PDA

View Full Version : Carrion Crown, Book 1, GM: Taloswind

Taloswind
2014-08-05, 12:52 PM
In the midst of your travels an lone courier approaches you by horse back, wearing a dark brown cloak, and a simple wooden crossbow at her side. Keeping her cloak up she dismounts and approaches you with a sense of urgency.

"Your a hard one to track down..." the soft voice says, as she fumbles in her side pouch. A smile crosses her lips as she finds what she was looking for, a leather satchel bound with leather cord and a wax seal.

The courier takes your mark, but knows little information on the package it self. Bidding you farewell she leaves you.

Inside the satchel is a few coins in a leather purse, and simple ink map with the word "Ustulav" in bold print near the top. Also a Letter printed on fine parchment, neatly folded and once again sealed with wax.

Examining the seal there is a certain familiarity about it. The parchment it self is stained like it had been wet then dried.

----------------------------------------

Dear ________

I write to you now from my home in Revengro, with the saddest of news. My father Petros Lorrimor has suddenly passed into Iomedae's care.

I am sorry to say I know little of your acquaintance with my Father. I am under explicit instruction to ensure you you to attend his funeral, and reading of his will. Enclosed are directions and proper funds to see you to Ustalav.

The funeral will be held in a fortnights time in Ravengro's Restlands on the 24th of Rova.

-Kendra Lorrimor

--------------------------------------------------

The script is very clear, and written as if by an expert scribe. although the line of Petros's death you notice a slight faultier, as if the writer had a hard time putting the words to parchment.

The 24th of Rova will cut things close, if you leave tomorrow, you may make it on time...

http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Calendar

AngryCyc
2014-08-05, 01:52 PM
Kieyanna is relatively struck by the news. She was not exceedingly close to the professor, and often did not understand the more academic side of his endeavors. But she respected the man greatly. His work and his efforts, in the grand scheme of things, were to help others. For that, no higher respect could be afforded.

"Of course... I-... Of course." She did not quite have the words yet. But she knew she must hurry, so she immediately began setting things in order to arrive in time to usher the professor off the mortal coil.

She wasted no time and within the hour, was already on the road heading towards Ustalav.

raspberrybadger
2014-08-05, 02:34 PM
Hseme's first reaction is one of relief. To be sure, he liked the man, but having a promise hanging over him has been weighing on him. The dead must be respected, but now he will not be caught with this professor as a patron and master.

So, with all due haste, he informs his caravan that he will not be renewing his contract as a guard, and takes passage on a series of rafts and boats to Ravengro. He's never been to Ustulav before, and from what he can see from the rivers, he's not sure he likes it. However, a warrior's journey which only takes one to pleasant places does not result in greatness - with this he comforts himself. The journey as a whole seems to flash by like the land seen from a boat.

Moranica
2014-08-05, 03:57 PM
Kilem slowly moves through the undergrowth of the forest, as he ponders on the letter that reached him

A former employer's kid wants me at a funeral. Such strange tidings, but then again we travelled for quite a bit. And he did always reward handsomely. I guess I'll visit.

"I'm sorry, sir Paywell, but it seems Angradd has chosen another path for me. I will have to cancel our agreement and stop being your guide from the next town onwards. Will see you there safely, of course. No payment will be required."

Then he picks up the pace, planning to reach the town by nightfall.

Taloswind
2014-08-08, 01:26 AM
One by one you travel through the lands of Ustalav to the small town of Ravengro. The scenery is marked with dead twisted trees and jagged mountains, even the grass has a darker bluish tint to it. The marsh like terrain seems to be a haven for the low fog that sets in in the early evenings and stays till mid morning. Despite the haunted like appearance of the land there is a magical, serene like air to it, and one could see the appeal to the landscape should they try hard enough.

Ravengro it self is a small town off the well travelled roads of the country. Land marks, as few as there are; What appears to be a large ruin on the far end of town, a few miles from the closest of buildings. Several Large buildings are situated around the town, as if marking the nobles who were commissioned this land.

The town is split in the middle by a small river that spurs from the lake nearby, united only by two covered bridges at either end. Its entrance apace with a large walled graveyard that is spotted with stone tombs and grave makers. Surrounded by farmers fields the town square is naught but a dozen or so buildings each architecturally different from the other. The roofs adore turrets, and steep slopes of an almost Victorian build. The greying shingles add a gloomy feel to the already tired looking town.

The Square appears that of a ghost town as you arrive, surrounded by buildings that each have pictorial signs as if to give away their purpose. Smaller script is written under each for those educated enough to read.

A large flocks of crows perch themselves nearby, as if sentries to your approach. Your only greeting is the dull eyes of a near blind dog the sits under the Gazebo's Roof. Your Driver is all but too quick to unpack your luggage before circling the gazebo and headed off.

Silence breaks as you hear the sounds of another wagon, followed by another as one by one each of you arrive. The dog, half looks up at each wagon with an uninterested gaze before resting its large head on its paws.

As the last of you arrive, as if on cue, the crows caw, in unison as if welcoming you before flying off, to perhaps more hospitable perches.

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/53773/Ravengro.jpg

A. Gazebo,
B. Posting Pole
C. The laughing Demon Tavern.
D. Ravengro Town Hall
E. Temple of Pharasma
F. Ravengro General Store
G. Ravengro Forge
H. Jominda's Apothecary
I. Ravengro Jail
J. The Silk Purse
K. The Outward Inn
L. The Unfurling Scroll
M. The large noble houses.

Taloswind
2014-08-08, 02:11 AM
A few minutes after you arrive...

A short stocky man followed by a small boy exits the Laughing Demon, seemingly unaware of your arrival, he busily starts locking up the tavern door. The man has light brown hair, a wide face and moustache. He is dressed in what you can only assume to be his finest of clothing, a simple black jacket, and semi stained trousers, over what appears to be a white or yellow tunic.

His boy, carries similar features, and must be close to the age of twelve. His hair is fairer then his fathers, and adorns a black vest, over a white tunic, and a grey cap.

The boy notices you first, and is quick to tug on his fathers coat.

"Yes I know we are running late, but she wouldn't dream of starting without us... " The man starts as he finally notices you. "Common then, we best say hello. Kendra said out of town-ers might show up."

The boy nods, but positions himself slightly behind his father, who is starting to make his approach.

"Zokar, Elkarid. At your service..." he says with a half grin before he arrives. you can tell now his shirt was originally white, but appears to have been stained with sweat and food. "You must be be here for the funeral. No other reason someone would come to Ravengro." he says in jest as if attempting to put feelers out against the parties personalities.

Another tug on his coat.

Zokar looks over his shoulder past the Tavern then back at you. "Right, Listen would love to chat, but I'm late, and so are you. Funeral is over at The Restlands. Follow me if you like."

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/images/690222/Zokar.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/288/9/b/pathfinder__pevrin_elkarid_by_redscriptus-d5hvz2r.jpg

raspberrybadger
2014-08-08, 03:59 AM
To show respect and look proper for the funeral, Hseme changes out of his armour and dons his silken ceremonial armour. The crows and the fog together have Hseme on edge, but he disciplines himself not to show it.

Setting about to find the Restlands but not finding it yet, he is somewhat glad this servant's boy has found him, and he gives a very fractional bow acknowledging Zokar when he speaks, and when he mentions coming to Ravengro, Hseme replies "Yes, I am here to pay respect to the Professor. I have not been to this town before. Surely the Professor has brought it much honour."

Knowing that he does not know local customs, Hseme moves to follow the man, hoping the man will at the very least show the way to avoid shame for lateness.

AngryCyc
2014-08-08, 08:15 AM
Kieyanna greets the man and the others who have arrived with a warm smile. "Greetings. I am Kieyanna Trufol, an exorcist of Sarenrae's. You may call me Anna if you wish for short. I will be glad to follow you to the funeral, thank you for the assistance! she says, maintaining the warm smile. She quickly follows after the two leading the way.

