PDA

View Full Version : MtG - You Make the Card III: Wrath of the Khans

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

LaZodiac
2015-08-15, 10:31 AM
If each refers to the other in their rules text, I'm going to go with yes, unless the Dr.Gunsforhands disagrees with me.

Might want to make that 'tap an untapped permanent you control names Sisters Olsen', to avoid that whole tapping tapped creatures thing.

Right that's a thing. Man, it can be hard sometimes to make a somewhat off standard mechanic just to fit a flavor reason without actually making it mechanically worse :smallamused:

enderlord99
2015-08-15, 04:34 PM
Actually just T is how it is usually written,

Just because something is done a lot, doesn't mean it's the proper way of doing things.

It isn't a big deal, though.

Jormengand
2015-08-15, 04:49 PM
Just because something is done a lot, doesn't mean it's the proper way of doing things.

Well, technically, if you're gonna go there, the mana cost should have been {2}{U}{R}, but there's also the fact that no-one cares.

enderlord99
2015-08-15, 07:03 PM
Well, technically, if you're gonna go there, the mana cost should have been {2}{U}{R}Indeed.
but there's also the fact that no-one cares.I care a little; other wise I wouldn't have brought it up.

Ninjaman
2015-08-15, 07:33 PM

I feel like you have come up with a pretty big claim and that you need to back it up with actual evidence.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-08-15, 10:28 PM
If each refers to the other in their rules text, I'm going to go with yes, unless the Dr.Gunsforhands disagrees with me.

It's fine by me. We have two judges, it's only fair to let people submit two cards. :smalltongue:

enderlord99
2015-08-15, 10:28 PM
I feel like you have come up with a pretty big claim and that you need to back it up with actual evidence.

...Maybe it's just how MSE does it. I could have sworn it was official, though...

AgentPaper
2015-08-15, 11:10 PM
...Maybe it's just how MSE does it. I could have sworn it was official, though...

Regardless of what is or isn't official elsewhere, for the purposes of this campaign a simple T is the "official" way of doing it. As long as the judge understands what your card is supposed to do, though, it doesn't really matter.

tgva8889
2015-08-16, 01:18 AM
General card formatting in text allows you to use certain letters to replace commonly used symbols. For example, W, U, B, R, and G can replace mana symbols and T can replace the tap symbol. Q is also the untap symbol, and S indicates snow mana. I believe the other symbols use some sort of symbolic notation; for example, (U/B) indicates a blue and black hybrid mana symbol, and (R/P) indicates a red Phyrexian mana symbol.

This is mostly the notation taken from the way Wizards represents their cards in their system, so most boards use it.

CantigThimble
2015-08-16, 01:26 PM
Tom Servo and Crow 1RR
Artifact Creature - Golem R
3,T: Deal 5 damage to target creature with total power and toughness less than double its converted mana cost.
2/3

So destroy a creature that doesn't meet the vanilla test. They kill sub-par things! If you ever get the urge to use their ability on themselves, just repeat to yourself 'It's just a show, I should really just relax.'

Edit: Derp, thanks.

Saposhiente
2015-08-16, 04:35 PM
You probably want "less than double its converted mana cost"

onasuma
2015-08-16, 04:38 PM
Banjo, Hero of Spiral Mountain UG
Legendary Creature - Bear R
When ~ enters the battlefield put a 1/1 Legendary blue bird token named Kazooie into play with "Flying" and "Tap: Target creature gains flying until end of turn".
2/2

LaZodiac
2015-08-16, 04:40 PM
That's a pretty interesting card, but you're missing rarity and I...reeeealy doubt Kazooie is Green, or that weak. Green also doesn't get flying, supporting my point.

Blue Ghost
2015-08-16, 10:55 PM
Plusle 1WW
Creature - Elemental Beast (U)
When Plusle enters the battlefield, if you cast it from your hand, you may search your library for a card named Minun and put it onto the battlefield. If you do, shuffle your library.
Other creatures you control get +1/+0.
1/1

Minun 3W
When Minun enters the battlefield, if you cast it from your hand, you may search your library for a card named Plusle and put it onto the battlefield. If you do, shuffle your library.
Other creatures you control get +0/+1.
1/1

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Plusle_zpsgtod9x6v.jpghttp://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Minun_zpsiudsgllo.jpg

tgva8889
2015-08-16, 11:49 PM
Save the Princess WW
Legendary Enchantment (M)
When Save the Princess enters the battlefield, put a legendary 3/3 red Human creature token named Mario and a legendary 3/3 green Human creature token named Luigi onto the battlefield. Both tokens have "W: This creature gains flying until end of turn."
Whenever a creature named Mario or a creature named Luigi dies, put a copy of that creature onto the battlefield under your control tapped and put a life counter on Save the Princess. Then, if there are 5 or more life counters on Save the Princess, you lose the game.

onasuma
2015-08-17, 04:11 AM
That's a pretty interesting card, but you're missing rarity and I...reeeealy doubt Kazooie is Green, or that weak. Green also doesn't get flying, supporting my point.

Bears are 2/2's for 2 so that had to stay the same as far as I was concerned. As a result, I definitely couldnt make Kazooie any bigger. I suppose I could make the card cost UG and Kazooie blue, but Im not convinced I like that more. I'll mull.

tgva8889
2015-08-17, 04:25 AM
Bears are 2/2's for 2 so that had to stay the same as far as I was concerned. As a result, I definitely couldnt make Kazooie any bigger. I suppose I could make the card cost UG and Kazooie blue, but Im not convinced I like that more. I'll mull.

Bears have shifted a lot, actually. Recently, Bears have had more (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=386486) power (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=386474).

onasuma
2015-08-17, 04:27 AM
Bears in creature type alone!

Beacon of Chaos
2015-08-17, 06:38 AM
HMMMM got two ideas and can't decide. I think this one is slightly better:

Inkling Kid GUR
Creature - Human Squid U
As long as you control more lands than any other opponent, ~ has +2/+0 and first strike.
1: Transform ~
"You're a kid now..."
2/2

///

Inkling Squid
Creature - Human Squid U
Hexproof
As long as you control more lands than any other opponent, ~ is unblockable.
"You're a squid now..."
2/2

The land mechanic representing how much turf you've inked. Edit: This is from Splatoon, just in case you didn't know.

My other idea:
Sheik 2WU
Legendary Creature - Elf Ninja R
Hexproof
When you control five or more creatures, including at least one of each colour, transform Sheik.
3/3

///

Princess Zelda
Legendary Creature - Elf Wizard R
Other creatures you control get +2/+2
You may choose not to untap Princess Zelda during your untap step.
T: Target creature gets +2/+2 and has Protection from Black for as long as Zelda remains tapped.
3/3

The transformation trigger represents Zelda revealing herself after the sages have been rescued. There were more than five of them, but mechanically I think this works better.

Ionbound
2015-08-17, 10:07 PM
Alright. A pair of bros, huh...

Solid Snake-1WW

Legendary Creature-Human Warrior-R

UW: Tap target Creature

If you control a creature named 'Otacon', ~ can't be blocked

3/3

Otacon-1UU

Legendary Creature-Human Advisor-R

Defender

If you control a creature named 'Solid Snake' ~ gains Indestructible

Snake, respond! Snake? Snaaaaaake!

0/4

Jormengand
2015-08-18, 02:21 PM
Jones and Rodriguez 2WU
Legendary Creature - Human Lawyer R (Un)
When Jones and Rodriguez enter the battlefield, detain each other creature that isn't legal in Modern.
3/4

The Smith 3BR
Legendary Creature - Demon R
When The Smith dies, but a 5/3 legendary demon creature token called "Hephasto, the Armourer" onto the battlefield under your control.
5/3

Andariel 2BBRR
When Andariel dies, put a 5/5 legendary demon creature token called "Lilith" onto the battlefield under your control.
5/5

mystic1110
2015-08-18, 02:30 PM
Intelligence Handler 1UB
Creature - Human Rogue R
When ~ enters the battlefield, target opponent puts a 1/1 colorless rogue creature token named Double Agent with "at the beginning of your upkeep exile the top card of your library" onto the battlefield.
You may see and play cards exiled by permanents named Double Agent as if they were in your hand.
Spying is always a two man con.
1/1

Misothene
2015-08-18, 03:07 PM
Gary, Monarch Henchman 3RW
Legendary Creature- Human Rogue R
When Gary, Monarch Henchman enters the battlefield, search your library for a creature card with power and toughness 2/4, put it on to the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
As long as you control a 2/4 creature, Gary is indestructible.
When a 2/4 creature you control dies, exile Gary, then return him to the battlefield transformed.
2/1
///////////////////////////////
Two-ton Twenty-one
Legendary Creature- Human Soldier R
(White/black/red color indicator)
Double strike
R, Exile a 2/4 creature card from your graveyard: Two-ton Twenty-one gets +2/+0 until end of turn.
3/7

Blue Ghost
2015-08-22, 09:29 PM
Have you decided how you're going to do the judging?

Fable Wright
2015-08-22, 09:57 PM
Does the die roller work in SMBG?

1d2 1 is me, 2 is the good Doctor judging.

EDIT: Nope, but it's the doctor's turn to judge. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19714464&postcount=1320)

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-08-22, 11:04 PM
Oh man, judging already? I guess my mental clock for the thread has been a bit off since we took a couple days deciding how to work the contest. Since I apparently won the fateful flip, I'll make the judging post tomorrow.

Ninjaman
2015-08-23, 05:50 AM
Lyzia and Helmar - 1UR
Legendary Creature - M
Flash
When Lyzia and Helmar enters the battlefield, you may change the targets of target spell.
2/2

somethingrandom
2015-08-23, 04:01 PM
Link, Hero of Hyrule 2WG
Legendary Creature - Human Warrior R

When ~ deals combat damage to a player you may pay X if you do search your Library for an equipment card with converted mana cost X or less and put that card onto the battle field if that card is named The Master Sword you may equip it to ~ without paying it's equip cost.

1G: Regenerate ~
2/2

The Master Sword 5
Equip only to a nonblack creature
Equipped creature gets +3/+3, if Equiped creature is named Link, Hero of Hyrule it gets +5/+5 instead.
Black creatures dealt damage by equipped creature lose Indestructible until end of turn and can not gain Indestructible until end of turn.
Equip 4

edit did not under stand contest at first so edited so it meets contest requirements

enderlord99
2015-08-23, 04:05 PM
Link, Hero of Hyrule 2WG

When ~ deals combat damage to a player you may pay X if you do search your Library for an equipment card with converted mana cost X or less and put that card into play equipped to ~.

2/2

...That only fits one of the criteria.

Zaydos
2015-08-23, 04:48 PM
Not actually sure if this counts as two things, well it's two sides to the card so I guess.

Gandalf, the Grey 2WW
Legendary Creature - Angel Wizard MR
Whenever a creature you control would take 1 or more points of damage prevent 1 point of that damage.
T: ~ fights target demon you do not control. If that target suffers lethal damage regenerate ~ and transform ~.
4/4

Gandalf, the White
(W) Legendary Creature - Angel Wizard MR
Whenever a creature you control would take 1 or more points of damage prevent 1 point of that damage.
W: Destroy target aura attached to a permanent you control.
1W: Tap target creature.
6/6

Fable Wright
2015-08-23, 05:04 PM
...That only fits one of the criteria.

Yep. If it were fetching out a specific Legendary artifact, it would qualify. As is, though, it does not.

Not actually sure if this counts as two things, well it's two sides to the card so I guess.

Gandalf, the Grey 2WW
T: ~ fights target demon you do not control. If that target suffers lethal damage regenerate ~ and transform ~.
4/4

Gandalf, the White
6/6
Two faced cards are fine.

Tom the Mime
2015-08-23, 09:36 PM
Not a very good entry but i wanted to have that flavor text

Sith apprentice 2BB
Creature - Human R
First strike
If a creature with power greater than ~ dealt damage by ~ this turn dies transform ~
3/2

...and one to crave it

Sith master
Creature - Human R
Deathtouch
T: ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player
4/4
One to embody power

Jormengand
2015-08-24, 03:44 AM
T: Deal 1 damage to target creature or player

As written you deal the damage personally and don't get the benefits of deathtouch.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-08-25, 12:41 AM
I should have known that letting the thread sit for one more day would double the number of entries I have to review. :smallbiggrin:

Onward to judging!

Sisters Olsen 2UR
Creature - Human Wizard Rogue (R)
UR, tap an untapped permanent you control named Sisters Olsen: You may choose new targets for target instant or sorcery spell. If you control another permanent named Sisters Olsen, then copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
2/2
"Boy, this is gonna be a fun night." (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Mk_WWhRvrl0/Ubn8Tz-CTdI/AAAAAAAASIg/6FY60f4DvS4/s1600/c9d150b8711a0fa31529087d31740770.gif)

I'd kind of recommend just making it a regular tap ability. They're red; if you need them to have haste, just give them haste! The ability on the whole works pretty well on a 2/2 for 4, in typical Izzet fashion.

Also, I find it amusing that not being legendary basically means your casual deck can have Olsen Quadruplets, presumably created with special effects. :smalltongue:

Tom Servo and Crow 1RR
Artifact Creature - Golem R
3,T: Deal 5 damage to target creature with total power and toughness less than double its converted mana cost.
2/3

Nice; make fun of your opponent for playing creatures that don't pass the vanilla test. It doesn't fit my partner's restriction super-well; a single goblin heckler could pick apart your opponent's bad creatures just as well. Potentially oppressive in limited.

Banjo, Hero of Spiral Mountain UG
Legendary Creature - Bear R
When ~ enters the battlefield put a 1/1 Legendary blue bird token named Kazooie into play with "Flying" and "Tap: Target creature gains flying until end of turn".
2/2

This didn't really need to be two creatures. Banjo and Kazooie could just as easily have been a regular green bear with an off-color Jump ability. Having it at common wouldn't have messed up the flavor too much; just look at Arachne (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=380479).

Alternately, maybe you could have just made them bigger? Right now they don't feel impactful enough for their legendary status.

Plusle 1WW
When Plusle enters the battlefield, if you cast it from your hand, you may search your library for a card named Minun and put it onto the battlefield. If you do, shuffle your library.
Other creatures you control get +1/+0.
1/1

Minun 3W
When Minun enters the battlefield, if you cast it from your hand, you may search your library for a card named Plusle and put it onto the battlefield. If you do, shuffle your library.
Other creatures you control get +0/+1.
1/1

Yay cute! I was kind of expecting this team to show up at some point, although I can't help but be reminded of Celebrity Jeopardy for some reason. Technically, I suspect they should be Red rats, but as a Magic card I can see how that might not fly.

I'm a little suspicious of a Glorious Anthem that comes with free creatures, but since they don't usually pull it off in limited and nobody uses the Anthem in constructed these days, it's probably fine. This card was easily in my short list for winners.

Save the Princess WW
When Save the Princess enters the battlefield, put a legendary 3/3 red Human creature token named Mario and a legendary 3/3 green Human creature token named Luigi onto the battlefield. Both tokens have "W: This creature gains flying until end of turn."
Whenever a creature named Mario or a creature named Luigi dies, put a copy of that creature onto the battlefield under your control tapped and put a life counter on Save the Princess. Then, if there are 5 or more life counters on Save the Princess, you lose the game.

Giving them Jump is great. Causing a Game Over when you run out of lives is hilarious. It was in my short list, but 6 Very Sticky Power for two mana is still really scary, and White doesn't really like you-lose-the-game effects besides.

Inkling Kid GUR
Creature - Human Squid U
As long as you control more lands than any other opponent, ~ has +2/+0 and first strike.
"You're a kid now..."
2/2

///

Inkling Squid
Creature - Human Squid U
Hexproof
As long as you control more lands than any other opponent, ~ is unblockable.
"You're a squid now..."
2/2

That's not two things! You can't fool me, you aberrant monstrosity. :smalltongue:

It's an impressive first-striker with hexproof, and the flavor explanation for the ability is amusing even if the condition is really easy to meet. Switching back-and-forth from unblockable/untargetable to dealing 4 damage is a powerful combination, on par with the expensive blue changelings, but being in 3 colors is a pretty harsh restriction already.

It would probably still be more appropriate at rare from a mechanics standpoint, since it's a weird gold card and it's really hard to stop the pain train once you've started it.

Solid Snake-1WW

Legendary Creature-Human Warrior-R

UW: Tap target Creature

If you control a creature named 'Otacon', ~ can't be blocked

3/3

Otacon-1UU

Legendary Creature-Human Advisor-R

Defender

If you control a creature named 'Solid Snake' ~ gains Indestructible

Snake, respond! Snake? Snaaaaaake!

0/4

Gotta be honest: mechanically, this whole thing is kinda... bleh. Like, it's well-written and all, but it doesn't seem all that cohesive or elegant. I'd have preferred if they both happened to benefit from each other particularly well without calling each other out specifically... even if that's literally what Otacon does. :smalltongue:

The Smith 3BR
When The Smith dies, but a 5/3 legendary demon creature token called "Hephasto, the Armourer" onto the battlefield under your control.
5/3

Not sure what that's a reference to, but it's certainly a functioning card. It probably doesn't even need to be a legendary card. It really doesn't need to be red, either.

Intelligence Handler 1UB
Creature - Human Rogue R
When ~ enters the battlefield, target opponent puts a 1/1 colorless rogue creature token named Double Agent with "at the beginning of your upkeep exile the top card of your library" onto the battlefield.
You may see and play cards exiled by permanents named Double Agent as if they were in your hand.
Spying is always a two man con.
1/1

I was going to call you on my own contest stipulation, but then I realized that at no point did I specify that the thing you liked had to be very specific or even fictional, so fair play to you, my friend.

It's a pretty simple blue/black double-agent card, behaving a lot like existing Dimir Theft cards but executing the op in a unique way. Interesting how even if your opponent gets rid of one agent, the other can still do its job, albeit more poorly.

Gary, Monarch Henchman 3RW
Legendary Creature- Human Rogue R
When Gary, Monarch Henchman enters the battlefield, search your library for a creature card with power and toughness 2/4, put it on to the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
As long as you control a 2/4 creature, Gary is indestructible.
When a 2/4 creature you control dies, exile Gary, then return him to the battlefield transformed.
2/1
///////////////////////////////
Two-ton Twenty-one
Legendary Creature- Human Soldier R
(White/black/red color indicator)
Double strike
R, Exile a 2/4 creature card from your graveyard: Two-ton Twenty-one gets +2/+0 until end of turn.
3/7

I feel like tutoring for any version of 24 might be too easy to break. Putting him in your hand might've been enough, or you might even have gotten away with making him find his own way into your henchman army. Maybe I'm being a bit hard on a 2/1 for 5, but the tutor-to-field effect is usually green anyway.

Still incredibly funny, though. And I like how he always dies after 24 dies if able.

Lyzia and Helmar - 1UR
Legendary Creature - M
Flash
When Lyzia and Helmar enters the battlefield, you may change the targets of target spell.
2/2

Distressingly similar to the Olsen Twins entry, if a bit more elegant and sneaky in execution. Does this version of the ability really have to be legendary, though?

