PDA

View Full Version : Vista's here with your gaming

Healos
2007-03-04, 05:21 PM
Gaming...ahhhhhhh. Well for all you people that wanna know if your(oversized) library of games will run on Vista? Will all the money be for nothing?? Will you throw stuff at me for putting this up?(I hope not :p)...Well here's a guy/girl's(I'm not sure) test with it...but any hoo read it, all of it before you argue with me OK...great, let's get reading! read read read the long statement!

(http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2090571,00.asp)
Keep hitting "Next" or "Continue" until you can't anymore.

The Evil Thing
2007-03-04, 05:35 PM
Interestingly, I can get Monkey Island 3 to run on Vista but not XP. :smallconfused:

Some games theoretically run fine but the installers fail. I don't expect games that required me to jump through hoops to play on XP to run on Vista. I imagine some enterprising souls will figure out how to get the classics working. :smallsmile:

Samiam303
2007-03-04, 06:04 PM
They're gonna have to do SOMETHING, because Vista just isn't selling. I wouldn't be surprised if they release a repackaged WinXP that supports a lot of these new games.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-04, 08:19 PM
Meh... I don't game on my PC. It's too damned expensive to update my system every six months so I can run the latest software. I'd rather just stick with my $399 console (which will be viable for the next three to five years). The article probably could have been layed out a lot better... I was more interested in seeing which games DIDN'T run smoothly. The endless stream of "runs perfectly" was rather dry and felt like it was trying to prove a point rather than inform me about the product.

melchizedek
2007-03-04, 10:44 PM
It's not at all surprising that a bunch of popular titles from the past few years are going to run smoothly. I'd be far more interested to learn about older, slightly less popular titles.

Om
2007-03-05, 06:40 AM
Bah. Vista will get me eventually with its DirectX10 but I'm going to leave the upgrade as late as possible. I might even make the move to Apple or Linux in order to avoid having that spyware on my PC.

Ronsian
2007-03-05, 03:13 PM
Meh, I'm not going to upgrade for awhile anyway. New operating systems always have bugs, whether or not all the testers find them. I have loads of old games, which I still quite often play. If one of them doesn't work, then thats 30$ or so I wasted on the game, or even the 100$ on Vista. I do alot of gaming, and so XP is fine. When new games start coming out for Vista only... that's when I'll get my problem.

atteSmythe
2007-03-05, 05:43 PM
Bah. Vista will get me eventually with its DirectX10 but I'm going to leave the upgrade as late as possible.

My position exactly. QFT.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-03-05, 09:26 PM
They're gonna have to do SOMETHING, because Vista just isn't selling. I wouldn't be surprised if they release a repackaged WinXP that supports a lot of these new games.

Well of course it isn't selling. It just came out, and Microsoft has yet to work out all the bugs in the system. Nobody wants to own a buggy OS. Wait a few years, and it will start selling just fine. Once Vista replaces XP as the OS installed on new PC's being bought, there won't be anything to worry about. That, and not everyone who buys a computer is interested in gaming. In fact, I'd say that people who buy computers for gaming are probably in the minority. So, why would the normal population buy an OS that's geared towards something they don't want.

Samiam303
2007-03-05, 10:35 PM
Well of course it isn't selling. It just came out, and Microsoft has yet to work out all the bugs in the system. Nobody wants to own a buggy OS. Wait a few years, and it will start selling just fine. Once Vista replaces XP as the OS installed on new PC's being bought, there won't be anything to worry about. That, and not everyone who buys a computer is interested in gaming. In fact, I'd say that people who buy computers for gaming are probably in the minority. So, why would the normal population buy an OS that's geared towards something they don't want.
Naw... with all this different version confusion, I'm thinking people are gonna be scared off of vista.. I'm predicting a Windows ME scale flop.

The Evil Thing
2007-03-06, 01:05 AM
I'm pretty sure MS aren't going to let that happen if it kills them.

Beleriphon
2007-03-06, 02:55 AM
In fact, I'd say that people who buy computers for gaming are probably in the minority. So, why would the normal population buy an OS that's geared towards something they don't want.

Maybe, but almost all computer innovations in the last decade have revolved around advancing computer games. At a functional level my old 286 works for doing word processing. Graphics cards, sound cards, more powerful processors, everything is there to advance gaming to the next level.

I think the article was interesting, while I would have liked to see what didn't work, its nice to see that once I do get around to upgrading to Vista my games should run fine.

Samiam303
2007-03-06, 09:22 AM
I'm pretty sure MS aren't going to let that happen if it kills them.
Well, unless they cut the prices by a LOT on the actually decent versions of vista, and remove that DRM stuff, there's nothing I see them being able to do about it.

