PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Invocation Schools?

Cowardly Griffo
2014-08-05, 11:35 PM
Pretty straightforward question, I suppose. Do Warlock and Dragonfire Adept invocations belong to any particular school, by RAW?

I'm sure the ones that imitate extant spells have the school of the spell they mimic, but what about the others? I'm not seeing anything in the books' invocation descriptions, but I'm hoping I'm missing something. It seems like it would be relevant for things like Detect Magic and, less commonly but more pertinent to what I'm thinking about, entry into PrCs which require being able to cast a certain number of spells of a certain school, e.g. Osteomancer.

Snowbluff
2014-08-05, 11:47 PM
IIRC, it's debatable. No would be safe. For balance, the answer is that it's fine. Some would argue that if it's a specific spell that it belongs to a specific school.

Chronos
2014-08-06, 08:40 AM
Even if you say that it's the same school as the mimicked spell, questions remain. For instance, is Flee the Scene a Conjuration (Teleportation), like Dimension Door, or is it an Illusion (Figment), like Major Image?

Waddacku
2014-08-06, 09:11 AM
It'd be both.

Snowbluff
2014-08-06, 09:22 AM
It'd be both.

Indeed. Descriptors stack. There are spells with 2 schools like Slashing Dispels.