PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How to make it on plane of fire

Ketiara
2014-08-05, 03:34 AM
So me and my groupe is going to the plane of fire.
We are a:
a group of lvl 10 players, we are a dwarf fighter, druid, wizard -abjuration, cleric/wizard -transmutation, cleric/fighter.

So only the druid and wizard have a full lvl10 casters, I don't know how many caster lvls the cleric/fighter and cleric/wiz has.

We use Core/Srd and spell compendium.

So my question is: What spells could be good to use? What would you prepare if you were going into the plane of fire, or a modified plane of fire.
is it possible to avoid the damage if falling into a lava lake?

How well does the quench spell work?
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/quench.htm

I plan on (as a druid) to use desmondu hunting bat form, and take on the battle from the air.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-08-05, 04:07 AM
A fire-dominant plane does 3d10 fire damage/round to unprotected creatures so you should be fine with Resist Energy for everyone as long as you can boost CL to 11.
Falling into lava does 20d6 of fire damage so you'll want to avoid that unless you get complete immunity. Just touching is isn't a problem though.

Quench does nothing against the fire-dominant trait. It does damage against creatures with the [fire] subtype but not more than most other direct damage spells. [Cold] spells are a better option if you want to go that way because [fire] creatures are vulnerable to it.

Fireward (Drd 5, SpC) can be useful since it suppresses breath weapons, fire spells and similar effects that do fire damage, which you may encounter. Resist Energy should take care of most of that though.

Twilightwyrm
2014-08-05, 04:24 AM
I hope you are traveling directly to the City of Brass, because simply being on a given area of the Elemental Plane of Fire does 3d10 fire damage every round. Basically, you'll be wanting either flat-out immunity to fire, or Fire Resistance 30 at the bare minimum for any kind of extended visit, unless you know the place you are going is going to be a non-fire dominant part of the Plane, and you can make it there quickly. And Fire Resistance 30 won't even completely cover you where volcanoes and rivers of lave are concerned. Unfortunately, Resist Energy requires CL 11 to provide Energy Resistance 30, and then only protects you for just 110 minutes at a time. Unless you plan on constantly recasting this (not advisable, as even extended you would need about three castings per person, per day). If you have someone with persist shenanigans than this is much less of a problem (one casting at CL 11 per person per day), but I'd not assume that is the case.

Ketiara
2014-08-05, 04:57 AM
I plan on using Attune form/avoid planar effects that negates the 3d10 fire dam pr round. We wont be going to Brass because although its fire plane, its not exactly like the books.

As for using cold descriptor spells, ive not focused on spellcraft wich I need to make (spellcraft 15+spell lvl) to cast.

Bronk
2014-08-05, 06:45 AM
'Attune Form' is the perfect spell to use... takes care of all the damaging affects of the plane and is long lasting.

Lava only deals 2d6 fire damage per round of exposure, and is negated by any amount of fire resistance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#lavaEffects) so even a prestidigitation spell would protect everyone in your party for an hour.

One of the other things about the plane of fire is that most of the food there is on fire or already ashes, so you might want to bring your own.

Tvtyrant
2014-08-05, 08:21 AM
Hallow spell with attached Resist Energy makes you immune to low level fire effects in an area for a year. This let's you make a base.

Hazrond
2014-08-05, 08:31 AM
So me and my groupe is going to the plane of fire.
We are a:
a group of lvl 10 players, we are a dwarf fighter, druid, wizard -abjuration, cleric/wizard -transmutation, cleric/fighter.

So only the druid and wizard have a full lvl10 casters, I don't know how many caster lvls the cleric/fighter and cleric/wiz has.

We use Core/Srd and spell compendium.

So my question is: What spells could be good to use? What would you prepare if you were going into the plane of fire, or a modified plane of fire.
is it possible to avoid the damage if falling into a lava lake?

How well does the quench spell work?
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/quench.htm

I plan on (as a druid) to use desmondu hunting bat form, and take on the battle from the air.

A fire-dominant plane does 3d10 fire damage/round to unprotected creatures so you should be fine with Resist Energy for everyone as long as you can boost CL to 11.
Falling into lava does 20d6 of fire damage so you'll want to avoid that unless you get complete immunity. Just touching is isn't a problem though.

Quench does nothing against the fire-dominant trait. It does damage against creatures with the [fire] subtype but not more than most other direct damage spells. [Cold] spells are a better option if you want to go that way because [fire] creatures are vulnerable to it.

