PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Preparing character for upcoming module, need help

ZeroSpace9000
2014-08-05, 10:30 PM
So sometime in the next few weeks, a friend of mine will begin running Curse of the Emerald Spire, but I'm having some troubles working on a character for the game.

Just a note right now, for anyone who has played this AP, I'm not looking for metagamey help at all. I want whatever I do bring to capable of standing up to whatever I'll run into, not specially tailored for it.

I'm thinking of one of two possible ideas for what to run. The first is some kind of Combat Maneuver using Fighter, likely using Lore Warden for big boosts to CMB/D. The other is an Aasimar Dervish Bard (undecided as to which flavour), applying the racial FCB to Inspire Courage to get that as strong as I can, as fast as I can.

The fighter would be more durable, and a better long-haul melee-er, whereas the Bard would be more versatile with spellcasting. Also, if fighter, which Combat Maneuvers should I focus on? I was thinking Grapple and Trip as my main maneuvers.

Snowbluff
2014-08-05, 11:06 PM
I could say no to fighter.

The Optimistic Gmabler Trait is good for bards.

As an alternative, Evangelist Cleric gets Inspire Courage.

deuxhero
2014-08-06, 01:33 AM
Dervish Bard is medicore

Dawnflower Dervish is fantastic. At mid levels you can actually tank amazingly well by stopping+restarting inspire greatness as a swift action each round for loads of temp HP, which is something Fighter absolutely can't do.

ZeroSpace9000
2014-08-08, 06:28 PM
Bit of an update here, mainly regarding party composition. There'll be two other characters in the party, one an Android Magus, the other will be either a second Magus, or an Arcanist from Advanced Class Guide.

deuxhero
2014-08-08, 06:42 PM
If he goes arcanist, definitely Dawnflower Dervish as a "skilled" character.

If he goes Magus too, I can't recommend it

ZeroSpace9000
2014-08-08, 06:48 PM
What do you recommend if the second player goes Magus, DeuxHero?

Snowbluff
2014-08-08, 07:12 PM
Ranged combat.

Samsaran + Greater Named Bullet + Abundant Ammunition.

ZeroSpace9000
2014-08-10, 01:38 PM
Any recommendations as far as ACG classes go though? The DM has specifically OK'ed that book, but I don't personally have access to it look over what all is in there. One of the other players, the one waffling between Magus and Arcanist, almost certainly would have access to the playtest files at a minimum.

ZeroSpace9000
2014-08-12, 06:13 PM
So, update. The two magi have changed, and now we've got a human Arcanist, and a Changeling Druid. The Arcanist looks to be covering blasting, as well as some crafting, not sure what the druid will do, besides win.

I've got my character more or less done, I'm mainly just selecting spells known, and plotting out feats. My thoughts for feats are Dodge (likely locked in), Wind/Lightning Stance, Osyluth Guile, and maybe Combat Expertise into Improved/Greater Feint. Thoughts?