Link, Hero of Hyrule 2WG

When ~ deals combat damage to a player, you may pay X. If you do, search your Library for an equipment card with converted mana cost X or less and put that card onto the battle field if that card is named The Master Sword you may equip it to ~ without paying it's equip cost.

2/2

The Master Sword 5
Equip only to a nonblack creature
Equipped creature gets +3/+3, if Equiped creature is named Link, Hero of Hyrule it gets +5/+5 instead.
Black creatures dealt damage by equipped creature lose Indestructible until end of turn and can not gain Indestructible until end of turn.
Equip 4

...why does he regenerate?

Gandalf, the Grey 2WW
4/4

Gandalf, the White
6/6

I can kind of see the flavor in everything that's going on, but you're spreading Gandalf's abilities too thin and putting a lot of focus on a conditional ability that might not even work properly in the few instances where it comes up.

Sith apprentice 2BB
Creature - Human R
First strike
If a creature with power greater than ~ dealt damage by ~ this turn dies transform ~
3/2

...and one to crave it

Sith master
Creature - Human R
Deathtouch
T: ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player
4/4
One to embody power

flavor text is grammatically backwards 0/10 would not play :smalltongue:

Why does he lose first strike as he gets better at fighting?

I've lowered it down to two non-legendaries, because I am a boring person.

Because the Squid is fun, I think I'd likely let Diego Havoc judge the next contest myself, but I'll give DMoD a chance to change it to Mystic1110 for Intelligence Handler if he feels like it.

Fable Wright
2015-08-25, 06:32 PM
Congrats to Diego Havoc! It really is a fun card, even if it's a bit strong for uncommon.

Jormengand
2015-08-25, 07:56 PM
The good doctor should go and obtain, and play, a copy of Diablo II. It's still available to buy from the Blizzard website at a cheap price which belies how amazingly good a game it is (D3 not standing up to it in the slightest).

Beacon of Chaos
2015-08-26, 11:49 AM
Me? Oh, thank you! I'm glad you both liked it.

Note to self: Self, you are bad at judging card rarity.

Well, since I won with a squid...

Design an aquatic/amphibious creature card.

LaZodiac
2015-08-26, 12:03 PM
The Librarian 4UU
Legendary Creature - Kraken (MR)
2U: Draw a card and reveal it. If it's an instant or sorcery you may cast a copy of that card until the end of your turn.
If you would draw a card except the first one you draw in your draw step, tap target creature.
4/6
He's collected numerous thoughts throughout his long life. Pray he does not see fit to share them.

The idea behind this card is that it's a "smart" Kraken. The ability represents his hording of tomes of knowledge and stuff. This is totally a reference to an NPC in a DND game I watched one time.

Blue Ghost
2015-08-27, 12:50 AM
Arixmethes, City of Thassa 3U
Kraken, Leviathan, Merfolk, Octopus and Serpent spells you cast cost {2} less to cast.
8UUU: Monstrosity 15
As long as Arixmethes is monstrous, it is a 0/0 Kraken creature in addition to its other types and has indestructible.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Arixmethes%20City%20of%20Thassa_zps3ycrhjh7.jpg

enderlord99
2015-08-27, 07:40 PM
Kraken, Leviathan, Merfolk, Octopus and Serpent spells you cast cost {2} less to cast.
As long as Arixmethes is monstrous, it is a 0/0 Kraken creature in addition to its other types and has indestructible.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Arixmethes%20City%20of%20Thassa_zps3ycrhjh7.jpg

I'd recommend it be a land rather than an enchantment. Possibly requiring you to pay UU when it enters the battlefield or sacrifice it.

If you make that change, it should also have T: add 1 to your mana pool.

LaZodiac
2015-08-27, 07:42 PM
I'd recommend it be a land rather than an enchantment. Possibly requiring you to pay UU when it enters the battlefield or sacrifice it.

Flavor wise, "living city" or not, this guy's from Theros and it makes a lot more sense as an enchantment, I think.

Zaydos
2015-08-27, 07:58 PM
And wouldn't be the first time one has been represented as an enchantment (here (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=3659) and here (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=159155)) though it's been a good long while.

Blue Ghost
2015-08-27, 08:53 PM

Yeah, I thought of that, but that would make the card a lot more cluttered. Can't think of a clean land execution. And I think enchantment does make sense, as it is a creation of Thassa.

CantigThimble
2015-08-27, 09:00 PM
Yeah, I thought of that, but that would make the card a lot more cluttered. Can't think of a clean land execution. And I think enchantment does make sense, as it is a creation of Thassa.

It seems like it could be left as is and made a land based on the precedent of the Eye of Ugin.

Blue Ghost
2015-08-28, 02:45 AM
It seems like it could be left as is and made a land based on the precedent of the Eye of Ugin.

It could. But I think it's mechanically better as an enchantment. I don't like putting a major effect like this on part of one's mana base.

Mystic Muse
2015-08-28, 08:33 AM
Neptulon 4UUU

Legendary Creature - Elemental MR

When Neptulon enters the battlefield, search your library for four murlocs and put them into your hand.

Neptulon is the "Tidehunter" and is one of the four elemental lords. And he and Ragnaros get together and make really amazing saunas.

Siltfin Spiritlurker 2UU

Creature - Murloc R

Whenever a murloc you control dies, draw a card.

2/5

The elements respond to anyone who calls them for a worthy cause. Even if you call them by yelling "MRGHRGLGLGL!"

Grimscale Oracle U

Creature - Murloc U

Murlocs get +1/+0

These are the brainy murlocs. It turns out that doesn't mean much

Murloc raider U

creature - Murloc C

2/1

Murloc Tidecaller U

Creature - Murloc R

Whenever a player casts a Murloc spell, put a +1/+0 counter on Murloc Tidecaller

1/2

This guy gets CRAZY strong at family reunions

Bluegill warrior 1U

creature - Murloc U

Haste

2/1

He just wants a hug. A sloppy....slimy... hug.

Murloc tidecaller 1U

creature - Murloc C

When Murloc tidecaller enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 blue murloc creature token into play

2/1

"Death will rise, from the tides!"

Puddlestomper 1U

creature- Murloc U

3/2

He pays homage to Morgl, the great Murloc Oracle! (who doesnt??)

Coldlight oracle 1UU

creature - murloc U

When Coldlight oracle enters the battlefield, each player draws 2 cards

2/2

He can see the future. In that future, both players draw extra cards. Spooooky.

Coldlight seer 1UU

creature - Murloc U

Other murloc creatures get +0/+2

2/3

The Coldlight Murlocs reside in the darkest pits of the abyssal depths. So, no. There's no getting away from Murlocs.

Murloc warleader 1UU

Creature - Murloc R

Other Murloc creatures get +2/+1

Do Murlocs ever get tired of making the same old sound? Nope! Mrglglglglglglglglgl!

Old Murk-eye 2UU

Legendary creature - Murloc

Haste

Old Murk-eye gets +1/+0 for each murloc on the battlefield.

He's a legend among Murlocs. "Mrghllghghllghg!", they say.

Sorry, I had to. You can all hate me now. :smallbiggrin:

I'm well aware they aren't super well designed. I basically just decided to wing it, since they aren't serious entries anyway.

Blue Ghost
2015-08-28, 11:40 AM
Murlocs are probably red. Or maybe black. Just 'cause they're aquatic doesn't mean they have to be blue.

somethingrandom
2015-08-28, 01:52 PM
Arasalia, Queen of the Merfolk 3UU
Legendary Creature - Merfolk Wizard MR
Other Merfolk you control get +1/+1
Merfolk you control have "U,T: Target Merfolk you control becomes a copy of target Merfolk you control."
3/3

mystic1110
2015-08-28, 02:17 PM
Amphibios 6GGG
Legendary Creature - Frog Kraken M
Trample, Hexproof, Flash
When ~ enters the battlefield tap up to X target permanents where X is the amount of {U} used to cast it. Those permanents don't untap during their controllers' untap steps for as long as you control Amphibios.
9/9

Jormengand
2015-08-28, 02:30 PM
Death from the Depths 6UUUU
Creature - Leviathan R
If Death from the Depths would die, shuffle all creatures on the battlefield and all creatures in graveyards and in exile into their owner's library instead.
8/8

tgva8889
2015-08-28, 04:48 PM
Many-Tentacled Terror 6UU
Creature - Octopus (R)
Many-Tentacled Terror has hexproof as long as it's untapped.
Many-Tentacled Terror can't be blocked unless your opponent pays X, where X is 8 minus the number of creatures assigned to block Many-Tentacled Terror.
8/8

I'm 90% sure that the way that taxing effects work allows you to do this, but if not I'll edit the entry.

Demon Prince
2015-08-28, 04:49 PM
Living Coral 1BG
Creature - Coral Wall (R)

Defender
G, T: Living Coral does 2 damage to target creature
G, T: Living Coral gets +0/+1
T: If target creature would take damage from a creature or other spell, Living Coral takes the damage instead.
0/2

"The fae of the deep have ways of defending themselves
-Uulnar, Merfolk Guide

Mystic Muse
2015-08-28, 05:45 PM
Murlocs are probably red. Or maybe black. Just 'cause they're aquatic doesn't mean they have to be blue.

I like how you gave serious critique to something I explicitly said wasn't intended to be a serious entry. :smalltongue:

LaZodiac
2015-08-28, 05:48 PM
I like how you gave serious critique to something I explicitly said wasn't intended to be a serious entry. :smalltongue:

Blue is always seriously nonserious. It's kind of great. For what it's worth I do like the Murloc designs, it's cute.

CantigThimble
2015-08-29, 07:56 AM
Mr. Grabby 3UU
Legendary Creature - Octopus R
Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield you may tap target creature and put a tentacle counter on it. It doesn't untap during its controller's untap step as long as it has a tentacle counter on it.
Whenever Mr. Grabby takes damage remove a tentacle counter from a creature an opponent controls.
When Mr. Grabby leaves the battlefield remove all tentacle counters from all creatures.
1/5
Give me a hug!

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-08-29, 12:43 PM
Fishmonger 2U
Creature - Human C
When Fishmonger enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 blue Fish creature token with Flying onto the battlefield.
1/2

Since Wizards has apparently decided to have landwalk not be a thing anymore, I'm trying to figure out how to do the stuff Blue normally does with Islandwalk...

Aquatic Aerialist 1U
A smiling merfolk rockets out of the water up to the viewer, soaring over a passing warship below.
Creature - Merfolk Rogue C
Whenever this creature attacks, choose one:
- This creature gains Flying until end of turn.
- This creature can't be blocked by creatures with Flying until end of turn.
2/1

So each turn, he either jumps or dives. ...of course, the ship's resident Elven Archer could still snipe him with Reach.

braveheart
2015-08-30, 08:04 PM
Toad King Summoning XG
Creature - Frog - R
Reach
Toad King Summoning enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it
If Toad King Sumoning has 4 or more +1/+1 counters on it, it has trample
The best way to get through the Toad King's beurocracy is to bribe your way up with large quantities of mana.
0/0

onasuma
2015-09-02, 02:59 PM
Hunted Shoal 2UW
Creature - Fish Rare
When ~ enters the battlefield put a 5/5 whale token into play under target opponents control.
Whenever ~ takes combat damage, put a -1-1 counter on it instead.
"Better you than me" - A fish.
6/6

Saposhiente
2015-09-02, 03:57 PM
Aquatic Aerialist 1U
A smiling merfolk rockets out of the water up to the viewer, soaring over a passing warship below.
2/1

So each turn, her either jumps or dives. ...of course, the ship's resident Elven Archer could still snipe him with Reach.

Overpowered, especially at common. At the very least needs to require a second color. With only one exception (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=394714), 2 power flying for 2 needs a second color or a downside.

onasuma
2015-09-02, 04:28 PM
*cough* (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=222633) *cough* (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=107260)

Besides, this doesnt have flying. Its downside, if it has to have one, is that it doesnt have any defensive capability against flying.

tgva8889
2015-09-02, 04:37 PM
The power level of the card, in my opinion, doesn't hinder its design. As they say, power level is for developers. I'd leave such considerations to our judge for the round to decide. Not being able to ever block flying creatures puts it on par with Welkin Tern (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=383437) in my opinion; hard to block, but awful if you aren't attacking.

Zaydos
2015-09-02, 04:40 PM
I'd say that it's better than Welkin Tern in that it also can alternatively only be able to be blocked by creatures without flying. Is it better than a 2/1 flyer? I'd be inclined to actually say the minor offensive advantage puts it on par with one.

mystic1110
2015-09-02, 04:41 PM
Except it's not really a "flying" creature - unless the opponent controls both a flying and unflying creature - this is a two mana two power unblockable.

Seems to be an upgraded Inkfathom Infiltrator. . .

Beacon of Chaos
2015-09-02, 05:05 PM
Judging will be a bit late. Friday is the current target.

tgva8889
2015-09-02, 05:17 PM
In Limited (which is the only place the card matters), it's going to be a Welkin Tern a large percentage of the time, because everyone plays ground creatures so either someone will find a Flying creature to block, a Reach creature to block, or a removal spell to kill it. If they weren't going to be able to stop Welkin Tern, they weren't going to be able to stop this card. If your opponent has a pile of fliers, chances are they don't care about blocking your 2/1 unless their fliers are Thopters or something, which don't come up very often. Overall, I'd probably say "better than Welkin Tern, but that isn't saying very much." The card definitely isn't going to break any formats. It might be a strong Limited common, but I think a world where a 2-power flier for 2 is the best blue common in Limited is probably a fine world for us all to live in.

Though, again, power level isn't really the name of this contest; it's about the design, and the design of a card that either has flying or can't be blocked by flying is pretty cool.

Zaydos
2015-09-02, 05:26 PM
Spellfeaster Toad 2(G/U)(G/U)
Creature - Frog U
Whenever you cast a Green spell put a 1/1 green Frog creature token onto the battlefield under your control.
Whenever you cast a Blue spell you may counter target spell unless its controller pays 1.
3/3

braveheart
2015-09-02, 05:35 PM
Murk-dweller Toad 2(G/U)(G/U)
Creature - Frog U
Whenever you cast a Green spell put a 1/1 green Frog creature token onto the battlefield under your control.
Whenever you cast a Blue spell counter target spell unless its controller pays 1.
3/3

As written, I think it forces you to counter your own blue spells, it should be a May effect on both

Zaydos
2015-09-02, 05:36 PM
As written, I think it forces you to counter your own blue spells, it should be a May effect on both

Was making that edit as you posted.

Saposhiente
2015-09-03, 01:07 AM
*cough* (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=222633) *cough* (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=107260)

Besides, this doesnt have flying. Its downside, if it has to have one, is that it doesnt have any defensive capability against flying.

*In blue.

I suppose it does have that downside, even though for offense it's better than flying, obviously. I guess it's printable.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-09-03, 01:34 AM
I guess I should be flattered that my card attracted so much interest!

I do acknowledge that AA could be developed in a few directions to make it safer, for lack of a better word. After thinking about it some more, the one I'm most strongly considering is just bumping it to uncommon. As intuitive as it may be, it still has a repeated, triggered, modal ability, and could slow a game down if there's a huge number of them on the table.

Then again, if it's in a big set and it's the only blue common that does it... Well, now I'm just chasing a moving target. :smalltongue: I'll leave it alone for now.

Tom the Mime
2015-09-03, 01:48 AM
Summon bigger fish (http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0033.html) 2UU
Sorcery - R
Put an X/Y+1 blue fish creature token, where X and Y are the power and toughness of the creature with the highest combined power and toughness in play, onto the battlefield under your control.

Fable Wright
2015-09-03, 09:32 AM
Sorcery - R
Put an X/Y+1 blue fish creature token, where X and Y are the power and toughness of the creature with the highest combined power and toughness in play, onto the battlefield under your control.

We already have 'Summon Bigger Fish'. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=389652)

Beacon of Chaos
2015-09-04, 05:38 PM
Okay, sorry. Tomorrow will be judging day. :smallredface:

Ninjaman
2015-09-05, 05:22 AM
Laquatus' Knight - UU
Creature - Merfolk Knight
Whenever Laquatus' Knight attacks a player, you may tap target nonland permanent that player controls.
Whenever Laquatus' Knight deals combat dammage to a player, target nonland permanent that player controls doesn't untap during it's controller's next untap step.
2/2

Beacon of Chaos
2015-09-05, 11:33 AM
The Librarian 4UU
Legendary Creature - Kraken (MR)
2U: Draw a card and reveal it. If it's an instant or sorcery you may cast a copy of that card until the end of your turn.
If you would draw a card except the first one you draw in your draw step, tap target creature.
4/6
He's collected numerous thoughts throughout his long life. Pray he does not see fit to share them.

The idea behind this card is that it's a "smart" Kraken. The ability represents his hording of tomes of knowledge and stuff. This is totally a reference to an NPC in a DND game I watched one time.
It's interesting. It's kinda going in all directions; a large body, card drawing, spell copying, tapping. The second ability on its own is pretty cool for a blue player. I generally like it, but it doesn't quite feel right as a kraken. Maybe that's just me.

Pretty interesting choice for a tribal theme. I do like how how it kinda panics opponents into finding a way to deal with it before hitting the monstrous ability.

Arasalia, Queen of the Merfolk 3UU
Legendary Creature - Merfolk Wizard MR
Other Merfolk you control get +1/+1
Merfolk you control have "U,T: Target Merfolk you control becomes a copy of target Merfolk you control."
3/3
That's quite an ability. Potentially hard to keep track of, but that's never stopped MtG cards before. I'd be interested in knowing the flavour reason for this ability.

Amphibios 6GGG
Legendary Creature - Frog Kraken M
Trample, Hexproof, Flash
When ~ enters the battlefield tap up to X target permanents where X is the amount of {U} used to cast it. Those permanents don't untap during their controllers' untap steps for as long as you control Amphibios.
9/9
Frog.. kraken? Intriguing. As it the ability. I don't recall any other cards with such an ability, except for sunburst stuff. Pretty cool.

Death from the Depths 6UUUU
Creature - Leviathan R
If Death from the Depths would die, shuffle all creatures on the battlefield and all creatures in graveyards and in exile into their owner's library instead.
8/8
What a cost! Interesting how the ability gets creatures from exile too. Must be some great ways to abuse that. Always fun to have big creatures that your opponents will be wary of killing, too.

Many-Tentacled Terror 6UU
Creature - Octopus (R)
Many-Tentacled Terror has hexproof as long as it's untapped.
Many-Tentacled Terror can't be blocked unless your opponent pays X, where X is 8 minus the number of creatures assigned to block Many-Tentacled Terror.
8/8

I'm 90% sure that the way that taxing effects work allows you to do this, but if not I'll edit the entry.
I don't think it would work as written, but I understand the intention. Overall it's kinda scary. 7 mana to block with one creature will almost never be worth it, so you'll basically always get 2 for 1 or better. Pretty strong on defence too. Maybe a bit much for 8 mana?