Fireward (Drd 5, SpC) can be useful since it suppresses breath weapons, fire spells and similar effects that do fire damage, which you may encounter. Resist Energy should take care of most of that though.

I hope you are traveling directly to the City of Brass, because simply being on a given area of the Elemental Plane of Fire does 3d10 fire damage every round. Basically, you'll be wanting either flat-out immunity to fire, or Fire Resistance 30 at the bare minimum for any kind of extended visit, unless you know the place you are going is going to be a non-fire dominant part of the Plane, and you can make it there quickly. And Fire Resistance 30 won't even completely cover you where volcanoes and rivers of lave are concerned. Unfortunately, Resist Energy requires CL 11 to provide Energy Resistance 30, and then only protects you for just 110 minutes at a time. Unless you plan on constantly recasting this (not advisable, as even extended you would need about three castings per person, per day). If you have someone with persist shenanigans than this is much less of a problem (one casting at CL 11 per person per day), but I'd not assume that is the case.

I plan on using Attune form/avoid planar effects that negates the 3d10 fire dam pr round. We wont be going to Brass because although its fire plane, its not exactly like the books.

As for using cold descriptor spells, ive not focused on spellcraft wich I need to make (spellcraft 15+spell lvl) to cast.

Might I point out guys, having even one point of fire resistance will make you immune to both lava, and the periodic damage, it's part of the seperate descriptions of each :smallbiggrin:

Bronk
2014-08-05, 09:37 AM
Might I point out guys, having even one point of fire resistance will make you immune to both lava, and the periodic damage, it's part of the seperate descriptions of each :smallbiggrin:

That would be convenient... do you happen to have a link to the part about being immune to periodic damage?

Hazrond
2014-08-05, 10:32 AM
That would be convenient... do you happen to have a link to the part about being immune to periodic damage?

Let me check, I believe it was manual of the planes or planar handbook, maybe the SRD but it says that creatures with fire resistance or immunity don't take damage from the plane, I'll go check the srd

Ketiara
2014-08-05, 03:32 PM
please let me know where it says that, I cant find it.

Zombulian
2014-08-05, 03:46 PM
please let me know where it says that, I cant find it.

It's in the environmental hazards section of the SRD under Lava. One of the dumbest rules in the game.

Edit: Look up Environment on the SRD and Lava is a subsection of Heat Dangers.

An immunity or resistance to fire serves as an immunity to lava or magma. However, a creature immune to fire might still drown if completely immersed in lava.

Ketiara
2014-08-05, 03:53 PM
It's in the environmental hazards section of the SRD under Lava. One of the dumbest rules in the game.

Edit: Look up Environment on the SRD and Lava is a subsection of Heat Dangers.

What makes you say that? Im curious.

Zombulian
2014-08-05, 03:59 PM
What makes you say that? Im curious.

Because having Fire Resistance: 1 won't even protect you fully from touching a torch, never mind LITERALLY IMMERSING YOURSELF IN MOLTEN ROCK. But according to that rule you're fine.

Ketiara
2014-08-05, 04:02 PM
Because having Fire Resistance: 1 won't even protect you fully from touching a torch, never mind LITERALLY IMMERSING YOURSELF IN MOLTEN ROCK. But according to that rule you're fine.

ok, im with you on that, was just wondering if we were on the same page :D Lets see what our DM says, pretty sure he will rule it a dumb rule :D

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-05, 04:09 PM
Learn the spell Haze of Smoldering Stone in Dragon Magic (Sorcerer/Wizard 6, Druid 7). Just knowing the spell permanently gives you fire resist 3, which specifically stacks with any other resistance to fire you may have.

Zombulian
2014-08-05, 04:14 PM
Learn the spell Haze of Smoldering Stone in Dragon Magic (Sorcerer/Wizard 6, Druid 7). Just knowing the spell permanently gives you fire resist 3, which specifically stacks with any other resistance to fire you may have.

Wat.

bebshfjshd

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-05, 04:16 PM
Wat.

Yes. For reference (http://dndtools.eu/spells/dragon-magic--62/haze-of-smoldering-stone--1067/).

Zombulian
2014-08-05, 04:21 PM
Yes. For reference (http://dndtools.eu/spells/dragon-magic--62/haze-of-smoldering-stone--1067/).

Cool. I didn't really doubt you. It just seems a bit silly.

Phelix-Mu
2014-08-05, 04:27 PM
I usually suppose that what they meant to say was

An immunity or resistance to fire serves as an immunity or resistance to lava or magma. However, a creature immune to fire might still drown if completely immersed in lava.

