PDA

View Full Version : You don't understand me!

Dhavaer
2007-03-04, 04:18 PM
Inspired by detect thoughts.

Unfathomable
Prereqs 27 Int
Benefit Whenever you are targetted my a mind-affecting effect, if the controller of that effect has an Intelligence at least 10 less than yours, they are stunned for 1 round and the effect fails.
Any Sense Motive checks made against you suffer a penalty equal to you Intelligence modifier.

Collin152
2007-03-04, 04:23 PM
So... Things of about Int 17 and lower at minimum can't hit you with mind affecting things... seems to me that only wizards have int that high, and a simple spell does the trick. I forget which one, though...

TheOOB
2007-03-04, 04:49 PM
Hmm, I made a similar feat awhile ago, though mine is significantly more angsty.

Dark Minded[General]
You have seen things that no person was ever ment to see, and those sights left a mark on your soul
Prerequisites: DM Approval
Benefits: You gain the evil subtype if you did not allready have it although your acual alignment does not change. In addition whenever a being without the evil subtype makes contact with your mind (such as through read thoughts or dominate person) they must make a will save(DC 10 + 1/2 character level + your CHA modifier) or else the spell failes and they are dazed for 1d4 rounds.

Collin152
2007-03-04, 04:53 PM
.. Not quite the same role being filled here.

Dhavaer
2007-03-04, 04:54 PM
I think Dark Minded might need a slightly tighter definition of 'makes contact with your mind'.

TheOOB
2007-03-04, 08:07 PM
I think Dark Minded might need a slightly tighter definition of 'makes contact with your mind'.

I know it does, since the feat ended up being so horrible I never bothered elaborating.

mikeejimbo
2007-03-04, 08:10 PM
How about "teenager" as the prerequisite?

martyboy74
2007-03-04, 08:54 PM
I don't really think that the feat needs the prereq; it scales on it's own, and someone with an intelligence of 10+ highers than yours has an alien mind to you anyways.

TheOOB
2007-03-04, 09:40 PM
How about "teenager" as the prerequisite?

It's not the teenagers thats the problum, it's being forced under the oppresive yoke of over-bearing parents who know nothing of todays world thats the problum :P.

Dhavaer
2007-03-05, 04:31 AM
Yay or nay to the Sense Motive penalty?

2 Eyed Cyclops
2007-03-05, 04:41 AM
I vote yay

Logic
2007-03-05, 04:41 AM
I say adding it would be appropriate. However, the INT requirement seems a little steep to me. 23+, or 25+ seems more achievable. And I prefer to have feats that are available before Epic level.

Jack Mann
2007-03-05, 05:32 AM
Eh, you could get it with, say, a gray elf wizard pre-epic, but yeah, it's pretty high-level even then (say, +4 from levels, +3 tome).

Dhavaer
2007-03-05, 07:05 AM
Added Sense Motive penalty.
The pre-req is 27 because 26 is the cut off for detect thoughts stunning, and feats generally require odd abilities.

Logic
2007-03-05, 07:10 AM
Well then, you were applying more information that I had readily available, and I commend you for using logic (no pun intended) to build it.

alchemy.freak
2007-03-06, 10:36 AM
i would say that you should attatch a longer lasting penalty to anyone who tries to detect your thoughts, soemthing along the lines of if Their INT (or perhaps WIS) is below X they may go irretievably insane (ala call of cthulhu) because your mind contains things that ordinary people would find world shattering

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-06, 10:49 AM
http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/psionicFeats.html#hostile-mind

Very similar feat that already exists.

mockingbyrd7
2007-03-06, 11:06 AM
I'd say the Intelligence should also be substitutable for Wisdom, because Wisdom is where sense motive and people-sense usually comes from, not to mention understanding people.

Dhavaer
2007-03-06, 12:09 PM
I'd say the Intelligence should also be substitutable for Wisdom, because Wisdom is where sense motive and people-sense usually comes from, not to mention understanding people.

?

This doesn't really have anything to do with understanding people, but with people failing to understand you. I don't see that Wisdom fits.

i would say that you should attatch a longer lasting penalty to anyone who tries to detect your thoughts, soemthing along the lines of if Their INT (or perhaps WIS) is below X they may go irretievably insane (ala call of cthulhu) because your mind contains things that ordinary people would find world shattering

An additional effect if the triggering effect is Divination? I'd say hit them with an insanity with an Intelligence cut off of 15 or 20 below your Intelligence, probably with a Will save. That might be overpowered, though.