokens and thus activate the Kylix itself... and anything else with Constellation (which if you're playing Theros, is very likely). I think the problem here is that I tried to be too referential in the context of a game that has tons of content.... Apologies :smalleek:

Card to follow.

LaZodiac
2015-06-16, 11:32 PM
Memnarch's Neural Hub 7
Artifact (R)
All other non creature Artifacts you control are creatures with power and toughness equal to their cmc in addition to their other types. If an artifact you control is an equipment, change its text by replacing all instances of 'equipped creature' with 'this creature' and it loses equip.
Of Men and Myr - Memnarch's Memoir

Yo so anyone know how to actually write the effect I'm going for? Sorry to ask...

r2d2go
2015-06-17, 01:50 AM
Memnarch's Neural Hub 7
Artifact (R)
All other Artifacts you control are creatures with power and toughness equal to their cmc in addition to their other types. If an artifact you control has equip, attach it to itself. It then loses equip.

Yo so anyone know how to actually write the effect I'm going for? Sorry to ask...

Uhhhh...

"Each equipment is considered equipped with itself"?

Or "Effects of artifacts that affect "equipped creature" affect the artifact with said effect" :smalltongue:

Unrelated: I'll probably make my own card at some point.

mystic1110
2015-06-17, 08:12 AM
I probably should have linked King Macar, the Gold-Cursed (http://magiccards.info/jou/en/74.html), which is the obvious parent inspiration. It's supposed to synergize with other cards in the Theros blocks, namely Fate Unraveler (http://magiccards.info/bng/en/68.html) and similar (I am sure there are other Black-theme milling strategies out there). It shares a thematic concept with Master of the Feast (http://magiccards.info/jou/en/75.html), which is also part of the same set as King Macar.

The idea is you trick out Macar so that he's tapping/untapping and you're removing enemy creatures and getting artifact tokens which are now enchantment artifact tokens and thus activate the Kylix itself... and anything else with Constellation (which if you're playing Theros, is very likely). I think the problem here is that I tried to be too referential in the context of a game that has tons of content.... Apologies :smalleek:

Card to follow.

I think the problem is - that your card was so very specific in that it could only really combo with one card (which was a rare legend) - and it was largely useless on its own. Look at other combo cards, they mostly have some use outside their respective combos.

Tom the Mime
2015-06-17, 08:39 AM
Does a card with keywords from the neural network count as inspired by the concept of AI? Thinking of a instant granting tromple and rampage-like effect.

mystic1110
2015-06-17, 08:50 AM
Does a card with keywords from the neural network count as inspired by the concept of AI? Thinking of a instant granting tromple and rampage-like effect.

Yep - I'll allow any card inspired by something from the Neural Network (two words which I lately love writing next to each other)

LaZodiac
2015-06-17, 09:47 AM
Uhhhh...

"Each equipment is considered equipped with itself"?

Or "Effects of artifacts that affect "equipped creature" affect the artifact with said effect" :smalltongue:

Unrelated: I'll probably make my own card at some point.

Changed it around. Still kind of looking for advice on how to do this properly, because it's an interesting idea I think I'm just not sure how to write it out mechanically 100%.

Ionbound
2015-06-17, 06:16 PM
Alteration Nanite Swarm-3

Artifact Creature-R

T, 4: Target creature becomes an artifact in addition to it's other types, and becomes Colorless.

*Bzzrt* Humanity is weak *Bzzrt* But it will be improved *Bzzrt*

Fable Wright
2015-06-17, 07:19 PM
Evolving Sentience U
Enchantment - U
Tap three untapped artifacts you control: Put a Charge counter on ~, then put X +1/+1 counters on target artifact you control, where X is the number of Charge counters on ~. If that artifact isn't a creature, it becomes a 0/0 creature in addition to its other types.

Tom the Mime
2015-06-18, 12:21 AM
Enraged elephant totem - 1RG
Instant U
Target creature gains +2/+2 for each creature blocking it and tromple (Whenever this creature assigns enough damage to destroy all creatures blocking it, it deals its remaining damage to the attacking player) until end of turn.

Use it to boost one of your creatures (bit inefficient at that though) or feed an attacker 1/1s to do extra damage to them.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-06-18, 05:13 AM
The Grey Goo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_goo) 8

Legendary Artifact - MR

Indestructable

At the beginning of each player's upkeep, put a nanobot counter on The Grey Goo. Then, if the number of nanobot counters on The Grey Goo is greater than the number of permanents that player controls, he or she loses the game.

Ninjaman
2015-06-18, 05:51 AM
@^ Diego Havoc
I think the correct wording would be "number of nanobot counters on The Grey Goo is greater than the number of permanents"

Beacon of Chaos
2015-06-18, 06:40 AM
Yes, you are correct. I've updated it.

Edit:

Changed it around. Still kind of looking for advice on how to do this properly, because it's an interesting idea I think I'm just not sure how to write it out mechanically 100%.
How about "If an artifact you control is an equipment, change its text by replacing all instances of 'equipped creature' with 'this creature'."?

LaZodiac
2015-06-18, 11:33 AM
Yes, you are correct. I've updated it.

Edit:

How about "If an artifact you control is an equipment, change its text by replacing all instances of 'equipped creature' with 'this creature'."?

Yeah, that's a good idea. Thanks!

braveheart
2015-06-18, 12:06 PM
The Singularity (6)
Sorcery - MR
As an additional cost to cast The Singularity, tap 13 Artifacts or Lands you control
If this spell was not cast from your hand, during your main phase, by its owner, it cannot resolve.
You win the game
You may only have 1 copy of Singularity in your deck.
At last, a machine that is more intelligent than even the wisest of wizards

(I tried to use every precaution to keep the spell from being cheated out without paying for it properly if you can think of anything I missed please let me know)

mystic1110
2015-06-18, 12:54 PM
The Singularity (20)
Sorcery - MR
If this spell was not cast from your hand, during your main phase, by its controller, counter it.
Affinity for Artifacts(this spell costs (1) less to cast per artifact you control)
You win the game

(I tried to use every precaution to keep the spell from being cheated out without paying for it properly if you can think of anything I missed please let me know)

I wonder how that clause works with Boseiju, Who Shelters All, Determined of (Bound/Determined), or Overmaster.

Can you for cast - Mosswort Bridge, exile The Singularity, then cast Phyrexian Dreadnaught, activate the bridge, then cast overmaster then cast the Singularity for free?

. . . .

on another note. . . 20 CMC mana cost makes this a great combo with Erratic Explosion

braveheart
2015-06-18, 01:30 PM
I wonder how that clause works with Boseiju, Who Shelters All, Determined of (Bound/Determined), or Overmaster.

Can you for cast - Mosswort Bridge, exile The Singularity, then cast Phyrexian Dreadnaught, activate the bridge, then cast overmaster then cast the Singularity for free?

. . . .

on another note. . . 20 CMC mana cost makes this a great combo with Erratic Explosion

It might, let me try a different wording

Zaydos
2015-06-18, 01:37 PM
It might, let me try a different wording

Could make it an enchantment which just says "at the beginning of your upkeep if you have n artifacts you win the game", more in keeping with how WotC typically does alt win conditions (most have to be down for at least 1 turn for example)

braveheart
2015-06-18, 01:56 PM
Could make it an enchantment which just says "at the beginning of your upkeep if you have n artifacts you win the game", more in keeping with how WotC typically does alt win conditions (most have to be down for at least 1 turn for example)

I thought about that, and if I did make it wait a turn then it would be an artifact and cost 4 or 5 mana less, but I wanted it to be something very different, and not be able to be cheated out, basically the only way it should be cas table is with a large number of artifacts, or by generating massive to infinite amounts of mana

Jormengand
2015-06-18, 02:10 PM
Machine Uprising R
Sorcery - R
Each artifact deals 1 damage to its controller.
Give them intelligence and they will want the world.

Ninjaman
2015-06-18, 07:12 PM
Phyrexian Nanobot - 4
Artifact Creature - M
(B/ph),T: Put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of Phyrexian Nanobot.
Some planes are invaded with massive armies, others with a single pest.
1/1

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-06-18, 11:29 PM
Goblin Calculator 3
Artifact - U
T: The next time the source of your choice would deal damage this turn, it deals that much damage plus one instead.
1, T, discard a card: Draw a card.
"When the lieutenant said he was finally bringing in the bandit ringleader we'd been after, I called for backup, not knowing what to expect. Imagine my embarrassment when he came back carrying that rusty abacus." - Guard Captain Russo, testimony in The People vs. Rusty Abacus

When it comes to goblins, it seems like all of their intelligence is artificial.

CantigThimble
2015-06-19, 03:46 PM
Cortana 1WU
Legendary Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
Enchanted Creature gets +1/+1 if it has first strike. The same is true of Vigilance, Menace, Prowess, Flying, Trample, Hexproof, Reach, Haste, Lifelink and Deathtouch.
Whenever enchanted creature attacks, draw a card.
"Enemy forces on our six chief!"
-Cortana

bryn0528
2015-06-19, 04:11 PM
Artificer's Opus {4}{U}
Enchantment (Rare)
{3}; Exile target artifact. Its controller puts a 2/2 blue homunculus creature token onto the battlefield. It has "When this creature leaves the battlefield, return the exiled artifact to the battlefield under your control."
Artificial life forged from artifice.

Do the rules "remember" which artifact was exiled for each creature token it made, in the same way that Gutter Grime (http://magiccards.info/isd/en/186.html) tokens "remember" (second ruling) which card created it? It could always attach the artifact to the token as a better mnemonic, but I'm unsure how to write the syntax for that. Also, do I need "under its controller's control"? It seems awkward, but also like it needs that clause....

LaZodiac
2015-06-19, 04:21 PM
Artificer's Opus {4}{U}
Enchantment (Rare)
{3}; Exile target artifact. Its controller puts a 2/2 blue homunculus creature token onto the battlefield. It has "When this creature leaves the battlefield, return the exiled artifact to the battlefield under its controller's control."

Do the rules "remember" which artifact was exiled for each creature token it made, in the same way that Gutter Grime (http://magiccards.info/isd/en/186.html) tokens "remember" (second ruling) which card created it? It could always attach the artifact to the token as a better mnemonic, but I'm unsure how to write the syntax for that. Also, do I need "under its controller's control"? It seems awkward, but also like it needs that clause....

If you want to have it so that, if you stole an artifact with it, you get to keep it, write "under your control" instead of controller's control, since your=controller.

As for the rest, I'd say maybe use Jeleva as a style guide, since she exiles things? I don't know for sure.

bryn0528
2015-06-19, 05:17 PM
If you want to have it so that, if you stole an artifact with it, you get to keep it, write "under your control" instead of controller's control, since your=controller.

I think I got confused about how control works, but you're absolutely right. Thanks!

TiaC
2015-06-19, 05:18 PM
Spell Sentience UU
Instant -R
Counter target spell. That spell's controller may search their library for a spell with the same mana cost but a different name and play it without paying its mana cost.
"Wait, that wasn't what I meant to do..."

Edit: Thanks, CantigThimble

CantigThimble
2015-06-19, 06:02 PM
Spell Sentience might be better if it prevented them from casting a spell with the same name.

Blue Ghost
2015-06-21, 10:39 PM
Greedy Algorithm 4B
Sorcery (R)
Destroy target creature with the highest power among creatures on the battlefield.
Return Greedy Algorithm to its owner's hand as it resolves.

mystic1110
2015-06-24, 10:53 AM
Reviews will be up tomorrow :smallsmile:

CantigThimble
2015-06-26, 12:37 AM
Sooooo.....

Mystic Muse
2015-06-26, 07:11 AM
The Black Hound 3WBR

Legendary Artifact Creature- Berserker construct - MT

Vigilance, lifelink

Whenever a creature dealt damage by the Black Hound this turn dies, exile it instead.

The black hound cannot attack unless defending player controls a creature.

6/6

"I only find purpose, life, in battle."

((Kind of thrown together and last minute, sorry. I know intimidate is no longer a thing, but I think it fits the character.))

http://phantasystar.wikia.com/wiki/Kireek

Here is the character it's based on.

mystic1110
2015-06-26, 09:10 AM
Self-Improving Nanite Generator 5
Artifact MR
T: Put a 1/1 colorless Robot artifact creature token with "T, Sacrifice ~: Put a copy of this token onto the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it where X is the highest power among Robot creatures you control" onto the battlefield.
"We did not dream they would advance so quickly, had we known we mig- oh god they've breached the..." Last Transmission from the Mana Refinement Plant on Epsilon Zeta 7
I think doing the math, this is very slow. . .

put a 1/1 into play - can't attack
put a 1/1 into play - sac the first to make it a 2/2 - can't attack
put a 1/1 into play - can't sac the 2/2 since it wont increase the 1/1's power to above a 2/2 - attack with the 2/2?

and so on. . .

So essentially this is just a token generator for 5 which I think is over costed by 1. It doesn't feel very mythic, but I really enjoy the complexity of it.

Memnarch's Neural Hub 7
Artifact (R)
All other non creature Artifacts you control are creatures with power and toughness equal to their cmc in addition to their other types. If an artifact you control is an equipment, change its text by replacing all instances of 'equipped creature' with 'this creature' and it loses equip.

March of the machines - without the need for blue and a cool equipment clause? I'm game. . . I love effects that make every weapon a living weapon :smallbiggrin:

[QUOTE=firedaemon33;19415078]Alteration Nanite Swarm-3

Artifact Creature-R

T, 4: Target creature becomes an artifact in addition to it's other types, and becomes Colorless.

*Bzzrt* Humanity is weak *Bzzrt* But it will be improved *Bzzrt*
Missing P/T and compare to liquid metal coating - the ability is more restricted on your card and has a REALLY high activation cost.

Evolving Sentience U
Enchantment - U
Tap three untapped artifacts you control: Put a Charge counter on ~, then put X +1/+1 counters on target artifact you control, where X is the number of Charge counters on ~. If that artifact isn't a creature, it becomes a 0/0 creature in addition to its other types.To many memory issues for uncommon to make the artifact a 0/0 creature for all time? Or was it only for 1 turn? Or is it for as long as Evolving Sentience remains in play? Either way it is really cool - but I feel this should be rare, because it's sort of atrocious in limited (tapping 3 artifacts gives you a 1/1, and makes one of your artifacts vulnerable to removal. . . sure it could grow each turn, but that requires 4 artifacts - and this card! 5 cards total for a not impressive reward.

Enraged elephant totem - 1RG
Instant U
Target creature gains +2/+2 for each creature blocking it and tromple (Whenever this creature assigns enough damage to destroy all creatures blocking it, it deals its remaining damage to the attacking player) until end of turn.

Use it to boost one of your creatures (bit inefficient at that though) or feed an attacker 1/1s to do extra damage to them.Tromple is a drawback. . . so you could probably get away with making this a hybrid one mana spell. . . even using it offensively is hard, since essentially it reads "If target opponent attacks with a X/X creature, sacrifice all creatures with a toughness of X+2 or less. Those creatures deal damage to that opponent equal to that creatures power plus two minus that creatures toughness." Which while complex sounding. . . isn't all that good.

The Grey Goo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_goo) 8

Legendary Artifact - MR

Indestructable

At the beginning of each player's upkeep, put a nanobot counter on The Grey Goo. Then, if the number of nanobot counters on The Grey Goo is greater than the number of permanents that player controls, he or she loses the game.First you need to state that "that player puts a nanobot counter on the Goo." Other than that its a cool win effect, mathematically though it won't guarantee a win for at least nine upkeeps, barring an armogeddon. As such it feels very slow for an 8 mana card.

The Singularity (6)
Sorcery - MR
As an additional cost to cast The Singularity, tap 13 Artifacts or Lands you control
If this spell was not cast from your hand, during your main phase, by its owner, it cannot resolve.
You win the game
You may only have 1 copy of Singularity in your deck.

(I tried to use every precaution to keep the spell from being cheated out without paying for it properly if you can think of anything I missed please let me know)The problem with this type of card is that it's boring. It's literately a "I win card." Even Emrakul is fun to at least figure out how to get into play. . . this just has too many hoops.

Phyrexian Nanobot - 4
Artifact Creature - M
(B/ph),T: Put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of Phyrexian Nanobot.
Some planes are invaded with massive armies, others with a single pest.
1/1Compare to Myr Propagator. This costs 1 more, and it's activation ability is 2 less. If that was it, I would say it was balanced, but the ability to activate for free, makes this so much better. This should also probably be a rare.

Goblin Calculator 3
Artifact - U
T: The next time the source of your choice would deal damage this turn, it deals that much damage plus one instead.
1, T, discard a card: Draw a card.
"When the lieutenant said he was finally bringing in the bandit ringleader we'd been after, I called for backup, not knowing what to expect. Imagine my embarrassment when he came back carrying that rusty abacus." - Guard Captain Russo, testimony in The People vs. Rusty AbacusWhy the two different abilities - for an uncommon I think just one of those abilities (especially the first one) would be interesting enough?

Cortana 1WU
Enchant Creature
Enchanted Creature gets +1/+1 if it has first strike. The same is true of Vigilance, Menace, Prowess, Flying, Trample, Hexproof, Reach, Haste, Lifelink and Deathtouch.
-CortanaThat is bloody cool! It should probably also trigger for doublestrike which is also an evergreen. Glad you included the new evergreens.

Artificer's Opus {4}{U}
Enchantment (Rare)
{3}; Exile target artifact. Its controller puts a 2/2 blue homunculus creature token onto the battlefield. It has "When this creature leaves the battlefield, return the exiled artifact to the battlefield under your control."

