PDA

View Full Version : Trap

Fwiffo86
2014-08-06, 04:54 PM
I was thinking, do we have anything resembling a standardized trap layout anywhere? DC's, etc. I can't seem to locate anything online anywhere, or in my test packets.... hrmmmm

Which makes me think...

IT'S A TRAP! MIMIC!

Secret Bard
2014-08-06, 07:00 PM
For now, just the general DC table on page 58.

E: Should the trap be hard to find? Easy? Somewhere in between? Just try to gauge it using that table.

rlc
2014-08-06, 09:19 PM
not that it has much information, but there are traps in the starter set that you can base your traps off of.

Lokiare
2014-08-06, 09:39 PM
I thought I saw somewhere that traps were always nearly impossible DC's that require tool proficiency and caused massive damage? No wait, that was 1E and 2E. Never mind.:smallbiggrin:

Tholomyes
2014-08-06, 10:11 PM
Personally I hope that whatever advice for traps they have in the DMG stresses the importance of traps having effects that aren't so easy to heal or fix as HP damage. 3e and 4e always had the problem of having traps that dealt damage only, which weren't at all useful. They'd either kill you, or they'd just cost you a healing surge or a few charges from your wand of CLW.

HorridElemental
2014-08-06, 10:20 PM
Personally I hope that whatever advice for traps they have in the DMG stresses the importance of traps having effects that aren't so easy to heal or fix as HP damage. 3e and 4e always had the problem of having traps that dealt damage only, which weren't at all useful. They'd either kill you, or they'd just cost you a healing surge or a few charges from your wand of CLW.

One of my favorite traps to use on players is that it turns them black n white (like old cartoons) for 2d4-1 sessions on failed save.

I also like the simple snare trap. Immobilize, disadvantage, and are generally annoying.

Transmute rock to mud - transmute mud to rock traps are the best. Kinda like snare traps but you aren't upside down... But harder to get out of.

Spring traps, yeah like in the video games, step on one of these and it sends you flying across the room, into a wall, or whatever I have planned.

Joe the Rat
2014-08-07, 08:23 AM
Debilitating poisons (hello fatigue rules!), electro-magnets (bonus points for high ceilings and a goblin at the power switch), ooze-feeder chutes, ooze-dropping chutes, teleportation traps, nets, spring loaded portcullis traps (damage *and* blocks your passage!), and simply adding an alarm bell to any of the above to alert the residents that someone is trying to sneak in. There's a lot you can do besides poke someone for damage.

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-07, 09:29 AM
I was really unimpressed with the traps in the first session of the starter set (the ones between the road and the goblin cave). There was a snare trap... which would have just snared a party member. OK, cut him down and keep going.

There was also a pit trap, which would have been simple to just climb out of (though may have dealt 1d6 damage.

We avoided both, but they were not exciting challenges.

Later in the cave there was a trap that consisted of two large pools of water that would drain to the lower level of the cave and flood the party, and was triggered by a lever that one of the goblins could pull. This could have been interesting, but we dropped the goblin before he had the chance to pull it.

I will say this though - adding enemies to any of the above traps would have made them much more interesting. Trying to fight goblins while one of your party members is snared, or fighting goblins and blundering into a pit sounds fun.

hawklost
2014-08-07, 09:39 AM
I was really unimpressed with the traps in the first session of the starter set (the ones between the road and the goblin cave). There was a snare trap... which would have just snared a party member. OK, cut him down and keep going.

There was also a pit trap, which would have been simple to just climb out of (though may have dealt 1d6 damage.

We avoided both, but they were not exciting challenges.

Later in the cave there was a trap that consisted of two large pools of water that would drain to the lower level of the cave and flood the party, and was triggered by a lever that one of the goblins could pull. This could have been interesting, but we dropped the goblin before he had the chance to pull it.

I will say this though - adding enemies to any of the above traps would have made them much more interesting. Trying to fight goblins while one of your party members is snared, or fighting goblins and blundering into a pit sounds fun.

I was happy that there were traps and what they were in the first session. I felt that the first two traps definitely fit the goblin style, not very bright traps that were not very effective. The third trap almost wiped got our Wizard and caused the party to jump into the Wolf pen area before the wolves had been neutralized. This caused an interesting fight inside the Pen. All 3 traps were crude, which is just what I would expect from Goblins.

Hopefully though, as the party faces smarter enemies the Traps will get better.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-07, 09:41 AM
I like how one of the traps in the Cragmaw Hideout is basically "shoddy building work injures the party".