Emphasis mine, added to increase the logical nature of the statement from "WTF" to "oh, well, that seems sensible."

Plus, it's a line of logic that is followed nowhere else in the game, most notably dealing with acid immersion. So I mostly just assume an error in the copy editing.

EDIT: The reason my clarification makes sense to me is that lava isn't actually on fire, per se, so this clarifies that molten rock is creating an effect that is mitigated by any protection from fire. They might have easily have said "Lava causes fire damage, and this damage is blocked by resistance/immunity to such." The original version makes no sense, since the contact is 10d6, IIRC, which is probably not super-unrealistic, and I don't at all see that lava is somehow special enough that the damage isn't treated as simple fire damage.

Indeed, if anything, simply coming within 5' of lava should cause real (if not huge) damage, since the stuff is ridiculously hot.

StoneCipher
2014-08-05, 04:42 PM
Yeah, and besides, I would assume most DMs would make you take the resulting damage from lava anyways and then subtract the amount of resist you have. That's the way I'd do it.

Zombulian
2014-08-05, 04:43 PM
Yeah, and besides, I would assume most DMs would make you take the resulting damage from lava anyways and then subtract the amount of resist you have. That's the way I'd do it.

That is perfectly reasonable. I was just pointing out the RAW.

Phelix-Mu
2014-08-05, 04:47 PM
That is perfectly reasonable. I was just pointing out the RAW.

This is definitely one of those areas that, if it were a perfect game, would have long since been fixed by some "3e guy" intern over at WotC responsible for issuing spot errata to make the game a more living organism to its progenitors, who have otherwise long-since scattered the proverbial ashes.

EDIT: Now applying for the position of "3e guy" at WotC. Will work for food.

Bronk
2014-08-05, 08:22 PM
Let me check, I believe it was manual of the planes or planar handbook, maybe the SRD but it says that creatures with fire resistance or immunity don't take damage from the plane, I'll go check the srd

I've looked through the SRD and the Manual of the Planes... I'm pretty sure a lesser amount of fire resistance won't protect you from the full 3d10 fire damage per round the Plane of Fire dishes out. I think either Fire Resistance 30 (like the gem dragons), immunity, or attune form is the way to go.

ArqArturo
2014-08-05, 08:42 PM
Do not enter in the plane of Fire if you have the half-marshmallow template
If you have a Graham Cracker familiar, be wary
Do not bring your chocolate golem into the plane of fire

Sorry :smallbiggrin:.

All silliness aside, Planar Adaptation works, also Fire Shield. That's all I can think of for now.

Hazrond
2014-08-05, 08:43 PM
I've looked through the SRD and the Manual of the Planes... I'm pretty sure a lesser amount of fire resistance won't protect you from the full 3d10 fire damage per round the Plane of Fire dishes out. I think either Fire Resistance 30 (like the gem dragons), immunity, or attune form is the way to go.

its not that its stopping the damage, its that the damage doesnt happen in the first place because you have the resistance, sorta like lava

Zombulian
2014-08-05, 09:08 PM
its not that its stopping the damage, its that the damage doesnt happen in the first place because you have the resistance, sorta like lava

But you have yet to show the source for that rule >.>

eggynack
2014-08-05, 09:11 PM
That doesn't really help much in this situation, as prepared casters don't get that benefit, and as the party's casting is all prepared. The spell isn't as ridiculous as it sounds, in other words.

Chronos
2014-08-05, 09:15 PM
The closest I could find was something like "Travelers to the Plane of Fire are advised to have fire resistance". It is indeed a good idea, but it never says how much. And even 10 or 20 will help, if perhaps not enough.

Hazrond
2014-08-05, 10:00 PM
But you have yet to show the source for that rule >.>

Im trying but i am having legitimate trouble finding the source myself, and yet at the same time i KNOW it was in the description of the plane of fire, somewhere....

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-06, 12:58 AM
That doesn't really help much in this situation, as prepared casters don't get that benefit, and as the party's casting is all prepared. The spell isn't as ridiculous as it sounds, in other words.