Wow! You really improved as a mtg card designer, this is great! I am not sure how to tackle the memory issues, but i know what you're going for, and I can't think of a better solution

That said in terms of power - i think this is a bit weak - it's either very inefficient artifact hate, or it it is an inefficient win con for your own artifact deck (unless there is a combo I am missing). As such, this could have probably been costs much much less.

Spell Sentience UU
Instant -R
Counter target spell. That spell's controller may search their library for a spell with the same mana cost but a different name and play it without paying its mana cost.
"Wait, that wasn't what I meant to do..."

Edit: Thanks, CantigThimbleHow would this work with for example. . . . countering your own ornithopter, and getting a ancestral visions. If that works, maybe it should be "counter a spell an opponent controls?"

Greedy Algorithm 4B
Sorcery (R)
Destroy target creature with the highest power among creatures on the battlefield.
Return Greedy Algorithm to its owner's hand as it resolves.

Spells that bounce back to your hands aren't the most fun, that's what wizards said about why they don't like buyback, but I think this spell is really cool. It's hard to play around with however, and can lead to a lockdown if one player is running a creatureless deck, or a deck with creatures such as "mishra's factory"

The Black Hound 3WBR

Legendary Artifact Creature- Berserker construct - MT

Vigilance, lifelink

Whenever a creature dealt damage by the Black Hound this turn dies, exile it instead.

The black hound cannot attack unless defending player controls a creature.

6/6

"I only find purpose, life, in battle."

((Kind of thrown together and last minute, sorry. I know intimidate is no longer a thing, but I think it fits the character.))

http://phantasystar.wikia.com/wiki/Kireek

Here is the character it's based on.That's a pretty brutal drawback for a 6 mana tricolored legendary artifact with no protection . . . I'm basically saying that it's kinda weak and not really worth the cost. It could be made much cheaper or it's power could be beefed up much more.

bryn0528 - I really like the card, but I feel it's a little too weak. If I am missing it's power, that's my bad, it just seems a little inefficient as hate or a win con.

thisisacat - for a cool counterspell. The reason this didn't win is because I am not sure about it's combo potential. However, honestly if it was limited to opponents, I think it could have gotten away with costing it at only U, just to be truly wild.

CantigThimble - great card, and really happy you used all the evergreens (missing only double strike). The card is interesting, but might be a little two weak. Outside some crazy creatures, this really is only giving things +2/+2 on average, which isn't that impressive for a three mana aura.

Mystic Muse
2015-06-26, 09:41 AM
Fair enough. I wanted to make it just Rakdos, but in Modern Card design, black and red never get vigilancem i also wanted to give it more keywords, but couldn't think of much else that seemed appropriate. Any form of evasion basically defeats the purpose, as he specifically lives for fighting, and if I make him too effective at combat he goes too much the other way on the power scale. I wasn't really sure what protections I could give him that woukd fit his flavor.

CantigThimble
2015-06-26, 10:19 AM
Thanks! And not including double strike was just on oversight on my part.

For this week: Make a card that has or mentions two or more keywords!

Jormengand
2015-06-26, 11:22 AM
Machine Uprising R
Sorcery - R
Each artifact deals 1 damage to its controller.
Give them intelligence and they will want the world.

So this was missed.

Anyway:

Sacred Assassin 2WB
Creature - Elf Cleric Assassin R
Protection from Legendary creatures, Deathtouch.
T: Sacred assassin fights target creature.
1/1

braveheart
2015-06-26, 11:46 AM
For clarity, do you want evergreen keywords, or hust any keywords?

Beacon of Chaos
2015-06-26, 11:56 AM
Cortana 1WU
Enchant Creature
-Cortana
Great minds think alike. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18263604&postcount=368) :smallwink:

CantigThimble
2015-06-26, 11:59 AM
Any keywords are allowed.

Edit: And just to be clear these (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Magic:_The_Gathering_keywords) are the keywords. Not the ability words and such.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-06-27, 03:59 PM
Uplifting Spirit 1WU
Creature - Spirit U
Exalted, Flying
Whenever another creature you control attacks alone, that creature gains flying until end of turn.
2/1

braveheart
2015-06-27, 04:17 PM
Death Wall 1WB
Creature - Wall - U
Defender, First Strike, Deathtouch
Nothing can get past the death wall
1/1

LaZodiac
2015-06-27, 04:27 PM
Anafenza's Sharpshooter 2G
Creature - Ainok Archer (U)
Reach
1B: ~ gains deathtouch until the end of your turn.
1W: ~ Gains first strike until the end of your turn
3/2
One shot is all it takes.

bryn0528
2015-06-28, 09:54 PM
Combine Swarm {2}{G}
Creature—Insect Mutant (Uncommon)

Graft 3 (This creature enters the battlefield with two +1/+1 counters on it. Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, you may move a +1/+1 counter from this creature onto it.)
{5}{U}{G} Monstrosity 3. (If this creature isn't monstrous, put three +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes monstrous.)
When ~ becomes monstrous, put a +1/+1 counter on each other creature you control with a +1/+1 counter on it.

[ 0 / 0 ]

mystic1110
2015-06-29, 10:17 AM
Marrow Tank {2}
Artifact - Equipment R
Living weapon (When this Equipment enters the battlefield, put a 0/0 black Germ creature token onto the battlefield, then attach this to it.)
Level up {4} ({4}: Put a level counter on this. Level up only as a sorcery.)
Equipped creature gets +1/+1.
Equip {2}

Equipped creature gets +4/+4.
Equip {1}
Level 1-3

Equipped creature gets +10/+10.
Equip {0}
Level 4+

Beacon of Chaos
2015-06-29, 03:46 PM
Arcbound Cyborg 1UG

Artifact Creature - Human Construct - U

Evolve, Modular 2

"Anything you can do, I can rebuild myself to do better."

0/0

Blue Ghost
2015-06-29, 04:20 PM
Meletis Honor Guard 2W
Creature - Human Soldier (U)
Renown 1 (When this creature deals combat damage to a player, if it isn't renowned, put a +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes renowned.)
Renowned creatures you control have vigilance. (Attacking doesn't cause them to tap.)
2/3

TiaC
2015-07-04, 02:26 PM
Drakification 4U
Sorcery -U
Sacrifice a non-land permanent: Replicate.
Put a 2/2 blue Drake creature token with flying into play under your control.

tgva8889
2015-07-04, 08:41 PM
Scales of the Savoir 2WW
Instant - R
Regenerate each creature you control with the lowest toughness among creatures you control. Bolster 2 for each creature regenerated in this way.
Dromoka protects even the weakest of her clan.

Saposhiente
2015-07-04, 11:06 PM
Replicate: Sacrifice a non-land permanent.

You probably meant "Sacrifice a non-land permanent: Replicate."

TiaC
2015-07-04, 11:41 PM
You probably meant "Sacrifice a non-land permanent: Replicate."

Yes, that's what I get for changing keywords midstream.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-07-05, 12:18 PM
I believe we're overdue for a judging.

Ninjaman
2015-07-05, 01:35 PM
Jeskai Swordmaster - 1W
Creature - Human Monk - U
First strike, prowess
A true swordsman can cleave a fly in two, midflight.
2/2

CantigThimble
2015-07-05, 02:18 PM
We are indeed, I'll finish it first thing after work.

CantigThimble
2015-07-05, 09:48 PM
I suppose predictably a lot of these cards fit the bill of 'solid uncommon' which means I don't have a ton to say about them.

Jormengand - Sacred Assassin

Sacred Assassin 2WB
Creature - Elf Cleric Assassin R
Protection from Legendary Creatures, Deathtouch
T: Sacred Assassin fights target creature.
1/1

So, typically just a kill spell on a 1 turn delay that’s vulnerable to anything. In commander it gets much better. Has some synergy with protection and other combat tricks. Seems fine, nothing really special. I’m not really excited to have this in most formats just because black/white has the strongest removal and this isn’t competing with pacifism or doom blade unless you build your deck around it, and even then it isn’t amazing. The flavor is decent.

Dr. Gunsforhands - Uplifting Spirit

Uplifting Spirit 1WU
Creature - Spirit U
Exalted, Flying
Whenever another creature you control attacks alone, that creature gains flying until end of turn.

A strong card, get a random lifelinker and you’ve got yourself a Battlegrace Angel. I’d play this every chance I got in limited and might splash a color for it. Solid value.

braveheart - Death Wall

Death Wall 1WB
Creature - Wall U
Defender, First Strike, Deathtouch
1/1

Great blocker of course. I’d play this every time I could in limited. My only problem is 1 toughness doesn’t really seem like a wall to me. It would be more flavorful as an assassin or guard of some kind.

LaZodiac - Anafenza’s Sharpshooter

Anafenza’s Sharpshooter 2G
Creature - Hound Archer U
Reach
1B: ~ gains deathtouch until end of your turn.
1W: ~ gains first strike until end of your turn.
3/2

This is probably busted in limited. The ability to shut down any aggression and attack with the same activation is really really strong. This is incredible in GW, decent in GB and fan-freaking-tastic in GWB while still being a solid card in just mono-green.

bryn0528 - Combine Swarm

Combine Swarm 2G
Creature - Insect Mutant U
Graft 3
5UG Monstrosity 3
When ~ becomes monstrous, put a +1/+1 counter on each other creature you control with a +1/+1 counter on it.
0/0

This card is fun, I like the combination of Graft and Monstrosity here. A 3/3 graft for 3 is quite playable on its own and in UG it gets quite good. I’m not sold on the ability being UG though. It fits fine in just G and at 7 mana I’m not so worried about needing to balance the power level with color requirements.

mystic1110 - Marrow Tank

Marrow Tank 2
Artifact - Equipment R
Living Weapon
Equip 2
Equipped creature gets +1/+1
Level Up 4
Level 1-3: Equip 1
Equipped Creature gets +4/+4
Level 4: Equip 0
Equipped creature gets +10/+10

Interesting combo here, very powerful at level 1 and a decent lategame manasink. No problems I can see.

Diego Havoc - Arcbound Cyborg

Arcbound Cyborg 1UG
Artifact Creature - Human Construct
Evolve, Modular 2
0/0
“Anything you can do, I can rebuild myself to do better.”

Very creative and flavorful combo. I like it.

Blue Ghost - Meletis Honor Guard

Meletis Honor Guard 2W
Creature - Human Soldier U
Renown 1
Renowned Creatures you control have vigilance.
2/3

Seems like a strong limited card. Completely reasonable.

thisisacat - Drakification

Drakification 4U
Sorcery - U
Replicate: Sacrifice a non-land permanent.
Put a 2/2 blue Drake creature token with flying onto the battlefield under your control.

Seems fine, maybe a win condition for a few decks but not exceptional.

tvga8889 - Scales of the Savior

Scales of the Savior 2WW
Instant - R
Regenerate each creature you control with the lowest thoughness among creatures you control. Bolester 2 for each creature regenerated in this way.
“Dromoka protects even the weakest of her clan.’

Or rather Dromoka protects ONLY the weakest of her clan. :smalltongue: This card seems really weak, bolster tends to lead to varied tougnesses so it’s hard to get a whole lot of value here. An unimpressive rare most times.

Ninjaman - Jeskai Swordmaster

Jeskai Swordmaster 1W
Creature - Human Monk U
First Strike, Prowess
2/2
‘A true swordsman can cleave a fly in two, midflight.’

Strong, maybe even better than seeker of the way since it always has it’s ability. Quite powerful, maybe too much so.

Winner

My favorites were Combine Swarm and Arcbound Cyborg for the creativity and synergy of the keywords chosen. I’m going with Arcbound Cyborg by a small margin. Congrats Diego Havoc!

Beacon of Chaos
2015-07-06, 04:55 AM
Me? Oh, wow, thank you! There were a lot of good entries in this challenge, I didn't think I'd win. :smallsmile:

For the next challenge, how about... design a card that grants an extra turn, step, or phase, or that skips a turn, step, or phase.

onasuma
2015-07-06, 08:16 AM
Crushing Ideas 1BBB
Enchantment - R
Discard two cards: Target player skips their next draw step.
Many voices crush great ideas.

mystic1110
2015-07-06, 08:25 AM
Chronoknot {1}{U}
Instant R
Target player chooses draw step, or untap step. The player skips the next instance of his or her chosen step. If that player chose draw step, draw a card. If that player chose untap step, untap all permanents you control.
Whatever you do, don't talk to yourself - that makes the paradox angry.

Edited due to being too complex, and edited again for rules issues

Didn't like it

Chronocurse 2U
Enchantment -Aura Curse R
Enchant Player
At the beginning of enchanted player's untap step, enchanted player chooses one that hasn't been chosen —
• Skip your draw step this turn.
• Skip your combat phase this turn.
• Skip each of your main phases this turn..
• End your turn.
If each choice has been chosen, sacrifice Chronocurse.

Jormengand
2015-07-06, 10:51 AM
Unending War 2BB
Enchantment - MR
Skip each end step and each cleanup step. (Creatures don't heal, and effects that activate at end of turn don't activate. Effects that last for one turn don't end. Players don't discard for having too many cards. The turn still ends and it still becomes each new player's turn in order.)

Fable Wright
2015-07-06, 12:04 PM
Chronoknot {1}{U}
Instant R
Target player chooses draw step, or untap step. If its that player's turn, that player skips each instance of his or her chosen step or phase this turn. If that player chose draw step, draw a card. If that player chose untap step, untap all permanents you control.
Whatever you do, don't talk to yourself - that makes the paradox angry.

Edited due to being too complex

I didn't think that you could cast something on an opponent's turn before the untap step. :smallconfused:

mystic1110
2015-07-06, 12:09 PM
I didn't think that you could cast something on an opponent's turn before the untap step. :smallconfused:

Thanks, edited.

LaZodiac
2015-07-06, 12:18 PM
Live In The Now XR
Instant (MR)
Add X red mana to your mana pool. Exile your hand and the top X cards of your library. Until end of turn, you may cast cards exiled with ~. Skip your next turn
If one lives solely in the now, they will not have life left for the future. Best to make it count.

Lea Plath
2015-07-06, 04:14 PM
Time-Locked War 2UR
Enchantment - R
Pay 4: Remove a time counter from target suspended card you control. Activate this ability only as a sorcery.
When a spell is cast from exile, after this main phase, there is an additional combat phase followed by an additional main phase.
The battle was locked in a fragile moment, waiting for someone to set it free

Mystic Muse
2015-07-06, 06:22 PM
Goblin timewarper UUR

Creature- Goblin Wizard R

When Goblin timewarper comes into play, flip a coin. If you win the flip, take an extra turn after this one. If you lose the flip, skip your next turn.

"They're very good at making time. Whether it's for you is another matter."2/2

bryn0528
2015-07-06, 09:45 PM
Merchant of Hours {3}{U}{B}
Enchantment (Rare)

At the beginning of each opponent's end step, if it's not an extra turn, that player may pay half his or her life, rounded up. If a player does, put an eon counter on Merchant of Hours and that player takes an extra turn after this one.
{3}, Remove an eon counter from Merchant of Hours: if it's not an extra turn, take an extra turn after this one.

mystic1110
2015-07-06, 09:55 PM
Enchantment (Rare)

Merchant of Hours enters the battlefield with 10 time counters on it.
At the beginning of each opponent's end step, if it's not an extra turn, remove a time counter from Merchant of Hours and that opponent takes an extra turn after this one.
You can't lose the game.
When Merchant of Hours has no more time counters on it, sacrifice it and you lose the game.

Hmm . . . so you're opponent has twice as many turns as you for 10 turns and then you lose the game - all for the benefit of not losing? Compare this to platinum angel - which has no draw back and is actually on a decent flying body for 7 mana . . . honestly I think this could cost 0 mana and still be a hard sell.

bryn0528
2015-07-06, 11:09 PM
Hmm . . . so you're opponent has twice as many turns as you for 10 turns and then you lose the game - all for the benefit of not losing? Compare this to platinum angel - which has no draw back and is actually on a decent flying body for 7 mana . . . honestly I think this could cost 0 mana and still be a hard sell.

Oops. Fixed. :smallredface:

Saposhiente
2015-07-06, 11:12 PM
Now it's the Red hate to end all Red hate. It basically reads, "If your opponent has no enchantment removal, you win the game. Otherwise, you lose the game."
Toss in a bunch of Negates and cry.

But here's the real reason to cry. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Vampire+Hexmage)

bryn0528
2015-07-07, 01:08 AM
Now it's the Red hate to end all Red hate. It basically reads, "If your opponent has no enchantment removal, you win the game. Otherwise, you lose the game."
Toss in a bunch of Negates and cry.

If mono-red can't take you out in twenty turns to ten, then I don't think they were going to stand much of a chance anyway. EDIT: Nevermind, I'm dumb.

But here's the real reason to cry. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Vampire+Hexmage)

This is something else entirely. Hrm.

Tom the Mime
2015-07-07, 03:32 AM
Enchantment

At the beginning of each opponent's end step, if it's not an extra turn, put a time counter on Merchant of Hours and that opponent takes an extra turn after this one.
When Merchant of Hours has ten or more time counters on it, you win the game.

Now with that change it's back to awful. Any deck that can't kill you in 20 turns from when a 5 drop is played when they have twice as many turns as you would likely have been beaten by you if you hadn't given them extra turns. Counterspells and destruction won't help much given the extra card advantage from extra turns too.

Ninjaman
2015-07-07, 05:06 AM
Chronocurse 2U
Enchant Player
At the beginning of enchanted player's untap step, enchanted player chooses one that hasn't been chosen —
• Skip each of instance of your main phase this turn.
• End your turn.
If each choice has been chosen, enchanted player may have target player gain control of Chronocurse.

I think it should be worded "Skip each of your main phases this turn." Also gaining control of Chronocurse has no effect, as it is not the same as being enchanted by it.

