PDA

View Full Version : ability enhcancements

MeklorIlavator
2007-03-04, 02:55 PM
Do enchantment bonuses, like those from circlet of intelligence give bonus skill points or bonus spells? I don't think so, but the question has come up, and I never have gotten a good ruling on this. So what do you think?

Bears With Lasers
2007-03-04, 02:56 PM
Bonus skill points, no. Bonus spells, definitely.

Macrovore
2007-03-04, 02:57 PM
bonus spells? yes, but you have to have it on when you ready your spells and when you cast them. Skill points? no.

MeklorIlavator
2007-03-04, 03:08 PM
thanks, last time I asked my old Dm said no. Then again, he let everyone have 2 standard action per turn.

Roderick_BR
2007-03-04, 05:26 PM
I never allow "temporary" bonuses to give bonuses like that.
Circlets of Intellect and Fox Cunning spells rises the DC of your spells, and enhances your Int-based skills, but don't give extra spells.
Same for Cloaks of Charisma and similar charisma boosting effects: No bonus spells for bards and sorcerers, but all calculations based on Charisma (like save DCs, and skills) are affected. A paladin doesn't get extra Lay-on Hands points, but it does improve his Di
vine Grace. Paladin and Clerics doesn't gain more Turn Undead uses, but the Turning Rolls and Turning Damage are affected.
Periapt of Wisdom and Owl's Wisdom spells and similars doesn't give bonus spells for clerics and druids, but rise the save DC for their spells and Will saves for all characters, and the monk's AC bonus and save DCs for Stunning Fist and similar effects.

If you want bonus spells, it's easier to just get those pearls of power.

Bears With Lasers
2007-03-04, 05:32 PM
You know that's not how it's *meant* to go, right? That Cloak of Charisma should get the sorcerer extra spells/day, the cleric more turning attempts, et cetera. Is this a deliberate nerf, or just a misunderstanding?

Amiria
2007-03-04, 05:36 PM
It was confirmed by the faq that things like a Headband of Intellect give bonus spells.

Do ability enhancing items (such as the headband of intellect, cloak of charisma, and periapt of wisdom) grant bonus spells to the appropriate spellcasters? The spells these items are based on would seem to prohibit it, but the only things specifically addressed in the item descriptions are skill points.

Yes, you can get extra bonus spells if you have an item that increases the ability score that governs your spellcasting. To get the extra bonus spells, you must wear the item while resting to regain spells and all through your initial daily preparations for spellcasting. (Even characters who don’t prepare spells need to meditate a little while at the beginning of the day; see Daily Readying of spells under the Sorcerers and bards section of Chapter 10 in the Player’s Handbook.) If you lose the item, you immediately lose the bonus spell slots the item gave you, starting with any uncast spells you have of the appropriate levels.

daggaz
2007-03-04, 05:51 PM
Its also in either the players handbook or the DMG that +int items will give you bonus skill points IF the player has worn the item for the majority of their entire level, at which point upon levelling they get the ekstra points.

Clementx
2007-03-04, 05:55 PM
Its also in either the players handbook or the DMG that +int items will give you bonus skill points IF the player has worn the item for the majority of their entire level, at which point upon levelling they get the ekstra points.

Find the page then come back and say that. Because its not in any WotC book.

The_Snark
2007-03-04, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is not the case. Bonus spells, yes. Skill points, no; only inherent bonuses increase the number of skill points you get.

Question I just thought of: What happens to the bonus spells if the magic item is removed or destroyed? Do they remain until the caster next prepares/regains spells, at which point they go away, or do they vanish immediately?

TheOOB
2007-03-04, 06:00 PM
If your ability score decreases you immediatly lose any spell slots that where granted by the ability, losing prepared spell slots first.

For example, a 5th level wizard has a 16 int, and thus has 1 bonus 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level spell slot. A spell damages their int and puts it to 14, thus they lose a bonus 3rd level slot. Since they allready cast one of their two 3rd level spells for the day, they lose their only prepared 3rd level spell slot because of the damage. If they still had both slots prepared, they would choose what one they lost.

marjan
2007-03-04, 06:12 PM
What happens if they regain their ability score later that day? Do they regain spell slot?

MeklorIlavator
2007-03-04, 06:14 PM
I would guess that they would have empty spell slots of the apropriate levels

Yuki Akuma
2007-03-04, 06:15 PM
They have the spell slot again, but if they prepare spells, there isn't a spell in it.

Sutremaine
2007-03-04, 07:44 PM
[The bard] can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time. Every bard spell has a verbal component (singing, reciting, or music). To learn or cast a spell, a bard must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level.
At certain levels a new spell level is available only if the bard has a high enough score to qualify for a bonus spell at that level. Can a level 13 bard with insufficient base CHA use a buff spell at any time to learn those two fifth-level spells, or must his score be high enough at the time he levels up? How do ability-raising items affect feats that have ability score preresquisites?

TheOOB
2007-03-04, 07:47 PM
They have the spell slot again, but if they prepare spells, there isn't a spell in it.

A spontaneous caster wouldn't be able to use the spell slot either, you would gain the spell slot back, but you wouldn't be able to use it until you regain your spells through the appropriate method of your class.

Roderick_BR
2007-03-04, 08:06 PM
I stand corrected. Good to know. I'll let my friend that is playing a wizard next game to get him some magic itens as soon as possible in the campaing.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-04, 08:15 PM
There's no such thing as an enchantment bonus.