PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Optimizing Psionics

RealMarkP
2014-08-05, 09:29 AM
Preface: My DM has come up with a point-buy system where we can spend XP on feats, class abilities, psionic powers, etc. I'm not limited to any class structure, nor am I limited to any level progression. As long as I have the XP, I can buy it. Example: I can buy a Rogue's sneak attack and a Barbarian's rage ability and have a wizard's familiar.

Anyway, in this system I'm playing a psionic user, mostly focused on being the battlefield controller of the group. I specialized in Astral Constructs. I've taken Wild Surge +1 and +2, Split Ray for pewpew. The DM has stated that we are not limited to psionics; any feat or ability that works specifically on spells can be used to work on psionic powers (within reason and DM approval).

Having completed a major milestone in the story, the DM will be awarding us with lots of XP. I'm curious to know what you guys think my next purchases be, given that I can buy almost any feat or class ability. What are your thoughts?

EDIT: My DM has allowed me to use PF, as long as it's compatible and he allows it.

Red Fel
2014-08-05, 09:40 AM
Having completed a major milestone in the story, the DM will be awarding us with lots of XP. I'm curious to know what you guys think my next purchases be, given that I can buy almost any feat or class ability. What are your thoughts?

I'm going to assume you're doing 3.0/3.5 instead of PF. If you're not, please advise.

If you could take any class feature? I can see several options. Spellcasting, as a level 20 Cleric. Spellcasting, as a level 20 Wizard. Spellcasting, as a level 20 Sorcerer. Manifesting, as a level 20 Psion. Acquire Class Feature, as a level 10 Illithid Savant. Acquire Special Attack or Special Quality, as a level 9 Illithid Savant.
Why did I list the level? Because the level is important. When it comes to spellcasting, for example, acquiring spellcasting from a level 20 Cleric as opposed to a level 1 Cleric is the difference between 9th-level spells and 1st-level spells. Similarly, Acquire Class Feature works once; Acquire Class Feature at Illithid Savant level 10 works three times.

Yes. You could use your ability to buy a new class feature to buy a class feature that lets you steal three class features. You monster.

Now, if he's being more realistic about what you can or can't take, that changes matters. Do you have to meet prerequisites for whatever you take, or can you simply buy as you like? Because there are some rather disgusting combinations you can produce if prerequisites are thrown out.

For example, there are some fun Soulmelds that go nicely with a Psionic build. Grabbing a few free Shape Soulmeld and Open Chakra feats would be pretty nice.

RealMarkP
2014-08-05, 10:56 AM
I'm going to assume you're doing 3.0/3.5 instead of PF. If you're not, please advise.
He is allowing the use of Pathfinder content, within reason and scrutiny. I added this to the original post.

Why did I list the level? Because the level is important.
I have to buy level as well. It's treated like a skill, called Manifester Level. It's expensive, which limits how much I can buy in one go. Secondly, there is no caster level; spells are treated like powers, but without the cool augmentation mechanic. So technically, being a 5th level manifester, I'm a 5th level caster as well.

Also, I have to buy each spell individually. So I don't have access to a long spell list. I'm more like a sorcerer with a limited spell portfolio. The Astral Constructs have been a boon for most encounters. Extending the list of menu options is always a plus.

Do you have to meet prerequisites for whatever you take, or can you simply buy as you like? Because there are some rather disgusting combinations you can produce if prerequisites are thrown out.

Yes, I have to meet prereqs. Buying the prereq is one cost, but buying an ability/feat that has a prereq is more expensive, so the it's a double-whammy. So far, I've been buying the low-hanging feats and abilities. The further up the level progression an ability is, the more expensive.

Red Fel
2014-08-05, 11:20 AM
Yes, I have to meet prereqs. Buying the prereq is one cost, but buying an ability/feat that has a prereq is more expensive, so the it's a double-whammy. So far, I've been buying the low-hanging feats and abilities. The further up the level progression an ability is, the more expensive.

Ooh, so this is uniquely challenging. I still say picking the Illithid Savant tricks is a neat way to make him regret his decision keep your options open, but let's consider some other options.

The Incarnum feats are still decent choices, in my opinion, and they offer lots of flexibility.

I'd like to ask, though, is there anything else you can buy? Types or subtypes, for example? Would your DM allow the Rituals in Savage Species? I remind you that these rituals already require money and xp, so his system wouldn't even be needed, but you can use them to qualify for all sorts of naughty things. For example, the Ritual of Association and Ritual of Alignment are great for giving you the benefits of a particular type or subtype. And if your DM is willing, you might bypass the Rituals altogether, and buy a type or subtype outright - actually gaining the attendant abilities rather than just being "treated as X."

