PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Tactics? [Slight spoilers]

Ronsian
2007-03-04, 05:15 PM
What kind of tactics do you think Xykon will employ? Do like in LoTR and try to blow up the walls? Just sack millions of men? And is so, what do you think Hinjo will do back? I think Xykon will waltz up, blow up the walls, and send all the cannon fodder in.

Nightwing
2007-03-04, 05:24 PM
What kind of tactics do you think Xykon will employ? Do like in LoTR and try to blow up the walls? Just sack millions of men? And is so, what do you think Hinjo will do back? I think Xykon will waltz up, blow up the walls, and send all the cannon fodder in.

I think there is a very good chance of no tactics unless :redcloak: finds more acid-spiting beetles:smallsmile:.

Haruki-kun
2007-03-04, 09:49 PM
If I were Xykon, I'd send out the MITD already. But I doubt he will.
I don't think he'll have a hard time blowing up the walls, which would tactically be the best choice.

Elliot Kane
2007-03-04, 10:13 PM
I think he'll blow up a few things at random, but any real thinking on tactics will be down to Redcloak, who is clearly the planner of the operation.

Xykon will probably just blast everything in sight. I suspect Redcloak will use Xykon as a distraction to aid in his plan.

1337_master
2007-03-04, 11:10 PM
Just out of humor, groups of 3

the_tick_rules
2007-03-05, 03:25 PM
i'm predicting he'll just throw them all at the city. his caring of his minions is epicly low. Redcloak may work on a coherent strategy, but it'll be an uphill battle.

Aegeus
2007-03-05, 04:54 PM
Leeeeeeeeeroy Jenkins! Obviously.

Talyn
2007-03-05, 10:24 PM
Indeed. Xykon's tactics will consist of:

1) Buffing himself so he can't be taken down with holy-water arrows or disruption weapons (he's no idiot, after all). Stoneskin, Iron Body, Protection from Arrows, Protection from Good, Spell Immunity (Necromany) and Spell Immunity (Abjuration) are good choices. Blur, while we are at it - but NOT improved invisibility. He wants his foes to quake in fear at the sight of him.

2) Getting on his dracolich and/or casting Fly on himself.

3) Get above the walls and just throw death wherever it amuses him.

Now, REDCLOAK's plan, on the other hand, might be more involved. He'll probably spread his forces out enough to put constant low-level pressure (just ranged fire and siege weapons, no ladders or magic) all over the wall.

Then, he'll take a large force of decently tough (3rd level+ Hobgoblins and some ghouls) and attack the part of the wall closest to the harbor. If it works, great! But it will probably be beaten back, because the defenders will send their reserves there.

Once that battle gets going, he'll send an elite team (everyone in the army with PC levels, and those with 6+ levels of warrior) over the wall on the other (mountain) side of the city - their job is to either hack their way to the gates, if that looks possible, or to penetrate into the city.

The elite force, once in the city, will avoid pitched battles as best they can, and instead get as close to the palace as possible. Then they'll activate their magic summoning stone and teleport Xykon, Redcloak, the MitD and the undead dragon to them. Xykon will personally lead the assault on the palace along with Redclock, MitD, and his hobgoblin commandos. The dragon is rearguard.

SandroTheMaster
2007-03-05, 11:37 PM
Except that Spell Immunity chooses a single spell, not school and is a divine spell, not arcane (and as far as we can tell, Xykon isn't a dark priest).

He could probably cast foresight, though.

And he will surely cast a lot of Weird and Wail of Banshee at the battle. (Why cause damage when you can kill?)

It would be fun if a paladin officer of the Azure City army faces Xykon and gives a long speech of how he will put an end into his evil with his holy sword, driving Xykon to sleep out of boredon. Then he would shout at Xykon to wake him, complaining of the humiliation as Xykon just says: "You bore me. FINGER OF DEATH!" killing the officer before the "epic" battle even beggins.

Professor Tanhauser
2007-03-05, 11:41 PM
I think Xykon will use the old "Sacrifice a boatload of minions" tactic as there doesn't seem to be any problem it can't solve.