Blue Ghost
2015-07-07, 06:23 PM
Starfield Dove 2W
Enchantment Creature - Bird (R)
Flying
Each player skips his or her postcombat main phase.
1/3

tgva8889
2015-07-08, 08:14 AM
Man, this one is so cool. I can't decide what card I want to make. I think I'm going to submit this one, because this one amuses me and I really want this to be a card for reasons.

Jormengand: That's actually very similar to a card, called Staying Power (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=74276), which, based on questions Mark Rosewater and Matt Tabak have answered on Tumblr, cannot be made because the rules simply don't allow it to function in black-bordered Magic.

Edit: Well after discovering that someone submitted a card that does something very similar to this, I've decided to go with a different idea.

Abandon Plans 1R
Enchantment R
Players skip their precombat main phases. (There is still a postcombat main phase after the combat phase.)
"No one wins a war by thinking!"
- Ib Halfheart

Time Ripple 1UU
Instant M
Cast Time Ripple only during your upkeep.
Take an extra turn after this one. End the turn.

Jormengand
2015-07-08, 08:28 AM
Jormengand: That's actually very similar to a card, called Staying Power (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=74276), which, based on questions Mark Rosewater and Matt Tabak have answered on Tumblr, cannot be made because the rules simply don't allow it to function in black-bordered Magic.

Shucks.

Legendary Creature - Avatar MR
Skip each declare blockers step.
9/4

CantigThimble
2015-07-08, 01:44 PM
Temporal Shenanigans 3UU
Enchantment - M
Your opponents skip their post combat main phase. You take an additional main phase after each opponents combat phase.
"Dibs."
-Teferi, Temporal Archmage

Beacon of Chaos
2015-07-08, 05:04 PM
For the record, I've updated the challenge to include steps, as well as turns and phases.

Zaydos
2015-07-08, 05:15 PM
Freeze in Time 4UUU
Enchantment - Aura R
Enchant Player
~ enters the battlefield with 3 time counters on it. At the beginning of each of enchanted player's upkeep remove a time counter from ~.
Enchanted player skips their untap step.

Not actually happy with this... it's ungodly and probably shouldn't be.

Tom the Mime
2015-07-08, 06:52 PM
I keep getting stuck on ideas that do the same sort of thing as Stasis or Solitary Confinement but aren't different enough.

Let's go with a time vault inspired card with a bad pun.

Assault Battery - 2R
Artifact - R
Whenever you would begin your combat phase, you may instead skip it and place a charge counter on ~.
Remove a charge counter from ~: After this phase there is an additional combat phase. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery and only once per turn.

Seems too abusable if it makes even a single creature untap without upping the ability cost but could be interesting with vigilance and controlling creatures that must attack if able.

Edit: haven't kept up with recent sets do didn't know about butcher and changed it to one per turn. Probably should have done that just with an oldie like serra angel though.

CantigThimble
2015-07-08, 08:06 PM
I'm imagining a mardu control deck relying on saving up 4-5 counters then dropping butcher of the horde and sacing for vigilance and haste.

TiaC
2015-07-09, 02:44 AM
Enforced Peace 2W
Enchantment -R
All players skip their combat phases.
Sacrifice three creatures: destroy Enforced Peace. Any player may play this ability.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-07-12, 11:18 PM
Leave the World Behind 2UU
Enchantment - MR
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, exile the top ten cards of that player's library.
You may skip your turns.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-07-13, 05:49 PM
I regret choosing this competition. I'm not sure how to judge half of these cards. Oh well, here goes nothing. :smalleek:

onasuma

Crushing Ideas 1BBB
Enchantment - R
Discard two cards: Target player skips their next draw step.
Many voices crush great ideas.
Mmm, yeah this is okay. Seems like it could be pretty dangerous in some kind of combo deck that draws lots of cards, but you'd probably have to work quite hard to lock your opponent down like that. Might be quite frustrating to play against.

mystic1110

Chronocurse 2U
Enchant Player
• Skip each of your main phases this turn..
• End your turn.
If each choice has been chosen, sacrifice Chronocurse.
I'm liking it. Your opponent can work around it, but they always have that (almost) skipped turn looming ahead. Can be quite good if you get multiples, one after the other.

LaZodiac

Live In The Now XR
Instant (MR)
Add X red mana to your mana pool. Exile your hand and the top X cards of your library. Until end of turn, you may cast cards exiled with ~. Skip your next turn
If one lives solely in the now, they will not have life left for the future. Best to make it count.
Tricky to judge. You get a lot of cards to cast, at the expense of losing a turn plus whatever cards you don't cast. Seems playable, I guess. I'm sorry, I don't know what to think about this one.

Lea Plath

Time-Locked War 2UR
Enchantment - R
Pay 4: Remove a time counter from target suspended card you control. Activate this ability only as a sorcery.
When a spell is cast from exile, after this main phase, there is an additional combat phase followed by an additional main phase.
The battle was locked in a fragile moment, waiting for someone to set it free
Seems fair, though it's an odd mix of abilities. There's potential there for multiple combat phases per turn, but with no untapping creatures in colours without vigilance means you probably need to work to abuse it.

Mystic Muse

Goblin timewarper UUR

Creature- Goblin Wizard R

When Goblin timewarper comes into play, flip a coin. If you win the flip, take an extra turn after this one. If you lose the flip, skip your next turn.

"They're very good at making time. Whether it's for you is another matter."
2/2
It's a fair card, though I think I'd prefer Stitch in time. At least if you skip your turn you have a blocker for it. It's a very Izzet card though, which I like.

bryn0528

Enchantment (Rare)

At the beginning of each opponent's end step, if it's not an extra turn, that player may pay half his or her life, rounded up. If a player does, put an eon counter on Merchant of Hours and that player takes an extra turn after this one.
{3}, Remove an eon counter from Merchant of Hours: if it's not an extra turn, take an extra turn after this one.
So your opponent pays half their life for an extra turn, and then you get an extra turn for just 3 mana. If someone played this against me, I'd never use it unless I was sure I could win next turn. It just doesn't seem worth playing.

Blue Ghost

Starfield Dove 2W
Enchantment Creature - Bird (R)
Flying
Each player skips his or her postcombat main phase.
1/3
Intersting. It's a small effect, but changes the way you need to think about combat. No waiting until after combat to cast cards. Stuff like bloodthirst becomes harder to play. It's clever.

tgva8889

Time Ripple 1UU
Instant M
Cast Time Ripple only during your upkeep.
Take an extra turn after this one. End the turn.
Intriguing. It's effectively an extra untap and upkeep step. All kinds of ways to take advantage of that. Mythic might be a little much though; just rare would be enough, I think.

Jormengand

Legendary Creature - Avatar MR
Skip each declare blockers step.
9/4
Oof. A 9/4 unblockable for 6. In mono-red, this guy is pretty damn powerful. Also, his ability might as well say "creatures are unblockable" so it's not that interesting, mechanically. It just seems a bit much.

CantigThimble

Temporal Shenanigans 3UU
Enchantment - M
Your opponents skip their post combat main phase. You take an additional main phase after each opponents combat phase.
"Dibs."
-Teferi, Temporal Archmage
So, you get a main phase during your opponent's turn? Seems pretty good. Almost, but not quite, like giving your cards flash. Might actually be a little over costed; I'd rather have Vedalken Orrery.

Zaydos

Freeze in Time 4UUU
Enchantment - Aura R
Enchant Player
~ enters the battlefield with 3 time counters on it. At the beginning of each of enchanted player's upkeep remove a time counter from ~.
Enchanted player skips their untap step
Three turns of no untap is pretty harsh, but it is a seven mana enchantment. Playing it when your opponent's mana is tapped out is game over for them. Might still be a little strong. I dunno.

Tom the Mime

Assault Battery - 2R
Artifact - R
Whenever you would begin your combat phase, you may instead skip it and place a charge counter on ~.
Remove a charge counter from ~: After this phase there is an additional combat phase. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery and only once per turn.
An extra combat phase but with no untaps or extra main phase after. Seems fine, not too strong, mostly good with vigilance creatures.

thisisacat

Enforced Peace 2W
Enchantment -R
All players skip their combat phases.
Sacrifice three creatures: destroy Enforced Peace. Any player may play this ability.
Three creatures seems a bit much for any deck not using tokens. Just the one would be enough, I think. Other than that, seems reasonable.

Dr.Gunsforhands

Leave the World Behind 2UU
Enchantment - MR
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, exile the top ten cards of that player's library.
You may skip your turns.
Interesting. Combine with defensive white cards for a potentially easy win. Might want to clarify when you make the decision to skip your turn. Not sure about the cost.

Tough choice, but I think the week's winner is...
tgva8889 with Time Ripple!

Mystic Muse
2015-07-13, 07:56 PM
Darn, I was hoping my card was just kooky enough to use.:smalltongue:

Blue Ghost
2015-07-13, 08:18 PM
Darn, I was hoping my card was just kooky enough to use.:smalltongue:

I think it is. Not everyone likes that kind of card, but the people who do will love it.

tgva8889
2015-07-14, 04:34 AM
Thanks! I think you're right, I might have been able to swing it as a rare. Extra turns often appear at mythic and don't often appear at a low cost, so I thought it might make a splashy card. But I think as a rare the card would be fine.

As a tip of the hat to Magic Origins, make a card from a world featured in Magic Origins.

Go for the flavor win! For those who are curious, the worlds are listed here (http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/worlds-magic-origins-2015-07-09).

Beacon of Chaos
2015-07-14, 07:37 AM
Ooh, fun! Right away, the magepunkish setting of Kaladesh stands out to me, especially the airships. The spy network gives me an idea, too.

Consul's Spyship 4

Artifact Creature - Construct - U

Flying

Consul's Spyship cannot attack unless you control a blue creature.

Whenever Consul's Spyship deals combat damage to a player, you may looks at that players hand, the top card of his or her library, and any face-down creatures he or she controls.

2/4

I have an image in mind for when I get back from work too...
Edit:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DiegoHavoc/Consuls%20Spyship.png (http://s70.photobucket.com/user/DiegoHavoc/media/Consuls%20Spyship.png.html)

LaZodiac
2015-07-14, 10:41 AM
Snarling Saber-horn (http://media.wizards.com/2015/images/daily/card4rt_7vwpjkl1f7.jpg) 3W
Creature - Cat Beast (C)
R: ~ gains Menace until the end of turn.
4/3
Even tamed, the beast is still a beast.

Flavor for this is that it's a (somewhat) tamed version of the creature in that card. It's white because lions are white, as are most cats, and it's got the Red menace gaining ability because RedWhite in Origins is about "going wide" so I figured a somewhat strong beatstick like this, with a Red activator to make it attack better, would fit.

Jormengand
2015-07-14, 11:08 AM
Unstable Automaton 5
Artifact Creature - Construct Rigger R
Whenever Unstable Automaton takes damage, it assembles a contraption (Put a colourless artifact called contraption onto the battlefield under your control.)
"What we're building, I know... I know."
Pia Nalaar.
2/5

Just because I had to. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=136151)

LaZodiac
2015-07-14, 02:36 PM
I feel that card would be better without the reminder text.

tgva8889
2015-07-14, 08:40 PM
Also, small note: It should say, "..., [CARDNAME] assembles a contraption." Otherwise it doesn't interact with Steamflogger Boss, which is really the only point of assembling contraptions.

braveheart
2015-07-15, 01:54 AM
Ætherguard 2WU
Creature - Human - U
2WUT: Counter target spell that targets one or more enchantments you control.
"The ethereal beings of Theros need not fear when they are with an Ætherguard"
1/3

Ninjaman
2015-07-15, 04:55 AM
Also, small note: It should say, "..., [CARDNAME] assembles a contraption." Otherwise it doesn't interact with Steamflogger Boss, which is really the only point of assembling contraptions.

Or he should note that steamflogger boss recieves errata.

tgva8889
2015-07-15, 09:39 AM
Or he should note that steamflogger boss recieves errata.

If you errata Steamflogger Boss, it completely defeats the purpose of trying to assemble contraptions at all, because the design reason to assemble contraptions is to make Steamflogger Boss work. If you are just going to change the card, you aren't making your design work within the parameters, you're changing the parameters.

Jormengand
2015-07-15, 09:42 AM
I changed it so that it did the assembling, rather than you.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-07-15, 10:26 AM
Consul's Spyship 4
Flying
Consul's Spyship cannot attack unless you control a blue or white creature.
Whenever Consul's Spyship deals combat damage to a player, that player plays with his or her hand revealed for the rest of the game.
2/4
Hmm, suddenly a lot less confident about this one. Some questions for my fellow cardsmiths:

Should the ability create an emblem instead? I know those are planeswalker only at the moment, but it would make more sense.
Is the ability reasonable? I'm comparing to telepathy here, which is easier to use and cheaper, but can be destroyed.
Does needing a white creature make sense? I'm mostly basing this on the fact that Consul's Lieutenant is white, but the ability is defintely more blue.

braveheart
2015-07-15, 10:28 AM
Hmm, suddenly a lot less confident about this one. Some questions for my fellow cardsmiths:

Should the ability create an emblem instead? I know those are planeswalker only at the moment, but it would make more sense.
Is the ability reasonable? I'm comparing to telepathy here, which is easier to use and cheaper, but can be destroyed.
Does needing a white creature make sense? I'm mostly basing this on the fact that Consul's Lieutenant is white, but the ability is defintely more blue.

Honestly I would make it just peeking at their hand, not a permanent reveal

Beacon of Chaos
2015-07-15, 10:38 AM
Yeah, probably should change it.

mystic1110
2015-07-15, 11:13 AM
Alleyway Mugger 2BB
Creature - Human Rogue U
When ~ enters the battlefield, if you control at least three or more humans and/or rogues, destroy target creature. If you do put a colorless artifact token named Gold onto the battlefield. It has "Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."
"Straight outta Ravnica"
2/2

And it plays well with Lowyrn/Shadowmore and Insitrid, and has gold tokens from Theros. :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-07-18, 11:21 PM
Reengineer 2R
Instant - C
Exile target artifact. Put a 1/1 colorless Thopter artifact creature token onto the battlefield.
The Consulate has been known to confiscate and recycle everything from clock towers to umbrella stands. Though it's always written off to a critical metal shortage, just as often a valuable item is chosen simply out of spite.

Ring Leech 2U
Creature - Leech R
Whenever a player casts an instant or sorcery spell, put a +1/+1 counter on Ring Leech.
Sacrifice Ring Leech: Counter target instant or sorcery spell.
Inexperienced mage-ring attendants sometimes lure away these nuisances with large surges of energy, which the leeches greedily pursue and absorb to the point of bursting. ...usually.
0/1

Saposhiente
2015-07-19, 03:02 AM
That should say "under your control". Also the way you've described the flavor doesn't sound very Red to me, though it's mechanically fine.
Ring Leech needs to at minimum have two blue mana symbols, because it is a hard counter, but even then it's really good, in many situations better than cancel because you can tap out but still have counterspell up.

Ninjaman
2015-07-19, 03:51 AM
Ring Leech needs to at minimum have two blue mana symbols, because it is a hard counter, but even then it's really good, in many situations better than cancel because you can tap out but still have counterspell up.

You must have missed instant or sorcery.

CantigThimble
2015-07-19, 11:07 AM
Seperatist Avenger 1R
Creature - Human Warrior U
When ~ enters the battlefield ~ deals 5 damage to each player who controls a permanent with a converted mana cost higher than the number of lands they control.
2/1

Saposhiente
2015-07-19, 11:30 AM
You must have missed instant or sorcery.

Ah yes that'll do it.

Blue Ghost
2015-07-19, 05:15 PM
Earl of Stensia 3B
Creature - Vampire (U)
Renown 1
As long as Earl of Stensia is renowned, it has flying and lifelink.
4/2

Zaydos
2015-07-19, 05:56 PM
Pack Leader Krasis 2GG
Creature - Beast Mutant U
Renown 2 (When this creature deals combat damage to a player, if it isn't renowned, put two +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes renowned.)

When ~ becomes renown put a +1/+1 counter on each other creature you control.

3/3

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-07-19, 08:28 PM
[Reengineer] should say "under your control". Also the way you've described the flavor doesn't sound very Red to me, though it's mechanically fine.

First thing: Nuh (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=366461) uhh! (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=240021) :smalltongue:

Second thing: Yeah, I can kind of see that. Confiscation is more of a blue/white thing to do. Confiscation by turning the offending object into a thopter right in front of you is pretty red, though. I just don't know where I'd get the art to convey that part.

tgva8889
2015-07-21, 07:32 AM
It's been a little slow, so I'll be grading sometime later today. If you're still interested in participating, get your card in before tonight EST!

Ninjaman
2015-07-21, 12:02 PM
Thraben Purifier - 1W
Creature - Human Soldier - R
Vigilance
If a creature card would be put into an opponent's graveyard from anywhere, exile it instead.
A proper burial is secondary to the survival of Thraben.
2/2

Lea Plath
2015-07-21, 01:16 PM
Oona's Archive - 1UB
Tribal Enchantment - Faerie R
Whenever a faerie you control enters the battlefield, you may exile a card from the top of your deck face up.

Whenever a faerie you control dies, you may sacrifice Oona's Archive. If you do, you may put up to two cards exiled by Oona's Archive into your hand and the rest into your graveyard.

Each faerie is made of dream stuff, wrapped around a thread of memory

[Picture is of a night sky, filled with Faeries, forming the symbol for Shadowmoor]

tgva8889
2015-07-22, 08:13 AM
Grading!

Consul's Spyship 4

Flying

Consul's Spyship cannot attack unless you control a blue creature.

