PDA

View Full Version : Totemist build help.

m149307
2014-08-06, 04:47 AM
Ok, So I am a 3rd level Dwarf Totemist (only a few races were allowed, so I chose Dwarf). I need help on making a build for this character though, since I have not used Totemist before. I was hoping to go the melee (tank) route... so can I please get some help? My stats (which were given to me as such) are: 17,16,15,14,13,12,11 (there is an extra score for comeliness, which I could care less about.) Any and all help is appreciated.

Krazzman
2014-08-06, 04:55 AM
Dwarf seems good.

16 in Str, 17 in Con and 15 in Dex would be my first recommendation. Further put the 14 in Intelligence as Skillpoints aren't that plenty.

IF you can get Dragonblooded subtype (see the Book Dragon Magic) then you might want to take some Dragon Soulmelds/Binds that might even free your choice of bind.

Totemist is definitly a Class that wants to get as many attacks as possible.

To further read about what is good on a totemist and some sample builds you can read danzibr's guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?287304-danzibr-s-Totemist-Handbook).

Hope this helps.

m149307
2014-08-06, 04:58 AM
Unfortunately Dragonblood is not allowed :smallfrown:

Psyren
2014-08-06, 09:07 AM
Good stats, your DM is generous. Two very important questions:

1) Are flaws allowed?
2) Is retraining allowed?

As for your stats - put the 17 in Str I'd say, because that is the stat you'll be pumping and you want to hit that 18 sooner rather than later. 16 in Con is fine - by the time you're able to have more than 6 melds (13th level), you'll definitely have a Con item. For the rest - 15 Dex, 14 Wis, 13 Int, 12 Cha and 11 "comeliness."

3rd level is good because it means you have two feats and your totem chakra. Also, be sure to keep track of your Totem's Protection, it's easily overlooked and can save your hide. Wear the best light armor you can afford, consider a buckler and maybe a potion or two of barkskin.

For feats I would go with:

1) Expanded Soulmeld Capacity - you can change which meld this applies to every morning, but generally you want it on your primary combat meld.
3) Power Attack - you want as few penalties as possible.

At 6 you want Bonus Essentia asap. At 9 go for Multiattack.

For melds I would go with:

1) Offense: Sphinx Claws is my choice here - I like this not just because you get two primary natural attacks at 3rd level with +2 to hit and damage, but also because they help you get around. Lots of low-level traversal requires strength-based checks - i.e. climbing, swimming and jumping - and nobody can fly yet. This also protects you from grapples, trips, bull rushes etc.
2) Utility: Threefold Mask of the Chimera - flanking is a pain at this level as it makes you very easy to hit and you take a lot of extra damage if rogues are around. This meld is great because it's what I call a "no-point wonder" - it's useful even with no essentia in it, which is good because you'll want your Arms fully loaded most of the time during a fight. But this meld is also good out of combat it boosts your Spot and Search, reducing the chances for a party ambush. When you're not in a fight, keep one point here and one point in your defensive meld, and switch them to the claws when it's time to rip enemies to pieces.
3) Defense: For this I either go with Lammasu Mantle or Wormtail Belt. Both give you AC bonuses - LM's doesn't scale but deflection is hard to get at this level so it will likely stack with whatever. It does require you to be Good though. If you aren't good or your enemies aren't evil, go with Wormtail. Against enemies that are hitting often, you can boost the AC in this one by reallocating from your claws.

m149307
2014-08-06, 09:32 AM
I am allowed 2 flaws. Retraining is a no. Also, I didn't know you could move your points around... that makes is even easier.

Psyren
2014-08-06, 09:41 AM
I am allowed 2 flaws. Retraining is a no. Also, I didn't know you could move your points around... that makes is even easier.

You can reallocate some or all of them as a single swift action, it's one of the key tactical considerations for meldshapers. The only exceptions are feats (which are locked in for 24 hours) and spells (locked in until cast.)

For flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm) I would take Pathetic (apply to "comeliness") and Frail (you'll have plenty of HP; -20 over the course of your entire career is worth a feat.)

These allow you to shift Multiattack down to level 1, and also pick up either Power Attack or Cerulean Will (this will come in handy at later levels when your will saves need help, but for now just use it as 1 free essentia.) At 9th, instead of multiattack as I suggested above, go for Double Chakra and put that on your totem.

EDIT: Given those high ability scores you may not qualify for Pathetic - if that is the case, go for Shaky.

m149307
2014-08-06, 09:52 AM
Ok, so expanded soulmeld capacity, power attack, Multiattack, and Cerulean Will (first 3 are level 1+2 flaws, 4th is level 3)?

