PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Rammus, the Armordillo [LOL to Pathfinder conversion] Updated*

AustontheGreat1
2014-08-05, 11:24 AM
http://th06.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2010/085/d/0/rolling_with_rammus_by_jouste.jpg
Rolling with Rammus by Jouste (http://jouste.deviantart.com/) on DA

For anyone interested and unfamiliar with Rammus you can find a brief description of him HERE (http://gameinfo.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/rammus/#champion-lore)

Rammus, the Armordillo CR 18
Primordial Resilient Spined Armadillo Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 12
NG Medium Monstrous Humanoid
Initiative: +3 Senses: Scent, Darkvision 60ft, Perception +18

DEFENSE
AC: 21 (+8 Natural Armor, +3 Dexterity) Flat-Footed: 18 Touch: 13 (AC: 19, FF: 16, T: 11 when raging)
HP: 215 (2d10+18 + 12d12+108), when raging 257 (2d10+24 + 12d12+144)
Damage Reduction: 10/- (+2 vs. non-lethal). Energy Resistance: 10
Fort: +30 (+33 when raging) Ref: +19 (+22 when raging) Will: +17 (+23 when raging)

OFFENSE
Speed: 50ft (10 squares)
Melee: Bite +18 (1d4 + 4 plus 1d4)(plus 2d6 when charging), 2 Claws +16 (1d6 + 2 plus 1d4)
OR when raging Gore +21 (1d10 + 7 plus 1d4)(plus 2d6 when charging), 2 Claws +19 (1d6 + 3 plus 1d4)
Special Attacks: Spines and Barbs

STATISTICS
STR: 19 (25 when raging) DEX: 16 CON: 29 (35 when raging) INT: 8 WIS: 12 CHA: 10
BAB: +14 CMB: +18 (+21 when raging) (+4 on overrun) CMD: 31 (34 when raging) (+2 vs overrun)
Feats: Multiattack, Alertness, Improved Natural Attack (Gore), Improved Natural Attack (Claw), Power Attack, Power Charge, Improved Overrun, Greater Overrun, Barreling Overrun, Charge Through
Class Features: Fast Movement, Rage, Invulnerability, Extreme Endurance, Greater Rage
Rage Powers: Lesser Fiend Totem, Overbearing Advance, Fiend Totem, Ground Breaker, Greater Ground Breaker, Come and Get Me
Skills: +20 Acrobatics, +18 Perception, +18 Survival
Languages: Speaks none (Understands common)
Special Qualities: Resilient, Spined Defense, Pain

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Extreme Endurance (Ex): Rammus is inured to hot climate effects as if using endure elements.

Invulnerability (Ex): Rammus gains DR/— equal to half his barbarian level. This damage reduction is doubled against nonlethal damage.

Pain (Ex): Whenever a creature takes damage from Rammus’ spikes and barbs attack, or his spined defense, that creature must make successful Reflex save (DC 20) or a spine breaks off in its flesh, causing the target to become sickened until the quill is removed. Removing one barb requires a successful Heal check (DC 27) made as a full-round action. For every 5 by which the check is exceeded, one additional barb can be removed. On a failed check, a quill is still removed, but the process deals 1d4+1 points of damage to the victim.

Rage (Ex): Rammus can enter a rage as a free action for 35 rounds per day. The total number of rounds of rage per day is renewed after resting for 8 hours, although these hours do not need to be consecutive.

While in rage, Rammus gains a +6 morale bonus to his Strength and Constitution, as well as a +3 morale bonus on Will saves. In addition, he takes a –2 penalty to Armor Class. The increase to Constitution grants Rammus 42 hit points, but these disappear when the rage ends and are not lost first like temporary hit points. While in rage, Rammus cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration.

Rammus can end his rage as a free action and is fatigued after rage for a number of rounds equal to 2 times the number of rounds spent in the rage. Rammus cannot enter a new rage while fatigued or exhausted but can otherwise enter rage multiple times during a single encounter or combat. If a barbarian falls unconscious, his rage immediately ends, placing him in peril of death.