Living Coral 1BG
Creature - Coral Wall (R)

Defender
G, T: Living Coral does 2 damage to target creature
G, T: Living Coral gets +0/+1
T: If target creature would take damage from a creature or other spell, Living Coral takes the damage instead.
0/2

"The fae of the deep have ways of defending themselves
-Uulnar, Merfolk Guide
This is very much a red/white card masquerading as blue/green. I can't see the second ability getting much use when it needs to tap either. If you'd scrapped the damage ability, and perhaps given this a way to regenerate itself, I could see this being blue/green or blue/white.

Mr. Grabby 3UU
Legendary Creature - Octopus R
Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield you may tap target creature and put a tentacle counter on it. It doesn't untap during its controller's untap step as long as it has a tentacle counter on it.
Whenever Mr. Grabby takes damage remove a tentacle counter from a creature an opponent controls.
When Mr. Grabby leaves the battlefield remove all tentacle counters from all creatures.
1/5
Give me a hug!
A nice hydra-esque skill there. It's an okay card, but I'm afraid it doesn't really grab my attention. (Hah! :smallbiggrin:)

Since Wizards has apparently decided to have landwalk not be a thing anymore, I'm trying to figure out how to do the stuff Blue normally does with Islandwalk...

Aquatic Aerialist 1U
2/1

So each turn, he either jumps or dives. ...of course, the ship's resident Elven Archer could still snipe him with Reach.
Seems fair to me. I don't have a problem with this at common. And the flavour justification for the ability is perfect.

Toad King Summoning XG
Creature - Frog - R
Reach
Toad King Summoning enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it
If Toad King Sumoning has 4 or more +1/+1 counters on it, it has trample
The best way to get through the Toad King's beurocracy is to bribe your way up with large quantities of mana.
0/0
It's a creature that gets bigger with more mana. It's good, but not really anything special. I do like that it mixes defence and offence, depending on how you play it.

Hunted Shoal 2UW
Creature - Fish Rare
When ~ enters the battlefield put a 5/5 whale token into play under target opponents control.
Whenever ~ takes combat damage, put a -1-1 counter on it instead.
"Better you than me" - A fish.
6/6
Seems like a fine variant of the hunted creatures. I like how the shoal simply loses some fish whenever it would be damaged.

Spellfeaster Toad 2(G/U)(G/U)
Creature - Frog U
Whenever you cast a Blue spell you may counter target spell unless its controller pays 1.
3/3
It's a shame there aren't more green/blue instants to take advantage of a creature like this. Overall I like this card, but I'm afraid I can't think of much else to say about it.

Sorcery - R
I think it could be worded better. "Put a blue fish creature token onto the battlefield with power and toughness equal to target creature's power and toughness plus 1." Targeting because realistically, most people will target the biggest creature anyway. Other than that it's fine. Good reference. :smallbiggrin:

Laquatus' Knight - UU
Creature - Merfolk Knight
Whenever Laquatus' Knight attacks a player, you may tap target nonland permanent that player controls.
Whenever Laquatus' Knight deals combat dammage to a player, target nonland permanent that player controls doesn't untap during it's controller's next untap step.
2/2
Missing a rarity, but I'd assume uncommon? Power level seems about right for it. A nice combat ability.

Winner:
Blue Ghost and Arixmethes, City of Thassa!

LaZodiac
2015-09-05, 11:41 AM
It's interesting. It's kinda going in all directions; a large body, card drawing, spell copying, tapping. The second ability on its own is pretty cool for a blue player. I generally like it, but it doesn't quite feel right as a kraken. Maybe that's just me.

Yeah, I had some trouble finding a way to make it really Kraken-y. Kraken identity is tough!

Congrats to the winner!

Jormengand
2015-09-05, 12:40 PM
What a cost!

I wasn't sure how to cost it, honestly. I mean, blue doesn't usually get good-value minions, and with that ability, it's pretty scary (especially as shuffle to library is the archetypal way of preventing players from getting their scary stuff (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=370405) back).

Beacon of Chaos
2015-09-05, 01:19 PM
I'm not entirely sure it was costed wrong, per se, but at the same time it still seems high. It didn't count against you in the competition, for what it's worth.

tgva8889
2015-09-05, 02:25 PM
I checked with a L2 Judge, and he's pretty sure my card works as written. In any case, the intention was obvious.

Given the sorts of expensive creatures we're getting lately, I'm not even sure my card was that unreasonable. But I can see where you're coming from, and I certainly could have toned it down a bit.

Congratulations to the winner!

Blue Ghost
2015-09-05, 07:09 PM
New contest!

Make a legendary creature with converted mana cost 3 or less.

Make sure it feels legendary. What that means is rather subjective, but basically, it should be exciting and impactful enough to be worthy of legendary status.

LaZodiac
2015-09-05, 07:37 PM
Wilfred Fizzlebang (http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/hearthstone.gamepedia.com/e/e7/Wilfrd_Fizzlebang_full.jpg) 1BR
Legendary Creature - Gnome Wizard (MR)
Demon creatures you control have haste.
{3BR}, {T}, Sacrifice Wilfred Fizzlebang: Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a Demon creature card. Put it onto the battlefield. It gains haste until end of turn. Put all other revealed cards onto the bottom of your library.
1/4

tgva8889
2015-09-05, 07:37 PM
Melika, Mana Thief GUB
Legendary Creature - Human Rogue (MR)
When Melika, Mana Thief deals combat damage to a player, that player exiles a card from his or her hand. You may play that card for as long as it remains exiled, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to play that card.
T: For each card exiled by Melkia, Mana Thief, add one mana of that card's color identity to your mana pool. If that card has no color identity, instead add 1 to your mana pool.
2/2

CantigThimble
2015-09-05, 08:38 PM
Venser, Teferiís Apprentice 1WU
Legendary Creature - Human Artificer MR
When Venser, Teferiís Apprentice enters the battlefield you may return an artifact from your graveyard to your hand.
Whenever another creature or artifact you control becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, exile that permanent and return it to the battlefield, if you do exile Venser, Teferiís Apprentice and return him to the battlefield transformed.
2/2

Venser, Prodigal Artificer
(W/B) Planeswalker - Venser MR
+1 Untap target creature or artifact.
-1 Target creature gains unblockable and vigilance until end of turn.
-5 Exile up to two target permanents. You may return them to the battlefield under their owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.

So Venser spent his pre-spark life reclaiming phyrexian artifacts from urborg to create a planeswalking ship. He was then recruited by Teferi in the rift cleanup detail and they borrowed his ship. Eventually after facing many perils alongside Rhada and Jhoira, his spark was ignited by his teleportation magic.

Also, please note the may in his ultimate, it's very important.

Edit: Nerfed his blink, now he can't blink himself and it's not a may.

Edit: Made him WU like he was supposed to be, I'm a genius by the way. Also 2 loyalty instead of 3.

tgva8889
2015-09-05, 09:22 PM
CantigThimble, I don't know if this was intentional, but the way you wrote Venser's ability, you can just blink him in response to him getting targeted by anything every time, making him effectively better Hexproof. Also this card lets you do some absurd stuff for only 3 mana, ignoring the value of his becoming a Planeswalker.

LaZodiac
2015-09-05, 09:23 PM
CantigThimble, I don't know if this was intentional, but the way you wrote Venser's ability, you can just blink him in response to him getting targeted by anything every time, making him effectively better Hexproof. Also this card lets you do some absurd stuff for only 3 mana, ignoring the value of his becoming a Planeswalker.

Well no, because the instant his planeswalker transform trigger hits, he has to flip over. So he gets to dodge one spell if he poofs himself.

tgva8889
2015-09-05, 09:27 PM
Well no, because the instant his planeswalker transform trigger hits, he has to flip over. So he gets to dodge one spell if he poofs himself.

Nope. The way the mechanic works, if your Venser is targeted, you can blink it, and then the second half of its ability doesn't do anything because the Venser that caused that trigger is no longer on the battlefield anymore. So you just get Venser back and get to trigger his reanimation effect again.

Blue Ghost
2015-09-05, 10:09 PM
Is Venser supposed to be WU?

Also, if anyone wants to provide an image for their card, I can do renders for them at judging time.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-09-05, 10:29 PM
Umo, Nausica's Savior 1BG
Legendary Creature - Insect MR
Umo, Nausica's Savior's power and toughness are each equal to the number of forests and swamps you control.
Whenever Umo attacks, you may return a forest or swamp card from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.
Trample
*/*

onasuma
2015-09-06, 02:35 AM
Gribling The Slimey 1BR
Legendary Creature - Goblin
First strike, Wither
If ~ would be dealt combat damage from a creature with a -1/-1 counter on it, prevent that damage.
2/1

CantigThimble
2015-09-06, 09:03 AM
Is Venser supposed to be WU?

Yes, he's been a tad inconsistent in card color but I prefer the WU version.

LaZodiac
2015-09-06, 09:09 AM
Yes, he's been a tad inconsistent in card color but I prefer the WU version.

I think he's more talking about how your card is White and Black, the way you've written it :smallamused:

Jormengand
2015-09-06, 12:53 PM
Wilfred Fizzlebang (http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/hearthstone.gamepedia.com/e/e7/Wilfrd_Fizzlebang_full.jpg) 1BR
Demons you control have Haste.
(3BR), (T), Sacrifice Wilfred Fizzlebang: Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a demon. Put it onto the battlefield, it has haste until the end of your turn. Put all other revealed cards onto the bottom of the library.
1/4

Heh. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18880914&postcount=682)

Anyway, let's do something different:

Morthul, Demonic Disciple 2B
Legendary Creature - Human Cleric R
B, Sacrifice five creatures named Shadowborn Apostle: Search your library for a Demon creature card and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.
2/3

Beacon of Chaos
2015-09-06, 01:09 PM
Gritik, the Tiny BB
Legendary Creature - Imp R
Players may cast spells with converted mana cost 2 or less without paying their mana cost.
Whenever a player casts a spell with converted mana cost 3 or more, that player loses 1 life.
1/3

Scrapped until I come up with something better.

Fable Wright
2015-09-06, 03:07 PM
Gritik, the Tiny BB
Players may cast spells with converted mana cost 2 or less without paying their mana cost.
Whenever a player casts a spell with converted mana cost 3 or more, that player loses 1 life.
1/3

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DiegoHavoc/Gritik%20The%20Tiny.png

...You do realize that this basically reads to a storm player as 'Manamorphose, Serum visions, Faithless Looting, Faithless looting, Gitaxian Probe, Visions, Pyro Ascension, Manamorphose, Probe, continue or double chain, Grapeshot, Grapeshot', right?

Beacon of Chaos
2015-09-06, 03:43 PM
Well, no, but then I only recognise Serum Visions and Grapeshot, and I thought Grapeshot was 3 mana.

What if I made it creature spells only?

tgva8889
2015-09-06, 04:02 PM
Well, no, but then I only recognise Serum Visions and Grapeshot, and I thought Grapeshot was 3 mana.

I don't think that would fix the problem; there's too many ways to free-chain something like this for infinite value.

Ninjaman
2015-09-06, 04:42 PM
Heh. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18880914&postcount=682)

Anyway, let's do something different:

Whenever you would sacrifice six creatures named "Shadowborn Apostle", you may sacrifice five creatures named "Shadowborn Apostle" instead.
2/3

I'm pretty sure the way this work you still need six apostles to activate the ability. I think to make it work best you could give him or make him give apostels the apostle ability with a cost of five sacs.

Fable Wright
2015-09-06, 04:45 PM

That would make it significantly more balanced, but it would still have the potential to get really silly, really fast. Elves as a deck exists primarily because it can generate absurd amounts of mana and pump out unbelievable numbers of weenies. This basically grants that capability to any deck willing to hit BB. R/B Bushwacker could be pretty terrifying.

Jormengand
2015-09-07, 10:58 AM
I'm pretty sure the way this work you still need six apostles to activate the ability. I think to make it work best you could give him or make him give apostels the apostle ability with a cost of five sacs.

Mmm, good idea.

Demon Prince
2015-09-07, 02:23 PM

As a thought...

Rather than limiting the kind of spells, why not limit the number?

"At the beginning of their turns, each player may play up to one spell with converted mana cost 2 or less without paying its mana cost?"

Ninjaman
2015-09-07, 02:45 PM
As a thought...

"At the beginning of their turns, each player may play up to one spell with converted mana cost 2 or less without paying its mana cost?"

"Each player may pay 0 instead of paying the mana cost for the first spell with converted mana cost 2 or less he or she casts each turn."

somethingrandom
2015-09-07, 02:54 PM
Tibalt, Experamental Torturer R
Creature - Legendary Human Wizard MR
Devil spell you cast cost 1 less to cast.
R,T: ~ deals 1 damage to target creature.
When ~ deals damage to a creature you control put a pain counter on that creature.
At the beginning of your upkeep if a creature you control has 3 or more pain counters on it and you control a Devil Exile ~ and return it to the battlefield transformed.
0/1
--------------------------------------------
Tibalt, Master of Pain
Planswalker - Tibalt
+1: ~ put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.
-X: Put a Devil with converted mana cost X from your hand onto the battlefield without paying it's mana cost.
-6: You get an emblem with "Red instant and sorcery spells you cast have Wither.

Fable Wright
2015-09-07, 04:06 PM
When ~ deals damage to a creature you control put a pain counter on that creature.
At the beginning of your upkeep if a creature you control has 5 or more pain counters on it and you control a Devil Transform ~
0/1
Tibalt, Master of Pain
Planswalker - Tibalt
-X: Put a Devil with converted mana cost X from your hand onto the battlefield.
-6: You get an emblem with "Red instant and sorcery spells you cast have Wither.

A few things.
1. If you want to make a Flip-'Walker, you need to use the same wording they do. "Exile ~ and return it to the battlefield transformed." Otherwise, it will flip and have 0 Loyalty counters, dying immediately.
2. Tibalt will never flip given that it takes at least 5 turns and 6 mana to do so, for extremely underwhelming effects, even if the opponent doesn't just kill the creature with pain counters on it if they cared enough to stop the flip.
3. A Tim effect on one mana is really, really powerful and versatile.

Ionbound
2015-09-07, 04:24 PM
Adele, Firemane Aspirant-1RW

Legendary Creature-Human Angel Soldier-MR

Haste, Double Strike

Battalion: When ~ attacks with two other creatures, creatures you control gain flying until the end of the turn

2/2

Fable Wright
2015-09-07, 04:28 PM
Yavina, World's Herald 1UG
Legendary Creature - Elf Shaman MR
Lands you own that are not in play are Basic in addition to their other types.
Activated abilities of lands you control cost {2} less to activate.
2/1
Amidst the shifting lands, Yavina found whole worlds undreamed of by those fearing change.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-09-08, 08:48 AM
As a thought...

It's not a bad idea. I'm still thinking, but I'll bare this one in mind. Thanks. :smallsmile:

mystic1110
2015-09-08, 09:54 AM
Michba of the Aether Spear WUR
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard Knight M
You may not cast creature spells unless a creature entered the battlefield under your control this turn.
Creatures you control have haste, flying and vigilance.
2WUR: Exile target creature, then return it to the battlefield under its owner's control. Put a copy of that creature on the battlefield. Sacrifice it at the beginning of your next upkeep.
3/3

r2d2go
2015-09-08, 09:41 PM
Heaven's Edge 1
Legendary Artifact - Equipment R
Equipped creature gets +1/+2.
Whenever a creature dealt damage by equipped creature dies, you may pay 2B. If you do, sacrifice equipped creature, then transform ~.
Equip 2
Those who toe the line...

Hell's Edge
Legendary Creature - Devil R
Trample, Deathtouch
T, 2WW - Put a 4/4 Angel token with Vigilance, First Strike, Flying and Lifelink onto the battlefield. Transform ~ and equip it to that token.
4/3
...sometimes cross it.

Ninjaman
2015-09-09, 04:35 AM
Mewan, Pristine Blade - WG
Legendary Creature - Elf Warrior - M
Whenever a nontoken creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on Mewan, Pristine Blade.
2/2

Jormengand
2015-09-09, 08:53 AM
Whenever a creature dealt damage by equipped creature dies,

Should probably have "This turn".

braveheart
2015-09-09, 12:08 PM
Heroic Candidate WW
(Artwork of a young man in armor walking down a road away from your perspective)
Creature - Human - R
First Strike
Renown 1 (If This creature deals combat damage to an opponent and isn't renown, put a +1/+1 counters on it, and it becomes renown)
If Heroic Candidate is renown and deals combat damage to an opponent transform him as long as there is no creature named Mikal the Hero of Legend on the battlefield
He shows promise, but I'm not sure if he has what it takes
2/2

//

Mikal the Hero of Legend
(Image of the same man, but grizzled, and more muscular in the same environment, but walking towards perspective)
Legendary Creature - Human - R
First strike, Vigilence
When Mikal the Hero of Legend attacks, target player taps 3 untapped permanents that they control
When Mikal the Hero of Legend deals combat damage to an opponent put a +1/+1 counter on it
It appears that my reservations were unnecessary
3/3

Saposhiente
2015-09-09, 03:26 PM
If it's legendary, I'd give Hero of Legend a specific name.

braveheart
2015-09-09, 04:02 PM
If it's legendary, I'd give Hero of Legend a specific name.

Valid point, and fixed

Fable Wright
2015-09-09, 04:22 PM
When Mikal the Hero of Legend attacks, target player taps 3 permanents that they control

This is a very weak ability.

"I choose to tap my three tapped lands." Either have Mikal restrict it to untapped permanents, or have Mikal tap three target permanents.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-09-09, 05:17 PM
Gritik, the Tiny BB
Whenever a player casts a spell with converted mana cost 2 or less, that player may put a 1/1 black imp creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
Sacrifice Gritik, the Tiny: Gain control of all imps.
1/3

Went in a different direction for him. Critique is still welcome.

braveheart
2015-09-09, 05:37 PM
This is a very weak ability.

"I choose to tap my three tapped lands." Either have Mikal restrict it to untapped permanents, or have Mikal tap three target permanents.

Thank you for pointing that out, and fixed

Demon Prince
2015-09-10, 08:13 AM
Honmaru, the Greedy Guardian 1BR
Legendary Creature - Spirit (R)

At the beginning of each of your turns, sacrifice a Land. If you do not, sacrifice Honmaru, the Greedy Guardian.
Sacrifice a permanent: Honmaru, the Greedy Guardian, gains +X/+X and trample, where X is that permanent's converted mana cost, until end of turn.

3/3

It is very rare for a temple guardian to shirk its duties. However, there are some notable exceptions...
-On the Spirit Kind and Their Uses: Volume IV

Lea Plath
2015-09-10, 06:46 PM
Marchesa, Rose Tender WUR
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
Lifelink
Empower (If a creature with empower you control would deal combat damage to an opponent with lower life than you, you may instead have them gain life equal to the damage they would of taken)
Whenever you empower a player, you gain life equal to the amount that player gained, then draw a card.
3/2

I'm working on an AU Fiore where the mechanics are more group huggy. Empower allows you to help allies while gaining something out of it. Vote returns as a mechanic that effects everyone. There are a lot of cards that reward you for having allies and "lending" stuff out ala Zedruu and then in the late game big battle ship spells to end games.

This is the alternative version of Marhesa where she is nicer, still a powerful wizard physically and politically but kinder and seeking the good of all.