AquilaRift
2014-08-08, 04:26 PM
"Beth Weaver," Beth says, with a fractional nod. She is dressed, as always, in faded black clothing, though she's washed her face and made a visible effort to neaten her hair beforehand. "Better hurry, then." She looks at her new companions with raised eyebrows, curiosity clearly piqued by the reptilian giant in particular, but says nothing further before setting out after Zokar.

Taloswind
2014-08-09, 02:58 AM
The Restlands, lay a five minute walk from town, but at Zokar's pace you make it there in three. "We are almost there, Pevrin, run ahead and tell Kendra we will be there shortly."

The Graveyard is backed behind the Temple of Pharisma, its dark appearance only adding to the strange backdrop of Ravengro. There appears to be multiple entrances to the Restlands, Each sealed with an Iron gate. Zokar leads you past the two that straddling the dark towers of the Temple towards what appears to be the main entrance.

Unlike the two side entrances, The double iron gate stretches four feet above the already eight foot stone wall. Behind them is a handful of people and a black wagon which you can only assume to be the vessel carrying the Professor's remains.

The group consists of;
Two men dressed in fine clothing and shined boots, one heavy set with greased back hair, while the other has gaunt features and has grey hair. An older woman, with wild long hair, tied back with a simple black ribbon and simple dress. And someone who you can only assume to be Kendra Lorrimor. She shares many features of your old friend, and while young she looks as if she has had to grow up quickly. Kendra appears to be in her mid twenties, and even while her eyes are red and puffy from morning you can see that she is quite a good looking woman.

"Look who I found" Zokar says with a slight smile indicating towards you, but noticing the lack of amusement he tilts his head and says. "Sorry was running a bit late... customers..."

"Non-sense, Thank you for coming." she says kindly trying to defuse the stern gazes from the two well dressed men. "Thank all of you." she says addressing the small crowd, though she pauses for a few moments longer as if to express that the comment was directed towards you.

"Before we go to meet Father Grimbarrow at the site, I wish to ask if anyone here would like to serve as pallbearers to my father."

The coffin is simple blackened oak with iron Handles on either side. Guessing by its size and weight it would take at least 4 people to carry it properly with room enough for six.

Zokar looks sullen at this comment as if remembering why everyone is here. Placing a hand on his son's shoulder he speaks first "Aye, the professor was a good friend to me and my family, it would be an honour."

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/101271/The_Restlands.jpg

You are at the South Western entrance.

AngryCyc
2014-08-09, 08:52 AM
Kieyanna waits a bit for others to volunteer, but after a bit of an awkward silence, she pipes "Surely there are more friends, if not family, who would wish to aid in this final favor? ...associates or..? No? Well that's... rather odd... I- I can do it. It will be a nice gesture to a man whom I respected very much, if not whom I knew terribly well. Though I do not wish to take this honor if there are others closer to him who would have earned it!"

Smileybastard
2014-08-09, 10:43 AM
Aganis

Aganis walks quickly up to the group. He is out of breath. His clothes are duty. "I am so sorry that I am late. I rushed as far as I could. I would be honored to help in anyway I can. The professor changed my life."

With that he bows and makes a gesture to brush the dust from his clothes.

raspberrybadger
2014-08-09, 03:20 PM
Hseme is obviously supposed to volunteer. Everyone says it is an honour, but that is clearly just the first step. Hopefully he can follow along. There's clearly some awkwardness here as it is, so he hopes any mistakes get covered up in the confusion.

So, he too volunteers, saying "I owe the professor. I would be honoured to help."

Moranica
2014-08-09, 03:35 PM
Finally the heavy browed dwarf speaks.

"My condoleances, dear lady. It is a strange request indeed, to ask a man who has known only for months in his life, to help carry his coffin. This is of course, the second strange request. Perhaps you could enlighten me as to why my presence is required. Not to be rude of course, but you father was a wise man, and surely he's had his reasons. I just want to know them.", Kilem says it with a friendly smile, which is genuine.[/COLOR]

AquilaRift
2014-08-09, 05:11 PM
Seeing that everyone else has volunteered, Beth speaks up, looking uncomfortable. "I'll help. If you need me."

Taloswind
2014-08-10, 01:08 AM
Kendra is quick to address your concern. "Master Kilem. All I truly know is my father requested you here for the reading of his will. It was through his written instruction I wrote you after his passing. I am sure all will be revealed at the reading." She says as she makes her way to the front of the group, careful to lift her dress over the muddied path.

"Thank you for granting my father this last honour." she says to the pallbearers.

"As per our custom, Kendra the closest living relative to the deceased shall lead us to the burial site." The large well dressed man says.

"Thank you, Councilman Hearthmount." Kendra replies as she starts to lead the way to the northern path.

The path it self is more of a muddy trail admits the graves and tombs. Your boots feel heavy as the earth grips to them. Halfway to the site, as you turn the bend around a large crypt, Kendra stops suddenly. Following her reveals a group of a dozen or so surly looking locals.

The rabble of men carry various tools of their trade, mostly pitch forks, and shovels. The tallest of these holds him self like a soldier and though unarmed, he has a Lantern in one hand. “That’s far enough. We been talking, and we don’t want Lorrimor buried in the Restlands. You can take him upriver and bury him there if you want, but he ain’t goin’ in the ground here!” He barks, sending spit loose like projectiles as he yells.

The locals in your party seem disturbed by this and Zokar eyes spark with fury.

Kendra is swift to respond, her sadness swiftly transforming into anger. “What are you talking about?” she cries out. “I arranged it with Father Grimburrow. He’s waiting for us! The grave’s already been...” she stars but seems lost for words.

Moranica
2014-08-10, 02:21 AM
From behind the coffincarriers Kilem steps forward.

Angrily, he mutters. "What is this nonsense.", And on a louder tone. "Why would you not want this man to have a proper last resting place. And put away those 'weapons, it looks silly. There is no vengeance to be gained from the dead. And trust me, I have tried."

raspberrybadger
2014-08-10, 03:07 AM
Hseme considers speaking harshly to these lowborn trash who show no sign of respect for the dead, but he decides to wait. He is out of place here, and it may be better to let them collapse under their own cowardice. Instead, he whispers to those near him "Do they mean violence here? If it comes to that, let us set this coffin down all at once, so as not to disturb the dead, and then they shall regret this."

AngryCyc
2014-08-10, 06:20 AM
"Excuse me?!" Kieyanna says, not to the crowd, but to her fellow pallbearers. "How in the world would invoking more violence and suffering between fellow intelligent beings in any way whatsoever honor the memory of this man who, from what I have seen of him, strived to leave the world a much better place than he found it??"

Turning then to the crowd, she addresses them too: "Folks, I know I'm not from these parts and having a foreigner come in to your lands and try to tell you what's what can be a bit much to temper with. But I also know that the Professor here WAS one of you, loved this little land of his, and as such, has every right for the proper burial he deserves. If there's any argument about that, and I'm sure you all wouldn't be here now if there WASN'T a good reason, then there are better time and places for addressing those problems. In the middle of the funeral procession is probably the single worst time to try to fix that, though! If you have legitimate claim for him to not be buried, please take it to proper authorities and let it be done by the book. Maybe this Father Grimburrow can be convinced. And if that's the case and the professor should not be buried there, he can always be transplanted and moved to a different plot.

However, what I see before me is merely anger begetting violence, and frankly there is no need for it. All you will do is spread more hatred and hurt in this already broken world. For the love of the gods people, look what you're doing to this women who just lost her only father! Now. Lets have no more talk if violence, shall we, from EITHER side..." she again cuts a look towards those near her so quick to inflict harm.

"We are going to keep moving our way through. I hope that you are all reasonable enough to not force violence into a situation that does not require it. If. If you feel the need to attack us for trying to lay a dead man to rest, know that I will not strike back. For this is neither the time nor the place for hatred, but for mourning and sorrow."

