PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Mutants & Masterminds: Power Confusion

DukeGurren
2014-08-05, 03:21 PM
Admittedly It's my first time dealing with the rules for M&M, and yes I am trying to read/understand the rules but understanding powers is, for me, by far the most confusing part. The reason why is because I know the powers I want in my head, but when I go into the list, I can't tell what half of these mean or are. For example: I Want a character whose powers are magic based, and my Intent is to have him have the powers such as Never being noticed (think Dr. Nemo), Nullify (maybe broad "magic" if possible) and being able to walk on walls/ceilings as if he were defying gravity. There are a bunch of other Ideas I have (ok just a few) that I want to try out but I'm starting with this. So my main thing is figuring out "making" the powers overall I guess.

P.S. my group is going to be starting at power LVL 8.

Beleriphon
2014-08-05, 03:49 PM
Admittedly It's my first time dealing with the rules for M&M, and yes I am trying to read/understand the rules but understanding powers is, for me, by far the most confusing part. The reason why is because I know the powers I want in my head, but when I go into the list, I can't tell what half of these mean or are. For example: I Want a character whose powers are magic based, and my Intent is to have him have the powers such as Never being noticed (think Dr. Nemo), Nullify (maybe broad "magic" if possible) and being able to walk on walls/ceilings as if he were defying gravity. There are a bunch of other Ideas I have (ok just a few) that I want to try out but I'm starting with this. So my main thing is figuring out "making" the powers overall I guess.

P.S. my group is going to be starting at power LVL 8.

What you need to do is to figure out what you want each powr to do and then select the effect you want that matches it most closesly. Using extras and flaws can then further modify the effect to create the power you want. For example, walking on ceilings and walls is the wall crawling part of Movement.

Kid Jake
2014-08-05, 05:45 PM
Which edition? I've heard it's easier to model some powers in 2e (which I'm familiar with) than 3rd.

DukeGurren
2014-08-05, 06:09 PM
Which edition? I've heard it's easier to model some powers in 2e (which I'm familiar with) than 3rd.

It's 3RD edition. First time making a character. I don't want to go overboard, just have fun with this guy.

Kid Jake
2014-08-05, 09:06 PM
Alright, I'm not as familiar with 3rd but it seems similar enough.

Beleriphon's wall-walking idea seems spot on and (depending on how powerful of an effect you're looking for) I'd probably model Never Being Noticed on the 8pt version of Invisiblity with the following modifiers: Limited, Only works on sentient beings(machines and mindless creatures can still see you) and Resistible, DC18 Willsave to see through its effect. If you're going for literally, never being noticed; then I'd just go straight Invisibility since it'ed be mechanically the same. Nullify seems pretty straightforward by itself.

When building a M&M character it's usually not about building the perfect power, but refluffing an existing one to look right. Cyclops, Black Canary and Deadshot would all be built around some form of the Blast power; even though they're very different characters.

Beleriphon
2014-08-06, 04:11 PM
Alright, I'm not as familiar with 3rd but it seems similar enough.

Beleriphon's wall-walking idea seems spot on and (depending on how powerful of an effect you're looking for) I'd probably model Never Being Noticed on the 8pt version of Invisiblity with the following modifiers: Limited, Only works on sentient beings(machines and mindless creatures can still see you) and Resistible, DC18 Willsave to see through its effect. If you're going for literally, never being noticed; then I'd just go straight Invisibility since it'ed be mechanically the same. Nullify seems pretty straightforward by itself.

When building a M&M character it's usually not about building the perfect power, but refluffing an existing one to look right. Cyclops, Black Canary and Deadshot would all be built around some form of the Blast power; even though they're very different characters.

Most specifically, Cyclops has an array of ranged damage effects (multi-shot, cones, and such) with a complication regarding his Visor, Black Canary has a cone damage with a linked affliction and Deadshot has a removable ranged damage effect.

DukeGurren
2014-08-11, 11:54 PM
Thanks for everything guys. I found out that the someone else's problem field (as it's called) is actually concealment rank 10, and then I supplemented it with anti tracking powers and a descriptor of cold for flavor to give the guy a spectral persona. Other than that, I'm tweaking this guy to be a "F-reality" kind of guy and it's going to be hilarious (hopefully). Thanks again for the help you've given.