Fax Celestis
2014-08-06, 09:53 AM
Comeliness? Are you guys using BoEF?

m149307
2014-08-06, 09:56 AM
Fax, I don't know. I was just told that it is in the game.

Psyren
2014-08-06, 10:01 AM
Ok, so expanded soulmeld capacity, power attack, Multiattack, and Cerulean Will (first 3 are level 1+2 flaws, 4th is level 3)?

Yep. You can put Multiattack later because it won't do anything with your Sphinx Claws (both are primary so they won't take penalties.) Get ESC, PA and CW at 1st level. Then Multiattack, then Bonus Essentia, then Double Chakra.

Fouredged Sword
2014-08-06, 10:10 AM
For a low level defensive meld, you can't do much better than the Astral Vembrance, if you can find the web expansion. Dr 6/magic covers a LOT of low level threats. Also, it makes for a great way to snag early flight if you bind it to your arms. Very versatile, very nice. It drops off in power about level 6, when magic becomes more common on everything.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-06, 10:16 AM
For a low level defensive meld, you can't do much better than the Astral Vembrance, if you can find the web expansion. Dr 6/magic covers a LOT of low level threats. Also, it makes for a great way to snag early flight if you bind it to your arms. Very versatile, very nice. It drops off in power about level 6, when magic becomes more common on everything.

Sure, but at that point you can bind it for two natural attacks, plus you don't have to bind them to your totem slot to get the natural attacks (unlike a bunch of totemist melds).

m149307
2014-08-06, 10:17 AM
Psyren, what do you think of Sphinx claws versus Girallon Arms?

Fouredged Sword, web enhancements are also out, unfortunately.

Psyren
2014-08-06, 10:26 AM
Astral Vambraces are here. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20060217a)

Sadly, you also need to dip Incarnate or burn a feat to pick them up.

Psyren, what do you think of Sphinx claws versus Girallon Arms?

Fouredged Sword, web enhancements are also out, unfortunately.

And web enhancements are out, darn.

Girallon Arms are decent, but early on the lack of multiattack will hurt; even after you get multiattack 3 of them will still have a penalty (albeit a lesser one.) I'm not convinced they add more damage than SC either considering that three of them use half your Str modifier I also prefer Sphinx Claws' boost to your Str checks at low levels, and at mid to higher levels you will definitely want its pounce.

Piggy Knowles
2014-08-06, 10:40 AM
At low levels I prefer Landshark Boots as my go-to damage meld. Pre-pounce, they outdamage both Sphinx Claws and Girallon Arms, and they are cool. Once you get the hand chakra binding, though, binding SC for pounce and taking Girallon Arms and Multiattack is typically the best option.

EDIT: As an aside, for something to think about down the road... If you want to deal damage by pouncing and picking up a whole bunch of attacks, Leading the Charge (obtained either via feats or by dipping Warblade) is a lot of fun. Even without any levels in Warblade it adds half your character level in damage on a charge to all of your attacks. If you're pouncing with six or seven attacks, that damage adds up quickly.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-06, 11:08 AM
At low levels I prefer Landshark Boots as my go-to damage meld. Pre-pounce, they outdamage both Sphinx Claws and Girallon Arms, and they are cool. Once you get the hand chakra binding, though, binding SC for pounce and taking Girallon Arms and Multiattack is typically the best option.

EDIT: As an aside, for something to think about down the road... If you want to deal damage by pouncing and picking up a whole bunch of attacks, Leading the Charge (obtained either via feats or by dipping Warblade) is a lot of fun. Even without any levels in Warblade it adds half your character level in damage on a charge to all of your attacks. If you're pouncing with six or seven attacks, that damage adds up quickly.

Drop a feat on Shape Soulmeld (Thunderstep Greaves) for extra fun, plus added on-hit stun.

Psyren
2014-08-06, 11:15 AM
Good call, Landshark is a great choice - pounce at level 2. Go with that instead.

Drop a feat on Shape Soulmeld (Thunderstep Greaves) for extra fun, plus added on-hit stun.

Don't both of those occupy (Feet)? He'd have to wait until level 9 minimum, and even then he would have to choose between doubling Feet or Totem first.

m149307
2014-08-06, 11:27 AM
Ok, so landshark instead of claws. What do I bind to my totem, what do I bind elsewhere, and what do I just meld?

Fax Celestis
2014-08-06, 11:27 AM
Don't both of those occupy (Feet)? He'd have to wait until level 9 minimum, and even then he would have to choose between doubling Feet or Totem first.

I generally go Sphinx Claws/Thunderstep Greaves/Girallon Arms +/- Astral Vambraces. Landshark just isn't my scene, yo.

Red Fel
2014-08-06, 11:29 AM
A Totemist, you say? A Dwarf Totemist?