She ushers the others to keep moving, slowly and calmly, towards the mob, hoping that she has placated the crowd with her words of reason and her nonviolent demeanor.

diplomacy [roll0]

And maybe some Aid Another's from the rest of you..?

Smileybastard
2014-08-10, 11:28 AM
Aganis

Aganis goes to speak but the other speak first. He adds in his two cents after they are done.

"Professor Lorrimor spent his life protecting the people of this land and yet you judge him harshly Why?."

Diplomacy [roll0] to aid.

Taloswind
2014-08-10, 06:09 PM
“You don’t get it. We won’t have a necromancer buried in the same place as our kin!" The tall man retorts to Kelim. The crowd unites behind this statement, and Kieyanna's words seem to be lost as the group starts advancing shouting words of agreement.

"Yea Gibs is Right! Lets take that coffin and burn it at the memorial" one man cries.

Zokar looses his hold on the coffin as he steps back from the advancing men to protect his son. As the weight shifts the coffin becomes more awkward to hold.

Councilman Hearthmount cries out in fear as he eyes the farming tools, clearly unprepared for a fight.

Meanwhile the other well dressed man seems to advance to a side with his hands raised as if trying to coax one or two combatants out of the fight.

Cries from the crowd muffle the air, as the locals seem to insult the professor's character and that of his associates. "Friend of monsters and demons indeed! Who else would have a lizard man carry his coffin!"

Of the twelve, six individuals approach the coffin raising their tools menacingly. The others shout words of encouragement or try and badger and attack the other members of the funeral party.

The tall man, Gibs, stands back from the fight, grinning widely as Hearthmouth flees the graveyard.

Kendra seems willing to hold her ground, fuelled primarily by rage. “Necromancy!? Are you really that ignorant?”

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u87exw6qu0cy1ga/Battle-Map.jpg

Gibbs is highlighted in red, while Kendra stands a few feet in front of the coffin.
Lowering the coffin takes a full round action, but some may try and leave the burden to their allies dropping it right away.

Please roll Initiative.

Grid should read A,A. Red before grey

Smileybastard
2014-08-10, 06:24 PM
Aganis

Aganis begins to struggle to lower the coffin as his eyes scan the group approaching them. "Professor Lorrimor was no necromancer. Far from it, he was the light that struggled to hold back the light. I am a humble servant of Iomedae and the only way you will burn this coffin is though by dead body. Iomedae will not stand for it."

Diplomacy [roll0]
Sense Motive [roll1]
As soon as he is able, he will move in front of Kendra

raspberrybadger
2014-08-10, 09:19 PM
As far as Hseme is concerned, these trash have earned a beating. They have threatened to leave an honourable man unburied, to burn his corpse, and to attack. They have rejected peaceful words that go far beyond what was required. He begins to set the coffin down.

Initiative [roll0]
Full round action to set the coffin down. He's not just going to drop the thing. Also, he may well be strong enough to manage to set it down respectfully if even one other person does as well. I don't know how heavy it is.

AquilaRift
2014-08-10, 11:05 PM
Beth helps to set the coffin down before straightening up, scanning the hostile crowd. Though Hseme seems almost capable of hefting the coffin on his own, she has no desire to have a corpse flopping out on the ground if she drops her end.

Initiative: [roll0] Full-round action, as explained above.

Moranica
2014-08-11, 01:50 AM
Kilem shakes his head in dismay.

"It's a shame it has to go this way", he says as he draws his axe and shield.

Initiative [roll0]

Taloswind
2014-08-12, 06:14 PM
23 - Hseme
16 - Kilem
17 - Aganis
15 - Beth
14 - Ravengro Thugs
6 - Kendra
1 - Ravengro Civilians

Hseme, Ahanis and Beth all lower the slightly awkward coffin. though Hseme easily takes up the weight of the one side.

The men eye Kilem's axe with terror, but some how manage to muster up the courage to attack him. The first swinging Wildly, while the other strikes true as he charges with pitchfork in hand.
Seeing the dwarf take a blow bolsters the men as one cautiously approaches Hseme. Striking out as Hseme raises from placing the coffin on the ground, he catches the large reptile off guard.
Meanwhile anouther moves past Kendra who is still unable to come to terms with what is happening, and strikes at Beth, slipping in the mudd as he attempts to bring the rake down on her.

Two others surround Kendra, and take the opportunity to land a few blows against the "necromancer's" daughter. The blows nearly bowl over the small framed girl, as she struggles to catch her breath

"Kendra!" Zokar exclaims, but is disrupted as another man approaches him. Concerned for his boy he takes a step back.

Hseme Aganis and Beth all take full round actions to lower the coffin, while Kilem dons his shield and weapon (two move actions)

Ravengro thugs split into two groups, half focus on the party while the other half cheers from a distance, or is engaged with other NPCs (marked in yellow)
Two brave men move to engage the armed dwarf,
while one attacks Hseme, and one attacks Beth
The remaining two move to flank Kendra

Two more move and attack at Hseme (17) and Beth (6)

to hit (12) and (18)+2 charge vs Kilem Ac 20 1 hit! (3) non leathal dmg
to hit (17) Hseme AC 17 hit! (4) non leathal dmg
to hit (6) (Beth) AC 15 miss!
to hit (15) and (18)+2 Flanking Kendra 2 hits! (5) (5) non leathal dmg

Badly injured Kendra attempts to stand her ground raising her hands defensivly (full defence)
Gibs moves away from the combat not wanting to get caught in the fight.
The Ravengro Civilians also attempt to disengage.

Battle Map (https://www.dropbox.com/s/0p9n5ijbjj69xvt/Battle-Map2.jpg)

raspberrybadger
2014-08-12, 07:59 PM
Hseme has little more contempt to give for these thugs, but what he has he gives - attacking a defenceless woman and attacking people carefully putting down a coffin. They are not even worth the energy of using his internal power training.

Drawing his three section staff and nonlethally beating the thug who hit him.
To hit: [roll0]
To damage: [roll1]

Moranica
2014-08-13, 05:42 AM
This could go bad, pretty quickly. And it seemed this Gibbs was running the show.

"GIBBS!!! I'm coming for you!!"

He slays the man in front of him, and tries to move towards Gibbs.

Attack [roll0] ; [roll1]
If the man goes down, he moves 20 ft towards Gibbs. Eating all AOO along the way.

Smileybastard
2014-08-13, 05:45 PM
Aganis

"Are you so lost to your fear and hatred that you would harm a unarmed woman in the name of good?" He moves to the first enemy and attacks with the flat of the blade.

Diplomacy [roll0]

He moves to JL and attacks person at IK with none lethal damage (side of blade)
Attack [roll1] (includes the -4)
Damage [roll2]

Taloswind
2014-08-13, 10:49 PM
23 - Hseme
16 - Kilem
17 - Aganis
15 - Beth
14 - Ravengro Thugs
6 - Kendra
1 - Ravengro Civilians

Hseme quickly knocks the man out who struck him. Kilem is not so gentle, burying his axe into his assailant he spays the near by party members with blood as he walks past the soon to be corpse. Angis catches a man in stride with the flat of his blade crumpling the thug. Beth surprised by the blood can do little but defend herself .

"George!" one of the thugs cries as he swings at the dwarf, nearly catching his beard, as he simply walks away from him.
His comrade is more lucky, catching the dwarf across the face with his rake. The two assailants who were attacking Kilem now focus their attention on the "murderous" dwarf striking out at him. Only one blow hits though, but the thug hopes its enough.

The last Assailant unsure of what to do as he finds himself surrounded, drops his shovel to the ground raising his hands in surrender.

Kendra takes the opportunity to surround her self with a magical barrier as she steps back by Zokar.

Meanwhile Gibbs seeing three of his friends drop in a few seconds and another surrender, matched with the angry dwarf charging towards him takes the opportunity to flee the scene. breaking into an all out run towards the west.

The remaining hecklers seem to be loosing their drive as some turn to flee, others slowly backing down with their hands raised.