Fable Wright
2015-09-10, 06:57 PM
Lifelink
Empower (If a creature with empower you control would deal combat damage to an opponent with lower life than you, you may instead have them gain life equal to the damage they would of taken)
Whenever you empower a player, you gain life equal to the amount that player gained, then draw a card.
3/2

I'm working on an AU Fiore where the mechanics are more group huggy. Empower allows you to help allies while gaining something out of it. Vote returns as a mechanic that effects everyone. There are a lot of cards that reward you for having allies and "lending" stuff out ala Zedruu and then in the late game big battle ship spells to end games.

This is the alternative version of Marhesa where she is nicer, still a powerful wizard physically and politically but kinder and seeking the good of all.
Two things.
1. You may want to reword empower if Lifelink is meant to let Marchesa gain you 6 life when you help out an ally.
2. This proposed format seems very... dull. You are actively rewarded for having the least board presence. There is very little incentive to take out the other players. Lategame, it's just going to be a question of who has the most big spells, which makes the format ever heavier on variance; the person who drafts the biggest bomb will inevitably win, whereas synergy and draft skill can offset that in a more aggressive environment. This may be my natural hatred for group hug decks talking, but this seems like the most drawn out and boring limited environment ever, with most games ending in a tie if there were timed rounds.

Blue Ghost
2015-09-12, 09:41 PM
Okay, judging time!

Demon creatures you control have haste.
{3BR}, {T}, Sacrifice Wilfred Fizzlebang: Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a Demon creature card. Put it onto the battlefield. It gains haste until end of turn. Put all other revealed cards onto the bottom of your library.
1/4

This is a really nice piece of cinematic design. Even without knowing anything about the lore, the player can get the story from a single look at the card. A reckless gnome warlock whoís really good at summoning demons, until he attempts a summoning thatís too much for him and gets himself killed. The card tells a story, and does it well.
I suppose giving demons haste represents that he can summon demons quickly? Itís not super resonant, but I think thatís mostly because there hasnít been much precedent in using haste in this manner. The flavor does work. Perhaps flash would be a better choice? Though flash isnít traditionally black or red. Incidentally this ability is what makes this a good legendary design. Without it, it would still be a compelling design, but a card thatís just a vanilla creature until it kills itself would not feel legendary.
One nitpick: In the lore, Fizzlebang succeeds in summoning Jaraxxus (accidentally), and gets killed by the demon he summoned. On the card, he dies before the summon is completed. While the scenarios are nearly identical mechanics-wise, it is a bit of a flavor glitch that hurts the resonance of the card. If you could find a way to convey the order of events without sacrificing mechanical elegance, it would improve the cinematic design so much more.
Overall, the card isnít perfect; it could stand to be improved with a bit of iteration. But itís still a really solid piece of storytelling in card form, which is what Iím really looking for in a legendary. I give it 8.5/10.

Melika, Mana Thief GUB
Legendary Creature - Human Rogue (MR)
When Melika, Mana Thief deals combat damage to a player, that player exiles a card from his or her hand. You may play that card for as long as it remains exiled, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to play that card.
T: For each card exiled by Melkia, Mana Thief, add one mana of that card's color identity to your mana pool. If that card has no color identity, instead add 1 to your mana pool.
2/2
I really preferred the first version of this card, when it just had the first ability. Itís a really evocative ability, infiltrating the opponentís defenses and stealing spells straight from their mind. Thatís really cool, and definitely worthy of a legendary.
But the second ability just doesnít belong here. The wording is really clunky and confusing; I had to read it several times before I understood what it was supposed to do. Color identity is an obscure rules term that, while it serves a function in the rulebook, really inhibits comprehension when put on the card, as well as drawing attention away from the coolness of the card and toward the rules minutiae behind it. Itís the same principle as why Wizards doesnít reference the stack on cards anymore. In addition, the second ability doesnít complement the first as much as detract from it; every turn youíre using Melika for mana, youíre not stealing cards from your opponent, and every stolen card you save for mana is one that you arenít casting. The presence of this ability just makes the card significantly less elegant and weaker design. Iím giving it a 4.5/10.

Venser, Teferiís Apprentice 1WU
Legendary Creature - Human Artificer MR
When Venser, Teferiís Apprentice enters the battlefield you may return an artifact from your graveyard to your hand.
Whenever another creature or artifact you control becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, exile that permanent and return it to the battlefield, if you do exile Venser, Teferiís Apprentice and return him to the battlefield transformed.
2/2

Venser, Prodigal Artificer
(W/B) Planeswalker - Venser MR
+1 Untap target creature or artifact.
-1 Target creature gains unblockable and vigilance until end of turn.
-5 Exile up to two target permanents. You may return them to the battlefield under their owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
Ooh, a flipwalker. Flipwalkers have five different components (not counting the numbers, which are a development issue, not a design one), so letís evaluate them one by one.
The front face: It matches what weíve seen from flipwalkers so far: a mundane effect that is useful, but not particularly exciting. Thatís a good thing; it shows how ordinary the character was before their spark ignited and they became awesome. Venserís front face accomplishes that quite well while also fitting his character perfectly. Well done.
The transform condition: Venserís player has absolutely zero control over when Venser flips. Youíre never going to get to play with his back face unless your opponent explicitly lets you. Thatís a really serious problem, and definitely needs to be redesigned.
Planeswalker ability #1: A small but significant effect, a good choice for a planeswalker + ability, and fits Venserís skillset perfectly. Good job.
Planeswalker ability #2: Unblockable is a good choice for a teleportation specialist (though note that itís not a keyword ability, so has to be written out). But why vigilance? It doesnít really synergize with unblockability all that well, and Iím not really picturing what kind of spell would make a creature both unblockable and vigilant. Also, the functionality of vigilance overlaps with the first ability.
Ultimate: So this has two modes, permanent exile and flickering. The way itís written draws attention to the flicker effect, with the exile as a second, less obvious mode. That would be good lenticular design in some circumstances; it lets players use the first mode, and then feel clever when they find the second, ďhiddenĒ mode. The problem here is that the ďhiddenĒ mode is so much stronger than the ďobviousĒ mode; itís really difficult to imagine a scenario when you would rather flicker two permanents than exile two, especially at sorcery speed. Since the majority of the words concentrate on the weaker of the two modes, it draws attention away from the more awesome thing toward the less awesome. Also, exiling two, while strong, is really underwhelming for a planeswalker ultimate that takes four or more turns to build up toward. The ultimate just fails to deliver.
In summary: Out of the five components, we have two hits, two misses, and one ďalmost thereĒ. Accordingly, I give your card a 5/10.

Umo, Nausica's Savior 1BG
Legendary Creature - Insect MR
Umo, Nausica's Savior's power and toughness are each equal to the number of forests and swamps you control.
Whenever Umo attacks, you may return a forest or swamp card from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.
Trample
*/*
Umo is far cheaper than any other creature with land-based P/T, but only counting basic land types helps to balance it out. This is an interesting build-around card that Johnny would like.
The wording of the first ability is slightly awkward. Itís fairly apparent that you mean the total number of lands with either of those land types, but itís somewhat confusing, and could possibly be improved.
I could see this in monogreen, as nothing in its abilities requires black (except for caring about swamps, but that could be eliminated, which also solves the aforementioned templating problem). But caring about the graveyard means that black doesnít feel out of place here. Being part black opens more options for being used as a commander, but also limits the kinds of decks this can go in. I donít think either is correct; itís a matter of personal preference.
All in all, a pretty nice card, and one I would be happy to see. 8/10

Gribling The Slimey 1BR
Legendary Creature - Goblin
First strike, Wither
If ~ would be dealt combat damage from a creature with a -1/-1 counter on it, prevent that damage.
2/1

Whatís the rarity here? I assume rare, since thatís the minimum for a modern legendary design, and I donít see anything that warrants mythic status.
So the concept here is a really slippery goblin who spreads (toxic?) slime over his enemies and uses that to get away from them. That is a pretty cool concept. On attacking, this is decidedly mediocre; it only deals 2 damage when unblocked and can be double blocked just as easily as any other 2/1 first striker. But on defense, it can block most things and survive, and what it doesnít kill on blocks is left permanently weakened. Thatís slightly tamer than the first strike/deathtouch combo, but still pretty strong. It could get oppressive in large quantities, but should be fine on a rare.
An issue I have with this card is, itís a 2/1 B/R goblin, with two very aggressive-sounding keywords. Itís a very aggressive-looking card, but itís mediocre on attacks while excelling on defense. Thereís a significant disconnect between expectation and result there, and it suffers aesthetically as a result.
Does this feel legendary? Not really. It doesnít have any abilities that indicate leadership or heroism, nor does it feel like it stands out from the crowd. This could be just any generic slippery goblin. A legendary should feel like, well, a legend.
Itís not a terrible design, but it has flaws, and it doesnít deliver on legendariness. 5.5/10

B, Sacrifice five creatures named Shadowborn Apostle: Search your library for a Demon creature card and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.
2/3

The effect on this card is so narrow and such an insignificant upgrade over the Shadowborn Apostle base ability that it hardly warrants a card at all, let alone a legendary one. If it reduced the number of sacrifices to two or three, I could see it working as a design, but as is, itís just really underwhelming, and I donít see a reason for its existence. 3/10

At the beginning of your upkeep if a creature you control has 3 or more pain counters on it and you control a Devil Exile ~ and return it to the battlefield transformed.
0/1
Tibalt, Master of Pain
Planswalker - Tibalt
-X: Put a Devil with converted mana cost X from your hand onto the battlefield without paying it's mana cost.

OofÖ Thereís a lot wrong with this card.
The front side is pulling in two different directions at once, with devils and pinging. While that does fit his backstory, itís really inelegant design. You should focus on one or the other.
Itís good that you added the mana cost to his pinging abilty; itís useless otherwise.
I really donít like the pain counters transform condition. Itís a huge amount of tracking complexity, and it does not lead to fun gameplay, as youíre basically completely giving up the use of Tibalt for three turns. And the controlling a devil, again, makes it too literal and unaesthetic.
The split between pain and devils continues on the backside, creating two abilities that while fine on their own, do not make sense together on the same card at all.
The ultimate is very weak. Damage spells are used to kill things. This does not let them kill anything that they couldnít already kill. Also, it has no synergy with the rest of the card.
Also, there are a lot of spelling and grammar issues. Iím fine with overlooking one or two, but too many makes the card seem very unprofessional. 2/10

Adele, Firemane Aspirant-1RW

Legendary Creature-Human Angel Soldier-MR

Haste, Double Strike

Battalion: When ~ attacks with two other creatures, creatures you control gain flying until the end of the turn

2/2

While this is certainly very strong (perhaps too strong; 4 damage on turn 3 and can trivially give your entire team flying), itís not strong in a way thatís particularly exciting. Itís just a cluster of keywords. While thatís passable design, itís not something I want to see on a legendary or a mythic. Akroma pulls it off with the sheer number of keywords, but this doesnít have the volume of keywords to make it impressive. Itís passable design (though I suspect it needs to be nerfed in development), but doesnít warrant legendary status in my opinion. 6/10

Yavina, World's Herald 1UG
Legendary Creature - Elf Shaman MR
Lands you own that are not in play are Basic in addition to their other types.
Activated abilities of lands you control cost {2} less to activate.
2/1
Amidst the shifting lands, Yavina found whole worlds undreamed of by those fearing change.

The first ability is really strange. Letting lands be treated as basics has never been done before, as far as I know, and can lead to a lot of interesting applications with basic land searching. My issue with it is that it makes no sense flavorwise. What does it mean to make the lands in your hand or library basic? Also, why does it not affect lands in play?
The second ability is quite cool. Again, something thatís new and hasnít been done before, and can lead to a lot of build-around application. I like it.
Why is it blue? Though there hasnít been precedent for either of these abilities, their connection to land makes them feel very green to me.
I think this could afford to have higher stats for the cost. Youíre playing her for her abilities, but theyíre not so powerful that you canít give her an on-par body.
Itís not really my type of card, but I think itís a pretty good design, though with those issues I pointed out. Definitely feels legendary. 7.5/10

Michba of the Aether Spear WUR
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard Knight M
You may not cast creature spells unless a creature entered the battlefield under your control this turn.
Creatures you control have haste, flying and vigilance.
2WUR: Exile target creature, then return it to the battlefield under its owner's control. Put a copy of that creature on the battlefield. Sacrifice it at the beginning of your next upkeep.
3/3

A 3/3 with flying, haste and vigilance for WUR is Standard quality, as weíve seen with Mantis Rider, and Michba gives those keywords to your entire team. Thatís a really nice use of anchoring, and makes your card feel exciting right off the bat. Of course, such a powerful card needs a drawback of some kind.
Being able to make a temporary copy of any creature at will is interesting, and certainly very exciting. Iím not sure what flickering has to do with it though.
The drawback is a real one. As itís written, youíre not likely to be casting any creature spells of relevance, since Michbaís ability will be taking up most of your mana. But Iím not sure itís enough to balance out the card. Michba plus any other creature would be enough to dominate most games.
Each part of the card is cool, but they donít really have cohesion. Iím not getting a solid sense of what Michba is about.
6/10

Heaven's Edge 1
Legendary Artifact - Equipment R
Equipped creature gets +1/+2.
Whenever a creature dealt damage by equipped creature dies, you may pay 2B. If you do, sacrifice equipped creature, then transform ~.
Equip 2
Those who toe the line...

Hell's Edge
Legendary Creature - Devil R
Trample, Deathtouch
T, 2WW - Put a 4/4 Angel token with Vigilance, First Strike, Flying and Lifelink onto the battlefield. Transform ~ and equip it to that token.
4/3
...sometimes cross it.

A sword that turns into a devil and back is really cool. Theyíve explored the concept with Elbrus, but Iím always ready to see another take on it.
This should be a demon, not a devil. MTG devils are small red critters. And angels are always contrasted with demons, never devils.
The front side is a very generic piece of equipment. Not sure why a sword would give a higher toughness boost than power. Doesnít really feel like a legendary weapon to me, though of course an ordinary sword containing a demon could still qualify as a legend.
The trigger on killing a creature means that if the equipped creature isnít blocked, the card wonít transform. That puts the control of the transformation on the opponent, which does not feel good, especially when the transformation is the entire point of the card.
So when the equipped creature kills something, it dies, and the sword turns into a devil? Is that supposed to represent the creature itself turning into the devil? I can see that working, and one could make an argument that when that happens, the original creature is dead. But that does not make sense considering the back side of the card.
On the back side, the creature is now a devil, but by tapping and paying mana, it can summon an angel token with a lot of keywords, and return to being a sword to be wielded by the angel. So, why does the angel have so many keywords? Is it supposed to be a particular figure? Tokens are generally meant to be generic. Is it supposed to represent the power granted by the sword? Then you should put those abilities on the sword, not on the token.
Also, why is this a tap ability? So it canít be used after attacking? Is that worth the inelegance of ending up with a tapped equipment attached to a creature?
This card looks like itís supposed to be telling a story, but Iím not sure what that is. A sword that tempts angels into falling and becoming demons? Then why would it start out without the angel, and then create an angel after becoming a demon? Is it a being that goes back and forth between being an angel and a demon? Then why does it start off as a sword? Iím sorry, but I cannot make sense of what youíre trying to do. Whatever the story is, if someone cannot easily see what it is, the card fails at telling it. 3/10

Mewan, Pristine Blade - WG
Legendary Creature - Elf Warrior - M
Whenever a nontoken creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on Mewan, Pristine Blade.
2/2

A simple but satisfying design. I like it. Champion of the Parish was a really powerful card, and Mewan, as a riff of it, looks to be just as powerful. I think the power level is there to justify legendary, and the simplicity is a point in its favor, but I would expect a mythic rare to be more flashy. I think Mewan would be better off as a regular rare.
Should specify ďanother nontoken creatureĒ to avoid confusion as to whether it triggers itself. If you wanted it to trigger itself, you should write ďMewan, Pristine Blade or another nontoken creature,Ē but thereís really no reason to do that, as you could then just raise the stats by +1/+1 and achieve the same mechanical effect with a much more exciting-looking card.
I would have liked to see flavor text here. Thereís certainly room for it on the card.
The card has some flaws, but itís still quite a good design. 8/10

Heroic Candidate WW
(Artwork of a young man in armor walking down a road away from your perspective)
Creature - Human - R
First Strike
Renown 1 (If This creature deals combat damage to an opponent and isn't renown, put a +1/+1 counters on it, and it becomes renown)
If Heroic Candidate is renown and deals combat damage to an opponent transform him as long as there is no creature named Mikal the Hero of Legend on the battlefield
He shows promise, but I'm not sure if he has what it takes
2/2

//

Mikal the Hero of Legend
(Image of the same man, but grizzled, and more muscular in the same environment, but walking towards perspective)
Legendary Creature - Human - R
First strike, Vigilence
When Mikal the Hero of Legend attacks, target player taps 3 untapped permanents that they control
When Mikal the Hero of Legend deals combat damage to an opponent put a +1/+1 counter on it
It appears that my reservations were unnecessary
3/3

Iíve been playing with the idea of creatures that transform into legendaries after they get some combat experience, and renown is a good mechanic to use to pull that off. I think dealing damage twice is a good place for the transformation to take place.
The transformation condition reads very awkwardly. I get that youíre trying to prevent legend rule conflicts, but that could be achieved much more elegantly by simply making the transformation optional.
So he starts as a 2/2 with first strike for WW, which is fair. After he transforms, he gains vigilance, which is also good. But the tapping ability is just weird. When it attacks, target player (who isnít necessarily the same player it attacked) taps three things of their choice? Iím not sure what thatís supposed to signify, or exactly what kind of gameplay thatís supposed to promote. Encouraging opponents to leave mana open? Itís a really weird ability, and lacks any flavor resonance, which is really important for a legendary hero.
Why does he not have a class? Does a legendary hero not know how to fight?
Lots of spelling and grammar issues. Please use punctuation; it makes a huge difference in impression.
A decent idea, but the execution could stand to be improved. 5/10

Gritik, the Tiny BB
Whenever a player casts a spell with converted mana cost 2 or less, that player may put a 1/1 black imp creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
Sacrifice Gritik, the Tiny: Gain control of all imps.
1/3

This is interesting. For the controller, Gritik generates a constant stream of imps as long as theyíre playing tiny things, while the opponent, who is presumably playing bigger things, gets punished. For the opponent(s), thereís the tension of whether or not to make imps. They could use the imps to defend against the ones youíre inevitably making, and to encourage you to sacrifice Gritik, but the more imps they make, the more theyíre growing your army when you decide to pop him. Iím really not sure whether or not that kind of tension is fun. Some players would enjoy it, while others wouldnít. My gut feeling is that it would lead to less fun gameplay overall due to analysis paralysis, but it could also well lead to more interesting decision making in the game. Itís interesting, and would be worth trying out.
Is it intentional that he doesnít have flying while the tokens he makes does?
7.5/10 for a cool card that makes people think.