Whenever Consul's Spyship deals combat damage to a player, you may looks at that players hand, the top card of his or her library, and any face-down creatures he or she controls.

2/4

A simple execution of an interesting idea. I appreciate that this card sort of casts Spy Network. I'm only sort of sure why you need a blue creature to attack with this. I understand the flavor of needing a pilot, but unfortunately that doesn't really play very well in Magic. I would say that if you removed that completely, or somehow worded this into an Equipment, that would be pretty cool.

Also, you were very correct to remove the permanent hand reveal, as that would not have been viable on an uncommon.

Snarling Saber-horn (http://media.wizards.com/2015/images/daily/card4rt_7vwpjkl1f7.jpg) 3W
Creature - Cat Beast (C)
R: ~ gains Menace until the end of turn.
4/3
Even tamed, the beast is still a beast.

I'm not really sure why this creature is White. I think it really, really wants to be Green based on the art. Otherwise, a pretty simple card that I can appreciate. Very simple, very effective at what it's supposed to be. Unfortunately, this card really doesn't do anything special for me and has no excitement value for me.

Unstable Automaton 5
Artifact Creature - Construct Rigger R
Whenever Unstable Automaton takes damage, it assembles a contraption (Put a colourless artifact called contraption onto the battlefield under your control.)
"What we're building, I know... I know."
Pia Nalaar.
2/5

The issue with Contraptions is that in order to make Contraptions work, you have to make the action word "assemble" do something that can't be represented properly in actual game text. Creatures don't put tokens onto the battlefield, the player does; shoving the words in to make the card work with Steamflogger Boss feels awkward and doesn't really solve the design problem. I think if you want to have your creatures assemble Contraptions, you have to do something that wouldn't be properly done some other way.

The long and short is that I don't really think you did contraptions the correct way. Ignoring that, though, this card doesn't really do anything, so it isn't very exciting to me. I can see what you're trying to do, but just making a bunch of artifacts doesn't accomplish anything.

Also, you should capitalize subtypes when referenced, so it should be "assembles a Contraption." Not really a criticism, I'm always learning about proper templating.

Ætherguard 2WU
Creature - Human - U
2WUT: Counter target spell that targets one or more enchantments you control.
"The ethereal beings of Theros need not fear when they are with an Ætherguard"
1/3

I feel like this card would be a very annoying effect to have in a format, as it will either be too expensive to do anything or completely lock one player out from answering the other player's things. It seems okay, but it doesn't excite me in any way, and in fact makes me groan.

From the flavor perspective, I'm also not sure this card makes any sense on Theros, because the AEther isn't specifically related to the enchantments of Theros but is considered the source of abstraction and such. I'm not really sure on Theros it relates to enchantments in this way, so I'm not sure what your flavor is going for.

Alleyway Mugger 2BB
Creature - Human Rogue U
When ~ enters the battlefield, if you control at least three or more humans and/or rogues, destroy target creature. If you do put a colorless artifact token named Gold onto the battlefield. It has "Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."
"Straight outta Ravnica"
2/2

I would reword this card to say "When [CARDNAME] enters the battlefield, if you control two or more other Human or Rogue creatures, ..." It changes it slightly but not much.

In terms of the effect, I actually like this card a lot, but it can't be an uncommon. Gold tokens are a bit complex to put at that rarity, and they really are the realm of rare cards. I do love the flavor you've got going here, though. The flavor is extremely perfect.

Reengineer 2R
Instant - C
Exile target artifact. Put a 1/1 colorless Thopter artifact creature token onto the battlefield.
The Consulate has been known to confiscate and recycle everything from clock towers to umbrella stands. Though it's always written off to a critical metal shortage, just as often a valuable item is chosen simply out of spite.

An interesting idea! However, this card should be blue, because blue is the color of transformation, not red. Even though you're transforming an artifact, that's still blue's domain.

Otherwise, though, the card seems cool. A simple execution of an effect, and likely something I can see them doing a lot.

Seperatist Avenger 1R
Creature - Human Warrior U
When ~ enters the battlefield ~ deals 5 damage to each player who controls a permanent with a converted mana cost higher than the number of lands they control.
2/1

This effect shouts "rare" to me, and I think you really want this to be a rare rather than an uncommon. I do, however, really enjoy this card and want it to exist and want to play 4 copies of it in lots of decks. The effect doesn't come up often, but it is nice to give a red deck some more ways to punish people for doing cheesy things.

Earl of Stensia 3B
Creature - Vampire (U)
Renown 1
As long as Earl of Stensia is renowned, it has flying and lifelink.
4/2

A very nice and simple effect. I'm not really sure what the flavor of a vampire having to gain renown before he can fly or drain life is, but I like the design. I can appreciate interesting limited cards.

Pack Leader Krasis 2GG
Creature - Beast Mutant U
Renown 2 (When this creature deals combat damage to a player, if it isn't renowned, put two +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes renowned.)

When ~ becomes renown put a +1/+1 counter on each other creature you control.

3/3

I'm not really sure what the flavor of this card is, but it's a fine entry. I wouldn't really expect a Krasis to be a pack leader, mostly because I'm not really sure that Krasis travel in packs. I like this card mechanically; you've found a very interesting way to interact with Renown, and I appreciate that.

Thraben Purifier - 1W
Creature - Human Soldier - R
Vigilance
If a creature card would be put into an opponent's graveyard from anywhere, exile it instead.
A proper burial is secondary to the survival of Thraben.
2/2

Very strong! Very mean to people trying to put creatures into their graveyard. I'm surprised they haven't make a creature that does this yet, honestly.

This card is very reminiscent of another card that they did make, Thraben Heretic (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=244709), which would make me question slightly the flavor of this card. Apparently exiling the dead is heretical, so how does this person get away with it?

Oona's Archive - 1UB
Tribal Enchantment - Faerie R
Whenever a faerie you control enters the battlefield, you may exile a card from the top of your deck face up.

Whenever a faerie you control dies, you may sacrifice Oona's Archive. If you do, you may put up to two cards exiled by Oona's Archive into your hand and the rest into your graveyard.

Each faerie is made of dream stuff, wrapped around a thread of memory

This card is interesting. I really dislike Tribal now that Wizards has stated that they aren't doing it, and I appreciate their argument. But overall, I appreciate what you're doing here. The faeries bring their dreams to Oona, and then you go into the archive to get the dreams you want. Although triggering on the death of a Faerie is a bit weird from a flavor standpoint, I like what you did here.

I would say that if you wanted to make a card that plays into what Faeries do, you should really play into what the Faeries do in a flavor perspective. The triggering on death part really jars me, because it doesn't feel like that's how Oona's archive of dreams would open itself. I'm not sure what I would make the trigger instead, but that part feels dissonant to me.

As a small note, when you reference subtypes in card text, you should capitalize them. So it should say "Whenever a Faerie." Not a criticism, just a comment on card formatting. You also don't need to specify "face up" for exiling, as that is the default.

The winner is...mystic1110's Alleyway Mugger, for both flavor and gameplay victory! I appreciated all the mechanics, felt excited by it, and felt the flavor was very interesting.

My one comment would be to remember that even if we're trying to hit on flavor, you do probably still want to submit exciting cards that do exciting things. I like the idea of simple things, but I wouldn't be excited to play them in my decks.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-07-22, 11:59 AM
Congrats to the winner!

A simple execution of an interesting idea. I appreciate that this card sort of casts Spy Network. I'm only sort of sure why you need a blue creature to attack with this. I understand the flavor of needing a pilot, but unfortunately that doesn't really play very well in Magic. I would say that if you removed that completely, or somehow worded this into an Equipment, that would be pretty cool.
I just figured the effect was blue enough that one should have something blue to activate it. Having a pilot seemed like the most flavourful thing to do. I suppose I could have put a blue cost to activate the ability, or maybe just put U in the mana cost (do they still do coloured artifacts, or was that Esper only?)

tgva8889
2015-07-22, 01:33 PM
I know it eats the flavor of it being a dirigible, but I would have just made it a blue flying creature and not an artifact, or made it an artifact and ignored the blue-ness of the ability and gone for the flavor of "it's a spy ship" for why it reveals things. It's still sort of weird to give every color access to what is effectively a 2/4 flying defender, so I would probably have leaned really far towards just making the card blue and not an artifact and made it a skyship captain or something.

mystic1110
2015-07-22, 01:58 PM
oh boy! Thanks for thinking my card was worthy of a win :smallsmile:

Here's the new challenge: Create a card with the following words in the rules text Library, Hand, Battlefield, and Graveyard

Mystic Muse
2015-07-22, 02:10 PM
Do you mean all four, or just one or more?

onasuma
2015-07-22, 02:49 PM
Creature - Avatar R
When you draw ~, if you drew it from your library, you may reveal ~. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
When you play ~, if you played it from your hand, you gain 7 life.
When~ is put into a graveyard from play, if it entered from your battlefield, shuffle it into your library.
Live so all will smile when you live again.
5/6

mystic1110
2015-07-22, 02:58 PM
Do you mean all four, or just one or more?

All four :smallbiggrin:

Zaydos
2015-07-22, 03:13 PM
Void Whisperer 3BBB
Multicolored spheres floating in darkness
Creature - Horror
Flying
If ~ would be put into the graveyard from anywhere shuffle it into your library instead.
When ~ enters the battlefield look at up to 2 target players' hands and select up to 2 card in each. Those players must discard the selected cards and you draw a card for each card discarded this way.
"When I sleep I hear it. When I wake I don't know it. Soon all will serve it." - Irindalis Archon of Zayin
3/7

LaZodiac
2015-07-22, 05:51 PM
Motivated Ghoulcaller 4B
Creature - Human Wizard (R)
When ~ enters the battlefield, search your library for any number of Zombie creature cards with total converted mana cost X and put them into your hand, where X is the number of creatures in your graveyard. Then shuffle your library.
3/3
Lets not try to think how Gisa motivates them.

Lea Plath
2015-07-22, 05:56 PM
Plagarist Student - 3UU
Creature - Human Wizard R
At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal the top card of your library. If it shares a name with a permanent you control, you may put it onto the battlefield. If not, send the revealed card to the graveyard.
Whenever a card would be put into the graveyard from your deck, you may reveal a card from your hand. If you do, instead put that card into your hand.
2/4

Jormengand
2015-07-22, 06:35 PM
Omnipotence 1WUBRG
Enchantment MR
When Omnipotence enters the battlefield, exile your hand.
Skip your draw step.
Each opponent plays with their hand and the top card of their library revealed. You can play any cards revealed this way and cards from any opponent's graveyard.

I have no clue how to cost this.

Tom the Mime
2015-07-22, 09:53 PM
Reminder text counts, doesn't it? Hand and library for the landcycling and battlefield and graveyard for unearth. Also, fire ecology is kinda neat.

Burning Eucalyptus Ent 2RG
Creature - Treefolk U
Trample
Mountaincycling 2
Unearth 1R
4/2

Ninjaman
2015-07-23, 12:07 AM
Plagarist Student - 3UU
At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal the top card of your library. If it shares a name with a permanent you control, you may put it onto the battlefield. If not, put it into your graveyard.
Whenever a card would be put into the graveyard from your deck, you may reveal a card from your hand. If you do, instead put that card into your hand.
2/4

Are you going to do anything with the revealed card, or are there any restrictions on it, because as it stands now you are just revealing a card.

Mystic Muse
2015-07-23, 06:02 AM
Slifer the Sky Dragon 4BRG

Legendary Creature - Dragon Avatar MR

Flying, Menace

~ Can't be countered
Creatures your opponents' control get -2/-0

Each creature's toughness is equal to its attack (Rather than using the normal value for toughness, use its attack value instead).

~ gets +1/+1 for each card in your hand.

If ~ would leave the battlefield, you may reveal it and shuffle it into its owners' library instead.

5/5

The heavens twist and thunder roars, signaling the coming of this ancient creature, and the dawn of true power.

I know the original Slifer has base zero attack and defense, but thought that there would be no way to make a creature like that work at a decent casting cost with every other effect that I need to give him, according to the original card and the contest.

Menace because two mouths, flying because dragon, the "Shuffle in" because I couldn't think of a better 'battlefield' ability that works, and the other effects because of the tournament legal version of the card.

Slifer's Summoning can't be stopped by the effects of cards, hence uncounterable.

Slifer gives a permanent -2000 attack to all normal/special summoned face up monsters, and destroys them if their power is reduced to zero this way. I tried replicating this as well as I could.

In terms of abilities, the +1/+1 for each card in your hand was on the original card, but of course him being 0/0 if you have no cards in hand seems really weak in this game, unless I massively undercost him. 5/5 seems reasonable without going over the top.

Mostly, I want a Slifer the Sky dragon card for EDH. :smalltongue:

tgva8889
2015-07-23, 11:02 AM
Impending Nightmare 1BB
Creature - Demon Nightmare M
If Impending Nightmare would be put into your graveyard or library from anywhere, lose 7 life and put it onto the battlefield instead.
Impending Nightmare can't attack unless the defending player has the same number of cards in his or her hand as you.
7/7

- - - Updated - - -

Omnipotence 1WUBRG
Enchantment MR
Skip each draw step.
Each opponent plays with their hand and the top card of their library revealed. You can play any cards revealed this way and cards from any player's graveyard.

I have no clue how to cost this.

This card is an easy infinite combo engine in many formats, so the answer is probably "it doesn't matter because if it's too expensive people will cheat it into play anyways."

Jormengand
2015-07-23, 11:43 AM
This card is an easy infinite combo engine in many formats, so the answer is probably "it doesn't matter because if it's too expensive people will cheat it into play anyways."

Mmm... would it be better if it was only from opponents' graveyards?

Fable Wright
2015-07-23, 11:52 AM
Mmm... would it be better if it was only from opponents' graveyards?

Significantly. Being able to cast Dark Rit infinite times from your graveyard followed by an infinite number of Tendrils of Agony seems pretty good, as does drawing your deck for free with Manamorphose. Cutting down on those shenanigans would be a good idea, yes.

mystic1110
2015-07-23, 11:53 AM
I don't really see how it's an infinite combo. . . it's dependent on your opponent playing cards that you can cast. Seeing as how you can't play them for free (you only have the ability to cast them) it depends on what color they are and their mana cost . . .

Fable Wright
2015-07-23, 11:56 AM
I don't really see how it's an infinite combo. . . it's dependent on your opponent playing cards that you can cast. Seeing as how you can't play them for free (you only have the ability to cast them) it depends on what color they are and their mana cost . . .

At the moment, the card allows you to cast cards from all graveyards, including your own. If you have a Manamorphose in your graveyard, you begin casting Manamorphoses until you've drawn your deck into your combo pieces, followed by infinite Dark Rits and a Tendrils of Agony. Or just a grapeshot. Or Desperate Rituals into a grapeshot. Whatever works, really.

mystic1110
2015-07-23, 12:00 PM
At the moment, the card allows you to cast cards from all graveyards, including your own. If you have a Manamorphose in your graveyard, you begin casting Manamorphoses until you've drawn your deck into your combo pieces, followed by infinite Dark Rits and a Tendrils of Agony. Or just a grapeshot. Or Desperate Rituals into a grapeshot. Whatever works, really.

Ah I thought it just worked on opponents graveyards only :smallsmile:

Jormengand
2015-07-23, 01:45 PM
Ah I thought it just worked on opponents graveyards only :smallsmile:

It does now.

tgva8889
2015-07-23, 02:27 PM
You may want to change it to "Skip your draw step" because otherwise it's a lock piece you can use to prevent your opponent from being able to play Magic. Unless you intended for it to do that, I guess.

Jormengand
2015-07-23, 02:58 PM
You may want to change it to "Skip your draw step" because otherwise it's a lock piece you can use to prevent your opponent from being able to play Magic. Unless you intended for it to do that, I guess.

Oops, changed.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-07-23, 04:47 PM
I know it eats the flavor of it being a dirigible, but I would have just made it a blue flying creature and not an artifact, or made it an artifact and ignored the blue-ness of the ability and gone for the flavor of "it's a spy ship" for why it reveals things. It's still sort of weird to give every color access to what is effectively a 2/4 flying defender, so I would probably have leaned really far towards just making the card blue and not an artifact and made it a skyship captain or something.
Yeah, I was mostly using Goblin Dirigible (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=48077) as the inspiration at the time, hence why it was an artifact.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-07-23, 11:13 PM
Fantasy Torturer 1(u/b)
Creature - Illusion R
When Fantasy Torturer enters the battlefield, target player puts the top three cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you have a card in hand, return Fantasy Torturer to its owner's hand.
2/2

Fable Wright
2015-07-25, 02:14 AM
Damned Contract BBB
Enchantment - R
When ~ enters the battlefield, exile the top 5 cards of your library.
If you would draw a card, instead reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a card that shares a name with any exiled card you own. If you do, put that card into your hand the rest into your graveyard. If you don't, you lose the game.

Saposhiente
2015-07-25, 03:43 AM
What's the advantage to playing this card, beyond filling your graveyard? Also you need to fix the wording to make it clear that you can't pull random O-ring'd cards.

Ninjaman
2015-07-25, 05:50 AM
What's the advantage to playing this card, beyond filling your graveyard? Also you need to fix the wording to make it clear that you can't pull random O-ring'd cards.

I think the point is that you can do that. And it has all sorts of synergies with delve and the like, it does way more than milling yourself.

Saposhiente
2015-07-25, 01:58 PM
Oh, apparently the feature I thought was unintended was part of the point; that makes it much better. I'd change "an" to "any" to make it clearer--it's technically fine as is but violates people's expectations as it did mine.