Hseme knocks out his target, as does Aganis, while Kilem's strike drastically injures his target, as he lays dying on the ground

Beth takes full defence as she is shocked from the sudden eruption of blood.

Kilem takes two AoO, only one hits for 2 non lethal dmg.
The two remaining assailants (one surrendered) try and revenge their comrade attacking the dwarf, only one landing its blow for 5 non leathal dmg.

Kendra casts mage armor and moves 30ft back, as she is badly injured.
Gibbs runs 60ft off the map to the east.

The hecklers back away slowly noting that the dwarf is out for blood.

The civilians seemed shocked but keep their distance from the scene.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/epafcf3yfpuhs4t/Battle-Map3.jpg

Smileybastard
2014-08-13, 11:02 PM
Aganis

Aganis raises his hands. "May Iomedae bless us all and forgive us this meaningless violence." A blue wave of energy moves through everyone.

He channels positive energy to affect the living. [roll0]

Moranica
2014-08-14, 03:42 AM
"AAAHHHGGHH ...., I'm not done yet, Gibbs!! Give yourself up!"

Kilem runs past the two men and towards Gibbs.

Running to stand next to Gibbs.

raspberrybadger
2014-08-14, 04:32 AM
Hseme would like to deal with this Gibbs character, but feels that the dwarf may well have that under control, and that interfering in that matter might be unwise. Besides, he may well be able to help by keeping the thugs from interfering - and the thugs deserve a sound beating too.

Charge attack on the thug at JH, nonlethal.
To hit: [roll0]
To damage: [roll1]

If I've mistaken things and that thug has dropped his weapon and clearly surrendered, then something like going after Gibbs.

AquilaRift
2014-08-14, 09:53 PM
Beth, seeing her fellow pallbearers drop three assailants in as many seconds, shoves past the thug who's lost interest in fighting and hurls a smoking vial towards one of the men who attacked Kilem.

Move to LI and throw a bomb. If Kilem's already moved out of JG, then I'm targeting the non-dwarf standing at KG. If not, I'll throw it at a grid intersection to his right, forgoing the direct damage to avoid catching Kilem in the splash damage.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] fire
Splash damage: 6 fire
Reflex DC for half splash damage: 14

Taloswind
2014-08-15, 12:55 AM
The battle ends as quickly as it started, Hseme quickly dispatches his foe. Despite Kilem's taunts, the old man Gibbs is spry on his feet and easily out runs the dwarf as the remaining man is unable to penetrate the dwarfs armour. Any remaining resistance is quickly quietened as Beth lets loose her bomb, catching the two men on fire.

The remaining men begin to run away fearing for their own lives.

Kendra holding her side where she was struck smiles slightly though the pain. "Thank you, so much for defending us. I am sorry for the behaviour of these men, they are simple folk who do not understand my fathers studies." she says sheepishly, as she remembers her own rage in the instance.

Further down the path three men are seen running towards the group. They are dressed in the grey robes of Pharisma, two wear burial masks while the other has a bald head and greyish skin.

The two well dressed men, greet the party in a friendlier manner introducing themselves as councilmen of Ravengro. The taller gaunt man is Councilman Gharen Muricar, while the shorter Heavier man is Councilman Vashian Hearthmount. They both profess their shock of the attack, noting that they recognises all the men as local farmhands, of low character.

"I think they will remember that beating for the months to come. Being put to shame like that publicly is punishment enough, I don't see any reason on taking things further." Muricar says as he dusts off some dirt from his formal wear.

Zokar tends to his child, His obvious respect for the approaching priests quietens the normally outspoken man.

"Once Kilem Returns from his run, we can continue." Kendra says in half jest as she watches the dwarf chase Gibbs down the cemetery path. The dwarf obviously losing ground with every step.

Hseme quickly knocks another combatant out, as Kilem runs after Gibbs. The AoO misses despite the lack of dext to AC. Beth disables the remaining combatant with a bomb that also hits the downed opponent. Both men are "dying" The remaining men flee provoking AoO as they do so.

Father Grimbarrow and his associates will arrive in (2) rounds and will immediately channel healing the party (and all wounded civilians) for (19)hp. The remaining thugs will awaken and in shame collect their tools and flee is possible, provoking attacks as they do so.)

Should you search the fallen men before father Grimbarrow arrive, they have simple farm tools as weapons and carry no coin. The farm tools, are simple two handed weapons that deal 1d6 dmg.

For Defeating the thugs you receive 600 xp split evenly across the 4 party members (150 xp each)

Moranica
2014-08-15, 02:12 AM
Kilem comes walking back to the group, clearly out of breath.

"...puff...., I couldn't catch 'm. And I didn't want to shoot him in the back. That might not count as self-defense so much."

He looks straight through the group, towards the man he brought down with his axe. "How's he doing? Anybody else got hurt?"

raspberrybadger
2014-08-15, 03:59 AM
Hseme briefly regrets his decision not to chase down this disrespectful Gibbs fellow, but bows to the wishes of the local authorities. Still, such a character may well offend again. If he deserves a beating, he may well yet earn one.

Hearing Kendra use Kilem's name he files it away, and when he returns Hseme reples "He will live. Ah, this gentleman, took care of the matter so that while blood was spilled, it will not be fatal. Rather, to show proper respect, his god provided healing." Hseme looks at Aganis and says No disrespect meant, sir. By what name or title do you wish to be known? This one is known as Hseme.

Hseme isn't going to loot these guys' farming tools, but he's definitely interested in buying a 1d6 nonlethal weapon that lets him use x1.5 his str bonus and doesn't have penalties to hit. If that's available locally, preferably in the form of a spade or something, he'll want to buy one when there is opportunity. If they aren't inherently nonlethal, then he's already got a better weapon.

AquilaRift
2014-08-15, 01:56 PM
Beth hurries to Kendra's side. "You're hurt. The Professor's daughter. I --" She rummages inside her pack. "Damn. Run out of bandages." Seeing the clerics approaching, the chagrined alchemist stands aside to let them do their work.

Didn't buy a healer's kit -- and I don't get infused curative till next level. Sigh. At least we've got multiple healers.

Taloswind
2014-08-15, 06:10 PM
"Its alright I'm fi..." Kendra starts as Beth looks over her injuries. but her voice trails off as the priests arrive.

The Older man appears to be Father Grimbarrow, his stern face surveys the scene quickly as he glares at the newcomers to town. Wordlessly he begins to tap into his divine powers to heal everyone involved. The remaining men regaining consciousness, seeing the elder before them shamefully collect their tools and walk away, the fighting spirit clearly taken out of them.

"I should have expected as much." he says with a rasp voice, "the site is prepared..." he says to Kendra, in a tone showing he greatly disapproves of what took place.

"Thank you Father", Kendra says quietly, she seems to be amazed at the power a single man has over the wounds inflicted in the scuffle.

Zokar bows his head and moves back to his place at the coffin, ready to proceed to the burial site.

The walk there dosent take long, and no more men jump out from behind tombs to assault the burial party.

The site prepared for the professor is a simple one, a hole in the earth for his coffin and a simple stone slab with his name engraved into its face along with the year of his birth and death.

Two heavy ropes lay across the hole, used commonly to lower the heavy casket into the hole. As pallbearers your instructed to place the coffin onto the ropes them selves, after which the two masked priests take over lowering the coffin slowly into the hole as Father Grimbarrow speaks.

"Alll here today, are to witness the pacification and burial of Professor Petros Lorrimor. I will not speak on his character, as you all know him well, but instead will speak on his beliefs. That there is great evil in this world, and that only the sound of mind and just of spirit can hope to conquer them. In the teachings of Pharisma..."

The sermon continues on for twenty minutes as Father Grimbarrow speaks on Pharisma's teachings. Zokar hangs his head in respect, but Kendra seems obviously embarrassed by the length of the sermon. Her father, while respected Pharisma and her teachings, was no true follower. but had wished to be buried in the town of his birth. She is caught glancing at the party members as the sermon carries on, but a look of shock briefly catches her features as Father Grimbarrow says her name.