Honmaru, the Greedy Guardian 1BR
Legendary Creature - Spirit (R)

At the beginning of each of your turns, sacrifice a Land. If you do not, sacrifice Honmaru, the Greedy Guardian.
Sacrifice a permanent: Honmaru, the Greedy Guardian, gains +X/+X and trample, where X is that permanent's converted mana cost, until end of turn.

3/3

It is very rare for a temple guardian to shirk its duties. However, there are some notable exceptions...
-On the Spirit Kind and Their Uses: Volume IV

The drawback of sacrificing lands is really annoying, and it would turn most people off from the card immediately. Itís good that itís not mandatory, but youíre still going to have to sacrifice at least one land to get any use out of this guy, and that feels really bad. Sacrificing lands to get a bonus is fine, but doing it just to keep a card around is not appealing.
The second ability is reminiscent of Nantuko Husk, which is a pretty cool card. The addition of trample makes it significantly more risky to print, as it can be easily used to end games out of nowhere. It also disincentivizes blocking, which removes a lot of the decision-making that makes Nantuko Husk fun.
Not really seeing the red here. I guess the trample could be counted as red, but overall, this card feels strongly monoblack.
I feel like the design could be improved significantly by the addition of haste. That way, you can get at least one attack off, and then wouldnít feel nearly as bad if you decided not to sacrifice a land for it next turn. Though then the second ability would definitely need to be nerfed so it doesnít always win the game out of nowhere.
Interesting concept, but doesnít look like it would be good for gameplay. 4/10

Lifelink
3/2

I share DMofDarknessís concerns about the proposed group hug format. Group hug is fun for some people, but many multiplayer players absolutely hate it, because it reduces the role of skill in the game and drags games on. Even players that like group hug probably wouldnít like it if that was the only thing played.
Multiplayer Magic is by nature a competitive game, and group hug actively works against that. Perhaps thatís a good thing, as it changes the way the game is played, but Iím not sure how sustainable a group hug format is. The game has to end eventually, and for that to happen, the hugging has to stop.
Empower as a mechanic has some issues. Its counterpart, dethrone, was a good mechanic for multiplayer because it pushes games toward their conclusion by encouraging attacking and helping players make the choice of who to attack. Empower, on the other hand, actively drags games on and keeps them away from their natural conclusion. While a few cards like that can be fine in a multiplayer set, I donít think making an entire mechanic around that is a good idea.
Itís interesting that you donít make the choice whether or not to empower until after the attack gets through. That creates some tension, and makes the mechanic somewhat more sinister, as when youíre attacked by an empower creature, youíre never really sure if the intention is benevolent. Something to consider when developing the mechanic.
Marchesa as a card is pretty decent. A good empower lord, and feels like the benevolent governess that this version of her is. The issue with the lifelink interaction that DMofDarkness pointed out is a problem; Iíd replace lifelink with some other ability to avoid confusion with empower.
The card and the proposed format are interesting to explore, but they have a lot of potential issues like DMofDarkness and I said. Iíd be willing to see how it plays out, but Iím somewhat tentative about it. 6.5/10
LaZodiac, with Wilfred Fizzlebang, for an exciting cinematic design that tells an evocative story.

tgva8889
2015-09-12, 09:49 PM
Yeah, I decided to design a Sultai Tiny Leader and didn't go back to the drawing board to find real mechanics because I was lazy.

Congrats to the winner!

LaZodiac
2015-09-12, 10:11 PM
Woohoo! Lets see, our next contest is...

Bring me a Quest! Create a card that uses Quest Counters!

Fable Wright
2015-09-12, 10:29 PM
The first ability is really strange. Letting lands be treated as basics has never been done before, as far as I know, and can lead to a lot of interesting applications with basic land searching. My issue with it is that it makes no sense flavorwise. What does it mean to make the lands in your hand or library basic? Also, why does it not affect lands in play?
The second ability is quite cool. Again, something thatís new and hasnít been done before, and can lead to a lot of build-around application. I like it.
Why is it blue? Though there hasnít been precedent for either of these abilities, their connection to land makes them feel very green to me.
I think this could afford to have higher stats for the cost. Youíre playing her for her abilities, but theyíre not so powerful that you canít give her an on-par body.
Itís not really my type of card, but I think itís a pretty good design, though with those issues I pointed out. Definitely feels legendary. 7.5/10

For reference, the reasons why lands in play don't get that basic treatment is the interaction with cards like Domain. If you have a Breeding Pool, and Island, and a Forest, does Domain count as 3 or 2? Do lands without Basic land types count as having them? In all, the easiest and cleanest solution was to just make lands not in play Basic.

The flavor of making them Basic was tied to the world that I didn't necessarily explain well with the flavor text. Yavina is from a world with a force similar to Zendikar's Roil, but only in uninhabited areas. There, the land is in flux, and mana is different; it doesn't cleanly divide into WUBRG anymore, but it produces, for lack of a better word, inherently hybrid mana like you might get from Seaside Citadel, and is prone to getting up and walking like Zendikar manlands. In that world, a Breeding Pool is as fundamental and unique as a mana producer as a regular Forest or Island, and some spells you could only cast from mana on said pool.

Mechanically, the blue was there because it's Blue's thing to change land types; Trait Doctoring, Grixis Illusionist, Spreading Seas etc. all show that modifying lands is Blue's thing, while Green is just about getting more of them.

Blue Ghost
2015-09-13, 12:01 AM
For reference, the reasons why lands in play don't get that basic treatment is the interaction with cards like Domain. If you have a Breeding Pool, and Island, and a Forest, does Domain count as 3 or 2? Do lands without Basic land types count as having them? In all, the easiest and cleanest solution was to just make lands not in play Basic.

The flavor of making them Basic was tied to the world that I didn't necessarily explain well with the flavor text. Yavina is from a world with a force similar to Zendikar's Roil, but only in uninhabited areas. There, the land is in flux, and mana is different; it doesn't cleanly divide into WUBRG anymore, but it produces, for lack of a better word, inherently hybrid mana like you might get from Seaside Citadel, and is prone to getting up and walking like Zendikar manlands. In that world, a Breeding Pool is as fundamental and unique as a mana producer as a regular Forest or Island, and some spells you could only cast from mana on said pool.

Mechanically, the blue was there because it's Blue's thing to change land types; Trait Doctoring, Grixis Illusionist, Spreading Seas etc. all show that modifying lands is Blue's thing, while Green is just about getting more of them.

The concern about Domain is a fair one, and not one I had thought about. Is domain a mechanic in the environment? If not, I don't think it's a major issue. Basic land types are well defined in the rules, and I wouldn't judge a small amount of potential easily-resolved confusion when interacting with an old mechanic would be worth the loss of elegance, especially when the card is at rare and thus doesn't need to adhere to NWO. Of course, you're free to disagree.

I'm not sure how the world you describe relates to the subject of making lands basic. Are there mechanics in the set that deal with basic lands that would explain the ability?

I suppose the argument for blue is fair. None of those add a new supertype to lands, and I feel like making lands basic still feels more green than blue. But I suppose those cards could be precedent.

Jormengand
2015-09-13, 06:31 AM
Quest of Dragonslaying 1W
Enchantment - R
Whenever a dragon dies, put a quest counter on Quest of Dragonslaying.
Sacrifice Quest of Dragonslaying with 3 or more Quest counters on it: Put a 5/5 white human warrior creature token with reach and protection from red onto the battlefield under your control.

Mystic Muse
2015-09-13, 07:14 AM
Quest for The Holy Grail WWBB

Sorcery MR (Un)

Choose a glass in the room in secret, and write down which glass it is. Your opponent guesses which glass you chose. If that player chooses correctly, they win the game. If that player chooses incorrectly, they lose the game.

"You have chosen...poorly"

This isn't an actual entry, I just felt like being silly. :smalltongue: I'll think of something MUCH better later.

tgva8889
2015-09-13, 04:10 PM
Does your definition of "quest" mean "follows the design constraints of all the quests featured in Zendikar block"? Or can I mix up the formula a little bit, so long as I use quest counters?

LaZodiac
2015-09-13, 04:30 PM
As long as you use Quest Counters it's good.

tgva8889
2015-09-13, 04:51 PM
Aspiring Hero W
Creature - Human (R)
When Aspiring Hero is dealt combat damage, put a quest counter on it.
Aspiring Hero gets +1/+1 for each quest counter on it.
Aspiring Hero has vigilance when it has 2 or more quest counters on it, lifelink when it has 3 or more quest counters on it, and indestructible when it has 4 or more quest counters on it.
1/1

I think this qualifies as a quest of sorts. It certainly feels like a quest to fully empower!

Edit: I realized that the card I made could be done in a much simpler way, and so I'm not going to submit it because it meets contest requirements by force and not in a clean way.

Completing the Puzzle 1U
Enchantment (R)
Tap an untapped creature you control: Put a quest counter on Completing the Puzzle.
Remove six quest counters from Completing the Puzzle: Name a nonland card, then reveal the top card of your library. If that card is the named card, sacrifice Completing the Puzzle. If you do, you may cast the named card without paying its mana cost. If it is a permanent card, put three tokens onto the battlefield that are copies of it. If it is an instant or sorcery card, copy that spell three times.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-09-13, 05:31 PM
Is it intentional that he doesnít have flying while the tokens he makes does?
Sorta. He had flying at first, then I changed it for whatever reason, and then I meant to give him flying back but never did.

Build the Defences W
Enchantment - U
Tap an untapped creature you control: put a quest counter on ~. Activate this ability only during your upkeep.
As long as ~ has 4 or more quest counters on it, your opponents may only attack with one creature each combat.

mystic1110
2015-09-16, 09:27 AM
Questing Shoes 0
Artifact - Equipment [U]
Equipped creature has +X/+X where X is the amount of quest counters on permanents you control.
Equip 0
At the start of every great adventure is not a mystical sword or a legendary shield, but just a good pair of boots.

Medival Wombat
2015-09-16, 05:58 PM
Iron Cloud Equipment Center
Rare Land
~comes into the battlefield tapped
T: add 1 to your manapool
Everytime a friendly, non-token artifact enters the battlefield, add a questcounter to ~
As long, as there are 6 or more questcounter on ~, you can tap ~ to equip a friendy equipment as an instant without paying its equipment cost.
The agents of Iron Cloud are glad for every second their rusty companions can offer to arm themself

LaZodiac
2015-09-16, 07:35 PM
Just some formatting issues with this one that I'm pointing out. Rarity comes after types and is usually in (these things) and the terminology for "friendly" is creatures you control.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-09-16, 10:39 PM
Mandatory Side-quest 1W
Enchantment - Aura Curse Quest R
Enchant Player
Enchanted player can't win the game and his or her opponents can't lose the game.
Whenever enchanted player plays a card, put a Quest counter on Mandatory Side-quest. Then, if it has 4 or more Quest counters on it, sacrifice it.

(Note: I'm not really sure how many counters to give this thing to make it balanced. There are a lot of factors... it would probably require some development and play testing.)

Zaydos
2015-09-16, 10:45 PM
Hold the Walls 2W
Enchantment R
Whenever a creature attacking you or a planeswalker you control dies put a quest counter on ~.
Creatures you control gain +0/+X as long as they are not attacking where X is the number of quest counters on ~.

Ninjaman
2015-09-16, 11:44 PM
@Dr.Gunsforhands
Am I too much of a spike for looking at your card and thinking of it as a cheaper phyrexian unlife?

Destiny Blade - 2
Artifact - Equipment - M
Equipped creature gets +2/+1.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage, put a quest counter on destiny Blade, then if Destiny Blade has five or more quest counters on it, transform it.
Equip 2
--------
Blade of Fate
Artifact - Equipment - M
Equipped creature gets +4/+2 and has trample.
Equip 2

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-09-17, 12:58 AM
@Dr.Gunsforhands
Am I too much of a spike for looking at your card and thinking of it as a cheaper phyrexian unlife?

Maybe even not enough of one... I think the key difference is that PU still works even if you play it a few turns early; an opponent can finish the sidequest just with incidental gameplay. Of course, the sidequest is much harder to deal with if an opponent is already in topdeck mode, which is why I'm having so much trouble deciding on the number of counters. I might need to cut the requirement in half.

They're both still useless for countering Storm, though. :smalltongue:

Blue Ghost
2015-09-17, 03:37 PM
Intrepid Quester W
Creature - Human Soldier Ally (U)
Whenever one or more quest counters are placed on a Quest you control, put a +1/+1 counter on Intrepid Quester.
"Others may quest for gold or glory, but for me, the quest is its own reward."
1/1

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Intrepid%20Quester_zpsxnm5ddvp.jpg

Ionbound
2015-09-17, 10:43 PM
Quest for the Lotus Field-0

Enchantment-MR

Sacrifice a Land: Add a quest counter to ~

When ~ has three or more quest counters on it, sacrifice ~. If you do, add three mana of any one color to your mana pool.

In the name of such beauty, no sacrifice is too great.

Saposhiente
2015-09-18, 03:30 AM

Enchantment-MR

When ~ has three or more quest counters on it, sacrifice ~. If you do, add three mana of any one color to your mana pool.

The use of quest counters here is too unnecessary; the second ability may as well read "Sacrifice ~ and three lands:" in most circumstances.

Fable Wright
2015-09-18, 09:34 AM
The use of quest counters here is too unnecessary; the second ability may as well read "Sacrifice ~ and three lands:" in most circumstances.

I mean, if you're playing against a deck like Living End with their use of Fulminator Mage, saccing the land for benefit later seems nice. Or if you want to get your tokens out of God's Eye, Gate to the Reiko for some reason. Or if you want to wipe your lands for Restore Balance.

This is a sacrifice engine with an upside.

braveheart
2015-09-18, 11:07 AM
Journey of Heroes 1W
Enchantment - U
Whenever a creature you control becomes renown put a quest counter on Journey of Heroes.
As long as there are 3 or more quest counters on Journey of Heroes, creatures you control get +2/+2

Ninjaman
2015-09-19, 08:43 AM

I mean, if you're playing against a deck like Living End with their use of Fulminator Mage, saccing the land for benefit later seems nice. Or if you want to get your tokens out of God's Eye, Gate to the Reiko for some reason. Or if you want to wipe your lands for Restore Balance.

This is a sacrifice engine with an upside.

It also generates so much value with Flagstones of Trokair.

LaZodiac
2015-09-19, 03:43 PM
DANZAI!

Quest of Dragonslaying 1W
Enchantment - R
Whenever a dragon dies, put a quest counter on Quest of Dragonslaying.
Sacrifice Quest of Dragonslaying with 3 or more Quest counters on it: Put a 5/5 white human warrior creature token with reach and protection from red onto the battlefield under your control.

This is a pretty interesting quest, but it's got some problems. Firstly, just a small formatting thing, it should probably be an Enchantment - Quest if it's going to be an enchantment. After that...this is kind of rough because you're almost never going to be sure your enemy has enough dragons to die for this to work, so it's mostly going to be your dragons that die. But then, how many times are a dragon going to die in a given game? From a Limited perspective this isn't super great, and it seems like a flavor fail that it's a quest to kill your own dragons.

Quest for The Holy Grail WWBB

Sorcery MR (Un)

Choose a glass in the room in secret, and write down which glass it is. Your opponent guesses which glass you chose. If that player chooses correctly, they win the game. If that player chooses incorrectly, they lose the game.

"You have chosen...poorly"

This isn't an actual entry, I just felt like being silly. :smalltongue: I'll think of something MUCH better later.

Sadly, no better card, but I still think this is alright. It turns it into a guessing game and that kinda sucks, though flavor wise it works. As unset cards go it might be okay, but I think it'd need some slight modifications to make it fair while also silly.

Aspiring Hero W
Creature - Human (R)
When Aspiring Hero is dealt combat damage, put a quest counter on it.
Aspiring Hero gets +1/+1 for each quest counter on it.
Aspiring Hero has vigilance when it has 2 or more quest counters on it, lifelink when it has 3 or more quest counters on it, and indestructible when it has 4 or more quest counters on it.
1/1

I think this qualifies as a quest of sorts. It certainly feels like a quest to fully empower!

Edit: I realized that the card I made could be done in a much simpler way, and so I'm not going to submit it because it meets contest requirements by force and not in a clean way.

Completing the Puzzle 1U
Enchantment (R)
Tap an untapped creature you control: Put a quest counter on Completing the Puzzle.
Remove six quest counters from Completing the Puzzle: Name a nonland card, then reveal the top card of your library. If that card is the named card, sacrifice Completing the Puzzle. If you do, you may cast the named card without paying its mana cost. If it is a permanent card, put three tokens onto the battlefield that are copies of it. If it is an instant or sorcery card, copy that spell three times.

This is actually really interesting, but I actually think it might be better not being a quest and instead being just the guessing game part of it. That aside it is good, and pretty strong. But yeah, doesn't really feel like much of a quest, persay.

Sorta. He had flying at first, then I changed it for whatever reason, and then I meant to give him flying back but never did.

Build the Defences W
Enchantment - U
Tap an untapped creature you control: put a quest counter on ~. Activate this ability only during your upkeep.
As long as ~ has 4 or more quest counters on it, your opponents may only attack with one creature each combat.

I actually really like the flavor of this, though it doesn't REALLY feel like a QUEST quest. IT's also lacking the Quest subtype (though most of the entries that are enchantments are). I think the effect is really powerful and flavorful, and I like how you can only untapp them during the upkeep, which is actually pretty fair. But yeah, the only real flaw here is that it doesn't REALLY seem like a Quest flavor wise?

Questing Shoes 0
Artifact - Equipment [U]
Equipped creature has +X/+X where X is the amount of quest counters on permanents you control.
Equip 0
At the start of every great adventure is not a mystical sword or a legendary shield, but just a good pair of boots.

These are kind of odd. A zero cost to play, zero cost to equip equipment is kind of silly. It should be something really special if it's that, like say the Lightning Greaves which are super fast and lightningy and stuff. I do see where you're coming from though, and I do like the flavor! I also really like how you did try to do something related to Quest counters that wasn't itself a Quest, which is what I had hoped for more of. The only problem with this is that, after you've "finished" a quest, it can be hard to remember to keep on putting counters on it, and arguably redundant, so it might be hard to utilize this equipment. It's still good of course, it's just something that if you have it and are keeping it in mind, it'll make remembering upkeep stuff harder.

Iron Cloud Equipment Center
Rare Land
~comes into the battlefield tapped
T: add 1 to your manapool
Everytime a friendly, non-token artifact enters the battlefield, add a questcounter to ~
As long, as there are 6 or more questcounter on ~, you can tap ~ to equip a friendy equipment as an instant without paying its equipment cost.
The agents of Iron Cloud are glad for every second their rusty companions can offer to arm themself

There's quite a bit of formatting issues on this card, but I'll try to overlook them. That being said, it's a land taht puts counters on it and stuff. Personally, I'm not a big fan of that and think it makes things too cluttered. It also...doesn't feel like a quest at all. I'm sure there is a flavor thing I'm just not seeing, but the point is I'm not seeing it.

Mandatory Side-quest 1W
Enchantment - Aura Curse Quest R
Enchant Player
Enchanted player can't win the game and his or her opponents can't lose the game.
Whenever enchanted player plays a card, put a Quest counter on Mandatory Side-quest. Then, if it has 4 or more Quest counters on it, sacrifice it.