Rage Powers (Ex): Rammus gains the benefits of rage powers only while raging:
Come and Get Me (Ex): While raging, as a free action Rammus may leave himself open to attack while preparing devastating counterattacks. Enemies gain a +4 bonus on attack and damage rolls against Rammus until the beginning of Rammus’ next turn, but every attack against Rammus provokes an attack of opportunity from him, which is resolved prior to resolving each enemy attack.
Fiend Totem (Su): While raging, Rammus sprouts dozens more wicked barbs from his body. Anyone striking Rammus with a melee weapon, an unarmed strike, or a natural weapon takes 1d6 points of piercing damage.
Lesser Fiend Totem (Su): While raging, Rammus gains use of the large spike on his head, gaining a gore attack. This attack is a primary attack (unless she is also attacking with weapons, in which case it is a secondary attack) and is made at the Rammus’ full base attack bonus (–2 if it is a secondary attack). The gore attack deals 1d8 points of piercing damage plus Rammus’ Strength modifier (1/2 if it is a secondary attack).
Greater Ground Breaker (Ex): When using the ground breaker rage power, Rammus can extend the radius of the effect by 5 feet.
Ground Breaker (Ex): Once per rage, Rammus can attack the floor around himself as a standard action. This attack automatically hits and deals damage normally. If Rammus manages to deal more damage than the floor’s hardness, the space she occupies and all of the squares adjacent to him become difficult terrain. Creatures in these squares, except Rammus, must make a DC 15 Reflex save or be knocked prone.
Overbearing Advance (Ex): While raging, Rammus inflicts 7 damage whenever he succeeds at an overrun combat maneuver.

Resilient (Ex): Rammus gains a circumstance bonus to all saving throws equal to his Constitution modifier and he ignores all partial affects upon a successful saving throw.

Spikes and Barbs (Ex): When making melee attacks, Rammus deals an additional 1d4 points of piercing damage and the victim suffers from Rammus’ pain attack. He also deals this same damage and effect when making a successful grapple check and one each when a creature attempts to grapple him.

Spined Defense (Ex): Any creature that strikes a Rammus with a non-reach melee weapon, touch attack, unarmed strike, or natural weapon takes 1d4+1 points of piercing damage from the Rammus’ barbs and suffers from the Rammus’ pain attack.

-0-

I'm going to explain some things in detail, just in case anyone isn't familiar with Rammus and his capabilities.

Expanded on and varied slightly from this Thread (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2o6s4?Quickconverting-the-League-of-Legends-Champions) about "quick converting" many, if not all of, the League of Legends champions. I didn't have the Alluria Remarkable Races: Anumus book to use so couldn't use the Anumus (Turtle) and decided that using a lizardfolk as the base would work just as well. This worked out because it granted him two claw attacks, which are his main method of attacks anyway. I used templates that I felt were appropriate for Rammus from the 101 Not so simple Monster Templates. Primordial creatures is described as creatures "filled with the power of the wild and untamed forces of the world." As an ordinary armadillo warped by the wild chaotic magic of a war torn wasteland, this seemed to fit. Rammus' defining traits are his incredible durability and his painful spiked shell which harms anyone who tries to attack him. So I added the Resilient and Spined templates, also found in 101 Not so simple Monster Templates. The original thread also suggested the Splintering template, but I left it out because it honestly didn't fit well, rammus

Rammus isn't exactly known for raging, but the high hit dice and increased combat ability seemed to work best as Rammus' primary role is that of a tank and melee fighter. Additionally, it also seemed the best for recreating Rammus' abilities. The invulnerable rager archetype was suggested in the original quick conversion thread and the Damage Reduction helped make Rammus tougher so I went with it.

In the game, Rammus' special abilities are Spiked Shell, Powerball, Defensive Ball Curl, Puncturing Taunt, and Tremors.

Spiked Shell is a passive ability that converts 25% of Armor into damage. Spikes and Barbs from the spined template works well enough for this.