"Excuse me?" Kendra says in slight puzzlement, obviously not paying attention to the sermon anymore. She quickly regains her composure as she mentally recaps the last sentence of the sermon and says "Yes of course, it would be my honor."

Kendra steps forward and starts to speak on behalf of her father. "Thank you all once more for coming, it still bears some shock to be here speaking at my fathers funeral. It feels like just the other day the two of us were walking through town. With his health as it was, his death was always far from my mind, he was often far more active then I on my best days." Kendra pauses for a moment as if remembering something, a smile comes to her tear soaked cheeks.

"I remember when he returned from one of his trips on my sixteenth birthday, he was all covered in dust and mud as if he had been delving into another dungeon or crypt, but he always made time for me. For my mother before her passing. This time he seemed agitated, and asking what's wrong? He pulled out a dirty map. I don't know sweethart, I just cant figure this blasted thing out. " Kendra says as she tries her best imitation voice of her father.

"I remember being annoyed that he forgot my birthday, but I was also eager to help. Step by step we walked through the clues on the map that lead us about town, from building to building. basement to basement, finding other clues. Now both of us covered in dust and mud, found our selves sneaking into the laughing demons Basement, the clues led me to believe something vile was happening within, but it was all a ruse. Father knowing how much I took after him, created this elaborate adventure just to surprise me with a birthday party. I had often asked him what he did, and I suppose this was his way of showing me. He was a loving man, who had a way about him. well I needn't tell all of you, you all were his friends, and I am happy that all of you could attend. If any of you would like to share your tales, I welcome you to speak."

Zokar speaks quickly. "I remember that night, you Father had the entire town in on it, I was terrified i would give things away, but when the two of you came clambering out of the cellar..." Tears come to the big mans face as he stops to blow his nose, unable to continue.

raspberrybadger
2014-08-15, 08:55 PM
Hseme goes still, trying to determine what this funeral tradition is, and whether he is required to speak. He stays silent out of a concern that he would accidentally disrespect the professor, and hopes that the Iomedae priest will fulfill all necessary duties of ceremony - because as yet, he has no clear ideas on what is required.

AquilaRift
2014-08-16, 04:34 AM
Beth Weaver looks around at the silent crowd, swallows, then speaks haltingly. "Professor Lorrimor was kind to me. When other people wouldn't have been. Not a city girl, by nature. People around who knew my trade, yes, but they didn't have much time for someone who said Mother-Jen's-hood instead of aconitum. Wouldn't have learned much of anything without him. Now, he was no alchemist, but interested in everything. Give him a question he couldn't answer and he'd pull down a dozen old books and track it down with you. The last time I saw him... Things hadn't gone well for me. We talked a long time. He gave me some advice, subjects to research, he warned me not to --" She stops mid-sentence and does not specify the nature of the Professor's warning. "Always going to remember what he said. I never thanked him properly."
But she does not repeat Lorrimor's words to her, either. She falls silent and glares at the ground, wiping away tears as if irritated by her own grief.

Diplomacy: [roll0] I'm not expecting much from this. Someone with a Charisma over 7 had better speak up... :smalltongue:

Moranica
2014-08-16, 05:51 AM
"Hmmpf, We had a common interest and shared some stories together in de long eveningsout on the road. But we never got close on a personal level. He did speak fondly of you, Kendra. He missed you when he was travelling. As for myself, he certainly was one of the nicest employers I've had."

Kilem then steps back with a nod. Having said what he had wanted to say. It is clear now that his fury from earlier on wasn't so much out of love for the old man. But more likely about proper respect and tradition.

Smileybastard
2014-08-16, 12:54 PM
Aganis

"I was once a follower of Pharasma. I knew I had a connection to the divine, but I was never able to achieve that potential.
I met Professor Lorrimor one night in our monastery and we spoke deep into the night. We spoke of things I had never dared speak of with anyone. He was not a religious man, but our conversations made me realize what I needed to do in my life. He was a great man in many ways and one of those small ways was to help set the direction of my life.
"I owe him my life, my new life."

Taloswind
2014-08-16, 09:38 PM
"Thank you all for your stories..." Kendra says quietly as Father Grimbarrrow places a reassuring hand on her shoulder. Turning she shakes hands with the other atenders of the funeral, bidding them farewell.

"Kendra, I have a few matters to attend to before the will reading." Councilman Vashian Hearthmount says abruptly. "I will be at your house at the appointed time."

"Yes, Councilman, thank you for coming." Kendra says as she turns to you. "The councilman has agreed to meet at my house in an hours time to read the will of my father. I invite you to come with me there now if you wish. My Father had an old bottle of Ustalavian wine that he was saving, I think tonight would do it just cause."

Kendra seems awkward as if not entirely sure how to address her father's aquantiences, but she is obviously trying to be welcoming.

raspberrybadger
2014-08-17, 01:30 AM
Relieved that speaking was not required, Hseme is surprised by the invitation, and accepts it as a matter of course, saying "I would be honoured." Without thinking, he adopts a stance as her guard, ready to follow.

Smileybastard
2014-08-17, 07:28 AM
Aganis

Sensing Kendra's awkwardness, Aganis approaches her and takes her arms and smiles. "Thank you my dear, you a most gracious hostess, but we are here for your father and you. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help you."

Moranica
2014-08-17, 08:05 AM
Kilems eyes open in surprise.

"Why would the old man incluse us in his will. As I said before, we got along nicely, but surely he has closer acquantainces then us .... Or me. Kendra, do you what this is about?"

Kilem follows along regardless of her answer.

Smileybastard
2014-08-17, 08:10 AM
Aganis

Aganis walks with Kendra back to the house.

"Please Kilem, lets not press Kendra for answers she likely does not know. She has lost her father and while she is clearly a strong woman, it has been a difficult day."

Taloswind
2014-08-17, 11:27 AM
"No... no, its ok..." Kenda says shyly as they walk towards her home. "I am not sure Kilem, I was under the impression you were all close friends of my father. Perhaps you peaked his interest in someway, or felt he owed you more then what was paid." She says as she ponders the question.

"I am sure the exact nature of this mystery will be revealed in an hours time." Kendra says as she stops abruptly.

Having walked through town you have passed an assortment of buildings, The Lorrimor estate is quite unique in comparison. The product of multiple expansions, it is really hard to tell where the original building began or the expansions took over.

The house is two stories in height with evidence of a basement below. The structure is almost what you would expect to see if you were to peek into the mind of the professor. Multiple wings fashioned in some strange form of chaos enveloped with an even stranger sense of logic. Obviously structurally sound, each room appears to be filled with bookshelves of various natures.

"Well this is it." Kendra says as she pulls a single iron key from a dress pocket. Opening the door she invites you all in.

From inside it is easier to make sense of the additions, as each room is well laid out. The foyer opens into a sitting room with a fireplace, double doors propped open with stone figurines reveals a dinning room and kitchen. Multiple studies also branch off the initial sitting room. Above a single chandelier hands from the vaulted ceiling, revealing the second floor. There are a few more studies here as well as closed doors that you can only assume to be bedrooms.

Lorrimor Estate (https://www.dropbox.com/s/hw536st2tgjajeo/Lorrimor-Estate.jpg)

AquilaRift
2014-08-17, 07:50 PM
Beth seems ill at ease in the manor, but whether it's because she's unaccustomed to its grandeur or because it reminds her of her mentor's death is anyone's guess. She gravitates toward the sitting room bookshelf and begins examining the volumes collected on it, though she doesn't take any of them down to read.

Smileybastard
2014-08-17, 07:55 PM
Aganis

In the house Aganis sits in a convenient chair and waits patiently. He was unsure why the professor called him here. Clearly it was not an easy task to hunt him down. The professor had changed his life, but her could see no way how he any and lasting impact of the professor's, but no matter, he would learn soon enough.

raspberrybadger
2014-08-17, 09:16 PM
Inside the house, Hseme sits as well, thinking that he clearly does not have the familiarity with the family to examine the place. Besides, the cleric has already sat down.

