PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Need help building a non-divine prophet of potatoes (In less than 36 hours)

GoldenArbiter
2014-08-06, 01:12 AM
So, my currant character was deemed by the GM to be no longer allowed due to racial restrictions that he implemented after the game started, so basically, I'm just gonna change things around. I haven't played PF or D&D in general in about 2 years now so I would like to utilise the wiseness of GiantITP.

The concept originally involved a dragonwraught kobald and a really high diplomacy skill trying to recruit people to the church of potato, and worship the glorious root etc etc. Level 1 had me with a nice +12 bonus to diplomacy because of being a dragonwraught kobald. The whole thing was based around getting the leadership feat at level 6.

So now what I need is a race and class that does exactly that, but in a more core setting. The restrictions I've been given are:
No dragons or dragon like creatures
No psionics
No divine spell castors
Level 1 (with plans for future levels)
And I would personally rather not play a good character, but if I need to for the character, so be it.

I would also like to say that the character doesn't really need to be combat effective. We already have a terrible party dichotomy (1 sorc, 1 gunslinger, 2 barbarians, 1 druid) so I want to keep it nice and ****ty.

I have access to every book in 3.5/PF except forgotten realms and the various dragon/psion books. If you do have anything for this, please site the book and page# so I can find it more easily.

Feel free to treat this as some kind of thought exercise, and thanks.

NeoPhoenix0
2014-08-06, 01:20 AM
what about a gnome monk? or maybe a dwarf? those races seem to be related to potatoes in my mind for some reason. and monks are generally devoted but not divine.

jiriku
2014-08-06, 01:30 AM
I would suggest bard, transitioning to the evangelist (CD 39) prestige class once you qualify. Evangelist 5 lets you convert people as a full-round action. All hail the church of potato!

GoldenArbiter
2014-08-06, 01:37 AM
I would suggest bard, transitioning to the evangelist (DC 39) prestige class once you qualify. Evangelist 5 lets you convert people as a full-round action. All hail the church of potato!

Unfortunately, I don't think that would work due to the fact that a potato is technically not a deity...
Also, I think PF erratad that out of the evangelist...
(Which book is DC?)

Sayt
2014-08-06, 02:08 AM
Dragon Compendium, I think. (Related to Dragon magazine, not Dragon Dragons.

There is however, an Demagogue (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/demagogue) Bard.

VexingFool
2014-08-06, 02:47 AM
Kitsune Trickster/Sanctified Rogue.

Kitsune Trickster gets to add INT to Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise and Sense motive. Also gets charm person at 3rd.

Sanctified rogue gets augury at 8th. Use UMD in the meantime to show them how the mighty spud favors you.

Take the gregarious alternate racial trait.

Good rogue Talents:
Charmer
Coax Information
Convincing lie

GoldenArbiter
2014-08-06, 03:28 AM
Kitsune Trickster/Sanctified Rogue.

Kitsune Trickster gets to add INT to Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise and Sense motive. Also gets charm person at 3rd.

Sanctified rogue gets augury at 8th. Use UMD in the meantime to show them how the mighty spud favors you.

Take the gregarious alternate racial trait.

Good rogue Talents:
Charmer
Coax Information
Convincing lie

That sounds interesting. Can I get some references though?
What is UMD?

Khedrac
2014-08-06, 03:43 AM
What is UMD?
Use Magic Device - with access to the right items potentially the most powerful skill in the game...

GoldenArbiter
2014-08-06, 03:56 AM
Use Magic Device - with access to the right items potentially the most powerful skill in the game...

Do you know what books he was referencing though?

VexingFool
2014-08-06, 04:20 AM
Everything is on the PFSRD (www.d20pfsrd.com/). I am at work so I can't get to the pfsrd directly but I can link the google sites. The book references are at the bottom of the pages.

Kitsune (https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-kitsune) and the gregarious Alternate racial trait.

Kitsune Trickster (https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-kitsune/kitsune-trickster-rogue-kitsune)
Sanctified Rogue (https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo---rogue-archetypes/sanctified-rogue)

Rogue Talents (https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/classes/core-classes/rogue/rogue-talents)

I don't know if you are playing with pathfinder Traits, but if you are a good one for this build is Patient Optimist (https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/traits/religion-traits/patient-optimist-goddess-of-travel).

The build I was thinking of had the following stats using a 20pt buy:
(2)STR-12(10)
(5)DEX-14(16)
(3)CON-13
(5)INT-14
(0)WIS-10
(5)CHA-14(16)

You could dump STR or WIS to bump INT up to a 16 if you wanted to.

Diplomacy:
Rank - 1
Trained - 3
CHA - 3
INT - 2
Trait -2
Total - +11

I'd probably take weapon finesse at first so i wasn't totally gimped in combat. Or take skill focus: diplomacy if you really want to buff it.

2014-08-06, 06:16 AM
I suppose I'll add in my two cents. Go barbarian/bard (emphasis on barbarian), give him a bit of Cha, and aim for Evangelist/Exemplar. Make heavy use of the Intimidate skill, but play the character as thinking themselves to be really suave and persuasive.

I AM GROLNAR, SOLE PROPHET OF ALL POTATO-DOM! SUBMIT TO THE POWER OF THE ALMIGHTY SPUD OR TASTE MY RIGHTEOUS FURY!!

Well, you didn't ask for him to be good at it...

nedz
2014-08-06, 07:56 AM
Sam the Hobbit liked his taters.

How about
Beguiler 5 / Divine Oracle 1 / Beguiler +2 / {Add in 2 more levels of Divine Oracle before 14th, the rest Beguiler}
The timings of the PrC gets you 4th and 7th level spells with Advance Learning for Shadow Conjuration and Greater Shadow Conjuration
Feats
Educated (1), Skill Focus (Knowledge Religion) (3)
Educated gives you Knowledge Religion as a class skill, which you need.
Add in lots of Arcane Disciple picks to grab the tater domains and your good.
This gives you an arcane caster who has the skills and spells to pose as a cleric — thinking RL clerics here — lots of mind control stuff.

Strongheart Halfling would allow you to pick up Arcane Disciple at level 1.

Psyren
2014-08-06, 08:23 AM
You should know that Diplomacy works very differently in Pathfinder. At most you can make people Friendly, and in general you can only shift people two categories as well (though the DM can override this for particularly persuasive arguments), which is not at all the same as auto-converting them to your religion. (Heck, I have to bribe my friends just to move my sofa, much less switch faiths.)

Spore
2014-08-06, 10:27 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think that would work due to the fact that a potato is technically not a deity...

Isn't "potato" a divine concept then?

GoldenArbiter
2014-08-06, 01:43 PM
Isn't "potato" a divine concept then?

It would really help I read the cleric entry of the PHB before I posted this, eh? Thanks for that little synapse.