When using Powerball, Rammus curls into a ball and rolls forward at an increased speed and deals damage to anyone he collides with. The speed boost is represented well enough by the increased speed from the Primordial template and Barbarian and enhanced damage from Powerful Charge. This means that Rammus moves with surprising speed for a squat, turtle-like creature and punches just a little harder on a charge. Many of his feats and Rage powers enhance his overrun maneuver. Rammus has the ability to try to overrun one opponent when charging and deals a good bit of damage to the target. On an overrun, Rammus can barrel through any number of opponents, knockng them to the ground and provoking attacks from his allies. If he's raging, he deals even more damage.

Defensive Ball Curl is his primary defensive ability. Rammus curls into his shell, forcing anyone attacking him to take damage from his spiked shells. The spined ability from the spined template and the Fiend Totem rage power from barbarian represent this quite well. When Rammus is raging, anyone who attacks him in melee takes 1d6+1d4+1 damage plus a chance to become sickened and take more damage from the spines breaking off in them.

The best ability I could find to represent Rammus' puncturing taunt, and the one suggested in the original quick conversion thread is the Come and Get Me rage power.

Rammus' ultimate ability is Tremors. Somehow the magical forces that warped him gave him the ability to create pulsing seismic waves out from himself. In this build, Rammus accomplishes this through the ground breaker rage power.

And that's pretty much it. I'm not sure how to calculate the CR. The totaled CR for the templates and lizardfolk is 6 but I didn't know how to calculate CR for class levels. Any help with that would be appreciated.

Sources
Primordial, Resilient, Spined templates - 101 Not so simple Monster Templates.
Invulnerable Rager barbarian archetype, Overbearing Advance, Come and Get Me, Fiend Totem, Ground Breaker rage powers, Charge Through feat - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Player's Guide
Greater Ground Breaker feat - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Ultimate Combat
Barreling Overrun feat - Advanced Feats: The Cavalier's Creed
Power Charge - Pathfinder Fans United: Wayfinder #1

Thank you in advance for any feedback. I hope there are some League fans on the site that will appreciate at least what I was trying to do. If enough people are interested, I might continue with this and do some other characters I like.

Changes

HP and Melee changed based on Debihumans corrections.

Hanuman
2014-08-05, 03:13 PM
It's fine, just don't use official artwork and add a credit link to the fan artist.

AustontheGreat1
2014-08-05, 03:44 PM
It's fine, just don't use official artwork and add a credit link to the fan artist.

Okay, thank you.

Debihuman
2014-08-06, 10:10 PM
Wow. This makes me wish I were better at the Pathfinder rules. Great job on this.

Isn't he a sentient armadillo and not a lizardfolk? Just use the same basic stats of the lizardfolk and reskin it as a sentient armadillo.

He has CR 1 from racial HD; plus CR 12 from barbarian levels, Primoridial adds +1 to CR; Resilient adds +2 to CR, [Note He gains DR 10/- and Invulnerable Rager gives DR 12/non-lethal only. Damage Reduction does not stack], and Spined adds CR 2 for a grand total of CR 18.

Thank you [and I cannot express this enough] for citing to the books AND putting up such a detailed note section. This makes critiquing so much easier!

Debby

AustontheGreat1
2014-08-07, 12:03 PM
Thank you for giving your advice! I'll update the CR.

I noted under DR that he had DR 10/- (12/- vs. Nonlethal.) I didn't think that they stacked, but I'm pretty sure that they overlap. For instance, if you get hit with a +1 long sword, it will penetrate any DR/magic you might have but not necessarily any DR/Evil might you have. So, against most attacks he has DR 10/-, but his DR 12/- vs. nonlethal (and only his DR 12/- vs. nonlethal) applies against attacks that deal nonlethal. Am I wrong?

It is true he is a sentient armadillo (though warped into a reptilian creature by chaos magic.) I plan on fixing the details on him now that the raw crunch is finished (I believe, anyway.)