Taloswind
2014-08-18, 02:14 AM
The Libary in the sitting room is not quite what you expected of the professor, many of the Books pretain on social standing, and tales of bards. "Conversation" pieces mostlikly. The studies themselves seem to be broken into various categories and are filled with tombs of varying nature, from history, to arcane literature, to books on flora and fauna.

The hour seems to stretch on in near silence, a few times Kendra attempts to break the ice with drinks and light conversation. She inquires about the relation you had with her father, Kelim's previous comments peaking her interest.

*Knock* *Knock*

Kendra lets out a sigh of relief. "Councilman, welcome."

Councilman Hearthmount lets out a 'hrumph' as he steps inside. "Lets just get this over with..." he says as he eyes the adventurers. "I am still not certain why... they... must be here." he says with disdain in his voice, but quickly shrugs it off. Its obvious he is not fond of outsiders in Ravengro.

Clearing his throat he reaches for an empty glass and filled it with wine. A single gulp is all it takes before the glass is emptied. Reaching into his coat the Councilman produces a scroll case and shows the professors unbroken seal upon it in a ceremonious fashion.

With a quick twist of his wrist, he cracks the seal, opening the case in a fluid motion. As he does, a small iron key falls out of the tube, clattering noisily onto the table. Undaunted by the key the councilman begins to read.

'errr hrrrmh'

“I, Petros Lorrimor, being of sound mind, do hereby commit to this parchment my last will and testament. Let it be known that, with the exception of the specific details below, I leave my home and personal belongings entire to my daughter Kendra. Use them or sell them as you see fit, my child.

“Yet beyond the bequeathing of my personal effects, this document must serve other needs. I have arranged for the reading of this document to be delayed until all principals can be in attendance, for I have more than mere inheritance to apportion. I have two final favors to ask.

“To my old friends, I hate to impose upon you all, but there are few others who are capable of appreciating the true significance of what it is I have to ask. As some of you know, I have devoted many of my studies to all manner of evil, that I might know the enemy and inform those better positioned to stand against it. For knowledge of one’s enemy is the surest path to victory over its plans.

“And so, over the course of my lifetime, I have seen fit to acquire a significant collection of valuable but dangerous tomes, any one of which in the wrong circumstances could have led to an awkward legal situation. While the majority of these tomes remain safe under lock and key at the Lepidstadt University, I fear that a few I have borrowed remain in a trunk in my Ravengro home. While invaluable for my work in life, in death, I would prefer not to burden my daughter with the darker side of my profession, or worse still, the danger of possessing these tomes herself. As such, I am entrusting my chest of tomes to you, posthumously. I ask that you please deliver the collection to my colleagues at the University of Lepidstadt, who will put them to good use for the betterment of the cause.

“Yet before you leave for Lepidstadt, there is the matter of another favor—please delay your journey one month and spend that period of time here in Ravengro to ensure that my daughter is safe and sound. She has no one to count on now that I am gone, and if you would aid her in setting things in order for whatever she desires over the course of this month, you would have my eternal gratitude. From my savings, I have also willed to each of you a sum of one hundred platinum coins. For safekeeping, I have left these funds with Embreth Daramid, one of my most trusted friends in Lepidstadt—she has been instructed to issue this payment upon the safe delivery of the borrowed tomes no sooner than one month after the date of the reading of this will.

“I, Petros Lorrimor, hereby sign this will in Ravengro on this first day of Calistril, in the year _____.”

The Councilman pauses a few times through the read to clear his throat, but gives not break for questions.

Upon Completion he glances to Kendra as he smooths the parchment out on the table for any who with to re-read the document.

"Thank you for your services, Councilman." she says with a slight bow of respect. before showing the large man to the door.

Kendra sits in silence for a moment, as if recapping the entire letter mentally.

Moranica
2014-08-18, 03:52 AM
As the councilmember reads the old man's will, a smile slowly forms on Kilems lips. His eyebrows rise from their normally hanging position and a twickle shows in his eyes.

When the man is done, he is openly chuckling. As if something funny was said.

"Pardon my chuckling, dear Kendra, but you have a very clever father. I can just imagine him sitting in one of his chairs and thinking this out. He must have thought it a clever trick of himself and chuckled over it as I did."Kilem then straightens himself and his eyebrows start moving down again. A serious tone showing on his face.

"Nonetheless, it is a man's last request, and tradition requires that I honour it. I will do as he asked to my best effort, as I'm sure he planned I would." He grins at the last part.

"Kendra, for the next month I am yours to command, after which I shall deliver those books."

Then he looks at the others, as if he expects them to honour tradition as he did.

Smileybastard
2014-08-18, 05:30 AM
Aganis

Aganis nods as the will is read and after the councilman has left he says "Of course I will follow your father's wishes."

raspberrybadger
2014-08-18, 01:33 PM
Hseme listens carefully, especially once he sees the key. It's a sure sign of some cleverness to come. As it is, unless there is a layer of subtlety he cannot penetrate, this is a matter of being a bodyguard to a woman, and then a guard to a small shipment. There will be time to appreciate the subtlety later. For now, it is time to agree:

"As will I."

AquilaRift
2014-08-18, 05:50 PM
Through the reading of the will, Beth's expression turns from disappointment to surprise to a kind of hopeful calculation. At the end, she adds a silent nod to the party's unanimous assent.

Taloswind
2014-08-19, 01:15 AM
Kendra nods at her guests seeing their agreement to her father's will. "Right. I'm still not entirely sure what this is all about, but I admit the company will be nice. I will need at least a few weeks to decide if I am to sell the estate or remain here in Ravengro. In the meantime, If you wish there are plenty of rooms should you wish to stay here on the estate." she says trying to smile, though her brow is wrinkles as if she is still processing everything that is happening. "My father trusted you, and as such so shall I. If you will excuse me, I will fetch the aforementioned chest."

Kendra says as she turns towards the main entry hall. It is a few moments before she returns, though her movements can be tracked from the open layout of the sitting area. She is quick, yet graceful as she walks across the above walkway.

As she returns, she seems nervous as she looks down at the small blackened oak chest with iron banding. "Its contents were intended for you to see. I will leave it in your care." Kendra says as if making up her mind on the object. She gently puts the chest down on the small table, along with the iron key that she must have retrieved. "I will put the kettle on for some tea.. My dear you must all be hungry after your journey. I'll see if I can't put something together for you."

The key fits the lock perfectly, and within are several old tomes and one relatively new one. The newest tome sits on the top and bears the phrase “Read me now!” scratched into the leather cover.

While the others have notes tucked into them detailing their delivery.

On Verified Madness: A jet-black book

Serving Your Hunger: Has a maroon, almost blood-like leather cover.

The Umbral Leaves: A heavy Lexicon with black and gold binding.

Manual of the Order of the Palatine Eye: The rich purple cover contains a brass scarab set with a single eye in its center. has a locked binding sealing its contents.

Three of these have notes tucked into them indicating that they should be delivered to one Montagnie Crowl, a professor of antiquities at Lepidstadt University.

The fourth, Manual of the Order of the Palatine Eye, has a note indicating it should be delivered to Embreth Daramid, a judge at the Lepidstadt. (although the note asks for this delivery in particular to be handled discreetly, and includes the address of Embreth’s home)

A few minutes with each book determines a bit about them. While the Newer book appears to be a journal of the late professor.

This Book is locked closed, but could be opened with a successful Disable Device check. The lock could also be easily destroyed or atempted to be forced open.

You may also roll a knowledge (arcana, history or local) check into the origins of this book based on the title alone.

This jet-black book is a treatise on aberrations and other
entities found on Golarion that possess remote ties to the Dark Tapestry, the name given to the
dark places between the stars in the night sky.

Reading the book from cover to cover takes 8 hours of time, and revleals little additional information, filled with rites and riddles.