Ninjaman
2015-07-25, 02:32 PM
Oh, apparently the feature I thought was unintended was part of the point; that makes it much better. I'd change "an" to "any" to make it clearer--it's technically fine as is but violates people's expectations as it did mine.

I'm pretty sure an is the correct wording. I'm not sure how confusing it is, there are a ton of cards that mill and then refer to cards in graveyards.

Fable Wright
2015-07-25, 02:34 PM

Change made; sorry for the confusion.

I'm pretty sure an is the correct wording. I'm not sure how confusing it is, there are a ton of cards that mill and then refer to cards in graveyards.

An is the correct wording, but using any doesn't make the card any more confusing, and might help some people grok the card at first glance better.

Tom the Mime
2015-07-25, 06:36 PM
Damned Contract BBB
Enchantment - R
If you would draw a card, instead reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a card that shares a name with any exiled card you own. If you do, put that card into your hand the rest into your graveyard. If you don't, you lose the game.
4 of these, 4 x donate and a bunch of tutors and cheap drawing and cantrips could be interesting.

Fable Wright
2015-07-25, 07:38 PM
4 of these, 4 x donate and a bunch of tutors and cheap drawing and cantrips could be interesting.

Immortal Coil had much the same reaction, even with Relic of Progenitus as a cantrip in the same set. (And Bazaar Trader in the next.) I'm not too worried about that interaction, there; in any format where that combo is legal, Force of Will and Daze do far too much work in stopping the combo. That said, with Snapcaster and Delve as engines to work with the Contract, that could indeed be interesting, though quite a few decks are in the habit of exiling some spells over the course of the game. (From Force of Will, Flashback from Cabal Therapy or Snaps, Delve, etc. there are a lot of ways to keep the combo from being an instant kill.)

Beacon of Chaos
2015-07-27, 03:39 PM
Naron, Mindcaller 1UUU
Planeswalker - Naron - MR
+2: Search your library for a card, shuffle your library, then put that card third from the top.
+0: Reveal the top two cards of your library. If both cards share a type, put them both into your hand. Otherwise, put them into your graveyard.
-7: Put a 4/4 Legendary blue Spirit creature named "Spirit of the Mind" onto the battlefield. It has flying and "U,T: Draw four cards."
<3>

Mystic Muse
2015-07-27, 03:45 PM
So...what exactly is the purpose of its first ability? I realize it can't be as good as a vampiric tutor with no lifeloss, but that still seems pretty weird.

Saposhiente
2015-07-27, 04:50 PM
It almost combos with the second ability to get rid of the two cards in the way but your draw step disrupts that plan. Still combos with draw, looting/rummaging, and scry. Or you can just put your board clear there just in case.

Blue Ghost
2015-07-27, 06:18 PM
Warden of Echo Lake 2WU
Creature - Nymph (R)
Whenever a permanent is sent to your graveyard from the battlefield, you may search your library for a card with the same name, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
2/3

Fable Wright
2015-07-27, 06:45 PM
Warden of Echo Lake 2WU
Creature - Nymph (R)
Whenever a permanent is sent to your graveyard from the battlefield, you may search your library for a card with the same name, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
2/3

This seems really good with fetches and eggs.

Blue Ghost
2015-07-27, 08:46 PM
This seems really good with fetches and eggs.

In Standard? It's a below-curve 4-mana body. It can search up additional fetches, if those are in the format, but by the point you have 4 mana (5 after cracking the fetch), the chances that you still need them are pretty low. Does it break things in Modern or Legacy? I think that's a concern for development rather than design.

Fable Wright
2015-07-27, 09:10 PM
In Standard? It's a below-curve 4-mana body. It can search up additional fetches, if those are in the format, but by the point you have 4 mana (5 after cracking the fetch), the chances that you still need them are pretty low. Does it break things in Modern or Legacy? I think that's a concern for development rather than design.

Mishra was a thing in Standard that didn't break anything, so you do have a point. On the other, this merely needs to come down on a ready board to start generating some ridiculous advantage. It also plays really well with Evoke and Shriekmaw, but it might not be too overpowered in that shell. I'm just pointing out that this has the potential to be a serious engine in the right deck.

Ninjaman
2015-07-28, 12:07 AM
Call of the Ancients - WBG
Instant - M
Search your library for a creature card, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Put that card onto the battlefield instead if it's converted mana cost is equal to or lower than the number of creature cards in your graveyard.

LaZodiac
2015-07-28, 12:19 AM
Mishra was a thing in Standard that didn't break anything, so you do have a point. On the other, this merely needs to come down on a ready board to start generating some ridiculous advantage. It also plays really well with Evoke and Shriekmaw, but it might not be too overpowered in that shell. I'm just pointing out that this has the potential to be a serious engine in the right deck.

Nothing wrong with having a crazy build around rare.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-07-28, 09:50 AM
It almost combos with the second ability to get rid of the two cards in the way but your draw step disrupts that plan. Still combos with draw, looting/rummaging, and scry. Or you can just put your board clear there just in case.
Basically this. Scry and similar stuff can potentially net you two cards instead of one with the second ability.

Made a couple of minor changes.

mystic1110
2015-07-29, 02:01 PM
Judging will be up by Friday :smallsmile:

Lea Plath
2015-07-30, 05:12 AM
Unknown Answer - 2UR
Instant - Arcane
As an additional cost to cast Unknown Answer, reveal your hand.
Reveal the top five cards of your library. Put all non-land cards who don't share a name with any card in your hand, graveyard or on the battlefield to your hand and the other into your graveyard.

Splice 1UR

Beacon of Chaos
2015-07-30, 09:40 AM
^ You'll need the spell to reveal the player's hand.

mystic1110
2015-07-31, 03:38 PM
Naron, Mindcaller 1UUU
Planeswalker - Naron - MR
+2: Search your library for a card, shuffle your library, then put that card third from the top.
+0: Reveal the top two cards of your library. If both cards share a type, put them both into your hand. Otherwise, put them into your graveyard.
-7: Put a 4/4 Legendary blue Spirit creature named "Spirit of the Mind" onto the battlefield. It has flying and "U,T: Draw four cards."
<3>

1st ability is Long Term Planning, which is a spell I love, but always thought super weak . . . That's the same problem here. Additionally it's ultimate doesn't really seem worth it either. Really you are only playing this for its +0 . . . and if you carefully construct your deck you might get a draw 2 engine for 1UUU. . . . how would you construct it? Probably something like 20 lands 4 of this and 26 instants. . . still not a great deal to be honest. In general I am having a hard time seeing how this card could be good :smallfrown:

Warden of Echo Lake 2WU
Creature - Nymph (R)
2/3Ouch. . . its a soft lock with wasteland . . . it works really well with the seal cycle. . . I like it a lot. A lot of fun combo potential with a weak body to balance it out.

Call of the Ancients - WBG
Instant - M
Search your library for a creature card, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Put that card onto the battlefield instead if it's converted mana cost is equal to or lower than the number of creature cards in your graveyard.Oooh another great card. . . its a eldarami's call with the chance to get the creature out onto the battlefield late game. Glad you used converted mana cost instead of power.

Creature - Avatar R
When you draw ~, if you drew it from your library, you may reveal ~. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
When you play ~, if you played it from your hand, you gain 7 life.
When~ is put into a graveyard from play, if it entered from your battlefield, shuffle it into your library.
Live so all will smile when you live again.
5/6
Clever if a little straightforward. It's very simple, but a very solid rare. I like the relationship between the abilities. However, this card doesn't make me say WOW which is what we want rares to do. This would really be a junk rare, powerful in draft, but never played elsewhere.

Void Whisperer 3BBB
Multicolored spheres floating in darkness
Creature - Horror
Flying
If ~ would be put into the graveyard from anywhere shuffle it into your library instead.
When ~ enters the battlefield look at up to 2 target players' hands and select up to 2 card in each. Those players must discard the selected cards and you draw a card for each card discarded this way.
"When I sleep I hear it. When I wake I don't know it. Soon all will serve it." - Irindalis Archon of Zayin
3/7 Oy that is a lot of text, but still probably would fit onto a card. In a two player game its ability would read weirdly . . . allowing you to loot two cards, draw 2 cards and make an opponent discard 2 cards. It feels like a multicolored card. . . Grixis even? Also not sure the anti grave clause is needed as their are still must better cards to reanimate.

Motivated Ghoulcaller 4B
Creature - Human Wizard (R)
When ~ enters the battlefield, search your library for any number of Zombie creature cards with total converted mana cost X and put them into your hand, where X is the number of creatures in your graveyard. Then shuffle your library.
3/3
Lets not try to think how Gisa motivates them.I really like this card, its flavorful. Really I have no criticism.

Plagarist Student - 3UU
At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal the top card of your library. If it shares a name with a permanent you control, you may put it onto the battlefield. If not, send the revealed card to the graveyard.
2/4Why do you have to reveal a card from your hand? That cost seems too small to actually matter? You can just reveal the same card over and over. In fact that's such a powerful ability, letting any mill card basically becomes a super powerful draw card. The first ability also doesn't really mesh well with the second.

and. . .

Unknown Answer - 2UR
Instant - Arcane
As an additional cost to cast Unknown Answer, reveal your hand.
Reveal the top five cards of your library. Put all non-land cards who don't share a name with any card in your hand, graveyard or on the battlefield to your hand and the other into your graveyard.

Splice 1UR

Why two cards?

Omnipotence 1WUBRG
Enchantment MR
Skip your draw step.
Each opponent plays with their hand and the top card of their library revealed. You can play any cards revealed this way and cards from any opponent's graveyard.

I have no clue how to cost this.It's like a permanent Mindslaver? It's not a great card in that it doesn't win the game when it comes down, but boy would it be super annoying to play against.

Burning Eucalyptus Ent 2RG
Creature - Treefolk U
Trample
Mountaincycling 2
Unearth 1R
4/2Clever in that you met the challenge only using reminder text, but Not a fan of this card -the unearth maybe should have been 1G or the Mountaincycling should have been forest cycling for G. . . . otherwise its weird to have it be multicolored with two abilities and none of them be Green. . . trample doesn't justify it being green.

Slifer the Sky Dragon 4BRG

Legendary Creature - Dragon Avatar MR

Flying, Menace

~ Can't be countered
Creatures your opponents' control get -2/-0

Each creature's toughness is equal to its attack (Rather than using the normal value for toughness, use its attack value instead).

~ gets +1/+1 for each card in your hand.

If ~ would leave the battlefield, you may reveal it and shuffle it into its owners' library instead.

5/5
Another long card 0 it has too many abilities. Menace and Flying are flavorful for a two headed dragon. . . but largely pointless as they are both evasion abilities. Additionally it's ability is essentially -2/2, which super powerful. . . this is essentially a Elesh Norn that doesn't boost your own creatures and is unblockable

Impending Nightmare 1BB
Creature - Demon Nightmare M
If Impending Nightmare would be put into your graveyard or library from anywhere, lose 7 life and put it onto the battlefield instead.
Impending Nightmare can't attack unless the defending player has the same number of cards in his or her hand as you.
7/7

- - - Updated - - -

This is an awesome old school feeling card. It's easy to get out( entomb for B) but it is hard to attack with and it can be killed over and over, so it's a bad card, but it just feels better than it is. Good Job.

[QUOTE=Dr.Gunsforhands;19575293]Fantasy Torturer 1(u/b)
Creature - Illusion R
When Fantasy Torturer enters the battlefield, target player puts the top three cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you have a card in hand, return Fantasy Torturer to its owner's hand.
2/2
So it's just an endless mill for three that could be killed? I like the idea - but it has the problem of all rare mill cards, which is that it is too good for limited (seriously milling for 3 turn 2 every turn in limited is 9 turn clock at the least. . . which is pretty damn good - now couple it with any other mill cards :smallamused:)

Damned Contract BBB
Enchantment - R
If you would draw a card, instead reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a card that shares a name with any exiled card you own. If you do, put that card into your hand the rest into your graveyard. If you don't, you lose the game.This is abusable somehow I just don't know how - as was mentioned, it can work well with Donate. . . but there must be another way. Essentially this card locks you into only drawing the 5 cards you exiled over and over again. . . so the trick is making sure they are good. . . but at the same time BBB for no card advantage is bad. . . hard to tell if its worth it.

This was a good round - hard to critic people's cards when they did a great job with this challenge:

Tgva8889 - I just really liked the drawbacks to this card. I want to play it and figure out a way it could be good, but I know it will never be :smallfrown:

Ninjaman for a clever Elderami's call redux.

LaZodiac for a zombie that uses dead bodies to lure zombies to the battlefield (or in this case hand). Not a powerful card, but I just liked the flavor so much.

LaZodiac
2015-07-31, 05:31 PM
Oh wow I won. Nice! Good game, as it where.

Our next contest is... Make a Legendary card that is clearly from a Plane that we know about.

Ionbound
2015-08-02, 10:08 AM
Alessia, Servant of the Ulvenwald

Legendary Creature-Human Elemental-2GG-MR

Morbid- When ~ enters the battlefield, if a creature died this turn, return a creature card at random from your graveyard to your hand.

2GG, T: Return a random creature from you graveyard to the battlefield.

There are stranger things in this world than angels, demons, and werewolves. I met them, and now I am one of them.

2/2

Mystic Muse
2015-08-02, 02:05 PM
Ihsan, Ulgrotha's last hope 3WW

Legendary Creature- Angel Knight MR

Flying, Vigilance

When ~ is cast, exile all vampires, zombies, bats and skeletons.

At the end of each turn, return ~ to its owners control.

"Serra is gone, but with her last blessing, I will atone for my sins and protect the Homelands in her stead."

4/4

Fable Wright
2015-08-02, 04:10 PM

Flying, Vigilance

When ~ is cast, exile all creatures with 'Sengir' in their name.

Whenever a black creature would deal damage to ~ destroy it instead.

"Serra is gone, but with her last blessing, I will atone for my sins and protect the Homelands in her stead."
Missing power and toughness.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-08-02, 04:12 PM
Jace's Private Bathroom 4
Legendary Artifact - MR
T: Draw a card, then discard a card.
UU, T, Sacrifice Jace's Private Bathroom: Draw 5 cards, then discard 4 cards.
The Golgari are going to have their work cut out for them today.

somethingrandom
2015-08-02, 05:56 PM
Hyrnenda, Orochi Hatching Grounds
Legendary Land MR
~ enters the battlefield tapped
T:add G to your mana poll
1GT:Put a 0/1 snake creature token on to the battle field
T,Sacrifice X snakes: Add X G mana to your mana poll spend this mana only to cast snake spells. If this mana is spent to cast a creature spell you may cast it as if it had flash.
When ~ is destroyed reveal your and and discard all snakes.

Jormengand
2015-08-02, 06:05 PM
Gate Warden 5
Legendary Artifact Creature - Construct R
Gate Warden gets +1/+1 for each gate you control.
This was made by the guilds years ago, with the agreement that they would never turn it on each other honoured by even the most chaotic factions. Indeed, they never had to activate it at all... until now.
4/4

Yes, I know gates are terrible. We need an excuse to stop them being terrible. This would preferably come with another few things that did the same thing.

Blue Ghost
2015-08-02, 06:17 PM
Edgar Markov 4BB
Legendary Creature - Elder Vampire (M)
Lifelink
Whenever another Vampire creature you control dies, you may return it to its owner's hand. If you do, its owner loses 2 life.
Whenever a creature an opponent controls dies, if it was dealt damage by a Vampire creature you control this turn, return it to the battlefield under your control. It is a Vampire in addition to its other types.
6/5

Ninjaman
2015-08-03, 12:15 AM
Edgar Markov 4BB
Other Vampire creatures you control have undying.
Whenever a creature an opponent controls dies, if it was dealt damage by a Vampire creature you control this turn, return it to the battlefield under your control. It is a Vampire in addition to its other types.
6/5

I hope you know undying says owner, so when you reanimate your opponent's creatures as vampires and they die they return to the battlefield under your opponent's control.

tgva8889
2015-08-03, 02:26 AM
The Purifying Fire 3RR
Legendary Enchantment (M)
At the beginning of your upkeep, choose one -

For target red planeswalker you control, you may activate one of its loyalty abilities once this turn as though none of its loyalty abilities have been activated this turn.
The Purifying Fire deals 2 damage to target nonred creature or nonred planeswalker.
Discard your hand, then draw that many cards.

enderlord99
2015-08-03, 03:28 AM
The Purifying Fire 3RR

For target red planeswalker you control, you may activate one of its loyalty abilities once this turn as though none of its loyalty abilities have been activated this turn.
The Purifying Fire deals 3 damage to target nonred creature or nonred planeswalker.
The Purifying Fire deals 3 damage to you.

Why would anyone choose the last one? Is it supposed to be unavoidable at some point, in order to act as a drawback?

Fable Wright
2015-08-03, 03:37 AM
Why would anyone choose the last one? Is it supposed to be unavoidable at some point, in order to act as a drawback?

If all creatures on the battlefield are red, there are no non-red Planeswalkers, and there are no red planeswalkers you control, you are still forced to choose one o the three modes. The only valid one will be three damage to yourself, and this is presumably intended to act as a drawback, yes.

Lea Plath
2015-08-03, 03:58 AM
Ghostfire Lock - 6
Legendary Enchantment - MR
Players cannot cast Eldrazi spells
Whenever a colorless, non-artifact source you control deals 3 or more damage to a creature or player, you may sacrifice Ghostfire Lock. If you do, reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a colourless, non-artifact creature card. Put that card onto the battlefield, then shuffles all other cards revealed this way into your library.

So basically Ghostfire Triggers this. Ugin triggers this. His dragon spirity things attacking trigger this. Eldrazi trigger this. It is, essentially a 9+ mana over 2 turns 2 card combo that puts an eldrazi into play.