Oh, my friend. You know what you have to do. In my sig, you will find a handbook. It is a very happy handbook, about a very happy PrC that you will love, for Dwarves who enjoy Incarnum, called the Ironsoul Forgemaster. Click the link, read the handbook.

You want melee/tank with Incarnum, you don't get much better than this class.

As an aside, I should point out that, unless you're using Draconic Soulmelds, the number of natural weapons you can have active at a single time is fairly low. So why not use manufactured weapons? Specifically, weapons you've crafted yourself, that give you awesome bonuses?

Want to be really sneaky? Get a Soulmeld that gives you a bite attack, like the Brass Mane. Now get a Mouthpick Weapon (you're automatically proficient in its use if you have a bite attack). Wield a Spiked Chain in your mouth. Bonus points if you're also wielding one in your hands. Be completely terrifying and completely inaudible at the same time.

And check out the handbook.

Piggy Knowles
2014-08-06, 11:29 AM
Ok, so landshark instead of claws. What do I bind to my totem, what do I bind elsewhere, and what do I just meld?

Landshark needs to be bound to Totem to give you its pseudo-pounce, so that's an obvious choice.

Psyren
2014-08-06, 12:42 PM

Well, at level 3 you have exactly 1 bind and one chakra open. Think carefully now :smallwink:

Krazzman
2014-08-06, 02:11 PM
Speaking from experience:

I would go Sphinx Claws. I tried out Gorrillon Arms and other damage melds but SC never let me down while the others had their strengths but overall weren't worth it. The fun thing is you can try out everything and change it the next day if it didn't work out like you thought.
Also you can spend 3 Essentia in SC with ESC. 1 from Level, 1 from Totem Bind and 1 from ESC.
Furthermore I switched between Pegasus Mantle and Kraken Mantle as it was most of the time swimming (lot's of sea travel) or delving high places. In town I usually went with Worg Boots and currently we are in a desert so I have the Phoenix Ring thing shaped.

IF we are really going to get into the whole dip ToB, why not the Crusader? For me it seems like a better choice due to:
Getting the Stance to heal 2 HP for every hit, still getting the Charge one or the possibility to get Wall of Blades.

Also stat wise I would still go with 17 Str, 15 Dex, 16 Con, 14 Int, 13 Wis, 12 Cha and 11 Comeliness.
Because afaik you don't get skill points retroactively at least that's how some groups I know played (OP: ask the DM on this)... but I like to have as much skill points as possible...

Piggy Knowles
2014-08-06, 02:17 PM
I tend to prefer Warblade for Totemists, mostly due to Tiger Claw synergy, but Crusader works as well. (Actually, two of the characters I'm currently playing are multiclass ToB/MoI characters - a Totemist/Warblade and a Crusader/Incarnate.)

Troacctid
2014-08-06, 02:27 PM
Yep. You can put Multiattack later because it won't do anything with your Sphinx Claws (both are primary so they won't take penalties.) Get ESC, PA and CW at 1st level. Then Multiattack, then Bonus Essentia, then Double Chakra.

Do you even qualify for Multiattack at 1st level? Normally you don't get your natural weapons until 2nd level, so it would have to be at 3 regardless.

m149307
2014-08-06, 09:06 PM
Ok, I forgot to ask: what should I spend my 2700 gold on? Since I don't need a weapon... spend it on armor?

dextercorvia
2014-08-06, 10:03 PM
Ok, I forgot to ask: what should I spend my 2700 gold on? Since I don't need a weapon... spend it on armor?

Nothing wrong with a Mithril Chain Shirt and a Healing Belt. That leaves you with 850gp. Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker and a Least Armor crystal with what's left?

m149307
2014-08-06, 11:05 PM
how much is the healing belt, and which book?

m149307
2014-08-06, 11:24 PM
Also, is it possible to have a soulmeld with no points in it active?

Piggy Knowles
2014-08-06, 11:27 PM
The healing belt is in the Magic Item Compendium. I want to say it costs 750gp, but I honestly can't remember offhand.

And yes, you can have a soulmeld with no points of essentia invested in it.

m149307
2014-08-13, 02:32 AM
For the wormtail belt (sorry, I just read this) it says that if I don't have a Natural Armor Bonus, then my effective bonus is +0 instead of +2... unless I am reading that wrong? Can someone help?

Troacctid
2014-08-13, 04:46 AM
For the wormtail belt (sorry, I just read this) it says that if I don't have a Natural Armor Bonus, then my effective bonus is +0 instead of +2... unless I am reading that wrong? Can someone help?

It's just answering the question "But how can I 'improve my existing natural armor bonus' if I don't have a natural armor bonus?"

Basically, 0 + 2 = 2.