This text is a copy of one of several unholy books sacred to the goddess Urgathoa. Lorrimor’s notations liberally sprinkle the margins. Reading this Book also Takes 8 hours of time, though most of the information appears to have little use without the proper context.

This lexicon is a translation into Common of the unholy book of Zon-Kuthon.

This book would take 48 hours of time to read cover to cover, and filled with rites and rituals, prayers and stories of Zon-Kuthon. (like many religious texts, it is a very dry read.)

The majority of the journal is relatively bland, accounting day to day activities in a small town. Although, several entries are circles in red ink.

Dated Ten Years Ago:
The Whispering Way is more than just a cabal of necromancers. I see that now. Undeath is their fountain of youth. Uncovering their motivation does not place me at ease as I thought it might. Their desire to be eternal simply makes them more dangerous.

Dated Two Months Ago:
It is as I had feared. The Way is interested in something here in Ravengro. But what could it be?

Dated One Month Ago:
Whatever the Way seeks, I am now convinced their goal is connected to Harrowstone. In retrospect, I suppose it all makes sense—the stories they tell about the ruins in town are certainly chilling enough. It may be time to investigate the ruins, but with everyone in town already being so worked up about them, I’d rather not let the others know about my curiosity—there’s plenty of folks hereabouts who already think I’m a demonologist or a witch or something. Ignorant fools.

Dated Twenty Days Ago:
It is confirmed. The Way seems quite interested in something—no, strike that—someone who was held in Harrowstone. But who, specifically, is the Way after? I need a list of everyone who died the night of the fire. Everyone. The Temple of Pharasma must have such a list.

Dated Eighteen Days Ago:
I see now just how ill prepared I was when I last set out for the Harrowstone. I am lucky to have returned at all. The ghosts, if indeed they were ghosts (for I did not find it prudent to investigate further) prevented me from transcribing the strange symbols I found etched along the foundation—hopefully on my next visit I will be more prepared. Thankfully, the necessary tools to defend against spirits are already here in Ravengro. I know that the church of Pharasma used to
store them in a false crypt in the Restlands at the intersection between Eversleep and the Black Path. I am not certain if the current clergy even know of what their predecessors have hidden down below. If my luck holds, I should be able to slip in and out with a few borrowed items.

Dated Seventeen Days Ago: (The same Date noted on his gave stone as his last.)
Tomorrow evening I return to the prison. It is imperative the Way does not finish. My caution has already cost me too much time. I am not sure what will happen if I am too late, but if my theory is right, the entire town could be at risk. I don’t have time to update my will, so I’ll leave this in the chest where it’ll be sure to be found, should the worst come to pass.

Each player is entitled to a single knowledge check regarding certain subjects to determine their base knowledge on the subjects.

While these subjects can be researched further with time and proper materials, each additional attempt takes 8 hours of time.

Harrrowstone: (History, or Local)
Whistpering Way: (Arcana, Religion)
The Five Prisoners: (History, Local)

raspberrybadger
2014-08-19, 02:58 AM
Kendra's talking out loud to figure out what to do is familiar enough, and Hseme mostly ignores it. Similarly, he thinks nothing of her fetching the chest until she returns - her nervousness at holding it has him paying attention - and thinking on what he hears. Its contents were intended for you to see. She knows something, and she fears. And we are to guard her. He looks at the books, but except for the journal he does not understand what he sees, and so he leaves the other books for the others. The journal though describes an enemy. That is ground he knows how to deal with. So he speaks up, saying

"In our task, we already have an opponent. The village thugs were nothing. This journal says we have a problem, possibly soon. Necromancers. The enemy acts on his own timetable, so we must be prepared.

"My name is Hseme. I can cut down enemies, handle the tactics of a fight, or spot enemies before they come. We must deny the enemy something he needs to succeed. If it comes to it, killing them as they come will do that, but now is the time to seek a better way."

Untrained Knowledge Arcana check about the Whispering Way: [roll0]

Smileybastard
2014-08-19, 05:05 AM
Aganis

Aganis glances at the books and seems to have no inclination to touch them. He waits patiently for Hseme to finish with the journal.

"An enemy? In terms of Kendra or the books here?"

raspberrybadger
2014-08-19, 05:36 AM
Hseme says "The journal says these necromancers may act against the town. They may have killed the Professor. They may try to stop us from carrying out Kendra's wishes. I prefer that they find they are our enemies and that they have lost at about the same time. Look, see." Hseme hands over the journal with confidence.

Moranica
2014-08-19, 08:11 AM
Kilem eyes the books with distrust.

He picks out the tome of The Umbral Leaves to read. Not realising the monumentous task at hand.

"Trouble you say? I am Kilem Thorcoral, of a long line of undead slayers. So I fear no necromancer. They then to be just as vulnerable to an arrow to the throat as most others."

"In my family we say: If it's dead, we can kill it!"

Knowledge religion (trained) [roll0]

AquilaRift
2014-08-19, 03:28 PM
Beth lets out a sniff of laughter. "Might be harder than you think. Still. I'm in."

Knowledge roll regarding the Whispering Way:
(arcana) [roll0]

Taloswind
2014-08-19, 03:49 PM
Kendra can be heard in the other room as she hums a dreary Ustalavian tune while she cooks. The smell of cooked pork and herbs begins to fill the air.

DC 10: The Whispering Way is a sinister
organization of necromancers that has been active in the
Inner Sea region for thousands of years.

DC 15: Agents of the Whispering Way often
seek alliances with undead creatures, or are themselves
undead. The Whispering Way’s most notorious member
was Tar-Baphon, the Whispering Tyrant, although the
society itself has existed much longer than even that
mighty necromancer.

DC 20: The Whispering Way itself is a series of
philosophies that can only be transferred via whispers—
the philosophies are never written or spoken of loudly,
making the exact goals and nature of the secretive
philosophy difficult for outsiders to learn much about.

DC 25: Exact details on the society are difficult
to discern, but chief among the Whispering Way’s goals are
discovering formulae for creating liches and engineering
the release of the Whispering Tyrant. Agents often travel
to remote sites or areas plagued by notorious haunts
or undead menaces to perform field research or even to
capture unique monsters. Their symbol is a gagged skull,
and those who learn too many of the Way’s secrets are
often murdered, and their mouths mutilated to prevent
their bodies from divulging secrets via speak with dead.

DC 10: The Whispering Way is a sinister
organization of necromancers that has been active in the
Inner Sea region for thousands of years.

Knowledge check of the Whispering way gives the party 400xp to split (100 each)

AquilaRift
2014-08-19, 05:46 PM
Beth takes the journal and pages through it. "You all know much about the Whispering Way?"

Smileybastard
2014-08-19, 07:05 PM
Aganis

"It seems our enemy may be bigger than wanting to harm Kendra or these books then. The instructions in the will were general. This threat seems much more wide spread. Does the Professor say they are interested in these books? Kendra?"

Moranica
2014-08-20, 03:57 AM
After Kilem reads to the journal he sighs in relief.

"Seems like there's trouble brewing up there. And the armory isn't to far away, apparently."

He then raises his broad shoulders.

"Well, I guess we were lucky he didn't have time to update his will. I bet he would have used us to clear that place out!"

He then moves off to find himself a place to rest from the day's events. "Just call if you need me, Kendra."

Smileybastard
2014-08-20, 05:07 AM
Aganis

Aganis looks at Kilem. "Used?" The word seems distasteful to Aganis. "The Professor requested us to help. There is no demand or compulsion here. If you feel you are being used I suggest you leave. I for one feel this is something we should look into request in the will or not, payment or not. I stand against evil as the Professor did."