ProTip: You want Construct. If you can gain Construct abilities, grab it and never look back. Shaper Psion + Construct = win.

Okay. Let's move on to more practical stuff. You can go through Psionic feats and pick and choose as you like; you don't need my help particularly there. Let's dig through some class features. Go look up Factotum. See all of those neat class abilities? Kid in a candy store. Go nuts.

Several in particular you want: Cunning Insight, Brains over Brawn, Cunning Defense, Cunning Surge, Cunning Breach, Cunning Dodge, Cunning Brilliance. Since you don't have a Factotum level giving you Inspiration Points, you should be buying up the Font of Inspiration feat. Multiple times. Each time it gives you more Inspiration Points.

Cunning Surge is awesome, because extra actions. Cunning Breach is very useful for you, since it lets you overcome resistances. And Cunning Brilliance is basically like a watered-down version of the Illithid Savant abilities above - each day, you can pick three (Ex) class abilities from any class, and for 4 IP, you can use one for 1 minute.

Best of all, you're a Psion - you cast off of Int. (At least, you never explicitly said you were a Psion. I'm assuming.) Factotum abilities trigger off of Int. Font of Inspiration? Capped by Int. Brains over Brawn? Adds Int to physical skills. Cunning Insight? Int-to-attack, damage, or saves.

One more thing you want. Save boosts. Specifically, you want Improved Evasion - because it's a class feature instead of a feat, it has no prereqs, so you can take it without first taking Evasion - and Mettle. The former means that any Reflex save-for-half abilities turn into save-for-none, fail-for-half; the latter gives turns Will and Fort save abilities from save-for-half into save-for-none (but still full damage on a failed save).

Feel free to stock up on similar passives. A Monk's Wis-to-AC. A Battle Dancer's Cha-to-AC. A Fist of the Forest's Con-to-AC. Paladin's Cha-to-saves. Here's a list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?125732-3-x-X-stat-to-Y-bonus). Anything that keeps you afloat long enough to inflict much murder.

RealMarkP
2014-08-05, 12:51 PM
I'd like to ask, though, is there anything else you can buy? Types or subtypes, for example?
No. I'm a standard Human. Illithids (and most of the D&D races and monsters) are not available in this universe. Or, at least, not in the traditional sense; there could be Illithid-like creatures. Anyway, those subtypes don't exist and I doubt the DM will allow it. It's not a standard d20 fantasy/modern campaign.

Best of all, you're a Psion - you cast off of Int.
Actually, I should have mentioned this at the start. The DM house ruled psionics so that they are wisdom based. He had a good explanation for it, which I cannot remember now. I still have Int, but it's not as high as my Wis score.

Several in particular you want: Cunning Insight, Brains over Brawn, Cunning Defense, Cunning Surge, Cunning Breach, Cunning Dodge, Cunning Brilliance.
To give you a sense of how this system works, Cunning Breach is 8th level, which is treated as having 8 prerequisites in this system. It costs the same as 8 non-prereq feats. Is that worth the extra action? Maybe not. This is the main reason why I have been sticking to 1st level abilities, especially those that maximize bang-for-buck.

Feel free to stock up on similar passives. A Monk's Wis-to-AC.
Given that Wis is my best score, this might be my best option. Anything that adds to AC is great, given that I have very minimal HP (without using Vigor).

Phelix-Mu
2014-08-05, 01:01 PM
You must have a really capable DM. The list of unintended consequences of this houserule seems huge. I am torn between fear for the future of your game, and profound envy that someone is running something so awesome under the guise of 3e.

I'd reiterate that poaching some factotum class features would be nice. Even Brains Over Brawn would be awesome for maybe telekinesis (not sure if that works, off the top of my head, as telekinetic maneuver maybe already does away with the dex/str based stuff).

There are PrC features from Master of the Unseen Hand, Constructor, and a couple other of the Mind's Eye article PrCs that would be pretty awesome if they could be divorced from the rest of those classes. Just so, otherwise not-so-awesome stuff like Cerebremancer, shadowcaster, and, as mentioned, the Incarnum (recharge tricks anyone?) starts to look more appealing.

