PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed attack as a two handed weapon?

Smegskull
2014-08-05, 01:03 PM
Questioned what I thought was an error on my players damage stats and found this.

PHB Quotes.
"An unarmed strike is always considered a light weapon."
"A light weapon is used in one hand."
"If a one-handed weapon is wielded with two hands during melee combat, add 1-1/2 times the character’s Strength bonus to damage rolls."

so my question is do you add 1.5 times Str mod to damage if the players is not making off hand attacks?

Kid Jake
2014-08-05, 01:10 PM
There's a feat called Hammerfist that lets you treat unarmed attacks as being two-handed.

molten_dragon
2014-08-05, 01:18 PM
Questioned what I thought was an error on my players damage stats and found this.

PHB Quotes.
"An unarmed strike is always considered a light weapon."
"A light weapon is used in one hand."
"If a one-handed weapon is wielded with two hands during melee combat, add 1-1/2 times the character’s Strength bonus to damage rolls."

so my question is do you add 1.5 times Str mod to damage if the players is not making off hand attacks?

No, you don't.

A one-handed weapon is a specific category, i.e. light > one-handed > two-handed. It does not mean any weapon that is wielded in one hand. The part about applying 1.5x strength bonus to damage only applies to one-handed weapons wielded in two hands, not light weapons wielded in two hands.

Smegskull
2014-08-10, 05:50 PM
Player fed me the argument this way today

"A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon"
&
"An attack with a primary natural weapon uses the creature’s full attack bonus, and its damage includes its full Strength modifier (1-1/2 times its Strength bonus if the attack is with the creature’s sole natural weapon)."

Jormengand
2014-08-10, 05:54 PM
Monks always add their full strength modifier to UAS attacks, and are specifically called out as not adding 1.5 or 0.5 times their strength.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-08-10, 05:55 PM
Your first quote is missing the second half of the sentence "for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons"
A monk gets his strength bonus (x1) on his unarmed strike. It's right there in the description.

KingAtomsk
2014-08-11, 06:28 AM
Ah yes, the Starfleet Academy School of Martial Arts (http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/1267104/captain-kirk-fight-scene-o.gif)

Mystral
2014-08-11, 06:54 AM
Just allow it, make it a bonus monk class feature. That class has it rough enough, already.