Prepared casters 'learn' spells, and learning represents acquisition of knowledge. Prepared casters certainly know their spells (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/divineSpells.htm#newDivineSpells): "Unlike a bard or sorcerer, a wizard may know any number of spells. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/sorcererWizard.htm#wizard)"

eggynack
2014-08-06, 01:05 AM
Prepared casters 'learn' spells, and learning represents acquisition of knowledge. Prepared casters certainly know their spells (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/divineSpells.htm#newDivineSpells): "Unlike a bard or sorcerer, a wizard may know any number of spells. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/sorcererWizard.htm#wizard)"
It's actually a quality of the type of spell, rather than a general quality of spell knowledge. The pertinent information is on page 60 of dragon magic, second paragraph, where it says that the special benefit applies only to characters with a list of spells known, and not to characters that prepare from a class list or spell book.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-06, 01:10 AM
It's actually a quality of the type of spell, rather than a general quality of spell knowledge. The pertinent information is on page 60 of dragon magic, second paragraph, where it says that the special benefit applies only to characters with a list of spells known, and not to characters that prepare from a class list or spell book.

I stand corrected. Spell Mastery is still a thing, though.

me_maikey
2014-08-06, 04:10 AM
Manual of the planes, page 75:
Plane of fire, fire trait: 3d10 fire dmg each round.

Manual of the planes, page 76:
steam clouds, 1d10 additional fire dmg, mostly for flying.
rains of ash, 1d10 additional fire dmg, mostly for grounded people
magma rivers and firefalls, "Magma rivers are incredibly hot, dealing an additional 20d10 points of fire damage to those who enter them", if you are immune to fire dmg you can still drown.

All those dangers on page 76 add up to the base fire damage that is everywhere on the plane except in the brass city.

spells to protect you:
Manual of the planes, page 33:
-Attune Form
Level: Clr 3, Drd 3, Sor/Wiz 4
Duration: 2hours/level
...Affected creatures gain the protection listed in the avoid planar effect spell.

-Avoid planar effects
Level: Clr 2, Drd 2, Sor/Wiz 3
Duration: 1 minute/level
...much text...protects from the 3d10 points of fire damage...

So those spells help you negate the base damage, just don't jump in lava rivers and watch out for locals. Almost all locals of that plain attack on sight.

Eldariel
2014-08-06, 04:48 AM
Even if you use Avoid Planar Effect, you'll still want a number of Resist Energies prepared. The spell is 2 hours 20 mins on this level provided you don't have a caster level booster, and Fire Resistance 20 is certainly going to come in handy in dealing with any locals. It's also a backup in case your Avoid Planar Effect gets Dispelled (make sure someone has Plane Shift available if worst comes to worst, tho).

Bronk
2014-08-06, 01:01 PM
[B]Manual of the planes, page 76:
magma rivers and firefalls, "Magma rivers are incredibly hot, dealing an additional 20d10 points of fire damage to those who enter them", if you are immune to fire dmg you can still drown.

The magma rules changed slightly in 3.5:

Basically, Lava and Magma are equivalent, being 'exposed' to either is 2d6 damage, and immersion is 20d6 damage.

Tindragon
2014-08-06, 01:05 PM
Persistent Avoid Planar Effects would be perfect. Or just Attune Form

(Manual of the Planes)

Transmutation
Level: Cleric 3, Druid 3, Sorcerer 4, Wizard 4, Spellthief 4,
Components: V, S, M, DF,
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Target: One or more living creatures touched
Duration: 2 hours/level (see text)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell allows you to attune the affected creatures to the plane you are currently on, negating harmful and negative natural effects of that plane.
Affected creatures gain the protections listed in the avoid planar effects spell.
Arcane Material Component: A bit of stone or earth from your home plane.

Persistent Spell

( Complete Arcane, p. 81)

[Metamagic]

