PDA

View Full Version : Help requested: ooze person classes?

gurgleflep
2014-08-06, 07:00 PM
Pretty much exactly what the title says. We've found a template in the Advanced Bestiary (published by Green Ronin) called "Ooze Creature" and I'm allowing it to be used - problem is, we're having difficulties deciding on what class(es) would be good for her. She normally does stealthy characters, highly personable (bards, rogues, beguilers, etc.), but the template gives hits to a lot of the abilities needed.
Any suggestions?

Cowardly Griffo
2014-08-06, 07:03 PM
Oozes are natural grapplers, methinks. So, Setting Sun Swordsage springs to mind immediately.

Also Savage Species has the Extended Reach feat, which lets you stretch your pseudopods and add five feet to your reach. Helpful and thematically appropriate. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: are you guys using 3.5 or Pathfinder? 'Cuz Pathfinder has fairly flavorful ways of letting you be sociable with a lousy Charisma score, like the Reformation Inquisition (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor/inquisitions/inquistions---paizo/reformation-inquisition) and a couple (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/social-traits/student-of-philosophy) of traits (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/social-traits/clever-wordplay). The former pretty much out-and-out requires class choices, but the latter could be picked up with a feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/additional-traits) if you're not open to using PF traits in general.

Psyren
2014-08-06, 07:04 PM
I assume you mean the 3.5 version? (the PF version is still in kickstarter fulfillment phase IIRC.)

If so, it's OGL right? What does the template actually do?

gurgleflep
2014-08-06, 07:09 PM
I'm not sure if it is OGL to be honest, but it is the 3.5 version. Basically, it makes it so you're oozy, have an acidic body, gain in strength and constitution while taking hits to the others, throw acid globs at people, get slowed down, can turn those who fall below 0HP while in one of your gooey-puddles and fail their stabilization checks into minions and... well, that's about it that I can think of :smalleek:

Xaktsaroth
2014-08-06, 07:54 PM
If the Ooze Creature template isn't to your liking, they're always an alternative:

Eberron Campaign Setting has a template called 'Living Spell", which allows you to turn a spell into an ooze creature. Just pick a qualifying spell, cast Awaken Ooze on it(Dragon Com, although, it reads EXACTLY the same as Awaken Undead from Spell Compendium) and you'll have an intelligent ooze.

Heck, if you pick a level 1 spell, the oozes HD will be replaced by the first class level it takes, so no racial HD.

Living Spell, unfortunately contains 'LA: - ', which means it's not for PC's, so talk to your DM about assigning what he feels is a proper value, but, to be completely honest, an awakened Living Spell is about as strong as a Necropolitian(similar immunities, etc...) which has zero LA, so, from my perspective, the LA shouldn't be too high. +1 at most.

Hope that helps. :D

gurgleflep
2014-08-06, 10:13 PM
What kind of spells would this work on? I haven't got any books on hand but am definitely curious.
Also, I'm the DM so... yeah! :smallbiggrin:

Cowardly Griffo
2014-08-06, 10:24 PM
The template can apply to any spell that's not 'targeted' (so, no 'personal,' 'one or more creatures,' 'one object' and all that), and doesn't already create a creature. Mostly, it gets slapped on area-effect spells.

It can actually include more than one spell, but if you want to keep it at CR 1 (which would make sense) it would be a level one spell and arguably a cantrip (I think a cantrip increases the CR by like .5, so round it however you like).

Which spell suits the character best would really depend on what type of character they want to build. I've made a Living Color Spray + Prestidigitation punk-rock bard before, which was pretty danged awesome if I do say so myself.

Also, one key difference between Awaken Undead and Awaken Ooze. The former is Permanent (D), while the latter is Instantaneous. So the player doesn't have to worry about being turned into a stupid blob by a lucky dispel check, which is nice.

Inevitability
2014-08-07, 12:35 AM
I am really surprised by the amount of love living spells are currently getting. Must have something to do with the 'favorite monster' competition.

Cowardly Griffo
2014-08-07, 12:56 AM
Stuff like that seems to come in waves, methinks. Then again, Living Spells have kind of always been cool. :smallbiggrin:

Also? If your player wants to focus on being really oozy, there are the Slime Lord (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-prestige-classes/alluria-publishing/slime-lord) and Oozemaster classes (you can find the latter in Masters of the Wild).

You'll also notice the Squole (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/alluria-publishing/squole) race as one of the former's listed prerequisites. It's a cool race, but not super oozy compared to the other stuff you're looking at. Might be worth allowing your ooze player to take some of the squole feats and such, though?

CommandTortoise
2014-08-07, 01:44 AM
Oozes are natural grapplers, methinks. So, Setting Sun Swordsage springs to mind immediately.
Setting Sun seems pretty appropriate for someone made of ooze (what is ooze anyway? Some kind of fungus?) You're trying to hit the ooze with your sword when all of a sudden it gives way, your sword catches in it, it's rushing around your legs and all of a sudden you're sailing through the air. And Swordsage is a skillmonkey and can presumably at least manage some stealth with Shadow Hand.

Warlock's pretty stat independent and can do stealthy stuff, though it's not gaining much out of the template if you don't go for some kind of melee. And they benefit from Charisma so depending on the template's penalty going face might not be terrible (except for the low skills...)

You know, I'd imagine that a sentient ooze would actually have an easier time sneaking around with their amorphous body. Like in cartoons where they hide behind a narrow pole! As for going face... what's the DC for an ooze to fake being human?

Zombulian
2014-08-07, 02:01 AM
I am really surprised by the amount of love living spells are currently getting. Must have something to do with the 'favorite monster' competition.

I played a Living Spell Healer once. Was pretty fun. Nothing better than an ooze riding a unicorn.

Psyren
2014-08-07, 09:26 AM
Heck, if you pick a level 1 spell, the oozes HD will be replaced by the first class level it takes, so no racial HD.

Note: this rule only applies to "humanoids" (and even then, it appears limited to "humanoid shaped" creatures, like actual humanoids and other bipeds like Elans and Warforged.) Using it on an awakened ooze or animal would probably have it keep that RHD.

Graypairofsocks
2014-08-08, 02:53 AM
If the Ooze Creature template isn't to your liking, they're always an alternative:

Eberron Campaign Setting has a template called 'Living Spell", which allows you to turn a spell into an ooze creature. Just pick a qualifying spell, cast Awaken Ooze on it(Dragon Com, although, it reads EXACTLY the same as Awaken Undead from Spell Compendium) and you'll have an intelligent ooze.

There is also the the Gelatinous Creature template(from savage species), but it changes type to abberation instead and doesn't explicitly grant an ability to squeeze through cracks like most oozes.

Xaktsaroth
2014-08-08, 10:08 PM
Note: this rule only applies to "humanoids" (and even then, it appears limited to "humanoid shaped" creatures, like actual humanoids and other bipeds like Elans and Warforged.) Using it on an awakened ooze or animal would probably have it keep that RHD.

I disagree. I think the word 'humanoid' in that case is refering to the base PC races, as these books are written inclusively.

I'm AFB at the moment, but the d20srd, says: "Creatures with 1 or less HD replace their monster levels with their character levels. The monster loses the attack bonus, saving throw bonuses, skills, and feats granted by its 1 monster HD and gains the attack bonus, save bonuses, skills, feats, and other class abilities of a 1st-level character of the appropriate class."

That's my understanding of it, anyway.

Ratatoskir
2014-08-08, 10:46 PM
Book of Vile Darkness has the Thrall to Juiblex, which in addition to being all about worshipping the demon lord of slimes gives full BAB and Polymorph self at will, with some other goodies.