PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Looking to create retractable/collapseable weapons and shields

lytokk
2014-08-05, 11:11 AM
So, in a game I'm getting ready to join, I had a concept for a warforged crusader character who didn't always appear to be carrying anything, but could then enter "battle mode" where the bracer on his arm would expand into the equivalent of a heavy shield. This could also be a concept that could expand to weapons as well. Since religion isn't a thing in his campaign setting, he let me swap knowledge religion for any other knowledge skill, and I've settled on architecture and engineering. We're starting at level 1, and with current ranks in craft (blacksmithing) and knowledge A&E, I should have the groundwork laid for being able to make these things. What I can't think of is relative DCs for the craft.

My goal with the post is to have a concept I can present to the DM. He's DMed before, but not in 3.5, mostly AD&D. The world is described as a MagiPunk type world, akin to say final fantasy 6, so the collapseable weapons and armors could exist. What I would need is knowledge and craft DCs if the goal is to do this without actually using magic, as well as the time it takes to arm myself. I figure a move action for the shield would work, I think thats what it is to equip a standard shield in 3.5.

I don't think these things should be able to be built by a level 1 character, but they should be able to be constructed. Just need a little help flushing out the concept before I present it.

What got me started on all this is we can all take an extra weapon proficiency starting out if it fits our character, and I was thinking a bastard sword would be nice to quickly switch from sword and board to 2-handing, depending on the situation, but I didn't want to constantly drop my shield, so keeping it attached makes sense.

iTreeby
2014-08-05, 02:08 PM
Hideaway weapon property from RotW?
Perhaps ring of arming?

Phelix-Mu
2014-08-05, 04:10 PM
Hideaway weapon property from RotW?
Perhaps ring of arming?

Ring of arming is a very cool thing. I seem to recall that it was reprinted for 3.5. Man, my D&DM archive is getting dusty these days.

I also seem to recall an item, possibly called personal portable hole, which was basically a miniature portable hole that you could affix to any surface, with the idea being that you draw the handkerchief-looking thing out of your pocket, place it against your chest, and voila, a small space big enough to hold a weapon or other hidden object.

I've recently been trying to replicate a hammerspace-type effect, which used to be more possible in 2e with the spell deeppockets, which enchanted a normal container (like a pocket) to be larger on the inside for a limited duration. Now the best way may be hoard gullet, but that's rather messy.

Finally, aren't there rules for mundane hidden compartments in Complete Scoundrel's chapter on equipment? I seem to remember something along those lines. Maybe this could be adapted for your purposes.

StoneCipher
2014-08-05, 05:15 PM
Ring of Arming would definitely be your best bet unless you wanted something more theatrical and creative.

Generally, at DM's discretion, most items that exist in the books and take up a specific slot can be altered to take up another slot. Such as making a cloak of charisma be bracers of charisma, or gloves of charisma. This creativity can possibly be further extended to tools and bags. So perhaps you can take something that has an interdimensional pocket feature say, belt of many pockets, and ask the DM if you can have something similar in a bracer form. Then you could create collapsible weapons and shields and attach them to some kind of winch system bolted to your arm that could pull them from the interdimensional space when activated. Later on down the line, maybe you could make the winches activate on command so you could have various command words equip you for various situations.

lytokk
2014-08-05, 05:15 PM
will check the complete scoundrel.

After re-reading my first post I think I was unclear about my intentions. I don't necessarily want the whole thing to be hidden, just shrunk down, where it mechanically expands to full size. It could be recognizeable as a buckler, but then expands.

Asrrin
2014-08-05, 05:38 PM
Not a weapon, but Dungeonscape has the collapsible pole that collapses from 12ft. to 2ft as a full round action.

lytokk
2014-08-06, 07:26 AM
A combination of all the above may be the best bet. The collapsible pole from Dungeonscape can provide a concept, but there's no DC for creating one, though I imagine its as simple as the fiberglass tent poles I have, though I have used some metal ones.