Fable Wright
2015-08-03, 04:03 AM
Ghostfire Lock - 6
Enchantment - MR
Whenever a colorless, non-artifact source you control deals 3 or more damage to a creature or player, you may sacrifice Ghostfire Lock. If you do, reveal cards from the top of his or her library until he or she reveals a colourless, non-artifact creature card. Put that card onto the battlefield, then shuffles all other cards revealed this way into your library.

So basically Ghostfire Triggers this. Ugin triggers this. His dragon spirity things attacking trigger this. Eldrazi trigger this. It is, essentially a 9+ mana over 2 turns 2 card combo that puts an eldrazi into play.

Contest is for a Legendary permanent.

Also, should be from the top of your library, not his or her library.

Finally, have you, considered making Ghostfire lock trigger the summoning effect whenever it enters the graveyard from a battlefield, to parallel Ugin's Nexus? Could still have the self-sac trigger from colorless sources, but if the lock is destroyed in any way, the Eldrazi should burst free, right?

enderlord99
2015-08-03, 04:17 AM
If all creatures on the battlefield are red, there are no non-red Planeswalkers, and there are no red planeswalkers you control, you are still forced to choose one o the three modes. The only valid one will be three damage to yourself, and this is presumably intended to act as a drawback, yes.

If that happens, can't you just choose one of the first two, and then have it immediately be countered for having no legal targets?

Fable Wright
2015-08-03, 04:33 AM
If that happens, can't you just choose one of the first two, and then have it immediately be countered for having no legal targets?

You cannot cast a spell or activate an ability if there are no legal targets. If you cast or activate it and all legal targets are removed, then it would be countered, but if there are no legal targets in the first place, it cannot be chosen/activated/cast.

LaZodiac
2015-08-03, 08:31 AM

While I only said Legendary card, your point stands that yes, it should be legendary.

mystic1110
2015-08-03, 08:40 AM
While I only said Legendary card, your point stands that yes, it should be legendary.

Interested in what a legendary Instant would mean. . . . :smallconfused:.

Here's my entry and my take.

Oona's Counsel XUB
Legendary Instant M
(For the rest of the game, players can't cast spells that share a name with resolved Legendary instants and sorceries)
Choose a color. Each opponent exiles the top X cards of his or her library. For each card of the chosen color exiled this way, put a 1/1 blue and black Faerie Rogue creature token with flying onto the battlefield. Then draw X cards.

LaZodiac
2015-08-03, 09:19 AM

I decided to leave it open ended to see what stuff people would come up with.

tgva8889
2015-08-03, 02:54 PM
I changed The Purifying Fire to a different ability because having an obvious drawback on a 5-mana legendary enchantment didn't really feel like a thing I wanted to do. Whatever, if you cast this card it's really good. Let's throw a red control deck a bone.

Lea Plath
2015-08-03, 04:51 PM

Also, should be from the top of your library, not his or her library.

Finally, have you, considered making Ghostfire lock trigger the summoning effect whenever it enters the graveyard from a battlefield, to parallel Ugin's Nexus? Could still have the self-sac trigger from colorless sources, but if the lock is destroyed in any way, the Eldrazi should burst free, right?

True, forgot that. Also the wording.

And I like the flavour of it more how it is. If you just sacrifice it, it feels a bit lame. Vindicate. Enchantment removal. Etc. It took 3 planeswalkers and ghost fire to unlock the lock, not just some Auratog getting a bit peckish.

CantigThimble
2015-08-04, 09:39 AM
Auntie Istvaan 2BB
Creature - Auntie Istvaan R
Creatures have deathtouch.
Whenever a creature you control blocks, each opponent loses 3 life.
2/4

If you want to be really boring I suppose she could be considered a human wizard.

braveheart
2015-08-05, 01:12 PM
Prototype Workshop XUURR
Legendary Artifact - R
~ enters the battlefield with X charge counters on it
At the beginning of your upkeep place a charge counter in ~
At the end of your upkeep look at the top card of your library, if it is a land card you may reveal it, put it on the bottom f your library, then look at the top card of your library, if it is a spell, you may cast it, reducing its mana cost by (Y), where Y is the number of charge counters on ~

Beacon of Chaos
2015-08-06, 05:58 AM
Anya, Boros General 3(R/W)(R/W)

Legendary Creature - Human Soldier - R

Vigilance, Double Strike

Creatures with first strike you control have double strike.

Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage, you may put a +1/+1 counter on it.

2/4

LaZodiac
2015-08-07, 04:18 PM
JUDGEMENT!

Alessia, Servant of the Ulvenwald

Legendary Creature-Human Elemental-2GG-MR

Morbid- When ~ enters the battlefield, if a creature died this turn, return a creature card at random from your graveyard to your hand.

2GG, T: Return a random creature from you graveyard to the battlefield.

There are stranger things in this world than angels, demons, and werewolves. I met them, and now I am one of them.

2/2

Hmm...I like it. Her paid ability is like constantly resummoning her with Morbid on. I'm just not sure it fits Innistrad, since the elementals that ARE there, are red. It's a perfectly good card though.

Flying, Vigilance

When ~ is cast, exile all vampires, zombies, bats and skeletons.

At the end of each turn, return ~ to its owners control.

4/4

Aaaah I really do like this. On the surface it's a Serra Angel, which is fine. Nice strong white flyer. But it's ability is very flavorful. It exiles everything the Sengir use beyond the most base of humans, which is sensible. I'm a little iffy on why it bounces itself to the hand every turn, but I guess it's more he's trying to make sure he's always on guard for if enemies show up?

Jace's Private Bathroom 4
Legendary Artifact - MR
T: Draw a card, then discard a card.
UU, T, Sacrifice Jace's Private Bathroom: Draw 5 cards, then discard 4 cards.
The Golgari are going to have their work cut out for them today.

Well this is interesting. I think 4 might be a little cheap for an infinite Loot engine. It's ability to destroy itself to...draw 5 cards and then discard all but one of them is kinda weird. I also don't like it because, while joke-y cards are fine, this is not a very good joke. Good on you for making a non creature. But yeah no, this...isn't very good flavor wise.

Hyrnenda, Orochi Hatching Grounds
Legendary Land MR
~ enters the battlefield tapped
T:add G to your mana poll
1GT:Put a 0/1 snake creature token on to the battle field
T,Sacrifice X snakes: Add X G mana to your mana poll spend this mana only to cast snake spells. If this mana is spent to cast a creature spell you may cast it as if it had flash.
When ~ is destroyed reveal your and and discard all snakes.

Now this is interesting. Points for trying out a non creature. It's got a looot of text on it, and most of it is alright and it does feel in flavor (though it should be 1/1 Green snake creature tokes, right now they're colourless). I think limiting it to just snake spells is a little TO much, though I like the idea of giving it flash. It's final ability isn't really a thing at all and I don't know why it's there.

Gate Warden 5
Legendary Artifact Creature - Construct R
Gate Warden gets +1/+1 for each gate you control.
This was made by the guilds years ago, with the agreement that they would never turn it on each other honoured by even the most chaotic factions. Indeed, they never had to activate it at all... until now.
4/4

Yes, I know gates are terrible. We need an excuse to stop them being terrible. This would preferably come with another few things that did the same thing.

I think this is a really good card, I think. 5 mana 4/4 seems on cost for an artifact. I like how it makes gates worth playing! I'm not sure how flavorful it is with Ravnica though. Like, it's good, but I feel like it's lacking something. Maybe something like the Trans Guild Courier's "yo I'm all colours" ability. Since I imagine this card is made to be along the same lines as Trans Guild Courier, in that he's made by the guilds as something they kinda need. Also I think the name is a little small for a legendary creature. I could see there being lots of these guys.

Edgar Markov 4BB
Lifelink
Whenever another Vampire creature you control dies, you may return it to its owner's hand. If you do, its owner loses 2 life.
6/5

This is really good! I like the small bend to make use of Elder, because if anyone deserves it it'd be this guy. His abilities are super flavorful, and I like how he even sorta hurts the opponent even if they escape him.

The Purifying Fire 3RR

The Purifying Fire deals 2 damage to target nonred creature or nonred planeswalker.
Discard your hand, then draw that many cards.

This is interesting! Points for making a non-create. It's abilities are all really red and good. I like all it's modes, and I like how it's last one is a double edged sword. I feel like it miiight be a little too much card digging for red, or that it might be better to have it be the Exile Draw style thing they've been doing for Red lately, where you exile cards and you can cast them as if they where in your hand, stuff like that. The only thing that falters with it is that The Purifying Fire is literally White. Like, it's made of White mana, it...it should be a white card. It's used by a bunch of Hieromancers to enforce law. This is really unfortunate because your card is really cool and red and I love it but the flavor is just completely wrong. Great design, wrong subject.

Ghostfire Lock - 6
Legendary Enchantment - MR
Whenever a colorless, non-artifact source you control deals 3 or more damage to a creature or player, you may sacrifice Ghostfire Lock. If you do, reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a colourless, non-artifact creature card. Put that card onto the battlefield, then shuffles all other cards revealed this way into your library.

This is certainly interesting. Props for trying a non-creature. I think it's got some problems though. Mechanically it's fine enough, but flavor wise it's just not there. What you're basically trying to make is the "closed" version of Eye of Ugin, since that's the thing that keeps all the Hedron's locked. So it should be either an artifact or land, not an enchantment. I also think that it should be a tiny bit harder to unseal the Eldrazi then just casting Ghostfire. A lot of other stuff was going down in that chamber before Chandra's use of it caused it to unseal.

Oona's Counsel XUB
Legendary Instant M
(For the rest of the game, players can't cast spells that share a name with resolved Legendary instants and sorceries)
Choose a color. Each opponent exiles the top X cards of his or her library. For each card of the chosen color exiled this way, put a 1/1 blue and black Faerie Rogue creature token with flying onto the battlefield. Then draw X cards.

Props for trying the hardest type of non creature legendary. It's effect should be "the player who cast this" though, since Legendary allows for two players to have the same legendary on their side of the field. I really like this card since it's basically a gigantic version of Oona's own ability. My only problem with it is that unless there are more then one opponent this card shouldn't be legendary. Heck even as it is, in a four player match this still might really be only getting you one person's worth of fairies. I'd personally change it so that you pick a color for each opponent. The legendary drawback on spells like this is quite real, so it should have some sort of benefit to make it better. That said I do like it!

Auntie Istvaan 2BB
Creature - Auntie Istvaan R
Creatures have deathtouch.
Whenever a creature you control blocks, each opponent loses 3 life.
2/4

If you want to be really boring I suppose she could be considered a human wizard.

Okay this is cute. I like how she's a more defensive oriented card then Uncle Istvan (it's Istvan, not Istvaan, by the way). Silly card, but I like it. My problems with it is that it's not actually legendary. Oops.

Prototype Workshop XUURR
Legendary Artifact - R
~ enters the battlefield with X charge counters on it
At the beginning of your upkeep place a charge counter in ~
At the end of your upkeep look at the top card of your library, if it is a land card you may reveal it, put it on the bottom f your library, then look at the top card of your library, if it is a spell, you may cast it, reducing its mana cost by (Y), where Y is the number of charge counters on ~

Eeeeh. Okay, so, you're probably not going to play this card with X as anything other then maybe 1. It gains charge counters for free, which I suppose is alright. However, it's second ability is nooot formatted correctly at all. The way it's written now, you only get to cast the spell if you revealed a land. So that's not good. I also really, really think the timings for these two abilities should be reversed. Charge counters at the end of your turn, do the special prototyping stuff at the start of your turn. Also, what's the flavor here? It does ANYTHING. You built a lion, you built a fireball, it should really only care about artifacts, or do something involving artifacts. Maybe have it so that you make Thopters equal to the CMC of the revealed card instead or something? I say thopters because I'm assuming this is from Kaladesh. It might also be from Ravnica, which would fit the ability more since the Izzet WOULD do something like this, but then it's name doesn't fit the flavor at all. Also I just realized this is a coloured artifact, which I don't mind but none of these places really have that. I'm okay with coloured artifacts, but I don't think this one works. Also wow it's Rare instead of Mythic Rare, with this much text?

Anya, Boros General 3(R/W)(R/W)

Legendary Creature - Human Soldier - R

Vigilance, Double Strike

Creatures with first strike you control have double strike.

Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage, you may put a +1/+1 counter on it.

2/4

Hmm, this is an interesting one! She's not an angel, which is odd for a high ranking person in the Boros but still sensible. Her stats seem a little small given she costs 5. But oh jeez her ability. Vigilance and Double Strike is always a great one, and the ability to turn first strikers into double strikers is one I'm actually surprised isn't in the game yet. My only problem with her is that I don't get the counter theme on her. Boros is one of the only guilds that explicitly DON'T use counters. So I think that ability is off. That said the flavor is pretty good, the Boros hit things hard and she's a General that makes sure they hit harder.

Oof, this was a hard one. We had a few really good ones, but overall I've decided on a winner.

Runner up: Blue Ghost with Edgar Markov! This is a really solid damn card, both mechanics and flavor wise. The only thing I feel it's missing, and even then it's such a small thing, is something that at least points to Edgar's original vampirism being alchemical in nature, the knowledge and resources required to make it being gained from making a pact with a demon.

Winner: Mystic Muse, with Ihsan, Ulgrotha's Last Hope! While it's not as fancy or splashy as some of the other contestants are, I feel this one wins out in the "clearly from a specific plane" category. This bad boy turned good shows up and he gets rid of anyone who's remotely tied to the Sengir except for humans, who can be saved. I quite like it, and think it's worth the win.

tgva8889
2015-08-07, 04:47 PM
Whoops, you're right, the Purifying Fire is totally a white thing. :smallredface:

CantigThimble
2015-08-07, 05:04 PM
My bad on the name and legendaryness, and the design was to make it combo with uncle.

LaZodiac
2015-08-07, 05:08 PM
Whoops, you're right, the Purifying Fire is totally a white thing. :smallredface:

It happens! Regatha is fairly unknown so I'm not surprised someone shooting for a card flavored from it might make a mistake or two.

My bad on the name and legendaryness, and the design was to make it combo with uncle.

Huh, didn't think of that actually. Neat design!

Beacon of Chaos
2015-08-07, 05:19 PM
Hmm, this is an interesting one! She's not an angel, which is odd for a high ranking person in the Boros but still sensible. Her stats seem a little small given she costs 5. But oh jeez her ability. Vigilance and Double Strike is always a great one, and the ability to turn first strikers into double strikers is one I'm actually surprised isn't in the game yet. My only problem with her is that I don't get the counter theme on her. Boros is one of the only guilds that explicitly DON'T use counters. So I think that ability is off. That said the flavor is pretty good, the Boros hit things hard and she's a General that makes sure they hit harder.
Hmm, didn't realise that Boros don't use counters. Also, I must admit to knowing very little about Ravnica beyond what was shown in the first two sets, so I didn't think her not being an angel was notable.

Anyway, congrats to the winner!

LaZodiac
2015-08-07, 05:24 PM
Hmm, didn't realise that Boros don't use counters. Also, I must admit to knowing very little about Ravnica beyond what was shown in the first two sets, so I didn't think her not being an angel was notable.

Anyway, congrats to the winner!

Being a non angel is only notable in that it means "wow this person must be a hard as hell badass" since the only other named human character of exceptionally high rank, once he died, just got up and went back to work as a ghost. Boros men don't let a thing such as death stop them from work. So I'd hope the character yo made is just as badass. Making first strike into doublestrike IS pretty badass. And yeah all the White guilds don't use counters. Boros, Azorious, Orzhov, and Selesnya.

Mystic Muse
2015-08-07, 05:39 PM
I know this is non-traditional, but I have two different prompts I want to use, and want to give an alternative in case the first is too narrow.

1. Make a card based off of iconic cards from the original Yugioh anime. Season zero counts too.

2. Make a giant robot. things like the collosuses, phyrexian dreadnaught, ETC.

I like really exciting things, so even if something is well designed, if it's not at least rare, it probably won't win.

LaZodiac
2015-08-07, 06:39 PM
Valkyrion, Bant's Iron Shield 4WWU
Legendary Artifact Creature - Angel (MR)
Flying
~ can block any number of creatures.
When ~ dies, put three 2/2 White warrior artifact creature tokens with Exalted onto the field.
Esper steel for a body, Bant iron for a will
4/5

Valkyrion (http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Valkyrion%20Bants%20Iron%20Shield_zps1f8qdoy0.jpg)

And (http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Alpha%20Token_zpsztnoiekt.jpg), his (http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Beta%20Token_zpsrrjvlykx.jpg)tokens. (http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Gamma%20Token_zpsrsbcn50f.jpg)

Ionbound
2015-08-07, 11:31 PM
@LaZodiac: I was referencing Essence of the Wild (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=254133) and Ranger's Guile (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=249973), among other things. I figure if there is a Return to Innistrad block, it'll deal more with the things that aren't Angels or Demons, but live out in the Ulvenwald.

onasuma
2015-08-08, 02:28 AM
Why not both?

Jinzo 3UUR
Artifact Creature - Mutant Construct R
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, if it is not bottom of the stack, counter it.
5/3

Fable Wright
2015-08-08, 03:01 AM
Millennium Puzzle
Legendary Artifact MR
(Spells with nonexistant mana costs can't be played.)
When there are three or more charge counters on Millennium Puzzle, exile it and return it to the battlefield transformed.