I plan on moving on to other Champs and maybe some items. Hopefully, if anyone liked this, some people will want to to some of their favorite champs.
I think I'll do Alistar, the Minotaur next.

Guard
2014-08-07, 01:29 PM
Silly as it sounds, that's not actually how damage reduction works. If you would have multiple types of damage reduction, you get the one that's "better". Take that as you will.

Debihuman
2014-08-07, 03:18 PM
For non-lethal attacks he ignores 12 points of damage and for all other attacks he ignores 10 points of damage BECAUSE the Invulnerable Rager's Invulnerability Special Ability states "This damage reduction is doubled against nonlethal damage." It should be noted separately.

This is why you have to pay very close attention to what the text says to do. He has DR 10/-- (12 vs. nonlethal)

Debby

AustontheGreat1
2014-08-07, 08:01 PM
Creature type changed to Monstrous Humanoid and removed the swim speed. And Tried to clarify the Damage Reduction, but I think I'm an idiot and it's still wrong.

Unless I'm still messing something up, I believe he's finished.

Hanuman
2014-08-07, 08:26 PM
If it's LoL then he could have a special ability to absorb up to 6 items into himself as if they were wild armor and he was wildshaping?

Debihuman
2014-08-07, 11:36 PM
You really wrote the attack damage backwards. Bite damage is 1d4+4 plus 1d4. Use "plus" not "+" to differentiate between the two. Spikes and Barbs only add 1d4 points of damage so you applied the strength bonus to the wrong numbers. You should state that its claws are secondary weapons somewhere.

Melee: Bite +17 (1d4+4 plus 1d4), when raging Bite +20 (1d4+7 plus 1d4) (+2d6 when charging),
2 Claws +15 (1d6+2 plus 1d4), when raging 2 claw +18 (1d6+3 plus 1d4)

Raging Gore technically belongs in Special Attack line.

It's hit points are wrong. It has 213 hit points normally. Also break down HD and bonus hit points. Con 29 is +9 so racial hp is 2d8 +18 and barbarian hp is 12d12+108 = 213 HP. Here is the math: 2x4.5 (9) plus 2x9 (18) = 27 racial hit points plus barbarian hp 12d12+108 [12x6.5 = 78] plus [9x12 bonus hp = 108.) 78 +108 = 186. 33+186 = 213.

When raging Con is 35 so +12. 2d8+24 plus 12d12+144 (9+24=33) (78+144=222) 33 +222

Debby

HP 213 (2d8+18 + 12d12+108), when raging 255 (2d8+24 + 12d12+144)

In a lot of ways I hate the Pathfinder stat block. It's harder to critique than the 3.5 stat block in the SRD since related things aren't necessarily on the same lines.

Debby

AustontheGreat1
2014-08-08, 08:31 PM
You really wrote the attack damage backwards. Bite damage is 1d4+4 plus 1d4. Use "plus" not "+" to differentiate between the two. Spikes and Barbs only add 1d4 points of damage so you applied the strength bonus to the wrong numbers. You should state that its claws are secondary weapons somewhere.

Melee: Bite +17 (1d4+4 plus 1d4), when raging Bite +20 (1d4+7 plus 1d4) (+2d6 when charging),
2 Claws +15 (1d6+2 plus 1d4), when raging 2 claw +18 (1d6+3 plus 1d4)

Raging Gore technically belongs in Special Attack line.

It's hit points are wrong. It has 213 hit points normally. Also break down HD and bonus hit points. Con 29 is +9 so racial hp is 2d8 +18 and barbarian hp is 12d12+108 = 213 HP. Here is the math: 2x4.5 (9) plus 2x9 (18) = 27 racial hit points plus barbarian hp 12d12+108 [12x6.5 = 78] plus [9x12 bonus hp = 108.) 78 +108 = 186. 33+186 = 213.