(Note: I'm not really sure how many counters to give this thing to make it balanced. There are a lot of factors... it would probably require some development and play testing.)

This is pretty interesting. I don't thiiink it needs to be subtype Aura, but I do like how it's both a curse and a quest. That said, I think this isn't super great flavor wise. I mean it IS good and funny, but a mandatory side quest shouldn't be something you can do so easily as part of the main game. It should be a side thing. Playing cards is what you're always doing here, so it's less side quest and more main quest.

Hold the Walls 2W
Enchantment R
Whenever a creature attacking you or a planeswalker you control dies put a quest counter on ~.
Creatures you control gain +0/+X as long as they are not attacking where X is the number of quest counters on ~.

Flavorwise this is quite similier to Diego Havoc's card, but I feel lke mechanically it carries off a more "quest like" feel. It's missing the Quest subtype but that's ignorable in this contest honestly. But yeah, I do like this card, and I do like the idea of a quest that never really ends since it's like an addendum to the game you're playing. IT feels very quest like in flavor, like defending Hog's Gate in 300. I like it.

Intrepid Quester W
Creature - Human Soldier Ally (U)
Whenever one or more quest counters are placed on a Quest you control, put a +1/+1 counter on Intrepid Quester.
"Others may quest for gold or glory, but for me, the quest is its own reward."
1/1

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Intrepid%20Quester_zpsxnm5ddvp.jpg

This is quite interesting, and I honestly expected more of this. I like how it's an Ally, which fits well with the flavor of what they are. Adventurers through and through! I like how you try to make the interaction with the Quest counters elegant, though it's pretty tough I've noticed going over it in my head myself. Unlike the Questing Boots above, this one doesn't care about quests until it's on the field so it's less of a headache.

Enchantment-MR

Not a big fan of this. Flavor wise it's a quest, but the mechanics fall flat. I also don't think this card is really that good? You're givin up three lands to get three mana of any colour, so you're not really gaining any mana. And you're GOING to be saccing all three lands at once like everyone said. It's interesting, but it doesn't really feel like a quest.

Journey of Heroes 1W
Enchantment - U
Whenever a creature you control becomes renown put a quest counter on Journey of Heroes.
As long as there are 3 or more quest counters on Journey of Heroes, creatures you control get +2/+2

I'll admit, mixing Renown with Quests is a really cool flavor thing. That said, Renown really feels like more of it's own reward, so this is definitely a "win more" style card. It's also really simple, not exciting. Good, but not great.

The winner of this contest is...Zaydos!

Zaydos
2015-09-19, 04:00 PM
*blinks a few times*

I guess I have to choose the challenge this time.

How about:

Create a (big) creature with "When ~ is put into a graveyard from anywhere, shuffle it into its owner's library."

Beacon of Chaos
2015-09-19, 04:14 PM
Congrats to Zaydos!

I actually really like the flavor of this, though it doesn't REALLY feel like a QUEST quest. IT's also lacking the Quest subtype (though most of the entries that are enchantments are). I think the effect is really powerful and flavorful, and I like how you can only untapp them during the upkeep, which is actually pretty fair. But yeah, the only real flaw here is that it doesn't REALLY seem like a Quest flavor wise?
I feel exactly the same way. As soon as I made it I was thinking "is this really a quest?" Unfortunately I couldn't think how to refluff it so I just left it as is.

And I simply forgot that quest was a subtype. :smallredface:

Ninjaman
2015-09-19, 05:35 PM
You missed my card.

LaZodiac
2015-09-19, 06:00 PM
Oops! I'm sorry Ninjaman! I'll fix that...

@Dr.Gunsforhands

Destiny Blade - 2
Artifact - Equipment - M
Equipped creature gets +2/+1.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage, put a quest counter on destiny Blade, then if Destiny Blade has five or more quest counters on it, transform it.
Equip 2
--------
Blade of Fate
Artifact - Equipment - M
Equipped creature gets +4/+2 and has trample.
Equip 2

This is...an interesting card. I'm glad that it's a card that isn't an enchantment, since that seemed the easy route to me, but the problem is I don't think this isn't all that impressive. It's a blade destined for glory, but all it does is give a really big boost and trample. Basically, it's an alright card, and I like the design of it, I just feel it's not impressive enough. Something called Blade of Fate should have more oomph to it, flavor wise.

Congrats to Zaydos!

I feel exactly the same way. As soon as I made it I was thinking "is this really a quest?" Unfortunately I couldn't think how to refluff it so I just left it as is.

Basically almost everyone did so it's okay :smallamused:

Ionbound
2015-09-19, 06:08 PM
Drana, the Infinite Thirst-12

Legendary Creature-Eldrazi

When you cast ~, all creatures your enemies control get -6/-6.

If any cards would enter your opponent's graveyard, exile them instead.

When ~ attacks, place a +1/+1 counter on each colorless creature you control.

When ~ is put into a graveyard from anywhere, shuffle it into its owner's library.

7/7

Jormengand
2015-09-19, 06:34 PM
Psion Uncarnate 4UUU
Creature - Wizard R
When Psion Uncarnate is put into a graveyard from anywhere, shuffle it into its owner's library instead. Then draw a card. If that card is called "Psion Uncarnate" you may reveal it and put it onto the battlefield under your control.
Mind over matter, magic over mind.
4/5

tgva8889
2015-09-19, 09:29 PM

Well that's a good thing, because I just checked and it's not. :smalltongue:

Growing Madness 1UUBB
Creature - Horror (MR)
Growing Madness has power and toughness equal to the number of exiled cards you own.
When Growing Madness is put into a graveyard from anywhere, shuffle it into its owner's library, then that player reveals cards from the top of his or her library until they reveal a card named Growing Madness. That player puts that card into his or her hand, then exiles the rest.
*/*

Fable Wright
2015-09-19, 10:03 PM

Growing Madness 1UB
Creature - Horror (MR)
Growing Madness has power and toughness equal to the number of exiled cards you own.
When Growing Madness is put into a graveyard from anywhere, shuffle it into its owner's library, then that player reveals cards from the top of his or her library until they reveal a card named Growing Madness. That player puts that card into his or her hand, then exiles the rest.
*/*

So for three mana, I can all but guarantee my Shelldock Isle activation and get a 15/15 creature for 3 in my hand? Or if I run with Tasigurmag, get a 4/4+ that grows constantly and only punishes the opponent more for gravehate?

Seems legit.

tgva8889
2015-09-20, 01:13 AM
Maybe. Maybe not. You're certainly making some assumptions about what may or may not happen when this card dies. I've changed some things in any case. Although I think the card is actually better in Modern if I increase the cost.

Blue Ghost
2015-09-20, 06:11 PM
Rimefeather Phoenix 1RR
Creature - Phoenix (R)
Flying, haste
While you're searching your library, you may cast Rimefeather Phoenix from your library.
When Rimefeather Phoenix is put into a graveyard from anywhere, shuffle it into its owner's library.
2/2

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Rimefeather%20Phoenix_zpswxfmkiiy.jpg

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-09-20, 07:54 PM
Plunging Kraken 6U
Creature - Kraken R
- This creature gains flying until end of turn
- This creature can't be blocked by creatures with flying until end of turn
Whenever this card is put into a graveyard from anywhere, each player shuffles his or her graveyard into his or her library.
7/7

CantigThimble
2015-09-20, 09:04 PM
Prophecy 3UU
Creature - Incarnation MR
Miracle 2U
When Prophecy is put into the graveyard from anywhere, shuffle it into its ownerís library and scry 3.
5/5

SoÖ Iím not an expert in legacy combo self-mill BS. If this is busted beyond belief because legacy please tell me.

Fable Wright
2015-09-20, 09:11 PM
Prophecy 4UU
Miracle 2U
When Prophecy is put into itís ownerís graveyard from anywhere, shuffle it into its ownerís library and scry 3.
5/5

SoÖ Iím not an expert in legacy combo self-mill BS. If this is busted beyond belief because legacy please tell me.

It is not at all. Scry 3 is fairly weak.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-09-23, 02:56 PM
Firecrasher Herd 4RRR
Creature - Beast - MR
Trample
Whenever Firecrasher Herd deals combat damage to a player, put a 3/2 beast creature token named "Firecrasher" onto the battlefield with "Whenever a beast is put into a graveyard from anywhere, Firecrasher deals 1 damage to target creature or player."
When Firecrasher Herd is put into a graveyard from anywhere, shuffle it into its owner's library.
8/5

Warmatt
2015-09-23, 03:06 PM
Cyber Troll 8
Enchantment Creature- Demon Spirit R
Provoke
When Cyber Troll is put into a graveyard from anywhere, shuffle it into its owner's library, and place a 3/3 colorless Enchantment Artifact Creature token called Trolling Virus onto the field under your control with Provoke and "When ~ is destroyed, place two copies of ~ onto the field."
"No matter how many times we get rid of them, more and more just show up!"
6/3

Mystic Muse
2015-09-23, 06:43 PM
I'm not really sure why it's an enchantment, artifact, spirit, or even demon, especially since all of that wouldn't fit on the typeline.

Warmatt
2015-09-23, 06:48 PM
I removed Artifact and Troll. But really, what else is a computer virus themed card supposed to be:smallamused:

mystic1110
2015-09-24, 10:05 AM
Marvel 1WUBRG
Creature - Incarnation [R]
When ~ enters the battlefield look at the top four cards of your library, exile one face down, then put the rest on the bottom of your library.
When ~ is put into a graveyard from anywhere, shuffle it into its owner's library, if you do you may cast a card exiled by ~ without paying its mana cost and as if it had flash.
8/8

Zaydos
2015-09-26, 11:50 PM
Drana, the Infinite Thirst-12

Legendary Creature-Eldrazi

When you cast ~, all creatures your enemies control get -6/-6.

If any cards would enter your opponent's graveyard, exile them instead.

When ~ attacks, place a +1/+1 counter on each colorless creature you control.

When ~ is put into a graveyard from anywhere, shuffle it into its owner's library.

7/7

This is the sort of thing I expected to see. I might have dropped the cost by 1 or increased the power by 2?

Psion Uncarnate 4UUU
Creature - Wizard R
When Psion Uncarnate is put into a graveyard from anywhere, shuffle it into its owner's library instead. Then draw a card. If that card is called "Psion Uncarnate" you may reveal it and put it onto the battlefield under your control.
Mind over matter, magic over mind.
4/5
I like it, it turns the anti-resurrection clause into a neat tool, except for the fact that it's really overcosted. You could have made it 4U and R or 3UU and U and it'd be a pretty cool.

Growing Madness 1UUBB
Creature - Horror (MR)
*/*

Definitely better balanced at 5 than 3. My first thought with it is one of them and Laboratory Maniac. It reminds me in a lot of way of Mirror-Mad Phantasm but is a lot better for some things (beating down people and Laboratory Maniac) and a lot worse for others (filling your graveyard).

Rimefeather Phoenix 1RR
Creature - Phoenix (R)
Flying, haste
While you're searching your library, you may cast Rimefeather Phoenix from your library.
When Rimefeather Phoenix is put into a graveyard from anywhere, shuffle it into its owner's library.
2/2

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Rimefeather%20Phoenix_zpswxfmkiiy.jpg

Reminds me of Panglacial Wurm. Could be pretty competitive in a block with good fetch. Again turns the anti resurrection clause into a benefit and combines that beautifully with Panglacial Wurm's effect.

Plunging Kraken 6U
Creature - Kraken R
- This creature gains flying until end of turn
- This creature can't be blocked by creatures with flying until end of turn
Whenever this card is put into a graveyard from anywhere, each player shuffles his or her graveyard into his or her library.
7/7

Practically, but not quite, a 7/7 unblockable for 7 with the anti-res clause. Not bad, but I don't really like the design of its evasion, just seems clunky.

Prophecy 3UU
Miracle 2U
When Prophecy is put into the graveyard from anywhere, shuffle it into its ownerís library and scry 3.
5/5

5/5 for 5 that can be for 3 with a thing that makes you happy when it dies. The miracle is a nice touch and all in all I quite like the card. It's nasty if you luck into drawing it as soon as you could play it, but even then it's before you land drop for turn.

Firecrasher Herd 4RRR
Creature - Beast - MR
Trample
Whenever Firecrasher Herd deals combat damage to a player, put a 3/2 beast creature token named "Firecrasher" onto the battlefield with "Whenever a beast is put into a graveyard from anywhere, Firecrasher deals 1 damage to target creature or player."
When Firecrasher Herd is put into a graveyard from anywhere, shuffle it into its owner's library.
8/5

Big and nasty. Hits hard if they don't kill it, and every attack you get off means that much more value. Of course like Giant Adephage you won't be getting off many attacks, either the game will end or they will kill it. Overall it's a worse Giant Adephage and as someone Timmy enough to love random big green creatures Giant Adephage is not one of the best. I think it could have used Haste.

Cyber Troll 8
Enchantment Creature- Demon Spirit R
Provoke
When Cyber Troll is put into a graveyard from anywhere, shuffle it into its owner's library, and place a 3/3 colorless Enchantment Artifact Creature token called Trolling Virus onto the field under your control with Provoke and "When ~ is destroyed, place two copies of ~ onto the field."
"No matter how many times we get rid of them, more and more just show up!"
6/3

So I play Buried Alive to get two creatures to reanimate and a 3/3 that multiplies and has provoke to force its multiplication. I don't super like it.

Marvel 1WUBRG
Creature - Incarnation [R]
When ~ enters the battlefield look at the top four cards of your library, exile one face down, then put the rest on the bottom of your library.
When ~ is put into a graveyard from anywhere, shuffle it into its owner's library, if you do you may cast a card exiled by ~ without paying its mana cost and as if it had flash.
8/8

So it's a... I forget the name of it but the 8/8 for WUBRG elemental, for 1 more mana with the ability to get you something else big for free. Of course it's a 6 CMC WUBRG card and by the time you can play those you can play most things in a deck so it's a little unimpressive.

And winner...

Blueghost. Cantig was close, but I have a thing for Panglacial Wurm because it's effect is neat and this puts it to work in a way that is much more competitive without being something that will destroy casual or other formats.

Blue Ghost
2015-09-27, 01:26 AM
New contest!

Make a Spider.

Warmatt
2015-09-27, 01:48 AM
It's tongue in cheek, but eh.

Lord Varys 3UBW
Legendary Creature- Human Advisor Lord MR
All opponents play with their hands revealed
Inspired- When ~ becomes untapped, look at the top 7 cards of target deck, and place them back in any order
T- Exile target non-land permanent until the end of the turn
"He is also known as the spider, sitting at the heart of a web of plots, and singing little birds."
0/4

Will probably edit, but eh :smallamused:

LaZodiac
2015-09-27, 02:15 AM
Drider Seamstress (http://i.imgur.com/u0MNrNE.jpg) 2GU
Creature - Elf Spider (U)
Reach
G, (T): Put a +1+1 counter on target creature.
U, (T): Target creature with a +1+1 counter on it gains flying until end of turn.
2/4
"Here have a nice hat."

braveheart
2015-09-27, 02:56 AM
Glyssan Webweaver 2GG
Legendary Creature - spider - MR
Reach
GGT: Prevent all damage that would be dealt by target creature until end of turn. This ability can target creatures with hexproof as long as they are attacking.
2/5

tgva8889
2015-09-27, 11:51 PM
Congrats to the winner!

Treetop Menace GGGGG
Creature - Spider (R)
Reach, Menace
Treetop Menace may block any number of creatures each combat as long as all creatures it blocks have flying. (It can also block a single creature, with or without flying.)
"May your steps not stick"
- Elvish blessing
4/8

Zaydos
2015-09-27, 11:57 PM
Parasitoid Skyweaver 3GG
Creature - Spider U
Flash, Reach
Whenever an attacking creature dealt damage by ~ this turn dies put a 1/2 green Spider creature token with reach onto the battlefield.
3/5

onasuma
2015-09-28, 05:22 AM
Camouflaged Creeper 1G
Creature - Spider
Reach
Whenever ~ would be target of a spell or ability and it is untapped, tap it and it gains shroud until the end of turn.
1/2

somethingrandom
2015-09-28, 05:51 AM
Webspitter Spider 1GU
Creature - Spider U
Defender,Reach
T, Tap target creature that creature does not untap during it's controllers next untap step.
2/5

Beacon of Chaos
2015-09-28, 07:38 AM
Wall of Webs 2G
Creature - Spider Wall - R
Defender, Reach

2G, T, sacrifice Wall of Webs: For each creature attacking you, put a 2/4 green Spider creature token with reach onto the battlefield blocking that creature.

At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control three or more Spiders, you may return Wall of Webs from your graveyard to your hand.
0/4

mystic1110
2015-09-28, 11:05 AM
Patron of Ogdoad Odium 4WG
Creature - Spider Angel R
Reach, Lifelink
When ~ enters the battlefield, it deals 5 damage divided as you choose among any number of target creatures with flying.
I've traded my two wings of feathers for eights wings of silk.
5/8

Beacon of Chaos
2015-09-28, 03:53 PM
Joke entry:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DiegoHavoc/Spider-Man.png
http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r326/TheCorty/T13250337551356aa586a00000794bf871013956310b_zps56 41713f.jpg

Saposhiente
2015-09-29, 01:24 AM
Joke entry:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DiegoHavoc/Spider-Man.png
http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r326/TheCorty/T13250337551356aa586a00000794bf871013956310b_zps56 41713f.jpg

I dunno, it just doesn't seem powerful enough. You should give it lifelink and hexproof.

Zaydos
2015-09-29, 01:30 AM
I dunno, it just doesn't seem powerful enough. You should give it lifelink and hexproof.

I don't really see it. Actually knowing the character I'd give it: "Sacrifice a creature: ~ gains Hexproof until end of turn." I mean they always get by but only while getting new reasons to angst.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-09-29, 02:10 AM
Truevenom Matriarch 4BG
Creature - Spider R
Reach, Deathtouch, Poisonous 3 (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, that player gets three poison counters. A player with 10 poison counters loses the game.)
"This is definitely on my approved card list."
-Kel'thuzad
2/8

Drider Makri Manadork 1G
Creature - Elf Spider Druid C
Reach
T: Add G to your mana pool.
1/2

Woolly Web-guard 3G
Creature - Spider C
Reach, Vigilance
2/4

Saposhiente
2015-09-29, 02:33 AM
I don't really see it. Actually knowing the character I'd give it: "Sacrifice a creature: ~ gains Hexproof until end of turn." I mean they always get by but only while getting new reasons to angst.

I was joking about the OPness.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-09-29, 05:46 PM
I was joking about the OPness.
Heh heh heh.

Pness.

I'll show myself out.