///////////////////

Pharaoh, Soul of the Puzzle
Planeswalker - Atem
+2: Search your library for a card and put that card into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
-1: You may choose a card you own from outside the game and put that card into your hand.
-12: Search your hand and library for any number of cards, exile them, then shuffle your library. Until end of turn, you may cast cards exiled this way without paying their mana costs.
(3)

LaZodiac
2015-08-08, 03:08 AM
Uh, DM. Not for nothing but I think you missed the mana cost. I'm also not sure how you'd get charge counters on it beyond using other cards but maybe that's the point.

Fable Wright
2015-08-08, 03:10 AM
Uh, DM. Not for nothing but I think you missed the mana cost. I'm also not sure how you'd get charge counters on it beyond using other cards but maybe that's the point.

Note the reminder text saying that spells with nonexistent mana costs cannot be played.

That said, quite a trial to solve the puzzle, no?

Tom the Mime
2015-08-08, 05:38 AM
Millennium Puzzle
Legendary Artifact MR
When there are three or more charge counters on Millennium Puzzle, exile it and return it to the battlefield transformed.

///////////////////

Planeswalker - Atem
+2: Search your library for a card and put that card into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
-1: You may choose a card you own from outside the game and put that card into your hand.
-12: Search your hand and library for any number of cards, exile them, then shuffle your library. Until end of turn, you may cast cards exiled this way without paying their mana costs.
(3)
I do like how it seems "The heart of the cards " is interpreted as cheating cards into your hand. Always seemed like mentioning that was meant to distract your opponent to look somewhere else while you cheated and stacked your deck.

Mystic Muse
2015-08-08, 06:31 AM
Canonically, Atem actually willed it to be whatever card he needed it to be at the time, so even though he wasn't stacking the deck, he WAS cheating.

LaZodiac
2015-08-08, 09:25 AM
Yeah Heart of the Cards is literally cheating. It's outright said in the manga that as long as he could concievably own the card, it can be on the top of his deck whenever he wants. Which makes the "from outside the game" ability basically an amazing flavor win and I love it.

Fable Wright
2015-08-08, 02:03 PM
Oh, and just for fun:

The Millennium Rod
Legendary Artifact - (Un)-MR
(Spells with nonexistant mana costs cannot be played.)
{T}: If one of target player's names or nicknames is 'Steve', you control that player during their next turn.
"You Steves aren't going to get away with this! My boyfriend plays card games and he'll kick all your butts!"
-Téa Gardner, YuGiOh: The Abridged Series

Ionbound
2015-08-08, 10:48 PM
Well, since we seem to be on that schtick...Every Pharoah needs an adversary.

Millennium Ring-
Legendary Artifact-Equipment-MR

Each upkeep, if Millennium Ring is attached to a creature, put a possession counter on ~.

If Millennium Ring has more than 1 possession counter on it, exile the it and the creature it is attached to, then return ~ to the battlefield transformed.

Equip-2

//////////
Bakura, Scion of Kul Elna
Planeswalker-Bakura-MR
+2: Your opponent chooses one: Sacrifice a creature; Discard a card; Your opponent draws a card.
-2: Gain control of target creature.
-8: Put a legendary 6/6 black Demon token with Indestructible and Annihilator 1 named Zorc Necrophades on the battlefield under your control.

LaZodiac
2015-08-08, 10:51 PM
Missing either a mana cost or the "nonexistent mana cost" rider. I think the first power is a little troublesome because unless I'm mistaken they can pick to discard a card if they have no cards in hand (I don't recall) and you're missing the creature type for good ole Zorc (it'd be demon probably).

Ionbound
2015-08-08, 11:01 PM
Really? I thought the implication of the 'choose one' cards is that you must choose a valid action. According to the ruling on Bant Charm: 'You can choose a mode only if you can choose legal targets for that mode. If you can't choose legal targets for any of the modes, you can't cast the spell.' So if you don't have a card to discard, you can't choose that one? I think? But valid points on the others.

Fable Wright
2015-08-08, 11:49 PM

Millennium Ring-

Each upkeep, if Millennium Ring is attached to a creature, put a possession counter on ~.

If Millennium Ring has more than 3 possession counters on it, exile the it and the creature it is attached to, then return ~ to the battlefield transformed.

Equip-2

//////////
Planeswalker-Bakura-MR
+2: Your opponent chooses one: Sacrifice a creature; Discard a card; Your opponent draws a card.
-11: Put a legendary 6/6 black Demon token with Indestructible and Annihilator 1 named Zorc Necrophades on the battlefield under your control.
Three turns after cheating it into play might be a bit of an excessive restriction for a card whose +2 is worse than drawing a card. And given that the millennium artifacts (in my take on it, of course; please, feel absolutely free to interpret them as you see fit) much like the God-weapons of Theros (i.e., legendary equipment that only planeswalkers wield, not creatures), perhaps have the equipment 'possess' the caster? Something like "Sacrifice a Planeswalker: Exile ~ and return it to the battlefield transformed", indicating the backstabbing tendencies of Zorc, perhaps?

That said, the +2 could be a bit better. Making it a choice just makes it worse. If you want the flavor of agonizing decisions, something like a Smallpox effect there would be better; it's brutal and hits all aspects of the game without being unfair. Also that ultimate is way too expensive. A -7 or 8 I could see. But at 11? Not worth it.

Lea Plath
2015-08-09, 03:15 AM
Mystical Space Typhoon U
Instant
Destroy Target Instant or Sorcery
"Dark Hole" "MST your Dark Hole" "... You know it doesn't negate, right?"

Now, the actual one.

Polymerization 1UG
Sorcery
As an additional cost to sacrifice Polymerization, cast a creature and discard a creature card.
Search your deck for a creature with the same color as the discarded card and same creature type as the sacrificed creature, reveal it, and put it into play. Then, shuffle your deck.

I'm not sure on the wording, but it is basically my attempt to make the Polymerization card from YuGiOh work. Big cost, but can be done turn 3 to get out something huge fairly easily. If countered, you get sad.

tgva8889
2015-08-09, 05:33 AM
You literally asked for this. I would argue that this card is pretty iconic in that this card is the reason I wanted to play Yu-Gi-Oh, but if you don't think so that's your choice.

XYZ-Dragon Cannon 8
Artifact Creature - Dragon Construct (M)
XYZ-Dragon Cannon can't be put onto the battlefield unless it is from outside the game. (This includes the stack. If it would resolve, exile it instead.)
Reveal XYZ-Dragon Cannon from outside the game, exile a card named X-Head Cannon, a card named Y-Dragon Head, and a card named Z-Metal Tank you control: Put this card you own onto the battlefield from outside the game.
Discard a card: Destroy target permanent your opponent controls.
7/7

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131030132134/yugioh/images/f/f3/XYZDragonCannon-DPKB-EN-SR-UE.png

Mystic Muse
2015-08-09, 06:38 AM
XYZ Dragon cannon counts, yes.

Demon Prince
2015-08-09, 06:48 AM
Ironforge Spirit
2R
Creature--Spirit (R)

Flying
Every time an artifact is destroyed, put a +1/+1 counter on Ironforge Spirit.
Remove all +1/+1 counters on Ironforge Spirit: Regenerate Ironforge Spirit

0/1

"Gods, I don't even know how it got in here. The armory just up and attacked us."
--Armon Pallas, Human Soldier

----------------------------------------------

It may not seem like it at first, but I'm gunning for the giant robot category.

Duck999
2015-08-09, 06:55 AM
As an additional cost to sacrifice Polymerization

You might want to fix that.

Kuriboh W
Creature-Angel U
Flash
Evoke 0 (You may cast this spell for its evoke cost. If you do, it's sacrificed when it enters the battlefield.)
When Kuriboh enters the battlefield, prevent all combat damage dealt by target creature your opponent controls this turn.
1/1

Mystic Muse
2015-08-09, 07:02 AM
Ironforge Spirit
2R
Creature--Spirit

Flying
Every time an artifact, artifact land, or artifact creature is destroyed, put a +1/+1 counter on Ironforge Spirit.

0/1

"Gods, I don't even know how it got in here. The armory just up and attacked us."

It needs a rarity, and you can just say 'artifact', you don't need to specify other types of artifacts like artifact creatures.

Demon Prince
2015-08-09, 07:22 AM
It needs a rarity, and you can just say 'artifact', you don't need to specify other types of artifacts like artifact creatures.

Done and done. :smallsmile:

Ionbound
2015-08-09, 12:32 PM
And just as a bit of flavor for the Duel Monsters block, the High Priest himself:

Akhenaden, High Priest of Darkness-2BB

Legendary Creature-Human Cleric-R

T, Sacrifice a creature; Place an artifact with 'Millennium' in it's name onto the field from your hand under your control.

If an artifact with 'Millennium' in it's name enters the battlefield under your opponent's control, place ~ under their control.

2/2

Jormengand
2015-08-09, 01:11 PM
Heart of the Underdog 2R
Enchantment - R
Whenever you draw a card, you may reveal it. If you do and it has no abilities, you may draw a card.
With this gift, you may finally win the duel.

mystic1110
2015-08-09, 01:24 PM
Relinquish 2UB
Creature - Horror M
At the beginning of your upkeep you may exile target creature an opponent controls. If you do you may cast it without paying it's mana cost. If you cast it this way it's an Aura spell with enchant a creature named Relinquish and "enchanted creature has +X/+Y, where X this card's power and Y is its toughness." That aura becomes a creature again if it's not attached to a creature, and its owner gains control of it.
0/1

CantigThimble
2015-08-09, 03:34 PM
Reliquary Golem 5
Creature - Golem R
When reliquary golem enters the battlefield exile any number of equipment cards from your hand or the battlefield under your control.
Reliquary golem gains +2/+2 for each card exiled with it.
When Reliquary Golem dies put all cards exiled with it onto the battlefield under your control.
3/3

Blue Ghost
2015-08-09, 11:05 PM
Black Skull Dragon 3BR
Creature - Demon Dragon (M)
Flying
As an additional cost to cast Black Skull Dragon, you may exile up to one Demon creature you control and up to one Dragon creature you control. If you do, Black Skull Dragon enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters, where X is the number of creatures exiled this way. Black Skull Dragon gains all abilities of creatures exiled this way.
5/5

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Black%20Skull%20Dragon_zpspyelefg5.jpg

Beacon of Chaos
2015-08-10, 06:14 AM
Catapult Turtle 5

Artifact Creature - Turtle Construct R

1,T,Sacrifice a creature: Deal damage equal to half the sacrificed creature's power, rounded up, to target player. Activate only as a sorcery.

1BR,T,Sacrifice a creature: Destroy target creature. If that creature was an artifact with flying, it deals damage equal to its toughness to each other creature its controller controls. Activate only as a sorcery.

"This card game is a load of bollocks." - Bakura, YGOTAS

2/4

Tom the Mime
2015-08-10, 10:31 PM
I think the forum ate my earlier post.

Magical hats 4UU
Instant - R
Exile up to 4 creatures you control and up to 4 - X cards from your hand, where X is the number of creatures exiled with ~, and put them all in a face down pile. Shuffle that pile then manifest those cards.

Some of the wording taken from Jeskai infiltrator. And now I have magical Trevor stuck in my head.

Ninjaman
2015-08-11, 03:59 AM
Witch of the Black Forest - 1BB
Creature - Human Wizard - R
When Witch of the Black Forest dies, search your library for a creature card with toughness 3 or less, reveal it, and put it into your hand.
2/2

braveheart
2015-08-11, 04:59 PM
Overheating Assault Golem 4R
Artifact Creature - Construct - R
Whenever ~ deals combat damage put a -1/-1 counter on it
(2R): remove all -1/-1 counters from ~ and deal 1 damage to X target creatures, where X is the number of -1/-1 counters removed this way
6/6

Beacon of Chaos
2015-08-11, 05:18 PM
Silly non-entry:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DiegoHavoc/1439331030378513.png (http://s70.photobucket.com/user/DiegoHavoc/media/1439331030378513.png.html)

Zaydos
2015-08-11, 05:36 PM
Time Wizard 1R
Creature - Wizard
3R, T: Flip a coin. If you win destroy all creatures your opponents control. If you lose destroy all creatures you control.
3R, T, sacrifice Time Wizard and a dragon: Search your library for a dragon and put it onto the battlefield.
0/1

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-08-11, 07:37 PM
Dark Magician Girl 2(u/b)(b/r)
Creature - Human Wizard MR
Whenever Dark Magician Girl attacks, it gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the total number of Wizard creature cards in all graveyards.
Discard a card: Choose a Wizard creature card in your graveyard. Dark Magician Girl gains all abilities of the chosen card until end of turn.
2/5

So, I remembered Dark Magician being someone's favorite card, so I looked it up and found that it was just a big mono-black creature. But, I also remembered that this was a thing, and its ability was much more interesting... on the show. Looking at the card, I don't need to know how to play Yu-Gi-Oh to understand that it's actually kind of lame. MM demands flash and excitement!

So, I considered how the mechanic worked on the show. The point is to draw power from other wizards that came and went earlier in the game, which in Garbage Toilets pretty much just means attack power... but in M:tG, wizards dark or otherwise are generally utility creatures. Why can't she draw on that kind of power from them? Now, she can, and the discard has synergy with her first ability to boot.

She's supposed to be a black mage, and her graveyard-centric ability definitely points to black, but her attack effect is also kind of red and her derpy wizardry is also kind of blue, so she could probably get away with being an Izzet creature too. I don't know if factions are even a thing in Yu-Gi-Oh, but this is clearly supposed to be in the Wizard deck first and in the Dark deck second, so the Izzet Intern mana cost is what I wound up with.

EDIT: Took away flying to save a line of text. Thanks to her last ability, she can just get Flying from Meloku or Niv-Mizzet or something.

somethingrandom
2015-08-13, 08:01 AM
Swords of Revealing Light 3W
Enchantment R
At the beginning of your upkeep put a time counter on ~ if it has 3 time counters on it sacrifice it.
When ~ enters the battlefield reveal all face down creatures.
Creatures can not attack you

Ionbound
2015-08-13, 04:16 PM
In Yugioh, color (or attribute as it's called in-game) really isn't a big deal, for the most part. There are a few decks that are all attribute-focused, and most types have an associated attribute (Most wizards and fiends are Dark, for example), but type is far, far more important, and there are far more abilities that key off of what type a creature is, rather than what attribute it is.

Blue Ghost
2015-08-13, 04:26 PM
In Yugioh, color (or attribute as it's called in-game) really isn't a big deal, for the most part. There are a few decks that are all attribute-focused, and most types have an associated attribute (Most wizards and fiends are Dark, for example), but type is far, far more important, and there are far more abilities that key off of what type a creature is, rather than what attribute it is.

Some decks are attribute- or type-based, but at least at the time I played, the majority of factions were name-based. Cards that have a certain word in their name, that kind of stuff. Attribute and type are more general groupings.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-08-13, 09:07 PM
Yeah, that seems like how it worked originally. D-Mag Girl actually had just two specific cards to key off of, which sounds exceedingly terrible? They made a big deal of it on the show, but it probably wouldn't be viable in an actual game.

They don't like using name-based association in M:tG, but at least Wizard is a bit more specific than, "Spellcaster." :smalltongue:

Mystic Muse
2015-08-14, 07:17 AM
Judging will start at approximately 9 PM EST, barring any unforeseen circumstances.

If not done by then, it probably means I'm at FNM and will do it shortly after getting home.

Mystic Muse
2015-08-14, 02:22 PM
Judging early due to sleep deprivation.

Valkyrion, Bant's Iron Shield 4WWU
Legendary Artifact Creature - Angel (MR)
Flying
~ can block any number of creatures.
When ~ dies, put three 2/2 White warrior artifact creature tokens with Exalted onto the field.
Esper steel for a body, Bant iron for a will
4/5

Valkyrion (http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Valkyrion%20Bants%20Iron%20Shield_zps1f8qdoy0.jpg)

And (http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Alpha%20Token_zpsztnoiekt.jpg), his (http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Beta%20Token_zpsrrjvlykx.jpg)tokens. (http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Gamma%20Token_zpsrsbcn50f.jpg)

My issue with Valkyrion is that he doesn't feel bomb-y enough. A 4/5 with flying for 7 on a mythic is fairly underwhelming, and while his abilities are good, they just don't provide me with that "Wow" factor I was hoping for.

Ironforge Spirit
2R
Creature--Spirit (R)

Flying
Every time an artifact is destroyed, put a +1/+1 counter on Ironforge Spirit.

0/1

I can kind of see what you were trying to go for here, but sadly, it just doesn't quite work.

For it to be their own armory up and attacking them, it should get a boost based on the amount of artifacts either you or your opponent control's. It getting counters for destroyed artifacts would be more like an incinerator type thing.

Even disregarding that, I'm not really sure in what way this is a robot, sorry.

Why not both?

Jinzo 3UUR
Artifact Creature - Mutant Construct R
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, if it is not bottom of the stack, counter it.
5/3

Ah Jinzo, I used to have one of him, and am quite sad I no longer do.

Anyway, unfortunately, I can't quite tell if this even works. Even if it does, Jinzo specifically made it so one couldn't use traps, whereas this potentially counters everything.

Millennium Puzzle
Legendary Artifact MR

///////////////////

Planeswalker - Atem
(3)

THIS I like. It's a very well done card, an interesting take on a flipwalker, and it's a puzzle to transform (Though I know of at least one way off the top of my head).

Atem is very strong, but given the amount of hoops you have to jump through to get him out, he isn't broken. I would adore opening up this card in a pack.

Polymerization 1UG
Sorcery
As an additional cost to cast Polymerization, sacrifice a creature and discard a creature card.
Search your library for a creature with the same color as the discarded card and same creature type as the sacrificed creature, reveal it, and put it onto the battlefield. Then, shuffle your library.