Moranica
2014-08-20, 06:59 AM
"Oh, dear, I think you misunderstood me there. I never said I mind getting tricked by the old man. I can appreciate a bit of subtle manipulation, and if it's for the greater good, it just means I'll have more fun doing it. .... But I guess it must be dwarven humor. You don't believe it coincidencial that he met us all a long time and now spontaneously put us in his will?"

raspberrybadger
2014-08-20, 02:00 PM
Hseme speaks up, saying "I owe the man a favour, and he is paying. There may be a more worthy fight here as well. These necromancers come from an old tradition, though that will not stop us from defeating them if we are decisive." Looking at Beth, he continues "Still, it seems the professor wishes us to learn more about them before opposing them."

AquilaRift
2014-08-20, 02:14 PM
"Whispering Way aren't just necromancers. 'Undeath is their fountain of youth,' the professor said, and he was right. They're after immortality. Lichdom. The release of Tar-Baphon -- don't need to tell you who he was." Beth pages through The Umbral Leaves before dropping it back in the chest. "Scholars, too, in their way. Not as scrupulous as the professor was, though. Sounds like they were interested in... Harrowstone. What's that? Prison? Hospital?"

Taloswind
2014-08-20, 05:06 PM
"Horrowstone? I'm surprised you have not heard of it..." Kendra says as she comes out of the kitchen carrying a Metal tray. The Tray Holds several empty bowls, silverware and cups along with a iron kettle."You probably saw the old prison on your way into town, Ravengro was founded as a support system for the prison while it was still active. I heard it burnt down, but that must have been years ago." She says as she passes by placing the tray in the dinning room. "Perhaps there is more information at town hall, but the town council does not normally allow visitors to use the building at all... The temple might also have records on the matter.." Kendra says as she returns to the kitchen.

Smileybastard
2014-08-20, 07:16 PM
Aganis

Aganis continues to look at Kilem as he speaks. "I also said nothing of tricking. And I see no manipulation here. I doubt he planned he demise to manipulate us. I see no coincidence in his death and I see no humor in it either."

Aganis listens to the others speak and then thanks Kendra for the service. He then proceeds to pour out bowls for everyone.

raspberrybadger
2014-08-20, 10:56 PM
Hseme jumps to conclusions and says "So how do we get at these records? Or might there be a copy here? The professor was looking into the place already."

AquilaRift
2014-08-22, 07:15 PM
"Temple first. May as well not break any laws unless we have to. We're new here, after all." Beth picks up Manual of the Order of the Palatine Eye and studies it.

Knowledge (arcana) on the locked book. [roll0]

Smileybastard
2014-08-22, 07:19 PM
Aganis

"I wonder what the temple's opinion of the Professor is? If it was positive it may help us."

Moranica
2014-08-23, 12:37 AM
Kilem just sits there, watching the conversation unfold. Some valid points are made, but he keeps looking at Kendra, to see what she really wants.

raspberrybadger
2014-08-24, 01:20 AM
Hseme replies "Then we guard Kendra on an expedition to the temple, and see what they tell us."

Taloswind
2014-08-26, 12:31 AM
"While I do appreciate the enthusiasm. I am not sure I need an armed escort everywhere I go." Kendra replies with a sly smile. "Father Grimbarrow is the head of the temple, it is he whom you should speak if you with to visit the temple archives. I can write your a letter of introduction, though I am not sure how much good it will do." She says thoughtfully

"The temple from what father had said, keeps many of its resources only available to members of its own order. though should a just reason be presented I do not see why they would deny access..." She says as she ponders over the books and journal.

"Never the less, it is late, perhaps such a journey should wait until morning."

DC 25 knowledge check
The Esoteric Order of the Palatine Eye is a secret society whose members have deep
interests in all things political and arcane.

Since its inception, Esoteric Order members have enjoyed the benefits of an inf luential social club with powerful connections.

Central to the Palatine Eye’s theology is an ordered path of learning, divided into nine steps of ascendancy, known as stations, emulating a supposed celestial hierarchy
of angels. The separation between stations exists to encourage ambition and obscure motivations as well as to conceal the group’s activities in the eyes of conspiracy theorists, unsympathetic religions, and occasionally the law.

The Palatine Eye: The most pervasive of the society’s symbols, the blazing Palatine Eye gazes from the back of a golden scarab upon the breadth of Golarion, piercing all
shadow to seek the light of truth. Only with wise scrutiny can hidden knowledge be unveiled, and the staring eye represents the search for fellowship in the desert of
ignorance and the ascendancy toward truth. A closed eye represents death and ignorance.

OOC: I am not positive if you are trying to bring Kendra in on the facts about her recently deceased father, or spare her. for now her reactions are that of ignorance to what you have read. If I mis-understood please inform me in OOC

AquilaRift
2014-08-26, 04:23 PM
"All right. Dinner, then." Beth bows her head, not letting go of the Manual, and looks around at the party. "Appreciate your hospitality, Ms. Lorrimor."

raspberrybadger
2014-08-27, 06:14 AM
Hseme continues leaping to conclusions, thinking So she has something she needs to do for which she wants no witnesses. Understandable that she would not trust us - and some of us truly would not stay quiet.

At the moment, dinner seems to be what is happening, so he lets it happen.

Moranica
2014-08-27, 02:46 PM
"Ah, how wise. A good meal before a good night sleep...."

Kilem happily digs in, but after a while he apoligises for his manners.

"Pardon me, .... it's just been a while to have good food and a proper roof above my head."

Taloswind
2014-08-28, 11:36 AM
"Oh no, your my guests." Kendra says smiling to Beths comment.

"Kelim, you remind me of my father after a day in the field, or library. He would come home ravished with hunger, unable to say a word until he had cleared half of his plate." She says as she laughs at the idea imagining her father and Kelim sharing a meal over a camp-fire on some adventure.

Diner is a short affair, Kendra makes short conversation through the meal inquiring further into your relationship with her father, your profession as well as small details about your past.

Kendra is kind and welcoming, despite the hard reality of what has happened.Through the conversation some information is gain about Kendra. Her father taught her what she knows of magic and much of the world. His inspiration coursed her to teach the children here in town, though she admits that not many have the aptitude for any advanced learning. Simple writing and addition is all she really manages to get across.

Kendra will stay up for some time talking with you, as she is very interested about the world outside of Ravengro. But as midnight comes around the errie sound of wolf howls can be heard outside. This is a snap back to reality for Kendra who excuses herself exclaiming how late it has gotten.

"We have many guest rooms, Father always had all sorts of company coming to visit. If you will follow me I will direct you to your room. I had set linen out for each room earlier."

Kendra leads you to the main foyer and up the stairs to the almost catwalk upper floor. An ornate wooden rail protects you from the hazard of falling. "I am on the last room on the left, Fathers room was on the right of that, the others, are yours for as long as you are here in Ravengro."

Each room has a unique door with black plaques on their facing. As you move to open the door, the plaque changes slightly as magical runes begin to form. For those of you who know draconic it appears to be your name. The rooms are decorated simply, yet functional and comfortable. There is a large chest with a key in it in each room for personal use as well as an armoire for any clothing. The surface of the chest appears scratched as if heavy armour and weapons had been placed on it in the past.

raspberrybadger
2014-08-29, 10:29 PM
Hseme doesn't really ask questions about the door. It's magic. He decides to go straight to bed - get sleep when you can. He puts his backpack in the way of the door opening, so it will slow down the door and make noise. His weapons go around him, and he falls asleep on whatever looks most comfortable.

Smileybastard
2014-08-30, 08:26 AM
Aganis

Aganis thanks Kendra deeply for the room and then enters. He removes his armor and longsword and places them on the chest and then gives a short prayer to Iomedae and then goes immediately to bed.

Moranica
2014-09-01, 02:44 PM
Kilem thanks Kendra for the warm welcome, despite the circumstances.

"Thank you, Kendra. You share your father's clarity of mind, which is something I always admired about him. Good night, and call me if you need anything."

He then goes to his room to sleep.

AquilaRift
2014-09-02, 11:24 PM
Beth lets out an intrigued little hum at the sight of her name appearing on the door, but fatigue is already overtaking her. She gratefully falls into the offered bed without further attempts at scholarship.