CantigThimble
2015-09-29, 06:45 PM
Skittering Huntress 4R
Creature - Spider U
Wither, Menace
1G, Sacrifice a land: Prevent all damage creatures would deal to Skittering Huntress this turn.
3/2
ĎHave you ever tried to corner something twice as fast as you that can scale a tree like you scale a ladder? Well letís just say if you try you wonít be climbing again anytime soon.í
-Sald the Cripple

I'm really trying to capture the flavor of spiders in a way that hasn't been done a million times before in magic. Which means abandoning the usual formula of a defensive green creature that uses webs to take down fliers or restrict other creatures. Other aspects of spiders are their superb mobility (relative to humans) and the sheer terror they evoke in many people due to their potentially poisonous bites and difficulty to control or keep track of when you're trying to kill them. So this leads me to menace and wither, wither is flavorfully just a plane-specific kind of deathtouch and I felt it would help to balance the card. This creature is more like a wolf spider than the more standard ones. The land sacrifice clause is to represent it escaping into the trees (or mountains, she's not picky) and also to help balance out the ruthless pressure this card can exert in limited. As usual I balanced the card around limited as I find it much more fun to design for. As a limited card it needed to be uncommon, and I think the abilities fit that complexity level, though they do push it a bit. I was aiming for something along the lines of Sentinel of the Eternal Watch or Whirler Rogue and I think this is in line with them.

Yeah, I guess red makes more sense, it was green because it was a spider but my goal was to make a spider that isn't like other spiders so I guess mission accomplished. :smalltongue:

I'm leaving the activator green as damage prevention is DEFINITELY not red.

braveheart
2015-10-01, 01:20 PM
I agree with most of your comments, however menace, whither, and land sacrificed all make it seem like a red card more than green, you may want to consider changing the color

Tom the Mime
2015-10-01, 03:26 PM
Subdermal eggsac 1BG
Enchantment - Aura U
At the beginning of your upkeep, place a -1/-1 counter on enchanted creature and put a 1/1 green and black spider creature token onto battlefield under your control.

Not a spider on its own but i think the flavour is there. Might need to cost a bit more as I'm not sure how to go with the delayed destruction.

Jormengand
2015-10-01, 03:49 PM
Arachnid Devourer 3G
Creature - Spider U
Reach
Whenever Arachnid Devourer deals lethal damage to a creature, put a +1/+1 counter on Arachnid Devourer.
5/4

Fable Wright
2015-10-01, 04:08 PM
Arachnid Devourer 3GG
Creature - Spider U
Whenever Arachnid Devourer deals lethal damage to a creature, put a +1/+1 counter on Arachnid Devourer.
3/4

Seems like a strictly worse Sengir Vampire.

Blue Ghost
2015-10-03, 07:25 PM
Time for judgment!

Lord Varys 3UBW
Legendary Creature- Human Advisor Lord MR
All opponents play with their hands revealed
Inspired- When ~ becomes untapped, look at the top 7 cards of target deck, and place them back in any order
T- Exile target non-land permanent until the end of the turn
"He is also known as the spider, sitting at the heart of a web of plots, and singing little birds."
0/4

When a card has three abilities, you want them to be a cohesive whole. These three abilities are definitely not. They are very disjointed and have no semblance of cohesion. The templating is off. Thereís nothing white or black about this card mechanically.
The biggest problem here is the second ability. Manipulating the opponentís library (itís library, by the way, not deck), is a horribly unfun mechanic. Being able to do it every turn with no risk will lock a player out of the game completely, and pushes this card from badly designed to game-breaking.
0/10

Drider Seamstress (http://i.imgur.com/u0MNrNE.jpg) 2GU
Creature - Elf Spider (U)
Reach
G, (T): Put a +1+1 counter on target creature.
U, (T): Target creature with a +1+1 counter on it gains flying until end of turn.
2/4
"Here have a nice hat."
Not really getting the flavor here. Why does a drider giving you hats make you fly? Aside from the flavor weirdness, this is a pretty cool card that Iíd be happy to see and build around in limited. Nothing ground-breaking, but a fair design.
7/10

Glyssan Webweaver 2GG
Legendary Creature - spider - MR
Reach
GGT: Prevent all damage that would be dealt by target creature until end of turn. This ability can target creatures with hexproof as long as they are attacking.
2/5
Formatting is off. There should be a comma between the mana cost and the T, and the creature type should be capitalized.
Being able to target hexproof creatures is weird, and Iím not sure I like it. I guess it could work. Why can it target any creature, but can only target hexproof creatures when theyíre attacking? Thatís a very strange restriction, and it makes the card read very strangely without adding much meaningful game benefit.
This design is not legendary or mythic rare. It would be fine at uncommon, were it not for the targeting hexproof clause, which I donít think you need anyway. At uncommon, it would be a neat and flavorful design.
5/10

Treetop Menace GGGGG
Creature - Spider (R)
Reach, Menace
Treetop Menace may block any number of creatures each combat as long as all creatures it blocks have flying. (It can also block a single creature, with or without flying.)
"May your steps not stick"
- Elvish blessing
4/8
A pretty standard big spider. Multiblocking flying creatures is cool, though I do wonder if thereís a less clunky way to word or implement that ability.
I have two major problems with it. First, itís a high-toughness creature that can block multiple things, but it has menace? What exactly does it want to do, attack or block? The design is fighting against itself here.
Second, the mana cost. Why does this need to cost GGGGG? That makes it unplayable outside of a mono-green deck. Why is that restriction good or necessary? Cards with triple colored mana costs are quite rare, and cards with more than three colored mana symbols are nearly unheard of. What makes this card warrant that?
5/10

Parasitoid Skyweaver 3GG
Creature - Spider U
Flash, Reach
Whenever an attacking creature dealt damage by ~ this turn dies put a 1/2 green Spider creature token with reach onto the battlefield.
3/5
This looks brutal in limited. Itís a 3/5 that can flash in, eat an attacker (including a flying one), and get a 1/2 token out of the deal. The gameplay here is quite evocative and feels like a spider. It doesnít really bring any novel design ideas, but itís quite a solid and exciting card, and one I would be happy to have as one of a setís premium uncommons in limited. I like this quite a bit.
8/10

Camouflaged Creeper 1G
Creature - Spider
Reach
Whenever ~ would be target of a spell or ability and it is untapped, tap it and it gains shroud until the end of turn.
1/2
Youíre missing a rarity here. I assume common?
The ability could be worded much more simply: ďT: Camouflaged Creeper gains shroud until end of turn.Ē Shroud is a retired mechanic, and I donít anticipate them bringing it back anytime soon. It certainly fits the flavor, but the problem here is that the body is so insignificant that itís not going to be targeted much. And itís not going to be doing much of anything, either, considering how small it is.
4/10

Webspitter Spider 1GU
Creature - Spider U
Defender,Reach
T, Tap target creature that creature does not untap during it's controllers next untap step.
2/5
The ability should be two sentences.
Iím not sure if you realize how powerful this is. A creature that can repeatedly tap down another creature for no mana is essentially a removal spell. They havenít had one like that for a few sets now. This guy not only taps down a creature for no mana, but keeps it from untapping. That means that it can essentially remove two creatures permanently, with no conditions. Thatís way too strong for a 3 mana uncommon. A one-time tap and hold is fine, but a repeated one is just too powerful and oppressive.
3/10

Wall of Webs 2G
Creature - Spider Wall - R
Defender, Reach

2G, T, sacrifice Wall of Webs: For each creature attacking you, put a 2/4 green Spider creature token with reach onto the battlefield blocking that creature.

At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control three or more Spiders, you may return Wall of Webs from your graveyard to your hand.
0/4
Very flavorful, and evokes the terror of wandering into giant spider territory quite nicely. I like it. My only problem with it is that the two abilities, while not exactly at odds with one another, donít feel terribly cohesive. They both make sense, but they feel like theyíre pulling the card in different directions, if not gameplay-wise, then aesthetically. The card would be fine with either ability; having both of them makes it just a tad overly complex. The abilities feel like theyíre pulling focus onto two different functions of the webs. But itís not a terrible mismatch; Iíve seen worse. A very creative and evocative design.
8/10

Patron of Ogdoad Odium 4WG
Creature - Spider Angel R
Reach, Lifelink
When ~ enters the battlefield, it deals 5 damage divided as you choose among any number of target creatures with flying.
I've traded my two wings of feathers for eights wings of silk.
5/8
A spiderÖ angel? I canít even imagine how that makes sense. The design is all right, if somewhat bland. I just canít wrap my head around the flavor of this, and thatís a mark down for the card.
6/10

Truevenom Matriarch 4BG
Creature - Spider R
Reach, Deathtouch, Poisonous 3 (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, that player gets three poison counters. A player with 10 poison counters loses the game.)
"This is definitely on my approved card list."
-Kel'thuzad
2/8

I like seeing the differences between Hearthstone and Magic, and this card shows them pretty well. Maexxna in Hearthstone is a proactive attacker that forces multiple trades. In Magic, the same body is a hard-to-kill defender that stops attacks cold unless the opponent goes really wide. Canít really give you points for originality there, since the design is pretty much a straight transliteration from Hearthstone, but itís still a nice design that would work in Magic.
Poisonous 3? I suppose you wanted her to have some ability to encourage attacks, so sheís not just a passive defender. Being able to kill in four hits could serve that function, I suppose, though itís not too likely to work without support from other poison cards. I assume from the existence of the keyword that the set will include more creatures with poisonous. I donít think poisonous is a good mechanic to bring back; itís just not going to be relevant because it inherently competes with normal combat damage. Also, having 2 power and poisonous 3 is a bit of an aesthetic mismatch. I donít think she really needs any offensive ability; she functions just fine as a 2/8 deathtoucher.
6/10

Skittering Huntress 4R
Creature - Spider U
Wither, Menace
1G, Sacrifice a land: Prevent all damage creatures would deal to Skittering Huntress this turn.
3/2
ĎHave you ever tried to corner something twice as fast as you that can scale a tree like you scale a ladder? Well letís just say if you try you wonít be climbing again anytime soon.í
-Sald the Cripple
Wither and menace donít synergize especially well. Deathtouch and menace together would be brutal, as youíd be guaranteeing a 2-for-1 trade on an attack, but most of the time when youíre double blocked, youíre not going to be able to wither both blockers. They donít work against each other though, and I could see them both on the same card.
The last ability, combined with the others, make it so that itís very hard to profitably block her. You have three separate abilities that make blocking difficult; at that point, you might as well make her unblockable and have a simpler card that serves the same function.
She can make a pretty solid defender, being able to wither attackers while using her activated ability to survive. That is an interesting function, but it is at odds with menace and with the intended flavor of the card.
I donít think she needs to be red. Wither is just as much green as red, and menace makes sense in green as well.
I commend you on going for a flavorful design. But flavor is as dependent on how it plays as how it reads. Youíre going for too many different flavor tropes here, and the abilities representing them compete with one another too much, making the card less than the sum of its parts.
5/10

Subdermal eggsac 1BG
Enchantment - Aura U
At the beginning of your upkeep, place a -1/-1 counter on enchanted creature and put a 1/1 green and black spider creature token onto battlefield under your control.
Spider should be capitalized, as should the name. ďUnder your controlĒ is not necessary.
Not too bad. Very evocative and creepy flavor, and a pretty nice card without being too overpowered. It wonít be all that useful for removal, as itís rather slow, but getting a spider each turn is good. Pretty decent card.
8/10

Arachnid Devourer 3G
Creature - Spider U
Reach
5/4
5/4 for 4 is way above curve for an uncommon. Need to tone that down.
Nothing particularly unique about this; the ability has been done quite a bit before. Arachnid Devourer does it better than Sengir Vampire, as itís not evasive and is a major threat that will often need to be chump-blocked. It does suffer from the issue that itís dependent on the opponentís blocking decisions for the abilityís activation, but itís going to be chump blocked often enough for it to matter. Raise it to 5 or 6 mana, and this would be a printable card, though not a very original one.
6/10
There have been quite a few outstanding entries this round, and I've narrowed it down to Zaydos, Diego Havoc, and Tom the Mime. It was a tough decision, but I've decided to award this contest to...

Diego Havoc, with Wall of Webs! I feel his card did the best job capturing the flavor of spiders, not just in its mechanical function, but the mood it evokes in gameplay. Good job!

tgva8889
2015-10-03, 10:24 PM
Couple things:

The card has Menace and blocking multiple creatures to represent it basically being multiple places at once. I removed Vigilance because otherwise the card was too powerful.
It has the mana cost it does because it couldn't cost 5 without it.
A high-toughness Menace card is difficult to kill b/c it requires two large creatures to block it.

Anyways, congrats to the winner!

Beacon of Chaos
2015-10-04, 12:24 PM
Oh, thank you very much!

To be honest though, I prefer making cards to judging them and I don't have any good contest ideas at the moment anyway so...

Open Floor! First Come, First Served.

Warmatt
2015-10-04, 12:28 PM
If I may? A Troll or Giant, that is more according to the nordic myths be a good one? Or Norse mythology in general.

Zaydos
2015-10-04, 12:30 PM
If I may? A Troll or Giant, that is more according to the nordic myths be a good one? Or Norse mythology in general.

Would a draugr count? I mean Glam is a draugr but he is also called a troll.

Ninjaman
2015-10-04, 12:34 PM
Ymer - WUBRG
Legendary Creature - Giant - M
When Ymer dies, seach your library for a plains, island, swamp, mountain and forest and put them onto the battlefield tapped.
6/6

Warmatt
2015-10-04, 12:52 PM
There is the Norse Mythology in general tag to help expand it, so there isn't a limited selection, and those that just watch the movies might try their hand :smalltongue:

CantigThimble
2015-10-04, 12:53 PM
How about one flavor challenge and one mechanical challenge?

So something from norse mythology and also a mechanical challenge.

Blue Ghost
2015-10-04, 10:07 PM
We have suggestions, but no official contest announcement, entries, or declaration of intent to judge yet. So in the interest of time, if there are no objections, I'm passing the role of judge to the second place winner of the last contest, Zaydos. If you wish to use the current contest suggestion and/or delegate the judging to someone else, you may.

Zaydos
2015-10-04, 10:25 PM
Well if I'm judging again... well I do like Norse myth so sure...

Something based on Norse mythology/sagas and with a CMC of 4 or less, but at least 1.

LaZodiac
2015-10-04, 10:41 PM
Ratatoskr 1UB
Legendary Creature - Squirrel (R)
(T): Draw a card. You lose 2 life
2/2
Insults and gossip go hand in hand. Or claw as the case may be.

Still trying to think up something actually more interesting then just a creature. Bwargh.

Fable Wright
2015-10-04, 11:11 PM
Selection of Feet 2RU
Sorcery (R)
Exile all creatures you control into a face down pile, shuffle that pile, then Manifest those cards.
Target opponent chooses a face down card you control and reveals it. If it's CMC is 4 or more, flip it face up. It gains haste and cannot be blocked until the end of your turn. Then flip all other face down cards face up.

I decided to take your restriction and make it that CMC4 or lower/higher is a theme in the theoretical set this is from (it feels like something that could fit well with Norse mythology). Also Manifest which I think would fit well for Norse mythology as well.

So, in other words, this lets you unmorph your entire team at once when abused, or might be used 'fairly' to maybe grant a random creature you control Haste and Unblockable for 4 mana. Not sure how to judge this balance level.

LaZodiac
2015-10-04, 11:13 PM
So, in other words, this lets you unmorph your entire team at once when abused, or might be used 'fairly' to maybe grant a random creature you control Haste and Unblockable for 4 mana. Not sure how to judge this balance level.

Yeah I'm rethinking what to do. I have a good solid idea it's just also boring. I want to do something exciting and that references a myth instead of just making a simple creature.

enderlord99
2015-10-04, 11:32 PM
*Checks Wikipedia*

Oh, so it's in reference to a lady who failed to marry that guy with a Gate named after him, and ended up marrying notPoseidon instead?

Zaydos
2015-10-04, 11:35 PM
Close. Baldur's Gate is an entire city-state not an actual gate.

LaZodiac
2015-10-04, 11:36 PM
*Checks Wikipedia*

Oh, so it's in reference to a lady who failed to marry that guy with a Gate named after him, and ended up marrying notPoseidon instead?

It was a really good idea I just couldn't make it work. Argh! Instead have a rude squirrel.

Tom the Mime
2015-10-05, 01:31 AM
Until I think of something else

Mistletoe Spear 1
Artifact - Equipment U
Equipped creature gets +1/+0
Whenever equipped creature would deal combat damage to a creature with indestructible, exile that creature instead
Equip 1

tgva8889
2015-10-05, 05:56 AM
I know very little about Norse mythology, but I came up with this card and concept and I thought, "Whatever, this sounds awesome."

Roots of the World Tree G
At the beginning of your upkeep, exile a land you control. Then, if there are nine lands with different names exiled by Roots of the World Tree, you win the game.
Those who see all the worlds see everything there is to see.

Ionbound
2015-10-05, 04:41 PM
Ragnarok-2RW

Sorcery-MR

Each player chooses two creatures they control, then sacrifices all other non-land creatures that they control.

CantigThimble
2015-10-05, 04:54 PM
Loki's Wager 1UB
Enchantment R
Artifacts cost 3 less to cast. As an additional cost to cast artifact spells, discard a card.

Referencing the myth where Loki makes a bet with some dwarves that they can't make awesome stuff, then turns into a fly and literally bugs them so the stuff they make is less awesome. When they made 3 awesome things Loki lost and got his mouth sewed shut, but I don't think it's necessary or elegant to add a clause to represent that.

LaZodiac
2015-10-05, 04:57 PM
Loki's Wager 1UB
Enchantment R
Artifacts cost 3 less to cast. As an additional cost to cast artifact spells, discard a card.

Referencing the myth where Loki makes a bet with some dwarves that they can't make awesome stuff, then turns into a fly and literally bugs them so the stuff they make is less awesome. When they made 3 awesome things Loki lost and got his mouth sewed shut, but I don't think it's necessary or elegant to add a clause to represent that.

I've always heard the tale told in a different way, that makes Loki seem less like an ******* and more like the unbelievably put upon toady of Odin, but it's an interesting card to say the least.

mystic1110
2015-10-05, 05:23 PM
Disproportionate Torment B
Enchantment - Aura [R]
Enchant Swamp
When Disproportionate Torment enters the battlefield, exile target creature an opponent controls until Disproportionate Torment leaves the battlefield.
Whenever enchanted land becomes tapped, its controller loses 3 life.

---

In myth Loki was bound with the entrails of his son Nari, and his son Narfi changed into a wolf. Skaūi fastened a venomous snake over Loki's face, and from it poison dripped. Sigyn, Loki's wife, sat with him holding a basin beneath the dripping venom, yet when the basin became full, she carried the poison away; and during this time the poison dripped on to Loki, causing him to writhe with such violence that all of the earth shook from the force, resulting in what are now known as earthquakes

Zaydos
2015-10-05, 05:23 PM

It really isn't necessary or elegant to do so. And I won't go into detail on my opinions of Loki in that myth here (I have them).

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-10-09, 11:17 PM
Strike Out of Dromi 2G
Instant - C
Destroy target artifact or enchantment. Target creature gets +4/+4 until end of turn.
As Fenrir grew, the gods collaborated to invent stronger and stronger bonds to contain him. He willingly accepted each in turn, just for the chance to show off his strength in shattering them.