Wording fixed a little. Anyway, as for the card itself, it doesn't quite work for me. For it to be Polymerization, it should let you use cards in play, in your hand, or both, not require one of each. Even disregarding that, this seems very unbalanced in that it pretty much either does nothing (Gets countered, you don't have the required cards, ETC.) Or you just win (Turn 3 Progenitus).

Also, you forgot to put in a rarity.

Millennium Ring-

If Millennium Ring has more than 1 possession counter on it, exile the it and the creature it is attached to, then return ~ to the battlefield transformed.

Equip-2

//////////
Planeswalker-Bakura-MR
-8: Put a legendary 6/6 black Demon token with Indestructible and Annihilator 1 named Zorc Necrophades on the battlefield under your control.

Honestly, something about this just doesn't feel as neat as Atem. Here are the main issues I have with it

1. The first planeswalker ability, since it gives your opponent the choice, is not as good as you might think. The other thing is, he can choose either of the first two if they don't affect him (Which they might not, depending on the deck you're playing against) or the third if they have some way to make that effect good, which they might.

Its second ability is quite good on the other hand. I'm assuming that the permanent control is intentional here, and it's an ability worth trying to flip the ring for.

Its last ability, unfortunately, feels fairly underwhelming. You're essentially jumping through all these hoops for a an indestructible hand of Emrakul (http://magiccards.info/roe/en/5.html)

Overall, it's just not as exciting as I was hoping for.

You literally asked for this. I would argue that this card is pretty iconic in that this card is the reason I wanted to play Yu-Gi-Oh, but if you don't think so that's your choice.

XYZ-Dragon Cannon 8
Artifact Creature - Dragon Construct (M)
XYZ-Dragon Cannon can't be put onto the battlefield unless it is from outside the game. (This includes the stack. If it would resolve, exile it instead.)
Reveal XYZ-Dragon Cannon from outside the game, exile a card named X-Head Cannon, a card named Y-Dragon Head, and a card named Z-Metal Tank you control: Put this card you own onto the battlefield from outside the game.
Discard a card: Destroy target permanent your opponent controls.
7/7

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131030132134/yugioh/images/f/f3/XYZDragonCannon-DPKB-EN-SR-UE.png

Okay, this is the exact sort of thing I had in mind as well. It's really bizarre, isn't very similar to anything else, and is quite a good representation of the card it's based on. I would be happy to put this card in a "Giant Robots" deck.

Relinquish 2UB
Creature - Horror M
At the beginning of your upkeep you may exile target creature an opponent controls. If you do you may cast it without paying it's mana cost. If you cast it this way it's an Aura spell with enchant a creature named Relinquish and "enchanted creature has +X/+Y, where X this card's power and Y is its toughness." That aura becomes a creature again if it's not attached to a creature, and its owner gains control of it.
0/1

This is a really neat idea, but the execution is a little bland. A static power/toughness boost, even with the slow bleed style of play this enables, just doesn't seem like quite enough to get me excited.

Heart of the Underdog 2R
Enchantment - R
Whenever you draw a card, you may reveal it. If you do and it has no abilities, you may draw a card.
With this gift, you may finally win the duel.

Ah, the Joey Wheeler card.

The problem with this card is the same problem I have with Muraganda Petroglyphs; It encourages decks to be very same-y, by encouraging them to play lots of vanilla creatures. This is a very weird card in that it's the sort of thing you want to build around, but the only way to build around it is by reducing the amount of synergy you can put in the rest of your deck.

Kuriboh W
Creature-Angel U
Flash
Evoke 0 (You may cast this spell for its evoke cost. If you do, it's sacrificed when it enters the battlefield.)
When Kuriboh enters the battlefield, prevent all combat damage dealt by target creature your opponent controls this turn.
1/1

Ah, one of my favorite staples of Atem's deck: Pimpslapping his opponents with glorified pompoms.

Unfortunately, two issues with this card. The first is, Kuriboh's effect was a straight up fog, which wouldn't have been all that overpowered at 0 mana, or if it were, you could just make its evoke cost W.

The other is, base Kuriboh is a fiend type, not angel. Winged Kuriboh would make sense as an angel, but with base Kuriboh being both a dark attribute and fiend type monster, I feel like it being white, and an angel, is a little off.

Reliquary Golem 5
Creature - Golem R
When reliquary golem enters the battlefield exile any number of equipment cards from your hand or the battlefield under your control.
Reliquary golem gains +2/+2 for each card exiled with it.
When Reliquary Golem dies put all cards exiled with it onto the battlefield under your control.
3/3

This is actually quite a neat idea. Goes into any equipment centered deck in EDH, and can be used to cheat out very high cost things with the right sort of stuff out. Not exciting on its face, but I can see the potential.

Black Skull Dragon 3BR
Creature - Demon Dragon (M)
Flying
As an additional cost to cast Black Skull Dragon, you may exile up to one Demon creature you control and up to one Dragon creature you control. If you do, Black Skull Dragon enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters, where X is the number of creatures exiled this way. Black Skull Dragon gains all abilities of creatures exiled this way.
5/5

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Black%20Skull%20Dragon_zpspyelefg5.jpg

Unfortunately, despite this being in theory the exact type of card I would get excited over, it just doesn't really do anything for me.

The issue I have with it is, what combinations are there that are greater than the sum of their parts, when it comes to demons and dragons? It could be a bit more appealing if it could become stronger than a 7/7, but with that being the cap, and me being unable to think of any cards you would want to exile to this, I unfortunately can't give it the win.

Catapult Turtle 5

Artifact Creature - Turtle Construct R

1,T,Sacrifice a creature: Deal damage equal to half the sacrificed creature's power, rounded up, to target player. Activate only as a sorcery.

1BR,T,Sacrifice a creature: Destroy target creature. If that creature was an artifact with flying, it deals damage equal to its toughness to each other creature its controller controls. Activate only as a sorcery.

"This card game is a load of bollocks." - Bakura, YGOTAS

2/4

Hehe, I quite like this just as a card version of the silliness that was Duelist Kingdom.

I'm not sure what all to say about it. I blame being quite tired, and running through all of these. It's a good entry, but it's the kind of thing where if you don't specifically get the reference, it's unclear why that second ability exists.

I think the forum ate my earlier post.

Magical hats 4UU
Instant - R
Exile up to 4 creatures you control and up to 4 - X cards from your hand, where X is the number of creatures exiled with ~, and put them all in a face down pile. Shuffle that pile then manifest those cards.

Some of the wording taken from Jeskai infiltrator. And now I have magical Trevor stuck in my head.

This, unfortunately, doesn't mimic the mechanics of the card from the show very well. In fact, doing that is essentially impossible in this game, as you get to choose where your opponents' attacks go, not them. It does seem to mimic the effects of the actual card, but it just isn't all that exciting, sorry.

Overheating Assault Golem 4R
Artifact Creature - Construct - R
Whenever ~ deals combat damage put a -1/-1 counter on it
(2R): remove all -1/-1 counters from ~ and deal 1 damage to X target creatures, where X is the number of -1/-1 counters removed this way
6/6

Unfortunately, this is just kind of underwhelming. Its ability is neat, and quite flavorful, I just can't think of what sort of slot or niche he would fill in a deck. As a result, he doesn't really excite me enough.

Time Wizard 1R
Creature - Wizard
3R, T: Flip a coin. If you win destroy all creatures your opponents control. If you lose destroy all creatures you control.
3R, T, sacrifice Time Wizard and a dragon: Search your library for a dragon and put it onto the battlefield.
0/1
Okay, this is pretty cool. This is the exact sort of card I'd love in a mono-red EDH deck of some sort. I do however see the following issues with it.

It just being a 'wizard' doesn't make a lot of sense, unless it's also an artifact creature.

The other issue is, it's missing a rarity.

Swords of Revealing Light 3W
Enchantment R
At the beginning of your upkeep put a time counter on ~ if it has 3 time counters on it sacrifice it.
When ~ enters the battlefield reveal all face down creatures.
Creatures can not attack you

I'm a little confused on how this works. Are the creatures revealed as in they're flipped face up, or do both players just get to see the creatures?

Dark Magician Girl 2(u/b)(b/r)
Creature - Human Wizard MR
Whenever Dark Magician Girl attacks, it gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the total number of Wizard creature cards in all graveyards.
Discard a card: Choose a Wizard creature card in your graveyard. Dark Magician Girl gains all abilities of the chosen card until end of turn.
2/5

So, I remembered Dark Magician being someone's favorite card, so I looked it up and found that it was just a big mono-black creature. But, I also remembered that this was a thing, and its ability was much more interesting... on the show. Looking at the card, I don't need to know how to play Yu-Gi-Oh to understand that it's actually kind of lame. MM demands flash and excitement!

So, I considered how the mechanic worked on the show. The point is to draw power from other wizards that came and went earlier in the game, which in Garbage Toilets pretty much just means attack power... but in M:tG, wizards dark or otherwise are generally utility creatures. Why can't she draw on that kind of power from them? Now, she can, and the discard has synergy with her first ability to boot.

She's supposed to be a black mage, and her graveyard-centric ability definitely points to black, but her attack effect is also kind of red and her derpy wizardry is also kind of blue, so she could probably get away with being an Izzet creature too. I don't know if factions are even a thing in Yu-Gi-Oh, but this is clearly supposed to be in the Wizard deck first and in the Dark deck second, so the Izzet Intern mana cost is what I wound up with.

EDIT: Took away flying to save a line of text. Thanks to her last ability, she can just get Flying from Meloku or Niv-Mizzet or something.

Okay, so, someone decided to make one of my favorite cards, well played. :smalltongue:

The only 'issue' is that she's not Legendary, so I can't use her as a commander for an EDH deck. Other than that, I love every bit of it, and even that I put as an issue in quotes because that's more an issue specific to me than the card.

tgva8889 with XYZ dragon cannon.

It's pretty much what I asked for, the primary issue is actually getting it out in the first place, which is going to be hard no matter what sort of deck you put it in. It is however one of my favorite entries.

The runner up and first place are just barely split apart. I liked both designs so much and honestly wish I could just choose them both.

DMofDarkness with the Millenium Puzzle.

Honestly, I feel incredibly conflicted about this. It's so close between this and the winner, and I'm just flip-flopping over and over again on which to choose. The only reason I'm going with the winner is because I feel like I personally would get more use out of it.

Dr. Gunsforhands by a hair. It was a very very hard choice between the Dark Magician Girl, and the Millenium Puzzle, but I had to go for the Magician Girl.

Jormengand
2015-08-14, 02:50 PM
Ah, the Joey Wheeler card.

The problem with this card is the same problem I have with Muraganda Petroglyphs; It encourages decks to be very same-y, by encouraging them to play lots of vanilla creatures. This is a very weird card in that it's the sort of thing you want to build around, but the only way to build around it is by reducing the amount of synergy you can put in the rest of your deck.

Mmm... it's a pity Exodia doesn't exist in Magic. :smalltongue:

(For reference, I always played a deck which contained Exodia, Right Hand, Left Hand, Right Foot, Left Foot, HotU*3, Reload*3, and then full of things like elemental hero clayman or soul tiger. Yes, it was pretty silly.)

Beacon of Chaos
2015-08-14, 05:33 PM
Hehe, I quite like this just as a card version of the silliness that was Duelist Kingdom.

I'm not sure what all to say about it. I blame being quite tired, and running through all of these. It's a good entry, but it's the kind of thing where if you don't specifically get the reference, it's unclear why that second ability exists.
Haha, that's fine. :P To be honest, it wasn't that serious an entry, it's just one of those moments in the first season that stuck out as being truly ridiculous.

Fable Wright
2015-08-14, 06:13 PM
The runner up and first place are just barely split apart. I liked both designs so much and honestly wish I could just choose them both.

Why can't you? Each winner adds one constraint to the contest, and who ends up judging is determined by coin flip.

Screw the rules, you have blue hair. :smalltongue:

Mystic Muse
2015-08-14, 08:32 PM
Why can't you? Each winner adds one constraint to the contest, and who ends up judging is determined by coin flip.

Screw the rules, you have blue hair. :smalltongue:

Yeah,,sure, go with that.:smalltongue:

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-08-14, 10:57 PM
Sounds good to me!

DG's YMTG Restriction this week: Think of something you like from outside of M:tG, and make a card based loosely on that thing. (Its viability as a card is much more important than accuracy with respect to the original thing.)

tgva8889
2015-08-14, 11:33 PM
I decided that sometimes, specifically trying to win is less important than having fun and trying to stretch what cards can do. I certainly had fun almost literally translating a Yu-gi-oh card into a Magic card.

Congrats to the winners, though! The Millennium Puzzle was perfect.

Fable Wright
2015-08-15, 12:06 AM
DM's restriction for the contest:

The card must represent a pair of things working together. Two siblings, two systems, two rivals, two minds, two sides to the card, or just two halves that can be fused together. Two things from outside magic, working together. Go!

Congrats to the winners, though! The Millennium Puzzle was perfect.
Thanks! I tried to think of what would reasonably unlock Atem, before realizing that looting a sacred place (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=389512), losing the construction gear in recovering the artifact (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=48586), and then having a hopeful dreamer (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=213750) tinker away at it for a while seemed like the appropriate combination to get it open.

Mystic Muse
2015-08-15, 12:30 AM
I was actually thinking of something like Cascade, or getting it out of the graveyard with Auriok salvagers, and then http://magiccards.info/ds/en/107.html

Anyway, I'll start thinking of cards.

Blue Ghost
2015-08-15, 12:48 AM
... I meant "total power of creatures exiled this way," not number. Oops. :smallredface:

Congrats to the winners! Awesome cards, both of you, and I would have chosen the same pair. Though I would probably have given first place to DMofDarkness. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Is it permissible to submit two cards as a pair?

LaZodiac
2015-08-15, 12:55 AM
Two judges demands a special sort of card...

Sisters Olsen 2UR
Creature - Human Wizard Rogue (R)
UR, tap an untapped permanent you control named Sisters Olsen: You may choose new targets for target instant or sorcery spell. If you control another permanent named Sisters Olsen, then copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
2/2
"Boy, this is gonna be a fun night." (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Mk_WWhRvrl0/Ubn8Tz-CTdI/AAAAAAAASIg/6FY60f4DvS4/s1600/c9d150b8711a0fa31529087d31740770.gif)

Obviously meant to evoke how the Olsen sisters always have those movies where they trick bad guys into punching themselves. Pretend the card art is like a bunch of Scarlet Witch's (https://i.imgur.com/naEn1je.jpg) on Ravnica.

enderlord99
2015-08-15, 02:26 AM
Zodi, (T) has no rules meaning. {T} is the official markup for the tap symbol... which means "tap this permanent" and not simply "tap"

Great card, otherwise!:smallsmile:

LaZodiac
2015-08-15, 02:32 AM
Zodi, (T) has no rules meaning. {T} is the official markup for the tap symbol... which means "tap this permanent" and not simply "tap"

I'mma fix this, thanks!

enderlord99
2015-08-15, 02:39 AM
I'mma fix this, thanks!
You're welcome.

Am I to assume the reason they can tap each other instead of only themselves is meant as a form of pseudo-haste? Or is it so things that remove abilities (but don't change card names) don't reduce the number of times the ability can be activated?

LaZodiac
2015-08-15, 02:42 AM
You're welcome.

Am I to assume the reason they can tap each other instead of only themselves is meant as a form of pseudo-haste? Or is it so things that remove abilities (but don't change card names) don't reduce the number of times the ability can be activated?

Mechanically and flavorfully, they're supposed to be like a gang of Izzet wizards who just go around wreckin' people's ****. If even one of them is around and able to do something, they're gonna be doing something. They're very crafty. They're all doing it for science of course, experimenting with the toys of others to see how far they can bend, but it IS intended for science. Since the contest also involves the "two things coming together" requirement, I felt it fit to make a card that not only represents twins/sisters, but also mechanically come together to be stronger as well.

enderlord99
2015-08-15, 04:05 AM
Mechanically and flavorfully, they're supposed to be like a gang of Izzet wizards who just go around wreckin' people's ****. If even one of them is around and able to do something, they're gonna be doing something. They're very crafty. They're all doing it for science of course, experimenting with the toys of others to see how far they can bend, but it IS intended for science. Since the contest also involves the "two things coming together" requirement, I felt it fit to make a card that not only represents twins/sisters, but also mechanically come together to be stronger as well.

The second one. Got it.

Ninjaman
2015-08-15, 08:29 AM

Actually just T is how it is usually written,

Fable Wright
2015-08-15, 09:33 AM
... I meant "total power of creatures exiled this way," not number. Oops. :smallredface:

Congrats to the winners! Awesome cards, both of you, and I would have chosen the same pair. Though I would probably have given first place to DMofDarkness. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Is it permissible to submit two cards as a pair?

If each refers to the other in their rules text, I'm going to go with yes, unless the Dr.Gunsforhands disagrees with me.

Two judges demands a special sort of card...

Sisters Olsen 2UR
Creature - Human Wizard Rogue (R)
UR, tap a permanent you control named Sisters Olsen: You may choose new targets for target instant or sorcery spell. If you control another permanent named Sisters Olsen, then copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
2/2
"Boy, this is gonna be a fun night." (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Mk_WWhRvrl0/Ubn8Tz-CTdI/AAAAAAAASIg/6FY60f4DvS4/s1600/c9d150b8711a0fa31529087d31740770.gif)

Obviously meant to evoke how the Olsen sisters always have those movies where they trick bad guys into punching themselves. Pretend the card art is like a bunch of Scarlet Witch's (https://i.imgur.com/naEn1je.jpg) on Ravnica.

Might want to make that 'tap an untapped permanent you control names Sisters Olsen', to avoid that whole tapping tapped creatures thing.