You can make a spell last all day.
Prerequisite
Extend Spell (PH) ,
Benefit
Spells with a fixed or personal range can have their duration increased to 24 hours. Spells of instantaneous duration cannot be affected by this feat, nor can spells whose effects are discharged. You don't need to maintain concentration on persistent detect spells (such as detect magic or detect thoughts) for you to be aware of the mere presence or absence of the subject detected, but gaining additional information requires concentration as normal. A persistent spell uses up a spell slot six levels higher than the spell's actual level.
AVOID PLANAR
EFFECTS
Abjuration
Level: Cleric 2, druid 2, sorcerer/
wizard 3
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 immediate action
Range: 20 ft.
Targets: One creature/level in a
20-ft.-radius burst centered on you
Duration: 1 minute/level
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
The danger of the plane surprises you, and
you have barely time to bark out a few elder
words of power. In a moment you’re safe,
and you gain a brief respite—time enough
to cast more permanent protective spells.
You gain a temporary respite from
the natural effects of a specifi c plane.
These effects include extremes in temperature,
lack of air, poisonous fumes,
emanations of positive or negative
energy, or other attributes of the plane
itself (DMG 150).
Avoid planar effects provides protection
from the 3d10 points of fi re
damage that characters normally take
when on a plane with the fi re-dominant
trait. Avoid planar effects allows a
character to breathe water on a waterdominant
plane and ignore the threat
of suffocation on an earth-dominant
plane. A character protected by avoid
planar effects can’t be blinded by the
energy of a major positive-dominant
plane and automatically stops gaining
temporary hit points when they equal
the character’s full normal hit point
total. Negative-dominant planes don’t
deal damage or bestow negative levels
to characters protected by avoid planar
effects.
In addition, some effects specifi c to a
plane are negated by avoid planar effects.
In the D&D cosmology, avoid planar
effects negates the deafening effect of
Pandemonium and the cold damage on
the Cania layer of the Nine Hells. The
DM can add additional protections for a
cosmology he creates. If the campaign
has an Elemental Plane of Cold, for
example, avoid planar effects protects
against the base cold damage dealt to
everyone on the plane.
The effects of gravity traits, alignment
traits, and magic traits aren’t
negated by avoid planar effects, nor is
the special entrapping trait of certain
planes (such as Elysium and Hades).
The spell does not provide protection
against creatures, native or
otherwise, nor does it protect against
spells, special abilities, or extreme
and nonnatural formations within the
plane. This spell allows you to survive
on the Elemental Plane of Earth, for
instance, but it won’t protect you if
you walk into a pool of magma on that
same plane.

At your current level, that is unlikely. However the spell could be done on a Wand with 50 charges, base price for a level 5 caster creating it (10 minute duration per charge) would be 11,250 GP (at wizard creation, for cleric only being a level 2 spell it's 7500 for same)
Edit: The Attune Form wand from level cleric would be 11,250 as well, and would give 10 hours each charge. May be the way to go...

Wand base price 750 × level of spell × level of caster

You could always try and get more permanent items made, and take into account the race/class/alignment of the wearer when crafted to bring price down, if the campaign/DM allows for that kind of creation. Even a wand made by a higher level caster, with extend built in?...

Other wise, there is the above mentioned resist elements spells, also available as items, armor ad-ons etc....

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-06, 01:13 PM
Persistent Avoid Planar Effects would be perfect.

Planar Tolerance is identical to Avoid Planar Effects but it lasts an hour/level by default. Just use Extend Spell and cast Rope Trick to rest (the planar effects don't extend into the extradimensional space) and it's a nonissue.

Tindragon
2014-08-06, 01:45 PM
Planar Tolerance is identical to Avoid Planar Effects but it lasts an hour/level by default. Just use Extend Spell and cast Rope Trick to rest (the planar effects don't extend into the extradimensional space) and it's a nonissue.

Planar Tolerance

(Planar Handbook)

Abjuration
Level: Sorcerer 3, Wizard 3, Spellthief 3, Cleric 4, Druid 4, Ranger 4, Consecrated Harrier 4,
Components:
Duration: 1 hour/level

As avoid planar effects, except the effects last longer (as noted above, 1 hour per level instead of 1 minute per level).

Attune Form

(Manual of the Planes)

Transmutation
Level: Cleric 3, Druid 3, Sorcerer 4, Wizard 4, Spellthief 4,
Components: V, S, M, DF,
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Target: One or more living creatures touched
Duration: 2 hours/level (see text)
Spell Resistance: No

This spell allows you to attune the affected creatures to the plane you are currently on, negating harmful and negative natural effects of that plane.
Affected creatures gain the protections listed in the avoid planar effects spell.
Arcane Material Component: A bit of stone or earth from your home plane.

Really just depends on who's casting it I guess, the Abjurer or one of Clerics in his party. Abjurer gets it as an immediate action for 1 hour per level, or clerics get it as 1 standard for 2 hours per level, either way, I am thinking we've got this figured out for him :smallwink:

Tindragon
2014-08-06, 01:50 PM
Also a permanent Avoid Planar Effects Amulet could be created for base 32,000 gp. (again, if you can use race/class/alignment options can be cheaper)

Long run, this is the way to go for planar campaign (I am currently playing a conjurer in a planar campaign, so this is all on my mind of late)

sleepyphoenixx
2014-08-06, 02:50 PM
Also a permanent Avoid Planar Effects Amulet could be created for base 32,000 gp. (again, if you can use race/class/alignment options can be cheaper)

Long run, this is the way to go for planar campaign (I am currently playing a conjurer in a planar campaign, so this is all on my mind of late)

32000gp is a lot of money for such a limited effect, especially when a lot of planes don't even have any effects you'd need the protection against. You can get a wand for a third of that so unless you spent all your time on hostile planes it's really overkill and a waste of money imo.

