PDA

View Full Version : Dice Fall, Enemy Rocks (Or, How to get revenge on a malevolent number generator.)

Socksy
2014-08-05, 07:58 AM
Our group has a number generator which is tsundere most of the time, which we can live with, and another one which, during a miniboss fight, decided Mr. Corrupted Unseelie Fae Dude was too good to roll anything less than a 16 on a d20, throughout the entire fight, which would have probably resulted in a TPK if the DM hadn't reminded me I still had a hero point left to not get hit from full toughness to being knocked out.

So, Playground: Have you ever had experiences with a die which wanted you to, well, die? What did you do about it?

lytokk
2014-08-05, 08:28 AM
Crushed it with a table vice while the rest of the dice were splayed out on my workbench. Let them know that if any of them were to fail me this would happen to them. Rolling 5 1's in a row during a boss fight will do that to a guy.

This does remind me that there's currently a dice shaming tumblr, funny to read through.

Socksy
2014-08-05, 05:08 PM
O: I've seen a couple of posts ("I left my owner on fire for five turns and then failed a save vs. petrification") but not the tumblr itself. Can I have a link? :D

saxavarius
2014-08-05, 05:20 PM
Here is a link http://dice-corner-of-shame.tumblr.com/

lytokk
2014-08-05, 05:22 PM
Here ya go. (http://www.tumblr.com/search/dice%20shaming)

Jay R
2014-08-06, 10:27 AM
The purpose of dice is to give an uncontrollable, unpredictable result. You bought them specifically so you would have no control over the result. The game uses them precisely to give you no control over the result. That’s why there is so much effort spent trying to control the result.

CombatOwl
2014-08-06, 10:29 AM
Our group has a number generator which is tsundere most of the time, which we can live with, and another one which, during a miniboss fight, decided Mr. Corrupted Unseelie Fae Dude was too good to roll anything less than a 16 on a d20, throughout the entire fight, which would have probably resulted in a TPK if the DM hadn't reminded me I still had a hero point left to not get hit from full toughness to being knocked out.

So, Playground: Have you ever had experiences with a die which wanted you to, well, die? What did you do about it?

I have a disturbing tendency to roll morale checks and have the enemies pass it like a boss---in any system that has them. It's actually kind of a recurring joke at my games.

The_Admiral
2014-08-06, 11:18 AM
Tsun also hates her knowing, anything, at all.

The_Werebear
2014-08-06, 01:21 PM
Crushed it with a table vice while the rest of the dice were splayed out on my workbench. Let them know that if any of them were to fail me this would happen to them. Rolling 5 1's in a row during a boss fight will do that to a guy.

This does remind me that there's currently a dice shaming tumblr, funny to read through.

I did much the same, though I smashed mine with a claw hammer and kept the shards in my dice bag as a warning to the other dice.

The purpose of dice is to give an uncontrollable, unpredictable result. You bought them specifically so you would have no control over the result. The game uses them precisely to give you no control over the result. That’s why there is so much effort spent trying to control the result.

Shhh, let us be superstitious. That's half the fun of tabletop games.

Socksy
2014-08-06, 03:32 PM
Tsun also hates her knowing, anything, at all.

Yeah, I consistently roll below a 10 across dozens of perception checks, intuition checks, and similar rolls. I think I've rolled above a ten maybe three or four times with this roller. :smallfrown:

The other roller we ditched after it almost caused the TPK, but will be using it for a 3.5 game soon. Perhaps I'll smash a d20 in front of my laptop as warning. :smalltongue::smallsmile:

cougon
2014-08-06, 09:51 PM
One of my friends owns a d20 that never seems to roll below an 18 when he's running games. His wife now has a habit of taking and hiding that particular die whenever he's going to run a game.

NeoPhoenix0
2014-08-07, 02:02 AM
I have a soulless black die of doom. I've put it through rigorous roll testing and it came up pretty neutral. However when I DM with it and only when I DM with it, it does nasty things to pcs. It killed a character, who thankfully wanted to roll a new character, it triple critted with 3 nat 20s (thankfully only a freshly summoned minion), it killed off one characters pet hydra and killed two more characters who were immediately revived by last breath, and the enemies were just generally lucky. Even without the killer die, that campaign was pretty grueling. but at least i think the players felt accomplished afterwards.

Esprit15
2014-08-07, 03:04 AM
When my GM pulls out his tiny, teal dice, you know **** is serious.

Meanwhile my d20 must be fed garlic butter in order to roll above 10, as we learned during one session when we ordered pizza.

Socksy
2014-08-07, 03:53 AM
When my GM pulls out his tiny, teal dice, you know **** is serious.

Meanwhile my d20 must be fed garlic butter in order to roll above 10, as we learned during one session when we ordered pizza.

Probably not what you meant, but I'm imagining a die with a tiny, tiny mouth nomming quite happily on some garlic butter. (Eeeeeeeeeeeee!)