PDA

View Full Version : Moving nostalgia forward

Fwiffo86
2014-08-05, 09:01 AM
So, I've been reviewing some of my old modules and sourcebooks, and I have come to the idea that I want to run a Mystaran game for 5e. Given that many people here seem to be closet mathematicians, and like to pull apart the iddy biddy minutia of everything I thought they would be perfect to ask the following question:

What is a good set of guidelines for converting to 5e? And I'm talking Gazetteer 1-15 Mystara, not the 2e attempt at a reboot. So, basically.... 1e to 5e conversions I suppose.

Merc_Kilsek
2014-08-05, 09:19 AM
So, I've been reviewing some of my old modules and sourcebooks, and I have come to the idea that I want to run a Mystaran game for 5e. Given that many people here seem to be closet mathematicians, and like to pull apart the iddy biddy minutia of everything I thought they would be perfect to ask the following question:

What is a good set of guidelines for converting to 5e? And I'm talking Gazetteer 1-15 Mystara, not the 2e attempt at a reboot. So, basically.... 1e to 5e conversions I suppose.

Took me a bit to hunt this down but maybe you will find some value with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLWm8hX-bg4&feature=youtu.be

obryn
2014-08-05, 10:30 AM
That's not even 1e to 5e; it's BECMI/RC to 5e.

I don't think there's sufficient information right now to talk about system conversions, but the setting fluff should fit just fine!

archaeo
2014-08-05, 11:00 AM
That's not even 1e to 5e; it's BECMI/RC to 5e.

I don't think there's sufficient information right now to talk about system conversions, but the setting fluff should fit just fine!

Well, there is the WotC promise to create conversion guides in the near future. It'll be interesting to see if they'll go so far as creating a 1e -> 5e (or BECMI or whatever) conversion guide.

akaddk
2014-08-06, 04:30 AM
Well, there is the WotC promise to create conversion guides in the near future. It'll be interesting to see if they'll go so far as creating a 1e -> 5e (or BECMI or whatever) conversion guide.

That would be so awesome if they do. What would be even more awesome is that they actually work.

I'd love to convert the old Dragonlance Saga modules to 5e and run them. I have all of them and all the wonderful maps from them and yet have never gotten the chance to use them.

Joe the Rat
2014-08-06, 07:26 AM
Hmm. Basic is scheduled for the monsters & treasure update in a few days. That's a good place to start. The common monsters should be there for easy conversion. The rarer or module unique creations may need some fiddling. Ballparking from similar listings is a good first step.

The tricky part is task DCs, particularly traps, locks, and secret doors. Do you want to emulate the assumed success rates (thief ability by level, 1 in 6 secret door noticing, etc.), or do gut ballpark estimates on difficulty? A trained lockpicker ("proficient with thieves' tools") will most likely start with a +4 or +5. 25% success rate for this person translates to a DC of around 20. The default secret door detection rate is about DC 18 (assuming no stat bonus or proficiency). Saving throws are another one: You will need to redo these based on what the "logical" save stat would be, though it's a a safe bet that Petrification/Polymorph is Constitution, and Dragon Breath is Dexterity. It's probably easier to use the original save categories to assign save DCs. Death is typically easiest, Dragon Breath and Spells the hardest.

That should get you a start, until some sort of "official" conversion function comes out... at which point you can compare and see which version you like better: The official re-up, or your own freelance work.