Zirconia
2014-08-06, 03:46 PM
Planar Tolerance

(Planar Handbook)

Abjuration
Level: Sorcerer 3, Wizard 3, Spellthief 3, Cleric 4, Druid 4, Ranger 4, Consecrated Harrier 4,
Components:
Duration: 1 hour/level

As avoid planar effects, except the effects last longer (as noted above, 1 hour per level instead of 1 minute per level).

Now that is interesting, a third level (for Wiz/Sorc, hardly obscure classes) spell from the Planar Handbook that specifically says "as [another third level spell, Avoid Planar Effects]" but better in every way, i.e. longer duration. I don't think I've seen that explicit an admission that something is underpowered before, usually they just adjust a spell by a level in another book.

Bronk
2014-08-06, 04:09 PM
Perhaps you could find a way to retcon or retrain the druid's ninth level as a druid planar substitution level... Ninth level gets 'Planar tolerance', which is basically a constant 'Planar Tolerance' spell. (Planar Handbook)

Eldariel
2014-08-06, 06:19 PM

Planar Tolerance gives this to your entire party for hours/level out of a 4th/5th level slot (Spell Compendium version takes precedence). As such, I strongly recommend instead investing in e.g. Rod of Extend Spell or something generally usable, rather than a custom magic item (not to even mention the whole can of worms that are custom magic items). If dispelling is a concern, it's probably prudent to rather just either have an escape plan or prepare another copy (easily done with multiple spellcasters in the party). Everyone getting an amulet would just be horribly wasteful.

Tindragon
2014-08-07, 10:57 AM
Now that is interesting, a third level (for Wiz/Sorc, hardly obscure classes) spell from the Planar Handbook that specifically says "as [another third level spell, Avoid Planar Effects]" but better in every way, i.e. longer duration. I don't think I've seen that explicit an admission that something is underpowered before, usually they just adjust a spell by a level in another book.

Avoid is an "immediate action", so you get thrown through a gate or plane shifted unexpectedly into the plane of fire, you can immediate action this.

Same situation, you are making concentration check to get the spell off. bad time for a low d20 roll vs potentially 3d10 damage... It has it's uses.

As far as the item being expensive, yep . As long as casters have the spell prepped, and are conscious, great. But if your the non caster who gets bull rushed into the portal by the BBEG, your boned, you can't use a wand, you may not have proper resist up, then it's a life saver till someone in the party can hopefully come get you...

Tindragon
2014-08-07, 11:01 AM
RL (IG) Example, a few weeks back, we're wandering around in Sigil, and whooomp, right into some other plane (never did figure it out exactly, but it was something with earth elemental beings and some negative energy (lowish) damage). We were not prepared, and the paladin was burning wand cures like crazy keeping us up long enough to find a portal out, which of course we had to fight to get to. Luckily a couple well placed webs got us a free running lane passed a small mob guarding the area, and were able to get out alive. But, had we had the items, we coulda stayed and trounced em, or tried at least!

You just never know.

Eldariel
2014-08-07, 01:41 PM
As far as the item being expensive, yep . As long as casters have the spell prepped, and are conscious, great. But if your the non caster who gets bull rushed into the portal by the BBEG, your boned, you can't use a wand, you may not have proper resist up, then it's a life saver till someone in the party can hopefully come get you...

Way too much gold invested into dealing with a low likelihood scenario. I'd much rather have an item that Plane Shifts or Teleports, for instance; those are overall useful and solve this problem to a degree. Like, imagine someone tries to turn you into a newt and all you have is a 32k amulet that does nothing to protect you. Or a Dragon breathes on you. Or a demon tries to mind control you. Or you need to stop the Cathezar or Obligatum VII from reaching their destination or whatever.

Having half your WBL invested into an item that does nothing to aid you in any general tasks you might encounter is not a solid plan. Maybe if you're level 20 and it's only ~5% of your wealth, but by then you should have more sophisticated solutions available. No, I maintain that it's too specialized to ever be worth the gold, even if it has paid for itself in someone's game; even then, I maintain purchasing it was suboptimal use of gold.