When raging Con is 35 so +12. 2d8+24 plus 12d12+144 (9+24=33) (78+144=222) 33 +222

HP 213 (2d8+18 + 12d12+108), when raging 255 (2d8+24 + 12d12+144)

In a lot of ways I hate the Pathfinder stat block. It's harder to critique than the 3.5 stat block in the SRD since related things aren't necessarily on the same lines.

Debby

Thank you again fro the advice I've changed the melee and HP based on your directions and tried to make it a bit clearer. Let me know If I'm still screwing something up.

Debihuman
2014-08-09, 03:25 AM
I think Damage Reduction should be spelled out better. This is perhaps the clearest way to designate it:
DR 10/- (+2 vs. non-lethal).

Cheers!
Debby

AustontheGreat1
2014-08-09, 07:52 PM
I think Damage Reduction should be spelled out better. This is perhaps the clearest way to designate it:
DR 10/- (+2 vs. non-lethal).

Cheers!
Debby

Sounds good. I'll do that.

I also adjusted his Base saves, HP, BAB, and skills to account for his changed type.

TechnOkami
2014-08-09, 08:02 PM
I don't know how much this means to you, but mechanically and according to his lore Rammus doesn't use anger or rage based abilities whatsoever. That belong solely to Tryndamere, Renekton, and Shyvana.

AustontheGreat1
2014-08-09, 08:39 PM
I don't know how much this means to you, but mechanically and according to his lore Rammus doesn't use anger or rage based abilities whatsoever. That belong solely to Tryndamere, Renekton, and Shyvana.

Honestly, I agree with you. The idea of this creation was to attempt to create Rammus without building him as a custom monster and creating abilities from the ground up. If there is an effective way to recreate him and his abilities, other than using barbarian, I'd love to hear them.

TechnOkami
2014-08-09, 09:08 PM
Honestly, I agree with you. The idea of this creation was to attempt to create Rammus without building him as a custom monster and creating abilities from the ground up. If there is an effective way to recreate him and his abilities, other than using barbarian, I'd love to hear them.

You could make his abilities Tome of Battle maneuvers.

AustontheGreat1
2014-08-10, 12:52 AM
You could make his abilities Tome of Battle maneuvers.

I'd prefer to stick to Pathfinder or at least Pathfinder compatible 3rd party supplements.

Hanuman
2014-08-12, 08:04 AM
All 3.5 is "pathfinder compatible", that's the whole point.

Kayle's Righteous Fury, Lee Sin's Dragon Rage and Olaf's Berserker Rage could be considered rage flavored.

AustontheGreat1
2014-08-16, 12:24 AM
All 3.5 is "pathfinder compatible", that's the whole point.

You're right. What I guess I mean is that I'd prefer to stick to published material created specifically for pathfinder. Does that make sense?

Debihuman
2014-08-16, 02:52 AM
It's fine if you just want to keep to Pathfinder material.

More importantly, no matter how good a homebrew is, it's never going to match a video game. The rules for the video game will never match the tabletop rules. What you get is an approximation of the abilities. Just because Rammus doesn't have "Rage" powers in the video game doesn't mean that's not what they effectively are. Landing a killing blow doesn't have a name either but most video games call it something. That doesn't make it necessary to the tabletop game and matters less to people like me who have never played the video game. At some point you stop picking nits and decide it's just good enough.

That said, does the build do what the creature can do in the video game? If it is close enough, then that's all that's really needed.

Debby

AustontheGreat1
2014-08-17, 06:09 AM
It's fine if you just want to keep to Pathfinder material.

More importantly, no matter how good a homebrew is, it's never going to match a video game. The rules for the video game will never match the tabletop rules. What you get is an approximation of the abilities. Just because Rammus doesn't have "Rage" powers in the video game doesn't mean that's not what they effectively are. Landing a killing blow doesn't have a name either but most video games call it something. That doesn't make it necessary to the tabletop game and matters less to people like me who have never played the video game. At some point you stop picking nits and decide it's just good enough.

That said, does the build do what the creature can do in the video game? If it is close enough, then that's all that's really needed.

Debby

Thank you. You said it perfectly.