What would be the cheapest extradimensional storage item to base this concept off of? I know a mundane couldn't typically create any item with magic attributes to it, but its a different world where magic is basically microbots performing a specific function.

The operation of the shield would at least in this working theory, be in its unfolded state, a buckler strapped to the outside of my characters arm. On the inside of the arm though, is a small lever pointing toward the body. When the lever is moved outwards toward the hand, the shield expands into a full heavy shield, and the hand holds the lever to keep it unfolded. Releasing the lever springs it back to starting position and the shield folds back up into a buckler. Thoughts?

StoneCipher
2014-08-06, 08:24 AM
I believe Heward's Handy Haversack is the cheapest at about 2000GP. At least the cheapest I can pull from memory.

It has a couple pockets that can hold up to 2 cubic feet or 20lbs.

lytokk
2014-08-06, 08:45 AM
Yeah that's the cheapest one I could find as well. Thing is I'd only need the one pocket. Will have to look into the spell to make it. See if there's a lesser version

Oddman80
2014-08-06, 12:51 PM
Picture a nautilus's shell. If a shield were made with a single hinge point, and nested segments, it could be fanned open with a circular flick of an arm to expand the shield to its full open configuration. The closed shield would be the size of the largest single segment.

Theoretically, the reverse fanning would be possible, so long as the individual panels were made able to slide outward/expanding, once they have slid past the smaller, more confining nest... Though to actually achieve such a thing in reality sort of breaks my brain

Oddman80
2014-08-06, 12:58 PM
An alternate solution, would be to create the shield using the construction (joints, hinges) of the "Amazing Expandable Round Table"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQLCMKZWlgo

This would allow you to expand the shield to twice the size with a single quarter turn of a lever.

lytokk
2014-08-06, 01:14 PM
I don't know why I didn't consider making the shield circular. That makes the mechanics of it much simpler. My first thought was using more of a heater shield design (http://www.dagorhir.com/forums/index.php/topic,23885.0.html) (link provided for reference), but it wasn't making a ton of sense. Then I remembered a set of shields in the NWN game that resembled the kite shields on that page, but instead of being perpendicular to the arm as shown in that image, were parallel, so then I thought on that design.

The nautaloid shield design could work, as could that table you showed, and at the very least the nautaloid shield would be easier to create.

StoneCipher
2014-08-06, 01:50 PM
Oh I was under the assumption that you were using a circular shield. You could just take the mechanics of a war fan and alter them probably quite easily.

lytokk
2014-08-06, 02:03 PM
Honestly, when I think shield, I never think of something circular. The first thought that comes to my mind is always more of the heater shield design and having a shield that's more circular rarely comes to me. But in this case, it could work out quite well.

Though, honestly on the nautiloid shield that fans out, it could be of any shape depending on the cut of the individual sections.

Vorandril
2014-08-06, 02:17 PM
For rules purposes I would base it off of a spell the Assassins get which allows them to transform a weapon into a tattoo. Just figure out what the costs and DC would be to make it as a magic item by command word. Then instead of using craft magic arms and armor (Since it's not magical necessarily) you just craft it as normal and allow a synergy bonus from your Knowledge skill.

Make the sword be like the sword in Pacific Rim.

Shield Could actually be the forearm as well. Like the entire part of the arm unfolds. Since your hand is technically occupied while using any shield but a buckler, you simply describe it as the hand also becoming part of it. Then it's all a matter of how you describe the "unfolding" for whatever you want the shape to be.

Gildedragon
2014-08-06, 04:07 PM
There are modular weapons from dragon magazine
The disguised weapon property might be good for emulating this transformation too

Vorandril
2014-08-07, 04:23 AM
Isn't the Glamor enchantment for armor only, not shields or weapons?

lytokk
2014-08-07, 06:53 AM
Disguised weapon, at least the one I found, is in the homebrew section on one of the D&D wiki sites, but 1500gp seems fair.

Glamored as far as I can tell is yes, armor only. But with everything else mentioned, I have options at least on how to present this to the DM. Of course knowing him, he may decide that if I want it, I get it. The trick is pricing.