PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying PrC fluff prerequisites

Kazyan
2014-08-05, 02:44 PM
In looking for prestige classes for a Zen Archery cleric, I've run into a problem in that everything worthwhile has a potentially difficult fluff prerequisite. These are usually waved off as trivial in optimization exercises, but I've suddenly realized that some of them make you at the DM's mercy as to whether you can get in. (I want Paragnostic Apostle and/or Ruathar-into-Seeker of the Misty Isle; both of them have this problem and I only realized their uses after the character was in play, eliminating the "it's in my backstory" option.)

What's your experiences with fluff-restricted PrCs like these, where you basically have to ask the DM to add a subplot? I'm aware that refluffing is popular, but let's say we want to satisfy the fluff prerequisites anyway.

Psyren
2014-08-05, 02:53 PM
"Difficult?" Here are the Paragnostic Assembly entry requirements:

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Skills: Any two Knowledge skills, 3 ranks each.
Special: Intelligence 13 or Wisdom 13.

It's not even "and" - it's "or." And the preceding paragraph notes that any class can get in, even Fighters and Warlocks. (hurr hurr warlock iz dum (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0677.html))

As for Seeker of the Misty Isle - the fluff requirements are simply "I'm an elf who really wants to find our ancestral home" and "another Seeker inducted me," - the latter of which doesn't even require a letter from the home office.

Kazyan
2014-08-05, 03:15 PM
One of two mental stats and knowledge skills, sure; those are mechanical requirements. In terms of fluff, the idea of detouring an adventure to go out and get a permission slip or whatever from the Paragnostic Assembly--or other PrCs have some similar organization, e.g. Guardians of the Green--while not boring the other players, seems like it could be an issue. That's what I'm talking about. (I've never had to do this particular type of hoop-jumping before, so I don't know what it's like.)

Psyren
2014-08-05, 03:21 PM
I just think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. You can petition to join the Assembly by letter or Sending; you don't have to "detour" anywhere, and even if you did, the DM could just stick a branch in the next town you visit or something.

That stuff isn't there to stand in your way - they created PrCs for people to use. That stuff is there so the DM can make plot hooks and interesting motivations for the NPCs. Maybe that piggy nobleman you saved from bandits is the Assembly's Chief Librarian. Maybe that elf ranger stalking the group to learn their intentions is a Seeker, and if you turn out to be good folks he will extend an offer to your party's elf cleric. Maybe the forest being attacked by pyromaniac goblins is under the protection of a small cluster of Guardians of the Green. Yeah I agree joining a PrC should be a little more involved than "okay, I'm taking my first level now" - but it doesn't have to be particularly onerous either.

nedz
2014-08-05, 03:25 PM
Talk to your DM.

I can only give you my views.

As a DM I hate this sort of thing because it forces a cliché into the game for no good reason other than a player wants to take a PrC. My approach is to say put it in your backstory, or if you forgot to do that retcon your backstory (and we'll call it character development), or if you don't like that idea I'll handwave it anyway.

Other DMs may take a different view — it can be seen as a side quest and whilst I have run such things in the past: I've been DMing a long time and so this idea seems very old to me.

torrasque666
2014-08-05, 05:37 PM
I'm partially convinced that half of the PrCs with a "Special" prerequisite were made, not for the PCs, but for the DM.

squiggit
2014-08-05, 08:02 PM
Yeah. All you can do is try to justify it and make it less inconvenient for the DM and talk to him.

Personally when I DM I almost entirely ignore those. Some guy I've never met from a decade ago trying to tell me how I should run my campaign rubs me wrong and it's rare that the requirements justify themselves.

But I also let people play chaotic evil Druids who wear metal armor. So eh.