Finally, Font of Power from Metamind in the EPH is possibly one of the most campaign-rending things out there if it can be taken to a high level of op and stored. In an epic campaign I was in, I came up with a shaper/Constructor/Metamind that had filled a demiplane with chambers full of quintessence, then used Font of Power over downtime with metapowered linked synchronicity to basically store NI astral constructs on ice for use in big battles. DM let it fly, lol.

Red Fel
2014-08-05, 01:11 PM
To give you a sense of how this system works, Cunning Breach is 8th level, which is treated as having 8 prerequisites in this system. It costs the same as 8 non-prereq feats. Is that worth the extra action? Maybe not. This is the main reason why I have been sticking to 1st level abilities, especially those that maximize bang-for-buck.

Ahh, now I get it. Okay, so let's look at abilities and feats you can easily grab. But first...

Given that Wis is my best score, this might be my best option. Anything that adds to AC is great, given that I have very minimal HP (without using Vigor).

Okay. So, specifically, we're looking for feats and abilities that would benefit a primary caster with Wis as his primary stat.

Given that casting tends to be an active ability, we ideally want things that provide passive benefits; things that work automatically, requiring no action on your part. Let's start with a list of Wis-to-X abilities you can grab easily: AC: Monk 1 or Ninja 1 gives you Wis to AC while unarmored. Swordsage 2 gives you Wis to AC while wearing light armor. They don't stack, so just pick one. I'd go with Swordsage, since light armor helps, but that's a 2nd-level ability. Damage: Shiba Protector 1 adds Wis to damage (and attack). Attack: The Intuitive Attack allows you to use Wis instead of Str on attack rolls with simple or natural weapons. Special: The Serenity feat replaces Cha with Wis for all Cha-based Paladin abilities. So if you grab some Paladin abilities, grabbing this feat keys them to your primary stat. Remember that Paladin 1 gets you Smite Evil (which adds your Wis to damage), and Paladin 2 gets you Divine Grace (Wis to saves).
Those are just a few simple examples. I'll ruminate on other options and get back to you.

Phelix-Mu
2014-08-05, 01:27 PM
If you can purchase spells as powers, then you can get owl's insight off of the druid spell list in the Spell Compendium. It adds half your caster level to your Wisdom as an insight bonus, and could be very exploitable if you can pull it off with respect to your ML.

There was a snazzy 3.0 article covering Advanced Psionic Tattoos. Some pretty cool beans if 3.0 is on the table.

Red Fel
2014-08-05, 02:32 PM
Alright. Low-level class abilities worth grabbing that don't necessarily involve Wis but are nonetheless useful, particularly for a caster: Thrallherd 1: Thrallherd. Get a cohort at your level -1, with no Leadership requirement, who is eminently replaceable. Profit. Duskblade 1: Arcane Attument. Get a bunch of spells usable 3+ Int times a day. Free stuff that in no way detracts from your limits. Beholder Mage 1: Arcane Hands. (Note: Do you have to meet the prereqs for the class? Or can you just take its ability?) Basically gives you free telekinesis. Dragon Shaman 1: Draconic Aura. Good for the whole party! (Hint: Take Vigor.) Frostrager 1: Freezing Blood. You are immune to bleed effects and automatically stabilize. Hellbreaker 1: You negate telepathy within 20 feet, and impede divination. Heir of Siberys 2: You gain a Mark of Siberys. This is a 1/day SLA that's incredibly powerful, such as Greater Teleport, Prismatic Wall, or my favorite, Storm of Vengeance. Metamind 1: Free Manifesting. This isn't hard. You're a manifester. You get 3/day 1st-level powers free.
Okay. Now let's look at some feats. Psionic Mastery: Need to make an ML check? Take 10. Craft Psionic Seal: It's like crafting a contingent spell. But psionic. Extend Power, Twin Power, Widen Power, Quicken Power: You've seen them. They're good. Since you don't have to worry about feat limits, go nuts. Burrowing Power, Transdimensional Power, Empower Power, Maximized Power, Split Psionic Ray: These are good if you're blasting. If not... They're nice to have, but not as vital. Boost Construct: You make Astral Constructs. This helps Astral Constructs. Do it. Metamorphic Transfer: Since you can take any power you want, take Metamorphosis. This gives you an ability from that form. Psionic Meditation: Recover Focus as a move action. Yes. Speed of Thought/ Up the Walls: While Focused, +10 speed and walk on walls. No down side. Added mobility is always good.
Well, I'm spent for now. I'm sure I'll come up with more later.