Blue Ghost
2015-10-10, 01:41 PM
Vafthrudnir's Ordeal 2UU
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player names a card type, then reveals the top card of his or her library. If the revealed card is of the named type, that player puts it into his or her hand. Otherwise, that player puts the revealed card into his or her graveyard and skips his or her next draw step.

Blue Ghost
2015-10-12, 11:15 PM
Is judging time?

Zaydos
2015-10-12, 11:42 PM
I was gonna give it till tomorrow since it started late, but that was this morning and there are so few...

- - - Updated - - -

Vafthrudnir's Ordeal 2UU
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player names a card type, then reveals the top card of his or her library. If the revealed card is of the named type, that player puts it into his or her hand. Otherwise, that player puts the revealed card into his or her graveyard and skips his or her next draw step.

I like it as an idea, but I feel like I don't like it in actual function. For the most part it because ~55% chance of draw denial with a good chance of extra draw for you. I'd probably like something that didn't include the skipping of the draw step much, much better though that probably should also be less.

Strike Out of Dromi 2G
Instant - C
Destroy target artifact or enchantment. Target creature gets +4/+4 until end of turn.
As Fenrir grew, the gods collaborated to invent stronger and stronger bonds to contain him. He willingly accepted each in turn, just for the chance to show off his strength in shattering them.

So two poor 2 drops at once for 3. In ways it's a worse Titanic Growth even if it was 2. It is a printable common that could be quite useful as a sideboard card.

Disproportionate Torment B
Enchantment - Aura [R]
Enchant Swamp
When Disproportionate Torment enters the battlefield, exile target creature an opponent controls until Disproportionate Torment leaves the battlefield.
Whenever enchanted land becomes tapped, its controller loses 3 life.

If it enchanted swamp you controlled I'd like it. As it is, against black it's a better Psychic Venom (3 drop) plus Door to Nowhere (2 drop) for 1 mana. Against everyone else it's a worse Door to Nowhere. That's the sort of disparity that WotC is trying to weed out and in this case even if not would be a pretty bad one.

Loki's Wager 1UB
Enchantment R

I'm not sure if this is great vs artifacts or for them, but I like it. It's a 3 drop so it's not going to Mishra's Workshop things or get out 3 drops turn 1 like some artifact support does in Legacy. At the same time the discard hurts enough that it might still be balanced in Modern, while being really good hate against low cost artifacts. Yeah I like it.

Ragnarok-2RW

Sorcery-MR

Each player chooses two creatures they control, then sacrifices all other non-land creatures that they control.

This might have been my favorite if it hadn't said non-land. This is already a better Wrath for the right sort of deck, though not much better, but with the ability to have... how many land creatures does a deck use that aren't only sometimes a creature? Either way it feels inelegant and other wraths will kill manlands so why not this one?

Roots of the World Tree G
At the beginning of your upkeep, exile a land you control. Then, if there are nine lands with different names exiled by Roots of the World Tree, you win the game.
Those who see all the worlds see everything there is to see.

Slow, and really painful to build up. Personally I'd probably make it control 9 lands with different names.

Mistletoe Spear 1
Artifact - Equipment U
Equipped creature gets +1/+0
Whenever equipped creature would deal combat damage to a creature with indestructible, exile that creature instead
Equip 1

:D I love it, it feels a little on the cheap side, but I love it.

Ratatoskr 1UB
Legendary Creature - Squirrel (R)
(T): Draw a card. You lose 2 life
2/2
Insults and gossip go hand in hand. Or claw as the case may be.

Looking at it as a card I start off a little leery but remember Blood Scrivener, this is better for Blue but it works out as a Legendary. I do love the elegance of the presentation of Ratatoskr and how this really is about what it should be (I say about because I am torn on whether it should be an automatic and mandatory things as opposed to an option).

LaZodiac and Dr.Gunsforhands come in 2nd and 3rd (not necessarily in that order) because I really do enjoy both of their cards.

The winner however is TomtheMime because even if I'm not sure about mana costs I just love the concept.

Tom the Mime
2015-10-13, 06:58 AM
Awesome. With the mana cost, if it was an indestructible heavy block like Theros, it's too cheap but in others you won't see many indestructible in a single deck so I thought it should be okay.

Challenge: Make a multicolored enchantment

tgva8889
2015-10-13, 12:58 PM
Controlling 9 lands with different names is just not that hard, which is why I made it much harder.

Congrats to the winner!

mystic1110
2015-10-13, 01:14 PM
Administration of the Seasons UBRG
Enchantment [R]
At the beginning of your first upkeep on each of your turns, choose upkeep, draw step, combat phase or end phase. At the beginning of the first instance of the chosen step or phase this turn you get an additional instance of that step or phase. If you chose combat phase, untap all creatures you control after your first combat phase.

LaZodiac
2015-10-13, 01:24 PM
Staff of Athreos 2WB
Legendary Enchantment Artifact (R)
Whenever a creature dies, gain 1 life.
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, gain 1 life.
1WB, Pay 3 Life: Return target creature from your graveyard to your hand.

Fable Wright
2015-10-13, 01:30 PM
Administration of the Seasons 1URG
Enchantment [R]
At the beginning of your first upkeep on each of your turns, choose upkeep, combat phase or draw step. After the first instance of the chosen step or phase this turn take an additional one. If you chose combat phase, untap all creatures you control after your first combat phase.

Only three seasons? No repeating end steps for Autumn?

LaZodiac
2015-10-13, 01:38 PM
Only three seasons? No repeating end steps for Autumn?

Make it Damage Step. That'd be interesting a concept.

mystic1110
2015-10-13, 01:42 PM
Ha, yeah, just three phases/seasons - anything else I think it would get unruly. It was based on the card Fatespinner.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-10-13, 01:54 PM
It's a boring entry, but I won't be here for the rest of the week, so...

Chromatic Storm 1

Enchantment - U

Chromatic Storm is all colors (even if this card isn't in play).

All non-land permanents are all colors.

"It's beautiful... and also making me feel queasy." - Chandra Nalaar

Fable Wright
2015-10-13, 04:29 PM
Ha, yeah, just three phases/seasons - anything else I think it would get unruly. It was based on the card Fatespinner.

Fate and Threes are designed to go together; beginnings/middles/endings, past/present/future, etc. Seasons were designed for four. Maybe a second untap step if end steps are out of the question? (I still like the idea of taking extra end steps, though. I don't know why, I just like the fact that Reaper From the Abyss, Bloodchief Ascension, Howlpack Alpha, and Deathreap Ritual would get double triggers in Autumn, among Angelic Accord, Desolation, and many other things.)

mystic1110
2015-10-13, 04:42 PM
Ok - i included it but had to change the wording to match paradox haze. Also added black since 4 colors seems appropriate for four phases.

tgva8889
2015-10-13, 05:54 PM
Mana Exertion UR
Enchantment (R)
Instant and sorcery spells you cast cost 2 less to cast.
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell or an instant or sorcery spell you own resolves, Mana Exertion deals 1 damage to you.
Experiments with mana often result in severe burns.

Jormengand
2015-10-18, 07:31 PM
Overwhelming Knowledge 2UB
Enchantment - R
One Eye Open - Whenever you draw a card, you may put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.
"What you do know can hurt you."
- Archmage Ari'El

Zaydos
2015-10-18, 07:40 PM
Weird Factory (U/R)(U/R)(U/R)
Enchantment - R
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery put a 1/1 blue and red Weird creature token onto the battlefield under your control.
Wrought from iron, smoke, and dreams, the factory is one of Izzet's greatest achievements.

Saposhiente
2015-10-18, 08:17 PM
Impatience (U/R)
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of each end step, end the turn.
"No, you're done."

Technically players can just do things in response to the trigger. Maybe if you gave the trigger split second? But then its primary use is still to make until-"at end of turn" effects never end.

LaZodiac
2015-10-18, 08:27 PM
Technically players can just do things in response to the trigger. Maybe if you gave the trigger split second? But then its primary use is still to make until-"at end of turn" effects never end.

Should definitely add in a clause that prevents it, to make doubly sure they realize "no, no more tricks. This is how a warrior fights a wizard. Stranglehold plus this!"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-10-18, 08:41 PM
Web of Lies UG
Enchantment - R
When Web of Lies or another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, put a 1/3 green and blue Spider Illusion creature token with reach onto the battlefield.
When Web of Lies leaves the battlefield, exile all Spider Illusions.

Ninjaman
2015-10-19, 06:04 AM
Web of Lies UG
Enchantment - R
When Web of Lies or another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, put a 1/3 green and blue Spider Illusion creature token with reach onto the battlefield.
When Web of Lies dies, exile all Spider Illusions.

It doesn't die since it's not a creature, it is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may however want to make it trigger when it leaves the battlefield.

- - - Updated - - -

Chaosshift - 1UR
Enchantment - M
If a permanent would enter the battlefield tapped, it enters the battlefield untapped instead.
If a permanent would enter the battlefield untapped, it enters the battlefield tapped instead.
"Why? Why? If I spend all my time asking questions instead of doing things you wouldn't have this cool upside down castle."
- Uidjin, Chaosmancer

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-10-19, 04:41 PM
It doesn't die since it's not a creature, it is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may however want to make it trigger when it leaves the battlefield.

*Looks up the Oracle text for Hatching Plans*

Huh, I guess that's true. 'Leaves,' is probably the cleanest way to write it, then. Too bad, I was kind of happy with the idea of cheeky bouncing and blinking plays.

mystic1110
2015-10-19, 04:43 PM
*Looks up the oracle text from Hatching Plans*

Huh, I guess that's true. 'Leaves,' is probably the cleanest way to write it, then. Too bad, I was kind of happy with the idea of cheeky bouncing and blinking plays.

You can just write out "when ~ is sent to the graveyard from the battlefield" then :smallsmile:

braveheart
2015-10-19, 06:40 PM
Order of the Timekeepers 1WU
Enchantment - R
Sacrafice Order of the Timekeepers: untap all permanents that you control, then end the turn, activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery or at any time during an extra turn, this ability resolves immediately when activated.
"So many mages try to take advantage of the moments between seconds, it is our duty to stop them." - Chief Timekeeper

CantigThimble
2015-10-19, 08:20 PM
Avenge the Fallen RW
Enchantment - Aura R
Enchant Creature
Whenever enchanted creature dies you may attach Avenge the Fallen to another target creature you control.
Whenever a creature you control dies put a charge counter on Avenge the Fallen.
Enchanted creature gains First Strike and +1/+1 for each charge counter on Avenge the Fallen.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-10-19, 08:35 PM
*does some more Oracle research*

There is a lot of precedent for the Graveyard text, but almost all of that precedent is dedicated to positive effects, like with mana eggs or things like Rancor. The cards that have drawbacks when they're removed seem to use the Leaves text to avoid getting around the drawback too easily, which is still reasonable here. Besides, a lot of enchantment removal exiles and an opponent would be annoyed if it didn't work right in those cases. "Stupid fiddly little rules, this game is so dumb and needlessly complicated, maybe I won't give Wizards of the Coast all of my money today!" They couldn't print it.

Power-wise, I could probably get away with removing the drawback altogether, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of the spiders being lies.

Anyway, I'll soon fix my entry in the post where I originally entered it.

Fable Wright
2015-10-19, 09:22 PM
Cargo Shipping WUR
Enchantment - R
Noncreature artifacts you control have Soulbond and "As long as this artifact is paired with a creature, that creature gets +1/+2, Haste, and Vigilance".
The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak. -GLaDOS

mystic1110
2015-10-19, 09:59 PM
*does some more Oracle research*

There is a lot of precedent for the Graveyard text, but almost all of that precedent is dedicated to positive effects, like with mana eggs or things like Rancor. The cards that have drawbacks when they're removed seem to use the Leaves text to avoid getting around the drawback too easily, which is still reasonable here. Besides, a lot of enchantment removal exiles and an opponent would be annoyed if it didn't work right in those cases. "Stupid fiddly little rules, this game is so dumb and needlessly complicated, maybe I won't give Wizards of the Coast all of my money today!" They couldn't print it.

Power-wise, I could probably get away with removing the drawback altogether, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of the spiders being lies.

Anyway, I'll soon fix my entry in the post where I originally entered it.

to avoid the opponent feeling bad while letting you pull off flicker tricks - how about:

Web of Lies UG
Enchantment - R
Whenever a spell or ability an opponent controls causes ~ to leave play, exile all spider illusion creatures.

Blue Ghost
2015-10-19, 11:51 PM
Quest for the Hero's Song RWU
Enchantment (R)
Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, you may put a counter of one of that spell's colors on Quest for the Hero's Song.
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, if there are three or more counters of different colors on Quest for the Hero's Song, you may copy that spell. If you do, you may choose new targets for the copy.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Quest%20for%20the%20Heros%20Song_zpssib8m6wb.jpg

Tom the Mime
2015-10-20, 06:11 AM
Judging should be up tomorrow

Tom the Mime
2015-10-21, 06:02 AM
Administration of the Seasons UBRG
Enchantment [R]
At the beginning of your first upkeep on each of your turns, choose upkeep, draw step, combat phase or end phase. At the beginning of the first instance of the chosen step or phase this turn you get an additional instance of that step or phase. If you chose combat phase, untap all creatures you control after your first combat phase.
Looking at the cost for an extra combat phase or draw each turn, this seems undercosted although the colour intensity may negate this. The design doesnít really seem to be going in any particular direction and just doesnít leap out

Staff of Athreos 2WB
Legendary Enchantment Artifact (R)
Whenever a creature dies, gain 1 life.
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, gain 1 life.
1WB, Pay 3 Life: Return target creature from your graveyard to your hand.
Might be okay for legendary but the repeatable recursion feels like it could get out of hand with card advantage

It's a boring entry, but I won't be here for the rest of the week, so...

Chromatic Storm 1

Enchantment - U

Chromatic Storm is all colors (even if this card isn't in play).

All non-land permanents are all colors.

"It's beautiful... and also making me feel queasy." - Chandra Nalaar
I like it. It feels like it should have so much combo potential but I canít find much past making any color prot into protection from permanents. If you find one, let me know. Good devoid hate in current cycle

Mana Exertion UR
Enchantment (R)
Instant and sorcery spells you cast cost 2 less to cast.
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell or an instant or sorcery spell you own resolves, Mana Exertion deals 1 damage to you.
Experiments with mana often result in severe burns.
Interesting. So normally it triggers 1 damage for the cast and another for the resolve? Seems needlessly complicated to work around copied spells but still interesting

Overwhelming Knowledge 2UB
Enchantment - R
One Eye Open - Whenever you draw a card, you may put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.
"What you do know can hurt you."
- Archmage Ari'El
Probably okay mechanically but the name and flavor text donít suit the ability. Given itís when you draw a card yourself, itís more a ďWhat I know can hurt youĒ

Weird Factory (U/R)(U/R)(U/R)
Enchantment - R
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery put a 1/1 blue and red Weird creature token onto the battlefield under your control.
Wrought from iron, smoke, and dreams, the factory is one of Izzet's greatest achievements.
Fun and flavorful for weirds. Not much more to say

Web of Lies UG
Enchantment - R
When Web of Lies leaves the battlefield, exile all Spider Illusions.
Bringing back constellation? Seems like it should be balanced with a couple of interesting tricks available

Chaosshift - 1UR
Enchantment - M
If a permanent would enter the battlefield tapped, it enters the battlefield untapped instead.
If a permanent would enter the battlefield untapped, it enters the battlefield tapped instead.
"Why? Why? If I spend all my time asking questions instead of doing things you wouldn't have this cool upside down castle."
- Uidjin, Chaosmancer
I can see the blue but it feels more white to me given most of what itíll do is tap creatures and lands as they come in. Canít think of many things other than non-basic lands and land search thatíd be untapped instead

Order of the Timekeepers 1WU
Enchantment - R
Sacrafice Order of the Timekeepers: untap all permanents that you control, then end the turn, activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery or at any time during an extra turn, this ability resolves immediately when activated.
"So many mages try to take advantage of the moments between seconds, it is our duty to stop them." - Chief Timekeeper
This seems needlessly complicated and just not good. Just make it a sorcery with split second and maybe a trap clause for if it is an extra turn.

Avenge the Fallen RW
Enchantment - Aura R
Enchant Creature
Whenever enchanted creature dies you may attach Avenge the Fallen to another target creature you control.
Whenever a creature you control dies put a charge counter on Avenge the Fallen.
Enchanted creature gains First Strike and +1/+1 for each charge counter on Avenge the Fallen.
Seems good. Potentially powerful but with a slow build up. Transferrable but then the build up starts again.

Cargo Shipping WUR
Enchantment - R
Noncreature artifacts you control have Soulbond and "As long as this artifact is paired with a creature, that creature gets +1/+2, Haste, and Vigilance".
The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak. -GLaDOS
Seems interesting. Strength and balance would really depend on the artifacts in the block.

Quest for the Hero's Song RWU
Enchantment (R)
Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, you may put a counter of one of that spell's colors on Quest for the Hero's Song.
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, if there are three or more counters of different colors on Quest for the Hero's Song, you may copy that spell. If you do, you may choose new targets for the copy.

Not a fan. Three colours mitigates it but RWU burn/bounce/cantrip seems like it would get out of hand really easily with this. Cheap ones can activate it quickly, cantrips all of a sudden draw 2 to dig to all those extra effective burns.

A fair few good entries here but Diego Havocís Chromatic Storm just caught my eye with how much it seems to tease with apparent combo potential (unless Iíve missed a big one)

Beacon of Chaos
2015-10-21, 01:47 PM
Ahaha, wow, so much for my entry being "boring" :smalltongue:

In regards to combo potential, well there's plenty in the various Ravnica and Alara blocks you can use for that. How about Teysa, Orzhov Scion (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=83546) or Knight of New Alara (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=189642)?

We're on page 50 now, so while I think of a new contest, would anyone like to suggest a title for a new thread?

Edit: MtG - You Make the Card IV: Threadwalkers

Ninjaman
2015-10-22, 01:26 AM
MtG - You Make the Card IV: Destroy all threads, they can't be regenerated.
MtG - You Make the Card IV: Sacrifice a thread: Seach the forum for a thread with one more converted mana cost and post in it.
MtG - You Make the Card IV: Subscribe to the top three threads, then unsubscribe two threads.
MtG - You Make the Card IV: When this thread dies, seach the forum for a thread and post in it.
MtG - You Make the Card IV: Users can't quote.
MtG - You Make the Card IV: Each user chooses from among the threads he or she has subscribed to, a discussion, a gaming, a comics and a play-by-post thread and unsubscribe the rest.
MtG - You Make the Card IV: Enchant thread, you control enchanted thread.
MtG - You Make the Card IV: Unsubscribe target discussion, target gaming, target comics and target play-by-post thread.

I could do this all day.

Beacon of Chaos
2015-10-22, 02:57 AM
Next challenge is at the top of the new thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?452801-MtG-You-Make-the-Card-IV-Threadwalkers&p=19981031#post19981031).

Apologies to Ninjaman for not using his thread name ideas. I just liked mine better. :smallredface:

tgva8889
2015-10-22, 11:31 AM
As my last note before the end of the thread, I had to word Mana Exertion the way I did so that it wouldn't break Storm even more than Storm is already broken.