As funny as this may seem, Microsoft needs to realize that DRM isn't gonna solve the piracy issue- it's just gonna cause people to stick with DRM-free XP. And even if you're not pirating, DRM still stinks. :annoyed:

NEO|Phyte
2007-03-06, 09:31 AM
And even if you're not pirating, DRM still stinks. :annoyed:
Yep. Nothing like quality reduction, plus if it decides that something is happening that it doesn't like, it stops playing, just in case that something is you attempting to copy your reduced-quality media. Good times.

Om
2007-03-06, 10:58 AM
And even if you're not pirating, DRM still stinks. :annoyed:Indeed. I for one refuse to have Microsoft tell me what I can and can't play on my PC.

Ishmael
2007-03-06, 09:07 PM
Well, as I am going to college within a year, theoretically, my computer gaming time will be cut drastically in favor of my greater passions. So, I will not upgrade. Even better, I am going to stop my war versus my computer. I am getting a Mac.

Vista drove me away from Microsoft. I don't want a machine that baby-sits me.

RandomNPC
2007-03-06, 09:17 PM
this is why you keep your windows XP install disk. or do what i did and keep your windows 98 install disk. each windows from 95 to XP (excluding ME, im not sure about that one) is the previous windows with about 10,000 lines of code added or changed, and looking at any OS thats not much code.

Healos
2007-03-06, 09:46 PM
ouch, Vista is a baby-sitter? I vow to brake its coding like steel against plastic...muhahahahhahaha! OKKKK...well...Ehmm....yaaaaaaaaaa

Really I can wait to see how crazy Vista is going to be.

\/1574 5h4|| 83 m1n3!!!

Ego Slayer
2007-03-06, 09:54 PM
ouch, Vista is a baby-sitter? I vow to brake its coding like steel against plastic...muhahahahhahaha! OKKKK...well...Ehmm....yaaaaaaaaaa
It's crap coding it going to break your sanity before you break the coding itself.:smallwink:

Tekar
2007-03-07, 05:30 AM
It's not at all surprising that a bunch of popular titles from the past few years are going to run smoothly. I'd be far more interested to learn about older, slightly less popular titles.
Indeed, will my infinity games run? How about Bloodlines and Medieval 1: TW? Oh, and I couldn't care less about dx10, new games suck anyway.

Neo
2007-03-07, 06:31 AM
Yeah, i'm not gonna shell out for a decent version of Vista at £100+ just so my computer can do less, it'd be like paying for Linux.

Plus I own hundreds of old games which work with XP but probably not with Vista.

Roderick_BR
2007-03-07, 06:50 AM
I have a friend that got Vista with her new laptop, and she's hating it, because almost all her programs are giving her problems, including security programs, and DvD programs, not only games. Programs she paid for, and is pissed off she can't use them anymore.

The Evil Thing
2007-03-07, 01:28 PM
Neo, Home Premium is roughly £80. That's a "decent" version. (Home Basic should suit you fine but the Aero interface is quite fun if utterly useless)

Erloas
2007-03-07, 02:06 PM
I have a friend that got Vista with her new laptop, and she's hating it, because almost all her programs are giving her problems, including security programs, and DvD programs, not only games. Programs she paid for, and is pissed off she can't use them anymore.

As for the security programs, it really isn't any suprise at all to me that they no longer work with Vista, and I'm suprised anyone else is suprised at it either.

As we know security programs inheriently need rights to all sorts of things that normal programs shouldn't access. It is a lot of the functions and abilities that security programs use that are the same things that viruses and hacks use. If you are reading the files of other programs and watching what they are changing and are able to read and check on vital system components then the only real difference between a virus and a security program is what they do with that access. The security programs will need to be re-writen to take into account the base level of access windows gives to any 3rd party program. If all I had to do as a virus writer to get past the security was make it so my program has "Norton Anti-virus" as the name or company name then the security system isn't worth anything.

As for the other programs its a hard distinction to make if a 3rd party's program works or not if that is the fault of the 3rd party program or if its the fault of the OS. Most people always place the blame on one without knowing which was the real problem. There are a lot of short-cuts some programs make that aren't actually right but they work. I saw it a lot in school, especially with hardware control things where instead of using the OS interface like they should they went around it and modified things by hand, which worked until things change then they stopped working, but if they had used the built-in interface like they were supposed to it would have keep working fine.

It is very annoying but its also good to place the blame in the right place, and really without knowing more about everything. It is hard to say if Vista changed how things were supposed to be done (the proper way) which caused the program to stop working and would be Vista's fault or if the other program used things that worked but wasn't really the right way and stopped working when things weren't exactly as expected.

The reason you don't see this as much in Macs is simply because of the fact that a much larger precentage of the stuff released for Macs are not 3rd party and usually made by larger companies and not a dozen self taught programers that started their own company.
It also seems to happen all the time in Linux because everyone making things for it does so in their own way but the users know enough to find the fixes for the changes on their own.